Purple Plot Bunnies (AKA The First Homely House) by Zhie
Summary: Haldir deals with his past and his future with the help of his family and a plush purple rabbit.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Fourth Age Characters: Asfaloth, Beineilien, Celebdreth, Celeborn, Celebrian, Cirdan, Elladan, Elodien, Elrohir, Elrond, Erestor, Fool of a Took, Frodo Baggins, Galadriel, Gamling, Gandalf, Gil-Galad, Gimli, Glorcheniel, Glorfindel, Haldir, Ilmendin, Legolas, Lindir, Melpomaen, Mitzi, Namo, Nenniach, Nibbles, Orophin, Rumil, Samwise Gamgee, Squysh, Tallasinde, Thranduil, Valarda, Vilya
Awards: 2004 MPA Nomination
Challenge: None
Genre: Action or Adventure, Comedic, Dramatic, Historical, Lyrical or Songfic, Romantic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 50 Completed: Yes Word count: 163864 Read: 837652 Published: October 07 2007 Updated: October 07 2007

1. The First Homely House in Valinor by Zhie

2. Celebrian's Wish by Zhie

3. Morning After by Zhie

4. The Name of the Game by Zhie

5. Structural Integrity by Zhie

6. I'm Going to the West by Zhie

7. Laughing at the Sand by Zhie

8. In the Dance Hall of the Elven King by Zhie

9. Climbing the Family Tree by Zhie

10. 31 Coire by Zhie

11. Strawberry Cake by Zhie

12. The Music of Falling Leaves by Zhie

13. Death by Vanilla Pudding by Zhie

14. Official Bird of the First Homely House by Zhie

15. Spilt Milk by Zhie

16. Elven Hours in a Carriage by Zhie

17. Plague of Valinor by Zhie

18. The Return of the Prince by Zhie

19. Forgive and Forget by Zhie

20. Parental Guidance Suggested by Zhie

21. Return to the Kastle of the King by Zhie

22. Crit! by Zhie

23. Goldilocks and the One Dwarf by Zhie

24. I Love You by Zhie

25. Oops by Zhie

26. Elrond's Sweet Revenge by Zhie

27. Bilbo's Gift by Zhie

28. Snow Songs by Zhie

29. Luck of the Draw by Zhie

30. Unfinished Business by Zhie

31. To Give and To Receive by Zhie

32. Happy...? by Zhie

33. Me Gusta Southron by Zhie

34. Denial by Zhie

35. Remember Me by Zhie

36. Valle Escondido de los Delfines [Small Valley of the Dolphins] by Zhie

37. A Father's Love by Zhie

38. On the Horizon by Zhie

39. Flute & Fiddle by Zhie

40. Checkmate by Zhie

41. Basic Math by Zhie

42. Best Intentions by Zhie

43. You Don't Have to Go Home, But You Can't Stay Here by Zhie

44. Pounce! by Zhie

45. Squysh by Zhie

46. Hidden Heroes by Zhie

47. This One's For the Girls by Zhie

48. Stargazing & Ginger Snaps by Zhie

49. Hope by Zhie

50. Home by Zhie

The First Homely House in Valinor by Zhie
Haldir weaved his way through the trees to the First Homely House, a seaside residence with a sparse sprinkling of trees around it. The five closest trees had flets built in them, but they weren’t trees of Lorien, so the design was changed to fit the trees. Two were maples, two oak, and one was a birch tree. It was in this last one that Haldir made his home, among the silver-white branches and the masses of golden-green leaves. Though he could keep little in his outdoor dwelling, it was the closest he had come to finding a mallorn near the sea. He felt a pull in his heart like that which others had when on the banks of the havens, yet his call was to Middle Earth, for never had he been compelled to travel here to Valinor.

It was his brothers, and his sister before them, who had convinced him to sail. All the while he watched when the ship pulled from shore until all traces of Mithlond disappeared into the mist. The few possessions which he had brought were kept in the First Homely House, the home of his siblings, their spouses, and children. Twice additions had been built, and it would likely continue to grow with the coming years. The tree dwellings were used on occasion when one fancied a romp in a tree or to sleep under the stars. One belonged to each of the siblings; the fifth was unofficially for their parents when they visited, though it had not yet been used. More than anything, they served as the lookouts for the few ships that now found their way to the undying lands. Haldir had taken this task upon himself to fill his time now that he no longer was required to guard forests and hunt orcs.

He approached his pseudo-mallorn, reaching for the rope that swayed in the breeze near the trunk. From the roof of the house he heard the voices of his nephews, chattering away about this and that into the night. No doubt Celebdreth and the twins were stargazing this evening. His eyes wandered to look into the lower windows of the Homely House. Candlelight glimmered in them, and he could see the movement of shadows against the curtains. His heel turned him now in the direction of the main entrance. The doors were unlocked, as was usual, but also propped open, letting the autumn breeze flow through the hall and down the corridors. He found his way through the house, following the sounds of laughter into the main parlor. Lounging on the couch were Rumil and Nenniach, the latter holding a quill and a folded piece of parchment, while Orophin sat in one of the greatly oversized chairs with Valarda perched on his lap. Celebrian was in the rocker, feet drawn up, resting her chin on her knees. Her expression was one of deep concentration. Elrond sat cross-legged on the floor in front of a large sack. In his hand, he held a mostly concealed square tile. A pile of them lay discarded nearby.

Haldir now understood why he had not been summoned to this gathering. He was familiar with this game, and in some ways, it always saddened him that he could not play. He quietly found a comfortable spot on the rug and leaned back against the wall.

“All I’m getting is red,” mumbled Celebrian, looking to the crystalline time keeper on the table. It was fast running out of sand, and as the last grains slipped through, she finally decided on, “It’s…it’s an apple?”

Elrond frowned and revealed the tile. The other side showed a bright yellow canary. Celebrian rolled her eyes. “Why ever were you thinking of the color red?”

“I wasn’t,” defended Elrond. “I think you must be picking up on the thoughts of someone else, my dear.” He scanned the room, and it wasn’t long before Orophin couldn’t contain his smile any longer. Celebrian pulled off her slipper and shot it at her brother.

“That really should be counted as cheating,” Nenniach said disdainfully. On the big comfy chair, Orophin was getting repeatedly slapped in the shoulder.

“We’re losing, and you’re wasting your energy goofing around instead of trying to help us win?” Valarda finished her assault and then marched up to the table to take Elrond’s place. “Hello, Hirband Arabeleg.”

Haldir nodded, not in the mood for banter with his sister-in-law this evening. “Who’s winning?”

“No one yet.” Nenniach held up the sheet where the score was tallied. “We’re tied with Elrond and Celebrian, while Orophin and Valarda are decidedly losing.” Nenniach retrieved the time keeper and approached Haldir. “Care to keep score?”

Grateful for the invitation to participate in some way, Haldir took the timer, quill, and score sheet, setting them out before him. He looked up at Valarda expectantly. She reached into the bag and dug through the tiles until she was satisfied and nodded to Haldir. He flipped the timer over and Valarda pulled one of the white clay pieces from the sack. Focusing on the picture painted upon it, she then looked over to Orophin, who had one of his rare, serious looks. For the next minute, the pair seemed to try to connect to one another, Valarda with a look of determination; Orophin appearing more desperate as the time ran out. “A duck. A duck, a brown one.”

Valarda’s shoulders slumped. “Oro! I almost think you want to lose.”

Orophin let his chin rest on his hand, propped on his knees by his elbows and gave a shrug. “Not a duck, then, love?”

“You were close, Oro, brown ducks live in the same general area as white stags. You shouldn’t feel too bad about that.” Haldir scribbled something onto the sheet and looked up to find six pairs of eyes staring at him, from faces with open mouths. “What?” They now turned to look at Valarda, who turned the tile to face them all in bewilderment. An outline of a stag leaping across the clay could clearly be seen. “Oh. Sorry.”

“How. In. Arda.” Orophin took another look at his brother, then to his wife, then narrowed his eyes at his brother again. “Is there something I should know?”

“Orophin!” Valarda threw the tile at the wall near the chair, successfully smashing it and raining Orophin with tiny pieces of clay and particles of dust. Elrond leaned over and grabbed the remaining bag of tiles. “Not in my house,” he boomed, and silence fell upon the room.

“Celebrian picked up on your thoughts,” Elrond finally said to Orophin.

“Celebrian is my sister,” hissed Orophin.

“I wasn’t reading her thoughts, Oro.” Haldir stood, handing the timer and such to Nenniach. “It just came to me.” He turned to leave, but as he reached the door, he heard Elrond clear his throat. Haldir looked over his shoulder to see the elf holding up one of the tiles, bag clutched in his opposite hand. Haldir looked at the blank side that faced him, closed his eyes, and said, “It is a ship. With black sails.” He opened his eyes to see the tile turned. Elrond handed the bag to Celebrian. She drew out another tile. “A dragon. And it is yellow.” The bag made its way around the room, the only sound being Haldir’s announcements. “An orange sunset. Cake, with blue icing. A…purple rabbit?”

Orophin cocked his head as he looked at the picture. “I would have called it a purple bunny, but I suppose we’ll have to give you the points for it.”

“Halli.” Rumil’s voice was soft, a little in awe. “Halli, how are you doing that?”

Haldir shook his head. “I don’t know.” His throat was dry, and fear washed over him. How was he doing this? He watched as Elrond took the bag once again, placing a number of the tiles face down on the floor. Haldir stared at them, and shook his head again.

“Concentrate,” suggested Celebrian. Haldir concentrated. He saw nothing, and told them so. Slowly, Elrond flipped each tile over. He had pulled all of the blank tiles from the bag. “You are your mother’s son,” Elrond said quietly, scooping all of the tiles, minus the unbroken one, into the bag. Haldir said nothing, standing quietly in the doorway as the others in the room gathered drinks and empty plates, leaving for their rooms. Orophin left last, giving his older brother an apologetic look.

Haldir did not leave to return to his tree. He spent the next few hours in the big chair, looking down at the shattered tile, still on the floor. The fire died as the night wore on, candles burned to their ends. In the darkness, he saw a pair of figures pass under the window. He heard them climb the stairs and enter the house, only one of them continuing through to the parlor. The room became brighter, due to the glow of the elleth who had entered. Galadriel glided into the room and knelt down before her son, taking both his hands into hers. “It has been difficult for you.”

Unexpectedly, Haldir’s entire body began to tremble, and he bowed his head as tears began to fall. Galadriel stood, pulling Haldir up with her, and led him across the room.

Celeborn had been waiting in the hall for a goodly amount of time. Long enough to examine all of the paintings on the walls, tisk at the hideous plant stand near the door, and poke his toe under a desk to chase out a few dust bunnies. He finally made his way to the room his wife had disappeared into.

He had not questioned it when she woke him in these early morning hours, had not asked where they went to, nor why when they had entered. But the old elf was bored, and a little disgruntled that he had been awoken for reasons other than he had hoped. He strode into the parlor, finding a mother and son scene he had not seen since Rumil was an elfling.

Galadriel sat in the rocking chair, her feet moving in a slow rhythm to keep the momentum going. Haldir clung to her, still letting out sobs now and then, his head buried into her shoulder, legs haphazardly bent over the arm of the chair. Galadriel stroked his hair, whispering words to soothe him.

“And…and I called out to you, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t…couldn’t speak, I couldn’t breathe,” he hiccupped, stumbling through his words.

“I know. I know you did. I heard you, little one, I heard you.” Her face was not dry either, noted Celeborn, as he approached them.

“And I was afraid. I was so afraid.”

“We were all afraid, little one. We all hid our fears.”

“But…but I shouldn’t have…shouldn’t have been. I was…I was the Captain,” he sniffled, adding quietly, “I was ashamed of myself.”

Galadriel closed her eyes, and Celeborn could feel that she was upset. Upset at herself for not seeing this sooner. For not catching Haldir’s deterioration since his arrival in Valinor, since the battle at Helm’s Deep. “Even the bravest, even the wisest, even the most powerful were afraid. There is no shame in that.”

“But I am full of fear again.” Haldir raised his head to look at her through swollen eyes. “You know what happened tonight.”

Galadriel nodded.

“It has been happening more and more, ever since I reached these shores.” Haldir swallowed, his breathing slowing to its normal pace. “I want it to stop.”

Galadriel looked at him sadly, wiping his tears away. “It is not going to stop. It is a gift from the Valar.”

“It is a curse,” he corrected her. “Why now? Why does this happen now? If it is a gift, why was it not granted earlier? I might have saved Dinendal, if only I had known he had hidden and come along to Rohan, I would have known and he wouldn’t be... It wouldn’t be my fault.”

“Dinendal’s death was not your fault,” admonished Galadriel sternly. “You did so much for him, taking him into your home. Being a father to him, a father who loved him.”

“Then why was he taken from me?” sobbed Haldir. “I don’t want this ‘gift’ now. I am still healing from things past, I can not deal with this.”

“You will not have to accept your fate alone. We will all help you.”

“I do not want help,” Haldir said firmly, but it was difficult for his parents to take him seriously while he still sat on his mother’s lap, clinging to her.

“You never have.” Celeborn ran his hand over his son’s cheek, then kissed him on the brow. “You get that from me.”

- - - -

Haldir weaved his way through the trees to the First Homely House, a rope under his arm and a sack over his shoulder. He stopped at the edge of the house, and whistled sharply. Three heads appeared over the side from the roof.

“Uncle Haldir!”

“Great to see you!”

“What’s with the rope?”

“It’s the stairs to your new hideout.” He threw the coil into the air to his nephews, and all three reached out to grasp it and pull it up.

“Where are you going?”

“You aren’t leaving us, are you?”

“It would be such a bore without you.”

“I’ll be in here if you’re looking for me.” Haldir nodded in the direction of the front doors.

“Does this have to do with Grandmother?”

“Did Ada finally convince you to live in the house?”

“Nana said you’re seeing things, but without a mirror.”

“A little bit yes, and a little bit no. Now get off of the roof, I promised the Lord of the House that no further shingles would be damaged if I was able to impart my tree to you.” Haldir watched the trio scamper down the side of the house and run to the tree after a round of ‘thank yous’.

Haldir stepped inside the house, closing the door behind him. There was something warm and cozy about the house now that he entered, something he hadn’t felt other times. Something that told him he was finally home.

He made his ascent up the stairs, pausing on the third floor landing. The hallway went straight to Elrond and Celebrian’s rooms, and also left, to what would be Haldir’s domain. The elf slowly walked past framed maps on the walls next to drawings Elladan, Elrohir, and Arwen had drawn as elflings. He opened the door to his room, and peered cautiously in.

Celebrian had been ecstatic when Haldir asked if he could live in the house – a decision prompted by Galadriel and Celeborn, who had otherwise threatened to kidnap him in the night and force him to live under their roof. It was too true that he had hidden himself away, practically turning into a hermit. The loss of his troops at Helm’s Deep had affected him greater than any could have thought. It was the final blow to centuries of loss, between wardens of the march, and so many he met in his travels – elf, man, hobbit, and even dwarf. The final straw had been Dinendal, a young elf who had been thrown from his home and adopted by Haldir. His death had been the most difficult for Haldir, though he masked his grief from both family and friends. For the past few night he had allowed himself to mourn the loss, and though it did not end his grief, it provided for a new beginning. Haldir found his sister now, shifting things around in the room - adjusting the spread on the bed, the books on the desk.

“You didn’t have to fuss so much over me,” he mumbled, setting his sack of belongings from his tree down on the desk gingerly.

Celebrian pulled Haldir into an embrace and then led him around the bedroom, the bathroom, the lounge, office, and porch. “Elrond is planning another series of rooms to be built in the future, so if these aren’t to your liking-“

“Clebri, they are perfect.” The walls had been repainted with a golden hue, and large silver-grey rugs covered the floors where polished white wood did not peek out. What few things he had been storing in the attic were now placed about the room. Celebrian hugged him once again, then bid him to explore his rooms further, as well as the rest of the house, before she left.

Haldir sat down on the edge of the bed carefully – it had been some time since he’d slept in one and not on the hard pads found on the flets. It was soft and wonderful he decided as he sunk his hands into the downy blue spread that covered it. He turned down the covers, concluding his first goal in the First Homely House would be to take a nap. He found a lumpy package tucked under the pillows, and pulled it out to examine it.

It was squishy, not well wrapped, and oddly shaped. Cautiously, he removed the paper and ribbon that tied it together, revealing a plush purple rabbit.

Bunny.

Same difference.

- - - -

Elrohir made his way up the steps, Elladan on his heels. They had offered to retrieve Uncle Haldir for supper, but waited until Celebdreth was busy with his own errand before doing so.

“Do you think he found it?”

“I couldn’t have made it any more obvious without Nana seeing it.”

Elrohir opened the door slightly, and the twins shifted their gaze around the room until they saw what they were looking for. Haldir, sleeping peacefully, one arm holding the purple rabbit protectively.

“He likes it.”

“It turned out nice.”

“What can I say, we should have been tailors.” Elladan crept back down the hall as Elrohir shut the door.
Celebrian's Wish by Zhie
It was a night like nearly any other. The entire family had gathered outside for supper, the twins and Celebdreth excusing themselves at the first chance to cavort in one of the greater cities. After dinner, everyone else had retired to the parlor. Rumil entertained for some time, singing songs of battle and histories and love. After none too long, and after a particularly erotic selection, he and Nenniach had made a hasty exit.

Orophin did his best to entertain next. His lyrical contributions prompted Haldir to pull out his flute and Celebrian to retrieve her harp, their attempts to try to cover his caterwauls doing nothing to daunt him. Halfway through a Vanya folksong, Valarda had practically wretched Orophin from his seat, and the two apologized for their retreat, Orophin mumbling something incoherent, but obviously dirty as he was kicked on their way out.

Now as Celebrian and Haldir finished the piece without the off-key vocalizations, Elrond offered to read from a book of poems. The book was passed throughout the room, the occupants selecting their favorites. It was just as Celeborn was reciting a few verses that Celebrian slid a sideways look at Elrond. The half-elf pretended not to notice it in an attempt to be respectful to his in-laws still present. Celebrian left her usual spot in the rocker as Celeborn read, sitting down next to her husband on the couch.

Haldir tossed a glance up to his mother, flute long since put away. He was sitting on the floor, holding apart a skein of yarn, while she wrapped it into a tight ball. She, too, pretended not to take note of her daughter’s behavior, but her smile said otherwise. Haldir looked back to the couple on the couch. Celebrian had faked a yawn, drawing her arms high over her head, before letting the left one settle behind Elrond’s back. He didn’t so much as blink.

Celeborn ended his reading, then offered the book to his wife, who shook her head. He held it out to Haldir, who raised his occupied hands in response. Looking across the room, Celeborn met Elrond’s gaze, and cast the book to the half-elf. Celebrian leaned forward suddenly and caught it easily in midair.

Celebrian flipped through the pages, finally finding the selection she wanted. This was all a great accomplishment, considering her left arm had never left its place behind Elrond’s back. Aloud, she read:


Little elfling, ‘tis time for bed.
The stars, they twinkle overhead.
Little elfling, in his tree,
The leaves, they whisper ‘Reverie’.

Little elfling, shall I tuck you in?
The rocks, they keep you safe within.
Little elfling, in his cave,
The winds, they whisper to be brave.

Little elfling, this kiss doth cast a spell.
The valleys, they keep you hidden well.
Little elfling, in his home,
Rest now until the morning come.


Celebrian sighed sadly, turning her gaze to a slightly worried Elrond. “Is something the matter, my dear?” he asked.

Celebrian nodded. “We don’t have any little elflings to tuck into bed anymore.”

“Perhaps you might convince Elladan and Elrohir to let you tuck them in tonight?” suggested Elrond.

“They aren’t elflings anymore, my darling.” Celebrian let the book close and fall to the couch, using her now free hand to turn Elrond to face her. “Arwen is not coming. I have accepted that. I have not yet accepted that I will be without a daughter in Valinor.”

Elrond made an attempt to speak, but a barely audible sound somewhere between a squeak and a squawk came out. Elrond looked to the floor at his brother-in-law. The broad-shouldered elf was discretely ignoring everyone in the room, staring at the floor. Less so, Haldir was mouthing some sort of prayer to the Valar for letting him lead a life alone. It figured that he wouldn’t get any help from him.

Celeborn had the same idea, and was up from his seat, exploring the shelves of books. His back was turned strategically toward the group and was shaking a bit. In laughter, most likely, thought the half-elf. Elrond looked in desperation at his last resort. Galadriel was still rolling her yarn, and without leaving her task or looking up, directed her comment to Celeborn, who turned around as she spoke. “I would so love to have an elfling in the house.” She paused, now dramatically letting her eyes meet Celeborn’s. “Perhaps two. I only carried one of our children.”

Celeborn’s face fell, and his mirthful look was immediately replaced with wariness. “Five children? Isn’t that a bit much, love?”

“On the contrary, five is an excellent number,” Galadriel smiled dreamily. “I was the youngest of five. Besides, I must say, I miss the times we spent trying to have dear Haldir. Locking ourselves away in our tree, romping in the garden. Long, overindulgent trips to the warm springs…”

Celebrian suddenly removed her hand from Elrond’s shoulder. It flew to cover her mouth. “I swam in those springs as a child,” she whispered to herself, then glanced at Haldir. “Before you came along. Right before you came along.”

“Do not fret, dear. We were always careful to clean things up before we moved to the next place,” Galadriel assured her.

“The next place?”

“Oh, of course.” Galadriel’s face took on that dreamy look again. “Your father is quite the hearty stallion. It was not unlike him to make love to me three, sometimes four times a day during that time. And at night…” her voice trailed off.

Celebrian was quite pale as she jumped off from the couch. “Ai, oh, ew, Nana….yrrlll.” Celebrian shivered. “I…I need a drink.” Celebrian marched herself from the room, shuddering as she left.

Celeborn, still frozen in place by the bookcase, now let out a long, labored breath. “I think I shall see if our daughter…if she needs…I’m leaving,” He finally settled on, following in the direction Celebrian had gone.

Elrond closed his eyes, letting out a sigh of relief. “Thank you.”

Galadriel nodded, her attention back to her yarn again. “You will have to discuss the matter with her in the future, but I think you are safe for this evening.”

“And…and Lord Celeborn?” Elrond had seen little that could frighten the older elf, and watched as Galadriel shrugged off the question.

“Lord Celeborn is my responsibility. I shall set records straight with him when and if I see fit to. Besides,” Galadriel turned to Haldir, still on the floor, “you would not mind another sister or brother, would you?”

“Of course not,” Haldir said matter-of-factly, “but only if I get to name them.”

“You’ve done well with names in the past, I see no reason in breaking with tradition.” Galadriel sat back, truly thoughtful now. “Celebrian has given me much to think about this night.”

Elrond used the pause that followed to excuse himself from the room. As the last of the yarn unwound from Haldir’s hands, he stood, then looked at his mother, a somewhat questioning look on his face, as if he wanted to ask something, but feared the answer. When she finally acknowledged him, he simply said, “Hearty Stallion? Was that truly necessary?”

Galadriel smiled, and it turned to a grin. “You should hear the pet names your father has for me.”

“I shall thank you not to tell them to me. I expect enough nightmares tonight from what I have heard.” Haldir stretched his arms above his head, making a noise something between a purr and a growl as the ever-present pain in his back alleviated itself somewhat. “I think I shall turn in.”

“Shall I tuck you in? Help chase your nightmares away?”

Haldir smiled and nodded. He offered his arm to his mother, walking with her through the long hallway to the stairs. In the kitchen, they spied the warm glow of candles. Father and daughter were drinking, something stronger than wine from the smell, and comparing the advantages and disadvantages of marriage to a powerful elf. Galadriel pretended not to notice. Continuing to the second floor, all was quiet – his brothers and their spouses likely asleep by now. On the third floor, the door to Elrond’s room was ajar – a subtle invitation to Celebrian.

They made it halfway to the suite of rooms Haldir occupied, stopping when they came to a series of framed pictures of birds drawn with oversized feet and heads. The signature in the corner was unmistakable. Haldir studied the creatures sadly, turning to look at his mother when he found her looking at him. He shifted uncomfortably – it was still difficult for him, being a grown elf, and yet shorter not only than his younger siblings, but than his parents as well. “You miss her.”

“As we all do,” he replied.

“You miss her more.” It was an observation more than an accusation, but Haldir did not see it this way.

“I never had, nor would I have, done anything improper.”

Galadriel simply nodded. “I know this. But you did love her.” Haldir looked to the floor in disgrace. “Do not be ashamed. No one thinks less of you for it. My own uncle lusted for me, but was not so much as civilized as are you.”

“I did not lust for my niece,” said Haldir bitterly. “I admit that I wrongly loved her, aye, but never lust.”

“Love, my dear, is never wrong.” Galadriel hugged her son closer. “I never worried about you, dear one. I knew you well, understood your morals. It was your brother whom I feared for.”

“Orophin?” guessed Haldir.

Galadriel nodded once again. “His thoughts drifted to his sister more than I would have liked. But that is over now. Now, I worry about you.” She smoothed his hair back behind his ears, kissing him on the forehead. “Do not grieve, Haldir. Do not fade for her.”

Haldir smiled weakly. “Do not worry yourself. I will not fade. I know she has been happy and will be happy,” he said, hating to lie, and hating even more at how easily it came. He returned the kiss to his mother’s cheek. “I am tired. I wish to retire.”

Slowly, they found their way into Haldir’s room. The elf kicked off his boots, removed his tunic, and crawled into bed. Galadriel hoped he would stop wearing his Galadhrim uniform all of the time as if orcs would suddenly come crawling to the shores of Valinor or from the trees of the mainland. She bent down, drawing the covers up, careful not to disturb the plush rabbit occupying the other side of the bed. “Rest well,” she told him, kissing him again.

Haldir reached his arms up, embracing her tightly. “Please, do not worry yourself over me.”

Galadriel nodded as Haldir’s arms slipped back down to the bed. She turned to go, and at the door, turned back upon hearing a soft coughing. “One thing more?” asked Haldir. “Please, never use the words ‘hearty’ and ‘stallion’ together in the same sentence while I am within range of hearing.” Galadriel smiled, closing the door behind her.
Morning After by Zhie
“Are those the plans for the house?” Celebrian asked, peering over her husband’s shoulder.

Elrond nodded. “The annex will be through the minor hall on the first and second floor. I have yet to contemplate the third floor, or whether it would be necessary to build that far. Instead of building against the side of the house as it stands now, a walkway will run for twelve feet, opening to a patio and gardens on either side.”

Celebrian nodded, tracing where Elrond had pointed to. “I think you’ve missed something.”

Both Elrond and Rumil began to search the plans. “I do not see anything amiss,” said Rumil.

“I definitely think you’ve missed something,” Celebrian told them in earnest.

When a second search came up fruitless, Haldir cleared his throat. He had been sitting on the window seat of the kitchen where the plans were spread – the room had the largest available table, and the best lighting. “She’s talking about the nursery,” he told them before he sipped his tea.

“We didn’t plan to have a nursery in the expansion,” Elrond said, a little too suddenly he realized. Celebrian looked away, very hurt. “Perhaps we can find some extra space somewhere to fit one.”

“It should be on the same floor as our rooms,” Celebrian said, matter-of-factly.

“Well, yes, of course it should.” Elrond studied the plans, shaking his head. “But as it stands, there is no good place to add on to on the third floor with the way the rooms the boys are in are situated.” Elrond had come to grouping his nephew with the twins, collectively referring to Celebdreth, Elrohir, and Elladan as simply ‘the boys’.

“What if they were to move into the annex when it is completed? Then we could use the space across the hall for the nursery.”

“There isn’t any room in the annex for all three of them,” Rumil informed him. “Between the space Orophin and Valarda will be in and the rooms I have planned for Nenniach and I, they would need to split up.”

“What of the rooms they are vacating? What purpose will those serve?” Celebrian raised her brows, waiting for the answer.

Elrond’s answer was somewhat forced. “When my advisors make it over the sea, I want for them to have a place to come to.”

Celebrian frowned a bit. “You can not know they will come. So many have decided to remain. Few boats will sail yet to Valinor.”

“They will come.” Haldir found himself taking less answers from logic and more from instinct and feeling in the past few years since he had moved into the First Homely House. “My suspicion is that Erestor has yet to pack up the entirety of the Library of Imladris, and that Glorfindel has yet to build a boat big enough to haul it all here. Though I admit that theory is based upon what the twins tell me, still, they will come.”

“So we will need to fit them into the house.” Celebrian scanned the large sheets that showed the addition to the house. “We could always tell Nana and Ada they will have to wait until the next set of rooms are added until they have a room to stay here.”

“Certainly not,” Elrond replied curtly. The last time Galadriel and Celeborn had stayed the night, Celebrian offered their room to her parents. She then evicted Haldir (and his rabbit) to the couch in the parlor. However, Elrond found he couldn’t sleep knowing his inlaws were in his bed. So downstairs he had gone, only to find that Haldir’s back bothered him if he tried to lay on the couch, so the pair stayed up through the night drinking and swapping war stories. The next morning found them drunker than dwarves at a wedding, singing a rousing and modified version of “Tra-La-La-Lally”, while trying to make lembas. Soon after, the edict to include a room for Galadriel and Celeborn in the plans was passed unanimously.

“Then where are we going to put the nursery?” demanded Celebrian.

“Celebrian. Darling.” Elrond settled his elbows on the table and let his head sink into his hands. “I know the years here have been long for you. I know you wish for a child. I do not think I am ready for that yet.”

“You could move the boys into Orophin’s rooms, split their room into two for Erestor and Glorfindel when they arrive, give Nana and Ada Rumil’s suite, and annex my office to use as the nursery.” Haldir turned from his watch at the window. “Or, you could convince Orophin to stay where he is, place the nursery on the ground level, and put Nana and Ada into the new rooms…”

“Haldir, we would not take your office from you,” Celebrian told him.

“Why not? I don’t really use it.” He sipped his tea again. “Though, the nursery really should be on the first floor…”

Elrond looked up at the elf in the window. “If you have some inside information that compels you to want a nursery, O Oracle of the First Homely House, please share it with us.”

Haldir blinked at them innocently. “It is just the most practical place to put it.” His gaze turned back to what was going on outside as he mused to himself, “And truly, we shall be needing one…”

Elrond let his hands fly down, slapping the top of the table. “Why shall we be needing one?”

Feigning surprise, Haldir looked back at the occupants of the kitchen. “I’m sorry. Has she not told you?” Slowly, he drank the rest of his tea, letting his gaze wander to Celebrian. Her look went from one of perplexion to soft and somewhat demure.

“I have not told him,” she said. “I had hoped my hints were enough.”

Elrond, slightly shocked, looked first to Celebrian. “But we…but only just last night…” He drew her down to sit on his lap. “It is so sudden – not that I am not thrilled, but…” Looking up into her eyes, he asked, “Are we ready for this?”

Celebrian nodded. “Yes. I think we are. I think we need this, to help us heal.” It took a few minute for the Lord of the House to contemplate, but finally, he smiled, and nodded as well.

“Then we shall have to find a spot for the nursery.” Elrond and Rumil set about scanning the plans again. “If you truly could part with your office, Haldir, it would work well.”

“Consider it yours. Or little whomever they may be’s. You should still keep the idea of putting it on the first floor in mind.” Haldir’s attention was caught by something in the window and he grinned. “Excuse me. I shall return.”

Darting out of the room, Haldir began to cross the lawn to the trees. A sharp whistle behind him alerted him that someone had followed him from the house. He doubled back, finding Celebrian at the steps. “Why did you do that? Now he thinks we are having another elfling! What am I to do?”

Haldir led her away from the house to the beach, where the waves covered their voices. “Last night, I awoke to some most interesting noises.” Celebrian blushed as Haldir continued. “Although he was quite willing to engage in such activity, right after he seemingly upset you, I think he would have become more guarded the more he thought things through. He’s not an idiot, he knows where elflings come from.” He received a punch in the shoulder for this, but continued. “Now that he thinks you indeed are carrying a child, he isn’t going to stop and think. You may not be housing my future niece or nephew at the moment, but very soon, you will be.” He was punched again, harder this time.

“Alright, Haldir, but if this arrow backfires…”

“It will not.”

“Thank you. I do not know if I would have convinced him otherwise.”

“You are welcome. It is a trick I picked up from Erestor.” Haldir received a puzzled look from Celebrian, and he explained as they continued their stroll. “He once wanted a new stable built because the old one had a stench that could not be gotten rid of. Not horses, but as if something had died and affixed itself to the walls – this was when we were children,” he added, seeing that Celebrian was trying to place the event. “When Elrond told him it was impossible, Erestor went out to the forest with a piece of wood from the stable, collected termites, and brought it to the council meeting. He merely tossed the half-eaten plank on Elrond’s desk, and a month later, Imladris had a new barn.” Haldir stopped, looked at the house, and looked back to his sister. “What he does not know will not hurt him.”

Celebrian nodded slyly. “And the nursery?”

“I think he is going to build one for you. You just have to fill your end of the bargain.”

Another punch in the arm. “No, you smug dog, why should it be on the first floor?”

Haldir opened his mouth, then shut it, catching a glimpse of someone near the trees. “Another time. You should really be helping them plan the room, else, they might…paint it orange or something.” Haldir walked Celebrian briskly up to the house. “And the first floor. Try to get it on the first floor.”

“Why the first floor?” pleaded Celebrian one last time.

“Because I really like my office.” Haldir shooed her inside, before turning and jogging to the trees, a huge grin forming on his face.

Galadriel pretended to be interested in the bark of the birch as Haldir approached. She smiled, said nothing, and shyly came to him. “I have thought of a name,” he told her, then, placing one hand upon her abdomen, he used the other to cup around his mouth as he whispered it softly into her ear.

“Thank you. It is beautiful.”

“Do you like it then?” Haldir asked eagerly.

Galadriel nodded. “I think she will like it, too,” she said, placing her hand over his.
The Name of the Game by Zhie
The first homely house seemed packed beyond capacity during the past few days. It wasn’t that there were more elves living in it than usual, save for the fact that Galadriel and Celeborn were this week among those inhabiting the house. It wasn’t that there was a lack of rooms, for even with the ex-Lord and Lady of the Golden Wood being in the three-story home, only Haldir was displaced, and he had taken up temporary residence in the ‘bachelor pad’, the suite of rooms that the twins and Celebdreth shared. It wasn’t that the house had shrunk, or that the rooms were cluttered, or anything at all unnatural.

It was that it was raining.

For many days, in fact, water had fallen lightly atop the roof and slid down the windows. It was, of course, necessary, and so no one complained. Rain was rarely ever harsh here in Valinor, and one need not fear that it would give way to a terrible storm or cause flooding to occur. But the rain, once it began, did not stop for quite a spell, and so the family had been confined inside the house.

“Your move, Oro.” The three brothers sat in the main parlor, a Valasaila board on the table between Rumil and Orophin. Haldir was lounging in a chair off to the side, lying across it sideways so that his shoulders were against one of the arms and his legs draped over the other. A stuffed purple rabbit kept watch of the game from the top of the chair back.

Orophin scanned the board, eyeing up various sections. He had never much enjoyed this Noldorian strategy game, but there was little else he hadn’t already done since the rains began. Orophin glanced up at Rumil’s raised brows and look of fake indifference, knowing he had lost already. “A little help, Haldir. The vast empire of Oro-Land is soon to be laid waste to by the forces of the Rumil-Empire.”

Haldir did not move, did not look up, nor did he even open his eyes. For the better part of three hours, they had played, and Haldir was content to keep track of the game in his mind while he listened to the melody of the rain. “Sacrifice your capitol. Move back your troops to the borders, and then…” He contemplated a few things, hands folded across his chest, arms drooped lazily at his sides. A slow smile emerged on his face as he changed his strategy. “Disregard my former advice. Evacuate your cities, cut your troops across the whole of Rumil’s forces.”

“Haldir, that’s suicide!” Orophin scanned the board, counting his troops versus Rumil’s. “He has me outnumbered three to one.”

“I once fought in a battle where we were outnumbered one hundred to one. Cut his lines, Orophin,” advised Haldir again.

Orophin scowled, and looked at Rumil, briefly catching a worried look in the youngest brother’s eyes. “Well, then, it seems I am still taking orders from my captain.” Orophin dutifully repositioned his game pieces to split Rumil’s forces.

Ten minutes later, the game was over.

“Thank you, Hallidear,” Rumil said as he scooped the remaining pieces off of the board and into the wooden tray they were held in.

Orophin’s jaw dropped, and he turned in disbelief at his older brother. “You tricked me, you overgrown dwarf!”

Haldir shrugged, showing little emotion. “The rabbit made me do it.”

Seconds later, Haldir was fending off the large blue throw pillow Orophin had decided to throttle him with, arms protecting his face as he chuckled, listening to Orophin’s long list of outlandish insults. Orophin had made to reach for the rabbit after citing that the rabbit was evil, and Haldir had nearly fallen off of the chair as he struggled to grab the toy before Orophin did. “Hey! Be nice to Nibbles!” he laughed, tucking the rabbit under one arm protectively.

“Nibbles? You named it?” Orophin paused for a moment, pillow still raised above Haldir. “You named the stuffed rabbit. Unbelievable.”

“What’s wrong with Nibbles? It is a good name,” defended Haldir.

“It is a good name,” agreed Rumil, who was finishing up putting the game away.

Haldir nodded. “I’ve had so much practice since the first time I named someone.”

The pillow came down again, and this time Haldir was caught off guard. Curling his legs and arms over the rest of his body, he continued to laugh at Orophin’s verbal abuse until the beating abruptly stopped.

“Well, if you like laughing so much…” Orophin tossed the pillow aside with a wicked grin.

“Oro…” warned Haldir, rabbit still under one arm. He tried in the next second to escape, but his position on the chair had been precarious at best. He now found himself trapped, Orophin sitting on one of the arms, keeping Haldir’s legs pinned down, while he tickled his older brother mercilessly. “Saes, Oro, Saes! Daro! Daro! Daro! Rumil!” Haldir’s call was frantic, masked by his continuous laughter, and he turned his head enough to see that he had been deserted.

“It would seem Rumil is the best strategist of us all,” Orophin said, “for he has well grasped the idea of retreat.” He looked down at Haldir. “Do you yield?”

“Yield! Yield what?” Haldir was making an attempt to squirm over the side of the chair, but to no avail.

“Yield the rabbit! That evil bunny has cost me three games of Valasaila this week!” Orophin swiped at the rabbit, but Haldir clutched it even closer.

“You leave Nibbles out of this!” warned Haldir, sobering up a bit.

Orophin, a bit taken aback at Haldir’s sudden change in attitude, moved back onto the floor. “Huh. You are way too attached to that thing.”

“It isn’t a thing. It’s a rabbit.”

“Yes. Ai, we really have to find you an elleth, brother.” Orophin shook his head, then listened as he heard footsteps coming from down the hall. “Ah, our sister approaches.” A few moments later, Celebrian peered into the room, then glided in, frowning when she saw the misshapen pillow on the floor.

“Good day, Celebrian, and how fairs the weather in your part of the house this afternoon?” asked Orophin, tossing the pillow to join it’s less abused comrades on the couch.

“The weather is miserable in more ways than one. I need to speak with Haldir,” she answered bluntly. Orophin cocked his head to the side, gave a nod, tried once more unsuccessfully to snatch the rabbit, and was gone from the room.

“Clebri?” Haldir repositioned himself on the chair, trying to smooth down his frazzled hair.

“It’s been over a month, Halli.”

Furrowing his brow, Haldir tried to think of what had gone on a month prior. Searching through past events, he remembered the conversation in the kitchen. “Oh. Then you’re not-“

“Hush!” Celebrian leaned forward on the rocker she had sat upon. “I don’t want to take the chance Elrond will hear!” she hissed. Haldir nodded, and Celebrian leaned back in the chair once more.

“Well, this could be a problem, then.” Haldir thought a bit. “The two of you…I mean, you have been…well, I do live in the next room.,” he finally settled on, and now dodged the blue pillow as it was thrown at him.

“Of course. It’s not for want of trying, believe me.” Celebrian crossed her arms, fuming a bit. “We’re like…like…well, excuse me for saying, but we’re like rabbits up there, and still nothing.”

Haldir nodded once more, placing Nibbles back behind him on the chair back. “Maybe you just have to relax. Maybe you’re trying too hard.”

“How can I relax, Halli? I lied to him to get him to build a nursery that will have no use here in the house.” Celebrian narrowed her eyes at Haldir’s mirthful expression. “And what, dear brother, is so funny about that.”

“Well, I do not want to be the one to ruin a surprise,” he began mischievously, “but whether you have a child or no, the room will still be well used.”

Celebrian sat quiet for a moment. “Who is it?” she finally demanded.

Haldir shook his head, grinning.

“Tell me, or you’ll get tickled again,” warned Celebrian.

“Oh no, I will not be the one to announce this news.”

Celebrian drummed her fingers on the side of the rocker. “I’ll just have to ask around then.”

Haldir narrowed his eyes, still grinning. “Maybe they don’t want everyone to know.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t have opened your big, fat mouth.”

Brother and sister glared at each other, mindful of the other’s movements. Celebrian glanced at the doorway, unguarded, and took off for the second floor. Haldir was on her heals, grabbing at her dress in an attempt to slow her down. Up the stairs, around the hall to the second flight, and up again they went, the pounding of their feet accentuated by the pounding of the rain. On the third floor, Celebrian dashed for the door to the bachelor pad, triumphantly throwing the unlocked door open.

Four sets of eyes looked up from the card game they were playing. Only Elrohir had the decency to hide his cards in his lap. Celebrian gawked at the pictures that were visible on the cards that were turned up on the table.

“Good day, my daughter.” Celeborn was sitting comfortably in one of the chairs around the small oak table, glass of wine in front of him. “Did you come to play cards?” When he received no answer, he added, “If you wish, you can join us. We have room for another player.” Both of the twins were blushing now, and Elladan was making an effort to strategically move the cards that were face up out of Celebrian’s view.

Unable to avert her eyes from the table, Celebrian stepped forward, looking over the shoulders of her sons, who both glanced nervously at one another. To her horror, she heard herself ask, “What are you playing?”

“It’s a variation on a card game played by men. Usually, they bet while they play, but I wouldn’t think of taking anything from my grandsons, so it is more of a practice game. Besides, the cards themselves are reward enough,” Celeborn decided, maneuvering the cards in his hand. Completely unashamed, he tossed two of the cards from his hand and motioned for Celebdreth to deal out the appropriate number of cards.

“I will save the discussion of what something of this nature is doing in my house for later,” Celebrian said, though still unable to look at the faces of the elves around the table, looked up to the ceiling and asked, “does anyone know who in this house is with child?”

Elladan and Elrohir exchanged looks as if this was a trick question. “Uh, Nana? Aren’t you the one with child?” Elrohir carefully stacked the cards, face down.

“I. Yes. Yes, I am. I meant, does anyone know who else in this house is with child?” It was Celebrian’s turn to blush, and Haldir hid his snicker from where he was leaning against the frame of the door.

“Two elflings? In the same house?” Celeborn waggled his brow, tossing the rest of his cards onto the table. “It would seem I am to become a grandfather once again, and now, twice.” Pushing back in his chair, he rubbed his chin. “I’m going to guess…Valarda. I know she and Orophin have sworn off elflings, but I expected one day they would change their minds.”

“You’re guessing? You mean you don’t know?” Celebrian’s shoulders slumped, and Celeborn frowned.

“You mean you don’t know?” Celeborn looked at each of the other elves, each of them shrugging or shaking their heads. When his eyes settled finally on Haldir, the elf merely smiled.

“Ah, so the good Captain is not telling.” Standing up now, Celeborn held out an arm for Celebrian. “Well, then let us find out for ourselves.” Leading the procession, the elves left the suite and walked right across the hall to the rooms that Elrond and Celebrian shared. Celeborn knocked on the door abruptly. “Elrond?”

It was a few moments before the door opened. The Lord of the First Homely House had been partaking in a hobby he rarely felt he had time for, even now – pottery. Old linens were thrown across the floor under the wheel that stood past the elf in the door. His arms were covered to his elbows in slick, grey matter, though he was wiping them now, as well as the doorknob, with a ripped cloth. “Something the matter?”

“A question, and a moment of your time for you to answer it.” Elrond nodded at Celeborn’s request as he cleaned his hands, and the old elf continued. “Are you aware of the fact that you have more than one elleth under this roof expecting a child?” Elrond blinked, looking for a moment at Celebrian, then back to Elrond. “I shall take that as a nay.”

Elrond removed the apron he had been wearing, tossing it and the clay-caked cloth near the potter’s wheel, then went made his way past the other elves. “Who is it?” he asked, briskly making his way down the flight of stairs.

“Grandpapa guesses it is Orophin and Valarda,” answered Elladan, bringing up the rear of the group, just in front of Haldir, the only elf lazily taking his time on the steps.

Elrond approached the door nearest the landing and rapped upon it. Inside, there was a bit of a scuffle, and Orophin slowly peeked around the door. “Yes?”

“Is there anything you want to mention to me?” Elrond asked.

Orophin looked past the half-elf, noting the crowd behind him. “Not that I can think of.”

“Is there anything Valarda wants to mention to me?” Elrond asked.

A second later, the door was wretched open, and Valarda wiped her initial shock at the large group assembled from her face. Behind her, on the floor, a large sheet with large colored circles lay momentarily forgotten. “No. Is there something you want to mention to me?”

“You’re not pregnant, are you?” blurted out Celebdreth, unable to deal with the suspense.

“By the Valar, no, I should hope not!” Valarda crossed her arms in front of her. “Who is spreading such filthy rumors?”

A few thumbs were tossed in Celeborn’s direction, and the old elf shrugged. “It was only a guess.”

“Not a very good guess, I might add,” huffed Valarda.

“Well, there is someone who is going to have an elfling. Besides me!” Celebrian said, quite crossly when Valarda overemphasized pointing at her.

“Says who?” demanded Orophin. Everyone’s head turned in the direction of Haldir, who was leaned up against the wall, next to the door leading to the rooms inhabited by Rumil and Nenniach.

“He told you, and he didn’t tell me! Traitor! Both of you!” Orophin stormed from his room, and not bothering to knock, opened the door across the hall. “Rumil! You have a whole lot of explaining to do!”

Rumil looked up from the game, shocked at the sudden outburst from Orophin, but then again, not so shocked. Nenniach did not look phased in the least as she moved her knight across the board, capturing the rook. “Can I help you?” he asked, not a trace of emotion as he pushed a pawn forward in to the fray.

“When were you going to tell me you were expecting another child?” Orophin questioned, moving into the room. Rumil frowned, thought about this for a moment, then looked at Nenniach quizzically.

“Don’t be silly, I’d have told you if we were expecting another one.” Nenniach retrieved the knight, setting it back down on her side of the board. “Clearly, Orophin is in error.”

“Well, someone is in error,” Celeborn laughed. “Unless this is some sort of game Haldir is playing, there is someone in this house, other than Celebrian,” he added, patting his daughter’s hand, “that is going to have a baby. Now, ruling out the entire male population, for without a doubt we can, that leaves very few possibilities.” He looked at Nenniach, who simply shook her head, then to Valarda, who adamantly shook hers. He gave a cold stare and a harsh frown at Haldir. “Enough of this, Haldir. Who is it? If this is some new foresight you have, truly, you should inform us all.”

Haldir wiped the grin from his face, and stood silently. Finally, sighing, he said, “I promised her I would not tell.”

Celeborn looked ‘round the room again, then turned to leave. He was going to have to consult his wife about this. With Celebrian still at his side, and the rest now following behind, he took to the stairs, leading them down to the first floor. After looking through the kitchen, dining room, parlor, and all other ways, Celeborn entered into the hall once again, mystified as to where his wife had gone.

Outside, he heard the song of birds, and he lifted his head to look out the front doors, where sunlight streamed in. The rain had stopped, leaving the grounds damp and the plants shimmering. Through the window, he could make out an elf with long golden hair walking across the beach. “Galadriel.” He smiled and swept past the others to the doors, then paused, as if a sudden realization had come to him. Over his shoulder he looked, eyes meeting Haldir’s “Galadriel,” he said again, softer now, then opened both of the doors to the outside, and made his way down the steps, leading the others behind him.

The sand was wet, not only from the crashing waves. An elleth, clad in flowing silver-white, walked barefoot along the shore, hair flowing behind her. She looked up, noticing those gathered on the porch, smiled at them, and then looked down, but not at the ground.

Celeborn began to approach slowly, but ended up running across the grass to the beach where his wife of so many long and wonderful years stood, hand outstretched to him. He took hold of her hand, then pulled her close, sealing his lips against hers as tears began to flow between them. As they broke for air, Galadriel brushed away the drops that glistened at the corners of Celeborn’s eyes. A moment more, and she returned the greeting, each of them embracing the other. A collective sigh sounded from the porch.

“I have to say I was wondering about Nana. It had seemed as if she’d put on a bit of weight,” whispered Orophin to Valarda. Rumil kicked him in the shin in warning.

Valarda nodded, whispering back, “It did seem as if she was a little more glowy than usual.”
Structural Integrity by Zhie
With two new arrivals expected in the First Homely House, Elrond and Rumil had come to a decision about the plans for the new addition: they just weren’t going to work. Instead, Orophin had suggested another idea – the simple duplication of the house, attached via a walkway on the second floors, thereby doubling the size of the entire house. Rumil merely redrew the plans, in reverse, and once the area was staked off that would join the two buildings, the construction began. It wasn’t as difficult to rebuild the house as building it the first time had been, now that more than two elves were working on it. It seemed an even more enjoyable task for Elrond and Celebrian. Even though they had more or less spent what could be equated to a second honeymoon building the First Homely House, the additional family members made the construction even more special.

It was an odd experience for the Lorien brothers, who could have built a habitable flet in the matter of a few hours, and one with all the amenities of tree life in less than a week. The small tasks involved in building the large structure either amazed them, or frustrated them.

“If the clay has to dry anyway,” moaned Orophin in exasperation, “why don’t we just make a big frame the size of the building and let it dry in shape? Wouldn’t that take less time than making small ones and putting them all together later?”

Elrond proceeded to explain structural integrity.

“Instead of figuring out where the windows and doors are going to be now,” suggested Haldir, “can we not just cut the holes in the wood and brick later when we decide where they are needed?”

Elrond proceeded to emphasize structural integrity.

“Instead of building a whole new house,” Celebdreth said, “we should just build three more floors onto the old one.”

Elrond proceeded to take a nap.

The majority of the work on the new house only took place while Elrond was available to oversee the project. In the meantime, smaller tasks, such as painting walls and setting the patio could be done now that the majority of the work had been completed. Many of the elves had grouped themselves into twos and threes and set off doing what they most enjoyed of the necessary jobs. When not working with Elrond, Celebrian would find herself helping Haldir, after finding he usually opted to do things on his own.

Today found them painting a large room on the north part of the new building’s second story pale green, from floor to ceiling, with the ceiling staying white. They had worked from the top of the walls to the bottom, and were on opposite ends of the room, carefully finished the very bottom of the walls.

“Still not sure what I’m going to tell him when he realizes I’m not going to need the nursery,” Celebrian said, interrupting the calm silence they had been working in.

“Still not sure what I’m going to tell him when he realizes you’re not going to need the nursery.” Haldir dipped his brush into the paint pot, letting the excess run back down to the bottom of it. “I lied to him first, I can’t imagine him being thrilled about that.”

“I don’t want to keep lying to him. Honestly, Halli, do you see it or not? You keep telling me it is going to happen, but I just don’t feel it.”

Haldir carefully planned his answer, but didn’t have a chance to respond. Above them voices were rising rapidly, and not in song or merriment. “Now what?” Haldir growled, letting the brush drop into the paint can. Celebrian followed him out of the room and up the stairs, where they found Rumil, Nenniach, Orophin, and Valarda in the hallway. “Nana and Ada?” Four heads nodded. Haldir walked past and through the doorway into the room where Celeborn and Galadriel were.

Celeborn was standing near the center of the room, arms crossed, and looking rather upset. Galadriel had elbows propped on the open space where a window would eventually go, head in her hands, leaning slightly out, still murmuring something rather uncomplimentary about her husband. ‘At least I’m not walking into them yelling at each other like last time,’ thought Haldir as he strategically entered the room and placed himself between them, careful not to be closer to one or the other. Nothing was said for some time until he offered the congenial, “It is a lovely day out.”

“That is exactly what I was trying to tell her!” Celeborn thrust his arms in the direction of Galadriel, who turned to glare at Haldir. “It is a lovely day, and not one to be spent indoors. All I suggested is that we step out and have a picnic or something of that nature, even a simple walk along the beach.”

Haldir looked over to his mother cautiously, noting her fists were now balled up at her sides, and her glare was focused on Celeborn. “All I pointed out was that if he would help us with this house half as much of the time he spends drinking in town with Thranduil, I would have the time to have a picnic or a walk.” Her eyes narrowed. “Tell him what you said to that, darling.”

‘Not good,’ thought Haldir, ‘definitely not good.’ He tossed a look over his back, noting that everyone else had stayed in the hall. Celeborn mumbled something, and Haldir turned his attention back to the conversation at hand. “Beg your pardon?”

