Unforgettable by Zhie
Summary: A young warrior and an old scholar learn more from one another than they expected to. *Book Four Now Being Added*
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > First Age Characters: Erestor, Glorfindel
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Action or Adventure, Comedic, Dramatic
Special Collection: Illustrated
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 116 Completed: No Word count: 282712 Read: 2354028 Published: July 25 2007 Updated: November 10 2014
Chapter 101 (Book Four: Chapter 12) by Zhie
Author's Notes:
Note: With apologies and much respect to both Slade & Erasure on revamping two really awesome songs (into something surely cheesier) that brought about the idea for this chapter and what led to it.
“Lords, ladies, and gentlefolk of all kinds, we are proud to present for your entertainment the brand-new theatrical experience from the plot-master himself, Lord Duilin. Submitted for your approval, Chameleon!”

The lights dimmed and Glorfindel excitedly drew forth his spectacles in order to see the stage. The black curtains drew back, and revealed a curtain of crushed green velvet with a single elf standing before them. It was Erestor, splendidly dressed – and wearing a wig, Glorfindel realized. His temporary jealousy regarding Erestor’s temporary solution to short-cropped soldier hair was interrupted as the music from the orchestra swelled.

The program stated that the first song was titled ‘Tangle of Lies’. And this is how it went:

When I was young, my parents expected
I would be the perfect son
They needed an heir and my sisters were many
So I was the only one

I learned and I studied all that I could
I tried my best to always be good
I did all the things a proper son should

There was no scenery for this part, just cast members walking across the stage in front of Erestor or behind him: ones that were obviously meant to be his parents, and sisters, and a lady carrying a bundle meant to represent the heir that was mentioned. Following these, Faelion appeared, dressed as a common laborer. He had crossed the stage during the second verse, made eye contact with Erestor during the second line, and paused at the end of the last line to turn slightly. He had a bundle of straw over his shoulder, which he set on the ground and sat upon before taking over the song:

Bound to deception
Bound to be discovered
A bind we are in
Devoid of one another

It was Erestor’s turn again as the green curtain rose up, and behind it, deep magenta. The lady who had carried the bundle across stood there, and Erestor stepped toward her and sang:

When I was older my parents expected
I would find the perfect wife
One who was loyal, devoted and lovely
Someone bound to for life

I married a lady who was well-respected
I sometimes wonder if anyone has detected
I hate my life and wish I could reject it

The lady walked off the stage as Erestor crossed toward Faelion. He walked by as if he did not see the other elf, and in doing so, his hand quite intentionally brushed against Faelion’s arm.

Faelion’s gaze was held longingly in the direction Erestor had disappeared, and again he sung the chorus of the song. He picked up his straw again and the curtains peeled back, changing from pinkish-purple to brilliant sapphire blue. The first lines of the play were spoken by Faelion as he clutched the straw, holding it as if holding a lover in his arms. “An innocent touch can be intimate even when unintended.” The sounds of the orchestra mellowed, a flute and a harp the only instruments still heard as Faelion continued. “I want to... hold your hand. I want to brush your cheek. I want to stroke your hair.” He looked over his shoulder remorsefully. “I want to be misinterpreted.”

In the seat next to him, Tauniel tapped Glorfindel’s arm and leaned in to whisper, “They have really good chemistry together.”

Glorfindel mumbled something that Tauniel did not hear as the sound of the orchestra rose up again.

The play was a masterpiece, though Glorfindel could not help but feel it was not the sort of thing he was used to from Duilin. For an elf very set on keeping his private life secretive, it was an odd topic. It was also a style that was out of sorts for Duilin. Nonetheless, it was always possible that, just as the war had changed everyone else, it had changed Duilin.

The general idea was that Erestor was playing the part of a prince forced to marry and have a child, though he wished something else of life and did not know what. One thing was certain – throughout the first act, his eyes lingered on every blacksmith, stable boy, and male servant that crossed the stage. A few times during the scenes, he would actually lose track of his wife altogether. Faelion, on the other hand, seemed absolutely preoccupied with his duties, which seemed to range from bringing in firewood to turning down the master’s bed to just about anything that Erestor could come up with for him to do.

The first act ended with a very upbeat tune. Faelion was situated atop the stable (for his character slept in the loft) with a friend of his, a scullery maid whose foible was never being able to recall anyone’s name accurately, including that of the prince. A wedding celebration was taking place at the center, and Erestor was supposed to be in joyful spirits for it was the union of his sister to a wealthy businessman (played, surprisingly, by Duilin himself in one of his rare walk-on roles that showcased his ability to dance). Instead, Erestor’s character was off to the side, drinking, grumbling in song to his youngest sister and only character who knew exactly what was wrong with the prince. It was titled the same as the play itself.



Faelion started with the first line, while his companion took the opposite lines:

He is quite a sight
I guess he is alright
You need to check your sight
Run, run away

Like a chameleon
Hiding in the noonday sun
Someday my prince will come
Run, run away

Dream of a different life
He can hardly stand his wife
Still is a better life
Run, run away

Like a chameleon
Hiding in the noonday sun
Someday my prince will come
Run, run away

Below, the wedding party danced, and Erestor’s character and sister sang the next part, with her starting while he took the even lines:

Did you hear him sing?
Singing is not everything
I know you like to sing
Run, run away

Be a chameleon
Go on, have your fun
All things to everyone
Run, run away

It might not be too late
I think it can wait
Then it will be too late
Run, run away

Be a chameleon
Go on, have your fun
All things to everyone
Run, run away

Once more, it shifted back to Faelion and his companion, who sang the lines in the order they had before:

Oh, he is such a lush
I just saw you blush
I said, he is a lush
Run, run away

Like a chameleon
Hiding in the noonday sun
Someday my prince will come
Run, run away

He thinks he is so great
My, it is getting late
He is not that great

“Take that back!” shouted Faelion. The music continued, the dancing continued, but his voice rose about it as he stood and shook his fist angrily. “You know nothing about the prince – you can not even remember his name on a daily basis! How dare you mock him thus? He is great – wonderful, in fact! In fact... in fact, I love him!”