“I told her it... I told her that we wouldn’t-“

Celeborn was cut off by snort of disdain from Galadriel. “Go ahead, you were elf enough to say it to me, go ahead and say it to him.”

Celeborn cleared his throat and started again. “I told her we wouldn’t be stuck putting such a large addition on this house if she hadn’t decided to have another child. And that she and I have a perfectly good house that never gets used just up the road and just once in the next year I’d like to see if we might actually make it back to our own bed for more than a week’s time.” There were a number of gasps from the hallway as Celeborn finished, and Galadriel turned back to the window.

“Well, that...” Haldir glanced over his shoulder again, expecting backup but finding none. “That was very rude. And mean. It’s not like she could just go and get pregnant all by herself, Ada!” Haldir stopped himself momentarily, surprised at the tone of his own voice. “And there isn’t very much you can do about it now, either.”

“Tell him what you told me we should do about it.”

Celeborn rolled his eyes. “I wasn’t serious.”

“Tell him,” snapped Galadriel, but she didn’t allow him the chance to speak. “He suggested that we pray to the Valar to send it back.”

“Send it back? I don’t think you have that option.” Haldir now found himself the recipient of an icy stare from Celeborn.

“Celeborn the Wise…you really don’t sound very wise making comments like that,” Galadriel added.

“Nana!” Haldir’s eyes were wide with disbelief. “I can’t say I agree with Adar’s behavior, but I can understand now why he acts as he does! This is ridiculous. You spent thousands of years together, the two elves that I never thought I'd live to see raise voice against one another, the two elves that I thought loved each other more than any others. Truly, you are both insane.” Both parents tried to protest, but Haldir raised a hand in either direction. “I’ve heard enough. This is stupid, and silly, and I’m not going to be a party to it. I’m going to go guard the Northern Fences.”

“There are no Northern Fences. In Valinor,” Celeborn said dryly.

Haldir’s jaw twitched. He took a moment, not wanting to participate in the yelling portion of the discussion. “Then I shall find some.” He walked from the room with as much grace as he could muster, considering the circumstances. He continued to walk down the hallway and around his siblings and in-laws that had been listening to the conversation.

“Where are you going to go, Haldir?” asked Orophin, placing a hand on his brother’s arm as he walked to the stairs.

“To the Northern Fences,” he said, as if it was as plain as anything.

“I shall accompany you,” decided Rumil, following along. The others began to fall in line behind Haldir as they made their descent to the first floor, finding the twins and Celebdreth sanding the banister.

“Where is everyone going?” Celebdreth asked his father.

“Northern Fences,” Rumil replied. Celebdreth exchanged confused looks with his cousins.

“Why?" he finally ventured as his mother passed.

“I did not hear it all, but your Grandfather is under the impression that the Valar can just ‘send back’ an elfling,” Nenniach told him. Her son and nephews took up the rear of the procession.

- - -

“Explain to me again why I’m here and not in my bed.” Elrond had wrapped his cloak around himself tightly, and was quite upset that he didn’t have any hot tea or cider to drink. At the very least, brandy would do, but it seemed no one had the foresight to bring even that.

“Guarding the Northern Fences.” Elladan looked once more at the tree they had found near the northernmost part of the shore.

Looked down once more at the tree.

From where he was sitting.

“Couldn’t you have found something more substantial? Maybe a rock or, I don’t know, an actual fence?” Elrohir drew up his knees, huddling closer to Elladan. “They call our house silly, and they don’t even have a real fence to guard.”

“How long are we staying out here, Captain?” questioned Elrond. “For although you seem to be content to feel the chill of the evening breeze, my sons and I are not.”

“I believe he is trying to make a point to them.” Celebrian placed an arm around Elrond and he sighed, tilting his head to rest against her shoulder. “You do have some sort of reason for all this, don’t you?”

Haldir was at the front of the group, leaning on his bow, which was stuck straight up in the sand. The other elves sat around the tree, the moon’s glow and reflection on the waters providing enough illumination for them. The First Homely House was still in sight, and Haldir had his eyes focused upon it. “That we are not going to stand for their arguments any longer. That we will not be chased out of the house by their bickering.”

“Haldir, not to burst your bubble, but we were chased out of the house by their bickering,” Valarda informed him.

Haldir digested this information, but said nothing in return. A pair of elves emerged from the First Homely House, and those guarding the ‘Northern Fences’ now began to stand.

As Celeborn and Galadriel approached, arm and arm, one would have mistaken this for the Golden Woods, by the regal way in which they walked across the sand, as if they had themselves summoned those by the tree and were coming now to greet them. They slowed as they approached, and Galadriel nodded to Celeborn, motioning that he should speak first if he desired. The elf lord opened his mouth to speak.

“Daro!” Haldir lifted his bow from out of the ground, and took a few steps in their direction. “You are forbidden to enter these woods.”

Celeborn closed his mouth, looking to the left, then to the right. Galadriel nudged him, and nodded toward the seedling.

“Wait just a moment!” Orophin pushed forward, shoving Haldir behind him. “You left the forest and went to Greenwood. You forfeited your title as Captain of the Golden Woods. I get to call the shots on the Northern Fences.”

Valarda tapped her husband on the shoulder. “I think you forget your rank, Warden.”

Orophin blushed slightly. “Oh. Right then. You’re the Captain, love.” He motioned her forward, and Valarda wretched Haldir’s bow from his hands, stepping in front of the tree. She eyes up the lord and lady, looked down at the tree behind her, and began to laugh. “It’s a twig. A bloody twig, I’m guarding a twig.” She walked past Orophin and Haldir, handing the bow to Rumil. “You’re next in command, you go be Captain of the Golden Stick.”

Rumil tried to pass the bow back. “I am content to be a house elf, if you please. No more guarding trees for me.”

“Oh, honestly.” Celebrian marched forward, taking the bow as she went past. “Daro!”

“No, no, dear, it’s Darr-Oh, not dah-Roh,” corrected Valarda.

“Daro,” tried Celebrian again, quieter and to the group.

“More Darr-oh, less Dare-oh,” Rumil suggested. “Daro. Daro,” he repeated, and Celebrian nodded.

“I say Daro ‘dah-Roh’, too,” Nenniach defended. “She had it right the first time, it’s just the Imladrish accent.”

“Imladrish accent.” Haldir crossed his arms in disbelief. “There is no such thing.”

“No me gusta Imladris,” added Orophin, grinning as he slung an arm around Haldir’s shoulder and leaned onto his brother. “You shouldn’t talk, Haldir, you’ve developed a Mirkwood tinge to your speech.”

“Absurd,” countered the shorter elf, “you must be mistaken.”

“Say Daro,” insisted Orophin.

Haldir looked around the crowd, noticing they were all listening. “Daro.”

“By the Valar, Oro, I think you’re right,” nodded Rumil.

“I rest my case.”

Celebrian cleared her throat and shoved the bow into the sand. “Daro!” she proclaimed.

“Very nice!”

“Excellent!”

“Good job.”

Everyone assembled, with the exception of Celeborn and Galadriel, were clapping politely. Celebrian gave nods and smiles in the general direction of the crowd.

“They’ve all gone mad,” whispered Celeborn to his wife.

“Daro!” repeated Celebrian. “You are forbidden to enter these woods!” She spread her free arm around, motioning to the tree behind her.

Staring down at the seedling, Celeborn finally said, “We don’t want to enter these woods. We just wanted to let you know we’ve come to an agreement. And that we are not fighting anymore.”

“Not fighting anymore, or not fighting anymore until tomorrow?” Orophin was silenced by a slap on the arm by Valarda.

“We are not fighting. Anymore.” Galadriel pulled herself closer to Celeborn. “We would like to make apology to everyone for the distress that the situation had caused.”

Celeborn nodded. “We will live with all of you in the house, if you would still have us. And Galadriel will have the elfling. Of course,” he added hastily.

“Are you sure you don’t want to discuss it further?” prodded Haldir. “Wait until it gets here, and then if you don’t like it, we could maybe see if the Valar would let us put it back?”

“Uncle,” frowned Elrohir, “that was most uncalled for.”

“If we’re done here,” Elrond announced, cloak tightly wrapped around him, “I am going back to the house. My house,” he said, pointing to himself for emphasis. “And in my house, there will be hot chocolate and cider for those who wish to join me in my parlor. Good evening to those who would rather stand here and freeze.” He rounded up his sons and nephew and took a step in the direction of the First Homely House.

And stepped on the forest.

“Ai! The Northern Fences!” Orophin threw himself to the ground next to the seedling. “You broke it!”

“Someone call the healer!” Valarda called out, and then dramatically added, “Wait, don’t call the healer!”

Rumil stooped down, examining the tree. “I don’t think it’s quite dead yet. We could prop it up or something.”

“I don’t think so,” disagreed Valarda. “It lacks structural integrity.”

“Strucsawhat?”

Elrond stopped in his tracks, trudged back to the tree, and yanked it out of the ground. Nearly everyone gasped in shock or jumped back in mild surprise. “There. That is that. The Northern Fences are dead, long live the Northern Fences. Refreshments in the parlor. Ten minutes.” With that, he tossed the tree onto the ground and continued to walk to the First Homely House.

Celebrian nudged the tree with her toe. “Well, no sense in guarding it now.” She handed the bow back to Haldir and followed after Elrond.

Orophin studied the tree. “We could-“

“No,” said Haldir.

“But if we-“

“No,” Haldir repeated, pulling Orophin up from the ground with Valarda’s help.

“It hardly had a chance!” Orophin wailed, then straightened up and took the lead. “He did say there was going to be hot chocolate, did he not?”

Rumil glanced at the ground, then at his parents, and then at his wife. “Shall we?” he asked, offering his arm to her. They left Celeborn and Galadriel standing on the shore in front of the seedling.

“I think that went rather well,” remarked Celeborn.

“Hmm. Hot chocolate.” Galadriel laid a hand on her belly, tilting her head as she looked down. “No? You want cider? And cookies. I think we might find some cookies.” Pulling herself away from Celeborn, she began to wander back to the house.

Celeborn bent over and picked up the remains of the tree. “Perhaps we might talk about what to name the elfling later. I’ve never been able to name any of our children, you know,” he added with a hint of sadness.

“She already has a name. I told you weeks ago that Haldir has named her.” Galadriel continued along, whispering downwards, “Honestly, one would wonder if your father were going senile.”

“Senile!” snorted Celeborn. “You’re years older than I am, by the time I go senile-“ Celeborn bit his lip as Galadriel turned, eyes narrowed. “Well, what I mean, it is that, actually- Oh, bugger.” Celeborn hung his head, shoulders drooped as Galadriel approached.

Galadriel reached out and took Celeborn’s face in her hands. “I love it when you stick your foot in your mouth, because you only do it around me.” She moved forward, her lips close to his, brushing against them as she spoke. “I love that we are having this elfling together, because you are a wonderful father and it would truly be a shame not to raise another child.” Celeborn’s arms wrapped around his wife as she continued. “More than anything else, Celeborn, I love you.”

“Love you too, Galadriel.”

“Mmm.” She closed her eyes. “I love it when you say my name.”

“See? I’m not that bad at naming elves.”

They kissed for some time, moonlight making them visible to anyone who might have come down to the beach. Galadriel slid the tree slowly out of Celeborn’s grasp, and broke away as soon as she had hold of it. Celeborn raised his brows in confusion, until he was smacked three or four times with the tree. “I am not old. Never say that again,” she warned, waving the remains of the Northern Fences at him.

“I never said you were old,” countered Celeborn. “I said you were-” Celeborn took a step back as the tree was raised. “-lovely, and caring, and passionate, and didn’t you want cookies? Galadriel?” Celeborn pulled her arms down to her sides and kissed her on the nose. “Galadriel? Cookies?”

Galadriel tossed the tree aside. “Love some.” She took hold of his arm and they walked toward the First Homely House.
I'm Going to the West by Zhie
“Do Thranduil again!” snickered Orophin.

“Oh, yes! Your Thranduil is most excellent!” grinned Valarda.

Haldir drank deeply from the bottle of wine and set it into the sand. Picking up the closer of the two lanterns, he sat up a bit, lantern held out in front of him. “ ‘I don’t know – go to the West, or keep living in caves surrounded by orcs and spiders. Let me lock you in the dungeon while I think about it.’ ”

Orophin and Valarda both doubled over in laughter as Haldir set the lantern back down and reached for his wine bottle, dismayed to find it empty. Valarda tossed another one to him, careful to aim it around the fire they had made on the beach.

“What about Ada?” asked Orophin playfully. Valarda smirked, and made a hasty grab for a lantern.

“ ‘If I go to the West, does Galadriel have to know I’m there?’ ” Both brothers chuckled and snorted at Valarda’s imitation of their father.

- - -

It was a variation on a game played on the journey to Valinor to keep Celebdreth (and his uncles) from getting bored on the long trip across the sea.

“With everything packed up, what are we supposed to do on the way to Valinor?” Celebdreth asked Haldir. Nephew and uncle were leaning over the railing of the Brillach, watching as the waves hit the side of the ship. They weren’t more than a few hours out of port, the shore of Mithlond still visible upon the horizon.

Haldir grinned at the youth’s impatience. “The journey is not terribly far. It is well worth the wait to see the lands I have heard of only in tale and legend.”

“Are you not bored?” questioned Celebdreth.

Giving a shrug, Haldir motioned for his nephew to follow him to a bench on the deck. “Bored, aye that I am. Homesick, but for what home I yearn for, I know not. Patient, though, for I know that the trip, however long, is short compared to living forever in Valinor.”

Celebdreth sat down, clutching his stomach. “Forever. That seems so final. It seems so…long.”

Haldir reassuringly placed his hand upon Celebdreth’s shoulder. “You need not fear it, Celebdreth.”

“It is not my own immortality I fear,” admitted the young elf. “It is the choice still ahead of my cousins. I can easily guess Arwen’s path, and cannot fault her for it. But Elrohir and Elladan…” he trailed off, looking back at the outline of land in the distance. “Perhaps I should have waited for them. Perhaps I made a mistake.”

Celeborn heard the worries of his youngest grandchild and moved now to join them near the back of the ship. “We often question our decisions, though we can only move forward and not back. They must make their own choices, as you have made yours. Come, let’s not speak anymore of this.” The old elf turned away, dabbing at the corners of his eyes. He truly hoped his other grandsons would one day follow them to Valinor, but his certainty on this faltered often. “I have a game we could play.”

“A game we can play? But nothing is here to play a game with,” Celebdreth said.

“Have you not played a game with nothing before?” asked Celeborn. Celebdreth shook his head. “Never? Not ‘stop and go’ or ‘hide and seek’ or ‘tig’.” Again, Celebdreth shook his head. “Ah, but I forget, you had few elflings to play with when you were growing up. Well then. Time to learn.”

Celeborn was interrupted, as the door to the decks below swung open. Orophin stumbled out, navigating a zigzagged path to the side. Valarda followed behind, shaking her head. “I told you not to eat before we left. Lembas and water, that’s all you’re getting until we get to shore.”

“I’m never going to set foot on another ship ever again,” Orophin moaned as he hung over the side, abruptly drawing himself back over the rail as he watched the water churn below.

Celeborn waved Orophin over to the benches. “Sit down here, on the floor in front of me. Lean your head back against my knees.” Orophin did as instructed, and Celeborn positioned his hands on either side of his son’s head, rubbing his temples in a circular motion. “Close your eyes. Slow your breath.” Celeborn nodded to Valarda that she could leave if she so chose, but the elleth sat down on the bench next to her father-in-law.

“Ada?” Celeborn looked up at Haldir. “There was a game you were going to tell us about?”

“Oh, yes.” Celeborn continued to massage Orophin’s temples, noting the younger elf looked a lot less green than he had. “It is a game called ‘I’m Going to the West’.”

“How does one play?” Celebdreth turned back to look at his grandfather, sitting on the bench across from him.

“Quite simple really. The first elf says ‘I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking…’ and they say something beginning with the first letter of the alphabet. Then the second elf says, ‘I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking…’ and they say something beginning with the second letter of the alphabet.”

“That’s easy," replied Celebdreth.

“But there’s a catch. The second elf has to say their own item, and the item the first elf said. And so on, right through the entire list of letters. But there’s one more thing I must tell you,” added Celeborn. “You must use the Westron alphabet.”

“Why?” the question was from all of the other elves present.

“Because it makes it more difficult that way. Funnier, too, having to come up with Westron words. I’ll go first,” offered Celeborn in answer to the skeptical looks he was being given. “I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking an aardvark.”

“Why would you take an aardvark?”

“Are there any aardvarks in Valinor?”

“Your turn, Haldir,” Celeborn informed him, ignoring the questions.

Haldir thought for a moment. “I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking a Balrog and an aardvark.”

“Why in Arda would you bring a Balrog along?” shivered Orophin, still on the floor, still with his eyes closed. “Both of you, you think of such silly things.”

“Go on then, if you can do better.”

“I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking…Celeborn, a Balrog, and an aardvark.”

Celeborn frowned. “You should really try to use Westron words, it loses something otherwise.”

“You want we should leave you behind?” asked Orophin. He hissed as Celeborn pinched him on the neck.

“I want you should put me on a ship without a Balrog and an aardvark!”

Celebdreth drew in a breath. “I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking a dog, Celeborn, a Balrog, and an aardvark.”

“Nicely done!” said Celeborn, and he was rewarded with a small smile from the youth.

“I’m going to the West,” proclaimed Valarda, “and with me I’m taking an eagle, a dog, Celeborn, a Balrog, and an aardvark.” Valarda looked around. “Now what?”

“Now, we begin again.” Celeborn cleared his throat. “I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking furniture, an eagle, a dog, myself, a Balrog, and an aardvark. On a very large ship,” he laughed.

“I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking Glorfindel of Gondolin, furniture, an eagle, a dog, Celeborn, a Balrog, and an aardvark.”

“Two G-words, Hirband Arabeleg. You should get double points for that,” teased Valarda. Haldir stuck his tongue out at her in a very un-dignified manner.

“I certainly wish we might have convinced Glorfindel to sail with us,” sighed Celebdreth, looking back once again. “And Erestor. And Elrohir and Elladan. And Cirdan. And Saelbeth. And-“

“Penneth, fret not! Many of them will come yet.” Celeborn nudged Orophin to continue quickly with the game.

“I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking horses, Glorfindel of Gondolin, furniture, an eagle, a dog, Celeborn, a Balrog, and an aardvark.” Orophin was more alert now, and slid up onto the bench between Celeborn and Valarda. He nodded at Celebdreth.

“I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking ink, horses, Glorfindel of Gondolin, furniture, an eagle, a dog, Celeborn, a Balrog, and an aardvark.” Celebdreth leaned against Haldir, forcing himself not to look behind again. Haldir gave him a half-hug with one arm, and looked at Valarda.

“I’m going to the West, and with me, I’m taking jelly, furniture, and a Balrog.”

“What?” Celeborn looked around Orophin to see Valarda’s raised brow. “What happened to the rest of the stuff?”

“Turns out the Balrog was hungry. After eating the aardvark, dog, eagle, and horses, he realized Glorfindel was the elf who killed his cousin’s best friend’s uncle’s chef. Consequently, he ate Glorfindel, too, and washed him down with a bottle of ink.”

“I don’t care about Glorfindel, what about me?” demanded Celeborn.

“Oh, well, my Lord, I give you much more credit. You would have jumped off the ship the minute the Balrog started to eye up the aardvark. Terrible what he did to that poor aardvark,” she said, shaking her head.

Celeborn was quiet for a bit, everyone else grinning around him. “Are you sure you’re not one of my children?” he finally asked.

- - -

The contemporary version of “I’m Going to the West” was slightly different. Gone were the long lists of animals and objects one might find on a wayward ship to Valinor. Replacing them were the imitations of family and friends who had taken the journey or were yet to come to the shores.

“Alright, alright, alright. Nana, going to the west.” Orophin took a couple of deep breaths, and then whispered something to Valarda, who nodded, and walked a few feet off. Haldir leaned back in the sand, using his palms to keep himself balanced. “ ‘I shall now depart to the West. Celeborn?’ ” Orophin turned, motioning Valarda forward.

“ ‘Bye! Have a lovely journey!’ ” she shouted, imitating Celeborn once again. Then, turning to look in the direction opposite of the shore, she shouted, “ ‘Hey! Thranduil! Break out the barrel, I’m coming home!’ ” They collapsed onto the beach once again in fits of laughter.

After an evening spent on the same beach guarding the ‘Northern Fences’, they were now burning the remains of the Northern Fences, as well as any driftwood and twigs they had found along the way. Hot chocolate and cider was replaced with liquor, and they had snagged a pair of the famed lanterns used by the Imladris elves when they made their journey to the Undying Lands. Lit with candles, the lanterns flickered whimsical patterns against the sand and the waves that splashed nearby.

Haldir recovered, picking up one of the lanterns. “Glorfindel, going to the West. ‘I’m going to the West! Don’t try to stop me!’” He took a step near the shore, turned slightly, and hissed, “ ‘Elrond! Stop me.’”

“Ah, that is so like our Balrog Slayer. I can’t remember how many times he threatened and was pulled back by someone during negotiation. He used that tactic on Ada so often, he could call it every time.” Orophin walked over to Haldir, snatching the lantern. “Again, Glorfindel. ‘I tried to go West once, but they sent me back. Have I ever told you the story of the Balrog in Gondolin?’”

Haldir took the lantern back. “Elrond, going to the West. ‘Valinor. The Undying Lands. Repite. Me gusta the West. Come, let us all go to the West.’”

Valarda raised her own lantern. “Frodo Baggins. Going to the West. Ahem.” She managed the saddest looking face she could, then said, “ ‘I would go to the West, but I do not know the way.’ ”

All three of them were laughing so hard that they did not notice the pair of figures approaching them.

“Hold on, I’ve got it. Mithrandir, woeing to the guest. I mean. Heh, never mind. Go ahead, Oro.” Haldir set the lantern onto the beach, maneuvering himself back onto the ground. Valarda snorted as she passed Haldir a bottle of something that would guarantee him a headache the next morning.

“Erestor, going to the west. ‘I’m going to the West, although, according to this book here, we’re taking a northwestern path across the sea. Either way, I’m not going to let myself enjoy the trip.’” This was accompanied by an unamused stare.

“Oooo, remember how he used to glare at everyone? I think he even glared back at himself in the mirror in the morning,” giggled Valarda, taking the lantern.

Orophin made to add something, but hiccupped so violently, he fell to his knees, and started laughing again.

“Ready? Heh, heh heh heh…” Valarda had to stop herself for a moment, controlling her laughter. She took a deep breath, lifting the lantern again. “Lindir. Going to the West. Whew.” She drew another breath. “ ‘North, South; East, West; I always say; West is Best!’ ” Orophin and Haldir clapped loudly, and Valarda bowed as she completed her performance.

Orophin stretched his arms wide above his head. "Then again, Lindir is so overly analytical and philosophical sometimes." He balanced upon his knees, not using a lantern. "Lindir going to the West. 'If we went east, would we not eventually get to the West?'" Orophin plopped back onto the sand to bout of laughter.

Haldir lifted himself uneasily from the ground, staggering to the lantern. “Mithrandir. And we all know where he’s going.” They burst into laughter again, and Haldir nearly stumbled into the dying bonfire. “ ‘And for my next trick – I shall go to the West!’ “

Valarda and Orophin were silent for a moment before Valarda pounded the sand with her fist. “I get it! Trick! Because he’s a wizard!”

“I don’t think we got it. Would you mind explaining it?” Haldir literally jumped into the air upon hearing the voices behind him, and stumbled backwards onto the sand next to Orophin. The laughing stopped as Elrond stepped forward, Celeborn behind him.

“It seems the lanterns from the hall were missing. We came to see if you knew where they were. Ah, it seems you do,” nodded Celeborn as Valarda and Haldir sheepishly held up the lanterns. Orophin finished off the rest of the last open bottle.

Each of the sober elves took hold of a lantern. “You three are going to be sicker than…well, sicker than you’ve been in a long time,” Celeborn settled on. Elrond was contemplating the lantern as Celeborn continued to lecture. Finally, the older elf looked at his son-in-law. “I think we should lock them out of the house, myself. With our luck, they’ll mess the new carpets in the hallways by morning. Best to let them sleep it off on the beach.”

Elrond cleared his throat. “Haldir. Going to the West.” Celeborn threw his free arm up in the air, making to walk away, but after a moment, was back to watch Elrond’s impression. “ ‘The West? I’ve heard of it. Am I going? Well, it’s not that I really desire to go to the West, but I assume the Valar would want at least one example of a perfect elf living there.’” Haldir slapped Orophin across the back of the head as he shook in silent laughter.

“ ‘I’m going to the West. I think it’s only right to see such an island of perfection,’” began Celeborn, then in a lower voice, very close to Haldir’s drawl, he added “ ‘And with me, I’m taking these mallyrn seedlings…and this lembas…and these rabbits…”

“If someone would have informed me that Valinor had all that, I wouldn’t have had to smuggle it all along!” interrupted Haldir, face slightly flushed.

Elrond cleared his throat and tried once more, perfecting not only the intonation, but Haldir's facial expressions as well. "You have entered the West," he sneered, pointing at Haldir accusingly. "You cannot go back."

Orophin smirked, directing his comment to Valarda. “They really have him down perfectly, don’t they?”

“Orophin, going to the West.” Orophin’s face fell as Celeborn lifted his lantern once again. “ ‘Haldir’s going to the West? I want to go to the West!’ “

“ ‘The West?’ “ Elrond now had his lantern raised. “ ‘You mean…there’s a *fourth * direction?!’ “

“Hey! Not funny. Not funny,” repeated Orophin, punching Haldir in the shoulder as the older brother bowed his head, laughing.

“Valarda, going to the West.“ Celeborn thought for a moment, then said, “ ‘I’m going to the West. And I’m not taking anything, because the Balrog ate it all.’ “ Even Valarda smirked at this, although Elrond tossed Celeborn a confused look. “I’ll explain later.”

Elrond stepped forward. “Rumil, going to the West. ‘I’m going to the West…though I am filled with sorrow to take from Arda such irreplaceable beauty…’”

“Hey! Leave Rumil out of this!” argued Haldir.

“Come, they’re beginning to sober up. We should get back to the house and bar the door before they are able to follow.” Elrond agreed with Celeborn’s assessment, and the two started back. Celeborn suddenly stopped, walking back to the embers of the fire with a wicked grin upon his face.

“Daro. You’ve come to the Northern Fences. Something, something, you can not pass.” Haldir’s speech was slurred, and his gestures just as awkward. Valarda reached for a fresh bottle of wine.

Celeborn lifted the lantern. “Legolas, going to the West. ‘I’m going to the West.’” Celeborn looked conspiratorially behind him, then placing his free hand to the side of his mouth in a sneaky fashion, added in a low voice, “ ‘And I’m bringing…a dwarf!’ ” With that, he blew out the candle that lit the lantern and turned back in the direction of the house.

“That wasn’t very funny,” remarked Valarda.

“I don’t…get it,” said Orophin, turning to Haldir.

Haldir chewed on his bottom lip. “I don’t think that one was a joke.”

All three of them groaned, though none knew if it was because of their impending hangovers or not.

“A dwarf in Valinor.” Haldir shuddered. “I need a drink.”
Laughing at the Sand by Zhie
Haldir realized he was wet.

Very wet. And very cold.

He rolled onto his back, and immediately found this to be a mistake as another bucket of icy water hit him. Sitting up abruptly made things worse. Although it stopped Galadriel from dousing him with another bucket, it did cause everything to shake and swerve rather violently. Somehow he was aware of Orophin's presence by the amused snorting and sleepy chuckles behind him.

Bleary-eyed, Haldir looked up at his mother, wishing she would hold steady for a moment. "Good morning, Nana," he mustered as cheerfully as he could, but his voice was raw and he slurred the words unintentionally. Now Orophin was openly laughing, and if he'd been a bit more sober, Haldir knew he would have slugged his younger brother.

"Good morning? It is late afternoon, and most definitely not a good one," she fumed, tossing the empty bucket at her feet. "Just what were you thinking, getting drunk on the beach in clear view of anyone traveling from the east, not to mention anyone who cared to look from the west."

"You've never had a problem with us drinking on the beach before." This was not the correct response, as Haldir soon found out. He fast found himself on his feet, one of Galadriel's hands holding him up by the front of his shirt, and the other pointing a long, angry finger at his nose.

"There is a fine line between drinking and getting drunk, and you ran clear across it and never looked back." The finger shook at him violently, and Haldir had to look away to keep from getting dizzy. As it was, her words were magnified in his head.

On the bright side, Orophin had stopped laughing.

"I've been drunk lots of times, Nana," continued Haldir, somehow thinking he could appeal to her in a diplomatic fashion. "Both here and back in Lorien. And in Mirkwood, lots of times in Mirkwood." He heard Orophin laugh again, and something told him if he was within range, he would have kicked him.

Galadriel did not respond at first, and Haldir was thankful, for it gave him some time to try to recall exactly what and how much alcohol he had consumed the previous night. "I refuse to continue this conversation outside. Into the house. Now."

The instant Galadriel let go of Haldir, he felt his knees give way and he crumpled to the ground. Unsuccessfully, he tried a few times to stand back up as he watched Galadriel walk briskly to the house. A hand suddenly appeared in front of him, and he grabbed hold, using it to steady himself as Orophin and Valarda both helped him manage an upright position. Using both of them for support, Haldir took a few steps forward, then suddenly stopped.

"Don't tell me you're going to be sick," Valarda warned, noting Haldir's color and facial expression. She ducked out from his arm and made her way to the house. "I'll hold the door open for you!" she offered, staggering forward in a variable line.

"Hey! A little help, here, dearest!" Orophin managed to reposition Haldir as they headed once again to the house.

"He's your brother, my love!" Valarda shouted back, pulling herself onto the porch, heavily relying on the railing. "You're the one who told me you wanted to take care of him. Far be it for me to step in."

Orophin shrugged as he continued to help Haldir along. "Why aren't you feeling the affects of the drink, Oro?" Haldir hadn't ever gotten himself this drunk before, and never before to any degree with either of his brothers.

Orophin hauled Haldir up the porch and through the door, which Valarda held open as promised. "Don't know." Orophin looked around, listening for the others in the house, settling on the kitchen as their final destination.

"Oh, he is," promised Valarda, taking up the rear of the procession. "He most certainly is. He gets very odd. Odder than normal."

"Pay no attention to the voices in the hall," Orophin muttered, kicking the kitchen door open.

"See? He's getting silly already." Valarda was about to sit down when someone yanked her back up.

"Ah, ah, ah. You're wet." Celebrian had been in the kitchen already, conversing with Rumil and Nenniach over a light lunch. "Up to your room and change into something dry. You could use a bath, too!" she added as Valarda reluctantly left the room.

"I don't think Haldir can do steps right now," argued Orophin as Celebrian pointed in the direction of the door.

"I don't much care whether he can or not. I will not have him mess my kitchen. The last time he got drunk, I had to scrape some sort of nearly lembas concoction off of my baking pans. If he's clean and dry, he can sit at the table, but until then, out!"

Orophin pulled Haldir into the hallway to the stairs.

They made it four steps before the new carpet had to be cleaned.

- - -

In the end, Orophin opted for a simpler task than getting Haldir to his rooms. He tossed his brother into the sea to take a bath, and retrieved fresh clothes for him. Hours later, three very tired, hung-over elves sat at the kitchen table of the First Homely House, with naught but their hair wet. The door to the kitchen creaked open, and all three groaned at the noise. In walked one elf, and a second, identical copy.

"Ada had us remove the rugs from the stairs," Elladan said, sitting down at one end of the table.

"Lovely shade of orange you discovered, Uncle." Elrohir was able to cover his grin with his back turned. He pulled two cups down from the cupboard, and shut the door, then made sure the doors to each and every cupboard and drawer were tightly shut, pulling a few out twice and rechecking them just in case.

"I can't imagine he's happy about the rugs," Haldir answered, staring down into his mug of untouched black coffee. Across from him, Valarda had her head propped upon her hands, elbows on the table. She, too, was quite intrigued by the contents of her cup.

Elladan shrugged. "He really didn't like the rugs, as a matter of fact. I think you've done him a great favor."

Elrohir nodded, facing the group now as he slowly poured two cups from the pot that had been hanging near the fire. He slowly walked to Elladan, setting one cup in front of him on the table, and Haldir grunted in displeasure as Elrohir continued to the other side of the table, his boots clicking against the floor in an unfamiliar way.

"Sugar?" Elrohir offered his brother.

"Yes, please." Elladan now stood, and the rustle of the fabric as he walked to his twin sounded to Valarda like thunder in the heavens. Elrohir measured each spoonful with painstaking accuracy, scraping the metal along the top of the bowl, tapping the overturned spoon against the top of the cup until each granule had fallen into the liquid. Elladan rounded the table to sit again, and was about to sip from his cup when he suggested, "Cream?"

"I should think so." Elrohir got up again, making his way to the doorway in the corner that led to the underground pantry, a cool storage area for such things as cream. Once he had entered, those in the kitchen were treated to a carnival of sounds as Elrohir rummaged through what had to be the entire contents of the pantry before finding the cream. Elladan sat at the table, saying nothing, as he stirred his own drink, spoon ricocheting off the sides in a clinking symphony of sound.

"Here we are." Elrohir emerged from the cellar, victoriously holding a bottle of cream. It took the twins another twenty minutes to pour the cream, find sweets that were to their liking, and a plate to put them on, for they remarked the company of the kitchen left something to be desired. They left just barely containing their smirks as they disappeared through the door.

"Do you think Nana sent them, or their father?" asked Haldir, still not looking up from his cup.

Valarda rubbed her head, hoping to persuade her headache to subside. "It had to be Galadriel. Did you see the heap of food they took with them? It's all for her, I'm sure. She sent them, I just know it."

"And the coffee. Elrond doesn't drink coffee. The twins take theirs with vanilla, no cream, no sugar." Haldir turned to look to his left where Orophin sat, waiting for his younger brother's opinion.

"Urrrrreppppp."

Haldir closed his eyes and turned back to his coffee. "That was quite informative, Oro." As an afterthought, Haldir kicked him under the table.

"Ow." Orophin looked up expectantly at his brother, then his wife, and frowned upon seeing that neither had so much as looked up. "I said, Ow."

Haldir opened his eyes again. "Hmm?"

"I said, OW." Orophin crossed his arms and pouted. "Ow, as in, something has hurt me."

"Oh. Are you hurt?" asked Haldir.

Orophin rolled his eyes. "Nay, I am not hurt. I was just testing you. And you failed miserably." He whacked at Haldir's shoulder with the palms of his hands for a few moments, but when he did not receive any reaction, he looked across at Valarda, wagging a finger. "And you-" She arched one brow, fiercely staring him down. "-are quite lovely this after-evening-night," Orophin noted that darkness had begun to claim the sky.

"I think one can safely say this was the least productive day we have ever had," Valarda finally decided, dipping her pinky finger into her coffee to find it had gone cold.

"Pancakes," nodded Orophin. "We should have pancakes." He looked up at Valarda hopefully.

"I'd love some pancakes, dear one. I think I'm going to take a walk around the house while you make them." Valarda slid back her chair and managed to walk out of the room much better than she had walked into the room.

"Halli…" Orophin glanced sideways at Haldir hopefully.

"Haldir isn't here right now. If you leave a message, he might get back to you in the morning."

Orophin stretched his arms and legs, then began to gather the necessary ingredients. And started to whistle. Then hum. Then sing. "I like fireflies, I like fireflies, I like fireflies-"

"Stop it, Oro, or I'm going to throttle you."

"I like fireflies, yummy little fireflies, I like fireflies, crunchy munchy fireflies, I like fireflies…Halli?" Orophin turned to find Haldir clutching his stomach and looking none too happy. "If you're going to get sick again, don't do it in here," he advised, putting down the jar of flour he had retrieved from the pantry.

"I think…I should go outside."

Orophin nodded. "I'll help you out." He successfully managed to get Haldir out of the kitchen and eventually out of the house before Haldir emptied the contents of his stomach once again, this time, luckily hitting the sand and not the carpet. "Rather convenient, you having to puke, and us living on the beach." Orophin mused, holding his brothers hair from his face and rubbing his back. Haldir was bent over, hands steadied on his knees.

"Do not ever let me drink that much ever again. In fact, if I so much as look at an alcoholic beverage…" Haldir stopped as he was interrupted once again.

"I give you a day, three at the most, Hirband Arabeleg, and you'll be throwing them back with your father laughing about today." Valarda had made the circuit of the house and approached them, fiddling in her pocket to retrieve a handkerchief. She handed the cloth out to Haldir once he'd finished round two. She then pulled Orophin aside. "He was doing fine in the house, what happened? You didn't make him eat your pancakes, did you?"

"No, I most certainly did not. I didn't even make them yet." Orophin looked over his shoulder to be sure that Haldir was still too preoccupied to hear them.

Valarda gave him a look of disbelief. "I can not imagine you were not involved somehow. What else were you doing?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing." Orophin frowned. "Wait. I was singing."

"You were singing." Valarda snorted. "I suppose I can attest to the fact that your singing has never done anyone any good, but this would be the first time you made someone sick with your voice." She paused, tapped her foot a moment, and asked, "What were you singing?"

Orophin blushed. "The crunchy firefly song."

Valarda slapped Orophin across the back of his head. "Perhaps you did not notice, but Haldir isn't on speaking terms with food right now. The last thing he needed to think about was eating fireflies. Honestly, I don't know where you come up with these things." Valarda stalked away, calling to Orophin, "I'm putting your brother to bed. You go back to the kitchen and finish what you started. I'll meet you there shortly."

Orophin waited until he was alone on the beach, then covered up the new evidence of last night's excursion. Once satisfied, he entered the house and went to the kitchen.

"Rumil!" Orophin jumped from the doorway to the counter where Rumil was setting freshly made pancakes on a platter. He squeezed his younger brother in an unexpected bear hug, eyeing up the pancakes. "You made pancakes!"

"I'm making pancakes," Rumil corrected, measuring out the batter on the griddle. "And I hear you all went out and got drunk last night."

"That we did," confirmed Orophin, rocking on his feet.

"Without me," sighed Rumil.

"Er, sorry." Orophin slumped against Rumil, arm around his brother's waist. "My fault there, I invited Haldir out with us. Planned just to take Valarda out to the beach, have a few drinks, a few laughs…" Orophin made a continuing motion with his free hand, and Rumil nodded knowingly, flipping the pancakes. "But I feel so bad for him, he's like a little lost rabbit, just wandering all around."

"He does seem lonely. Everyone else is paired off, save the boys, but they're grouped together, and they're young yet." Rumil looked at Orophin quizzically, noticing his brother's grin. "What now?"

"You realize we call the twins boys, young ones, elflings, though we aren't much older than they are. How many years separate us? One hundred? Two hundred?" Orophin held out the platter to collect the finished pancakes. "Why is it that when you pour the batter, even if you pour it like a square, it always makes a circle?"

"Magic," answered Rumil.

"Ah." Orophin watched Rumil pour out the remaining batter. "Haldir arrived at the tail end of the second age. When were the twins born again?"

"Around 130, 140. Just over a hundred years. That isn't very long at all," Rumil smiled, shaking his head. "I suppose I just feel older, married to someone much older than I am." Orophin nodded in agreement. "Clebri, too, it must be a family trait."

"If it is," smirked Orophin, pulling one of the pancakes off of the platter and rolling it up to eat it, "we must get it from Adar."

Rumil laughed. "How right you are. But, there was reason for your bringing up the ages of the twins."

"I think our brother needs a few friends his own age. Some elves to go out and have a good time with. Face it, dear Rumil, we have settled down. Can you imagine ever having to guard a forest again, travel ‘cross the plains in search of adventure. Do you get the urge often to slaughter orcs?" Rumil shook his head to all of Orophin's questions. "But the twins, and your son, all three scamper away in the night doing Varda knows what Mandos knows where Elbereth knows with whom."

"And you believe Haldir would benefit from such an excursion," guessed Rumil, cleaning up the mess in the kitchen. Orophin began to set out plates and silverware on the table. "You might be right about that, Oro. Such wonderful ideas you come up with when you're hung over, truly, you're going to have to get drunk more often." Rumil was answered with a dishtowel flung at his head. "It is something to think about, at the least," he decided, catching the rag and tossing it to the counter.

Orophin set the table, whistling as he worked. Whistling turned to humming, humming to singing.

"Crunchy munchy fireflies. How very interesting," commented Elrond as he entered the kitchen, Celebrian at his side. "Might one inquire as to the origin of the song?"

Orophin shrugged. "Ask your wife, she's the one who taught it to us."

Elrond's eyes slowly looked to Celebrian. Blushing furiously, she spied the platter on the table. "Mmmm. Pancakes."

Laughter filtered through from the hallway, and soon Valarda and Nenniach were pulling chairs up to the table. "The lord and lady will not be joining us this evening. She is tired, and he is cranky. Or perhaps it was she who was cranky, and he who was tired," Valarda shrugged, and continued. "Regardless, it was obviously only an excuse for them to-" She was silenced by the waving of hands of the rest of the elves in the room, especially the siblings.

"We all know well what they do up there, none of us wants to think of it," Elrond answered for the group.

"I'm sure the twins feel quite the same regarding you and Celebrian," smirked Valarda.

"Speaking of the twins," interjected Rumil, "Orophin had an idea regarding the boys and Haldir."

"More a passing thought. Just that they are closer in age than I had realized before, and that perhaps he should be persuaded to join them on one of their outings." Orophin dripped syrup onto his stack of pancakes before passing the bottle to Nenniach.

"The idea has merit," agreed Elrond as he began to methodically cut his dinner. "Although, I have noticed that Haldir gravitates to those in the house. If any of us are here, he will not likely go with them. They have offered in the past, and each time he has refused."

For some time the table was quiet with the exception of the dinner din. It was Nenniach who presented the solution. "There is a play festival being presented in a few weeks. We could vacation there; it would be nice to get away from the construction project. We can ask Haldir to watch the house and the shores and to keep an eye on Celebdreth and the twins. He would still be able to join the boys for a few hours, and I think it might seem less planned."

"We'll have to let the twins in on the plans," noted Orophin.

"What plans?" Elrohir and Elladan were standing in the doorway, Celebdreth behind them.

"Do I get to know?" Celebdreth followed his cousins into the room, all of them finding seats around the table.

"It concerns all of you," Elrond said. "But it will have to remain a secret."

"We love secrets, Ada," Elladan announced, as if this was some new revelation.

"It is something of a difficult quest we will be sending you on," added Celebrian.

"Quests are our specialty, Nana," Elrohir assured her.

"And, it involves Haldir."

All three were silent for a moment, exchanging surprised glances. "So it's an impossible mission then," mused Celebdreth. He looked to his cousins again, grinning. "Excellent."
In the Dance Hall of the Elven King by Zhie
"It wasn't really my idea!" Orophin chased down the stairs after Valarda. His wife was carrying a sack across one shoulder and a bundled blanket under the other arm. "It was the alcohol! My hangover! The bloody purple bunny! Pick what you will, but I am not taking credit for this! And I am not going!" he added, grabbing the items she had just set down and running up the steps with them.

"It was your idea, it came from your lips!" Now the chaser, Valarda marched up behind Orophin, hands on her hips. "If it was the alcohol, your hangover, or the damned rabbit, my congratulations to them, each and every one! Now stop making my existence difficult and leave everything be! We are leaving, you are coming, and that is all there is."

Orophin kicked open the door to their rooms and threw the bag in, followed by the blanket, then shut the door and held the knob tightly, keeping himself in the doorway. "It is a bad idea!"

"Oh, balrog wings, it's a great idea. You're just sore that you said something brilliant and have witnesses to it."

"But the last time! The last time, when Nana tried to find him an elleth, that didn't work out very well!" Orophin said, grasping for an argument.

Valarda crossed her arms. "The last time, as I recall it, was near a thousand years ago. The last time, your mother forced him to entertain the granddaughter of King Thranduil. The last time, it turned out she picked out one crazy, power-hungry, dictatorial elleth from the forest of despair. Oro, that was the most impossible situation I have ever seen – the girl was talking about skinning orcs and taking their skulls and eating giant spiders – even your mother was afraid of her."

"Case in point. We are not leaving Haldir here. For all we know, the little princess is wandering around Valinor, waiting to strike-"

"Oro, we aren't trying to find him a soul mate, we're trying to let him have a breath of air, for Elbereth's sake!" She finally managed to pry his fingers from the door knob, and the door swung into the room. They grappled a bit in the doorway, until Valarda rolled her eyes. "Orophin, my love, I appreciate the concern you have for your brother, but if you do not leave me to pack the rest of our gear, you shall cause the others to come back inside and will have more than me to deal with."

Orophin conceded, taking up residence slumped in the doorway as Valarda once more gathered their items. "I do not know if it is such a good thing, to let those three scoundrels influence him."

"Our nephews are better influence on him than you are."

Orophin huffed and puffed in the doorway for a bit longer, pouting as well, but his wife ignored all of this. Valarda tossed the sack to him as she left the room. "He will be fine, they will be fine. Thank the Valar we did not have children, for I would have killed you after more than a day like this one." She blew at his face in an affectionate manner, and Orophin blinked and smiled.

"Too true, my love, had I not first thrown myself into a pit of wargs upon hearing the news." He shut the door again and followed her down the hall.

"Only if you would have taken me with you," she answered.

Orophin shrugged. "Fine by me." He dangled the bag, swinging it back and forth as they headed downstairs. "You're a silly little elleth, you know that?"

"I am constantly being reminded of- wait, little?" Orophin was lobbed over the head with the blanket. "Silly, yes, elleth, of course, not little. Take it back, or I'll start calling you Orophin the Wise."

"Ai! You'll ruin my reputation, you silly uhm, medium-sized elleth? Big elleth?"

"Close your mouth, Orophin. You get into less trouble that way." Rumil was at the bottom of the steps, glancing out the main door behind him. "What's taking so long? Haldir's starting to rethink staying, said if you were going to be a while, he might just get a few things and come along."

"Oh, no, he doesn't!" Valarda pulled Orophin down the stairs, almost sending them crashing to the bottom.

Outside, two carriages were waiting. Haldir was standing beside the furthest, speaking with whoever was inside, while Nenniach conversed with those in the nearer horse-drawn coach. She approached as the three elves came from the house. "Before I could do anything about it, Haldir had helped Galadriel into one of them, and Elrond made a beeline for the other."

Orophin cursed softly, hoping only those in the immediate area had heard. The plan was to take one carriage while Celeborn, Galadriel, Elrond and Celebrian took another. "I suppose Valarda and I can ride with Nana and Ada, a whole trip with Elrond would wear me out."

"Not to mention you don't know half of what he speaks of," added Valarda in a mockingly serious tone. Orophin pretended it was well-deserved pity, nodding and bowing his head.

"Or... " Rumil shifted gaze to Orophin. "Or, we could ride in with Ada and Elrond, and the ladies could have their own carriage.

Orophin seized the opportunity, knowing how dearly he would pay later for sending his wife off with a group of ladies. "Enjoy the journey! I've been told the scenery is beautiful!" He kissed Valarda quickly before she could react and bounded off to the nearest carriage. A moment later, Celebrian was nearly pushed out of it, a sour look on her face as she made for the other carriage, evicting her father.

A finger was waggled in Rumil’s face. "I hope you understand that by your actions, you will be housing him in your room at the inn," Valarda scowled, looking expectantly to Nenniach. "Well, come then, the carriage isn't coming to us." Under her breath, she added, "To war... "

Nenniach shook her head, turning to Rumil. "I suppose I'll see you when we get there." Rumil nodded, and drew her into his arms, leaning down to speak softly in her ear.

"Don't sit next to Valarda, I hear she bites."

Nenniach giggled. "I'm not averse to biting."

"You aren't?" Rumil tugged on the tip of her ear with his teeth. "I thought you liked nips, not bites."

"I'm always open to experimentation," she murmured. Rumil kissed the spot he'd nipped, then straightened suddenly, caught off guard. He looked over Nenniach's shoulder, and she turned to look as well.

Haldir, some distance away, flushed and looked around at something on the ground. Rumil smiled at Nenniach uneasily, tilting her chin with his index finger so she faced him once again. "I think this trip is going to be good for us and great for him. Poor elf really needs this, I think." Nenniach nodded, and they parted as they kissed, but it was brief, and as Rumil walked to the carriage he would be riding in, he noticed that Haldir had still been watching out of the corner of his eye.

The horses needed no master to control them. No training was required for these steeds of Valinor, though it had been commented upon by Rumil that they lacked the personality that their mounts on Arda had. For Orophin and his many failed attempts at horse training, this was fine by him. It was late in the afternoon when the coaches pulled away from the First Homely House, leaving Haldir in the care of his three nephews.

- - -

It was ten seconds after the coaches were out of site that Elrohir and Celebdreth slid down the rope ladder of the birch tree. "Thank Elbereth! I thought they'd never leave!"

"Now that the elves are away, the elflings will play." Celebdreth looked his uncle up and down. "We're not taking him along in that." His tone was quite critical, and Haldir looked down to his feet, then over his back, to see what was the matter.

"Grey is not your color, uncle," Elrohir finally answered.

"Does that matter?"

"Most certainly."

"Why?"

Elrohir had reached him by now, and after throwing his arm around Haldir's neck, was leading him to the house. "Because we have somewhere to be this evening, and we are taking you with us. You don't expect us to leave you here all alone, now, do you?"

"When dealing with the three of you," Haldir smirked, "I never know what to expect."

"Come, Elladan said he was going to see if you were hiding anything suitable upstairs." Elrohir opened the door and led Haldir to the steps, but Elladan called for them from the parlor. They entered and found he had clothing tossed over nearly every piece of furniture.

"I brought the possibilities down here. No need to waste time going up and down the steps. We're running late as it is." He held up a few shirts, frowning at all of them before tossing them to the couch.

"Honestly, El, you're going to crease them!" scolded Elrohir, picking up Elladan's mess.

"Well, El, if you'd only help me out!" answered Elladan to Elrohir.

"Start with the pants," suggested Celebdreth, who had moved next to Haldir. He lifted one of his uncle's braids and wrinkled his brow. "Much too... march warden for where we're going. I wonder if we'd have time to put any flowers in your hair before-"

"Stop that!" Haldir slapped Celebdreth's hand away, and settled himself down in the overstuffed chair. "I dealt with enough of that from your father." Celebdreth approached again and began replaiting Haldir’s hair, drawing some from each side into a single braid down the back while leaving the rest of hang loose.

"We are going into town not into battle."

"Is there a difference?" asked Haldir.

Elrohir approached with a pair of dark blue leggings and slightly baggier suede pants that were a deep chocolate brown. "Pick one."

"I am comfortable with what I have on, thank you."

Celebdreth noiselessly pulled his long, curved knife from his side, and with a single swipe, slashed the leg of Haldir's black leggings without so much as a scratch to the former Captain before continuing the task of rebraiding his uncle’s hair. Haldir reached for the loose fabric, more impressed than upset that Celebdreth had cut straight across the seam.

Elrohir held the selections out once again. "Pick one."

"Can I not wear both?" Haldir sat up as Celebdreth finished and pointed in the direction of the second pair. They were tossed in his lap as Elrohir went back to the shirts on the couch.

Elladan brought him a pair of brown socks, tossing a pair of tan boots in front of him on the floor. "Hurry up, now, get the pants on so we can see how they look."

Reluctantly, Haldir pulled off the uniform of the Galadhrim and pulled on the suede pants and the socks. A tan colored shirt flew at him, and he pulled it on, tugging at the laces on the front and rolling the sleeves to his elbows. He retrieved the dark boots from his uniform much to the dismay of the cousins.

"Those look hideous."

"How many orcs have been killed with those? I mean, how many have died upon seeing them?"

"Everyone knows you are not a tall elf."

It was the last comment that stalled Haldir. For years beyond those he could reasonably count, he had insisted upon footwear that would increase his height. Few, save for his family, the cobblers he frequented, and Erestor knew of his plight. It was bad enough having parents and siblings who were taller than average. It was worse being an elf under six feet. The shoemaker had done an excellent job with this pair, which had lasted him over six hundred years. Carefully made, they added just over four inches to his height. "And how does everyone know I am not a tall elf?"

There was less menace in his voice than had been expected. Finally, Celebdreth spoke. "We're elves. We just... know these things. Everyone knows you are not a tall elf," he repeated, adding, "No one cares."

Haldir slid his boots on and handed the tan ones to Celebdreth. "I care," he said quietly.

- - -

Not long after, they were on their way to... well, Haldir didn't really know where. They had insisted that if he was coming with them - and he didn't have time to argue that they had insisted he come with them - he would enter their realm with one provision.

He had to be blindfolded.

After being led away from the beach, twisting and turning from one path to the next, Haldir felt the cloth being untied and lifted from his eyes. "We are here." A set of double doors lay in front of him with the words "King's Kastle" painted upon them. He didn't have time to look back and see the surroundings before the doors were opened and he was literally pushed through by Elladan.

"What type of place is this?" questioned Haldir as he followed Elrohir and Celebdreth through the door. Elladan nearly stepped on the older elf's heels as Haldir abruptly stopped. The outside of the building was deceptive, for inside the décor was soft and inviting, unlike the harsh wooden doors that led in. Taking in the dim lighting, the multitude of young ellin and ellith mingling, the many cozy corners and couches, his eyes went wide. He swung around grasping Elladan on the shoulder, his voice a low hiss that only their small party could hear. "Is this a brothel?"

"A what? Uncle, we would most definitely not take you to a brothel, even if we knew where one was," laughed Elladan, and he added quickly, "There are no brothels in Valinor. That we know of. We wouldn't go if there were. We, well, we wouldn't even know about them if there were any. But there aren't any." Elrohir rescued his brother with an unseen nudge, and all three elves smiled at Haldir.

"Dance hall. They call this a dance hall." Celebdreth made a motion around the room. Haldir took in the room once again, noting there was another passage to yet another, much large room, with stairs at either side of the entrance leading up to a balcony.

"You mean... this is for dancing," guessed Haldir.

"Yes, Uncle."

"And you dance here... for fun."

"Yes, Uncle."

"That's not all we do," mumbled Elladan when Haldir turned to look around again, but was silenced by glares from both Elrohir and Celebdreth. Elrohir persisted with a look that said, 'If you keep it up, he's going to leave.' "Come, Uncle, let's take a look in here. You'll love it. Just wait until you find out who runs this place." Elladan linked his arm with Haldir, pulling him toward the doorway.

Celebdreth and Elrohir hung back for a few moments, guarding the door more than anything in case Haldir changed his mind about spending quality time with his nephews. "You know, El, this is going to result in one of two things. Our deaths or his happiness."

Elrohir watched his brother and uncle for another moment, and then turned to Celebdreth, crossing the fingers on both of his hands hopefully. Slapping his cousin on the shoulder, Elrohir motioned with his head in the direction of the main hall and they followed the other elves who were filtering in.

Haldir was bombarded with a multitude of sights and sounds, his eyes and ears pulled in various directions. He found he had been led to the bar, a whimsical, curving counter with comfortable looking plush stools backed with birchwood. Elladan hoisted himself atop the nearest, catching the eye of one of the bartender's with a wink.

Haldir noted as she approached that her skin was dark, for an elf - lightly and perfectly tanned. Her smile and gaze were upon Elladan, though she glanced at Haldir as she approached, almost as if she was sizing up this newcomer. "Elladan, you rascal, what poor soul have you brought here now?"

"Glorcheniel, I should like to introduce you to Haldir, elf of many trades and places. Captain of Lorien, Instructor at Imladris, and former King of Greenwood."

"Ah, yes, your name is quite familiar. I wondered when I might finally meet the elf of so many of Thranduil's stories. A pleasure," the elleth said, giving Haldir a nod.

"Likewise," agreed Haldir. Pause – two – three: "You know Thranduil?"

"I know him well. Very well," she admitted, fixing drinks for Elladan, and his brother and cousin, who now joined them. "I suppose they neglected to tell you this is his establishment."

"Really?" Haldir took another look around, able to see the similarities between the building and the caves of Greenwood. He wondered what had compelled the great King of Greenwood to build a glorified inn. Rather aware of the fact his father was often out drinking with Thranduil, it occurred to him that this might be the exact location they came to. "It's rather nice."

"Care for a drink?" asked Glorcheniel, sliding the others across the counter.

"Just water or juice or something, thank you," Haldir said, memories of a recent episode still fresh in his mind.

Glorcheniel frowned and reached under the counter for a glass. "All right, then. But you needn't worry, we've got rooms upstairs if you get drunk." She smiled at him teasingly. "And we've got rooms downstairs in the caves if you-"

"-get really drunk," finished Elrohir hastily, lifting the glass of orange juice away from Glorcheniel and setting it down in front of Haldir. "Will we find you on the dance floor later, my Golden Goddess?" Both he and Elladan gave her their most winning smiles and she grinned back.

- - -

"Well, you won't find me downstairs in the caves, that's for sure."

"Every moment before we see you next is another lost without you, elleth of the sun." Elladan took up her hand and placed a gentle kiss upon her palm. "Am I right to think there is an event this evening?"

"Aye," answered Glorcheniel. "Something of a surprise, a new game invented."

"We can hardly wait," grinned Elrohir.

"You shall have to, though." Glorcheniel looked down the bar, which was rapidly becoming crowded. "You'll have to excuse me now. Haldir, it was a pleasure."

Haldir nodded, expecting nothing more than a smile back. What he did not expect was for the elleth behind the counter to lean over, slide her hand into his hair, and kiss him. His eyes went wide during the entire incident, and he almost lost control of the drink in his hand. She released her hold, pecked him on the cheek, and left for the other end of the bar without another word.

"She's... very... friendly... " Haldir finally managed, eyes following her as she made the rounds.

"Mmmhmm." Celebdreth was busily scanning the crowd in the hall.

"Does she always do that?" Haldir asked.

"Yeah, she's the bartender, it's her job. She gets everyone drinks," answered Elladan, deadpan.

Haldir rolled his eyes. "No, the kissing."

"Oh, just the elves she likes." Elladan sipped his glass of wine. "She seems to like you."

"I got that impression. I also got the impression she is with someone." He looked to the twins. "Or someones."

"Really, no one here is 'with' anyone. That's the beauty of it. We're all just a bunch of lonely souls, not really looking for anyone, but needing someone." Haldir didn't say anything, and Elrohir continued. "It's a lovely place to meet lovely elves. The atmosphere is friendly, everyone is happy, no one claims anyone, bonds with anyone. No pressure. No heartache."

"No kidding." Haldir watched ellin and ellith greet each other, talk at the bar, and dance on the floor, surprised at how relaxed and informal everything was. "Not at all how things were when I was your age."

"When you were our age - barely over a hundred years ago," Elladan smiled, "there was all kinds of darkness, and a war over a stupid magic ring, and a battle that near claimed your life. Last thing on your mind was passing time with a pretty young elleth."

"Pretty young ellith were in short supply back then in Lorien," said Celebdreth. "I know, I was looking."

Elladan waved the comment off. "Point is, times have changed. This is a new age, Uncle. The age of the elves returned to Valinor. Embrace it."

"I say embrace the ellith, not the age," laughed Celebdreth as he stood. A pair of ellith were approaching from across the room, joking with one another as they lazily walked. Celebdreth held out an arm to one, and then the other. "Good evening, darlings." Haldir had a hard time swallowing his drink as his nephew turned to introduce to him, "Caliel, and Isilwen Arcamenel." Both of them looked upon Haldir with piercing green eyes, dark hair accentuating the color all the more. Haldir put his drink firmly down on the counter, nodding slowly in greeting to each of them.

Isilwen slid near to Celebdreth, and he protectively curved an arm around her waist. Caliel stepped closer, and Haldir realized the vulnerable position he had placed himself in as she reached forward and slid the loose cord from the front of his shirt between her fingers. "So you are the captain who led the elven forces in the very last alliance of men and elves?" Haldir did little more than nod meekly. "How does it happen that such a brave warrior did not come to visit the King's Kastle earlier?"

"He hasn't been in Valinor very long," answered Elrohir for Haldir.

Caliel wrapped the cord around her finger, bringing herself closer and closer to the tongue-tied elf. "Welcome to Valinor, brave warrior." He was kissed a second time that night, not for as long as Glorcheniel had held him captive, but there was something a bit more this time. This was no mere greeting – this was a proposition. She lingered, hovering a moment, waiting for something in return. Haldir did not move, and Caliel drew back. "And welcome to the King's Kastle."

"Thank you," he managed, his voice sounding slightly confused.

"I hope we'll get to see more of you around." Her green eyes slowly drifted down and then all the way back up to meet his again. Still, Haldir did not move. Caliel took Celebdreth's free arm and the trio walked out to the dance floor. Haldir sipped his juice, spitting it back into his glass when he watched what occurred next.

"He just... he wasn't raised that way!" Haldir pointed none too discreetly in the direction of Celebdreth, whose hands had slid down from each of the elleth's waists, firmly grasping something else. Haldir crossed his arms, realizing his pointing was probably drawing more attention to it than he wished. "Rumil would have a royal fit if he saw that!"

"Then it is a good thing Uncle Rumil is not here," Elrohir said, calmly swirling the contents of his glass.

Haldir's jaw flapped a bit, but nothing came out. He turned away from the dance floor, staring at the counter. "That's very... he shouldn't... he's with two ellith!"

"Funny, I know someone else who didn't just touch two ellith this evening, but kissed two ellith. Who could that be...?" Elladan grinned slyly at Haldir.

"No, they kissed me. They initiated it," defended Haldir, turning red as he finished his drink.

"I didn't see you pull back from them in horror. Or run away screaming." Elladan flagged another bartender over. "Just relax. Celebdreth has a particular... taste... and he couldn't say no to either of them."

"The dark hair? The green eyes? The forward nature?" Haldir pushed his empty glass away.

"You have the first two," Elrohir said. "Although the last part holds true only for Caliel. Isilwen, she's the opposite. Sweet and shy to Caliel’s adventurous flair."

"Caliel drank us all under the table once," laughed Elladan. "Little did we know, we found out later that she set it up with Thranduil to have glasses of water sent to her instead."

Haldir looked again around the room. "Is Thranduil here somewhere?"

Elladan shook his head. "Likely not. He may come to announce the competition, but he tends to stay behind the scenes." The bartender began to refill their drinks, and slid an extra one onto the counter for Haldir.

"From the lady near the doors," he explained, and was gone again. Haldir looked at the fizzing blue drink with some trepidation, then turned to look to the doorway. Perched on a stool, the auburn-haired elleth held her drink coyly, swirling it in the glass. It changed hue from red, to orange, and then gold. A wink, a smile, and Haldir turned away, blushing.

"You poor thing, I fear you'll turn red permanently if any of them tries to lure you into the caves," chuckled Elladan.

"Why? What is in the caves?" Haldir looked up to see Elrohir stamping on Elladan's foot. "Tell me what is in the caves."

"Your attention please!" The music trickled off into nothingness and a dark haired elleth on the musician's platform waved her feathered hat above her head to attain the gaze of the crowd. "This evening, for your enjoyment, we are going to present for the first time ever a new game on the back patio. It has been entitled 'Hide and Go Elf'." She waited for the talk between members to die down before continuing. "We remind you that, as always, multiple rounds of the game will be played, and everyone who wants to play will have a chance to participate. The first ten ellin and ellith to volunteer shall go first and should meet directly outside the exit by the patio. Spectators, to the benches! As always, thank you for coming to the King's Kastle!"

"You heard her, let's go!" With one twin on each side, Haldir found himself lifted from his seat and dragged outside to the patio. Numerous elves were lining the benches that were raised on either side of the tall stacks of hay bales that had been placed in the center of the patio to create a giant maze. The elleth who had made the announcement inside was handing out a different colored length of fabric to each of the ellin along with a single rose. When she reached the twins and Haldir she frowned. "Only two spots left."

"We come as a pair!" reminded Elladan. Instead of tying the pale green strip on his upper arm like the rest of the elves had, he used it to tie his right hand to Elrohir's left.

"Fine, but only one rose. We have to have enough to go around." She handed Haldir the last strip of fabric, a silvery grey piece.

Elladan smirked as the elleth walked away. "Perhaps grey is your color."

"Here are the rules, boys!" The elleth had her hat back on, and the feathers fanned out in the light wind. "On the other side of this maze are ten ellith. Each one has to find one of you, whoever matches the color they have. You don't know what color they have, and that is what makes everything all the more interesting. Once the correct elleth finds you, and proves it, you may present her with the rose however you like. There is a limit of five minutes. If the elleth cannot find you, you win. But I think you will all agree this is a game better lost." The elves nodded and laughed in agreement.

"What happens when we lose?" Haldir whispered to Elrohir.

"The elleth claims a forfeit," Elrohir whispered back.

"A forfeit? What kind of forfeit?"

Elladan grins. "Anything she wants. Anything you're willing to let her have."

A few moments later, twenty excited elves entered the maze with one apprehensive old elf.

Four minutes and fifty seconds later, after roaming aimlessly through the paths, Haldir noticed the crowd watching had become quite subdued. Twice, he had been falsely captured, each time completely at a loss of what to say to the giggling ellith who eventually let him go. Both times he had become embarrassed beyond measure, and once alone again took to cursing under his breath in Dwarvish. After the first minute, he noted that the others in the maze, including the twins, had taken to avoiding him.

In his mind, he counted back the number of times he had heard the crowd raise voice in frenzied uproar, and realized he was left in the maze with the last elleth. 'I should have stayed home. I should have stayed home. I should have-' His thoughts were interrupted as a pair of hands slid around his head to cover his eyes. "I did not expect to see you again so soon."

Haldir swallowed audibly, trying to place the voice. It wasn't Glorcheniel, whom he'd met at the bar, or Celebdreth's aggressive friend Caliel. Perhaps the elleth from across the bar, then, for he hadn't heard her speak. As he turned, holding out the rose, he was surprised to find Isilwen standing there, watching him intently with emerald eyes. "I see you did not expect to see me so soon again either." Isilwen slid the rose from Haldir’s fingers, and he let his hands drop to his sides. Bring the flower closer to her, she breathed in the scent deeply and smiled from behind the stem.

Lost again for words, Haldir shook his head. His hands fidgeted at his sides, and now even more aware of the watching crowd, he felt his face flush, the tips of his ears he was sure had turned as red as the rose Isilwen held. He tried again to speak, but Isilwen let the rose dip forward, petals against his lips. "Thank you for the game. And the rose. And... this." The soft petals of the flower slid down to his chin, soft lips replacing them. The rose continued its descent, gliding down Haldir's throat. Then it pulled away, and Isilwen left, leaving Haldir to find his way out of the maze.

- - -

Back at the bar, Haldir had switched to liquor. His head rested in his hands. "I just cannot do this. I cannot speak to them. It isn't that I do not want to, I just can't."

"We were noticing a pattern on that," admitted Elrohir. His eyes had taken to scanning the balcony for an elleth that was having so little fun she would be willing to sit and talk with an elf who apparently had forgotten how to communicate with members of the fairer sex.

Elladan was doing the same on the ground level, taking inventory of those at the seats at the bar. Noticing one particular elleth near the doors, Elladan’s face lit up. "Isn't that the one who sent you that fluffy blue thing earlier?"

Haldir looked up, blushing furiously when he caught her intense sapphire gaze. "That would be her."

"Go ask her to dance," advised Elladan. "She has warmed that stool long enough this evening."

"You go ask her to dance," grumped Haldir. "All that comes out when I try to say anything to them is nothing."

Elrohir sighed finished his drink, and pulled Haldir from his stool. "Come on. I shall introduce you. And the two of you will dance."

"I don't know, Elrohir, I-"

"The two of you will dance," repeated Elrohir. "I am introducing you, and you will thank me for it. Oh, and Elladan has the other boots in a bag behind the counter, in case."

"In case? In case what?"

Elrohir grinned. Moments later, he smiled politely to the elleth. "Mirime, it is lovely to find you here this evening. I wanted to introduce Haldir to you. I think you may have noticed him already." Mirime nodded as Elrohir continued. "He had wanted to ask you to dance, but since you've sat here most of the night, we were thinking perhaps you were waiting to meet someone." Mirime shook her head.

"I would love to dance with you, Haldir." Mirime hopped off the stool, and Haldir blinked. And smiled. And excused himself for a moment.

"Elladan!" Haldir ran up to his nephew, grasping him on the shoulder. "Elladan, I need the boots."

"Isn't it lucky that I brought them," he grinned, motioned over Glorcheniel, who came over and tossed Elladan his sack. Haldir took note that she now had a pale green silken cloth tied in her hair. Elladan grinned at Haldir’s realization and tossed him the tan boots. Haldir quickly exchanged his footwear. "Suppose you wish now that you would have allowed Celebdreth to weave a few flowers in your hair."

"Never!" Haldir grinned, dumping the black boots into Elladan's bag before passing it back to the younger elf.

Taking a deep breath, Haldir marched himself back to the other end of the bar. To his extreme surprise, not a single elf stared at him as he walked, noticeably shorter than he had been when he arrived. Holding a hand out to the short dark-haired elleth, he smiled. "Shall we dance?"

Across the floor they glided, turned, and twisted. Getting to know each other without a single spoken word, they retired as the night sky brought a greater darkness to the candlelit hall. In the first room, they found an unoccupied corner in which to sit and talk. But few words were spoken until Mirime pulled away reluctantly. "I have to go. My sister has appointments in the morning and we shared a horse here."

A thought in the back of Haldir's mind almost launched itself forward, almost asked her to spend the night with him in one of the chambers upstairs. Fear held him back, and he nodded. "Should I help you find her, or... ?"

Mirime shook her head. "Thank you, but I would rather you stay here. So I can sneak another look at you before I go." She nuzzled her head under his chin. "You look so much more peaceful this way than you did in the bar."

"It is difficult not to be relaxed lying across such a comfortable couch with such a lovely elleth." He placed a kiss on the top of her head and she sighed.

"If I don't go now, I'll never leave." To Haldir's disappointment, she detangled herself from him and stood up. "Don't move, not until I go through that door," she said, pointing to the entryway. He nodded, and she turned to go.

His hand flew to hers on impulse, and he pulled her back, embracing her. Somehow he knew if he kissed her again, he wouldn't be able to stop. He wished he had something more to give her before she departed, and pulled the silver fabric off of his arm. "Until next time." He let go, placing the strip into her hand.

"Until then." She took a few steps away. "Remember, stay there until I go."

Haldir stayed, waiting until Mirime and her sister were at the door. Mirime turned, blew him a kiss on the way out, and left quickly.

Deciding it was about time to round up the rest of the family and go home, Haldir went back to the bar. Elladan was on one stool with Glorcheniel in his lap, Elrohir next to him, massaging her feet. The three were talking animatedly about the evening, and Haldir noted the three looked quite tired and likely had danced the night away. "Where is Celebdreth? We should be leaving soon."

Elrohir's eyes widened as he looked at Elladan, but all Haldir saw was Elladan's calm expression. "I think I might have seen him on the patio. Elrohir, perhaps you would be good enough to check and see if you might find him." Elrohir jumped from the stool and skidded from the room, though not to the patio. "If you want to continue to sit in the front room, we shall retrieve you when we are assembled and ready to go."

Haldir nodded, slightly suspicious, but said nothing as he went back into the waiting room, back to the couch he had shared with Mirime. Closing his eyes, he wondered if it would be such a bad thing to fall asleep right now, except that he did not want to leave the First Homely House entirely unguarded through the night. Even with his eyes closed, he felt the presence of two elves walking past. They paused, and Haldir wondered if he should alert them that he was indeed awake. They continued by, and soon after, he began to hear them speaking not far away.

"So that is her son. He's a little short, I think."

"You think everyone is short, my brother."

"Well, this time I mean it. But you can clearly tell he's her son."

"Rumor has it he's having visions."

Haldir sat up straight, eyes blinking open. At one end of the room, over the couches and benches, he saw the flicker of firelight peeking out around the furniture. He did not sense anyone else in the room, and became highly suspicious that he was the topic of discussion.

"As well he should be, as well he should be. Does not need the mirror to do it, either. At least, that is what I hear."

Haldir waited for more of the conversation, but when none came, he got up and began to wander through the room, turning corners here and there to find the elves that had been talking. About him, he was certain now.

Lounging near a small fireplace, two elves, ancient as any elf, sat gazing into the flames. "Pardon me, I could not help but overhear-"

"Of course you couldn't - gets that from the father," replied one of them.

Sitting down between them on the floor, Haldir said, "I don't think we've met. I'm Haldir."

"Yes, you are," confirmed the other as if there was any doubt.

It was silent for some time, and Haldir was content to stare at the fire as well. "I don't believe I've had the pleasure-" he finally began, trying his best to be polite.

The elf shook his head. "We have, but you have not. Elmo is my name. On your opposite side, my younger brother, Olwe."

Haldir gawked, but it was a reverent sort of gawking. "Olwe and Elmo? In the Elmo and Olwe who were in the beginning, with their brother Thingol? ‘And there they awoke, the elder of old, by the waters of Cuivienen.’ You are two of those who came at the first?"

"We must come into this place more often," smiled Elmo to Olwe. "And you told me that elves here wouldn't know their history."

"He spent time among elders, that is clear. Who taught you your history, lad?"

"Much I read in books, and from tales I was told. My friend and mentor, Erestor, taught me the basics."

Elmo chuckled. "Listen to that, Olwe, little Erestor has friends."

"A friend, that we know of," Olwe corrected with a wink.

"Master Erestor is a proud and noble elf," defended Haldir, unable to see why these elves would so ridicule the Noldo. "I see not the humor in your statements."

"A story for another day. So he told you of the awakening. That is good. But you do not know the whole of the story of us and of our brother, Thingol. Upon waking, he was distraught to find he had no brother. He begged the Valar give him a brother, and so they did." Olwe made a motion to Elmo.

"When the second elf awoke, he and Thingol were happy for some time. It was not long, however, that they came to realize that though one brother was sufficient, two would bring greater joy. They began to pray, and a third elf awoke."

"Eventually," continued Olwe, "these elves went down separate paths, each of them having families of their own. The middle brother saw his son marry, and later, two grandsons were born. The youngest brother saw his daughter marry, and she then had with her husband five children-"

"Five children?" Haldir stopped them. That sounded familiar...

"Five children." Olwe repeated. "The youngest of which was a fair maiden, tall and strong, spirited like her brothers. In love she fell with the youngest grandson of the middle brother, and was named by him in one of the truest acts of love ever known."

Haldir was very silent until they paused. "Then... what you mean to tell me..."

"I told you your granddaughter could not be relied upon to relay such important information," scolded Elmo.

Olwe frowned. "Of course. Blame it on her. As if your grandson was too busy to give his children a lesson on genealogy."

That is when Haldir decided he had had too much to drink, for in his mind, he suddenly made all of the connections. "I think I should go now."

"Please, Haldir, you need not worry. You act as if it is some scandal," Olwe laughed. "Well, I suppose it is," he said after a moment. But it's too late to worry about now. I thought at first you had known, however, better to know it from your Great-Grandfathers than some Maia on the street."

Elmo nodded in agreement. "Our family tree is one of Valinor’s greatest jokes. Think of how painful it would have been for you to make the discovery over a drink at the bar."

"Well... thank you for that. And it is so good to have met you both." he shook each of their hands before leaving for the dance hall, numb from what he had learned. Looking back over his shoulder, he watched the pair of elves exit the building. He chewed his lip as he strode up to his nephews, sitting at the bar with Caliel and Isilwen as Glorcheniel stowed bottles of liquor beneath the counter.

"Let us go. Now," he announced. Hastily, the trio bid goodnight to the confused ellith. Neither the twins nor Celebdreth made complaint, instead following Haldir to the front entrance, where carriages and horses awaited those needing rides back home. "Let's take a carriage instead of walking." None objected as they climbed into one of the coaches and closed the door.

Haldir leaned back into his seat, looking perhaps more tired and stressed than he had when they arrived. "Uncle, what ails you?" asked Celebdreth.

"Nothing. I only spoke with some elves about another elf named Thingol."

"You mean Great-great-great-grandfather Thingol?" questioned Elrohir. Haldir sat up from his seat abruptly, causing the other elves to flinch.

"Did Great-great-great-grandfather Thingol have two brothers?"

"Yeah, I think he did. Olme and Elwe or something," Elladan guessed sleepily.

"Elmo and Olwe."

"Yes! Exactly!"

Haldir rubbed his head. This was going to be an even longer night.
Climbing the Family Tree by Zhie
Haldir tapped the excess ink from the quill and placed it into the tray on Rumil's desk. Carefully he resealed the jar of ink and shook the paper that had been resting on the drawing table. The indigo ink stood out in stark contrast to the cream colored parchment he had been working on these past few weeks. Satisfied that the ink was dry enough, he rolled the parchment, tucked it under his arm, and hastily blew out the candles and retrieved the books he had been using.

The sound of hooves had alerted him to the fact that the rest of the family had returned from their vacation. He had expected them back soon, but for some reason thought they would return during the daylight hours. Constantly he had to remind himself that this was Valinor, a place where one need not worry at what time one traveled.

Upstairs he went, banging on the door to the ‘Bachelor Pad', the rooms shared by his three nephews, as he went by to his own suite of rooms. Depositing his scroll safely under his pillow to be guarded by Nibbles, the purple plush rabbit, he returned to the Bachelor Pad and banged on the door again.

"Uncle, it is either too late or too early to speak to you now."

"They have come back!"

A number of sounds could be heard from within the rooms, most of them panicked. Celebdreth wrenched the door open, fumbling to retie his sleeping pants properly. "Elladan refuses to get up. Elrohir is trying to persuade him to." Behind the youngest, Haldir heard what sounded like someone lifting up a bed and tipping it over. Sighing and rubbing his temples, two matched voices rose up. Shaking his head, he headed down the steps with Celebdreth following.

One stop more, to the main parlor. Haldir replaced the volumes of history where they had been found. When he reached the hallway again, he found Celebdreth and a very disgruntled Elladan sitting on the stairs. "Where is your brother?" asked the former march warden.

Elladan pointed above his head. "Still upstairs," he yawned. "Decided it was better not to show them tonight."

Haldir frowned, but nodded. "This isn't quite how I expected things to play out," he said, opening the front door. "Everybody ready?" The other two elves nodded, and they exited, the crisp evening air causing Elladan to shiver slightly. Haldir reached up to smooth down Celebdreth's tangled mass of hair. Barefooted, it was obvious to see Haldir was shorter than most elves, and over the past weeks he had become used to the difference in height. The three of them stood on the porch of the First Homely House until the carriages pulled up in front and stopped.

Haldir, Elladan, and Celebdreth waited until the coaches had been emptied, then, unable to contain themselves, they yelled, "Surprise!" Elladan swung his arms to the southern side of the house, where the addition stood, completely finished.

Elrond, like the others, blinked in surprise. He walked across the lawn past the patio to the doors that matched those on the first half of the First Homely House. "It is done." He looked to Elladan. "The interior?"

Elladan shrugged. "We had to make a few educated guesses about things, but the majority of it was finished already. Shall we give you a tour, or are you all too tired from your journey?"

"Though I had planned upon sleep, I will gladly look at the work you have done." Elrond looked around. "Where is Elrohir?"

"Not feeling well," Elladan said quickly, moving to open the doors. "Now, tell us what you think. And please, be honest." Holding the door open, Elladan waited until everyone was in the new part of the First Homely House before walking from room to room, describing the work that had been done.

"Truly, you have all outdone yourselves." Elrond sat down on a long padded bench that spanned the North side of the new parlor. "Who is responsible for the furniture?" Celebdreth raised his hand, somewhat shyly. "It is the work of a master. I have no doubt your skills in woodcarving were passed from your uncle."

Orophin shrugged. "I taught him a thing or two. An elf has to be able to do something if he can't sing or play the flute."

"We never said you couldn't sing," pointed out Rumil. "We just said you couldn't sing well."

"Same difference. I suppose our dear brother was the mastermind behind getting all of this done before our return?" Orophin looked to Haldir, who shook his head.

"Nay, it was Elrohir who suggested it, and Elrohir who was in charge," admitted Haldir. "I served as master room painter and floor sweeper." This elicited laughter from most, though someone seemed to be missing. "Where is Celebrian?" wondered Haldir aloud.

Elrond looked up, somewhat in alarm. Ever since coming to Valinor, he had been protective of his dear Celebrian, and had insisted, unknown to his wife, that he or one of her brothers know her whereabouts at all times. "In the other room perhaps? Celebrian!" he called, but no answer was received. Worry etched his face, and he stood and went to the door. "Celebrian!"

At first there was nothing, but the response came in the form of a surprised yelp from the other half of the house. Elrond headed to the front doors, Haldir and Celeborn following close behind. "I do not think she is in any danger, Elrond," Haldir told him as they left the Second Homely House to enter the first.

Elrond wasn't listening. "Damn the plans and my not putting a walkway between the first floors. What a nuisance this will be." He reached the doors of the First Homely House, but they flew open before he could reach the handle. Celebrian grabbed for Elrond, tugging at his sleeve. "You have to come upstairs. Now."

"Why? What is the matter?" Elrond drew himself nearer to Celebrian, his arms holding her protectively.

"Well, it isn't a balrog or anything like that." The three elves trembled a bit at the name of the beast, even Celeborn, who had not thought of such evil since arriving here. "It is your son. Come see what he has done."

Elrond looked suspiciously at his brother-in-law. "Am I not going to be pleased about something?"

Haldir shifted his feet, looking to the ground like an elfling about to be scolded. "I didn't encourage him, nor did I discourage him. I didn't think it my place."

"If he has bonded while we were away... " Elrond paused. "Actually, if he has bonded, I suppose that would be just wonderful, considering I kept pushing them both to do so while we lived in Imladris."

"He has not bound himself, Elrond. Not to my knowledge, at the least," answered Haldir, eyes still cast down.

"Nay, it is much worse than bonding." Celebrian pulled Elrond into the house and up the stairs. "It will not take long to see, either."

Elrond opened his mouth to guess something else, but decided voicing concerns would only give anyone listening other ideas. This would be especially bad if Elrohir was the one listening, if he indeed had done something displeasing.

"It is not like Elrohir," he commented as they climbed to the third story. "Elladan, most certainly. But if Elrohir does something, it is likely Elladan was a coconspirator."

"For the record," Haldir added, "Elladan was greatly against... well... " Elrond had reached the door of the Bachelor Pad and knocked on it with a firm but gentle tap.

"Go away, Ada. I do not want you to laugh at me, too."

Elrond eyed his wife suspiciously. "After the initial shock, well... " Celebrian rapped her knuckles on the door. "Elrohir! Open this door right now."

A heavy sigh came from the other side, and Elrohir stood up. He had been sitting with his back against the door, and now opened it barely more than a crack. "Please go away?" he begged.

"Elrohir, I will enter this room." Elrond let one hand wander to the doorknob while he continued to speak. "I will know what is happening in my house. I promise to you that I shall try my hardest not to laugh."

"But you still may laugh."

"I still may laugh," admitted Elrond. "Until you allow me entrance, we shall not know."

Elrohir conceded, stepping back into the room. Elrond pushed the door in, but the room inside was too dark to see anything clearly. "Please, step out into the hall where there is more light." Elrohir did as asked, and Celebrian covered her mouth politely, shoulders shaking in silent laughter.

Elrohir fidgeted, wringing his hands while he met his father's gaze. Elrond lifted a hand to cup his son's chin, and turned Elrohir's head from one side to the other. "Notice I am not laughing," he told Elrohir, and his son relaxed.

"Are you…upset?" questioned Elrohir.

"Nay." Elrond let go of Elrohir. "I am only a little surprised your brother did not follow suit."

"We may be twins, Ada, but we are still individuals." Elrohir shrugged. "He has no interest in his heritage from men. I suppose if I hadn't been so close to him, I might have stayed behind instead of sailing." He bit his lip upon this revelation, and his mother stopped smiling.

Elrond merely nodded. "We are all assembled in the other parlor. I do not know how long we shall be awake, but we would certainly appreciate your company."

Elrohir shook his head. "I am long overdue for a full night of sleep. But I would be most interested in speaking with you in the morning." His voice hinted that this would not be friendly chatter over the morning meal, but a serious talk in his father's library. Elrond nodded, and embraced his son. Elrohir smiled. "I am glad to see you again, Ada. And, Nana, you too," he added, reaching one hand over to his mother, still hugging Elrond.

"So you are going to…keep it." Celebrian lifted her hand up, reaching for Elrohir's face, but drew back. "Hasn't anyone... said anything about it."

"They have asked, but no one has been rude, if that is what you mean. I wouldn't care if they were, either," Elrohir said as he stepped back from his father.

Celebrian nodded, stepped forward and kissed Elrohir on his forehead. "I'm sorry I laughed at you, little star, I just couldn't help it. I have never seen sduch a young elf with a beard before. I have to ask you what caused you to think to do this."

"I am tired, after three thousand years, of shaving every morning. Keeping up appearances as an elf, it becomes tiring, does it not, Ada?" Elrohir looked at his father.

"I suppose it isn't the highlight of my day," admitted Elrond, "but it is part of who I am. A reminder, I suppose, of the choice I was given, of the generosity of the Valar to allow one who might have remained mortal the chance to be counted among the elves."

"That isn't all, though. I was always a little jealous of Estel, and the other rangers. When we would travel, Elladan and I were often mistaken for teen-aged boys instead of old warriors. We looked to be children, yet we knew their ancestors. Plus," and here Elrohir blushed, "Estel seemed to be more popular with women because of it, they really seemed to like it a lot."

Elrond raised a brow, his question clear to Elrohir. "Oh, no, Ada, he never would have done anything he shouldn't. He never did. If he had wanted, the opportunity was there." The eyebrow rose higher. "But I told you he did not. Would I have allowed my sister to marry a man unworthy of her?" This seemed to satisfy Elrond, and the eyebrow retreated.

"I wish I could grow a beard." The conversation turned as Celeborn cleared his throat. "I always liked Mithrandir's," he commented wistfully. "Gives him that sort of wise look. It is difficult being 'Celeborn the Wise' when you look barely a day over five hundred."

None remarked upon this, and Celeborn continued. "Once I remember seeing Mithrandir stroking the hair on his chin as he contemplated things. I began to think that that might be how he got it to grow." Celeborn demonstrated the motion, smiling ruefully. "I spent days when in private trying impossibly to grow one, and by the end of the week, the skin on my face was unbearably raw. Galadriel laughed for years to come, and I still have not fully forgiven myself for such a silly thing." The other elves chuckled, and Celeborn pressed a bit further, "'Tis a shame, for Galadriel admitted to me once how greatly fond she is of facial hair on men."

"As opposed to... facial hair on women?" wondered Celebrian.

"So that is why she was fond of the dwarf... " mused Haldir.

Elrond took the opportunity to close the subject, lest he discover anything more of his in-laws he need not know. "There, Elrohir, you see, your Grandmother will be thrilled to see what you have done. And now, the journey was long, and I wish to relax before I retire. Good night, Elrohir." Father and son embraced again, and Elrond led the party back to the Second Homely House.

Haldir made a slight detour, retrieving his scroll from earlier, before joining them in the parlor. On his way, he passed Elladan and Celebdreth heading back to their rooms in an attempt to sleep once again.

Everyone was lazily admiring the room as Haldir entered, some sitting and some lounging, and Orophin sprawled on the floor. There were no tables in this room, much of the design having been stolen from the Hall of Fire. Haldir took up a space on the floor next to Orophin. "It is wonderful having everyone back."

"Were the twins and my son really that bad?" asked Nenniach. Haldir smiled and shook his head.

"It is not that I was discontent with my nephews, it is that I missed the rest of you. What news from the cities beyond?" Haldir fiddled with the scroll, turning it in his hands.

"Nothing that cannot wait." Galadriel was leaning back on one of the couches, Celeborn beside her. Haldir noted that although one who knew her well would have determined she was pregnant before the trip, anyone who saw her now would be fairly certain that she was. "What item of interest do you bring to show us?"

Haldir rolled the paper back and forth upon the ground. "I met someone while you were away." Everyone was focused on him now, and he blushed at the number of grins sent in his direction. "No, not that. It was two elves that I met, though there was an elleth... but that isn't what this is about," he added quickly, unrolling the parchment. He spread it out on the floor so that it was visible to all in the room. "Did anyone else know about this?"

Displayed on the sheet, in the hand of someone not steady with a quill, was an incomplete family tree. While his siblings and in-laws moved in closer, tracing from their names to the names of others, his parents sat calmly on the couch. "I am sure that many know of this, though of those in this room, only your mother and I, and perhaps Elrond, knew the full extent of things." Celeborn leaned forward, specifically addressing Haldir. "What would you have me say? That I was ignorant that I had fallen in love with my second cousin? And what reason would you have me give for my actions? We are not like men, we do not multiply as fast or in such great numbers. And in the end, an elf has little choice in the matter once he has found the other half of his soul." He sat back again, sliding an arm around his wife.

"Do not think we have deceived you in any way, Haldir," offered Galadriel. "Elves do not follow the rules set down by men. We follow our hearts."

"Shoot, Clebri, look!" Orophin drew his finger across the sheet. "You and I could have had a future together, we're only third cousins." Both Celebrian and Elrond found pillows to throw at Orophin. Valarda opted for tugging on one of his braids.

"And look!" he continued, seemingly not getting the hint. "The way this reads, Haldir, Arwen was your first cousin three times removed, or your third cousin twice removed, depending on how you look at things. Either way, I think you might have been able to make a case on that."

Haldir narrowed his eyes at Orophin. "I didn't do this so that you could mock me."

"I am not mocking you!" Orophin said, looking up in shock. "I am attempting to justify things. Ada," Orophin caught Celeborn off guard, "if Haldir had come to you and said, ‘I am going to court my third cousin', would you have had issue with that?"

"I don't know, Orophin. Go ask your mother."

"Nana." Orophin sat up from his position on the floor. "If Haldir-"

"Ask your sister, it is her daughter," Galadriel suggested. Haldir had crossed his arms and was glaring menacingly at his younger brother.

Orophin huffed, but addressed Celebrian. "Dear sister, if our brother were to-"

Celebrian held up her hand to stop him. "I am not giving you an answer to that."

"Rumil." Orophin cleared his throat while his younger brother gave the appearance of a deer caught at the business end of an arrow. "If Haldir came to you and said, ‘I think I am in love with my third cousin', how would you have reacted?"

Rumil gave the question thought for some time. "Well, you're my favorite brother... " he said, looking to Orophin. Haldir frowned, as Rumil continued. "And you're my favorite cousin... " Rumil leapt up from his chair as Haldir jumped up, the youngest taking refuge behind Celebrian.

"What am I, then?" she asked, pouting.

"You are my favorite sister," he answered, reaching his arms around to embrace her. "And my favorite third cousin, and second uncle, and whatever else you might turn out to be." He stumbled away as Celebrian made a swipe for him, and swiftly made exit, chased by Celebrian and Haldir.
31 Coire by Zhie
When Haldir awoke, he couldn’t breathe. His eyes were open wide, and his fist curled into the sheets. In the next moment he gasped for air, tasting the bitterness of his own tears. Eyes still open; he refused to blink though they burned. He would not let the nightmare come to him again.

But it was no dream.

Screams came from down the hall. A male voice, in great agony. Haldir pulled the covers over his head, pressing one ear into his pillows and a hand over the other, trying in vain to drown out the tortured cries of Elrond. His other hand reached for something of comfort, the rabbit beside him, and he drew it under the covers, waiting for the screaming to subside.

Elrohir didn’t do much more than pull his shirt from the day before over his head before following his brother and cousin from their rooms into the hall. They paused, knowing well where the sounds came from, unsure of how to proceed. "El, go next door and find Grandpapa and Grandmother. Celebdreth, see if your parents are awake." Elrohir waited for them to maneuver around him to the stairway, and took a deep breath before knocking on the door to his parents’ room. "Ada? Nana?" On the other side of the door, he could hear sobbing, mingled with mournful wails. His own heart sank as he began to realize what had happened.

When Elladan and Celebdreth returned with the rest of the household, they found Elrohir sitting on the floor, one hand placed against the door while he wept into the other. Elladan crouched down, pulling Elrohir against him, looking at the others with extreme concern.

"Come, Elladan, take your brother to your rooms. There is nothing you can do at the moment, and I do not wish you to see this." Celeborn’s words were commanding, and both he and Celebdreth assisted Elrohir in standing and getting back to their rooms. Celeborn followed them, closing the door once his grandsons were inside. He turned to look at his children in the hallway. "Neither can the rest of you help, not right now. In the morning, you will be needed." The four elves nodded sadly, though they reassembled in the parlor instead of their rooms.

Celeborn frowned deeply. "Haldir was not among them. Do you think he may still be asleep?"

Galadriel shook her head. "But first, there are more important matters." Her hand turned the knob slowly, and carefully she opened the door to the chambers shared by Elrond and Celebrian.

Elrond had backed himself into a corner, drawn his knees, and rested his bowed head upon them. Celebrian had done her best to wrap her arms around her grieving husband, and now looked up at her mother, unsure of what to do now. Though the screaming had all but stopped, Elrond still whimpered sorrowfully as Celebrian clung to him.

Galadriel approached him, still graceful despite the gained weight. She knelt down to face Elrond, smoothing back his hair. She did not offer him any words to lift his pain, nor did she attempt to cast a spell to lull him to sleep. Feeling the presence of another close by, she watched as Celeborn positioned himself on the side of Elrond opposite his daughter. Together they sat in silence as Elrond grieved.

- - -

Elrohir was in much the same position as his father, sitting on his bed and rocking slightly. He had wanted to go to his father, but his brother and cousin had prevented him from leaving the room. And so he sat - tired, upset, angry, and confused - staring out the window at some far-off point in the distance.

"El, please, listen to Grandpapa’s words. There is nothing to be done now." Elladan placed a hand on Elrohir’s shoulder, but it was shrugged off. "El, I hurt as well! I loved him as a brother! We knew him for years longer than most, he lived thrice the years of other men! But he was mortal, we both knew that this day would come."

"I mourn not only for him, El. I grieve for our dear, sweet sister. If only we had stayed, lingered yet a little longer for her. It is for her which I lament." Elrohir's shaking slowed until he did little more than tremble. "We should be there now for her, to comfort her. Instead, she is alone with her sorrow."

"She has her children, El. Her friends. I can not believe Erestor is not there, and perhaps Glorfindel or Legolas. She is not alone, my brother."

"But it should be her family who should be with her," protested Elrohir. "Why didn’t I stay?" His fists hit the mattress on either side of him. Elladan looked at Celebdreth and nodded toward the door. Knowing not to argue, the young elf quickly removed himself from the room.

Wandering down to the first floor, Celebdreth followed the voices coming from the parlor. Still in their nightclothes, he found his parents, Uncle Orophin, and Aunt Valarda sitting on the floor around the fireplace sharing their thoughts and a bottle of Gondorian brandy, one of just a few Orophin had brought with him to Valinor.

"Come, dearest, sit among the elders and have a drink," offered Valarda, scooting over to make room for Celebdreth. He bowed his head a bit in thanks and shuffled over to the spot on the floor. "Celebdreth of Valinor, what news of the third floor?" she asked, taking a swig from the bottle.

"I do not know what is happening with Uncle Elrond. It seems Auntie Clebri is with him, as are Grandfather and Granana. Elrohir is upset, and Elladan is trying to comfort him, but I do not think he wishes comfort." Celebdreth took the bottle as it was offered. The liquid was not like the drinks he preferred. It felt like fire on his tongue and the taste was not at all pleasing. All that was forgotten as his body tingled then relaxed right down to the tips of his toes. He drank once again before handing the brandy to his mother. "I do not understand why he would wish to be in pain when so many around him would help him ease his distress."

"I think it is a quality specific to his lineage. One must consider he is not completely an elf," Nenniach pointed out, but her husband strongly disagreed.

"If that is true, Orophin must not be completely elf," he argued, taking the bottle from her. "I remember numerous times when we almost lost Haldir, and each time, he was completely unreachable," he said, nodding across the half-circle at Orophin.

Orophin shrugged. "I did not feel in those instances like talking about whether my brother would survive or be pulled to the halls by Namo. Speaking of unapproachable elves, I still do not think my nose has entirely healed from that very last incident."

Rumil considered this. "I did promise Haldir I would eventually get him for his runaway act, didn’t I? And it has been far more than a week..." Rumil smirked as he sipped from the bottle.

"I guess that being an only child doesn’t allow for the same feelings as having siblings does," concluded Valarda. Nenniach nodded, but Celebdreth shrugged.

"I feel quite close to the twins. I would say they are like brothers," Celebdreth admitted. "And though I was not as close to Arwen, I think I shall still be sad when she passes on."

"Um, sweetie, the reason everyone is so sad is because of..." Nenniach, unable to say the words, looked at her son sympathetically.

Celebdreth furrowed his brow. "Are you sure? From the way Elrohir spoke, I took it to mean it was Estel who had died." The other four elves cringed on his last word. "Was Elrond not close to Estel?"

"He loved him as a son," Rumil nodded. "But from how he cried so, I assumed it was his daughter whom has been lost."

"Perhaps it is Estel who has died, yet indeed his daughter he has lost," Orophin suggested. Turning suddenly to Celebdreth, he asked, "Where is Haldir?"

"He... I do not know," Celebdreth admitted.

"Maybe I should get him," said Orophin after a moment’s silence. Valarda placed a hand on his arm.

"Stay. I am sure your mother has control of things."

- - -

When finally Elrond had calmed upon his own terms, he was led to his bed, succumbing to fatigue rather than a desire to rest. Celebrian was knelt beside him, one hand joined to his, while Galadriel held vigil from the end of the half-elf’s bed. It was Celeborn who emerged into the hallway to check on the rest of the family.

His first stop was across the hall. Without knocking he entered, turning right into the sleeping quarters of his grandchildren. Only one bed was occupied, and he stepped lightly out of the rooms once again when Elladan raised a finger to his lips, careful not to wake his brother. Elrohir was sleeping deeply next to Elladan, likely slumbering with aid of either 'elvish magic' or strong liquor.

Feeling no need to wonder where Celebdreth had gone to, Celeborn let himself into the rooms at the furthest end of the hall. It was here that he found a motionless lump beneath a royal blue quilt. He said nothing, knowing Haldir knew of his presence. After some time had passed, a voice softly asked for conformation. "He sleeps?"

"That he does. For now."

"I saw it. I thought it was a dream. A nightmare." Still hidden under the covers, Haldir continued. "It was a vision. I had hoped they had gone, but I find that is not true. Now more than ever I do not wish them."

Celeborn lowered himself onto the bed, avoiding the covered lump. "When they first began, you said you did not wish to ask for help."

"I still do not want help," came the muffled reply. "But I ask for it now, from you. Nana does not need another worry."

"That she does not," agreed Celeborn. "You should talk to her in time. Perhaps to Elrond, if you are more comfortable. Though I do not share so much in their gifts of foresight, I can teach you to better control your thoughts. With me you can share your thoughts, and we can meditate." The lump moved slightly, and Celeborn guessed Haldir must be nodding his head.

"He told her to sail. He said she could still go and he would not feel ill toward her." Haldir pulled the covers down with one hand, the rabbit still pulled close to his chest. "She begged him to stay, if only a little longer, that she was not yet ready to depart. He refused, he said he would not pass as an enfeebled old man, and she refused to leave him. And how she cried when at last his breath diminished." Haldir sat up, placing his free hand upon his father’s thigh. "She is still crying."

Celeborn saw now that Haldir himself had likely only just stopped. His face was red and swollen, the skin beneath his eyes puffed and not at all elf-like. Hair was matted, the rabbit was damp, and the collar and shoulder of his nightshirt were tear-stained. Drawing his son closer to him, Haldir let out a belated sob. "I don’t want her to die, Ada. She can’t die. Ada, I love her, though it is wrong, I love her and I-" He ran out of breath, choking, sucked in more air. "I don’t know what to do."

"I know of little truth to tell you which would bring peace to your soul," Celeborn said to him. "She has bound herself to her mortality, and what is more, to Elessar. I will not deceive you, she will die."

"She could still sail! He said so, he told her to. It is not so impossible!"

"She will not come to the West," Celeborn sighed. "Truly, would you wish for her to come and hold you only second in her heart? Could you stand a life knowing how much more another had meant to her, one whom she would die for?"

"For her, I would hesitate nothing."

"Ai, Haldir. Her heart does not belong to you. You should not give her yours."

"She has long held it, and I dare not ask now for it back."

Celeborn was at a loss. He had known for some time of his son’s hardly secret adoration for his only granddaughter. He had always hoped it should pass in time. Seemingly, it had not. "Come. I shall not have you drown in your tears."

"Leave me," insisted Haldir, pulling away. "I know I have shamed you, I wish to be alone."

"Nay, Haldir. Dwelling here in sorrow will not help your grief."

"Sitting among my family will not alleviate it, either. My thoughts and words are a disgrace to you all."

"Unlike your mother, I am not one to coddle those who proclaim to be what they are not and preach of self pity. You shall shame me by hiding yourself in your room while your brothers worry for you downstairs. Find a clean shirt and meet us in the parlor." Celeborn plucked the purple rabbit from under Haldir’s arm. "I may return this when you join us."

Though is was unlikely for Haldir to disobey an order from his father, this new twist did not lead him to rethink getting out of bed to clean himself up as Celeborn soundlessly left the room.

- - -

"You will do no such thing, Rumil," scolded Nenniach. "Your poor brother had been through enough as it is."

"A promise is a promise," he retorted. "I do not wish to be called a liar."

"A liar you might not be called, but a liar you shall be, then."

Valarda watched the exchange with mild amusement. "I think one punch in the nose would be just payment for the trouble he caused us."

"Speak for yourself, my dear," interrupted Orophin, "but as a recipient of one of Rumil’s punches to the face, the punishment far outweighs the crime."

"Whoever said I would do naught but punch him?" asked Rumil. "It has been over one hundred years, I do believe interest is due."

"Interest for what?" The elves around the fire turned to see Celeborn in the doorway, the firelight dancing across his form in the early morning hours.

Orophin pulled Valarda onto his lap, patting the open space in a gesture of welcome to his father. "When I dragged our oh so valiant brother back from Rohan, Rumil promised he would seek revenge after a week. Things became busy, Haldir didn’t recover quite so quickly, and needless to say, dear Rumil forgot."

"So you plan to punch him now, is that it?" asked Celeborn, setting the purple bunny on the floor next to him and motioning that someone should pass him the brandy.

"Yes," answered Rumil. "And no. I think he deserves more than a punch. Maybe even a kick, or a-" he stopped, noticing the elf in the doorway. "Halli?" He stood, rushing over to him. "Gosh, Halli, you look terrible. Come, sit with us by the fire." Rumil led his eldest brother to the floor, placing him closest to the hearth. "Is there anything I can get for you?"

"Miruvor... knuckle sandwich... " Orophin’s words were whispered into Valarda’s ear, well below the hearing of others, but his wife pinched him regardless.

Haldir swallowed hard, looking into the fire. "I just wanted to be with my family."

Orophin picked up the rabbit, positioning it so that it was peering over Valarda’s shoulder. "And we just want to be with you. Did you bring your old pal Nibbles some carrots?" asked the rabbit, in a high pitched Orophinish voice.

Haldir smiled and reached forward for the rabbit, which Orophin promptly handed over. "I’m a little jealous, Halli. I sometimes wish I had a rabbit of my own."

"Ask the twins. I am sure they would make one for you," said Haldir, positioning the bunny in his lap.

"Is that where it came from?" Celeborn passed the bottle to Valarda. "I had wondered how it came to be."

Footsteps on the stairs told them someone else approached. They were graceful, but heavier than normal for an elf. "Nana sounds tired," said Rumil, glancing toward the stairway. Soon, Galadriel came to the door, quite obviously emotionally spent.

Celeborn was up to greet her in an instant, leading her to the fire before pulling the oversized chair closer for her. "My dear, if I sit down in that, it is not likely I shall get back up," she teased. Celeborn considered this, and replaced the chair with the rocker. Once his wife was settled, Celeborn resumed a spot on the floor, but now his hands were wrapped around Galadriel’s feet instead of the brandy bottle. She closed her eyes and sank into the cushions, not about to stop her husband. "Elrond is doing better. He woke and asked to be alone with Celebrian. I checked on the twins, they are both sound asleep, poor things. They will not take things well." Galadriel opened her eyes and laid them upon her oldest son. "Haldir?"

Not wishing to further discuss his vision or his thoughts tonight, he slowly and reluctantly raised his head. "Yes?"

"When we were at the festival, we saw Thranduil there. He is going to be holding a number of celebrations in the coming months, two of which concern you. The second is quite a surprise to me, but he wishes to hold a gathering for the family in honor of the new elfling." She placed a hand on her growing belly with affection.

"That is generous of him," nodded Haldir. "And the first?"

"He is holding a banquet for a number of the great leaders and rulers among the elves," Galadriel answered. "Your father and I shall attend, as will Elrond and Celebrian. Invitation has of course been extended to you as well."

"Why would a former guardian of the woods be invited to such an event?" Haldir wondered. Galadriel laughed.

"He isn’t inviting a former Captain, he is inviting a former King."

Orophin almost spilled the brandy in his excitement. "That is right! You were King of the Infested Forest! Still are, technically, are you not?"

Haldir crossed his arms, giving his brother his most arrogant single-raised eyebrow look. "And I would lock you in my dungeons if we were there now."

"Not a problem," Orophin said. "From what I hear, they keep neither gangly hobbit nor hearty dwarf imprisoned for long. I would be out by nightfall."

Galadriel let a hand slide across Celeborn’s shoulder, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, then." The lord stood up abruptly, hiding his blush. "It has been a busy night, and we are overdue to retire. Until the morning, my children, and a late morning at that, I should think." They bid them all goodnight, and soon were followed by Celebdreth and his parents.

Valarda sat now between Orophin and Haldir as the fire slowly flickered and faded. She linked one arm with Orophin and the other with Haldir. "We could go out and get drunk on the beach again. In honor of King Elessar, of course."

"Oh, of course. For no other reason." Winked Orophin.

"Oro." Haldir turned, looking around Valarda to his brother. "Oro, why is Thranduil holding a gathering for our family?"