The music, dancing, and chatter had ceased upon the word wonderful, so the exclamative declaration rang out through the theatre to mixed reaction. There were, as expected, some playgoers who stood up and left the theatre. There were also those, like Glorfindel, who were on the edge of their seats for a different reason.

Erestor’s drink had fallen from his hand, but such a well-practiced scene was complete with another character diving under to catch it as the prince made his way to the structure that represented the stable. He disappeared behind it, where the ladder was, and climbed up to complete silence. Faelion leaped up and looked around frantically, finding no way of escape, and turning to find Erestor behind him.

There was a long pause, and faintly, Glorfindel heard a familiar voice behind him murmur, “Kiss him, you fool.”

Erestor did not need the encouragement, for it was already written into the script. The many afternoons and evenings of practice seemed to have paid off, for their act was quite convincing and brought most of the audience to their feet with cheering and applause as the black curtain closed.

Glorfindel, grinning ear to ear and shaking his head, helped Tauniel up from her seat. He had promised a short walk with her during the intermission. His interest in whom had whispered their encouragement behind him made him turn to see who was in the row, but there were three empty seats and no way to tell where the occupants had gone.

They did not return for the second act, though, the theatre was a little sparser all around than it had been when the first curtain rose. The rest of the play had the audience in stitches, and ended with a reprise of the song from the end of the first act. Instead of staying on stage for their curtain calls, the cast would bow and then jump off the stage (the ladies were helped down by the male cast members), only to mingle into the audience and pull random people onto their feet to dance in the aisles.

“Oh, this is marvelous!” decided Tauniel, clapping louder. “Oh, I wish I could join in, but I do not think the little one would be so happy with me.”

“Do not worry; I am stuck here as well,” Glorfindel reminded her. “We can suffer a lack of entertainment together.” He noted that the actresses were pulling ladies from thfa e audience, while the actors were selecting males to dance with. It was all quite playful and held to the theme of the play, though in the back of his mind Glorfindel worried a little about the consequences of it all.

“You can go and dance a little,” argued Tauniel gently. “Although the healer said I should not exert myself, I heard him tell you that you should still get some exercise beyond just walking.”

“Yes, but—“

“Do you want to end up looking like Salgant?”

“That was not very nice,” said Glorfindel, though he made no attempt to hide his smirk. The principle actors were taking their bows, and Glorfindel clapped even louder when Faelion and Erestor came out onto the stage. Faelion jumped off almost immediately, though Erestor stayed to bow a few more times. Glorfindel caught Erestor’s gaze and gave him a very warm smile; Erestor jumped off of the stage and walked down the left aisle, the same aisle that Glorfindel and Tauniel were sitting near.

“Care to dance?”

Glorfindel looked up and away from the elf that was approaching him. With hand extended, Faelion stood beside his chair and gave him a wink. “Unless the lady objects?”

“Take him,” insisted Tauniel. She even gave Glorfindel a little shove off his seat. He stumbled onto his feet and could not object as Faelion helped him up... and right into a waltz.

“So? What did you think?” Faelion led Glorfindel slowly away from the stage. “Did you enjoy the play?”

“Ah, yes. Yes, it was good.”

“Good? Just good?”

“I mean, great. It was spectacular. The songs were great.” Glorfindel caught a glance over Faelion’s shoulder and saw Erestor had slowed his step and was meandering a little. He almost thought he could hear what Erestor was thinking, on whether cutting in was appropriate or a good idea or to telling... but that made no sense to Glorfindel, for only when Erestor wanted him to hear what he was thinking did he farspeak, and Erestor looked confused in the way he wandered around the couples that were already dancing and singing.

“It was so much fun to do,” said Faelion. “I am a little worried at King Turgon’s early departure, though.”

“Turgon was here?” Glorfindel asked in alarm.

Faelion nodded. “He was sitting right behind you, with Idril and Maeglin. They left halfway through.”

“Behind me? Are you sure?” Glorfindel managed to catch another glance of Erestor, who was being tapped on the shoulder by a messenger. The two spoke briefly, and then both left in a hurry through one of the side exits. “I wonder where he is going?”

“Who?” By the time Faelion had turned, Erestor was gone.

“Never mind. So, you are sure Turgon was sitting behind me?” asked Glorfindel.

Another nod, and Faelion danced them into an alcove where the ushers sat. It was empty now, and Faelion pulled a cord that dropped a privacy curtain to close off the area. “I have a little surprise for you.”

“For me?” Glorfindel cocked his head to the side. “Why?”

“Because.” Faelion had backed Glorfindel up against the wall, his hands playing with the loose open collar of Glorfindel’s shirt. “Timing is everything. Do you know what I was doing ten minutes ago?”

“Uh... you were on stage.”

“I was on stage,” repeated Faelion. “I was on stage, kissing Erestor.” He leaned closer. “Do you want to know what he tastes like?”

Glorfindel moaned as he was kissed deeply. The music in the theatre kept them concealed as he and Faelion stayed alone in the alcove another few minutes.

Someone knocked on the wall next to the alcove and they scrambled into opposite corners. “Are the two of you in there?” hissed Tauniel. She peeked under the curtain a moment later. “I thought so,” she said with amusement as she noted sweaty brows and bulging slacks. “You had best say goodnight; Glorfindel and I have somewhere to be. Word has just come from the House of the Hammer; by morning, Erestor and Aranel shall be parents!”
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=1