"He calls it a reunion. Although, he was a little sad that his younger son is not yet in Valinor, he thinks it is time now to have one."

"That is all well and good, but I do not understand why he is the one organizing it," Haldir said.

Orophin blinked. "Well, why can’t he."

Haldir shifted his gaze to the smoldering logs. "Oh."

Unable to completely control his laughter, Orophin snickered. "Even I knew he was related to us."

"Thank you for informing me, oh fountain of knowledge," grumbled Haldir.

"You are most welcome, oh king of the infested forest," replied Orophin.

The fire spat and crackled and the last ember turned to grey ash. Outside the skies were pale blue-grey, the morning promising to be overcast. "You know what we could do..." suggested Valarda, letting the suggestion hang in midair.

Haldir tossed his rabbit onto the chair, then pulled Valarda up off of the floor, who then yanked Orophin into a standing position. Orophin grabbed the half-empty bottle of brandy from the floor, then retrieved a jug of good wine from the kitchen before following his wife and brother onto the beach. In the fading moonlight, the three drank to the Gondorian king, singing their eulogies into the East.

"No man was he, but a mortal elf. I drink to all he did and all he was, and whatever he may yet become!" shouted Orophin to the sea.

"Never truer his words, never greater his heart. A leader, a lover, a fighter, a friend. Beware, Mandos, into your midst comes the king of all kings!" warned Valarda, her words washed upon the waves.

"You fought beside me in battle, and for that, I shall always respect you. You held me once in death, and for that, I shall always remember you." Haldir paused, blinking away the tears that came. "You cherished the elleth I loved in ways I could not, and for that, I shall always love you. Use wisely your gift, and dwell not long in the halls, Estel, my friend. Namarie."
Strawberry Cake by Zhie
Haldir had to be dreaming.

In fact, he knew for certain he was. The last few days had been rough, and that was putting things mildly. He had attempted to occupy his time with one task after another, each one completed with only a minor amount of enthusiasm. At night he would sit on the beach tirelessly playing his flute, a constant stream of mournful notes floating out to sea. For the better part of a week this continued, and his refusal to rest was driven by the fear that she might appear in his reverie.

It was on the fourth or fifth night after his vision - Haldir had lost count by now, for day and night seemed to flow together - that he was commanded by Elrond to sleep. Whether this was due to the fact that he could barely see straight and nearly walked into the kitchen door and then table on his way to the evening meal, or that he snarled at Elrond during dinner when asked to pass the rolls, one will never quite know. It was quite clear, however, during the 'discussion' that followed that Haldir was neither to question the decision nor try to appeal it. Throwing down his napkin on the table, he left without so much as a goodnight to anyone, but heard the end of the conversation in the kitchen as he stomped up the stairs.

"Elladan! Elrohir! Follow him up there and make sure he doesn't jump out of the window and go to the beach. If I have to manage through another night of midnight melodies, I shall break his flute over his head."

"Adar," pleaded Elrohir, "I think he is taking things rather badly. He does not want to talk to anyone about what has happened, and I think he shall object to your treating him as if he were an elfling."

"I do not care whether he objects or not!" Elrond informed his sons. "Use whatever means necessary to keep him in his bed until the sun rises! I care not if you must bind him to the mattress or bar the door, he is not to come back down these stairs until he has rested!"

After a moment, Haldir had heard two sets of feet on the stairs, following, but keeping a great distance. Haldir did not bother to undress, throwing himself down on his bed in a huff. He would not rest, he would not sleep. He would stay awake for the next century, if only to further aggravate Elrond, though what purpose such would serve, Haldir did not know. It was thusly that he was caught off guard; thoughts straying just long enough to make him forget his goal and accidentally drift off to sleep.

For most elves, sleep was not a pleasant situation. Why rest and have dreams when one could control the images and relive happy memories? Haldir had adopted the idea of sleeping from his many ventures into the land of men, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Dreaming, too, was pleasurable. The inability to know the outcome was exciting to him, and in the rare instances that he could safely partake in sleeping while he was in Lothlorien, he did so.

He knew he was dreaming when he smelled the scent of strawberries and sponge cake waft through the halls and under the crack beneath his door. Knew that even as he left his bed, he was still really there. Knew that the empty house, with its bare walls, was little more than an illusion, a stark contrast to the colorful liveliness he had grown accustomed to. Knew when he opened the door of the kitchen and saw his dark haired mentor of years past that he was dreaming still.

Erestor was in the kitchen, standing at the counter. "Took you long enough, penneth."

"It has been a bad week for me," replied Haldir, sliding into one of the chairs at the table.

"You and me both." Erestor was settling two plates onto the counter and was now looking through the utensil drawer. On the counter sat a large iced cake, pink frosting adorning the white outer shell with squiggles and stars.

Haldir yawned and pushed his long pale hair behind his back, realizing this was not quite a dream. On very few occasions had he far-spoken with anyone while he was asleep. The last time had been rather odd, for he had not exactly been the intended recipient, and had been interrupted during a somewhat erotic dream. Quickly, Haldir glanced down to be sure he was dressed this time. Erestor approached the table, placing one plate in front of Haldir, and sitting down at the spot where he had placed the other.

For a moment, the two of them sat in silence, doing nothing more than eating cake. Erestor watched as Haldir began to toy with his piece, flicking chunks around the plate with his fork. "Care to share a dream with me?"

Haldir shrugged. "I thought we already were."

"Of course." Erestor wiped his mouth with his napkin and placed it aside. Long, elegant fingers folded themselves onto the table in front of him. "Although I had something a little different in mind. It regards a certain warden of Lorien - we'll refer to him as Haldir, for ease of remembrance - and the daughter of a lord, let's just call her... I don't know, Arwen sounds like as good a name as any. So this Haldir elf, he thought he had fallen in love with Arwen-"

"I am in love with her," corrected Haldir.

"No, no, no, penneth. You love her, yes, obviously nothing to deny there. But you are not in love with her. They are two similar things, and yet very, very different. It's like comparing peaches and strawberries. Both fruits are very sweet to taste, but you must admit, the difference is huge. The way they look, the way they grow, and the way they feel." Erestor paused and picked his fork up again. "You love Arwen."

Haldir nodded.

"You are not in love with Arwen."

Haldir sat motionless.

"Ah, and that is where Arwen's one true love enters, some three thousand years later or whatever it was. No elf is he, but a man. We shall call him... " Erestor contemplated things, fork stirring at the air as if the name would come to him. "...Smellyranger. And Smellyranger," he continued, despite Haldir's chuckle, "loved her very much, married her, had children with her, and so on. He is gone now, but I shall not give details for I would not be contacting you had I not known that you knew. Soon Arwen will join him, and do you know why that is, penneth?"

"Because she is in love with him," said Haldir. "And he is in love with her."

"I always knew you to be the brightest one of the family," nodded Erestor. "Her decision to become mortal, to stay with Smellyranger, was not one easily made. She hurt many, including herself, with that choice. Still, she would have faded in Valinor had she come. So, if truly you love her, be happy with her choice, for she has had over a century of complete happiness. Though her eventual fate remains unknown, I must imagine she and Smellyranger will somehow continue to be together for eternity. Whatever the case may be they are nearing the end of their journey in our world. You, penneth, you are the one I have concern for."

"Do not worry yourself over me." Haldir waved his hand in a dismissive gesture, and was surprised when his hand was caught by the older elf.

"Haldir, lasto beth nîn. Tolo dan na ngalad. You continue to fade even as we speak, and all for naught. Have you once thought of the fate of your true soul mate if you were to fade?" Erestor let go of Haldir's hand. "If I only knew where the other half of your soul wandered, I would write a letter of recommendation on your behalf."

Haldir waited for the rest, but Erestor remained silent. "So what is this dream you wish to share with me?"

"And they all lived happily ever after."

"That is a dream."

"Aye, it is a good dream. You may not believe this now, but both Arwen and Smellyranger are going to live happily ever after." This comment drew another wry smile from Haldir, and Erestor continued. "The fairytale is nearing its end for them, but yours is but a few scratches of notes in the margins. You have all the time in the world, and I think in the end, you shall indeed live happily ever after."

Haldir slumped back down into his chair. "What did I do to the Valar to end up in such a predicament?"

"I don't think you did anything." Erestor went back to eating his cake. "Look at my situation. Living for thousands of years in the same house with someone, knowing them for millennia, and suddenly finding out one day that you've been bonded without knowledge or consent since the beginning of the Third Age. Quite a shocker, I can tell you that. Still having trouble sorting things out."

Haldir's mouth hung open. "Who? How? When did that happen?" he blurted out.

Erestor made his own dismissive gesture with assistance from his fork. "I shall share the tale with you when I have come to Valinor. It is not one for far-speaking, for walls sometimes have ears, and far-speaking as I rest drains me greater than doing so as I am awake."

"Could you not have contacted me during the day then?" asked Haldir.

"Not with the way you were going about things!" Erestor told him, mildly annoyed. "You barely stopped to breathe, silly elf. It is a good thing Elrond had the sense to send you to bed." Haldir looked confused at this comment, but Erestor seemed not to notice. "I do not want you to fade. You haven't given up on anything before, and now is not the most practical time to do so. You have your family, you are living in a lovely house from what I am told, have a wonderfully cute and fluffy purple rabbit, and there are reportedly a number of very lovely elleths who wish to get to know you better. Do not fret and fuss and say such behavior would be inappropriate, for your pre-Captain excursions were near legendary in days past."

Haldir had the decency to blush before asking, "How do you know so much?"

"Please, Haldir, I have little time left to talk. And I thought by now you would have just accepted my extreme brilliance and left it not to be questioned." Erestor cleared his throat. "Pass on any or all of the information I am going to share with you that you like, though I know you are aware already of some things, and perhaps in more detail than I. King Elessar has indeed passed, his wife is in mourning. I am to travel at week's end with Glorfindel and Asfaloth to Imladris. We are to be accompanied by Legolas Thranduilion and Gimli, son of Gloin. They have further plans to sail West, but Glorfindel and I had sworn an oath to your father that we would not leave until all of his grandchildren had made decision upon their fate, whether that be to sail or declare themselves mortal. However, we also swore to Lord Elrond that we would be sure his daughter would not be alone in her final days, and plan to keep that final vow of service to him. We have yet to hear the call of the sea, though I think we shall sail in time. Arwen wishes to travel with us to Rivendell, alas, I think we may only make Lothlorien before she embraces death."

Haldir nodded. "I shall tell everyone. I think Elrond will be relieved to know she will not be left alone and forgotten."

"None could forget the Evenstar," smiled Erestor. "But are you comforted by this news?"

Slowly Haldir nodded. "I cannot say I no longer grieve, but it does lift my spirits and lighten my heart."

"Good. For that I am glad. Now I must go. I see the next year to be challenging in many ways." Erestor stood up, brushing the crumbs off of his robes. "Be good to yourself, Haldir, I think the Valar have seen you do enough penance for whatever transgressions you might think you are at fault of doing."

Again Haldir nodded as he watched Erestor walk to the kitchen door. "Take care, Erestor, and thank you for..." Haldir motioned his hands in front of him, trying to decide what to call that which had occurred. Erestor stood calmly in the doorway. "...thank you for the strawberry cake," he finally settled on, motioning to his now empty plate.

"Hmm. And here I believed it to be peach cobbler. Such is the wonder of dreaming." Erestor bowed his head slightly. "Good evening, penneth. Rest well."

"Thank you, Master Erestor. You as well."

Erestor turned to leave, then walked back. "Nearly I forgot. I have one last thing to give to you. Verse four of a poem I wrote. It has been a work in progress, for additions are made only when elflings are near to being born." Erestor cleared his throat and recited,


"Little elfling, when you wake

The waves, upon the beach shall break

Little elfling, 'cross the sea

The shores, 'tis where you'll always be."


"It is sealed in my memory and I shall add it to the rest of the poem in the morning," Haldir promised.

Erestor gave another curt nod. "I know you shall. And now, I must go. Namarie." As almost an afterthought, Erestor called over his shoulder, "Please, give my congratulations to your sister."

"My sister?" Haldir tried to follow after Erestor to demand meaning to his words, but found himself frozen in place. The link had been lost, and Haldir now found himself merely dreaming.

Haldir had to be dreaming.

Haldir had to talk to Celebrian in the morrow.

Haldir had to have some more strawberry cake.

- - -

Erestor walked through the mist, out of Haldir's mind and into the shared consciousness of two others. Into the corridor of the hallway he came, and two elves rose from the stairs.

"Will he be alright?" asked Elrohir.

"He will. In time."

"Are you coming to Valinor?" asked Elladan.

"I will. In time."

In a jumble, the twins began to try to explain the past years to Erestor, but he covered his ears and shook his head. "I do not have the constitution you have for far-speaking. You have each other to ground yourselves; I have lingered far too long and do not wish to lose myself here. Soon, I will come. Do not worry yourselves. Look after Haldir, he is a mess, but he will pull through. Now, I must bid you farewell, and ask you not to contact me thusly again. The next time we speak I shall contact you." Elrohir and Elladan nodded. "Truly, do I have your assurances?" Both of them nodded again in earnest. Erestor smiled, and drew them into a rare hug. "Too long has it been. I am glad to see you are both well. Your sister sends her love to you, and to your parents as well. You are to tell your father from her 'Thank you, papa'. He will know the meaning. I must depart. Namarie."

Erestor was gone then, and Elrohir sighed, brushing away an errant tear. "I wish he would have stayed long enough for us to tell him about the other baby."

"You do understand that other baby will be our aunt," pointed out Elladan. Elrohir chuckled and leaned his head against Elladan's. "Come, I haven't had a good dream in some time." Elladan pulled Elrohir down the stairs. "And I have the greatest urge to conjure up peach cobbler."

"Really?" Elrohir licked his lips. "Can we have it with strawberry cake?"

"Please, El," scolded Elladan mockingly. "One always has strawberry cake with peach cobbler."
The Music of Falling Leaves by Zhie
At breakfast the next morning, the atmosphere was a little warmer, and the family a little closer. For Haldir, the day had begun when he climbed out of bed, readied himself for the day, and knocked upon the door to his sister’s room. Meaning to ask her just what Erestor had been talking about congratulating her for, he was unsure of what to say when it was his brother-in-law who answered.

He stared at Elrond for some time. Ever since finding out about Elessar, the two had said little to one another. After thinking of his horrible behavior the last few days, Haldir settled on delivering an apology. The most he was able to come up with was, "I’m sorry, Elrond... I’m just... so very sorry." It was not clear who initiated the hug, nor which of them was more in need of it. They stood in the doorway, Celebrian dashing back into the library when she saw them there, deciding they likely did need the moment alone.

It was only when the door opened across the hall that Haldir and Elrond both stepped back. Three elves stood, snickering none too quietly. "We saw that," announced Elladan. "Your reputations of being two of the most stoic elves in Valinor will be ruined by lunch."

"Funny," mused Haldir as he walked past them to get to the stairs, brow raised high. "I would have thought my sleeping habits would have done that for me by now."

"Sleeping habits, or sleeping rabbits?" joked Celebdreth behind him.

"Habits, rabbits, it’s all the same, is it not?"

Elrohir sighed and smiled. "Finally, he is coming back to us."

- - -

After the meal, Haldir found himself attempting to corner Celebrian, to no avail. First, it was Elrond who occupied her time, discussing with her the plans for the various events Thranduil had been planning. Next, her sons plagued her with reasons why they should not be forced to attend the various events Thranduil had been planning, but each issue came to an end with the response of "Go ask your adar."

When the twins finally left the parlor, Haldir tossed the book of poems he had been updating into the chair and climbed over the back of the couch, much to the surprise of Celebrian. "I didn’t know you were still here," she admitted.

Haldir waved this off. "I have to ask you something."

"Celebrian! My dearest, I wish to speak with you." Galadriel glided into the room just as Haldir was about to ask his question. Celebrian beamed with delight, standing up to embrace her mother. Haldir fumed, arms crossed, a scowl spreading across his face. "Haldir, darling child, would you kindly see what mischief your father is making on the beach? He has been there since breakfast."

"Nana, I am much of the mind to speak with my sister."

Galadriel motioned for Celebrian to sit once again, and approached Haldir, drawing him up into an embrace as well. "As am I to speak with her, my little warrior. Have patience. Come back later." Haldir, quite obviously defeated, kissed his mother’s cheek and left the room.

- - -

On the beach, Celeborn had spread a quilt out on the ground. He was lounging on one side, and there was not only room enough for another to take up residence beside him, but it appeared that someone had indeed been there from how the blanket was settled on the ground. Celeborn regarded Haldir was a look of surprise. "I thought your mother was going to return. Come, sit with me and listen to the sea."

Haldir sat down, but the urge to lie and absorb the rays of the sun proved too much. Soon he was resting his head on his arms above him, legs resting on the quilt - one knee up, one knee down. "Nana seemed to think you might get into trouble out here by yourself."

"Your nana is a wise elleth," smirked Celeborn. From his robes, he removed a quill, jar of ink, and a pad of paper. "Haldir, there is something I want to talk to you about, and I think I shall hurt your feelings, but if I say nothing, it is my feelings which shall be hurt. Although I have always thought it a father’s duty to place their own feelings second to those of their children, this is one matter of which I feel strongly."

"You want to name the elfling."

Celeborn sat up, looking offended. "I had an entire speech planned, the least you might have done was allowed me to finish."

Haldir sat up as well and brushed the stray grains of sand from his pants. "By all means."

Celeborn’s gaze drifted here and there, across the sea, to the house. By the time his eyes settled back upon his son, he had forgotten the entirety of his oration. "I would like to name one of my children, yes."

Haldir nodded. "It is your right. You are the father, are you not?"

"If I am not, there is more of an issue than naming rights involved in this situation," grinned Celeborn. "But I do not wish to hurt your feelings, my son."

"If you are happy, I am happy. I am overjoyed by the thought of this elfling. I am already looking forward to all I shall teach her." Haldir placed a hand on his father’s shoulder. "Name her as you wish, any name you decide will be perfect."

"Well that’s just the trouble," sighed Celeborn. "It appears all of the truly splendid names have been taken. So I have been attempting to come up with one and nothing seems to fit. If you wouldn’t mind, what name had you come up with?"

Haldir frowned. "Do not do this. You should decide upon the name yourself."

"I will, I will," promised Celeborn. "I only wonder, what had you suggested?"

"Paptalasselinde."

Celeborn sat in silence. "The poor child, can you imagine the frustration of trying to write that?" Celeborn paused. "Let alone trying to say it. It sounds beautiful, do not mistake me, but... I don’t think even I would be able to master that one. I had enough trouble with you throwing ‘Orophin’ at me."

"Paptalasselinde. The music of leaves falling. It seemed appropriate, regarding Lothlorien."

"Yes, even the sound of saying it reminds me of the falling leaves." Celeborn looked across the sea again. "I think more than anything it would make me sad to say it."

"Do not think to say it, then, Ada, think of what you shall name her."

"Your mother doesn’t know." Celeborn glanced over his shoulder at the house. "At least, I do not think she does. It is difficult to tell sometimes with her. But I would like to keep this a secret, about the name. If you do not mind."

"Yes, of course," Haldir agreed.

Celeborn nodded. "Right, then. A name for my daughter..." They sat in quiet contemplation for some time. "Do you know, your mother was of a mind to name your sister Celebriel."

Haldir laughed. "That would not have been so strange. It would seem there are other cases of such a naming."

"Aye, but the name did not seem to fit. I was happy when she decided on Celebrian. I think there is not another such name close to it at all." Celeborn smirked. "And then there is Rumil, a name that was blatantly plagiarized."

"I was young and liked the name very much," defended Haldir. "And it suits him well."

"That is does," admitted Celeborn. "What of Orophin? How came you to settle on that?"

"You do not know?" Haldir leaned over the side of the quilt and wrote a number of lines in the sand. After each subsequent line, Celeborn’s smile widened. Sitting back up, Haldir pointed to the words as he read through them. "Glorfindel – Orfindel – Orfin – Orphin – Orophin."

"That is quite clever."

"Thank you."

"Is Glorfindel aware of this?"

"Yes, that he is. Did you never notice his fondness of Orophin?" asked Haldir.

"I must say, I always did think he had an extra sort of affection for him. Just as Elrond was quite fond of Rumil, and dare I say, I think Erestor very much treated you like the son he never had."

"I spoke to him last night," admitted Haldir. "Far-spoke to him. He seems to have been worried about me."

Celeborn dipped his quill into the ink. "We all worried about you. Some of us are still worrying. And do not-" said Celeborn, raising his voice slightly in a commanding tone, "-do not tell me not to worry over you. I will worry about you as long as you are my son."

Haldir crossed his arms in front of himself. "Fine. Worry about me if you like. I shall do my best to ignore you."

"Good. Glad to know nothing has changed between us, then." Celeborn scratched something else onto the paper. "Raasarin."

"Raasarin." Haldir spoke it again a few times, letting the name roll back and forth like the sea. "We could call her Sari for short, but I think it is too harsh a name. She is not destined to be a tough little elleth."

"No?" Celeborn made a few more notes. "Quesseth, then?"

"Quesseth. How did you come up with that?"

"What is wrong with it?" Celeborn looked slightly hurt. "Quessien…Quesseheri…Quessewen…"

"Please, stop." Haldir leaned back on the quilt. "There are some words that an elf is just not meant to be called by."

"What do you think of the name Celebriel?"

"I think now you are just being silly." Haldir closed his eyes. "How did you come to name me?"

"I didn’t name you, your mother did that."

"How did she come to name me, then."

Celeborn tilted his head up to the sky, remembering back many long years. "Your mother and I spoke of having a second child soon after Celebrian’s birth. No matter what, she wanted our son, our heir, to have a special name. She also knew somehow that if we indeed did have a son that he would walk much among men. Your name, while common among them, was certainly rare among elves."

"How so is such a simple name so rare?"

"How many other elves do you know of whose name begins as does yours?" asked Celeborn.

For the next few minutes, Haldir began to sort through the names of each and every elf he had ever met. Everyone he had met in Valinor, everyone he knew in Lothlorien and Rivendell. The traveling elves, he thought of, and the elves of old, those awakened. "Here, all this time, I thought Orophin’s name was a clever one."

"It is still a clever name. Yours is unique. Among elves." Celeborn scribbled something more on the paper. "What say you to Losuial?"

"It is a nice name," Haldir said.

"Hmm. ‘Losuial, it is time for bed.’ No, that won’t do." Celeborn dipped the quill into the ink once more. "You know, she and I had always took your name to mean different things."

"That I knew long," Haldir said. "You and Glorfindel used to call me the ‘Hidden Hero’, but Nana opted for ‘Tall Watcher’. In some ways, I suppose parts of both suited me."

Celeborn raised a brow. "Only parts?"

"Of course. I am neither tall nor a hero, though I spent a great deal of time watching things and hiding in trees," insisted Haldir.

"I cannot argue the fact you are not tall," admitted Celeborn, "but you are a hero to some."

"Not in comparison to many others, whose deeds cause anything I may have accomplished to look like small tasks."

Celeborn continued to write. "You are stubborn, and I refuse to further discuss this topic." Celeborn paused. "If you do not think you name suits you, perhaps you would like a new name."

"No, thank you. I have grown used to Haldir. I would not wish to be called something else. Besides, my sword is engraved with my name already, to change the imprint now would be folly."

"Why then do you allow your siblings to call you Halli?" Celeborn had almost always referred to his children by their full names, so using the abbreviated forms seemed odd to him.

"Because Halli is just a more... intimate version of Haldir," he explained. "I do not let just anyone call me that. Just as very few can call Orophin ‘Oro’ and fewer still can refer to Celebrian as ‘Clebri’."

Celeborn considered this. "Interesting."

"Think of it like this. Would you rather I called you Celeborn, or Ada?"

"I wish you would never again call me Celeborn. I heard that far too many times from you back in Lothlorien." Celeborn put down the quill and set to closing the ink bottle. "You grew up too fast, and I should never have allowed you to use my proper name when you spoke to me. I should have been your father first, and not your lord."

Sitting up, Haldir moved so that he was sitting next to Celeborn, and wrapped his arms around his father. "You wish is my command, my lord. Consider it done, Ada." He kissed his father on the temple, and then noticed the name that was underlined on the paper. "Ada, truly, you don’t have to do that."

"No, Haldir, I really like it. Please? I think it is perfect."

Haldir smiled. "As you wish, Ada, as you wish."
Death by Vanilla Pudding by Zhie
“I’ve had a thought,” announced Orophin in the parlor. The entire family had gathered there after dinner, which had become a ritual for the last few weeks. On the table sat a large bowl of fluffy vanilla pudding with a ladle protruding from it, a number of smaller bowls and spoons settled next to it. Only three of the room’s occupants were eating any of it thus far – Haldir, Orophin, and Galadriel, who was on her third serving.

“Finally,” was the only reply, this coming from Rumil who did not bother even to look up from his book.

“I was just thinking, if one were to die while in Valinor, they’d just get sent right back after going to the halls of waiting.”

Haldir held a spoonful of pudding over his bowl, contemplating this. “In theory, yes.”

“So, I think we should test that theory. I think someone should kill me, so we can try it out.”

“What?!” Galadriel nearly choked on her dessert. “Orophin, that is the worst idea in the whole of the ages.”

“Besides, you don’t just get ‘sent right back’,” added Celeborn. “You have to be reborn.”

Orophin shrugged. “Not a problem. You and Nana seem to be having no problem with having more elflings, and then not only would I be the middle child, I’d also be the baby of the family.”

“In more ways than one…” trailed Rumil from behind his book.

“If you decide to pull a fool stunt like that, I will personally see to it that no one has any more elflings in Valinor ever and you can sit in Mandos for all of eternity,” threatened Galadriel.

“Valarda, darling,” Orophin set his bowl onto the table and strolled over to his wife, dropping down on one knee in front of her and taking hold of one of her hands. “If I get someone to kill me for this little experiment, would you be so kind as to have a torrid love affair with someone so that I might be reborn from you?”

“Of course, Orophin. I’ve been trying to find reason to have a torrid love affair for some time, and now I’d have the perfect excuse.” Valarda looked over Orophin’s head, directly at Haldir, and none too discreetly blew him a kiss that made the eldest of the brothers blush furiously to the tips of his ears.

“Wouldn’t that be an interesting twist to an already twisted family?” mused Rumil. “Your brother would be your father, and your wife would be your mother.” Rumil glanced up to see if anyone would add further comment, but with the exception of Orophin and Valarda, the rest of the family was giving his slightly older brother the oddest of looks. His eldest brother, however, was desperately trying to hide his flushed face, which was now credited to Rumil’s comment, and a wink from Valarda.

“This is madness,” Galadriel finally said. “Orophin, I am forbidding you from... testing your theory or whatever you are calling it. I am going to bed, and I never expect to hear anything remotely related to this conversation ever again. Ever.” Passing her empty bowl to Celeborn, Galadriel pulled herself up from the couch and left the room, shaking her head.

Celeborn, staring all the time at Orophin, set the bowl onto the table. “This has certainly become a most... enlightening evening. I’m leaving now. Good night.”

“You know, Orophin, if you did die and go to Mandos and were to be sent back and Haldir and I did have a torrid love affair, not only would I be your mother and Haldir your father, but then you would end up being your own father, in a way. Step-father, actually.”

“True. That would be very hard to keep track of.” Orophin looked over to Haldir. “You know, you got fairly close a few times, I think we should just kill you. Valarda and I would promise to do everything in our power to bring you back.”

Haldir narrowed his eyes. “If you attempt to kill me, I promise to take you with me. And then it would seem we would be stuck in Mandos together forever, as I doubt Nenniach would allow Rumil to have a torrid love affair with Valarda so that you could come back.”

“And how do you propose to come back?”

“I’m sure Nana and Ada would do everything in their power to bring me back,” said Haldir. “And knowing them, and then some. Remember, they asked for me. You were an unexpected addition.”

“Rumil was even less expected,” mused Orophin. “Let’s kill Rumil.”

“What?!” It was now Elrond’s turn to interrupt the conversation.

“Rumil. If we kill Rumil, well, then I wouldn’t be worried about who Valarda would have her torrid love affair with, because there wouldn’t be one.”

“You wouldn’t have to worry about much,” Nenniach told him, “because you’d be dead as well. And unlike Haldir, I’d make sure it was painful. Very painful.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” insisted Haldir.

“No offense, Haldir, but you are more of a mercy killer. I know how you fight and I’ve watched you hunt. As few strokes as possible, as quickly as you can. If you can’t get a deer down in a single shot, you will sit in a tree for hours waiting for your prey. However, there is no fury like an elleth scorned, and I would have no qualms about sending you to Mandos in the most uncomfortable way possible.” Nenniach daintily picked up her cup of tea and sipped it, pinky out.

“Ai. And they call our family a bunch of kinslayers.” Orophin shook his head. “Not Rumil then.” His eyes drifted over to Elrond, and Celebrian narrowed her eyes menacingly.

“The topic is not longer amusing, Orophin. I shall see you all in the morning, unless someone has the sense to kill Oro by then. Husband?” Celebrian waited for Elrond to stand up and bid everyone, with the exception of Orophin, a good evening.

The parlor was still for the next few moments until the footsteps overhead faded. “Think they suspect anything?” questioned Orophin.

“Well if they didn’t they bloody well do now!” spat Haldir, throwing a pillow at Orophin’s head as an afterthought.

“Come on, then, let’s get started.” Orophin began to stand, but Valarda pulled him back down.

“We have to wait until they are asleep. Even then, we’re going to have to be very quiet,” Valarda warned. “So, Oro, we’ve decided you’re going to keep watch in here.”

“What?!” Orophin crossed his arms. “That isn’t fair! I’m the one who got them to go away so we’d have enough time for this.”

“And you should be lucky we haven’t tied you up yet. You sounded mad, Orophin, I shall never again trust you with such a simple task,” Rumil promised.

Haldir chuckled. “Simple tasks for simple minds.” The pillow was launched back in his direction.

“Look, I got them to go away, I shall explain things later, it will all be fine.” Orophin glanced at the twins. “Who is going to go get our guests from Nana and Ada’s old house?” Three hands were raised in the air, and Rumil pointed in the direction of the door, motioning for them to be silent. The twins and Celebdreth over exaggerated leaving the room in a sneaky fashion, careful not to make a sound as they left the house. Orophin drummed his fingers on his knee. “NOW can we get started?”

“No, not yet.”

“Now?”

“No.”

“Halli?”

“What?”

“Now?”

“Orophin, if you continue to ask, we’ll only have 6,639 of them, because you’ll be trying to dislodge the other one from your-“

“Valarda!” Nenniach tisked. “That was uncalled for.”

“No, I really don’t think it was. In fact, I don’t think elflings today get quite enough discipline, that’s why I have to be so strict with my Orophin,” explained Valarda.

“Mine came well trained,” Nenniach said.

Orophin rolled his eyes. “Don’t you love how they talk about us when we’re right here?”

“You should hear what is said behind your back,” mentioned Haldir.

“Wonder how the eldest one is,” Nenniach continued, as if she hadn’t heard the brothers.

“Not sure. It will be interesting to find out once he finally settles down,” admitted Valarda. “I’m a little concerned, though, it seems sometimes he does a bit too much marking of his territory. I worry that he might not be housebroken.”

“I am housebroken,” announced Haldir as he scowled. “And really, now that it comes to mind, I don’t think I have to justify any of this, nor do I believe it to be your business whatsoever.”

“Definitely untrained,” Valarda added. “He’s just yapping away again.”

“But is he untrainable?” asked Nenniach. “They do say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

Haldir growled. “I am not an old dog.”

“Well, you certainly sound like one when you do that,” Orophin said. Haldir shot him a nasty look, and Orophin shrugged. “That didn’t help your case much either. Don’t worry, though, it’s very unlikely we would take you out and shoot you.”

“Heel, Oro,” commanded Valarda.

“Yes, dear,” replied Orophin. Haldir shot him another nasty look regardless.

“You don’t think Nana is going to suspect, do you?” wondered Rumil.

“Not in the least,” Orophin said. “No mirror, no dice. She’s so wrapped up with the elfling right now, she hasn’t had time to drag out the glorified dishpan and splash it around.” He was given a good number of looks for this comment, but looked at them all right back. “Please, give me a break. You’re all thinking it, I’m just saying it.”

“What about Haldir?” Valarda studied her brother-in-law.

“What about me?”

“Well, I haven’t played a single prank on you here in Valinor, but eventually, you know we’re just going to get bored and start putting barnyard animals in the other elf’s room and hanging objects of a personal nature in trees again,” Valarda said. “But now that you’re having visions, I won’t be able to have the element of surprise.”

“Oh, he doesn't really control the visions though!” said Orophin gleefully. “They just come to him. He doesn't control them anymore than he controls me doing this.” Orophin picked up an unused spoon from the table and bonked it on the side of Haldir’s head. The older elf blinked in surprise. “It just comes to him. Just like that.” Orophin dropped the spoon and helped himself to another bowl of pudding.

Haldir picked up the dropped spoon, twirling it between his fingers. “If forced at the right angle, I think this might be able to cause a mortal wound.” Haldir looked in Valarda’s direction. “Still interested in that torrid love affair? I’ve just had a vision of you becoming a widow surprisingly soon.”

Someone cleared his throat loudly, and everyone turned to see Celeborn suddenly standing in the doorway, Celebrian standing behind him with a wide grin on her face. “We have work to do,” he whispered, “and little time in which to do it.”
Official Bird of the First Homely House by Zhie
“My lord?” Elrond glanced up to see one of his youngest advisors by the door. “There is an elf here from Greenwood who wishes to seek employment.”

“Have you explained that we have filled most of the positions for unskilled labor?” Elrond’s nose was buried back in the papers he had been looking through. The construction of Imladris was a tiring yet thrilling project, and though he would have liked to have been able to allow all who wished to live in this new realm the chance, he knew that overpopulation at the beginning would cause greater problems down the road. He had been strict about the numbers of particular types of craftsmen and such, and had not overstepped his own rulings.

“He is inquiring as to the position of librarian.”

“Tell him we do not have a library and bid him a good day.”

“My lord, I have already explained this to him, and thus he has told me he will temporarily take the position of stable master for the time being, until such time that it is realized that a library is an essential part of your house,” explained the advisor.

Elrond rolled his eyes. The last thing he needed was an elf thinking he could solve things better with his own ideas about running the realm before it was even completed. “Can this librarian ride a horse?”

“Ride them, train them, heal them, and on some occasions, I’ve been known to talk to a few of them.” Elrond looked up to find that the elf in question had been standing in the doorway the entire time.

Elrond stood, beckoning the elf forward. “How does it come that a librarian has such knowledge of horses?”

Sadness came into the elf’s eyes. “A few of my friends in Gondolin insisted I know at the least how to ride. I became quite taken with the creatures. One might consider riding and racing a hobby of mine, if I didn’t take it so seriously.”

“You appear to take many things seriously.” Elrond motioned that they should sit. “Gondolin. That is a realm not often spoke of these days. Were you present at the fall of the realm?”

“Aye.” The deep brown eyes glazed a bit, and were blinked rapidly. “I was one of the last to leave.”

Elrond frowned. “I am sorry, I should not bring up such things from days so sad.”

“The days were happy ones,” the elf corrected him, “it was the evening that brought us all to tears.”

“I’m sorry, I did not get your name, horse master.”

“It is Erestor, Lord Elrond. Erestor of Doriath.”

Elrond raised a brow. “I thought you said just now you were from Gondolin.”

“I lived in Gondolin, aye, but I was born in Doriath, and my heart belongs to that place still in these days when it is lost.” Erestor waved his hand in a dismissive manner. “I am not here to discuss the days of old, however, for the position available is not librarian nor historian, but stable master.”

Elrond placed his hands together, thinking. “If I were to hire you into the house as master of the stables, would you disregard the position if I were to build a library?”

“You would wish me to serve in dual capacity as keeper of your horses and keeper of your books?”

“They are two of the most prized things here in Imladris, and I would want someone capable of the tasks to oversee them.” Elrond let his gaze drift out the window where elves could be seen planting the gardens and painting the exterior of the main house. “Of course, that would take up two positions of my chief counsel. I don’t know how you would feel about holding the title of Chief Advisor as well.

“It would be an honor to have such privilege, my Lord.”

“Welcome then, to Imladris, Master Erestor. I shall send for someone to show you to your quarters.”

Erestor stood, bowed, and went with Elrond to the door. Elrond whistled for a page down the hall, giving him directions on which rooms to show Erestor to. Once the young elf had led the new employee of the house from the office, Elrond scowled at the advisor, still at the door. “Nenniach?”

“Yes, Lord Elrond?”

“The next time an elf walks into this house looking for employment, please see to it that you get their name first.” Elrond shook his head with a sigh. “That was most embarrassing.”

“My Lord?”

“That was Erestor of Doriath. Lord of the House of Silver Stars, if I am remembering correctly.”

Nenniach frowned. “I believe if that he is in fact Erestor of Doriath, it would be the House of the Morning Star.”

“Find out for me, Nenniach, I do not wish to further insult him by not knowing his house…already, I acted a fool by not knowing his name.”

“I do not believe I have a book that would contain such information,” admitted the young elleth. “If only we had a-“

“Library,” finished Elrond for her. “See to it that a suitable place is found within the house to have one. Inform Master Erestor that his first task will not be to see to the horses, but to draw up a list of the books we shall need for the library. And make sure we acquire a few on the subject of heraldry, Nenniach. I do expect you to be able to answer my question as soon as is possible.”

- - -

Elrond slowly drifted out of his reverie, enjoying the last few moments of history relived before beginning a new day, here in Valinor. He had let his mind wander throughout the evening and early morning hours, thinking much about Imladris. Though he admitted it to no one, he greatly missed Rivendell, the Last Homely House, and those whom had remained after he had sailed. Few had come to the West since then, and his hope that one of his most valued friends would some day walk the shore was fast fading.

Always, a part of him felt some guilt regarding his chief advisor. Once a proud noble in lands of old, Erestor had seen more than his share of friends and acquaintances fall to evil forces. Convinced that those who held positions of high rank and power were most at risk, the elf had decided to employ himself as a lower ranked member in the households of various lords and kings. Although he likely could have founded his own realm, Erestor had merely served in Imladris, and prior to that, Greenwood, and Gondolin. He would not even allow reference to his heritage – to everyone, he was just Master Erestor, named so for being the horse master for many years, until the return of Glorfindel.

More even than this, though, was the shadow on Elrond’s conscience regarding the third position Erestor held in the Last Homely House. It was one without title, and yet it was something which had become quite commonplace. Kings, Lords, Ladies, and Queens often times kept an elf who resembled them in some fashion within their realm and close at hand should the need ever arise for a stand-in. In some cases, this could be for events such as dinners and weddings, while other times the task was more dangerous. Most used family members, a child or sibling, though on the rare occasion, another elf was chosen. Never formally stated, Erestor was Elrond’s double for all intents and purposes, and the shame of it was beginning to gnaw at Elrond the longer it took for Erestor to come to Valinor.

An odd birdcall, and one that was unreasonably close interrupted his thoughts.

“Hello, friend, what are you doing here?” Elrond sat up, turning the covers aside as he swung his legs over the side of the bed. “Did someone leave the door open last night? You poor thing, you must have flown in and not know where you’d gotten yourself to.” Standing near the door, blinking in confusion at Elrond, was a bright pink bird with a black beak and long spindly dark grey legs. The bird tilted its long neck to the side gracefully, and Elrond approached the creature, whispering a few words of comfort. The bird sat down upon the floor, nestling its head onto its chest as Elrond picked it up and tucked it under his arm as he reached for the doorknob. “We’ll have you back outside in no time.”

Elrond headed for the stairs, noticing that the house was unusually quiet. Even though his wife had not been in bed with him when he awoke, this had not disturbed him. Celebrian seemed to require little rest, and was often one of the last to turn in and one of the first to rise. Then again, it could still be very early, perhaps. Elrond turned the corner to the second floor and paused. “It appears your friends are looking for you,” he said to the bird he carried.

In the hallway, three more of the brightly colored birds were uneasily strutting around, poking at the items in the hall and nibbling at the crocuses in the planter. “Come along now, out of the house,” he insisted, shooing this trio down the next flight of stairs. He scowled as he looked over his shoulder, wondering why no one on the second floor had noticed the intruders. Surely Rumil, who was a lighter sleeper than any he knew, had noticed the sounds coming from the hall.

Once on the first floor, Elrond began shepherding the birds toward the front door of the First Homely House when a flash of pink caught his attention. Looking in the direction of the parlor, he saw another bird leap onto the rocking chair, knocking it over. Eyes narrowed, Elrond marched into the room, finding a small flock of the birds congregating around the empty fireplace, peering up the chimney in mild fascination. “Out, out, all of you, out!” Elrond corralled the birds and began to lead them to the door when he saw that the curtains had been drawn in the room, but through a slit in one of them, a bit of pink shone through. “What in the name of Arda is going on?!” he demanded, getting little response from the birds as he rounded them up and escorted them to the door.

Striding ahead of the birds, he was able to reach the door and pull it open before the unwelcome houseguests stumbled out the door. About to step out himself to let the errant one he’d woken up to outside, he stalled, mouth agape, eyes wide. “By the Valar…” His initial reaction was to swear like a wounded dwarf, but instead, he shut the door, closed his eyes, and counted to ten. He opened the door again and stared out. “Bloody hell.” The door was slammed shut, and Elrond headed back upstairs, a confused sea bird under his arm.

On the second floor, he stopped at each door, throwing them open without knocking. The rooms were completely empty, and as he crossed over the walkway to the second floor of the Second Homely House, he had a feeling he would only find more of the same. He tried the third floor of each as well, again with the same results. It was only as he reached the second floor of the addition that he felt anyone’s presence.

“Galadriel!” The lady sat up at the sound of her voice, so rudely shouted, and shaking her from her reverie. Giving an odd look at the elf in the doorway, and the strange creature he held, she sat up, waiting for an explanation. “My yard and my beach are filled with flamingos. Thousands of them! Some of them are even taking over my house!” He tossed the one under his arm in the direction of the bed, and it landed gently next to Galadriel. She patted the head of the bird as Elrond crossed the room in exasperation. “Do not tell me your sons are not involved, for I am certain they are. And likely my wife and children as well.”

Galadriel took a second look at the spot where the flamingo was now preening itself, raising a brow. “I have a good feeling that I can tell you whom the mastermind of this operation was.”

“No doubt,” said Elrond dryly, pulling back the curtain to look outside. “They are all over! It will be nigh impossible to rid this place of them…and the mess!”

Galadriel stepped toward the window, next to Elrond now, pulling a pale grey floor-length shawl around her shoulders. “My word. There have to be five, six thousand at least.”

“I am of a mind to bet there are exactly six thousand and six hundred plus forty of them, Sa’Nana.”

“I am of a mind to throttle my husband if I catch him red-handed before my temper is cooled.” Wrapping the shawl tighter around herself, she left in the direction of the door, Elrond following her close behind.

They stepped out into a sea of pink. Galadriel narrowed her eyes as she took notice of the porch of the First Homely House from her position on the porch of the Second Homely House. Elrond initiated his intimidating stare down, but it mattered very little, for none of the occupants of the porch of the First Homely House were noticing them.

“How much longer do you want to wait for him, Ada?” Rumil was standing next to a table that had been positioned off to the side, rows of champagne glasses lining it. Nenniach was busily repositioning the glasses from the edge of the table.

“He’ll be back out soon. He has to leave the house sometime.” Celeborn had a mischievous glint in his eye as he added, “If he doesn’t we can always go in and get him.”

Orophin frowned. “I don’t think we’ll be able to get this up the stairs,” he said. He was holding onto the back of a specially designed wooden chair that Bilbo Baggins sat in much of the time now. It was comfortably padded and easy to fall asleep in, but it also had two large wooden wheels, one on each side, and a handlebar across the back, so that it could be tilted slightly and pushed with the occupant still sitting on it. For now, it had been decorated with ribbons and bows – pink, just like the flamingos. The esteemed Mr. Baggins was currently residing on the porch swing, sleeping as he did quite often these days. On either side sat an elderly hobbit, these two leisurely smoking pipes, watching the scene with amusement. Nearby, a cloaked figure, looking much like an old man and also smoking a pipe, chuckled to himself, then met the stare from Elrond for only a moment, then again dropped his gaze.

“No, but we can certainly get him down the stairs,” Valarda told him.

Elrond slipped back inside the Second Homely House, followed by Galadriel. “What am I to do? They have brought the hobbits, and Mithrandir, and besides which, I have the worst feeling of all about that thing Celeborn was holding.”

Galadriel allowed Elrond to continue his rant a bit longer, nodding at the appropriate parts. “And even my wife! My sweet wife, standing their, and my children, with who knows what else planned for me.” Elrond crossed his arms, irritated and breathing heavily.

“And the birds, do not forget them,” Galadriel reminded him. Elrond rolled his eyes.

“How in the name of Eru did they find that many flamingos in Valinor? The Valar must hate me,” he finally reasoned.

“But your family must love you. I can’t imagine any other rationale for what they’ve done. Unless they’ve all gone mad,” Galadriel told him.

“We both know that is impossible, Sa’Nana,” responded Elrond. “They’ve all been mad for years now.”

Galadriel nodded. “So do we face them, or sneak away while they all watch the front door?”

- - -

“Quick! Places! He’s coming back down!” hissed Orophin. Everyone scurried to his or her specific marks. Once the door opened and the lord of the house emerged, he was showered in white and pink confetti from above, where the twins and Celebdreth had been perched on the roof. “Surprise!” Everyone, including the now awakened Bilbo, applauded as Elrond smiled and shook his head at the group assembled on the porch.

“Considering your age, we thought you might need a little extra rest today,” Celebrian said, leading Elrond over to the decorated chair. He laughed as if he’d not yet seen it, and sat down only after Celebrian threatened that if he did not, she would have to administer a birthday spanking immediately. Orophin stepped up behind the chair and maneuvered it carefully down the stairs onto the lawn, where Elrond now saw that the majority of the flamingos were nothing more but painted cutouts on thick paper.

Rumil walked alongside the chair as Orophin pushed it. “Here’s the best part, though.” As they reached the edge, Elrond found that a fence, consisting of wooden flamingo-shaped panels had been erected around the property, keeping the real flamingos from fleeing.

“The toughest job went to Haldir, really,” admitted Celebrian when Orophin had wheeled Elrond back near the porch, where a number of tables were now being brought out and set up to accommodate food and drink.

Haldir shook his head. “I had little to do with this party.”

“You only say that because you know he will seek revenge and wish to avoid it,” snorted Orophin. “You might as well admit now your part in all this. Besides, you were quite proud of the feat once it was accomplished.”

The eldest brother, unable to hide his smirk, finally confessed. “It was I who placed the flamingos in the house.”

“Charming. I promise you shall know of the vengeance sought against you before such time that it happens so that you might at least be prepared in advance to be humiliated. The rest of you, I think it safe to say, should sleep with one eye open for a while,” warned Elrond.

“We’re elves, peredhil. We sleep with both eyes open.”

“Wait, that…you know full well what I meant, Orophin.”

“Well happy, happy birthday to you, Lord Elrond,” piped up Bilbo from his perch on the porch. “And now if you’ll not mind an old Baggins, I think I shall take a nap before the fireworks this evening.” Elrond waved to the little hobbit, attempting to stand up from the chair to make his way to the porch, but he was pushed back down.

“We don’t want you to waste your energy, now, my lord. In your newly enfeebled state, you might fall and break a hip or something. Best to just stay here,” Orophin suggested.

“Oh, yes…the revenge I seek against you will be most enjoyable, Orophin.”

Orophin grinned. “I look forward to nothing less than your best, my lord.”

Celeborn stepped slowly to where Elrond was, though whether it was to prolong the inevitable, or because he was flanked by a slow-moving hobbit, none could say for sure. When at last he and Frodo reached Elrond in his seat of honor, Celeborn produced a pointed hat covered in fluffy pink feathers and settled it onto Elrond’s head. “A little something for the birthday elf. I must say, I think pink is your color.” Elrond said nothing. Galadriel had already informed him what her birthday gift to him would be, and he relished the thought of it already.

“Happy birthday, dear Lord Elrond, and many more to you,” greeted Frodo. He took in the flamingos, a little confused. “I must ask, either you are quite fond of the bird, or this is some elf ritual I know nothing of.”

All of the elves in the area either grinned or smiled, and Celebrian said, “There is a very silly and peculiar Westron nursery rhyme about elves that I used to recite to Elladan and Elrohir. It was something my father used to say to me when I was young and needed cheering up," explained Celebrian. “Elrond nearly had a fit when he found the boys could manage the entirety of it, yet still struggled with basic arithmetic. He proclaimed it was silly and that none of the song was true.”

“But not anymore! Ada’s verse ten, now!” Elladan giddily raised his glass. “Here’s to year number six thousand six hundred and forty!”

“I must say,” began Elrond after everyone had toasted. “I am happy to know that the chant has only ten verses and that I can no longer be burdened by it. However,” his lips curled into an almost sinister smile. “I have taken a few moments to think about whose birthdays might yet be complicated by this lovely rhyme, and I can delightfully tell you that there will be another such odd birthday celebration before the year is out.”

“Oh, balrog wings! It’s probably me.” Orophin began to busy himself with figuring out how old he was. Elrond said nothing, continuing to grin. Another hobbit approached, leaning on a walking stick.

“How does the rhyme go?” asked Samwise. “If’n you don’t mind my asking?”

“Well, the verse that counts, or the lines pertaining to events right now, goes like this:


If I should ever chance to be

Six thousand six hundred and forty

When I awake I want to see

That many birds beneath my tree

Make them pink and from the sea

All of them shall flock to me

I shall count them all and set them free

Six thousand six hundred and forty.”


Celeborn smirked. “Luckily for me, that is where the poem ends, so I at least know that I needn’t worry about retaliation.”

“I don’t need a rhyme to retaliate, only reason,” said Elrond. He pointed to the pink-feathered hat. “This is reason enough.”

The conversation lulled, and Celebrian seemed to be a bit nervous as she bit her lip, watching the members of the small group mingle with one another. Rumil and Nenniach began passing glasses of champagne out to everyone present, and as soon as the last elf had glass in hand, Celebrian tapped the side of her own glass to gather the attention of everyone.

“I know we’re going to end up having a lovely day of celebration, and a lovely evening of avoiding flamingo droppings,” she began, capturing the laughter of the group. “But I wanted to take a moment not only to personally wish my husband the happiest of birthdays, but also to give him his birthday present.”

“There are children present!” Orophin reminded her, causing more laughter. He then proceeded to use one hand to cover Celebdreth’s eyes, and the other, to cover Celeborn’s, causing more laughter still.

“Elrond, my husband, my lord,” Celebrian gazed lovingly at Elrond, still stuck in the chair with the party hat on, “I can not begin to express the happiness I feel when you are with me and the sorrow for when you are not. We have shared so many things together, and indeed, I hope our adventures together are not yet at an end.”

Elrond smiled. “I doubt they are. I mean, it isn’t as if I’m over seven thousand.”

“You’ll have to do better than that, Elrond,” said Celeborn, countering the insult. “Remember, though I may be over seven millennia, my wife…is…ah…very beautiful and lovely and seems as if my glass is empty and please, Celebrian, dearest, continue, my apologies.” Behind him, Orophin acted out the task of digging a hole.

“As I said, I wanted to give you your birthday present. But I can not.” Celebrian knelt down in front of Elrond, taking his hand into hers. “Not yet.” She placed his hand on her stomach and smiled shyly. “Happy Birthday.”

“I had wondered…I mean, I had hoped…” Elrond said softly. “I was fairly certain…”

“Wait, hold on, that’s old news,” interrupted Orophin. “We knew about this months ago.”

“Truly, we only thought we knew.” Haldir shrugged. “It was my fault. I made it all up so that the nursery would get built.”

“It is a good thing you did,” said Elrond.

Haldir smiled ruefully. “I am sorry. I did not mean to cause such a great deception for so long a time.”

“Deception?” Elrond cleared his throat. “I was never deceived.”

“Were you not?” Celebrian asked, standing once again, but holding onto Elrond’s hand still.

“My dear, for the better part of six thousand six hundred and forty years, I have been a healer. I may not know everything about elvish medicine, but certainly I can tell after a few weeks whether or not an elleth is with child. There are obvious signs.”

“Very obvious signs,” added Galadriel. “Hugely obvious.” She patted her swollen belly with a laugh.

“Well, all’s well that end’s well, then.” Orophin lifted up his glass. “Happy birthday, Elrond, and may the next be not quite so pink.”

“May the next six thousand be not quite so pink,” added Mithrandir as a near-sighted flamingo ran into the wizard’s leg.

The party continued well into the night, ending with one of the fabulously famous fireworks displays. The three brothers sat on the shore, bare feet caressed by the tide as dragons and flying horses lit the night sky.

“Oh, no,” groaned Haldir in sudden realization.

Orophin and Rumil looked at him with alarm as a burst of gold showered the sky above. “What is it?” questioned Orophin.

“Guess how old I’m going to be this year?”

“Oh, no…” Rumil’s words of sympathy came out as a chuckle.

“Ah, yes…verse five, then, isn’t it?” Orophin laughed quietly, then added, “You are in deep trouble, brother.”

“Ai…” groaned Haldir again, hanging his head, as a mist of pink and white sparkles rained down upon them.
Spilt Milk by Zhie
"Dearest, there is a flamingo wandering the halls."

"Yes, I know."

Celebrian prodded the inside of her mouth with her tongue, something she only did when she was on edge or a bit nervous. Usually this occurred most often just before her seemingly practical husband answered in an impractical manner to a question she had yet to ask. "Why is there a flamingo wandering the halls?"

Elrond looked up from his eggs and toast as if he thought the question to be quite odd. "Why wouldn’t a flamingo be wandering the halls?"

Celebrian chewed on the inside of her cheek, something that almost never occurred, except when said seemingly practical husband tried to avoid answering questions in an impractical manner by attempting to avoid them completely. Her sons were also quite familiar with the technique, and often tried to use it, but it took little more than a steady stare, no doubt inherited from her mother, to stop the twins. With Elrond, such things were not so easily managed. "Well there wouldn’t be a flamingo wandering the halls if Haldir hadn’t put it there in the first place."

"Precisely." Back to the eggs and toast.

"You’re just going to let it wander around? Who’s going to clean up after it? Where is it going to sleep?" questioned Celebrian.

"It slept just fine last night in your parents’ room, it appears it knows to go out on the beach when it must find things to eat or to conduct its business, and it is called Mitzi."

Celebrian took a few deep breaths, stifling the sudden urge to scream. "You named the flamingo."

"That I did. It is my house, and it was my birthday, and so I named the flamingo."

Celebrian closed her eyes, pushing back her chair. She slammed her napkin onto the tabletop, and although it made little noise, Elrond feigned surprise and did a bit of a hop in his seat for theatrics. "Something wrong, my lady wife?"

"Not a thing, my lord husband, not a thing," she said, rather unconvincingly through clenched teeth. "If you would but excuse me."

"You need not ask my pardon, dearest." Elrond glanced at Celebrian’s plate. "Are you returning? Your meal is untouched."

"We shall see. I must have a word with my brother at the moment."

"Which one?" asked Elrond. "You have so many, it is difficult to keep track of them."

"The flamingo herder."

"Ah. Please, give Haldir my regards." Elrond continued to eat his breakfast as Celebrian pushed the door open and left.

It was not long before the door once again opened. "Couldn’t find him, dear?"

"Depends, sweetheart," answered a voice lower than Celebrian’s. "Who was I looking for?"

Elrond truly did jump upon his chair this time, and resisted his urge to stick his tongue out at the intruder as he had oft seen many others in his house do. "I thought you were Celebrian. My apology."

Haldir quirked a brow. "I knew there was some family resemblance, but it was usually Rumil whom could convincingly wear a dress and look the part of an elleth." He walked to the pantry, retrieving the pitcher of milk. Soon, he was sitting across from Elrond in his sister’s former place.

The peredhil looked at Haldir oddly. "For what purpose was Rumil ever wearing a dress?"

Haldir grinned, but did not say. He slowly drank from his glass, careful not to spill any with the smirk he still wore. Elrond opened his mouth, thinking to press the issue, but then a most wonderful idea came to him.

Throughout the entire night, he had been formulating his plot against Haldir. His biggest problem was that even with the house being his, if he had to guess where loyalties were to lie, the majority would side with the smug blond elf sitting across the table from him. For whatever reason, his cocky attitude made him likable. Elrond had to admit; Haldir was a pleasant addition to the house. However, that didn’t make up for the fact he had awoken to more than a dozen flamingos in his house, not to mention all of the ones on the lawn.

If, however, there were certain things that the others didn’t want revealed, such might convince them to help out when the time came. Rumil in a dress. Haldir still wasn’t saying anything, although he was looking a bit uneasy now. Which gave him yet another idea.

"Something wrong, mellon?"

"No..." Haldir narrowed his eyes. Elrond calling him friend was a strange thing. Both ‘brother’ and ‘young one’ he had grown accustomed to, but not ‘friend’.

Elrond said nothing more, letting his eyes look back down at his plate. When he knew Haldir was still watching but pretending not to, Elrond let himself glance to the milk pitcher. Haldir followed the gaze, eyes further narrowed as he sniffed at his glass of milk.

Elrond looked at him, showing great concern. "You look troubled."

"Should I be?" Haldir pulled the pitcher over, and looked over the top into the ceramic container. "Alright, what did you do to it?"

"I? Nothing." Elrond looked astonished. "Your imagination, Haldir, I must say." But he didn’t say. He bit into his toast, chewing as he watched Haldir continue to examine both his glass and the pitcher.

"Did you put something into it? Let it sit out to spoil?"

"How absurd, that you would think I would do such a thing simply to put you ill at ease, Haldir." Elrond bit into his toast again, and this time, as he chewed, was unable to keep his lips from curling into a shrewd smile.

Haldir rolled his eyes as if he was not sitting across from a great elf lord, but a mischievous elfling. Picking up his glass, he made his way across the room to the slop bucket in the corner used to gather scraps for the few animals that were kept in the vicinity of the First Homely House.

"Haldir, what are you doing?" Haldir looked up in alarm from where he was upon hearing Celebrian’s scolding voice.

"I was... I am... " Haldir held up his glass. "I was uncertain about the milk."

Celebrian clucked at him. "The milk is fine, O finicky one. The goat was milked just this morning. The pitcher is fresh. I believe the twins were the ones to do so, I could ask them if you are still unsure."

"Actually," spoke up Elrond, "I did the milking this morning. It is indeed fresh."

Behind Celebrian’s back, Haldir’s eyes widened, as all of the possibilities came to his mind of what could have been done to the liquid in his glass. He blinked the look away as his sister turned to address him. "There, you see? Now, you’ve had half the glass already and you’ll drink the rest there. I won’t see it wasted." At the table, Elrond was now grinning like mad at Haldir, who had no choice but to painstakingly drink every last drop from the glass.

"See, now, you silly elf. It didn’t kill you, did it?" Celebrian sat herself back at the table, where Elrond resumed his composure.

"Not yet, it hasn’t," mumbled Haldir, setting the empty glass in the bin to be washed.

"Join us for breakfast?" offered Elrond, motioning to the bowl of scrambled eggs with mushroom.

"I believe I have had quite enough this morning, thank you, mellon." Haldir nodded to his sister and brother-in-law as he left the room.

"What was all that about?" questioned Celebrian. Elrond shrugged. "He surely acts strange some days."

"Shock of war," said Elrond matter-of-factly. "I was myself affected after the Last Alliance, I can only imagine the troubles poor Haldir has. Didn’t you wish to speak with him?" he added.

"I thought I was going to have to," said Celebrian, "but I spoke with mother."

"And?"

Celebrian sighed, buttering her now cold toast. "And she told me she was the one who wanted to keep the flamingo. Elrond nodded, returning to his breakfast. Celebrian paused for a bit, simply eating, and enjoying the company of her husband, going so far as to capture his attention by sliding her slippered foot slowly up his thigh. He briefly glanced at her with a half-hidden smile as if she were merely a naughty young elleth that he was not about to scold.

Elrond navigated one hand under the table to capture her wandering foot, kneading it but keeping it a safe distance away as he used his other hand to finish his breakfast. Celebrian frowned and began concentrating once again on her own breakfast, tongue in cheek between bites.

"Mitzi?"

Elrond looked up abruptly. "Did you just call me Mitzi?"

"No, silly elf, the flamingo." Celebrian chewed at the inside of her cheek. "Why Mitzi?"

Elrond looked at her in disbelief, as if it was the most common name of the Fourth Age. "Why not?"

Rumil chose that moment to come into the room, pausing to say his greetings, and then sat down, helping himself to some of the egg and mushroom mix. After fetching a glass, he poured a rather tall glass of milk, laughing with Celebrian regarding the previous day’s events.

As Celebrian finished her meal, Elrond decided to help himself to another serving. As soon as his wife left the room, Elrond tried to think of the best way to approach Rumil about helping him. True, he might be able to enlist him without the use of blackmail. Rumil, though not so much as Orophin, was still a bit of a rogue himself. Likely, any plan to trick or trap one of his brothers in an odd and silly situation was something Rumil would partake in. But having the advantage of knowing something Rumil wouldn’t want revealed, that would make things all the more easy.

Rumil stood up, carrying the pitcher to the pantry. "Are you well, Lord Elrond?" Rumil, long the pupil of Elrond, and ever still learning things from his mentor, hardly felt at ease calling him less than with full title. Elrond shook his head at the young elf, and Rumil gave a smile before heading into the pantry.

Elrond shook his head. He just didn’t feel right about doing such an underhanded thing to sweet little Rumil, little Rumil whom he had once even held in his arms as he had done with his own sons. Rumil, who hadn’t, to his knowledge, ever tried such stunts as filling his saddlebags with honey or putting leeches in his drinking water, feats the older brothers had indeed attempted. It was the kind of thing Haldir or Orophin would do, but not he. He would not be the one to upset poor Rumil.

Rumil reemerged. The pitcher was gone, but he was still holding his glass, full again with the goat milk. "You seem deep in thought, my Lord," Rumil said cheerfully.

"That I am," Elrond said sadly, his eyes focused on Rumil with a look of pity.

Rumil crinkled his brow. "If I might guess, it appears you are thinking of something to do with me."

"It is... it is nothing, really," Elrond said, waving it off. "Something Haldir mentioned this morning at breakfast, and I am of a mind to forget it."

Rumil’s face darkened. "What did Haldir say?"

"Please, Rumil..."

"What did he say?" demanded Rumil.

Elrond folded his hands before him, sighing in the same manner as someone about to hand down sentence. "He... mentioned the, ah, the dress incident."

Rumil’s mouth gaped wide open, as did his eyes, but the biggest show of shock was in the fact that the glass of milk had dropped from his hand. The pieces lay shattered at his feet and the floor was splashed white. Elrond grabbed up a couple of the cloth napkins from the table and headed for Rumil.

"I am terribly, terribly sorry, Rumil," said Elrond, mopping at the mess.

"He promised he wouldn’t tell a single soul!" Rumil gathered up the shards from the floor. "He promised and Oro promised, but I always expected Oro to say something, but never in all the world Halli. Stupid elf," Rumil muttered, setting the pieces onto the counter. "I only did it because of him, he wanted to know how to make lembas, and he’s not much like an elleth that he could have tried to sneak in to find out. He's not even much like an elf, sometimes, that orc!" fumed Rumil, stooping back down to clean up the floor. His lip was quivering, and Elrond saw now that he had been ranting in an attempt to cover up the few stray tears.

"Oh, Rumil, I am really, terribly, and truly sorry." Elrond stopped his attempt to sop up the milk and reached out to give Rumil a hug. He couldn’t believe now he’d even thought to say the words he had said. It would have been simpler just to ask for his assistance, and he was certain he would have received it. "Rumil, I have to admit, I knew not what the incident was, only the part about the dress. I did in fact deceive you, I admit."

Rumil wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his tunic. "Did he tell you, though? Was it Haldir?"

Elrond nodded slowly.

"Then he broke his promise," Rumil said simply. He completed the task of cleaning up the floor, and then turned to Elrond. "You want to get back at him and you thought that would help me to help you."

Elrond bowed his head in shame.

Rumil couldn’t help but smile a little. "Orophin did that all the time to get me to help him do things to Haldir. Celebrian even used that tactic. Worked most of the time, too." Rumil contemplated the soaked napkin for a moment. "Looks like it still works."

Elrond shook his head. "No, this was wrong of me. I do not expect you to assist me in my revenge."

Rumil grinned. "I would be most aggrieved if you were not to allow me to aid in any way possible." He tossed the damp cloth onto the counter, slinging his arm around Elrond’s shoulder. "But first, I must have your word that you will not attempt to seek vengeance against me."

Elrond nodded. "Of course."

"Excellent." Rumil’s smile broadened. "I think the next one we need to enlist is Nana. She is not one we want on his side when we begin to plot." Elrond nodded again. "And there are so many things we can blackmail her with, trust me upon this. This time, however, you will have to stand your ground. You caved in much too easily with me."

Elrond furrowed his brow. "You mean to say that was all an act?"

"Not in the least," said Rumil, a little hurt, "but you still gave in much too easily. We can not go soft on her," warned Rumil.

"Why, Rumil," laughed Elrond, "you are quite slyer than I ever would have imagined."

A light twinkled in Rumil’s eyes. "Who do you think it was that came up with the flamingo idea in the first place?"
Elven Hours in a Carriage by Zhie
"We are going to need three carriages total," explained Rumil to Elrond. "That is the minimum we can travel in." He drew four boxes and segmented each into four parts by drawing a cross in each of them. "Your sons will never travel alone, so they are going to end up in the same carriage." Rumil wrote Elladan's name in one of the smaller boxes with Elrohir's in the next spot.

"Of course, we shall be in the same coach, with your mother, and Orophin." Elrond waited while Rumil filled in all of the boxes for the next carriage. "We could place Celebdreth into the first coach, along with Haldir."

"Not a chance," Rumil said, shaking his head. "That leaves my father with the rest of the ladies, and I am not about to subject Nenniach to his foul jokes the entire ride."

"Valarda and Celebrian would be with her," Elrond reminded him.

"Valarda and Celebrian are worse than he!" exclaimed Rumil. "At least he only retells the jokes. The two of them make up their own."

Elrond thought on this. "Quite true," he finally answered. "Well, we could put Nenniach and Valarda into the coach with the twins, and Haldir would be stuck with the three Celebs…"

Rumil grinned. "That would surely annoy him."

"Wait." Elrond placed his hand over Rumil's before the names could be written. "We can use this to our advantage twice. Let us place your father and Celebdreth into the carriage with the twins."

Rumil's smile grew wicked. "Excellent. Now," continued Rumil, filling in the spaces, "we need only figure a way to get everyone to the predetermined spots during our journey to Thranduil's."

"Leave that part to myself, and our trusty well-bred minions," joked Elrond.

- - -

"Allow me to assist you, Gra'nana." Celebdreth pulled the door to the coach open and held a hand out for Galadriel.

Galadriel smiled softly and took his hand, using him to gain extra balance as she maneuvered into the carriage. ‘Five month.' She thought to herself, trying to find a comfortable position. ‘Everything downhill from here.' She truly was enjoying every moment of this pregnancy, perhaps more so than she had with Celebrian because she didn't have the fear in the back of her mind that she had the first time she was with child. The seemingly constant travel was beginning to make her weary, however, and she glanced out the window to see where Celeborn had gone to. "Celebdreth, do you see your grandfather anywhere?"

Celebdreth waved in the direction of another carriage, drawn by two black horses, as were the rest. "Elladan asked if he would ride in the carriage with us."

"I see." Galadriel frowned, wondering if it was the intention of Elrond to ride with his brothers-in-law while the ladies shared a coach, leaving the last for the grandchildren and her husband. She saw this was not the case when Elrohir helped his mother and aunts into the last of the coaches.

Celebdreth looked around the horses in alarm. "My pardon, but I must see if everything is in order with the other coaches. Safe journey, to you, Gra'nana." Celebdreth slid the bolt on the side of the door and then ran to the carriage he would be in, moments before Haldir strode up to it.

Galadriel watched the exchange with amusement as Celebdreth shook his head repeatedly to Haldir, whose arms were pointing and waving about. The door on the other side of her own carriage opened. She watched as Rumil and Elrond practically shoved Orophin in before climbing aboard. "Everyone ready, then?" asked Elrond hurriedly as he shut the door tight and reached over the window to fasten the lock. He leaned out a bit further, giving instruction to the horses.

Outside, Haldir turned to see the first carriage in motion. Celebdreth did not waste this opportunity, and he climbed aboard his own coach, waving to Haldir as he slammed the door. This caused the horses to lurch and follow off after the first carriage.

"They wouldn't have dared... " Haldir said to himself darkly, but he knew in fact, they, whomever they were, had. There was only one coach left, and he approached it cautiously, the scent of lilac and jasmine wafting through the air from it. His eyes closed as he approached and he listened to the giggling and whispering from within.

There were two ways to approach the situation, as Haldir saw it. The first was to climb onto the coach, shut the door, and remain perfectly silent for the next eleven hours as the horses took them to their destination. On the other hand, he suspected this was not a random occurrence, but part of a devious plan likely constructed by Orophin or Rumil or Elrond, or some combination of the three. Brothers always tended to make the day interesting. His other option, therefore, was to be charming and witty and pretend that he was not bothered in the least at being stuck in a carriage for the better part of the day with the ladies. Which, he most definitely was.

"Are you coming aboard, or would you care to walk to the gathering?" Haldir opened his eyes to see that Celebrian was hanging out the window watching him. Nenniach and Valarda were peering over her shoulders, also with their eyes on him.

"It is such a lovely day, perhaps... " He stopped when Celebrian shouted to the horses and they began to trot forward. Haldir leaped for the carriage, but it was out of his range by then with three laughing ellyth pointing at him from the window, hands covering their mouths in mock modesty. Haldir made another unsuccessful lunge, this time for the bridle of the nearest steed, but his attempt was only half-hearted, knowing they would not think to leave him here.

Haldir watched as the horses slowly circled away and then back again. Valarda reached over the window to unlock the other door and pushed it open. "Come on, Hirband Arabeleg, stop fooling around and come along!" She crouched down on the floor, shifting toward the stairs that extended along the side. Holding her hand to him as they came closer, Valarda waited until Haldir caught it and jumped onto the steps before pulling him up into the coach. The door was shut tightly, and the laughing diminished.

"Many thanks, my good lady," smiled Haldir, sitting down across from Valarda. Nenniach was next to him, his sister in the other seat. On the floor between these two was a sewing bag, practically bursting with small projects that had been started and would likely never be finished. Valarda picked up a book she had marked from a stack between herself and Celebrian and opened it again, nodding to Haldir.

"What is it you are going to busy yourself with during the trip, Haldir?" Nenniach was picking through the contents of the bag, pulling from it many glittering coils of colored thread. Celebrian was already busily stitching a pattern of gold upon a pile of burgundy that sat in her lap.

"I do not know," admitted Haldir. "I placed my bag in another carriage, thinking I would ride with the twins and Celebdreth. Sadly, I think it is up to the three of you to entertain me for the time being, until we take the break at noonday when I can retrieve it." Thranduil's residence was some ways from shore, and was in fact not his home, but the house of Oropher. When Greenwood's first king was released from the halls of waiting, it was his choice to be reborn in Valinor. It was here that he built a great palace with the intent of housing those from his forest realm who had fought and died with him. Many did reside there, including his son, Thranduil, when he had arrived in Valinor. It could accommodate many more, and would be the venue for both the family reunion Thranduil had planned, as well as the upcoming gathering of the royals of Arda. Because of the distance, a stop was planned halfway for rest and a meal before continuing to the final destination.

"Well, we can always teach you to sew if you become bored by conversation alone," offered Nenniach with a grin.

"Too late, my Nana has beat you to that," Haldir said. "Although I am not able to embroider very well, I can mend my socks and sew a decent pair of trousers."

"Impressive. For an ellon," Nenniach said, and indeed, she was impressed. "Perhaps Valarda has something you can do."

Valarda looked up from her reading. "Only if he wants to learn how to birth elflings. I'm currently on chapter eight of ‘A Guide to Midwifing'."

"I do not plan to midwife any time soon, but then, it is a topic I know very little about," Haldir said, forcing himself to sound calm.

Valarda didn't buy the act, narrowing her eyes. "There are diagrams, too." She flipped the book around, showing Haldir a very graphic sketch. Instead of recoiling, as she had expected him to, he looked genuinely interested in the picture he was shown. Valarda frowned and turned the book back just as Haldir reached for it, flipping to another part. "That one was nothing, really. Take a look at this." She shoved the book toward him again, holding it open to another of the diagrams.

Haldir peered at it with interest, and a little bit of worry, taking the book from Valarda's hands. "Poor Celebrian, is this truly what you had to contend with?"

"And I as well, let us not forget!" laughed Nenniach. "Though once was enough for me, I dare say."

Haldir shook his head. "No, not just having an elfling, which I did not doubt was uncomfortable-"

"Uncomfortable!" Nenniach crossed her arms in a huff. "It's downright painful at times! Not that I would trade it for arrow wounds and an axe in the back," she said, somewhat apologizing to Haldir, "but we spend a year in agony, compared to your single day on the battlefield."

Haldir decided not to begin a dispute on the topic, considering he was vastly outnumbered. Even with one of his former wardens in the group, he dared not test whether Valarda was more a soldier or more an elleth at the moment. Instead, he lifted the book, displaying it to Celebrian. "With twins, is it really that... crowded?"

"By the Valar, yes, it most definitely was!" she told him, and Haldir was surprised as she laughed about it. "Not only did they take up so much space, but they refused to let go of one another when they were supposed to be born! Did you know, that due to their stubborn nature, the only thing to this day they do not share is their day of birth?"

"I had no idea," said Haldir.

"Ai, it is true." Celebrian smiled at the memory. "Elrond did his best, but in the end, only time persuaded them. Elladan first, and Elrohir nearly right after, but by then, the moon was hailing midnight. Arwen, I am happy to say, was not only smaller than her brothers, but also came at the moment she was supposed to. Best of all, she came alone." The ladies laughed, and Haldir watched them with interest, and also delight, thinking that this was not normally the sort of talk he would have heard.

"Well, the elf appears to be enjoying himself, I must say." Valarda chose another book from her stack. "What about cooking, Haldir? Fancy learning a few hobbit recipes?"

"I'd rather read this first book you offered," he said, turning to the beginning of the book, "but I am not adverse to reading a cookbook."

"Halli likes to cook, although I have always suspected he did it so that he could be the taste tester," Celebrian informed them. "He used to help Nana all the time."

Nenniach looked up from her task in wonder. "He cooks, he sews, and I know he keeps tidy for I have seen his room. Why, Celebrian, I think we might be able to fetch a high price for this one."

"Ah, but the face," joked Celebrian in true sisterly fashion, "'tis one only a mother could love."

"What, this face?" Valarda reached forward, pinching Haldir's now reddening cheek. "True, only a mother might love it, but whose mother might? His own mother or the mother of his elflings?"

Haldir shook his head at the laughter, shifting to lean out the window and look at the scenery. He felt a hand upon his knee, and saw that Valarda was wearing a look of true apology. "I am sorry, Hirband, I did not mean for that to upset you."

"I am not upset," he replied, patting her hand until it slid away. "I merely had a brief thought of things that may have been is all."

Celebrian looked back down at her sewing. "Do not think of what might have been, but of what will be. There are plenty of ellyth in Valinor, my brother, and it is your luck that most do not yet know your reputation."

It was Haldir's turn to laugh now. "Oh, and I suppose you have great confidence that Orophin and Rumil have not yet begun to spread rumors about my ‘reputation', whatever it may be."

"Worry not about your brothers, but of your nephews. They are the ones out at night with the time to cause such mischief," warned Celebrian.

"What reputation is this that you speak of?" asked Nenniach as she threaded her needle. "We worried that he could not be trained, and yet it seems he already is. He is polite, growls only half the time, and is easy on the eyes." To this, Haldir once again turned red, but said nothing. "Not as pretty as my dear Rumil, I might add, but I do not see what could possibly be wrong with him."

Haldir ground his teeth, waiting to see if either Celebrian or Valarda were going to comment. When they didn't, he sighed in defeat, and said, "I talk in my sleep."

"You what?"

"Well, first, I sleep. That seems to put every elleth I have ever been with on edge. Imagine waking up next to the Captain of the Galadhrim only to see that his eyes are closed."

"If it is all the same to you," piped up Celebrian, "I would rather not imagine that."

"I have had a few of them scream or faint, thinking me to be dead," he continued, ignoring his sister's comment. "Second, if I do go so far as to sleep, I begin to speak-"

"Mumble," interrupted Valarda. "It's mumbling, not speaking."

"I begin to mumble," corrected Haldir, "and say silly things, none of which I remember-"

"Actually, there's very little coherency to it," Valarda said, interrupting once again. "Sometimes names, or places, sometimes strings of words that have nothing to do with one another. Different languages, too, elvish and westron, and sometimes dwarvish or orc tongue."

Valarda looked back to Haldir waiting for him to finish, but he sat now with his arms crossed to his chest. "Please, if you'd like to tell them about it.

"Well, I have heard it before. I am quite familiar with your night babbling. You, on the other hand, can only learn what you have said secondhand." Valarda glanced at Nenniach, whose brow was raised slightly. "I've heard it," she said pointedly, "because of sharing watch on the borders with him, not whatever it is that your imagination is telling you."

"I might believe you, except for the way he blushes so whenever you mention the topic." As if on cue, Haldir's cheeks glowed and the tips of his ears became red.

"I think he just does that no matter who is making such comments," guessed Valarda.

They paused for a bit, each concentrating on their selected tasks for a time. Nenniach finally turned to look at Haldir, and once she had his attention, said, "Rumil drools."

"What?" Haldir couldn't help but laugh at this sudden revelation.

"He drools, when he is sleeping. All over the pillow," she added, spreading her arm about. "I make him tie his hair back before bed, or it would be matted in the morning. So you see, dear Haldir, if you think your sleep talking is what has kept you from a wife all these years, it simply cannot be. All I can think of is that you just have not been introduced to the right ones. A situation easily remedied." Before Nenniach could begin playing matchmaker, Celebrian interjected with her own story.

"Elrond snores." Celebrian heaved a sigh, as if a great weight of many years had lifted from her. "I pinch his nose. I try to push him to his side. Sometimes, I even pull the sheet over his head, but nothing works. It is an endearing quality, though, in some way, reminding me of what part of him is, and of what he gave up. I do not think that choice was an easy one for him to make, nor would it be for any half-elf."

"What does Orophin do?" prodded Nenniach.

"Orophin... what doesn't he do?" snickered Valarda. She closed her book and thought. "Well, he does get a bit grabby sometimes."

"Sometimes? I have seen no other elf who is less discreet," scolded Nenniach. "I meant, what is his ‘flaw'. He must have some sort of oddity about him."

"Mmm... " Valarda thought on it a little longer. "No, I am sorry, all I am able to come up with is that he has grabby hands, and even that I do not consider a flaw. No, I am sorry, he is just a perfect elf."

"There is nothing? Nothing at all?" Celebrian could not believe Valarda's assessment.

"No. Nothing," Valarda said.

"Do not worry, there is still time for him to develop something." Celebrian bit the end of the thread and examined her work. "I wonder what sort of trouble they are getting themselves into at the moment."

"You do realize your husbands are riding with my mother, do you not?" Haldir informed them.

Valarda looked at Haldir curiously. "Why didn't you go with them? We would have been more than happy to accommodate Galadriel."

"Obviously, there is something afoot," deduced Nenniach. "Rumil has been very secretive as of late."

"Elrond as well," mused Celebrian. "Dear brother, I believe you are being plotted against."

"By my own family? Never," Haldir grinned.

"Well, now, this isn't right!" Nenniach threw her sewing into her lap and addressed the rest of the group. "I am rather upset that they are using us as part of their scheme."

Celebrian patted her arm. "It isn't as if much can be done about it."

Nenniach furrowed her brow, surveying the inside of the coach. "Oh, yes, there is!" she smirked conspiratorially. Into the sewing bag she dug, until she found a length of dark fabric. "Alright, ladies... and Haldir... it is time to see if our sewing skills are up to snuff. There is work to be done!"

- - -

Elrond stepped out of the coach, satisfied that he had two more accomplices, and likely a third. Although the blackmail approach had not worked on Galadriel, it had done wonders on Orophin. After they were on their way, Elrond had smugly produced a number of drawings and letters written in the second age for his brother-in-law's perusal. The pictures, obviously drawn by an elfling, depicted a red-haired elleth performing numerous housekeeping tasks. The accompanying text, read to the group by Elrond, was no doubt amusing. Whoever had written them had their mind set upon being a lady of the court with no less than a dozen elflings. Orophin nearly choked when he saw the signature.

"Valarda?! These are hers?" Orophin began to study the pictures in greater detail now, noting familiar trees from Lothlorien in the scenery. "You cannot be serious!"

For the sake of his wife, Orophin reluctantly joined the Order of the Elves Against Haldir. Knowing of Valarda's pride, rejection of most things feminine, and wrath if such pictures or letters were to become common knowledge, Orophin also promised to enlist his wife in the venture.

Rumil's plan to ensnare Galadriel did not work as anticipated. Each and every rumor was met with shrugs and yawns. "Rumil, my sweet one, there is not a thing I have done that could surprise anyone more than the horrific thing I did that all know of."

In a panicked final attempt, Rumil simply asked her to be a party to the plot against Haldir. Galadriel shook her head, but a glint in her eye told them there was still some hope. "I will do nothing to poor Haldir, for he will have enough to contend with worrying what the three of you will do. I will, however, make good on my promise to you, Elrond. The pink-feathered hat my husband made you wear was absolutely unacceptable, and I do intend to... explain that to him. If that…... explanation... happens to be in the form of whatever revenge you have planned for Haldir, then so be it."

Elrond frowned as the second carriage approached, for no sign was shown that the third coach was nearby. He walked up to Celeborn as the elf lord stepped down from the carriage. "Did you see if the last coach was having any problems?"

"None that I could tell." Celeborn shaded his eyes, looking to the East. "Let us set up, and by then, they should reach us, or I shall take a horse back and see what is keeping them."

A large blanket was spread out on the ground and was quickly laden a number of picnic items. As those already present made an attempt to find a comfortable spot against a tree or on the grass, the third carriage arrived, pulled lazily along by the black horses.

"It is about time," Elrond said under his breath. He cocked his head to one side, examining the carriage. "Did ours have curtains on it, Rumil?" he asked, louder now. Rumil shook his head, watching the coach warily.

The door opened slowly, and Celebrian took her time exiting. She was slightly flushed, hiding her face with a fan, which she waved furiously at herself. Elrond took a step forward, but Celebrian, taking note of his approach, rushed over to his side.

"Celebrian, are you well?" asked Elrond, placing a hand to her forehead. She seemed to be paling once again, but also looked a bit out of breath.

"Quite well, thank you," she said, wrapping her arm around Elrond's. "What is there for lunch?" Before her husband answered, the door of the coach creaked, and Nenniach slipped down the steps. Unlike Celebrian, she was utterly composed - with the exception of her hair, which was unusually loose and a bit... damp.

Rumil looked upon her suspiciously, but if Nenniach noticed it, she did not reply. "Have you found us a nice spot to eat?" she asked him. Rumil nodded, turning his attention back to the carriage.

Valarda was less discreet than her companions, clomping down the steps. Although her hair remained perfect, and she neither panted nor looked flushed, she was hastily retying her tunic and making a bit of a deal out of it. Orophin rolled his eyes in an apologetic manner of sorts, walking forward to retrieve his wife, when he noticed she was not wearing her own boots. Or her own tunic.

Orophin assessed her with one long look from head to toe. "Dare I ask what happened to your own clothing?"

"It is in there somewhere," she said, waving her hand toward the coach.

Orophin sighed. "Oh, come along. I am not going to be bothered with this prank now."

"Prank? What are you talking about?"

Orophin narrowed his eyes. "Just come along now, Valarda." Orophin reached forward to taker her hand, but stopped, noticing something behind her.

Valarda looked around her shoulder, seeing Haldir leaning casually in the doorway of the carriage. He no longer wore his tunic, or his boots, and appeared to be quite comfortable even though he was both barefooted and bare-chested. Raising one hand to her lips, Valarda blew him a kiss, and for once, the former captain didn't blush or look away. Instead, he smirked with satisfaction and started down the steps.

"Oh, lovely. Elleth, I swear, you're going to drive me mad yet." Orophin did take her hand now, determined to find a spot far from everyone else, but especially Haldir. At least now, he had something to get back at Haldir for, which put him somewhat at ease about going along with Elrond's plans.

Celeborn stepped next to Haldir, clearing his throat. Haldir paused, turning his head to regard his father. "That was indeed a joke, was it not? Something to amuse yourself with?"

"Please, Ada, I don't know what you are talking about."

"I am speaking of those three ladies who just left the carriage you shared and the state they were in."

"Ada," said Haldir, a shocked tone to his voice, "we were merely relaxing in the coach, for it is a warm day, and a long ride."

Celeborn shook his head, placing a hand on Haldir's shoulder. "I will then assume it was indeed a joke, and congratulate you, for the look on the faces of your brothers and Elrond was priceless. And if it was not a joke," Celeborn dropped his voice lower, "then I still congratulate you!"

Haldir chuckled and joined his parents beneath a tree for lunch.

- - -

As the blankets were being refolded and placed into the baggage hold of the nearest coach, Celeborn retrieved Galadriel's travel bag from the carriage she had been in. "Celebrian has asked your mother to travel with her for the remainder of the trip," he explained, placing the bag into the remodeled coach.

"I suppose that will mean Haldir is to come with us now," Rumil whispered to Elrond.

"Good. I plan to have a discussion with him about proper carriage-riding procedures and the value of not even pretending to lay a hand on another elf's wife." Elrond had been civil through lunch, but it was obvious the episode that had occurred had somewhat upset him. "Especially in the cases when that elleth is not only someone else's wife, but also your sister."

"Where is he then?" asked Rumil, noting that everyone else appeared to be in their coaches now. "Orophin," Rumil called, sticking his head into their carriage, "have you seen Haldir about?"

"Last I saw him, he was over by his coach," Orophin said, pointing.

Elrond shook his head. "That can't be. Galadriel is riding in it now, there is no room." The trio exchanged glances and then sprinted over to the ladies' carriage. Elrond rapped on the wooden door, and a hand drew back the newly placed curtain slightly.

"Is it time already to commence?" Haldir was quite serious as he asked his question, but behind him, giggling rose up from the others inside. He still had nothing covering his upper body, and at some point back to the carriage had ended up with a rose tucked behind his ear. Placing his folded arms on the window sill, he rested his head upon them. "The horses are ready as soon as you like, and the ladies are even more so."

"Haldir, this is no longer amusing." Elrond's arms were crossed, and his brow was raised in a most intimidating manner despite the laughter coming from the coach.

"What is no longer amusing, Lord Elrond?" The giggling became louder.

"Do not make me spell it out, Haldir. There are ellyth present."

Haldir suddenly appeared shocked. "Lord Elrond! I still do not know what it is you insist is going on, but I am quite taken aback to think you believe it is happening in here."

"Haldir, this is becoming ridiculous," said Rumil. "The thoughts I had throughout lunch were bad enough, considering my wife was there with you, but now you have Nana in there, too, and that just isn't right."

The curtain was drawn back a bit from the other side of the same door, and Galadriel smiled out at them. "Worry not, Rumil. I have come only to watch." The carriage lurched forward, causing the three elves next to it to back away, all of them groaning to some extent. Haldir leaned out of the window when they were a few yards off, waving dramatically and blowing kisses before he slipped back inside.
Plague of Valinor by Zhie
“I feel like...” Haldir paused, smiling at the pair of ellyth that approached, their smug looks causing him to scowl once they’d passed by.

“Like cattle at the market?” offered Elrohir, relaxing from the grin he had flashed them.

“Like the plague of Valinor?” guessed Elladan, sipping his drink. He had stopped being cordial after the third or fourth group had looked upon the three standing near the wall in distaste. His brother and Haldir turned to him, both of them confused. “Apparently, neither of you were aware of our lower status here.” He motioned from himself to his brother and back again.

Haldir shook his head and frowned, glancing back to where the ellyth were. “You mean to tell me the reason so many are reluctant to approach us is because you are half-elven?”

Elladan slapped Haldir on the back. “You’ve won the big prize tonight, uncle. Elrohir, tell him what he wins.”

Elrohir hung his head, embarrassed that he hadn’t realized sooner. “Well, if he stays with us, a blank dance card and no one to warm his bed.” Elrohir smiled sadly to Haldir. “Go on then, uncle, you might as well shift away from us so your evening isn’t entirely spoiled.”

“No, I shall do no such thing.” Haldir looked bitterly upon others that had shunned them, wondering how anyone could have such an attitude. “In fact, I am of a mind to demand why they think in such a vulgar manner.”

“Uncle, please.” Elladan nearly put his hand upon Haldir’s arm, but decided against it. “Elrohir and I have each other, and that is enough for us. Damn the rest of the world, that’s how we’ve always seen it. You should have a bit of fun while you are here, get to know some of the others.”

“If this is how they act, I am of a mind to forget them completely,” Haldir told them venomously.

Thranduil’s gathering was oddly planned, in Haldir’s mind. The afternoon began with singing and dancing inside Oropher’s Great Hall, and would continue well into the evening, with dinner to commence shortly outside as the sun set. Haldir was not looking forward to dinner if he was to endure more of the same treatment outside as he had in. In fact, he would have been satisfied to leave at that very moment, had his father not had something planned to follow the dinner.

“Seriously, I look less like an elf than either of you,” continued Haldir. “If anything, it is I who should be considered a... breeding hazard,” he finished the rest of his drink, hoping to find stronger wine at dinner.

“Perhaps, they think you to be a half-elf as well,” Elrohir said apologetically.

“El, please, they would have to be blind to think that,” Elladan countered, and it was true. The pile of burgundy cloth that Celebrian had worked on during the journey was in fact a tunic that presented Haldir, for the first time he could ever remember, in the rank and house he belonged. Unless anyone counted the dark red cape he had worn to the battle at Helm’s Deep. He shivered at the memory. “Something the matter, uncle?”

“No, nothing,” said Haldir, “I just-“

He was interrupted by the sound of a horn calling everyone to the outdoor feast. “A classic, first age affair!” Thranduil had announced to them when they had arrived. “Not to be missed, and not to be forgotten!”

Haldir couldn’t remember seeing so many candles, so much color and light, and never so much food. Not even at his coronation for his brief time ruling Greenwood could he recall such lavishness, nor at the wedding of Elrond and Celebrian. He walked with the twins around the tables, looking to find their place cards. “Here we are, El!” Elladan said gleefully, holding up a large leaf that had been placed upon a plate. On the dark green, written in golden ink, was Elladan’s name.

Elrohir carefully looked at the leaves around the table. “There must be some mistake, El. My name is not here.”

Just at that moment, Celeborn happened by and heard them speaking. “Elrohir, I believe I noted your name near the other end.” He pointed out a table on the south-eastern end of the front lawn as he continued along.

“Why would they do that to us?” Elrohir asked as soon as Celeborn was out of range to hear him. “El, we’ve always ever eaten together, surely someone must have mentioned that to Thranduil if he did not already know!” His voice was panicked, and Elladan placed a hand upon his shoulder.

“It is a mistake, I am sure of it," Elladan assured him. “They would not knowingly separate us.”

An elleth wearing silver and white, with dark brown hair wandered to the table, smiling as she found her name at a place next to Elladan’s. As she placed a hand onto the back of her chair, Haldir boldly placed his upon it, and she looked up. Her first moment of surprise was well covered as she looked up the elf before her coyly. “I suppose you’re going to show me you’re a respectable elf and pull out the chair for me?”

“Actually,” said Haldir, sliding his hand away and joining it with his other hand in front of him, “I was going to ask a favor of you.”

“Oh?” The elleth smiled prettily. “And what might that favor be, pray tell?”

“Well, I do not know how to explain this, but there has been a mistake,” he said, rather hurriedly before too many others found their way to the table. “My nephews, they are supposed to be at the same table together, and somehow, one of them has been placed over there.” He waved with his hand in the general direction behind him. “So I would be most appreciative if you would be able to relocate to the other table.”

The elleth looked confused. “Why are your nephews supposed to be sitting together?”

“They happen to be twins, and-“

“Elrond’s sons?” she blurted out, her voice was no longer soft and demure. Rather, it was more of a shriek that unsettled a number of guests at nearby tables.

Haldir thought the elleth, whose name he had learned to be Taralawen from the leaf on her plate, seemed a bit unsteady now, and likely would have run away had they not been at such a formal event. Looking around Haldir, she now saw the identical pair of elves, and almost retched at the sight. Her face showed her inner turmoil - did she dare help these half-elves, or did she risk sitting next to one the rest of the evening?

The decision was made for her as Elrohir tapped Haldir on the shoulder. “I think I am going to find my seat, uncle. Care to walk with me?” Elladan was settling into his, not bothering to give Taralawen a second look.

Haldir nodded, also deciding to ignore the elleth. As soon as they were at a distance Haldir deemed to be far enough, he slipped into Westron, hoping few around them would understand the words.

“What a bitch!” he exploded, though his voice was low. Elrohir nodded in agreement, grinning despite his mood. “I swear, Elrohir, if she were an ellon or a man, I’d have knocked her out cold for that. Party or no party.”

“You did more than you needed, uncle, and El and I are both very grateful for that. But we have come to the conclusion that we will upset the meals of twice as many elves if we eat at separate tables.”

“Does your father get the same treatment?” Haldir couldn’t help to ask.

“He does, and then again, he does not. I think behind his back many say things they should not, while to his face, they are much more humble. He did a lot of things El and I never did, and his status also helps him.” Elrohir found the table his grandfather had referred them to and circled it, careful of the elves already present. “What did El and I do? Wandered the north playing rangers and inherited Rivendell for all of a quarter century or so. Not exactly the highest accomplishments.” Finding his space, he rested his hands on his chair and switched back to a more common tongue. “Shall we meet after the meal in the hall? Same place again?”

“Only if you and your brother have not already found dance partners,” he said with a wink. He nodded to another elf at the table that was deep in conversation but acknowledged him nonetheless. He felt more at ease knowing Ilmendin would not likely take kindly to any half-elf shunning that might have taken place. At Elladan’s table, Olwe was just about to make himself comfortable. It seemed his nephews would not need to fret much during the meal. Haldir would have skipped; except he remembered what trouble skipping had caused the last time he’d done it and how ridiculous he looked when he skipped.

Haldir did not make it to his own place until nearly everyone else was seated, and in fact, everyone at his table was sitting down. He tried to slip into his chair unnoticed, but the brightly colored clothing Celebrian had made for him prevented that. He was soon drawn into the conversation.

The ellon and ellyth at his table were polite and jolly and he couldn’t help to think throughout the entire meal whether or not they would have acted the same had he been seen by any of them with either of the twins. He was in an unexplainable bad temper by the time he began walking back to the hall. Elrohir and Elladan were sitting at the top of the steps, neither of them seeming all too happy, either.

“Come on, let’s take a bit of a stroll around first to walk off some of the meal,” suggested Haldir. The twins hopped up from their perch and quickly were at the foot of the steps. Neither felt like telling Haldir they had very little to walk off. They were silent as they encircled the massive structure, admiring the architecture.

“I hope Adar doesn’t think he has to build up the house to something of this size,” Elrohir said, finally breaking the silence.

“There is a difference between our home and this one.” Said Elladan. “Ours is made for living in. This is meant to be impressive-looking, but I have a feeling a fit would be had if anyone were to bring a flamingo into this house or not wipe their feet before entering.” Elrohir nodded in agreement.

Haldir looked up at the towering palace, taking in the many windows, turrets, and balconies. A number of elves had retired to various places and could be seen in the dim light of the moon. “I do not like it,” he finally said. “I would prefer a cave, and even better, a tree. It isn’t natural to live in such a house.”

“You don’t like living in the First Homely House, do you?” asked Elladan, but his tone wasn’t accusing.

Haldir shook his head. “I like your father’s house. I like it very much. It is very cozy, and warm, and I feel welcome there. I do not feel welcome here.” They came to the steps once again, and found very few elves left outside. “I think I understand why it is that Thranduil built the King’s Kastle.”

“It is an escape for him,” Elrohir said, “that much is clear now.”

Haldir nodded and looked up the steps to the entrance. “We should join everyone, there is something to happen before the dancing begins again.” The twins began up the stairs before Haldir, the elder elf pausing for a moment, feeling as if someone had been following them.

There was a tap on his shoulder, but not the friendly sort of tap one expects from a friend or relative. This one meant business, and Haldir turned around slowly, looking not a bit surprised to see a rather irate elleth with dark hair.

“I may not know how to speak ‘Wess-Tron’,” said Taralawen, “but my husband does and heard your entire conversation.” Haldir looked past Taralawen to see an angry looking elf headed in his direction. Before the ellon could reach him, Haldir held up his hand.

“If you plan to engage me, I will not regret fighting back. It was your wife, and not you whom I insulted, and not without good reason. If she still believes she has been scorned by my words, then let her retaliate. I promise, I shall not strike back.” Haldir stood his ground, lowering his hand. Behind him, he could hear Elrohir swallow and Elladan shift his feet on the stone stairway. This was soon replaced with a crack and Taralawen slapped his cheek, but he made no effort to withdraw. She spat at his feet as an afterthought and flounced away from him.

Her husband took a few steps closer. “Do not think this is finished, wood elf,” and the words were spoken with a fierce amount of hate, “for I will not stand idly by to hear words that speak ill of my wife and the elleth with whom I raised three elflings.”

Haldir stepped closer, dangerously close, switching to Westron. “Perhaps you should have thought to raise the elleth first.”

Elladan and Elrohir both leaped down the stairs as the elf backhanded Haldir, but their uncle held his hand to them, insisting they stay behind him.

“Mark my words, wood elf, this is not finished.” The elf’s finger pushed at Haldir’s chest daringly. “The next time we meet, more than words will be exchanged.” He drew back, and stomped off after his wife.

“Bloody Noldo, lot of good they are,” cursed Elladan, pulling his handkerchief from his pocket. Haldir stepped back from Elladan’s care, even with his nose spilling blood.

“Never let me hear you say such a thing again, Elladan.” Haldir’s voice was quiet, but severe. “Listen to your words, for they are no different from the rest you have heard ringing in your ears this evening. Is not Glorfindel a Noldo? What of Erestor?”

“What about us?” Elrohir now had Elladan’s attention, even as his brother’s head hung in shame. “We might not be quite as much elf as the rest, but some of it is Noldorin. I know you are upset, brother, but do not let your rage taint your words.”

Elladan nodded. “You are right. Both of you are. I was just - I am so very angry that they would even think to strike you, uncle.” Elladan came closer to Haldir once again. “Please, may I tend to you?” Haldir nodded, letting Elladan wipe up the blood and stop the flow. “I apologize. I will be more careful with my words.”

This appeared to appease Haldir, and he pushed his nose a bit with his finger, testing to see if it was damaged more than expected. “I know you will. Now, come, for your grandfather has something planned and I would be terribly sorry if I were to miss it.” The three headed up the stairs and through the entrance as they had planned.

Celeborn was there and halted all three of them, looking in disdain at the bloodied cloth Elladan now hid up his sleeve. “We will talk later,” he said sternly, and none of the three argued this. Standing nearby were Celebrian, Orophin, and Rumil, each with a long-stemmed rose in their hands. Celeborn handed one of the same to Haldir, keeping one himself. “Elrohir, Elladan, go on inside. Tell Thranduil we are all here now.” The twins bowed slightly in wonder, and headed into the hall.

Celeborn shook his head at Haldir. “I do not know how many times I need to explain this to you, penneth. If you cannot find anything nice to say, do not say anything at all unless you are completely out of range, and even then, my suggestion is that you say it in your head to yourself. Is that clear?”

“As crystal, sir.”

Celeborn gave a curt nod, and added, after letting out a long breath. “I am, however, proud of your actions this evening.” Haldir raised a brow, and Celeborn continued. “You may think I have seen little, but I know much. If it were not for the sake of your mother, we would not have stayed this long.” Celeborn made a motion with his head, and Haldir knew to move away and in place between Celebrian and Orophin.

Orophin leaned slightly toward Haldir as Celeborn stepped to the doorway and peered into the hall. “I’d have punched him. And the elleth, probably.”

Rumil turned to look at Orophin and Haldir. “Punch who?” Rumil saw that Haldir’s cheek was slightly swollen, and gasped. “Halli, what happened to you?”

“A nasty little elleth and her husband attacked him,” hissed Celebrian. “What a bitch,” she added in Westron. “She had better hope I never meet up with her in a dark gardenway.”

“Celebrian!” Celeborn addressed his daughter, but it wasn’t to scold her. Instead, he was motioning to the doorway, and Celebrian scooted forward. She stopped to compose herself and gracefully entered the room.

- - -

“Galadriel,” announced Thranduil as soon as Elrohir and Elladan told him things were ready. He walked to the surprised elleth, taking her hand and leading her to the center of the room, where none others stood. “Galadriel, I know our relationship hasn’t always been on the best of terms.”

“Relationship? What relationship?” mused Galadriel playfully. A goodly amount of laughter rose up, and Thranduil frowned, keeping up his kingly appearance quite well.

“Come now, my dear. There was always a bit of a scuff between us two. You had the ring of adamant; I had a ring of spiders around my doorstep. You asked the Valar for a son and ended up with three while I asked the Valar for a daughter and apparently, they were on holiday.” The laughter and the jibes continued for a bit, each of them attempting to best the other.

It was Thranduil finally who attempted to bring their game to a conclusion. “We could continue on like this for some time my dear, but I think you must agree, that in the end, it is I who came out ahead.”

Galadriel narrowed her eyes, but was grinning madly. “How so?”

“Well, it’s quite simple, really,” he said. “I traveled to Valinor in a much prettier boat.” He looked to the doorway amid the laughter, signaling to Celeborn. “What this really comes down to is that so many, many years ago when my good friend, for whatever silly reason, became smitten with you, he chose me to aid him in that quest as his honored elf at your wedding.”

“You were at the wedding?” asked Galadriel, ever wanting to have the last word of a dispute. “All this time, I thought you had spent it in the wine cellar.”

“Saes, you will split my side with your jests!” pleaded Thranduil, motioning to the doorway. “As the years flew by, you became the parents of not just one or two but of a whole flock of wonderful elflings, all of whom I would have been more than happy to play guardian to had you brought them around Greenwood more often. I am hoping I might get my chance with the newest member of your family when she is born. Alas, I would call her by name, but I am told she does not yet have one. That is what your family intends to remedy right now.”

Galadriel looked now to the door, where Celebrian stood, holding a single rose before her. Thranduil moved away from Galadriel’s side, leaving her to stand alone as her daughter approached.

Celebrian stopped in front of her mother. “Nana, I wanted to thank you for something that I hold very dear to my heart. My name. It is perfect and I love it and I would never exchange it for another.” She held out the rose and Galadriel gladly accepted it from her. Celebrian gave a bit of a curtsey and stepped back and off to the side, but did not quite leave the center.

Haldir approached next. He stopped halfway, as if he wasn’t exactly certain he wanted to say what he intended very close to Galadriel. She raised a brow elegantly and he grinned. “I suppose it is to be expected that one cannot... find the perfect name all of the time.” A few elves smirked at this, mostly those who knew Haldir well. “But compared to some of the things I was called throughout the years, many of which were well-deserved, I can safely say I like Haldir the best.” Even Galadriel laughed now, and Haldir continued to her, handing her the rose. “Truly, I thank you for my name, Nana, I do love it and I am proud of it.” He bowed, joining Celebrian a few paces away.

Orophin took a few elegant strides into the room, and then when he was sure all eyes were on him, skipped the rest of the way. “Do excuse me, nana, I kept hopping and tripping forward, I think the floor is a bit wet.” His brother and sister contained their silent laughter as he continued. “I cannot quite thank you for my name directly, for as luck would have it, my brother came up with this wonderful word I answer to. I can thank you, however, for asking Glorfindel to stay in the Golden Woods to tend to the education of my wayward siblings,” both of whom narrowed their eyes at Orophin, “and that such a memorable impression was made upon young Haldir for him to name me after the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower. And in many fewer words, thank you, Nana.” Orophin handed Galadriel the flower he held, lifted her other hand, and kissed it before bowing as well. Unlike the red roses Celebrian and Haldir had given her, his was yellow. He took his place beside Haldir and waited for his other brother to enter the hall.

Rumil entered slowly, shyly almost, keeping his head bowed. When he was in front of Galadriel, he smiled, holding out the rose. “My name was also gifted to me by Haldir, but it is not my name for which I thank you, Nana, but for everything.” Galadriel drew her youngest son into a tight embrace, kissing him on the cheek. Rumil bowed quickly as they parted, and slid into place next to Orophin.

Celeborn stood in the doorway, eyes on his wife. He approached her, his stride regal and full of an unknown purpose. He stopped only when he was barely a yard away. “Galadriel.” His voice was clear, and the word was almost sung in how he said it. Galadriel took a step forward, but Celeborn flinched, so she stepped back. “Do you know where we are?” he asked.

Galadriel carefully looked around her, at the elves surrounding them, the walls, ceiling, and floor. Slowly, she shook her head. Celeborn took another step forward, taking hold of Galadriel’s hands carefully minding the flowers both of them held. “Galadriel,” he said again, and realization came into her eyes.

“This is where you named me. It was a garden here, many ages ago.”

“Aye, but the palace has been built around it,” Celeborn said, stroking the back of Galadriel’s hands with his thumbs. “I thought this was the perfect place for it.”

“For...?”

Celeborn let go of her hands, transferring the rose he had held into Galadriel’s. “That is from our daughter,” he said as he lowered himself so that he was on one knee. He reached up to hold onto Galadriel’s free hand, placing his other onto her swelled stomach, closing his eyes. “...Tallasinde.”
The Return of the Prince by Zhie
"So this is Valinor."

"This is Valinor."

There was a very long pause.

"Are you sure you didn’t make a wrong turn?"

"We didn’t turn. We just went west."

There was another very long pause.

"It looks deserted."

"We have not gone far inland yet."

The next pause was significantly shorter as a survey was made of the beach.

"Maybe they are all playing a trick on you."

"They are not playing a trick on me."

"Could be. Maybe they all knew you were bringing a dwarf, and now you have chased them all away. Perhaps, they have all gone further west still, and you will be stuck with me until the end of time." Gimli chuckled in spite of himself.

Legolas sighed and frowned, looking at the lone structure on the beach. "Perhaps this is a watch post. A place to greet new arrivals."

"Certainly is... charming. Quite charming," Gimli said, regarding the pink fence as he came to the gate. "Do you think we should... knock?" he asked, but Legolas had already pushed the gate that featured a pair of flamingos open and was approaching the house cautiously. Gimli shrugged and followed in his friend’s wake. "It doesn’t seem as if anyone is at home, laddie."

There were two sets of stairs leading up to two separate entrances, and Legolas chose the path to his right. He readjusted the sack he carried in one hand that held the few positions he had decided to bring with him and tapped on the door with the edge of his bow. No one answered, but Legolas was sure that he could hear something moving around inside. He tried the knob and found the door to be unlocked.

"Perhaps we should wait. Try knocking on the other door," suggested Gimli as Legolas pushed the door until it was wide open. The elf either was not listening or did not care to, for he entered the house, leaving his sack and weapon in the hallway.

Gimli stepped in after Legolas, pausing to look at a potted plant sitting near the door. "Atrocious," he muttered, following past a number of closed doors to the room Legolas was in. It was a sitting room of some type, and rather large, with a cozy fireplace fixed in the center of the wall. Legolas was standing in the door staring at it.

"Is something the matter?" asked Gimli, tightening his grip on his large axe. He used it now more as a walking stick than weapon, but none who knew him would dare make such a claim.

Legolas shook his head and merely said, "Half elves."

Gimli looked around in confusion, for he saw no one. "Beg your pardon?"

Legolas turned his head to regard the dwarf. "Peredhil get cold. They like the fire."

"This could be the house of Elrond, then," guessed Gimli.

"More likely his sons," mused Legolas, scanning the room. "I believe Lord Elrond has a great palace built in one of the inner cities. With great arches carved from tall trees and beautiful winding staircases. Pillars of marble and stone walkways, gardens with lush grass and flowers of every hue." Legolas turned and exited the room, heading for the stairway.

"You sound envious of this house you believe Lord Elrond has," called Gimli, taking his time as he wandered up the stairs behind his companion.

"I am envious!" shouted a voice from above. "I lived in tree or cave most of my life. Not that I would have traded my life for another, but I always lingered in Imladris. There is something to be said for a room with four flat and sturdy walls."

"You surprise me with your talk of walls, Legolas," Gimli told him when he had finally come to find him far in the back rooms of the highest floor of the house.

Legolas was sitting on the end of the tidily-made bed, looking oddly at something purple he held in his hands. "Walls are nice, if they have ample windows."

Gimli settled himself down on the dark blue blanket that was spread across the mattress and tucked neatly at the corners until he sat upon it. "Blech. Elves," he muttered, poking at the mattress.

Shifting his gaze to the dwarf beside him, Legolas frowned with an abundance of mockery. "What are you sputtering about now?" he jibed good-naturedly.

"This bed." Gimli poked it. "It is much too hard."

Legolas truly frowned, and tested the give of the mattress. "It is firm, but not uncomfortable."

"That’s just it," Gimli said, standing up. "Gifted with immortality, and you don’t spend it as wisely as you should."

"What are you talking about?" asked Legolas, placing the object onto the bed again.

"Please, Legolas." Gimli headed for the door. "If I were an elf – and even if I weren’t - this bed would have been broken in by now," he huffed.

"Gimli!" Legolas couldn’t help laughing, but he motioning behind them as he caught up to the dwarf. "That was the room of an elfling, there was a stuffed rabbit on the bed."

"That is no child’s room, elfling or otherwise," debated Gimli as they found their way to the next lower level. "It was much too clean."

"What was?"

"The room." Gimli thought for a moment, and added, "And the bunny-rabbit."

They found only two doors on the second level, facing one another in the hallway. Legolas again opened a door, and Gimli mumbled, "Remind me to put a very solid lock on the doors of the house I live in to keep you from rummaging through the place."

This next room actually looked like the room of a child. Legolas pushed the door in, and literally had to force it to open the entire way. He and Gimli carefully walked over and around various piles of clothing and clutter until they found the bed, which they both sat down upon and sunk into.

"What about this one, Master Dwarf? Has it been broken in to your satisfaction?" Legolas pulled himself up from the tussled orange and gold coverings that had been haphazardly thrown across the bed.

"I think it’s just broken," grumbled Gimli, trying to maneuver into a better position. His hands grasped a chunk of fabric, and he pulled it up, showing it to Legolas. "This reminds me of something. The tunics of the elves in Lothlorien."

Legolas reached forward and examined the garment. "This is the material used by the Galadhrim," he confirmed, tossing it back onto the bed. Gimli grabbed another piece of clothing, holding up a rather revealing item most ladies would have blushed to have seen. Legolas quirked a brow at the image.

"Well. Certainly wouldn’t have thought they’d have worn this under those uniforms," Gimli said. Legolas rolled his eyes and headed for the room across the hall. Gimli followed a short time later, plopping down on the bed in this new room as Legolas looked at the drawings framed upon the walls. "Ah... just right," Gimli said, giving a bit of a bounce on the mattress.

"I know this artist’s hand," Legolas said, ignoring Gimli’s testing of the mattress. "This is the work of Rumil Celebornion, I would bet my life on that." Legolas looked over his shoulder at Gimli, who was sitting comfortably on the side of the bed. "This is his room, a room he shares with his wife, Nenniach." Legolas picked up a drawing that would have to have been partially a self-portrait of three elves and showed it to Gimli.

"Nice family," commented Gimli, getting up from the bed reluctantly. "We might assume the other rooms are occupied by his brothers."

"Without a doubt, Orophin is across the hall," nodded Legolas. "He and Valarda were always very strange."

Gimli studied the structure of the doorway as he passed through, noticing the walkway across to the other building. "I do not know that I believe the room with the stuffed rabbit belongs to that arrogant captain."

"I would think the room is indeed Haldir’s," said Legolas, shutting the door of the room before following. "Although the rabbit may not belong to him."

"Why else could it be there, then?" Gimli pondered. "A gift from a lover?"

"Perhaps it belongs to a child of his," suggested Legolas. "There is another room you did not see that I was in before you found your way to the room with the rabbit. It was a nursery, just a few steps from the room we were in."

"And then again, maybe he sleeps with it," said Gimli, testing the doorknob of the room they had come to. Again, it was unlocked, and the dwarf pushed it open. "Ho, what have we here?" he asked, surveying the bedchambers. The room was light in color and had a breezy feel to it. On cream colored blankets was a bright pink bird, head nestled against a wing in slumber. "Wonder if the bird knows anything." Gimli looked at Legolas expectantly.

Legolas blinked. "What do you want me to do, ask it where its master is?"

"Well, you’re an elf, aren’t you?" grumbled Gimli, approaching the bird, who was now stretching its elegant pink neck and regarding the newcomers with curiosity. "If you can talk to trees, you can talk to a flamingo."

Sighing, Legolas found his way to another door in the room. "You have apparently mistaken me for a ranger."

"Oh. Sorry about that." Gimli sat down on the bed. "Elven princes don’t talk to flamingos. Consider it noted." He looked closer at the bird, now noticing a chain around its neck with a silver tag on it. Reaching over, he examined the writing on it. "Legolas, there’s something here in Elvish."

The elf bounded back over to the bed, leaning over to take a look. "Mitzi." He frowned. "Strange. It is not a word I am familiar with."

"Nor I." Gimli let go of the tag and the bird ruffled its feathers. "Say, here’s a silly thought. What if this bird isn’t just a bird?"

"I beg your pardon, I do not follow your thoughts."

"What if this bird," continued Gimli, "is one of the Valar? Or the Maiar? Perhaps a wizard - could even be Gandalf!"

Legolas couldn’t help but smile. "What would Mithrandir be doing in the house of the Lorien brothers?"

"Mithrandir! Yes, that sounds a wee bit like Mitzi. Perhaps he enjoys living as a sea bird now."

Legolas took a long look at the flamingo, and then shifted his gaze to Gimli. "I do not concur with your opinion," he said before heading back into the closet he had been exploring. He heard Gimli in the room behind him attempting to communicate with the bird and laughed silently to himself.

There wasn’t a thing that gave any indication as to who inhabited this room from the items stored in the closet - or so Legolas thought. As he turned to leave, something on the floor caught his eye, tucked away behind pairs of shoes. He picked it up and held it carefully, taking it out to show Gimli.

"I know whose room this is and whose bed you’re sitting on," Legolas said smugly. He held up the pitcher he had found so that Gimli could better see it. For a moment Gimli studied the pitcher, and then gasped in realization.

"That is the pitcher that belongs to the Lady of the Golden Woods," Gimli said in awe.

Legolas nodded, grinning. "Although, given the choice, I wouldn’t live with my parents in Valinor. I suppose for Rumil and his brothers they finally get to be the family they could not in Lothlorien."

Gimli seemed not to have heard his elven companion. "Then this... is the Lady Galadriel’s bed..."

"Yes, I would assume so..." Legolas said slowly.

Gimli flopped backwards onto the sheets, spreading his arms above his head and his legs below in the same fashion many young ones would make snow elves in the winter. Legolas jumped out of the way as the flamingo took flight and escaped through the open window. "Gimli, that is just crude," scolded Legolas. "Besides," he added, replacing the pitcher in the closet, "you may very well be on the side that the Lord Celeborn sleeps in."

Legolas returned to find Gimli relaxing on the other side of the bed. "Dwarves," he mumbled, leaving the room.

- - -

After exploring the whole of the house, or as many of the rooms that were not locked, for it seemed someone on the third floor liked their privacy, the pair headed further toward the mainland. Legolas found the walk to be slower than he would have normally been used to so that Gimli could stay in step, but was glad to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of his new home.

It was sometime in the afternoon that they found an inn on the edge of a small woods. In the distance was a more populated area, but something compelled Legolas to enter the cozy looking building.

He and Gimli walked through a room that was something of a parlor and something of a maze before finding the entrance to a large room, one with a bar and a wide open space, likely for dancing. A stage was in the far corner, but was empty for now. There was a buzz in the air of gossip and well wishing from those lining the stools of the long counter.

Legolas stepped casually into the hall, and instead of wandering to the bar, took a moment to survey the architecture. It was very, very familiar to him.

At the bar, one of the bartenders had looked up upon hearing them enter. He nudged the other bartender and squinted, cocking his head to the side. "That isn’t Thranduil, is it?"

The second bartender looked as well. "Thranduil’s supposed to be at his party."

"It looks just like him though."

"Nay, not Thranduil," answered a patron at the bar. "’Tis his son."

The second bartender, Glorcheniel, blinked. "Legolas?" She called out, and the elf responded, looking over at her, trying to place her. She did not look like anyone he knew, and yet, she knew his name.

"Aye, I am Legolas," he said, somewhat dumbly. Everyone sitting at the bar heard his answer, and turned now to regard the elf many had only heard of in song and story as one of the famed nine.

Instead, they found themselves staring down at his companion.

Finally, someone spoke to break the silence. "There is a dwarf. In Valinor."

"Is there not... a rule about dwarves? In Valinor?" asked someone else.

"I do not know about rules," answered a voice familiar to Legolas. "but I do know a limerick about a dwarf in Valinor." There was a pause, and then laughter. "No, never mind, it is a limerick about Master Erestor in Valinor."

"Is there not a rule about Master Erestor being in Valinor?" someone else spoke up.

"No, but I think there is a rule about Master Erestor not being in Valinor!" answered the familiar voice again. There was much laughter and some began to go back to their drinks.

"’Twill grieve you all greatly, then, for Master Erestor has made plans to cross the sea and come to live in Valinor." There were a few groans from some of the older elves, and Legolas continued, "He shall sail within the coming months with Lord Glorfindel to the Undying Lands."

"A pound of mithril says only one of them makes it to the shores alive!" shouted an elleth.

The laughter burst forth again, and after a few moments, Legolas was able to finally place the familiar voice when he saw Orophin stand upon his stool. "Alright, ellyn and ellyth, place your bets here! The odds are 5 to 1 in favor of Erestor being the elf alive when the ship reaches the shores!"

"But Glorfindel brought down a balrog!" called out someone on the far end of the bar. "That should count for something!"

"Aye, but he’s still trying to master the concept of not falling off large objects to his death. We’ll have a side bet going, method of death. Falling from the ship and drowning will be an option."

Another elf raised a hand in the air to capture the attention of everyone present. "But I heard it said that Glorfindel rode against the black riders!"

"First," Orophin explained, ticking off a finger, "it was probably Asfaloth who was the valiant one and Glorfindel that clung to the horse’s back, and second, is there truly a rider darker than Erestor? Nay, I think Glorfindel may be taking a second trip to Mandos by the year’s end. Your bets, please, everyone!"

Legolas stood, bewildered, until he felt a hand upon his shoulder. "Rumil! It has been a long time!"

"That it has, my friend." Rumil bowed to Gimli. "Mae govannen, Gimli son of Gloin. Nana said you would be coming, but I could not believe until I saw it with my own eyes. Come, sit with us, you must be in want of refreshment, and the King’s Kastle is the best place for it! Best of all, the drinks are free," he whispered, leading them to the end of the bar where Nenniach, Valarda, and Celebdreth were sitting. Orophin was weaving his way to them as Rumil offered his arm to help Gimli seat himself upon the high stool as the elves greeted both of Valinor’s newest inhabitants.

"Glorcheniel, friends of mine!" Orophin said, nodding to them.

Glorcheniel rolled her eyes. "As if I would charge him, knowing who he is." She wiped her hands on the towel that hung loosely at her hip. "What can I get for you?"

"Just water for myself, and whatever it is that Gimli desires."

"I don’t suppose elves brew a good beer, do they?"

There was a twinkle in Glorcheniel’s eye as she ducked under the counter, only to pull a frothing mug of deep amber away from the tap a moment later. She settled it in front of Gimli, placing a cloth napkin beside it before retrieving a glass of water for Legolas.

"Now that’s what I call service!" Gimli said, pounding a fist down on the bar. He lifted the glass and drank deeply. "This is incredible! Unbelievable!" he gawked.

"Brewed from a method created by Aule," Glorcheniel explained when she returned with the water for Legolas.

"This is brilliant!" Gimli took another swig, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "We should have come here sooner!" Gimli told Legolas.

Legolas smiled and took his glass from the counter. He had opted thus far not to sit, and was the only one standing on the patron side of the bar besides Orophin. "So, what gives you such privilege here as free drinks and the ability to calm the crowd?"

"My crowd charming ability is due to my extremely high charisma, a trait I thank my father for." Legolas raised a brow to this, and Orophin tried again. "My mother? Brother?" Legolas crinkled his nose, and Orophin laughed. "Alright, I’m charming all on my own, then. But the free drinks are an essential perk of being a member of the illustrious King’s Kastle staff."

"I had thought you might have had a hand in owning it, from the way you spoke," Legolas said, sipping from his glass.

"Nay, my good friend, for I am employed here in jest," he grinned. Legolas gave him a puzzled look.

Valarda piped up. "He’s the jester. One of them, at least," she said, and there was pride in her voice.

"Ah." Legolas looked Orophin over. "Where is your colorful cap? Your curled-toe shoes with bells upon them?"

Orophin shrugged. "I am funny enough just being myself, I don’t need a costume. You should come around when we have the limerick contests. Bloody brilliant fun."

Legolas said nothing, unsure of how to further the topic. "Is your family... what do they think of your current occupation?"

Orophin bit his lip. "Well, see, there’s the catch, really. Not all of them know about it."

Legolas lifted a brow. "And who is it who does not know? Most of your family appears to be present. Do not tell me you have kept such a secret from your brother."

"And Nana. And Elrond. Only the ones who wouldn’t understand, mind you," Orophin defended. "They shall know soon enough. Until that time, I perform only on those days which I know they shall not be here."

"Which pretty much leaves his schedule wide open," added Rumil.

"And who is your merry employer, who would hire a rogue such as yourself to do little more than wander his establishment and insult prospective patrons?" wondered Legolas, going back to his drink.

"I would like to begin by saying that Master Erestor will likely never frequent this establishment, and I shall quote him with something he told me long ago whilst I was under his tutelage." Orophin cleared his throat, adopting a stern look and imitating Erestor’s deep and serious voice. " ‘Orophin, I am through with you.’ " Orophin’s demeanor changed back to playful once again. "So, I have little worry that he should concern himself with me. My merry employer, as you so put it, is none other than the ex-King Thranduil."

Legolas choked on his water and then on his words. "My... father!"

"Well, now, the evidence on that was never conclusive, but you look much more like him than you do the messenger." Orophin gave Legolas a pat on the back to help stop his sputtering.

"Why is my father running a pub?"

"It’s really not a pub. It’s a dancehall," corrected Celebdreth.

"It’s an inn," Orophin said pointedly. "An inn, and little different from Elrond’s old place."

"Elrond? Elrond didn’t have an inn," argued Legolas, catching his breath.

"What do you think the Last Homely House was?" Orophin leaned against the counter. "Think about it. Catchy name. Nice and secluded. You could even have breakfast in bed if you liked. Not a lot of people lived there, more just a place to pass through on your way to the Havens or elsewhere. Lovely spot to hold meetings."

Legolas shook his head. "The Last Homely House was * not * an inn."

"Sure it was." It was Gimli who came now to the defense of Orophin. "Compared to the reception I received in Lothlorien and the way your father reacted to my kin when they reached the Mirkwood caves, the Last Homely House was Middle Earth’s most exclusive Bed and Breakfast."

Legolas set his glass onto the counter. "I do not believe this. Less than a day in Valinor, and everything has become a joke. I should like to speak to my father."

"You’ll have to wait a bit," said Rumil. "He’s hosting a gathering for all of the royals of Arda, up at your Grandfather’s palace."

"My Grandfather has a palace?" Legolas looked at Rumil in disbelief, which faded into sudden realization. "You mean Grandfather Oropher! He’s been reborn again, then!" Legolas was now overcome with excitement as he turned to Gimli. "You will love my Grandfather. He was always very friendly with dwarves, had some of them help with the building of the caves. Quite a jolly elf, he’s very much like my brother in his looks." Legolas turned back to Rumil without waiting for Gimli to make reply. "How far away is the palace?"

Orophin cringed. "About ten hours by carriage. Maybe six or seven if you took a fast horse and ran it into the ground. You aren’t planning on going, are you?"

"Why not?" questioned Legolas. "I am royalty."

"Well..." Orophin shrugged. "It’s only really meant for kings and queens and the like. That’s why we aren’t there," he said, spreading his arms about him.

"I was the Elven King of Ithilien, that should count for something," Legolas said, holding his chin high. Gimli chuckled. "And what so amuses you?"

"You didn’t rule Ithilien by my account. You told poor Aragorn you were bringing some of your elven friends to fix up the forest. You had a nice little elf colony there, but king you were not," Gimli told him bluntly. "Now, myself on the other hand, I was King of Aglarond. Lord of the Glittering Caves," he said with a sigh, "and there’s no dispute over that."

"Lord of the Glittering Caves my ass," huffed Legolas. "You brought a troop of dwarves who wanted to carve chunks of rock and waste time drinking to a cave. It was a party, not a monarchy."

Gimli set his mug heavily upon the bar. "And every time I came to visit you, all you and your elves did was climb in the trees and sing silly songs."

"Sounds like my kind of place," mused Rumil. "I knew I should have checked out my options before moving to Imladris."

"What does it matter?" interrupted Orophin, attempting to break up what could potentially turn into a volatile situation. "You are both here now, and here in Valinor, we do all of the above without care to what anyone thinks. Except carving chunks of rocks," he said, wagging a finger at Gimli. "You’re on your own for that."

"Come, Gimli," Legolas said, placing his hand on his friend’s shoulder. "I have a great desire to see my father, and if we can find a horse fast enough and willing to carry us, we may arrive in time before the end of the gathering."

Gimli nodded. "We need to find ourselves a horse."

"You can use mine," offered Glorcheniel. "She’s the grey mare tied up out back. Winulla is her name."

Legolas said his thanks and his farewells, departing with Gimli after one last look about the dancehall.

- - -

"Remember, I am not the Prince of Mirkwood," emphasized Legolas as they slowed and approached the well-lit structure that could only be their destination. The directions given to them by Rumil were flawless, and they had made a time of just over five hours, thanks to the swift hooves of Winulla. Legolas whispered his thanks and praises into the horse’s ear, and she whinnied contentedly with pride.

"Lord of the Forest Ithilien. I have it etched in my mind," Gimli assured him. "Do not forget my entire title," added Gimli.

"King of the Glittering Caves, Lord of-"

"King of Aglarond, Lord of the Glittering Caves," Gimli corrected him.

Legolas nodded. "Sorry. King of Aglarond, Lord of the Glittering Caves," he repeated.

"Are you sure you do not want me to make our introductions?" offered Gimli.

"No, no. I shall be fine." At the bottom of the stairs, they dismounted, and Legolas sent Winulla off to graze. They climbed the steps, admiring the beauty of the gardens. There was a single elf standing at the doors above, and he eyed up both of them as they made their ascent.

"May I help you?" asked the elf at the top of the stairs once they stood before him.

Legolas swept his cape back majestically. "You may. I was told there is a gathering here of the kings and queens of Arda."

The guard eyed up both of them, but especially Gimli, with great suspicion. "That there is."

"That is excellent news, for we have just recently arrived upon the shores today, and were not sent invitation. I am Lord of the Forest Ithilien, and my companion is King of Aglarond, Lord of the Glittering Ass. Caves. Glittering Caves," Legolas corrected himself swiftly.

The guard turned his suspicion now to Legolas, who looked very much like the King Oropher, and even more like the King Thranduil. The dwarf was still a bit of a shock, but it would be terribly amusing to send them into the hall. If nothing else, the guests would have a good laugh.

Beckoning for them to follow, the guard opened the doors and led them around the entryway to the stairs that led down into the main hall so that a grand entrance could be made. Waiting until everyone had noticed that he was standing at the top of the stairs as he had to introduce all of the guests that evening, the guard cleared his throat and announced in a loud voice, "His royal highness, the Lord of the Forest Ithilien and the most exhalted King of Aglarond, Lord of the Glittering Caves."

A slight buzz shot through the crowd, but contrary to most, Haldir and the twins were staying completely silent. Onto the balcony ledge came Legolas, followed by Gimli. "Certainly, those are two I had my doubts about ever seeing again," said Elrohir. His brother and uncle nodded in agreement.

Legolas and Gimli were walking slowly and steadily down the steps. The closer they came to the group in the hall, the quieter the room became. When Legolas placed his foot upon the floor, all talking had stopped. He scanned the room, finally finding the one he was looking for.

Thranduil took a deep breath and edged through the crowd until he was able to get a clear view of his son, letting an arm reach forward. "Legolas?" He was both surprised and delighted, and didn’t know whether he would suddenly faint or get the urge to happily jump up and down. Then he remembered their parting, and Greenwood, and all the rest. His arm fell back down to his side.

Legolas saw the motion and bounded forward. "Ada!" The two of them embraced and began to talk all at once, apologizing, forgiving, telling, sharing, laughing, and loving. Gimli stood off to the side, shifting his stance as he planted his axe on the ground.

Ilmendin finally made his way to the group, and pulled his brother from his father, hugging him fiercely. The two brothers started to curse one another playfully, slapping and nudging and each of them were wearing a silly grin on their face. Gimli took the cue to move a step in the opposite direction.

A number of elves near the stairs were now backing away from the dwarf, giving him odd looks. Gimli obviously decided to ignore their gaze, but he did look a bit uncomfortable.

"Hold this." Haldir handed his glass to Elrohir and unclasped the heavy cloak he had been wearing. This he tossed onto a nearby bench, and smoothing back the hair behind his ears, made to step forward.

"What are you doing?" demanded Elladan, who had stepped in front of Haldir.

"Committing an act of political and social suicide, Aulë help me." He placed a hand on Elladan’s shoulder and walked boldly past him.

Elrohir stood dumbly holding onto both his glass and his uncle’s as he watched Haldir continue to the front of the room. Those who saw him coming made way for him.

"Master Dwarf!" Gimli turned in surprise as he heard and saw an elf approaching. Haldir smiled and took to one knee in front of the dwarf and to the shock of everyone in the room embraced him. "Mae govannen, child of Aulë, it is good to see you again, Gimli."

"But... I... oh, heck. It’s good to see you as well, Master Elf." Gimli returned the hug, patting Haldir on the back. The elf hadn’t expected that, and winced at the pain in his spine. "Oh, sorry about that. Forgot about the ol’ war injury," Gimli apologized, stepping back as Haldir stood up.

Across the room, though they could not hear what was going on, the twins most certainly could see the scene unfold. "Well, I’m not letting him hog the spotlight on this. I’m going to hug the dwarf, too." Elladan walked to the front, passing off his glass of wine to the first empty hand he saw. Elrohir did the same with the ones he held, and soon they found themselves next to Gimli and barraged him from either side.

"Well, hello, laddies, I was told by that silly blond elf in Rivendell you’d be here!"

"Glorfindel?" guessed both twins at the same time.

Gimli nodded and looked again at Elrohir. "Ho, now, what do we have here!" Gimli stretched his hand and felt the hair on the elf’s cheek. "Since when do elves have beards?"

"Cirdan started it, really. I can’t take credit for the first one," Elrohir grinned.

"Well, it’s a lovely start," complimented Gimli. "Just wait until it gets a foot or so and you can start braiding it."

"I didn’t think about that. I’ve just kept it trimmed so far." Elrohir mused upon the possibilities.

Elladan took a look at his twin and gave a loud snort. Elrohir narrowed his eyes, and Elladan frowned. "Sorry, it’s just... oh, that would be rich..." Elladan began to laugh again.

"When are you going to start on one of your own, laddie?" asked Gimli of Elladan.

"Oh, I don’t know..." pondered Elladan. "How about never?"

Gimli and the twins seemed at ease in conversation, so Haldir decided it was about time to find his cape and make his exit from the party. In the morning, the carriages would take them all home, and he would never have to set foot in the palace of Oropher again. All he needed to do was find his cloak quickly, without running into... him.

Except that his cloak was not on the bench where he had left it, but was draped over the arm of the one elf he had hoped to avoid. "Lord Legolas. I believe you are holding my cloak."

"Haldir, I-" Legolas received the infamous raised brow and began again. "King Haldir?" Now he was given a scowl. "Haldir, I haven’t seen you the better part of a century. I had hoped we might put the Greenwood Incident behind us."

Haldir said nothing, crossing his arms as Legolas continued. "Can you really blame me for being upset? I did not truly expect him to give the kingdom to someone else. It was a great shock for me."

Still, Haldir stood stoically listening to the other elf speak. "Perhaps that isn’t all of it. Perhaps I was jealous. Yes, I wanted Greenwood even though I told him no. But I wanted it on my terms, not his. And I was jealous of you. Jealous that you had it, and jealous that everyone there respected you, and jealous that you did such a fine job ruling. A better job than I would have done." His last line was nearly whispered, and he was looking away in shame about his confession.

"The King of Greenwood is still mightily upset that the Lord of Ithilien caused such uproar in his kingdom when last he visited." Haldir took a step forward, dropping his arms to his sides. His voice softened, and he smiled ever so slightly. "The Captain of the Galadhrim, however, is much relieved to see the Prince of Mirkwood safely in Valinor." The two of them hugged, and Haldir kissed his old friend on the brow. "I have missed you."

"I have missed you as well." Legolas took a step back and looked suspiciously at Haldir’s feet. "Three thousand years, and you still wear those boots."

"Only when I’m not at home. And I take them off when I go dancing," Haldir replied smugly.

"Dancing? How interesting." Legolas shook his head. "We have much to talk about, for I suspect you have had adventures here just as I have had them across the sea."

"The King of Greenwood is still not on speaking terms with the Lord of Ithilien," warned Haldir, slipping his cloak from Legolas’s arm.

"Good of you to channel the Captain this evening so we could speak for a moment, then," smirked Legolas.

Haldir nodded. "Let it not be said that I am not accommodating. I did, if you recall, allow a dwarf into Lothlorien."

"A noble act of kindness, especially for one of the Galadhrim," grinned Legolas, watching Haldir unfold the cape. His face fell. "You aren’t leaving, are you?"

"I had planned to retreat at some point."

"Oh." Legolas slumped his shoulders. "I suppose the Captain of the Galadhrim has pressing matters and that the King of Greenwood shall be returning presently?"

Haldir contemplated his cloak for a moment before glancing at Legolas. "I’m still not completely happy about what happened," he said folding the cloak in half.

"Of course not."

"And I mean it. About not quite being on speaking terms with you." The cape was folded once again.

"I wouldn’t be on speaking terms with me either," agreed Legolas, but he was smiling again, and it was contagious.

"One drink, and ten minutes of time. Then, I shall be on my way." Now in eighths, the cape was tossed aside onto the bench it had been placed upon earlier.

"One drink. That is all," Legolas assured him, trying to think of a beverage that came in a very large glass.
Forgive and Forget by Zhie
Any worries that may have initially been had about having a dwarf in Valinor were quickly dispelled after two hours among the elves in Oropher's palace. Gimli met nearly everyone at the reception, and found that the emotion faced most often was curiosity. He was glad to learn that Bilbo and Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee were happy and living well, as was Gandalf. He was glad finally to sit when Elrond offered him a place at the table he, his wife, and mother and father-in-law were at. Gimli sat down at Galadriel's left, and Elrond sat in the seat left of Gimli.

"Gimli, son of Gloin, you already know Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn, but I have never had the pleasure of introducing you to my wife and their daughter, Lady Celebrian." Elrond made a motion with his hand from Gimli to Celebrian. His wife held out her hand across the table, but instead of facing it palm down, it was extended in a manner meant to shake Gimli's hand. "Mae govannen, Gimli. My husband and brothers have told me much about you."

"A pleasure to meet you, fair lady." Gimli reached out and shook Celebrian's hand, but was able to fluidly lean forward and place a kiss upon the back of it before releasing her hand and settling back into his seat. "Only your husband and brothers have spoken of me, then?" Gimli glanced briefly to his right before looking once more to Celebrian.

"Well, I suppose the hobbits speak of you quite a lot, and Mithrandir, but I do not often see them," she admitted, folding her hands upon the table. "Fear not, all of the words have been good ones."

Gimli rubbed his chin with a smile. "Even the words from the short elf?"

"Oh, Haldir?" Celebrian shrugged. "I do not know what he says of you. Orophin and Rumil hold you in high regard, however, Lord Gimli."

"Oh, no, please, Gimli is enough, lassie. No need to use that preposterous prefix."

"Gimli is quite a close family friend," Galadriel reminded Celebrian.

"As his father also was," Elrond added.

"Oh, well... well, ah... " Gimli blushed slightly, though his whiskers covered this fact quite well. "And what has the fair lady of the woods done with her time spent here in these lands?"

Galadriel smiled and tucked a few stray hairs behind her ear. "I've taken time to reacquaint myself with the hills and forests. This is my native land, the place I was born and grew from a tiny elfling. Soon, one of my own elflings will be born here as well," she said, placing a hand upon her stomach fondly.

"Oh, my!" Gimli first now noticed the swell of Galadriel's belly and chuckled. "You've been busy then, my lady."

"Yes, we have been. Quite busy," Celeborn said curtly, and he not so discreetly placed his arm around his wife. Galadriel ignored the reaction from her husband.

"And does the wee one have a name yet?" inquired Gimli.

Galadriel nodded and looked to Celeborn with great affection. "We have decided upon Tallasinde." Celeborn smiled back and slid his arm away, paying attention once more to his drink.

"That is a grand name for an elf. However, if it should happen the name doesn't fit, I can suggest a few fine Dwarven names for the child," offered Gimli. If Celeborn did not have the extreme control he possessed, he would have sprayed the other inhabitants at the table with a mouthful of Lorien Sunrise.

It was Elrond who took note of the incident, and swiftly stood. "If you shall excuse us, I see that King Thranduil is free at the moment, and I would very much like to speak with him and thank him for his hospitality. Come, Celeborn."

"I spoke with him already," Celeborn answered, glaring at Elrond. He was not about to leave his wife alone with this Dwarf.

"Go along, Ada," insisted Celebrian, "we will not be offended. He is a good friend of yours, and you have no choice in seeing the rest of us every day," she laughed.

Celeborn glanced at Elrond, who was wearing his 'don't make me drag you there' look, which hadn't been used in years, but Elrond had had enough practice using it while the twins and Arwen were young. Reluctantly the elf lord rose from his chair and followed Elrond across the room.

- - -

"...but we didn't know there was a Mumak living in the woods. You can imagine the surprise of all of us when we were having supper and it decided to join us!" Legolas laughed to himself about the incident, but Haldir did little more than smile politely. The elf of Mirkwood tried to think of another tale of Ithilian to tell the Lorien elf, but it seemed Haldir was willing himself not to have a good time. "Perhaps we should call one of the bartenders over to refill our drinks," suggested Legolas, but Haldir shook his head.

"It was one drink and ten minutes, and that was two hours ago."

Legolas frowned. "It could not be that long already," he said, but he knew the time was indeed long past even two hours. "What about a walk outside? I do know you enjoy fresh air before you retire for the evening."

"Nay, for you will keep me an hour more if we wander outside," Haldir told him.

Legolas heaved an overly exaggerated sigh. "Well, if you must leave, then I suppose you must."

The bartender appeared in front of them suddenly, smiling politely as she refilled their glasses without asking, and then slipped away.

Haldir stared at the drink before him. "I suppose I should not let it go to waste."

Legolas grinned. "Then once, when Gimli came to visit, well, we didn't have any ladders built for the flets yet-"

- - -

Celeborn chewed at his lip, looking down his glass and across the room at the table they had been sitting at. His focus was mainly on his wife and the dwarf. "Damn the musicians for retiring," he cursed, running a finger around the rim of his glass. Elrond looked on with amusement.

"I believe they shall return after a break," Elrond assured him. He smiled and added, "I have never before seen you this aggravated."

"Perhaps if it was your wife being fondled by a dwarf you would be as aggravated as I," replied Celeborn.

Elrond blinked, glancing at the table Gimli and their wives sat at. "I do not think he was 'fondling' her, Sa'Adar. The elfling was probably kicking and he was just... " Elrond moved his hand in a circular motion, trying to think of a way to get Celeborn's mind off of the scene he was watching. "Why don't we take a walk outside? I have been told that the sky is cloudless and the stars are lovely."

"Do you know what she gave him?"

"Gave who?"

"The dwarf. When he was in Lothlorien, do you know what she gave him?"

"I have a feeling I am about to find out," sighed Elrond, rubbing his head with his fingertips.

"Three of her golden hairs. Three." He emphasized this point by holding up three fingers, but he still kept his eyes on the table where Gimli and Galadriel were sitting, laughing at some tale Celebrian was telling them. "Are the musicians not back from their break yet?"

Elrond looked at the platform, seeing it empty. "They are not."

"How long does it take for six elves to relieve themselves and get a drink?" grumbled Celeborn. "Where is my son? I wonder if he has that flute of his with him. Perhaps I can persuade him to play a tune."

"Or you could go back to the table and sit down next to her in the empty seat," suggested Elrond.

"Or I could go back to the table and dismiss the dwarf and sit down in his seat," said Celeborn into his glass.

"You're jealous of him," said Elrond, with a bit of a laugh. "I don't understand why it is, but indeed you are."

"Indeed I am," sulked Celeborn, narrowing his eyes as Galadriel leaned toward Gimli conspiratorially, placing one hand on his knee as she whispered something to him that made him chuckle. "Where are the musicians?" he questioned darkly.

Elrond was about to offer to find the ensemble, but then he got an idea. An evil idea. A deliciously evil idea. 'It is a good thing the dark lord was not able to get to me, for I would have made such an excellent conspirator,' he thought, and Celebrian looked up and over at him warily. He had become so excited about his sudden plan, he had not guarded his thoughts as he was usually quite careful to.

'You are terrible.'

'Oh, let me have my fun.'

'I should really warn Ada.'

'Ria, it is the perfect opportunity.'

'I hope you know, I will not be a party to your evil plot against Haldir.'

'I can accept that. I plan to enlist every other member of your family.'

'I am sure you will. I have complete faith in you.' Celebrian paused for a moment and added, 'You might want to say something. Your eyes are glazed over and Ada is looking at you with some concern.'

Elrond shook his head, breaking the link with his wife. Celeborn was looking at him oddly. "Hmm?"

"I asked if something was the matter," said Celeborn.

"Oh, no. Nothing. Nothing at all," answered Elrond. "I was just thinking... "

"Mmm." Celeborn resumed staring at his wife and the dwarf sitting next to her.

"Dwarves can be very... nurturing," continued Elrond. Celeborn lifted up his head and looked to Elrond warily without turning to him. "When Elrohir and Elladan were growing up, we had a good number of dwarves that came through the homely house. A few of them stayed with us many seasons, teaching them much."

Celeborn narrowed his eyes. "My grandsons were raised in part by dwarves."

"If I recall," mused Elrond, "your youngest son, as well. Rumil spent some time with Kiri and Boban. The three of them explored many a cave together."

Celeborn refused to let his jaw drop. "My son cavorted around Middle Earth in the care of dwarves."

Elrond nodded. "It did him much good, I think." Elrond nodded again. "I think I shall ask Gimli Gloinson to move into the First Homely House. It should do some good for the elflings when they are born."

Laughing uneasily, Celeborn lifted his drink. "That is a... fairly good jest, Elrond." When Elrond did not return the laughter, Celeborn set down his glass without drinking. "Surely, Elrond, you are joking." Still, the Lord of the House of the Pink Sea Birds said nothing. "Elrond! A dwarf in the house? What did I ever do to you? I have always been kind to you, I was much more lenient than most fathers are regarding their daughters - you of all elves should know that. I can't think of anything that would make you do such a horrible thing to me."

Looking Celeborn directly in the eye, Elrond said, "No me gusta-" but was cut off.

"Oh, bugger, Elrond, I can't believe you are still holding a grudge about that!" Celeborn sunk lower to the table, sulking. "You just aren't going to let that go, are you?"

"I might be persuaded to forget about the incident. For a price of course." Elrond waited until Celeborn finished drumming his fingers upon the table. "It will only cost you one day of your time."

"One day?" Celeborn sat up. "What's one day? Do-wait. Which day?"

"November the twelfth."

"Don-wait. It can't be this easy. What is November the twelfth?"

"Well, if you cannot keep straight the birthdays of your very own children-"

Celeborn shook his head once he realized the significance of the day. "Elrond, I will not do something against Haldir. I think he has suffered enough; he is just beginning to be social again. I will not lose him again to a silly prank." Celeborn lifted his drink again. "Besides, I do not think you would really ask the dwarf to live in the house."

"No hablo Sindarin," replied Elrond.

Celeborn slammed his glass onto the top of the table, cracking but not shattering it. Elrond sighed and pulled his chair closer to his father-in-law. "What I am planning is a very harmless joke. I have already enlisted nearly everyone else in the house, so I really don't need you to assist with the plan."

"I still do not think you would let the dwarf live at the house." Celeborn looked across the room. Galadriel was laughing at some grand tale Gimli was telling with flourish. "But tell me of your plan, Elrond, and I will consider it."

Elrond leaned over and whispered to Celeborn, keeping watch in case anyone should approach. "I still don't like this for some reason," muttered Celeborn as he continued to watch his wife. "But if I agree to this, then we are even. No more pranks or jokes. I am too old for this sort of thing."

"No more pink birds," warned Elrond.

"No dwarves living in the First Homely House," countered Celeborn.

"Agreed," nodded Elrond.

"Done." Celeborn held out a hand, and the two gave a forceful shake on the deal. "Now, I am going to rescue my wife, if you do not mind."

Elrond decided not to mention that Galadriel looked to be far from needing rescue. He observed Celeborn's arrogant walk, head held high. Elrond knew he had seen this before, and wondered if it was something Celeborn had taught Haldir to do, or if the younger elf had picked it up on his own. His thoughts wandering once again, he heard gentle laughter in his head and shifted his gaze across the room.

'Ada learned it from Halli.'

'Somehow, Ria, that does not surprise me.'

Elrond watched as Celeborn said a few words to Galadriel and motioned to where other elves were dancing. She shook her head, and Celeborn furrowed his brow. Once more he made an appeal, but she held up her hand to silence him, patting his cheek before he heaved a great sigh and came back to the table Elrond was at. Immediately he began to survey the room.

"Let me guess. Feet too swollen to dance?" Elrond asked.

Celeborn let his eyes wander from table to table, most of them empty. "Shut up, Elrond, or I'll make you dance with me."

Elrond, wise beyond his years, shut up. He had an urge to ask what Celeborn was looking for, but heeded the words of his father-in-law.

"Are there no elleths here by themselves?" Celeborn wondered aloud.

"Why? Are you in the market now?" Elrond clapped his hand over his mouth just as he received a venomous stare from Celeborn.

"I hope one of the hobbits suddenly becomes infatuated with your wife. Then, you'll know." Celeborn suddenly became distracted by someone and smiled wickedly to himself. "Yes... she'll do," he said to himself as he moved in the direction of the stage.

Elrond gave a relieved sigh once Celeborn had gone. Infatuated hobbits was something he could deal with, but he doubted he would have recovered from the embarrassment had he been forced to dance with his father-in-law.

Celeborn approached the stage with the suave stagger of a young elf looking for a good time. The group of musicians regarded him carefully, murmuring to one another that the elf lord appeared to be drunk. When he made a motion with his hand for one of them to come forward, the elleth in question looked warily to the rest of the band before edging to the side of the stage Celeborn stood at. "Did you have a request for a song?" asked the bard, still strumming her lute.

"I am in need of a dance partner," Celeborn informed her.

"What of your wife, my lord?"

"She is otherwise occupied," said Celeborn, whose right hand had already snuck under the elleth's elbow.

"And your daughter?" asked the elleth, glancing around her shoulder. Apparently, the rest of the band was more interested in being amused than in giving a helping hand, for they watched with interest, yet made no move to assist her.

"Also occupied," Celeborn said, pulling her gently, but forcefully down the steps along the side of the stage. The bard was barely able to draw the strap of her instrument over her head and lean it against the wall before she was pulled to the dance floor.

The mood of the music changed by the time they began to move in time with it, and the bard shot a look of contempt over her shoulder at the rest of the musicians, who smiled around the reeds of their clarinets or smirked between trills on their flutes. None of them looked at all apologetic for the sultry piece they had begun to play, and the bard decided she would kill them all later.

Celeborn swept the elleth through the other dancing couples, coming to a perfect spot so that Galadriel had a full view of his activities. The poor elleth looked longingly at the stage, but this only fueled the fire and caused the musicians to ease into a more seductive tune. The elleth was absolutely, positively going to kill them all, and in the most painful way she could think of.

"You dance quite well," commended Celeborn, keeping watch of Galadriel from the corner of his eye. He knew that Galadriel was well aware of what he was doing, but she continued to focus her attention on Gimli and her daughter. "What is your name?" Celeborn asked the elleth.

"Bubastis Zagazig is what I am called, but surely you know that, my lord, you are in the King's Kastle often enough."

"That is the name you use, but what is your real name?" he questioned. "Surely, your parents did not name you using the Dwarvish tongue."

The elleth shook her head. "It was Astist once, and Castist before that, and Galade years before. But I traveled long with Dwarves and Gnomes and Men, and those names no longer seem to fit."

"But you are in Valinor now," smiled Celeborn. "And until last night, I could have told you that there are no Dwarves, Gnomes, or Men in Valinor. I do not think your name would be out of place now."

"One would not think," said Bubastis, "but I am also a peredhel. That complicates matters."

Celeborn frowned slightly. "It should not."

"But it does." She nodded in the direction of the twins, who were sitting at a table by themselves, sharing a gigantic (and very alcoholic) strawberry milkshake. "They have been alone most of the evening, but it is no fault of theirs. There is a great deal of prejudice here, unfortunately. I would have liked to have stayed at the King's Kastle, where such things do not matter," she confessed.

"Why did you not then?" Celeborn danced them slightly out of Galadriel's view. He found himself interested in this elleth, especially regarding her heritage. Half-elves were a rare breed, and they all tended to have fascinating origins and stories. He really didn't need his wife interjecting now that the conversation had become of interest.

"Thranduil insisted that we perform. It was all of us or none of us, and the rest were quite persistent about coming. It has been enjoyable, for the most part," she reflected.

They continued to talk as they danced, and luckily, the remaining musicians relented and went back to more traditional songs. Celeborn began to stifle yawns until he was unable to, and then stopped mid-song with a shake of his head. "I regret that I am not as young as I wish I were."

"I think you merely suffer from fatigue," said Bubastis. "And if you might permit me to say, it is only those guests too stubborn to admit that even the Firstborn need sleep who are still here in the hall."

"Oh, damn." Celeborn let his hands fall to his sides. "This is just not going the way I had hoped."

Bubastis gave a worried look. "If I have offended you, I offer my sincerest apologies."

"No, no... " Celeborn waved this off with his hand. "Do you see my wife over there?" he asked.

Bubastis gave a sigh. "How can anyone not? She must be the most radiant elleth in all of Valinor. Believe me when I tell you there are some who would gladly face Mandos if they could have her beauty for a day."

"Yet she sits with a Dwarf while her poor husband wishes nothing more than to bask in that radiance," sighed Celeborn. "I shall admit, it was rather rude of me, but I intended to use you as bait. To make her jealous by dancing with a lovely young elleth, and if that did not bring the desired results, to, well... to kiss the poor maid, for if there is one thing my wife doth detest, it is to see my lips upon those of another elleth."

"So... you've done this before," guessed Bubastis, crossing her arms.

"No, no... " Celeborn shook his head. "Once, maybe. Twice, or, eight times, at the most."

Bubastis couldn't help but laugh as the elf lord blushed, admitting to his past transgressions. "Might I be so bold as to ask if the lady has ever used the same technique?"

"Oh... " Celeborn looked back to the table, where Galadriel was smiling affectionately at Gimli. She held one of the Dwarf's hands, while the other was being used to help retell some fantastic feat. "...she has her own way of things."

Bubastis peered over Celeborn's shoulder to see what he was watching now. "Dash it all, me and my helpful ways... " she mumbled. "Turn this way," she instructed, pushing him so that Galadriel would have a view of them from the side. "If she kills me for this, promise you'll stop by Mandos for a visit." Without further notice, the elleth stretched up on her tiptoes, putting her hands on Celeborn's shoulders to gain enough height so that she could place a chaste kiss on his lips.

The kiss itself was quite innocent, really, and reminded Celeborn of kissing Celebrian or Arwen. But the elleth, quite the performer, bent one leg upwards so that her pose was more reminiscent of a ballerina, and winked coyly as she stepped back into place. Galadriel had not missed a moment of the performance, and within seconds had dismissed herself from the table and was taking strides as large as she was able to the dance floor.

Although she had heard of Galadriel's overwhelming presence, Bubastis was still in awe as the Noldo approached and then towered over her. Nothing was said, for all Galadriel need do was stare to instill fear into the poor peredhel. "Yes, well, I think that's the next set, I must get back to the stage. It was lovely... " Bubastis held out her hand to shake Celeborn's, but Galadriel had only to arch one brow for the elleth to pull back. "...er, right then. Ta." Bubastis swiftly turned and headed thankfully back to the stage.

Lowering her brow, Galadriel slowly turned her head to face Celeborn. "May I cut in?"

"Certainly." Although he was truly too tired to dance now, he was not about to give up the opportunity. They easily found the rhythm of the song and Celeborn had the distinct feeling that his wife was clinging to him rather than holding him.

"It angers you that Gimli is here." She was unsure, but it seemed that way.

"No, that is not it," Celeborn said soothingly.

"What then?" asked Galadriel.

"I am jealous of him."

"Jealous of him?" Galadriel laughed quietly. "Why ever should you be jealous?"

Celeborn shook his head, giving her a shrug. Her laughter quieted and her smile fell from her face.

"My gift to Gimli displeased you." She said this to him without anger, and without remorse, simply stating the thoughts he did not wish to speak.

"I have thought on it, and yes, I think it did displease me. I knew of Feanor's pleas to you and knew of your rejection of his request." Celeborn lifted a hand and drew his fingers lightly through a loose wavy tress of golden silk. "There were a few times when I thought to ask you for a lock of your golden treasure, but I never presumed such a wish would be granted."

"But Celeborn, you possess a far greater gift," she assured him. "You, and you alone, hold my heart." Galadriel placed her head upon his shoulder, and Celeborn drew her closer with a sigh.

"I am still jealous."

He felt Galadriel nod her head. "Think of this, dear husband. While you have eternity with me, Gimli shall live here with us for only a brief time. The window of opportunity to get to know him again is very small. You and I, we shall have forever... "

"I know." He drew his hand over her golden hair and pressed a kiss atop her head.

"A new daughter soon... "

"I know this, too," he said, smiling now at the thought.

"Four wonderful children already... "

"You mean it is too late to send them back?"

Galadriel lifted her head and playfully shoved at Celeborn's shoulder as they continued to dance, but she began laughing, as did he, and soon the pair had stopped dancing, foreheads pressed together as they shared a moment of mirth. "I think it may be a bit late for that," she said before they returned to dancing.

- - -

Elrohir and Elladan were happily watching the events as they unfolded, grateful that there were two of them so that they could follow everything and share later what had happened. Elrohir noticed Haldir and Legolas sitting at the bar nearby and took his eyes from his grandparents to watch them. His jaw dropped after a short time, and he pulled on Elladan's sleeve, nearly yanking it off.

"What is the matter?" asked Elladan with concern. He had been enjoying the view of his mother and father listening to Gimli rehash a grand adventure.

"El - look!" Elrohir pointed not to their uncle, but to the elf with him. "Look at that! Look at how he's eating!"

Elladan did look, indeed he studied the elf for a time before answering, "He is eating very slowly."

"No!" Elrohir said excitedly, and Elladan flinched, and then looked again. "No, El, it is something else!"

Elladan bit his lip and watched. "He's... taking small bites?"

"No."

"Chewing with caution?"

"No! One word. He's... " prompted Elrohir.

"He's... " Elladan shook his head, studying his brother, trying to determine the answer. "He's... snacking, he's... gnawing-no, not gnawing, he's... nibbling, he's-"

Elrohir bounced on his seat excitedly, tapping on his nose. "Nibbling, nibbling, he's nibbling!"

"Ohhhh-kaaaay... he's... nibbling." Elladan turned back to watching his parents and Gimli, but abruptly turned back. His eyes were wide and he was pointing at Legolas. "He's nibbling, El, he's nibbling! He's Nibbles!"

Elrohir shoved Elladan's hand down to his side, nodding with enthusiasm. "We should have made the bunny green."

- - -

Legolas licked each of the prongs of his fork separately, savoring the very last taste of the dessert. Haldir was propped on the counter, elbow on the top of it and his hand against his head, watching and waiting for Legolas to finish. "Shall we go for that walk now?" asked Haldir. He was trying hard to be indifferent at times, but he was truly happy not only that Legolas had finally come to the west, but also to know that Erestor and Glorfindel would soon arrive as well.

"I don't know," admitted Legolas, placing his fork on his empty plate. "I forgot how good Elvish food could be. Real, true Elvish food." Legolas glanced around, sniffing the air. "Did they bring out fresh pastries?" he asked, eyeing the dessert tables.

"We are going to be here forever if you continue to sample treats," groaned Haldir, but his voice was playful, and he also looked at the tables. "If you go up there, if they have-"

"Frosted apple pastry, and half a slice of blueberry." Legolas winked and swung his leg over the side of the stool. "I shall return," he promised as he gave the other elf a squeeze on the shoulder, and weaved his way back to the desserts."

- - -

Elrohir and Elladan stood, planning to make their way over to confront Haldir, but sat back down as Gimli rushed past them. "This should be fun." He said this not in elf common, not in Westron, but in their own special twintalk language they sometimes used.

"Quite."

"Did you see the wink?"

"And the squeeze."

"They are so in love."

"Oh, we have to make him a green rabbit."

"For his birthday?"

"If we can hold out that long!"

- - -

Gimli approached the bar where Haldir was sitting waiting for Legolas to return. The Dwarf tapped the empty stool next to Haldir. "I don't suppose this happens to be vacant."

Haldir looked upon the stool with indifference. "I do not see anyone currently occupying it."

Gimli gave a nod and made an attempt to heave himself up. After three more tries, he huffed and cursed under his breath. The stool was much higher than he had thought.

"I'm not lifting you up, dwarf," Haldir said quietly before sipping his drink.

"And ah did not ask you to. Elf," grumbled Gimli. He judged the distance between the top of the stool and the floor again, and began to wonder where he might find a box. Haldir cleared his throat, and Gimli turned to find that the elf had swung his legs around with his feet placed together, giving Gimli the option of a crude sort of step. Gimli quickly took the opportunity and after a moment was seated on one of the stools. "Thanks."

Haldir acknowledged him with a brief nod before repositioning himself.

Neither said anything to one another for some time. Gimli finally broke the ice by asking, "So, the house on the beach. Who lives there, besides the flamingo?"

"Mitzi is mother's bird. The house is Elrond's."

"Do you live there as well?"

"And my siblings, their spouses, and children. We keep goats and chickens as well."

"Ah. And which of the rooms would be yours?"

Haldir glanced over in surprise. "Why would that concern you?"

"Well, it doesn't, actually, I just-"

"Were you in the house?" Haldir's eyes narrowed as he realized just how much information Gimli already possessed. "You had to have gone in, Mitzi was in there, you wouldn't have seen her otherwise."

"Uh... well... it was Legolas' idea!" stammered Gimli.

As if on cue, the elf returned, happily whistling as he approached Gimli and Haldir.

Haldir looked over his shoulder and blinked, momentarily forgetting his discussion with Gimli. "Did you leave any for anyone else?" asked Haldir as he surveyed the tray of deserts the grinning Prince carried back to their spot at the bar.

Legolas stuck his tongue out. "A month with nothing but lembas. Try it some time and you'd do the same." He pulled one plate off of the tray and handed it to Haldir along with a fork. "Gimli, can I interest you in anything?"

"Oh, no, I'm quite stuffed," said the dwarf.

"Suit yourself." Legolas set the tray down and perched himself upon the stool to Haldir's right. He licked his lips as he brought forward a large piece of iced chocolate cake drizzled with strawberry syrup.

"You are going to make yourself sick," Haldir told him, but Legolas simply smiled and scooped up a mouthful of cake. "Alright then, but I refuse to hold your head over a basin when it all comes back later."

"That goes double for me," added Gimli.

"Elves don't get sick," Legolas informed him between bites.

Haldir opened his mouth to relate the incident he had had earlier that year on the beach, but decided not to. He remembered he was supposed to be indifferent. He was supposed to be upset about the Greenwood incident. He was supposed to have left three hours ago. "Elves also don't usually go into other elves' homes without permission."

Legolas pushed the remaining cake across the plate with his fork. Obviously, Haldir had found out about the house on the beach. "Elves should lock the doors of places they don't want other elves to go into."

"So you explored the entire house then," assumed Haldir before finishing the liquid in his glass.

"Most of the rooms." Legolas paused, but not for long. "Who does the purple rabbit belong to?" he blurted out.

Choking on his drink, Haldir coughed and sputtered as he looked over to meet Legolas' gaze. He was angry, yes, but he also felt violated in some respect. Although the hour was late and few elves remained, he feared that someone had heard the question. Setting his jaw, he did not answer.

"We were somewhat wondering if it mightn't belong to you," added Gimli, unable to see the expression on Haldir's face. Haldir set his drink onto the counter, pushed the stool back, and walked away, finding a table far away from anyone to sit at.

"Nice job, Gimli," Legolas said, throwing his fork onto the plate.

"Me? Oh no, you already had him going."

Voices likely would have been raised at each other, except for an interruption from the opposite side of the bar. "The rabbit-" began Elladan.

"-is his," finished Elrohir. The pair had discreetly meandered over and were sitting along the other side of the U-shaped counter, nursing drinks of their own. Legolas slumped his shoulders and pushed his plate away from him, heaving a sigh. Gimli shook his head and carefully dismounted from his stool.

"I'll go talk to him," grumbled Gimli. Before Legolas could stop him, the dwarf was halfway to his destination. Gimli did not approach with caution. Instead, he boldly pulled out the chair opposite of the surprised elf and sat himself down. The two stared at each other for a few seconds before Gimli said, "I had a reindeer." He looked down at his hands, wondering if perhaps it had been a bad idea to come over to the table.

"Pardon?"

"When I was young, I had a stuffed reindeer. I named him Rocks. Used to go everywhere with me. In those days, we moved around a lot." Gimli looked up to find Haldir was paying careful attention to his tale. "I was about twenty-two when I put Rocks away in a box, and twenty-eight when I realized he wasn't with me anymore. I always wish I would have kept him somewhere safer." Gimli looked around and lowered his voice, adding, "If I still had Rocks, I'd have let him sleep on my bed, too."

Haldir blinked and looked down at the tabletop. Gimli sighed and reached into his pocket for his pipe. "You don't believe me."

Giving a slight smile, Haldir shook his head. "No, Gimli, I do believe you. I have no reason not to. You have no reason to make up such a story." Haldir straightened up. "I only just realized I have not been the most courteous to you in the past."

"Nor have I been the model of respect to you," added Gimli, lighting the pipe.

Haldir nodded in agreement. "I must admit I was taken aback when you first entered Lorien and said you should like to spit on my grave."

The pipe nearly fell from Gimli's lips. "You speak Dwarvish?"

"I am a linguistic prodigy," Haldir said proudly. "At least, that is what Master Erestor told me, and I have done well not to forget it."

"I see," Gimli said, repositioning his pipe.

"Let us begin again," suggested Haldir. "We shall put the past behind us."

"At the very least, the bad parts."

"Wouldn't that not be all of it?" asked Haldir, but he was smirking, and Gimli chuckled.

"I must admit that Valinor is a far cry from what I expected." Gimli puffed on the pipe and turned his head around to see what Haldir had looked up at. Legolas stood near the table, a sad expression on his face and a plate of pastry in his hand. Gimli's voice had carried across the room to him, and not a word had been missed.

Legolas shuffled soundlessly to Haldir. "You forgot this," he said as he set the plate down.

"Thanks." Haldir waved an arm at one of the free seats and Legolas sat down next to him.

Placing a hand on Haldir's shoulder, he gave a sincere look of apology. "I am truly sorry, my friend, I did not mean offence."

Haldir nodded. "I am better now, but I think I shall begin warning the rest of the elves to lock their doors now that you are in Valinor." Legolas blushed slightly, and sat back in his chair as the twins approached.

Elrohir was carrying the desert tray Legolas had left at the counter and settled it in the center of the table. "You forgot this," he said, sliding into a seat. Elladan did the same, but was eyeing up a dish of banana pudding.

Frowning, Legolas sighed. "I no longer have the appetite I thought I did."

"Good thing we are here to help, then!" said Elladan, snatching the pudding before there was any further discussion. Elrohir nodded in agreement, and moments later, was licking the frosting off of a large and fluffy cupcake, careful not to get any of the sprinkles caught in his beard.

Legolas noted that his nearly empty plate of cake was among the ones on the tray and pulled it toward him. He made short work of the rest of it.

Gimli snorted as the next song began, yet another slow ballad that kept a few couples dancing. "This party could use a bit of livening up."

"By all rights, we should all have retired by now," grinned Elladan. "It was your arrival which extended the event. Soon, it shall be morning, in fact."

"Well, before the end of this gathering, I think there should be a good strong song to finish the evening, or begin the day, whatever the case may be." Gimli looked to Legolas. "What about one of those drinking songs the Hobbits were so fond of? Or a Dwarvish one - that would be a good end to this. A duet, perhaps?"

"I really don't know that much Dwarvish," said Legolas, trying to decide which of his desserts to tackle next.

"You needn't know the Dwarvish, laddie, we would sing it in Westron so that everyone could understand it," said Gimli.

"Well, I don't know Dwarvish songs, either." Legolas pulled a puffy pastry with raspberries and cream to the front of his hoard. "

Gimli frowned. "I've sang enough of them to you over the last century."

Legolas lifted a forkful of fruit and cream to his lips. "I didn't know there was going to be a quiz."

"Agggh. And I suppose you would have me sing an Elvish tune with you instead," complained Gimli.

"I shall sing with you." Even Haldir blinked in surprise at his own words. "I know a few Dwarvish songs, although I might suggest we sing them in Westron so that it does not seem we are insulting the rest of the guests."

The twins looked at each other with great interest and astonishment.

"Haldir?" questioned Elladan.

"Sing?" answered Elrohir.

The twins turned to look at their uncle, who merely shrugged and turned his attention back to Gimli. "Do you have a favorite?" asked the Dwarf, setting his pipe carefully on the table.

"Do you know 'The Gnome with the Curious Nature'?" Haldir asked, standing up.

"Aye, that I do!" Gimli stood and began to make his way to the stage. "My great-great-great-uncle Grundle actually traveled with that Gnome!"

"Then you would be interested to know that there is an elf living here who traveled with that fabled group, the very same bard who composed the Westron version of the song we are about to sing." Haldir made a motion to the lute player in the band and she came to the side of the stage, still strumming her instrument. "Gimli and I would like to sing a tune." For the first time that very trying evening, the bard's hand faltered and she hit a wrong chord.

"I am sorry, Lord Haldir, I thought I heard you say you wished to sing a song with Gimli Gloinson."

"We should like to sing 'Burglar Binky Buckletooth: The Gnome with the Curious Nature'," explained Haldir.

The elleth nodded. Apparently, everyone in Valinor had gone mad. "This was to be the last song, but I am sure we can stay for one final tune." She walked back to the other musicians and spoke to them in low tones. After a few moments then ended the current song, receiving applause from the few elves that were still left.

"We have one final song for you this evening, which will be presented with the assistance of Lord Haldir and Lord Gimli. Thank you for your attention this evening, and we bid you a good night." The elleth bowed, sweeping her feathered hat off of her head and back on once again before relinquishing the front of the stage to Haldir and Gimli.

The music began behind them and Gimli looked to Haldir, who nodded. Gimli's strong voice sang out the majority of the song, while Haldir accompanied him on the accented lines and the chorus.


I knew a gnome far from his home
Around hill and dale he liked to roam
His nose is small, but don't tell him the truth
Let's all sing the song of Buckletooth

Binky Buckletooth is the name of this creature
He might be short and an oddly sort, but
Please excuse his curious nature
For he's a gnome far from his home
He has traveled far and wide
Binky Buckletooth, full of gnomish pride

He won't talk to trees, won't listen to bees
He'll only do whatever he please
But check a tunnel or look underground and
He'll talk to all the burrowin' animals around

Binky Buckletooth is the name of this creature
He might be short and an oddly sort, but
Please excuse his curious nature
For he's a gnome far from his home
He has traveled far and wide
Binky Buckletooth, full of gnomish pride

If he stays he'll try to appraise
Gems and jewels, if he can, for days
Truly a friend to the end and a marvelous fighter
But give him a chance and he'll make your purse lighter

Binky Buckletooth is the name of this creature
He might be short and an oddly sort, but
Please excuse his curious nature
For he's a gnome far from his home
He has traveled far and wide
Binky Buckletooth, full of gnomish pride


The song came to an end and Legolas stared, open-mouthed as he watched the pair bow modestly to the applause they received. "He can sing."

"He's an elf." Elladan shrugged, now concentrating his efforts on a bowl of lavender custard. "Of course he can sing."

"But you made it sound like he couldn't," said Legolas.

"We knew he could," corrected Elrohir, stabbing at the air with the fork from his lemon pie to make his point. "We just did not expect him to do so in public."

Gimli and Haldir found their seats at the table once more as nearly everyone began to find their way out of the hall. The lights from the candles were soon dimmed, but the beginning streaks of daylight came in through the high windows, helping to illuminate the room. Thranduil ordered the remaining deserts be left out for the quintet in the back of the hall before he, too, retired. Soon, all that remained was a table full of sweets, four very lively elves considering the amount of sugar they had ingested, and an amused Dwarf. They had brought chairs to the desert table for easier access.

Haldir swept his eyes across the great expanse. His chin rested on one hand while the other pointed to various things. Haldir's theory was that if he had only a single bite of whatever he wanted to taste, he would not be sick, but he was having a difficult time remembering now what he had and had not sampled. "Have I tried that?" he asked Gimli, pointing to a three-layer cake with blue and green frosting.

"Yes, just after the plum cobbler."

"And that?" he pointed now to a plate of long cookie tubes filled with mint cream.

Gimli nodded. "Right before the caramel brownies."

Haldir licked his lips. Too bad Elrohir had eaten all of the caramel brownies. "What about this?" He picked up a slice of fluffy white cake. It was quite plain, but smelled deliciously fresh.

"No. You haven't stuffed any of that into your belly yet," confirmed Gimli.

"Oh, good." Haldir sipped his water to clear his palate before biting off a considerable chunk of cake. "Mmm. I rather like this. I think I shall have all of this treat," he decided.

Legolas frowned and pouted a bit. He had taken to finishing the deserts Haldir had started. Looking down the table, he smiled at the twins, who were both feeling the effects of the large intake of sugar much more than the full-blooded elves were. Elladan bounced on his chair as he explained something to Elrohir, who laughed and giggled at what seemed to be the most inappropriate moments. Legolas turned his attention back to Haldir, who had finished off the cake and was looking for another desert.

"What are those down there?" Haldir asked, pointing down to the far end of the table closest to Legolas.

Legolas stretched forward, picking up a candied apple by the stick that was in it. "What, these?"

"You've had those already," Gimli informed him, puffing on his pipe.

Haldir shook his head. "No, further down."

"These?" Legolas held up a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.

"Yes, bring those here," Haldir commanded with a motion of his hand. Gimli chuckled as Legolas did as he was instructed, setting the plate down in front of the former Captain.

Elrohir and Elladan immediately had their attention drawn to the new tray of treats and scampered over, Elrohir standing behind Legolas and Elladan behind Haldir. "Ooooooo... strawberries dipped in chocolate... " Elladan's eyes got bigger with each word.

"Are they any good?" asked Gimli, reaching for one.

"Yes... er, no! Good for elves, not for dwarves," explained Elladan quickly.

Gimli narrowed his eyes. "And why would that be, laddie?"

"Adar calls them the food of Feanor," blurted out Elrohir before dissolving into a fit of giggles.

Elladan looked to the floor, where his twin had slid. "Yes, Ada says they are sinful... we had better eat them before they are found by anyone else," Elladan said solemnly, plucking one from the tray. "I suggest you leave this to us, Gimli. Ofiicial elf business, you understand." Elladan bit into his strawberry and closed his eyes. Indeed, they were sinful, he thought.

Gimli looked at Haldir and Legolas, hoping to find some amount of sanity, but they were both laughing at Elrohir laughing on the floor. "Elves," grumbled Gimli, shaking his head as he stood. He gave one final look at the four silly creatures before heading for the staircase that would lead outside. "Valinor is most assuredly a far cry from what I expected," he huffed as he left the room, but there was a definite smile on his face.
Parental Guidance Suggested by Zhie
Stepping out into the hazy morning, Gimli refilled and relit his pipe. He rubbed the bridge of his nose, and then at his eyes. Eventually, he was going to need to find somewhere to sleep, but for now he was content to have a smoke and wait for Legolas to finish reacquainting himself with his friends. He had just found a comfortable spot on the steps when the same four elves he had left inside burst forth from the halls and ran at full speed past him and down the stone stairs.

Silvery-blonde hair flew behind the one leading them out as he jumped over the railing halfway down the flight. Close on his heels were the twins, and Legolas brought up the rear, turning back when he took note of the fact that Gimli was on the steps. "Where are ye off to now, silly elf?" questioned the Dwarf, standing up and settling his pipe on the ledge.

"Come, Gimli! I do not know what is wrong, but Haldir's mood changed to one of sudden worry and he raced from the hall after one word only."

"And that word?" Gimli was making his way slowly down the stairs until Legolas answered him.

"Fire!"

The pair sped around the building, coming to the courtyard. A large oak, some sixty or seventy feet in height, was in flames, orange and gold licking the branches near the middle of the trunk. Legolas did not know why the other three stood at the base, worry etched on their faces, nor why Haldir had stripped off his tunic and tossed it to Elrohir. He was now tying back his hair with a handkerchief Elladan had handed to him as he scanned the area. Legolas gasped when he caught the movement in the tree. "Gimli, there are elves in the tree! Three of them!"

Squinting, Gimli took note of the tree and its inhabitants. "They look a wee bit small for elves," he said, and Legolas nodded. They were Elflings, but near to their majorities. Assessing that the fire had spread through roughly half of the tree, Legolas wondered why they had not called for help.

"Damn your grandfather for planting the trees so far from one another. I can't climb up through fire, nor can they climb down," cursed Haldir when Legolas approached. "There isn't another close enough for me to jump from!" Legolas said nothing, trying to find something nearby that was tall enough to reach those trapped in the tree.

"Couldn't you jump down from that balcony?" asked Elladan, pointing to a spot on the house slightly higher than the top of the tree.

"He doesn't have the time to go back inside and climb all those steps," answered Elrohir, and Haldir nodded.

"The fire is spreading too fast, I can not go inside," confirmed Haldir. He looked up at the house and judged the distances between the porches, windowsills, and decorative ledges. "I will still have to use the balcony." Without another word of explanation, Haldir sprinted toward the palace. He leaped and kicked out his foot, using a low flowerbox to push himself higher up. Grabbing hold of the bottom of the second story porch, he swung his legs up and over the railing.

His ascent continued, and Legolas pulled the twins from their state of shock when he placed a hand on the shoulder of each of them. "You must run and awaken the household! Go!" Neither objected as they ran around to the front of the house. Legolas looked back to the tree, and saw that the Elflings had their eyes on the fire below them and not on the Elf who was about to join them in the tree. "Look sharp, you are about to have company!" The Elflings took note and moved to clear from the space closest to the building.

Haldir landed near to the top of the tree, and grabbed hold of the nearest branch to steady himself. The first thing he did once he had his bearings was to take note of the state of the Elflings. None of them looked injured, which was a good sign, but they did look a little less responsive than one would expect of a group in a tree that was on fire. He then saw the bottle of liquor one of them loosely held, and began to develop and idea of what had happened. "Obviously, you can not stay in this tree."

"We can't climb down," one of them said rather angrily.

"No, but you can jump," Haldir informed them.

One of the other Elflings shook his head fearfully. "It is too high!"

"There are some below to catch you," said Haldir, calmly as he could, and trying to ignore both the heat and the creaking of the tree.

"I won't jump!" the first said, crossing his arms stubbornly.

Haldir looked the Elfling over. Perhaps the same height as him, but nearly less than half his weight, and likely much less than half his strength. Haldir grabbed hold of the youth's upper arm and yanked him forward nearer to the edge. He took hold of the hem of the Elfling's britches and easily tossed him over the side of the tree, where Legolas and Gimli stood below, catching the Elfling just before they hit the ground. "Sorry!" called out Haldir before looking to the Elflings. "So, then, which of you is next?"

The Elflings looked at each other, and the fearful one shakily raised his hand. "I'll... I'll jump, I think," he said. Haldir gave a quick nod and motioned for him to come forward. The Elfling peered down over the edge and whimpered. "It's too high!" he squeaked again.

"My friends will catch you, do not fear. Turn around, lean backward, it is easier to catch you that way than trying to fumble for your arms and legs," Haldir told him. The youth nodded and turned, squeezing his eyes shut.

"I don't want to fall... " he whined, his fists clutching the branches on either side of him. Before Haldir could offer any further words of encouragement, the final Elfling in the tree dropped the bottle he held and moved forward swiftly, shoving his shoulder squarely into the scared Elfling's chest. Haldir looked over the side, making sure that the second occupant of the tree had been caught before turning to regard the third.

"He's my brother. He's scared of everything. I had to do it," reasoned the third. He took a deep breath and took up the position his brother had been in a moment before. "Thank you," he said as an afterthought before letting go of the branch and leaning back. Below, Legolas braced himself as the third Elfling fell into his arms.

Setting the Elfling onto his feet, Legolas looked up into the branches. "Are they all out?" he called up, and Haldir nodded. "Get yourself out of there!" Another nod.

Haldir edged across the branch he had been on, preparing to jump down from the tree. He was distracted for a moment upon seeing the courtyard was filling up with elves who had come from the house, including Lord Elrond, who was being led by his sons to the tree. Haldir readied himself to jump, but a sound behind him caused him to turn, shifting his weight. The noise was from the tree - the horrible sound of the tree dying, a wailing noise that mortals accounted to the fire itself, but all elves knew to be a mournful scream. Instinctively, Haldir covered his ears, immediately scolding himself for this. He faltered, losing his balance. Amid the cries on the ground, he heard his name called out by a number of familiar voices, but he tried to keep his concentration on regaining his footing.

In a matter of a few seconds, Legolas watched in horror as Haldir went from standing near the top of the tree to falling into the worst of the fire, now limply hanging across a branch, arms and legs dangling in the flames. He made for the tree, but was pulled back by Elladan and Elrohir. Trying first to shake them off, he managed to knock over Elladan by sweeping his feet from beneath him, while Elorhir was pushed aside. Legolas was unable to do more than touch the trunk before he was pulled back once more, and this time, whoever was restraining him had wrapped their arms around his and had drawn him against them to keep him from climbing the tree. "Haldir!" Legolas growled when he saw no movement from the elf in the tree. "Let go! Let me get him out!"

"It is too dangerous. Gimli!" Elrond struggled to keep his hold on the Elf while he caught the attention of his dwarven companion. "Take down the tree!"

Gimli did not have his large axe with him at the moment, but was hardly surprised when it was suddenly placed in his hands. He turned briefly to see the Lady of the Woods, pale with fright, before heading beneath the flaming branches to try to hack the thick trunk. His first blow did little more than chip the bark, while the second caused his axe to become temporarily stuck. He sweated furiously, and looked up into the tree, and found himself panicking when he took note of the coloring of the elf. Most would think that a pinkish color was healthy, but not for an elf. He put his foot against the trunk and yanked his weapon from where it was embedded in the tree.

Gimli stepped back with his axe, raising it up so that it was straight up and down. He firmly planted his feet and lined up the blade with the branch where it met the tree.

"This is mad, Gimli, you can not take the branch down with a single blow! Let me climb the tree, let me save him!" pleaded Legolas, nearly sobbing now.

Elrond tightened his grip. "Let him do it, Legolas, he does not have to make the blade go through the entire branch, he merely has to bring the branch down."

Gimli tilted the axe over his back and launched it as he stepped forward with as much force as he could muster. The weapon flew through the air, hitting its mark precisely. At first nothing happened, but after a moment, the snapping of wood was heard as the branch twisted under the added weight. Elladan and Elrohir ran beneath the tree, catching Haldir as he slid from the tree. They scurried away before the branch fell onto the ground, carrying Haldir between them.

"To the house!" Elrond commanded, finally letting Legolas go. Legolas ran to the twins, checking first that Haldir was still breathing, and then back to Gimli. He dropped down to his knees and threw his arms around the dwarf, hugging him fiercely, or at least as well as he could, for the Lady Galadriel had embraced Gimli as well.

Elrond looked over his shoulder to the three dazed Elflings that were about to walk off where they pleased. "You are to follow me without question. Come."

"But... " began one of the Elflings. He was silenced by a mere look from Elrond, and the trio followed behind the elflord. In the courtyard, elves were clearing the area around the tree and had begun to dig a shallow trench around the plant to keep the fire from spreading.

- - -

"How is he?"

"Will he be alright?"

"Do you need help?"

"What can we do?"

Elrond snorted, effectively silencing his sons. "You must allow me to answer your questions before asking new ones. I do not yet know, I believe he will be, no I do not, and you can find your mother, if you please," answered Elrond, turning back to the unconscious elf. As the twins left the room, he felt someone familiar enter it.

"Curse me, Elrond, of all times for me to fall so fast asleep." Celeborn knelt down next to the bed opposite the side Elrond was on. "Tell me what you need me to do."

"Leave me alone, Celeborn, I can only use two hands at a time, and I prefer them to be my own!" Elrond sighed, and put up a hand as Celeborn began to move away. "I am sorry, I should not say such things. You are his father, who more concerned than you, and still, you keep calmer than even I. Help me to undress him, and then, perhaps you could find out where the linen cloths are kept. I have all else I will need in my kit." He patted a large pouch that was on the floor next to him.

Celeborn nodded and began to pull the boots off of Haldir's feet. "Might I ask what you intend to do with the three scared Elflings in the parlor?"

"Return them to their parents, but not before they have been properly scolded. I saw those three leave the reception with a number of bottles of wine and much laughter last night. When first I saw them I should have demanded to know their purpose, I can guess now the results of that oversight."

Shrugging, Celeborn said, "Do not fault yourself. I did not even see them."

"You were drunk," answered Elrond. "That far is better than my excuse, for I was merely lazy. And here is the result," he added, motioning to the burns and bruises on Haldir's body. "At least he sleeps, though I know he would clench his teeth and try his best to ignore the pain."

Celeborn could not answer this, for a number of voices could be heard from the other room. Standing up, Celeborn walked into the parlor to find a group of four elves fawning over the Elflings. As soon as they saw Celeborn, they began to glare, and their words became angry.

"What is the meaning of stealing our children?" demanded the harsh voice of one of the ellyth. "How dare you! This is simply uncalled for!"

"How dare you." Everyone, including Celeborn, turned to see Elrond in the doorway leading to the bedchambers. "How dare you to say such a thing. Simply uncalled for madam is the behavior exhibited by these three disgraceful children this past night. Simply uncalled for is what has happened to the elf in the room here. Simply uncalled for is the way in which you came into this room and acted. How dare you, madam. How dare you." Elrond punctuated the each of the words of his final sentence, eyes narrowed sharply at her.

Raising her head high, the elleth returned the glare. "Never did I think the day would come that anyone would talk to me, first daughter of Síriel and Tûlion, in this manner."

"So you're Taralawen," came a voice from the hallway. Everyone turned now to see Celebrian entering the room, one hand on her only slightly protruding stomach, while the other was firmly upon her hip.

"That would be my name," said the elleth.

"Good. I'd hate to have made a mistake," replied Celebrian, and without explaining further, slapped the elleth across the face with the back of the hand that had been on her hip. "You may be first daughter of Síriel, but I am first daughter of Galadriel. You will do well never to forget that."

Sensing the tension in the air, Celeborn moved forward, stepping between Taralawen and his daughter. "I believe that Lord Elrond wished to have a word with all of you," he said, taking hold of Celebrian by the arm and leading her to the hall.

"Just the parents," corrected Elrond. "Follow me," he said, moving back into the room that Haldir was in. Four elves followed behind him, including one very red-faced elleth.

Celeborn brought Celebrian into the hallway and found the twins nearby with very surprised expressions. "The two of you, go into that room and watch those Elflings. Your mother and I need to take a walk." Elladan and Elrohir quickly went into the room, closing the door behind them. No sooner had they done so than Celebrian had collapsed against her father, sobbing.

"Why did I do that? Why did I say that? I've never done something like that before. I always vowed never to hurt anyone. Never, ever, not ever, not after... " her tears drowned her voice, and she was drawn into a comforting embrace.

"Elves like that are no better than orcs," Celeborn finally answered. "We can only hope this terrible event will serve to teach her better manners."

"But Haldir... " sniffled Celebrian.

"Haldir will be fine. I do not look forward to his recovery," said Celeborn. Celebrian looked at her father questioningly. "Do you remember how he was as a child? A sliver in his foot meant he was unable to walk for a week. A broken arm kept him bedridden for months. For the first time in centuries, he does not have duties that need to be placed first and foremost. He is going to thoroughly enjoy himself, for once he truly heals, he shall claim he still needs at least a month to recover. I can guarantee you that."

- - -

"They are Elflings," the other elleth answered after Elrond had lectured on the importance of being accountable for one's children. "We can not watch them both day and night, and boys will be boys."

"No one has the time to keep track of his or her children every waking moment," added her husband.

"Perhaps you might spend some time learning how to discipline your children," scolded Elrond as he applied ointment to the burns on Haldir's arms. The other father spoke up, lifting his hand to draw attention to the door that separated them from their offspring.

"They are too old for privileges to be taken from them, and do not listen to our words," came the argument. Elrond placed the bowl of pungent smelling salve down onto the bed and stepped 'round so that he was nearly touching his nose to the nose of the other elf.

"They are never too old to spank," he said, deadly serious.

"We can attest to that!" came a voice from the hall, a similar voice hushing the first.

"Elladan and Elrohir! Remove yourselves from that door this instant! You have ten seconds to be in your room!" boomed the voice of Elrond, and two pairs of normally soundless feet skidded down the hall until the sound of a door slamming was heard, and then, nothing more.

"Those are your sons?" asked one of the Elves. Elrond nodded, picking up the bowl once more and moving around to the other side of Haldir. "How old are they?"

"Roughly three thousand years."

"They still heed your commands?" pressed the Elf. Elrond nodded again, lifting Haldir's arm and examining it. "With your permission, I would like to speak with my son." The elf did not wait, and opened the door back into the parlor. A yelp was heard, followed by the sounds of an Elfling being practically dragged from the room by his ear. The elleth who was apparently his spouse excused herself and hurried from the room.

"Go," said Elrond, nodding to the door as he wiped his hands with the edge of the bed sheet. "I have wasted my time and words enough on you."

Taralawen opened her mouth as if to say something spiteful, but thought better of her actions when she looked upon the Elf on the bed. She turned and left the room, leaving her husband standing just inside the door.

"I'm sorry," he finally said softly.

"Tell him that," snapped Elrond. Celeborn entered the room with a stack of thin gauzy pieces of cloth. "Tell his father that," added Elrond, nodding his head toward Celeborn. The Elf's eyes widened slightly once realizing the connection, and stumbled out of the room.

"And my father always said marrying Galadriel would have no advantages," smirked Celeborn as he handed a clean cloth to Elrond.

- - -

When Haldir awoke the next day, he felt better than he had in days, and yet, felt worse. He knew he was being watched, and opened his eyes to see Elrond only a few feet away, keeping vigil over him. The half-elf now stood and hovered over him, lifting the cloths that covered his neck and chest to assess the wounds.

"These have nearly healed," Elrond told him, throwing each piece of linen into a pile in the corner. Haldir noted there was quite a pile there already, and that likely Elrond had tended to him many times through the night. He was surprised at how difficult it was to draw breath. "Your lungs still need time to heal and your throat was burned. Talking will be hard, so do not do so unless you must."

Haldir nodded, and accepted Elrond's help in sitting up. He did not feel his hair down his back, and reached around in momentary panic to find someone had tied back his mane, which was missing a good inch or two. "The ends were burned and Celebrian insisted tending to it. I did not think you would mind. It will grow back," Elrond assured the pouting Haldir.

"It's a bit uneven," Haldir complained hoarsely.

Elrond shook his head. "No talking penneth. You can tell Celebrian you are disappointed with her attempt later. Let me take a look at your back." Haldir leaned forward, patiently waiting until Elrond was satisfied with his examination. He felt fingertips prod his back and his shoulders and then, did not feel them again, but knew that Elrond was still looking at something. It was a few seconds before he realized just what Elrond was looking at. He breathed deeply and exhaled, and Elrond helped him back down once more.

"Curious?"

"Yes."

"Erestor."

"Ah." Elrond pulled a pair of light pants and a loose shirt out of the dresser and placed them on the bed. "You may rise if you wish. Walk carefully, slow yourself down and take your time. We will stay as long as you need. I sent the twins home with your parents already. I did not think it was necessary for any of them to stay."

Haldir considered his options. "I think I would like to get out of this bed," he finally said, and Elrond nodded, helping him up, this time so that he could swing his feet around the side. Haldir pulled the pants up over his feet, then stood with Elrond's assistance to pull them up the rest of the way. He sat again and unfolded the shirt on his lap, aware of the fact that Elrond was looking at him, or more precisely, his back. "I forget sometimes that it is there and many have not seen it, though it is not because I make it a point to be modest." Spying a pitcher of water and an empty glass nearby, Haldir reached out for it. Elrond quickly poured a glass of water and handed it to Haldir.

"Drink slowly," he advised, and Haldir nodded. "You must not have had it very long," remarked Elrond. "Such things do not last with Elves."

"Erestor said it is quite permanent. He has one on his ankle that he has had since after the fall of Gondolin," added Haldir as he handed the empty glass back to Elrond, shaking his head that he did not need any more. He hoped he wouldn't offend the advisor by sharing the secret, but Elrond did not appear to be surprised.

"I had always thought he had to keep refreshing it," admitted Elrond, but Haldir shook his head slightly, pulling the shirt over it. "I suppose I do not know all that much about them, then, but it is very rare for Elves to mark themselves in such a way."

Haldir nodded his agreement. "Erestor is the only other Elf I know of who has a tattoo."

- - -

Legolas sat upon the couch in the sitting room, nervously tapping his fingers against the window. He heard a rustle in the doorway, and Haldir appeared with Elrond behind him. Legolas made to get up, but Haldir put up a hand to stop him. From the other couch, Celebrian did rise.

"Haldir will not be able to leave the palace for another day at least, but likely we will be here for a week. Is that satisfactory with your grandfather?" Elrond asked of Legolas.

Legolas nodded emphatically. "I assure you, whatever you need while you are here is yours." He sighed heavily, and added, "I do not intend to stay once you have left and the party is disbanded. I have spoken to my father already, and will be residing at his inn, with Gimli, of course."

Elrond nodded, then looked to Celebrian. "I am in need of rest," he told her, and she went to open the door, smiling to Haldir as she walked past him. Elrond looked to Legolas once again. "You are planning to stay here for some time?"

"I do not intend to leave unless Haldir asks it of me," explained Legolas.

"If he needs anything, I expect you to find me. My rooms are at the end of the hall, and I shall leave the door open." He gave a final nod to Haldir and then left with his wife.

Haldir studied Legolas for a moment, and then gave a resigned sigh. "I am having a very bad week," he finally said, but his voice was difficult to hear and Legolas could tell it pained the other elf to speak. Again, he made an attempt to come to Haldir, but was again motioned to stay seated. Slowly, Haldir managed to find his way to the couch, and dropped down upon it unceremoniously. "Sorry about Greenwood," he finally said, "I should have said that decades ago."

"Sorry I was such an ass about Greenwood," replied Legolas.

"Friends?" asked Haldir.

"I suppose," answered Legolas with a wry smile.

"Good." Haldir pulled one of the pillows from the side of the couch and tossed it onto Legolas' lap. Without further explanation, he drew his legs up on the other side, and lay down with his head on the pillow. "Tired," was all he said.

Legolas was familiar with the behavior, having seen Haldir and his brothers sprawl across one another on many occasions when he first began to visit the Golden Woods. He told them once he would be one of them, the unofficial fourth brother, and found himself being leaned against, sat on, and used as a cushion on many occasions since then, but after so long, this seemed foreign to him. Even when he had been younger it was not something he was entirely comfortable with. It was also not something he had ever done with his own brother, Ilmendin, but happy memories of times with Haldir, Orophin, and Rumil came flooding back, and he placed a hand on Haldir's shoulder. "Sleep then. I shall watch over you," he told the younger elf.

Haldir closed his eyes, his labored breathing worrying Legolas. Reaching behind the couch, Legolas pulled the quilt that rested along the back of it over so that it covered Haldir. He felt Haldir shift slightly and his breathing slowed. The door opened behind him, but he did not need to look around to see who it was.

"So, did you kiss and make up, then, laddie?" asked Gimli after he had closed the door.

"Not exactly," Legolas said, lightly stroking Haldir's hair. "But I believe we've mended things a bit."

Gimli nodded, walking around the sofa to take a seat on the other one next to the wall. "Good, because I'm tired of hearing you sing such forlorn songs about lost love and all that." Gimli tilted his head, looking over at the elf under the quilt. "His eyes are closed. Is that normal?"

"Normal for Haldir," smiled Legolas. He rested his arm carefully and protectively around the other elf's shoulder.

Gimli nodded, and rested back into the cushions. After a while, he asked softly, "Do you still love him, laddie?"

"More than anything," answered Legolas without pause.

"Ah. That's good," Gimli said, filling his pipe. "That's very good."

It was to these words that Haldir finally fell asleep to.
Return to the Kastle of the King by Zhie
"Gimli, where are you going?" asked Haldir, but he realized the Dwarf could not hear him. "Where is he going, Legolas?"

"To the carriage. He will be riding with Lord Elrond and Lady Celebrian," explained Legolas.

Haldir frowned. "I was under the impression that your father was to ride in the same carriage as Lord Elrond."

Legolas nodded. "You are correct, as usual."

"Flattery may get you on my good side, but it still does not answer my question."

"I answered both your question and your statement," was the reply as Legolas crossed his arms over his chest.

Haldir considered this for a moment, and then narrowed his eyes. "You've spoken with my brothers."

"Before coming to the palace, but I knew how to annoy you long before then," smirked Legolas. "Now, into the carriage with you."

Haldir made it slowly up two steps before looking over his shoulder. "What about Gimli? Don't you want to ride with him?"

"I have seen him each day for the last hundred years, I have seen you barely a week," Legolas said, gently pushing Haldir up the remaining steps. "Come on, your brothers are probably worried, knowing them."

This was what finally convinced Haldir to cease his objections and enter the coach. Legolas followed and shut the door after them, causing the carriage to move immediately, but slowly.

"I'm not an invalid, you can instruct the horses to quicken their pace," said Haldir, lounging across one entire side of the coach. Someone had thoughtfully provided softer cushions for the bench and a few pillows as well. He wouldn't admit it, but he was relieved the horses were keeping a slow and steady pace. The path was smooth enough, but one jolt could have caused him many minutes of agony.

After a long silence, Legolas picked up the leather bag that Haldir had brought with him. "Anything interesting for me to do in here? A book to read perhaps?" He was yet unsure of what to say to the elf that seemed now to be sleeping across from him. Riffling through the pack, his hands came across a small volume that he pulled out. "'A Guide to Midwifing?'"

"It's a good read," replied Haldir, not fazed in the least.

Legolas began to page through the book warily. "Since when did you become interested in such a... fascinating topic?" he asked, closing the book rather quickly when he came across the full-color illustrations.

"Since my sister and mother both decided to help increase the population of Valinor." Haldir opened one eye and said, "I stole it away from Valarda, who really didn't have much of an interest in it. All of the ladies of the house have read through it, I thought I might give it a go."

"Haldir the Midwife?" Legolas asked with more than moderate amusement.

"It isn't a bad idea to have the knowledge," countered the younger elf. "One never knows when it might come into play. Besides, what if I have elflings one day?"

"'T'would be a miracle."

Closing his eyes, it took Haldir a moment to understand Legolas' meaning. Picking up one of the pillows, he threw it across the carriage, squarely hitting his companion in the chest. Legolas laughed and pitched the pillow back to Haldir before putting the book away. "Well, I do not need to read it. It isn't anything I need worry about."

"Why is that?" asked Haldir. When Legolas did not answer, Haldir sat up and readjusted the cushions. "Regardless of my jests in the past, I believe you would make an excellent father."

With a wry smile, Legolas said, "I am old, Haldir, older than you can probably imagine me being." Looking out the window sadly, he said, "I am alone and will remain so."

"I very much doubt that will be the case," Haldir assured him.

Legolas sighed and leaned further out the window. "If only I could be as certain as you."

Haldir tossed another pillow across the carriage, but this one was not aimed at Legolas. A moment later, he was sitting next to the other elf. Haldir gripped the bench he was sitting on as he spoke. "I heard what you said to Gimli the other night. You thought me asleep, but I was still awake." Haldir lifted his hand to turn Legolas to face him. "Confide in me, Legolas." He paused, adding something he had not said in many years. "My love."

Legolas closed the distance between them, gently placing his lips upon Haldir's. "I still love you," he said as they parted. "In Mirkwood-"

"Let's not talk about Mirkwood," advised Haldir. "That's what got us in trouble in the first place. It is in the past and across the sea."

"We should still discuss it."

"Later." Haldir took hold of Legolas' hand and brought it to his lips. "I want to hear more about the other thing you mentioned."

- - -

Elrond exited the carriage and then assisted his wife in climbing from the coach. Thranduil had already left ahead of them and was standing proudly before the doors of the King's Kastle. Gimli was looking up at the sign and the large wooden doors. "What do you think of it, Master Dwarf?" asked Thranduil as he grasped the handle of the door on the right.

"I think you spelled 'castle' wrong," he said rather gruffly. Thranduil laughed merrily and shook his head.

"Trust me on this - you need only spend an hour within to find there is little reason to care about the spelling of the sign," he said. "Would you like to know why we call it the King's Kastle?"

Gimli crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes a bit. "I would'ave thought it was due to your kingdom in Mirkwood."

"No… well, yes…," Thranduil said, a little put-off by the fact he had not received the sort of 'please tell me' responses he was used to. "But as you have already said, I could have named it the King's Castle-"

"Why didn'tja then?"

Thranduil paused and took a deep breath. Off to the side, Celebrian was doing her best not to burst out in a fit of giggles, while Elrond had his lips tightly sealed, though his eyes twinkled with laughter. The second carriage came to a stop as Thranduil said, "I found that not all of the elves of Valinor are the same kind of elves I recall from my early days here. That being the case, I also found that by putting words in Westron on the door to one's establishment tended to keep out those who would not have been desired within."

Gimli looked up at the door once again before looking back to Thranduil. "But why did the word 'castle' get misspelled?"

Thranduil and Gimli stood looking at each other, one down, one up, until Legolas approached. "My son, you have the strangest friends I have ever met," he said to Legolas in Sindarin before pulling the door open and motioning that everyone should enter.

Legolas opened his mouth, but Gimli pushed him to enter. "You can inform him later that I can understand a fair amount of elf-talk," suggested the Dwarf once they had walked to the entrance leading to the bar and dancehall. Legolas glanced over his shoulder to see his father still standing at the door with a very shocked Elrond and an amused Celebrian.

"Lord Elrond looks like he's about to faint," Legolas said with worry.

Haldir, who had been silent as the trio reached the door, turned around to see Elrond with a hand on his head and giving Thranduil a somewhat shameful look as the other began to motion to things around the room rather proudly. "Why do I get the feeling he is making comparisons between this place and the First Homely House?"

"You've heard the story about it being an inn, too?"

"Inn?" Haldir shook his head. "Not quite. It was more of a bed and breakfast with a school attached. I did work there briefly, if you recall."

Legolas nodded. "And the riddle is solved. Now, if only-"

He was interrupted by applause in the room as the musicians took their bows. The leader of the group waved her arm above her head to call for silence and announced, "For your entertainment, and upon request of our special guests this evening, the esteemed Lord Orophin will be singing us a tune to tickle your funny bone. Lord Orophin!"

Looking abruptly to Haldir, Legolas was about to suggest that they should perhaps go back outside and get some fresh air, but Haldir was three paces into the crowd on the floor before he could be stopped. "He doesn't know!" Legolas hissed to Gimli. "Orophin and Rumil said they'd never told him what it is Orophin does here, oh, this could be such a disaster…"

His voice was drowned out as the musicians remaining onstage struck up a very seductive number. From the door that led out to the forest in the back came a tall elf, sporting a black wig made of horsehair and an equally dark robe. Orophin was whistled at by elves and elleths alike. "Nice dress!" shouted a voice that sounded an awful lot like his wife, to which he called back, "Shall I wear it home for you?" Snickering and laughter followed as he took the stage.

"Oh, Elbereth, don't let him sing… please… don't let him sing…" begged Haldir as Legolas approached. Gimli had opted to go to the bar where he could sit upon a stool and actually see what was going on. "Legolas, he sings like a horse," he added when he realized he had been followed.

When Orophin opened his mouth, however, nothing but beautiful, flowing notes came from his lips. The voice was easily distinguishable to Haldir, however, and his jaw hit the ground as the song was sung, with Orophin strutting across the stage and acting out much of what was sung with props that were either tossed to him or picked up from the stage.


"I hide behind my robes and I hide behind my books
I hide behind all of the time just gettin' dirty looks
Like some sort of a hobbit hidin' way down in his hole
I'm not really in the habit of bein' wild and out of control

But I'm mis-un-der-stood, Just misunderstood,
M-I-S-U-N-D, E-R-S-T, double-Oh-D, misunderstood.
I'm misunderstood, and baby, up to no good!"


"I need to sit down," Haldir said suddenly, moving to the bar. Legolas remained rooted in his spot until Haldir yanked his arm. "I also need a drink. Perhaps more than one. Considering this is your father's establishment, I think it should go on your tab," suggested Haldir as the singing began again.


"I like to sit and read a scroll before a roarin' fire
And a glass of wine, perhaps merlot, right before I retire
But when I catch someone starin' an they say "Oh, that librarian!"
What they don't know is precisely what I'm sharin', an'…I'm…


Mis-un-der-stood, Just misunderstood,
M-I-S-U-N-D, E-R-S-T, double-Oh-D, misunderstood.
I'm misunderstood, and baby, up to no good!"


Gimli greeted both Haldir and Legolas enthusiastically, patting a stool on either side of him. "Ah've been saving seats for us," he said. "And ah've had a chance to catch up with the lovely young lady we met the last time we were here," Gimli said, raising his mug to Glorcheniel.

Grinning as she retrieved drinks for the elves that had approached she nodded to them. "It's good to see you both again," she said brightly. "Wonderful to have the whole family here, isn't it?"

"Whole family?" Haldir looked in the direction that Glorcheniel was pointing, only to see most of the rest of the occupants of the house huddled at the other end of the bar. Haldir meekly raised a hand in greeting as his mother gave him a little wave and a smile. "I can't believe she's letting him do this," he said, gripping his wine glass tightly.

"What's wrong with it? If you'll pardon me saying, he's always been a little off as an elf," Gimli said, nodding toward the stage where Orophin was walking across the edge with a book balanced on his head as the musicians played an interlude. "He has a lovely voice, too."

"That's not his voice," Haldir corrected, looking darkly over the top of his glass.

"Oh, final verse!" Glorcheniel waved her bar rag at the stage. "This part's the best, I laugh so hard…"

Lounging across the stage with his head propped up by one hand, Orophin continued to fake his singing while he pulled book after book from a pile and tossed them to members of the audience who stood at the front of the stage.


"Whenever I sit behind my desk appearing just to think
Well, I'll tell you now, holy cow! Oh, what a kink!
Beneath Elrond's biography and mappings of geography
I keep Rivendell's largest collection of E-Ro-Tic Po-Et-Try-"


"Oh, Eru…" was all anyone was able to make from what both Haldir and Elrond simultaneously said at completely opposite ends of the hall at the exact same time.


"Just mis-un-der-stood, I'm just misunderstood,
Just M-I-S, forget the rest, and oh! if I could!

It's just,

I lust,

oh and forgive me if I rushed,

but I must

be

mis-under-stoooooooood!"


Orophin danced his way off of the stage, blowing kisses as he was cheered. He exited out the door to the forest with an extravagant bow.

"If it wasn't your brother singing, who was it?" inquired Gimli.

Haldir sighed and buried his head in his hands. "My father." Glorcheniel nearly spat her coffee back into her mug, and turned away, laughing and yet choking at the same time.

Gimli gave Haldir a pat on the back, but he was smirking and glad the elf was staring at the counter and not him. The group of musicians began another tune, and after a short time, Celeborn wandered back from wherever he'd been hiding to join the larger contingency of the house.

"I don't think I ever heard that tune before," mused Legolas.

"No?" Haldir swallowed a large gulp of wine. "It's one Glorfindel wrote. Orophin always thought it rather amusing. I never thought I'd hear it in public. In Valinor. Sung by my father." Each sentence had a bit more of a sting to it, and Legolas decided to concentrate more on drinking and less on talking.

"Excuse me, are you Haldir?"

Setting down the goblet, Haldir turned and smiled at the redheaded elleth who had approached them. "Can I be of some service?"

"Oh, good, you are the one they're looking for. Your brothers have requested you join them in their suite upstairs in the inn," she said, her green eyes trying to stay focused on Haldir's grey ones, but shyly darting over the rest of him as she spoke. "The King regrets to inform you that he will not have any private rooms available for you until tomorrow."

"Thank you, my lady," said Haldir.

The elleth blushed and replied, "'Tis only Tinnuwen, my lord."

"And I am but Haldir to you, my lady," he replied, and gently lifted her hand and kissed it. She smiled politely and hesitated before she curtseyed and left the trio.

"Whoo… why don't you ever do anythin' like that, Legolas?" questioned Gimli.

"Gimli, please," protested Legolas.

"Ah hear you complain about your runs of misfortune, but you know there's more to catching a lady than shooting a few arrows into a target and flexing your muscles."

"Gimli," warned Legolas.

Haldir smirked. "I would be more than happy to share my wealth of knowledge with Legolas."

"Oh, shut up, the both of you," grumbled Legolas, but there was a smile pulling at his mouth.

Glorcheniel was grinning from ear to ear. "I can see having the two of you around is going to be a delight," she said. "Do you want to know which suite your brothers have?" she asked Haldir. "I'm sure Tinnuwen meant to tell you, she's such a darling hostess, but she tends to become a bit flustered around such handsome elves."

"And you aren't?" teased Legolas.

"Oh, please," she said with a wave of her hand. "I have to work with your father now and again without drooling all across the floor and swooning each time he walks past. That isn't to say I don't enjoy looking, because I honestly do. I can just do it without thudding to the ground."

All three stared at her as if she was speaking some foreign language. Finally, it was Gimli who spoke. "I like her," he said, and raised his glass to Glorcheniel.

"I like you, too," she said, picking up a mug of coffee and clinking it against his ale, and they both drank. "Room four," she said to the two blinking elves.

- - -

"You poor, silly elf, you've injured yourself again," said Orophin, shaking his head before carefully embracing his brother. "Nana has told us all about your heroics, as well as the quick thinking of Elrond and Gimli. Isn't it going to be grand having a Dwarf in Valinor?" he asked, leading Haldir into the guest rooms of the King's Kastle that he, Rumil, and their wives were staying in.

"Yes, I do believe it will be," answered Haldir, to the surprise of himself and of his brother. Orophin turned his head and regarded his wife with wide eyes. Valarda merely shrugged and raised her hands palms up, unable to answer his question.

'Did he hit his head?' she finally mouthed to Orophin, who decided to turn back lest Haldir take note of the private conversation going on behind his back.

No rooms could be considered the best, for they were all fit for royalty, but this particular suite was done in greens and golds. Gimli was in the room already, looking around, which mainly consisted of him poking at things with his axe, and being laughed at by Legolas.

"It's going to be a bit tight in here this evening, but I thought more than sleep, we could all use some time together," said Orophin. Besides the four elves who had been staying in the suite, Legolas, Gimli, and Haldir would all be occupying the room, and the twins were also sitting on the floor as well, talking animatedly to Rumil, one on each side of him. Rumil's son, Celebdreth, was perched on the arm of the chair his mother sat on, for the twins and their cousin has begged their way into the suite rather than have to share theirs with their parents.

There was one more elf in the room, one who would not be staying. Galadriel stood up and smiled as Haldir walked directly to her and embraced her in a very loose hug. "Why did it have to be your poor back again?" she asked him, fussing as any mother would. "Is it bothering you much? Shall I draw you a bath?"

"No, the water irritates the burns, or what is left of them." Much frowning occurred and Rumil stood up and snuggled at Haldir's side, asking if he wanted or needed anything. "Just let me use the couch, if you don't mind."

Legolas had already sat down at one end and began to get up, but Haldir motioned for him to sit again. "I have use for you," he teased, and picked up a cushion from the chair, which he tossed over to Legolas.

"Oh, good, he won't be needing my lap, then!" Orophin said happily. "I'm so glad you're back, brother," he grinned at Legolas.

Legolas said something inaudible, and that was probably more like growling anyway as Haldir settled onto the couch and rested his head on Legolas' lap. Rumil joined them, working his way onto the other end and tangling his legs with Haldir's. "Why can't you hold the pillow?" questioned Legolas.

"I'm too bony, or so the great one says," Rumil answered. Haldir swatted at his youngest brother.

"If you ate more, I wouldn't have that problem."

"Better you be Legolas' problem than mine!"

"Oh, this is just wonderful," Orophin said, sitting down on the arm of the sofa. "Sitting around, reminiscing… it's just like old times." He glanced down at his older brother and added, "You're even injured, just like it used to be."

"Orophin, that wasn't very nice," scolded Galadriel.

"'Tis the truth," he pouted. His eyes suddenly lit up. "Do you recall that time, when you were running across the lawn, but you couldn't stop and you suddenly slid, fell onto your posterior, and ended up coming to a stop only when you landed in the river?" grinned Orophin.

"I remember the incident, but that wasn't me," said Haldir. "That was you."

"Oh. Right you are." Orophin chuckled, and his eyes lit up as he pointed a finger in the air, just recalling something else. "Ah, remember that time you got your hand caught in the jar of jam and when you pulled it out you fell on your butt and broke your tailbone?"

"That was you," replied Haldir dryly, and those in the room did not suppress their snickering. Orophin blinked and pondered this as he reached behind and felt his lower back, and wincing as he fully remembered the event.

"Oh... yes. Well…" His eyes light up again, and he moved to the floor, closer to Haldir, and pulled on the hand that had been thrown haphazardly across his older brother's eyes. "BUT! Remember the time you tripped UP the stairs?" Orophin chuckled madly, and Haldir sighed.

"That was you again." Haldir sat up slightly, looking down at his brother amid the laughing elves and dwarf. "What has gone on up there, have I been imposed over every embarrassing moment you've ever had?" he asked, tapping on Orophin's head.

Orophin nodded. "You should see yourself in those ugly dresses Ada made me wear during diplomatic missions." Haldir rolled his eyes and settled his head back down on Legolas' lap. "Wait! I have one!" Haldir glanced over warily and Orophin continued. "One day, we were playing outside, and you ran at the Great Mallorn shouting 'Toro, Toro!' and you bashed up your nose. Blood everywhere. It was fairly interesting."

Haldir sat up abruptly and gave Orophin a long and strange look. "Toro, Toro?"

"'Tis Southron."

"We were playing hide and go seek, I was shouting 'Oro, Oro', for I could not find you, and ran into the tree on accident."

"It isn't as if I was doing things like sticking my hand in jelly jars on purpose," pouted Orophin.

"Yes, you were!" shouted all three of his brothers, including their 'adopted' one.

Orophin smirked at himself. "Yes, I suppose I did." He grinned, and then frowned as he looked at Haldir. "But it was never me who was upset. I always remember you crying about it, that's why I think I thought you were the one always getting hurt."

"I did not like to see you in pain," answered Haldir, but Orophin shook his head.

"Oh, no. I do know for a fact that you were the one responsible for tripping me, kicking me, punching me, and biting me on occasions."

"Biting?" questioned Legolas, looking down at Haldir with amusement.

"He's a biter," nodded Orophin.

Haldir glared at his brother, and then said, "That was different."

"'Tis fine for you to hurt me, but not for anyone else," said Orophin, moving to sit on the floor next to his wife.

"Correct. Eldest brothers have that advantage. It's in the rules."

"What rules? I want to see these so called rules."

"You aren't allowed to," Haldir informed him. "It is a secret society of firstborn males to which you do not belong."

"I can attest to that," grinned Elladan, raising his hand.

"So can I," Elrohir said. "And for the record, Elladan's a biter, too."

"I wonder if that's in the rules?" mused Orophin.

"You'll never know," smiled Haldir.

Orophin shrugged. "I'll find a way. I always find a way, if I really want to know." He paused and stretched his arms up over his head, letting one of them drop across Valarda's shoulder.

"Not having a child just so you can smuggle a copy of the rules from him."

Orophin promptly removed his arm from her and leaned back. "Celebdreth, who's your favorite uncle?"

"Uncle Haldir."

"Second favorite?"

"Uncle Elrond."

"How'd you like to make some money, kid?"

Orophin's offhand line caused an eruption of laughter in the room. Celebdreth shook his head and crossed his arms.

"Fine, be that way," sighed Orophin. "Allow your poor uncle to live in ignorance."

"How is that any different from any other day?" asked Celebdreth.

"Well, now you're out of my will," added Orophin.

Legolas looked at Orophin with immense surprise. "You have a will?"

"Naturally. Think about it. How many times have you threatened to kill me? At least a dozen, right? Multiply that times every elf in Valinor…" Even Orophin laughed at his own joke. "Ah, well, I do recall one time where both of us were hurt," Orophin said to Haldir. "Remember when we were swinging from the railing on the tree and I lost my grip, and you tried to grab hold of me, and we both just fell straight to the ground? Very ungraceful move on my part," he admitted. "Nana, you were in a panic, Haldir was crying, and I was just poking at my injuries."

Galadriel frowned. "I don't recall that."

"You don't remember?" Orophin rolled his eyes. "You lifted up my arm, it was practically limp. Just hanging there from my shoulder. You lifted it up, and you just lost it."

Deepening her frown, Galadriel slowly shook her head. "I'm sorry, but I just can't remember it, Orophin."

"You were definitely there," Haldir said sleepily. "You wouldn't leave us, but you didn't want to move us, and there wasn't anyone around. Maybe you blocked it out. It was a fairly traumatic experience."

"Maybe I did," Galadriel said, but her voice was unsure and she looked a little worried that she could not recall the incident.

"Poor Haldir, though," remarked Orophin. "He was just bawling like an elfling."

"I was an elfling."

"But older than I!" Orophin shook his head.

Haldir opened one eye. "Did you see what your arm looked like? It was hanging at a very unnatural angle!"

"Halli, you were crying your eyes out," Orophin said. "Why can't you just admit that?" Orophin looked up to Legolas and said, "He's a very sensitive elf. Are you sure you want to keep him?"

Haldir's eyes flashed open angrily and he nearly injured his youngest brother as he yanked himself away from Rumil and Legolas. He crossed the room to the door, thinking it would lead to the hallway. Instead, it opened to the porch. He considered going back for a moment, but then exited as he heard movement behind him, slamming the door on his way.

The air was cool and chilled him uncomfortably, but he ignored it and stared out over the dark forest. It was not long before the door behind him opened, and he did not need to look to know who it was.

"Why is it," questioned Haldir, "that you feel a need to embarrass and humiliate me?"

"What?" Orophin stepped next to his brother and put a hand on the elder's shoulder, but it was shrugged off. "Halli, you're overreacting. I was just telling stories."

Haldir snorted with indignation. "At my expense. Always at my expense."

"That isn't true," defended Orophin.

Nodding with his jaw set, Haldir said, "No, you're right. Tonight, you also did it at the expense of Erestor. I can only hope you will never do what you did in the bar in front of him."

Unknown to them, an elf had silently moved just outside the door to the porch, yet they had not noticed, yelling at each other as they had. The elf stayed silent, watching and waiting should he need to intercede.

"What is this about? Really. Your damned pride. Well, Captain, you can either swallow it right now or go back to living in your birch tree, because this is going to end. Your constant grousing. Poor Haldir, he's so sad about every damned thing that's ever happened to him and he's just going to milk it for all it's worth. Go ahead, but don't expect any more sympathy from me. You can't pine away for her, then go jump him in a carriage, and ten minutes later come crying to me again about her not coming to Valinor. You can't keep having it both ways."

Sighing heavily, Haldir tried to put his hand on Orophin, but it was the younger brother who shied away. "Oro, understand, I've been under a lot of stress--"

"Dammit, Halli, we miss her, too." Orophin blinked his eyes furiously and wiped beneath them. "We miss her, too. And Estel. And Glorfindel, and… blast it, I even miss Erestor," he admitted. "I want you to be happy, Halli. All of us do. Just don't think you're the only one dealing with this grief. We will share it with you, but I just wish you wouldn't make it out to be so much worse than our own."

Legolas chose this moment to step out of the shadow and between the two brothers, placing an arm around each of them. After hugging them against him, he kissed each of his 'brothers' on the brow, and then shoved Orophin into Haldir and left the porch.

Haldir opened his mouth, but Orophin interjected. "Do not even try to tell me nothing went on in that carriage. Gimli's already informed me that you rode over in one separate from the rest. No," he said, lifting up his hand. "Do not give me details."

"I wasn't about to," grumbled Haldir, but the harshness of his tone had lessened.

Orophin pouted. "So you're not going to give me details?"

"I didn't think you wanted them."

"But you'd have told me. If I'd have asked?"

"Orophin," sighed Haldir. "When have I truly ever kept anything from you?"

Orophin smiled and patted his brother on the head. "I don't want to fight with you," began Orophin again. "I don't like it when I'm angry at you or when you're angry at me, you orc."

"Warg."

"Balrog."

"Your mother," grinned Haldir.

"I'm telling Nana," sang out Orophin in a sing-song voice as he tried to turn to go, only to be pulled to the ground and tickled behind his knees. "Oh, you orc!" Orophin made an attempt to reverse things, and eventually managed to pin one of Haldir's arms behind his back while he tickled his brother's side.

"Nana! Oro's tickling me!" shouted Haldir. "Ow, Oro, I'm injured!"

"You should have thought of that before you started it!"

In the sitting room, Galadriel stopped Legolas from going back out on the porch to try to solve things again. "Best to just let them be," she suggested. "I know from personal experience, they'll just drag whomever tries to break them up down into the fray with them."

There was a sudden knock on the door. Being that he was already standing, Legolas walked through the hallway to open it. On the other side was a small group of ladies, and at the head of the group stood a tall blonde dressed as if she were going into battle, one hand on the hilt of her sword. She looked Legolas up and down and said, "You're not Thranduil."

"Oh, that's his son!" said one of the ladies in the back of the group, and she came forward apologetically, being the hostess from earlier. "I'm terribly sorry," said Tinnuwen, biting her lip. "There have been so many room changes this week. Sorry to have disturbed you," she curtseyed and began to lead the group away.

"No bother, really," Legolas said, and added, "Is there something the matter you need help with?" He couldn't help but notice all of the ladies, with the exception of Tinnuwen, were dressed in tunics and leggings or tight leather breeches, many of them with weapons at their sides or sacks slung over their shoulders.

The elleth who had knocked on the door turned her head and looked him over. "I think we can handle this," she said, causing some of the rest of the party to laugh. Tinnuwen merely smiled at him politely and wrung her hands.

"Delian and her company have asked to use the caves this evening, but they want to have privacy. I need to find the King and speak with him to see if this is possible. Again, I am terribly sorry that we inconvenienced you. Good evening," Tinnuwen said, and led the group down the hallway.

Legolas closed the door and went back into the sitting room. "Wrong door," he said in explanation, sitting down on the floor next to Rumil. Orophin and Haldir had come in from the porch and were both sprawled on the couch, still laughing at some private joke as their mother rounded the room to say good night to everyone before leaving.

Slowly, the elves retired to one of the two bedrooms or to the back parlor where there were two more couches, until all that remained in the main room were Haldir, Orophin, Rumil, and Legolas, conversing about a great many things. When the conversation waned, Legolas mentioned the odd group at the door, which prompted more questions.

"Orophin, you've been in these caves, I know you have. Tell us what they are like," said Haldir, still lounged across the couch with his eyes closed.

Orophin shook his head. "You have to see them. It takes the fun out of it if you just tell someone what's down there."

"Rumil?"

"He's right, Halli. Perhaps tomorrow we could show them to you," offered the youngest.

Legolas leaned back in his chair. "I am strangely curious as to what that group was going to go and do. My first impression was that…" he glanced over to Orophin. "We should go down and see what they're up to."

"Oh, it's been quite a few hours," spoke Haldir. "Surely, they aren't still down there."

"On the contrary, they'll probably still be there in the morning," said Rumil. "But you heard them, they don't want any disturbances."

"They're my father's caves," Legolas said. "By all rights, I should be allowed to see them whenever I choose." He looked at Orophin again. "I know you're just as curious as I am. And Rumil doesn't have any sense of adventure--"

"Not true!" pouted Rumil.

"-and Haldir's an invalid--"

"If the rest of you are going, I'm going," Haldir said as he sat up.

"Excellent!" Legolas practically ran to the door, still trying to speak quietly despite his excitement. "Come, brothers! Let us have ourselves an adventure!"
Crit! by Zhie
"There is no escape. You will tell us where the treasure is hidden, or you will die."

Orophin turned to Legolas and kicked him. "Nice. 'Let's go explore the caves, brothers.' I'm not ever going to say yes to you again."

"If you would have told me what was down here, we wouldn't have come!" Legolas responded, shoving against the other elf with his shoulder.

"So you're the one who knows where the treasure is?" Delian smiled and crouched down beside Orophin. "Tell me where it is," she said, tracing a finger along his jaw, "and we can forget all about this entire incident."

Smiling, he leaned his head forward. "I have it with me," he smirked. Delian's eyes widened in victory. "Just a little lower and you're find it," he said. With a puzzled look, Delian moved her hand to the pocket of his vest. "Lower," he said seductively. She reached for the pocket of his pants. "To the left... no, more to the right... yes, center right there, and down just a wee bit," he said.

Delian narrowed her eyes. Standing up, she glared at the pair of elves who had been fighting and said, "Bind the feet of those two, I don't want them injuring any of us."

"We're not going to hurt you!" protested Legolas. "You're the ones threatening to kill us, and quite honestly, that's not very lady-like!"

Haldir made a noise of discontent and Rumil regarded him with a worried look. "Excuse me, but my brother is in quite a lot of pain," called out Rumil from the opposite wall that he and Haldir were sitting against. "Please, will you untie his bonds? He won't do a thing, honestly."

Throwing her head back in laughter, Delian shook her head. "Not a chance. He's the biggest one of the four of you," she said. "Now, I'm going to give you an hour to think about it, and when I return, either you will tell me the location of the hidden treasure, or I will slit the throat of the skinny little rude one," she said, pointing a knife at Legolas.

"What?!"

"Go ahead!" shouted Orophin. "I'll even help hold him down." Legolas glared at him and lashed out with both legs, managing to do little more than knock against Orophin's foot.

Delian gave each of the four a once over again, and repeated, "One hour," before she headed out of the alcove the prisoners were in. She shook her head as she directed two of the party to guard the entry and then took in the two new arrivals. "Ladies, I thought I made it clear what time we were starting," she said, playfully, and then exchanged hugs with the two elleths who had just joined them.

The red head shrugged. "Our husbands would NOT come to bed," she complained, adjusting her 'wizard robes'. "Lachien, Priestess of the Flame, reporting for duty," she chuckled. Beside her was a giggling elleth, with dark hair, dressed in warrior garb. Her curls were pulled back into a thick ponytail; quiver filled, and bow in hand.

"And Yavannis, brave huntress of the forest?"

"Aye!" answered the elleth, regaining her composure. "What have we missed?"

"We slaughtered a troop of orcs, and found a piece of a map that will lead us to the Treasure of the Blue Pheasants, a thieving guild from long ago. There are other treasure hunters here as well. I thought there was to be one party, but Ilmendin really outdid himself. He's leading one, and he got his brother to lead the other, although, they're doing a terrible job of it," she whispered. "Very unconvincing as actors, and one of them is outright lewd!"

Chuckling again, the redhead said, "Reminds me of my husband."

"Oh, trust me, you'd want to sock this one in the mouth," Delian said. "I have no clue who the other three with him are, but this has got to be their first time."

"Poor dears," laughed 'Yavannis'. "Should I go in and scare them a little?"

Delian considered this and then said, "No, I think the youngest one is about to wet himself already. Best to leave them be a bit, let Legolas have some time to sort it out. I'd like this game to be a little more interesting than it has been. Now, Ilmendin's group is still wandering - they call themselves the Laughing Dogs, so if you see any paw prints on the walls, it's their code. We've yet to break it, and they have a 'cave troll' with them."

"Oh, that is superb! Shall we follow with you, then?" asked 'Lachien'.

Nodding, Delian motioned that another torch be given to her, and then led the company down another tunnel.

- - -

Orophin counted the stalactites in the area again, and then glanced across the alcove at Haldir. "What?"

"I could have been in a bed. I could have been sitting at the bar. I could have been lounging in a tree. But no, I'm stuck in a damp, dark, smelly cave. Thank you, Orophin, thank you ever so much."

"Oh, Balrog wings, you'd have pestered me about it later and claimed that you could have gotten us out of this mess had you been here!" Orophin countered. "At least you're here, and you can't say it later, and I'm glad! This is one time I won't have your arrogant 'I could have saved you' attitude. Besides, you want to blame someone, blame him," he said, nodding at Legolas. "That's what I'm doing. Oh, wait, that's right, you can't blame him," he added, "because you're in love with him again. You want me to crawl over and switch places so the two of you can lean against each other for support?"

"No." It wasn't Haldir, nor Legolas who spoke, but Rumil. "I get to sit by Halli. I know he won't bite."

"I don't bite," growled Legolas, staring at the wall, no doubt coming up with an array of things to do or say to Orophin once they had found a way out of the situation.

Haldir blinked and then turned to look at Rumil. "You're the biter! I know, you bit me numerous times when you were a child. And once or twice later in life as well!" Rumil grinned impishly.

"That's it, I'm finding my own way out of here." Legolas braced himself against the wall, and somehow, managed to get into a standing position. After that, he merely stood, looking around for a good minute or two.

"I have news for you, Legolas," announced Orophin. "You've yet to find a way out and you look like an ass."

"You are an ass," spat Legolas as he turned to regard Orophin, but his sudden movement landed him back onto the floor.

"And now, you're on your ass," Orophin said politely.

Rumil pouted and leaned against Haldir. "If they come in again, can we say we'll help them look for the treasure if they promise to gag those two?"

- - -

"I don't know how they got in, Adar. Do you want me to remove them?"

Thranduil peered down through the hole in the floor at the quartet below. There were the caves, and then there were the 'caves', a wide network above the caves themselves so that those in charge could watch the events that transpired. Ilmendin looked at his father intently as the elder elf sat back up again. Over the floor was a series of pinholes, left unnoticed by those in the caves. However, they served as lookouts for those running the events, and to keep control over what went on in them. Each was coded by color for location, and Thranduil sighed as he looked down at the orange-red splotch on the floor.

"No. Leave them in. I don't want to explain it to either side, and it's part of the game now. It would figure your brother would be too curious to wait."

Ilmendin nodded his head. "I must return, then." He stood and walked away, leaving Thranduil to look down another hole, this one marked the same color but with a symbol drawn to mark it as a doorway. "Excuse me, Adar?" he heard Ilmendin call. "Adar, the other two we were expecting have entered. Do you still wish me to leave Legolas and the rest down there?"

Thranduil pondered this carefully for a moment, smirking a little. "I think so. It will make it so much more interesting."

- - -

Yavannis drew back her bowstring and fired an arrow past her party and into the crowd of masked, laughing elves. She checked her grin as she heard it hit against the cloth of one of their opponents, and reached behind her to grasp another arrow. These were the kind used for practices, tips replaced with small sacks made from deer intestine, filled with red dye. Delian was further back, a 'wound' marked by a bluish dye being tended to by the party's healer. Two others with swords stood at the ready in front of her, and to her left, Lachien was mumbling something incoherent with an open book in her hands.

The second arrow flew, hitting one of the elves closing in on them - a good shot, one that hit his chest. He grabbed at the stain on his clothing and fell to his knees as those in the hallway clashed at the center with dulled blades. Suddenly, Lachien dropped her book to the ground and shouted something equally nonsensical to her party. All of the ladies ducked simultaneously, those with swords in the front taking a step back and readying for defense as Lachien thrust her arms forward with her fingers spread.

"Damn, we should have seen that coming!"

"Why weren't you watching the wizard?"

"I forgot they had a wizard!"

"Hush, hush," called out one from the back of the group of elves, and Ilmendin, masked as the others, stepped forward. "Alright, close range, party of..." he counted those with him, "seven, and a troll, well, six," he corrected, looking down at the elf who was playing dead, "and... what's your level now?"

"Sixth," Lachien said proudly.

Ilmendin made some notes with a piece of coal on a small notebook he had. "Right... Morion, you're dead, Cirithor, you're dead, the rest of you, minus ten, and cave troll flees in terror down the passage."

"Retreat and bury the dead!" called out Cirithor as he dropped to the ground with a laugh. Morion scowled and sat down, obviously upset with the way things were going.

"We can't retreat, I have a blood oath against Delian," Ilmendin reminded them, but the rest were already gathering up the 'dead' elves and heading down the passage.

"That's your problem," called out one of the remaining 'wounded' elves. "She has fire, and we have to find our troll!" He gave a howl down the passage, and it was answered as they retreated.

Ilmendin snorted and stepped forward to follow them, but felt the dulled tip of a blade at his throat. "Where are you going?" Delian asked sweetly. "You haven't told us where the treasure is. At the very least, you could give us a map."

Tilting his head up proudly, he answered, "I've nothing to say to you, traitor."

Delian smiled. "Bind his hands," she ordered. "Lachien, Yavannis, take him back to the other prisoners."

- - -

"That is a very rude word to use, Legolas," Orophin informed him. "One I would not expect to hear coming out of the mouth of a prince."

"Truth hurts, doesn't it, Orophin?" Legolas spat back.

"A little, but not as much as my foot up your-"

"Stop it!" shouted Rumil. "I have a headache, and I'm tired, and cold, and hungry. So if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

"Fine," said Legolas.

"Fine," said Orophin.

Legolas shifted against the wall. "Fine, then."

"Right," replied Orophin.

"Yes, exactly," snorted Legolas.

"Why do you always have to get that last word in?" questioned Orophin.

"Me? What about you? You've had as much opportunity to shut up as I have," countered Legolas.

"Halli, if we're left forgotten down here, would it be unethical to kill and eat them just so they'd stop making so much noise?"

Haldir did not have the time to answer as the gate barring the doorway was unlocked. In walked a wizard, a fighter, and a priest who had his hands tied together. All of the four elves stared up in disbelief, while the two ladies stared right back with wide eyes.

"Val?" questioned Orophin, taking in the robe-clad elleth leaning on her staff. She said nothing, blinking twice, and then hardening her expression.

"Put him against the wall with those two," she instructed Yavannis, who nodded and approached Haldir and Rumil. Leaning down a little as she did so, she asked, "What are you two doing in here?"

"Nenniach, please, can you untie us? I don't know what happened, we were just exploring, and then-" began Haldir, but one of the guards from the door stepped in.

"What's going on in here?" questioned the elleth warrior, her sword drawn. Yavannis stood up, startled, and Lachien stepped back toward Orophin.

"Not a thing, just delivering one of the prisoners, as we were sent to do. Just thought we'd try to get a little information from the others," Lachien said.

The guard lowered her sword. "That's not what you were sent to do. I'm sure Delian is expecting your return in haste."

"Oh, of course," Lachien said, shifting her right leg back a little so that it was closer to Orophin and hidden from the view of the others. "We were just on our way," she added, discretely lifting her robe up from that leg to reveal a dagger hidden, tied loosely to her boot. Orophin did not ponder, did not hesitate - he twisted his back so that he could grab the weapon, slit the ropes on his hands, and had his feet unbound and the dagger to Lachien's throat in moments.

"Stay right where you are," warned Orophin. "I spent nearly my entire life on the Northern Fences, and I can tell you right now, I was in worse situations than this and made it out alive. Put down your swords," he ordered the two at the door, for the other guard had entered the room as well. "Kick them this way," he demanded, and they did so. "You," he said, nodding toward Yavannis, "against the wall with your hands to it. You two, as well," he said to the guards. As soon as they had done so, he walked, still keeping the dagger to his wife's throat, across to Rumil.

Orophin repositioned one arm around Lachien's neck, and then tossed the dagger to the ground near Rumil's hands before gathering both of Lachien's wrists and holding them to her back. Rumil easily cut away his bonds, and then Haldir's. He glanced across the way at Legolas. "Do we have to bring him with us?" he asked as he walked across the alcove.

Legolas said nothing, merely narrowing his eyes as Rumil sliced through the rope binding his feet, and then his hands. He turned to look for Ilmendin, but he was gone. "Sneaky one, your brother is," remarked Rumil as he made one more check around. He handed the dagger back to Orophin, and picked up a sword. "I think we should take one more prisoner, just in case," he said, and after disarming Yavannis, he firmly placed his hand around the back of her neck. "Come on, then, if you don't fight back, I won't have to tie you up," he said.

Haldir retrieved the last of the swords, and Legolas took possession of the bow and arrows taken from Yavannis. He also yanked a torch from the wall as they began to make their way down the caves. They only made it a hundred or so paces before hearing some sort of calls from the direction that they came. "Dammit, we should have done something with those guards," Haldir realized, limping slightly and keeping one hand against the wall for support.

"No time now," Orophin replied. "Valarda, my love, which way is out?" he whispered into the ear of the wizard.

"Take a left, straight down the tunnel, a right, and then-"

"Oh, you are sly," he said, leading them down the right passage. "Still playing the game, but making it interesting. Please, love, how many times more have I played in these caves than you? Sometime, we'll have to have an adventure together," he mused.

"Aren't we already?" she asked.

"So, you're a warrior down here, then?" Rumil was having a similar sort of conversation with his own wife.

'Yavannis', or rather, Nenniach, confirmed this. "It was a nice change of roles. I'm getting to be quite a good archer."

"We'll have to go out on a hunt together sometime, then," suggested Rumil. "I think it would be a lovely time, just the two of us."

"I'd like that," she said as they made their way quickly to the exit from the caves. Bright light greeted them as they emerged, and so did Thranduil and Ilmendin.

The King of the Kastle took one look at the party, shaking his head. "What IS it about the four of you that makes you so impatient?"

"Well, with us," explained Orophin, "it has to come from our mother. With him," he said, nodding back toward Legolas as he lowered the dagger, "are you sure he wasn't adopted?" Legolas narrowed his eyes and looked at Orophin darkly. "Oh, I don't really mean it, you old grouch," said Orophin. He practically pounced a surprised Legolas and hugged him. "You really need to lighten up a bit," he said.

"We are going to have so much explaining to do to Delian," said Nenniach, removing the tie in her hair. Valarda was shrugging off her heavy robes, revealing her usual tunic and leggings beneath.

"I think," said Valarda, "that right now would be a great time for us to leave, think of a good excuse for what happened, and come back for the next round in six months or whenever it's planned."

"Explaining to Delian? Excuse me, slightly confused husbands and brother-in-law here," reminded Haldir.

"Later. I need a drink first," said Valarda, and Nenniach nodded in agreement. As they walked away toward the stairs that led to the bar, their husbands following them.

Haldir turned around to look back at the opening to the caves. "So, it's a complex game is what it is," he said, putting aside the fact various members of his family were pretending to be wizards, priests, and warriors.

Ilmendin nodded. "If you're interested in going back in," he said to Haldir and to Legolas, who was examining the structure, "my own party is dwindling in numbers."

"I'm not sure, being injured, I probably shouldn't," said Haldir.

"So are nearly all the members of my party," smiled Ilmendin. "Besides, it's this, drink at the bar, or sleep."

Haldir weighed the possibilities and looked at Legolas. "What do you think?"

"I think," Legolas said with a cunning grin, "that it's time to introduce a dwarf into the game. I shall be right back!" he announced, and ran up the stairs to find Gimli.
Goldilocks and the One Dwarf by Zhie
Elrond and Celeborn were just dropping off the last of the new items that Celebrian had brought back with her from the large cities they had visited when Haldir stepped out of his room with a very worried look. "Ada, someone's been sitting on my bed," he said.

"Are they still there?" asked Celeborn in confusion.

Haldir glanced over his shoulder into the room. "Well, no. But it was after we left, someone was here."

Shrugging to Elrond, Celeborn walked to Haldir's room, feeling much like he did when accusations of monsters living in the closet would be made by his eldest. He came to stand at the foot of the bed, looking over the pristine covers, the neatly folded quilt at the end. "How can you tell?" asked Celeborn.

"That. Right there." Haldir pointed to a slight wrinkle. "And Nibbles is out of place."

"Ah." Celeborn squinted and looked at the blankets. "Perhaps it was Mitzi?"

"Ada!"

Celeborn exchanged looks with Haldir, and the two of them headed down the stairs in the direction of the call. They were greeted to Orophin, looking very irate as he paced in front of his door. "Ada, someone has been sitting on my bed." He flung open the door halfway, having to shove it the other half due to all of the clutter in the room.

Peering in from the doorway, Celeborn answered, "I wouldn't be surprised if there's a troop of orc and a half dozen trolls hiding in plain sight in there."

"But Ada, someone was on it. There's a shift in the mattress."

Celeborn looked at the bed, still from the doorway. "I don't know how it is that you can tell something like that with the current state of affairs."

Impatiently, Orophin tapped his foot. "There was something prowling around in here. Two somethings, I'd wager," he continued as Rumil came up from the stairs and reached the door to his rooms.

"See?" prodded Haldir. "And you thought I was lying," he huffed.

"I did not think you were lying," countered Celeborn. "I only-"

"AIYA!" Rumil ran out of his bedroom, slamming the door behind him. He was looking around frantically and panting with his back to the door.

"What? What's the matter?" questioned Celeborn, always and still overly protective of the youngest.

"I think my room is haunted," he blurted out. "Things are moved around, and what's more, someone was sitting on MY bed!"

"Are they still there?" asked Celeborn with little amusement.

"I don't think so." Rumil turned and opened door a crack and peered into it. "At least, I truly, truly hope they aren't." The door was opened just a little wider. "I think, whoever they might have been are gone."

"It was probably just Mitzi," Celeborn said matter-of-factly. "She was here all alone for all of that time, perhaps she even invited a few friends in-"

"To move my purple rabbit?" questioned Haldir with disbelief in his voice.

"To move my picture frames?" wondered Rumil.

"To pick up my lingerie and drop it on the floor?" Orophin angrily shook his head. "I don't think so."

The other three elves gave Orophin odd sorts of looks, and he sighed with exasperation. "Not mine, really, Valarda's, but she only wears it for me. You know what I meant." Nonetheless, both Haldir and Rumil shifted away a little.

"I'm sure that whatever it was, it was a harmless thing. None one arrived during our vacation except for Legolas and Gimli. Now, I need to stop up the road to retrieve the goats and the-"

"Legolas," said Haldir with realization, nodding.

"And Gimli," added Rumil.

"Well, what the heck would they go playing with my lingerie for?" Orophin said, throwing his arms in the air. Haldir and Rumil backed up a little more, and Celeborn thankfully made his escape across to the other half of the house.

Entering his room, he found Galadriel rocking in the new chair his father had sent back as an early present for the anticipated arrival of their new elfling. With a low sigh, he kicked off his boots and sat down on the bed. "Why is it whenever we get back from what is supposed to be a relaxing time, I always feel so worn out?"

"Because although Elrond might be head of the house, you are still head of the family. It's a tough job keeping things in order, especially while out traveling." Galadriel continued to rock with her eyes closed.

"Ah." Celeborn leaned back on the bed. "I suppose I shouldn't complain about that." Suddenly, he stopped and sat up. "Darling, was someone sitting on our bed?" he asked, looking over the coverlet.

"Mmmhmm. They were digging in our closet, too," she said, still rocking in her chair.

"Was it a... certain elf and his dwarf?" he asked cautiously, giving the pillows a suspicious look.

One eye opened. "Mmmhmm."

"And you know this because..."

"Because Legolas told me. He apologized for looking through the closet, as he was only looking for clues as to whose house this was." Again, her eyes were closed as she continued to rock.

"And if Legolas was in the closet-"

"Mmmhmm."

Celeborn practically fell off of the bed as he scrambled away from it. "There was a dwarf sitting on there?!"

"Mmmh- well, I did change the sheets and the blankets when we returned," Galadriel told him.

"Oh. Well." Celeborn cleared his throat and sat back down on the edge of the bed. "Thank you."

Smiling mysteriously, she added, "But there has been something in that bed since I did that."

Celeborn looked over the bed. "Dare I ask?"

Galadriel simply smiled.

"Is it still there?" he asked, used to these sorts of games from her.

Standing back up, Celeborn turned down the coverings, all the way to the sheets, frowning when he found nothing. Each of the pillows was picked up and set back down in place. When he sat down and drummed his fingers atop of one them, he felt something a little lumpy and out of place between the pillow and the casing.

"What's this?" he asked, pulling a small pouch tied with a strip of leather.

"You won't know until you open it," came the reply.

His hands felt the small item, finding whatever it contained seemed soft and malleable. Carefully, he untied the leather, and tears came to his eyes when he found what it contained.

"Feanor... Gimli... there were others who asked for it, but if I would have known your desire I would have fulfilled such a request long ago." Galadriel's eyes were open now and she observed her husband's reaction as he walked from the bed to the rocker, kneeling down before her. "Does this make you happy?"

"You make me happy," he said to her. He looked at the half-braided lock of silvery gold hair that he had lifted out of the pouch. "I never meant you should do this."

"But I wanted to. I can see that it does make you happy," said she, stroking his hair back from his face. "I want you to be happy."

"I am happy." He placed his chin on her knee, and lovingly stroked the bulge of her belly before taking hold of one of her hands. "With you, I am always happy." He rose up a little, and she leaned forward, so that they were kissing passionately when the door to their room was opened after only a brief knock.

"Grandfather, there was someone- oh, bleh." The door was quickly shut. "We have some concerns to discuss with you once you're, um, done, with, uh, whatever it is you're doing," called out Elladan.

" 'Bleh?'" they could hear Elrohir respond as they twins walked away. "I think they're cute."

"Yes, but cute gives way to images that aren't so- dammit, El! Stop thinking about those things! It might not upset you, but damn you, keep it in your own dirty mind then!"

Neither Celeborn nor Galadriel could help their outburst of laughter. "Welcome home," she teased him.
I Love You by Zhie
"Haldir?"

Opening his eyes slightly, Haldir squinted in the darkness. Though his mind was cloudy from his dreams, he knew it was his mother who was calling to him - anyone else entering the room would have brought a candle. As the joke had gone over the past few months, he and Galadriel had been roommates. He could not get comfort with his back from sleeping on the bed and so took to the couch, while his mother, heavy with her pregnancy, was resigned to resting in the rocker ever since the little one had begun to explore the possibilities of leaving her small home and had dropped down a bit a month prior.

The first thought was that she would be born early, but when she was not, it was only a matter of a few days before extra help had gathered, staying at the house 'just in case'. Among the newly assembled midwives was Thranduil, who had said he was merely there make sure that there was no panic in the house, but he had actually retrieved a great number of things Galadriel requested during the month. Once, Orophin swore he saw the past King of Mirkwood massaging his mother's feet and singing a lullaby to the unborn babe, but none of his siblings believed him.

"Haldir?"

"What?"

"Shhh!" hissed Galadriel.

"What?" Haldir was sitting up now, blinking and rubbing at his eyes. He realized that there was no familiar sound of the rocking chair, and looked up to see her sitting very still. "What's wrong?"

Galadriel breathed in sharply and grasped the arms of the chair. "Where is that book?"

Blinking once more, Haldir's eyes widened and he scrambled to the table. "Here, right here, should I get Ada?"

"No, all he did was panic when Celebrian was born," she mumbled.

"I'll wake Elrond," he amended, but as he passed, his mother reached out and took hold of his arm.

"Don't you dare!" she scolded him. "There is no way I want Elrond to see me like this. Go and get a blanket and-"

Haldir bit his bottom lip as he felt her nails dig into his wrist. She winced and shifted a little, and so he stood waiting for her command. "What?" he finally asked.

"Get Thranduil."

"What?!"

"Get-"

"Artanis." The tall elf stepped into the room. "I am here. What do you need?" When she didn't respond, scrunching up her face and clenching her teeth, he took charge. "Haldir, rekindle the fireplace, and then I want you to find three or four light blankets and some smaller cloths, nothing fancy. And a pitcher of cool water from the well." He knelt down beside Galadriel, taking her hand gently from her son's arm and into his hand. When Haldir turned from his work at the fire to see the skin on Thranduil's hand where his mother's fingers held it turning white while the elf did not flinch, he somehow gained a great deal more respect for him.

Thranduil watched Haldir gather the blankets from the back of the couch, waiting for calm to come briefly to Galadriel. "Where do you want to be?" he asked finally.

"Down by the sea," she pleaded. "Please, take me there."

Shaking his head, Thranduil stood up and then bent over, sliding his arms under her knees and behind her back. "I do not think that wise."

"But I want-"

"I know what you want," he said, his voice hushed and soothing. "Haldir, meet us in the garden," he said as he left the room.

Once he had gathered up the necessary items, Haldir silently left the house for the garden. In a corner, in a semi-fenced area surrounded by vines, was a moderately sized pond filled with cool, glistening water. At the moment, however, his mother was actually in the pond, and Thranduil's legs dangled over the side of it, boots gone and leggings shoved up to his knees. Pulling the bench as close as he could, Haldir set the pile he had carried out onto it and then knelt between the bench and Thranduil.

Motioning for one of the cloths, Thranduil took it from Haldir when he handed it to him and dipped it into the water. "By my reckoning, you have three hours, my dear, and after that, the sun rises," he said, half mocking. Galadriel laughed weakly as Thranduil dabbed her forehead with the cool water. "Haldir's here," he added, cooling off the cloth again.

Haldir reached over and took the hand she stretched out to him, coming to the sudden realization that though the light was dim and he could not be entirely sure, she was not wearing a stitch of clothing. While this should have perhaps seemed odd, it didn't. It actually seemed to be natural. "Whatever you need, let me know," he said.

"Just stay here for me, little one," she told him. She squeezed his hand again, and apologized afterwards.

"No, Nana, squeeze as hard as you want. It makes up for all the times I nearly pinched your fingers off when I would scrape myself and you'd have to bandage it," said Haldir. He looked to Thranduil, who had gone to the bench and was meticulously rearranging the items. "You've done this before," guessed Haldir as the older elf sat again.

Thranduil nodded. "Birth is a natural thing. You don't need a 'healer' for it, pardon my saying. If all goes well, the mother needs only encouragement and support. Not an excitable Peredhel jumping around with books and... things..."

"Were you there when Legolas was born?" asked Haldir, the conversation helping to keep his mind off of the dull pain in his hand. Again, Thranduil nodded.

"I was there for both of my sons. I am not afraid to admit, those were the two scariest times in my entire life. Ilmendin's birth was frightening; I was quite young at the time. Avisiel hardly trusted anyone, so when the time came, she refused to have anyone else in the room. I knew nothing; twice I had to run to the door to ask my father a question. But in the end, everything was just right and that night I stayed up into the morning, my wife beside me and my son cradled in my arm."

"Wow." Haldir traded his right hand with his left. "That's incredible."

"It is. I hope one day you experience it. I could not begin to describe it to you," said Thranduil as he rung out the cloth and held it to Galadriel's forehead. "How are you doing?" he asked.

Opening her eyes, she looked up and nodded. "Just another few minutes." Thranduil returned the nod, pulling a small leather case from his pocket.

"Haldir, take this inside to the fire and sear the blade, then bring it back. Not for too long, it just needs to be clean."

Taking the case, Haldir snuck back into the house and did as he was told, returning to find his mother was repositioned up on a bit of a ledge. "Soon, now," confirmed Thranduil. "Less than an hour, this is going very well. You're doing well, and I'm sure she's going to be just fine." Looking to Haldir, Thranduil said, "Cool it in the pitcher of water, and then hold fast to it or you'll need to clean it again, and I don't think we've the time for it now."

Patiently, Haldir held onto the small knife, but nothing more seemed to be happening. "I feel like I'm being watched," Galadriel finally managed with a faint smile. Haldir looked immediately to the ground, but Thranduil continued to cool her face with the cloth.

"You wondered about Legolas," Thranduil said after another few minutes. "He was a difficult case." Thranduil's voice took on an unusual tone. "I nearly thought we were going to lose him, and Avisiel." Closing his eyes, he continued. "Everything seemed to be going so well, except that she wasn't gaining weight quite the same way as she had for Ilmendin. When a year came, she still looked so thin, and on the night of his birth, I realized too late that he was not on his head as he should have been, but was upright. What's more, it was happening too fast, his foot began to come out, and Avisiel cried out that he was struck, that he was being strangled. I prayed in my mind to anyone I could think of. I pleaded with Eru," he said, his eyes opening and a single tear falling down his cheek. "I begged him to help me."

Thranduil paused as another rogue drop slid down the other side of his face, wiping them away with the back of his hand. "Bloodshed in battle is a horrid thing, but when it's something like what I saw, one I loved so dearly hurting so much... I would have given anything for it to have been me and not her. But somehow, and I can only imagine how," he added, looking up to the fading stars, "against the odds, he was born, and Avisiel survived. There isn't a day," he added, wiping his face again, "that I don't thank HIM for those three miracles I was given."

"Legolas was the tiniest elfling I ever saw, but he had ten toes, and ten fingers, two arms, two legs, a good head on his shoulders, and a perfect set of lungs. I swear, he cried for months and months. And I told him to just go ahead and scream as loud and as long as he wanted to, I could handle that. And he did," Thranduil chuckled to himself. "It's a fascinating thing, one I hope you have the chance to experience one day as a father."

"Maybe we should get Ada," Haldir said, but Galadriel shook her head adamantly.

"When I was in labor with Celebrian, he asked if there were herbs to ease the pain. I told him I needed none and he replied, 'Not for you!' Twice, I expected him to faint. He was half drunk by the time I was holding her." Galadriel frowned then. "Although, I do suppose he would want to be here. Maybe-"

"No time for that now." Thranduil pointed to the blankets. "I need that small one, yes, that's it," he said, entering the water. "Now, watch carefully and do as I ask, if you would be so kind. A most amazing thing is about to happen."

- - -

"I missed it?" Orophin huffed his way across the kitchen. "I missed it! I missed the WHOLE thing. All of the good parts!" he whined. "Haldir got to be there, he always gets to be there."

Haldir sat in the corner of the kitchen, rocking the sleeping elfling in his arms. "Hush, Oro, you'll wake the baby."

"Oh, there she is!" exclaimed Nenniach in a soft voice. "Oh, I want to hold her!"

"Get in line," advised Rumil, pointing out the row that had formed. "And watch out for that one," he said, acknowledging Celeborn. "He keeps thinking he has the right to skip the rest of us."

In the parlor, two elves sat bundled in blankets by the fire, one drinking coffee and the other leaning against him. "You may not get to see your daughter until she's ten at this rate," said Thranduil, watching the fire.

"Fine by me," Galadriel said. "It's been a year since I've had a decent nap." She closed her eyes and snuggled closer to him, and then suddenly craned her neck and kissed his cheek. "Thank you," she said as she leaned her head back on his shoulder.

"No need," he said modestly. "I enjoy it, or I would not have offered." Kissing the top of her head, he said simply, "I love you."

Galadriel drew back in shock. "What?"

"You heard me. Don't look so surprised." He tucked her back next to him. "Oh, not like that, you're as bad as your sons."

Blushing, Galadriel relaxed. After a few minutes she sat up again and gave Thranduil another kiss on the cheek. "Love you, too. Don't particularly agree with you sometimes, but... you're a good elf." Looking over her shoulder, she said, "We, uh... let's not..."

Chuckling, Thranduil pulled her back to lean against him comfortably. "Your secret's safe with me," he promised as he sipped his coffee.
Oops by Zhie
Rumil poked his head into Orophin's room just as the door leading outside could be heard closing. "This is the last one," he hissed, holding it out in his palm.

"It's so small," pouted Orophin as he came away from the window where he had been watching his wife climb into a carriage with his mother.

"Take it or leave it," threatened Rumil.

Climbing over the piles of stuff in the room, Orophin came to the door and took hold of the pumpkin by the stem. "Mmm... I don't think Valarda's going to go for it. It's half the size of all of the others." Rumil scowled and tried to take it back, but Orophin clutched the squash to his chest. "Mine! Mine, mine, mine, mine-mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine-"

"Honestly! This is it. The end of it."

"Understood," answered Orophin, pumpkin still clutched to his chest.

"No more," warned Rumil, shaking his finger at his brother.

"Yes, yes." Orophin set the pumpkin onto the bookshelf, on the highest place that wasn't cluttered.

Rumil simply glared.

"Thank you, Master Stork," said Orophin, patting Rumil's head.

"I am not a stork," Rumil said, folding his arms over his chest.

"You just delivered my pseudo child to me. What are you, the delivery penguin? The delivery hippopotamus? The delivery marmoset?"

Shooting Orophin a whithering look, Rumil said, "If you must, go back to the stork."

"Will do," answered Orophin as he flopped down on his bed for a nap, saluting Rumil from his prone position.

"I give you three days," mumbled Rumil as he left the room.

"I give me three hours," shouted Orophin before settling back into reverie.

"I know something is up."

"Mmm-hmm," answered Orophin, rolling over in bed and pulling the pillow to cover over his ears.

"Elrond is avoiding me. More than usual," stated Haldir as he made an attempt to pace through the sloppy mix of clothing, dishes, and other various odds and ends that littered the floor. "And, Rumil keeps smirking."

"Mmm-hmm."

Narrowing his eyes, Haldir reached over and yanked the pillow away from his younger brother. "You're not in on something for my birthday, are you?"

"In on what?" questioned Orophin, blinking as he tried to regain possession of his pillow.

Tossing the pillow back over Orophin's head, Haldir went to the bookshelf and leaned against it. "I don't know why I bother to ask. If you're plotting, you wouldn't tell me." He picked up the pumpkin from the shelf and started to toss it into the air and catch it.

"You're catching on. And quick. How many centuries have you spent working that one out?"

Pausing, Haldir turned the smooth object in his hands and contemplated throwing it at Orophin, except that it would likely have been thrown back. "Bite me," he spat, tossing the pumpkin in the air again.

"With pleasure. Bring me your arm," came Orophin's muffled voice.

"I just know you're up to something," said Haldir, ignoring Orophin's request. "At least with Legolas around now, I can- oops," he said as the stem of the pumpkin broke off. He fumbled with it, but it fell to the ground, and was instantly lost in the mess.

"Oops? I don't like oops." Orophin's face poked out from under the pillow as Haldir hastily set the pumpkin back onto the shelf. "Ai! Red!"

"Red?" Haldir glanced at the squash as Orophin scrambled out of bed. "It's orange, Oro."

"No, it's Red! You've irreparably damaged my son! Aiya, Valarda won't let me hear the end of it..."

Haldir blinked. "It's... a pumpkin..."

"No, it's my son!" Orophin shouted, grabbing it from the shelf.

"Your wife gives birth to pumpkins?" asked Haldir in a monotonous and disbelieving voice. Orophin glared at Haldir as Rumil entered the room.

"Did you kill another one?" asked Rumil, staring at Orophin.

"No, Haldir amputated his... his... his leg, I think," pondered Orophin, turning the small, orange object in his hands. Looking down at the ground, he bent over to retrieve the stem from the mess.

"It's not his leg, it's where it was attached to the plant. That makes it his placental cord," Rumil corrected.

"It's solid and long." Orophin rose up, and taking the retrieved piece, beat it against the shelf, causing his brothers to jump. "It's an arm or a leg or something."

"If it's hard and long," said Haldir, "then it's probably-"

Haldir was silenced by the hard backhanded slap against his shoulder. "You made my son a eunuch?!"

"No! And I didn't make your PUMPKIN anything, either!" yelled Haldir, grabbing the stem and tossing it back to the ground.

"It was bound to fall off anyhow," reasoned Rumil, trying to calm them down. "Besides, Oro, to really be a eunuch-"

"La la la la la la la la!" shouted Orophin, hand on one ear and pumpkin against the other. "La la la la la!"

"Why can't you admit I'm right sometimes?" retorted Rumil, trying to pull Orophin's hand from his head. He managed to pull the pumpkin free instead and shouted into Orophin's ear as their father got to the door, "Castration means you cut off his-"

"LAA LAA LAA LAA!"

"You know, Oro, if we castrated you, you could sing that in soprano!"

"Alright," announced Celeborn from the doorway, "I'm going to count to three-"

"You twit, I'm too old now!"

"I'd still do it!"

"Halli, that's disgusting!"

"-and when I get to three-"

"You're disgusting, you brought it up in the first place!"

"You said you broke his... * thing * off."

"His thing, Rumil? Really, how old are you?"

"-there will be silence. Ready? And- three." Celeborn paused.

"You're an ass," said Orophin, finally breaking the silence as he shoved Haldir.

"You're a bigger ass," he countered, shoving him back.

Leaning against his father, Rumil pouted, "Sometimes I wish I was an only child."

Sighing, Celeborn patted the head of the son that was snuggling against him and asked, "Why are you both asses now?"

"There needs to be a reason? He's always been an ass," spat Orophin.

A noise of discontent came from Haldir. "Me? How about you? You started it."

Bowing his head, Celeborn reached up and pinched his nose. "Please, please don't do this, not today. Actually, not ever again, if any of you can help it. Why can't you just... punch each other like my brother and I used to do? It was such an easy way to finish an argument rather than bickering like puppies."

"I wasn't bickering," piped up Rumil. He handed the pumpkin to Celeborn. "I tried to get them not to fight over this."

"This?" Celeborn took the pumpkin and tossed it up into the air, catching it easily. "Well, mine now."

"It's mine," growled Orophin, his concentration suddenly completely off of Haldir.

"It's a pumpkin," argued Haldir.

Glancing between them, Celeborn tossed it up into the air once again. Orophin made a swipe for it, but missed. "Well, now it is mine." For emphasis, he lifted it up and took a large bite.

Orophin immediately fainted, falling down into the piles of clothing on the floor. Rumil doubled over in laughter, having to back up to steady himself against the wall.

Chewing and swallowing, Celeborn looked down at Orophin worriedly as Haldir nudged his brother with his foot. "Should I be concerned?"

"No, he'll wake up eventually," Haldir responded, nudging Orophin again. Behind them, Rumil had slid down to the floor, still laughing and holding his stomach.

"That's his child!" burst out Rumil. "He wanted to... to practice..." gasped Rumil between fits of laughter.

"Oops," replied Celeborn, taking another bite.
Elrond's Sweet Revenge by Zhie
Haldir looked back over his shoulder at the closed door to his bedroom. His heart was pounding madly, and he half expected it to be thrown open at any moment. Once more he peered down at the ground below his window. The opening was smaller than the ones in the office, but if he jumped from the office, those below the window would most certainly see him do so. Jumping out of the window here was much safer.

As quietly as he could, Haldir squeezed through the open window by sitting on the ledge and leaning backwards, trying his best not to scrape his shoulders on the edge. As soon as he was nearly parallel to the ground, he let go his hold and fell backwards onto the palms of his hands. He had anticipated the drop well and propelled himself backward, landing in a crouched position, but on his feet, a moment later.

Listening intently, he could hear only the sounds of merriment in the parlor. Using extreme caution, Haldir stealthfully moved away from the house until it was little more than a speck of light in the distance.

- - -

"Happy Birthday, you thief!" Legolas slapped Haldir on the back as he took up residence on the stool next to him. "You're getting to be an old elf, you know that?"

Haldir hushed his friend, and then spoke in a low voice. "Please, not too loud. It isn't until tomorrow, actually. And stop calling me a thief, your father offered you Greenwood, and I took it only after you declined."

"I am so terribly sorry, your majesty," Legolas corrected. "Happy Birthday, King Thief."

"Thanks," grinned Haldir as Glorcheniel set his usual down on the counter in front of him. Haldir drew the glass of white wine closer, swirling the liquid uneasily.

"Haldir, it is only another birthday. Another year older, and yet you seem to fret over something." Legolas glanced across the room for a moment, smiling at what he saw, then nudged Haldir and pointed. Gimli, though he had never been able to master dances such as waltzes had developed his own style of immobile dancing. At any given time, it was not unusual for him to have three or four ellith crowded about, dancing with and around him.

Haldir shook his head and sipped his wine. In the very few months that Legolas and Gimli had been in Valinor, they had become quite the talk of the place. Besides their seemingly odd friendship to those who had lived in the realms of Middle Earth, many of the elves in places such as the King's Kastle had never seen a dwarf, as they had never traveled beyond Valinor. Still others found their fascination with the tasks the elf and dwarf had helped to accomplish at the end of the Third Age.

When he turned back to Legolas, he found he was being stared at. "What?"

"You haven't told me."

"Told you what?" wondered Haldir, drinking the wine, and keeping an eye on the doorway in case someone from his family happened in. The twins and Celebdreth he could handle, but he wasn't entirely convinced yet that his father and brothers wouldn't have anything to do with Elrond's planned revenge.

"Why you're on edge."

"I am not on edge." Haldir gulped the wine, still watching the doorway. "I am worried only, for Elrond I think may be plotting against me this night."

"Ah. Well, I do not believe he has ever come back here, so you can stop watching the door," said Legolas. Haldir sighed, looking back to the dance floor. He watched the various elves, and the dwarf of course, and couldn't help but notice his eyelids drooping after a few minutes.

"My word, but I am feeling tired this evening," Haldir said. He stretched his back, threw back the rest of his wine, and waved over the bartender to see if he might get some tea.

"Well, you should be. It's taking quite long enough already."

Haldir looked up, turning slowly to Legolas, who was drumming his fingers on the counter impatiently. "What?"

Legolas picked up Haldir's empty glass and sniffed it. "I had Glorcheniel drug you. Although I think she probably put enough in to subdue a pony."

"You bastard!" Haldir grabbed at Legolas, but succeeded in stumbling off of his stool onto the floor. He shook his head trying to clear it, but his head was getting cloudy and his eyes were loosing focus on everything.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell," a voice said, mimicking his own occasional haughtiness. He heard it, the words being spoken directly in his ear, and yet, he felt miles away. "An alliance once existed between Elves and Half-elves. Long ago we acted foolish and drank together. I come to honor that allegiance." Legolas grinned, but Haldir was paying more attention to trying to get off the floor and less to what the other elf was doing to see. "Apparently, this same thing was done to your father when he was your age."

"Oh, ha ha, how dramatic," slurred Haldir, grasping the leg of the stool in an attempt to stand. "And what does Lord Elrond of the House of the Pink Sea Birds wish to tell me?"

Legolas tilted his head thoughtfully, as if straining to remember. "He wishes you a happy birthday and extends an invitation to a private celebration."

"Tell him I am disinclined to acquiesce to his request."

"Ah, he told me you might say that. But you're the guest of honor, so it is my duty to make sure you are there." Moments later, everything dulled and the world around Haldir darkened to grey.

- - -

Legolas rode onto the beach, steadying Haldir's slumped body in front of him as he slowed his mount. Next to his horse trotted a dappled grey mare, carrying Glorcheniel and Gimli, who had wholeheartedly refused both the idea of riding back alone or staying at the King's Kastle. Legolas had been able to easily persuade his father to allow Glorcheniel leave from her duties. After all, it was Valinor, and work here was meant to be fun. The King of the Kastle himself pulled upon the reigns of his own horse, slowing down the steed that likely may have been mistaken for a horse of a dark rider with its midnight coat. Ilmendin did not stop his horse, racing it toward the water where it frolicked in the foam of the sea before returning to the group.

Elladan and Elrohir raced over when they saw the horses approaching. They helped Thranduil with his load, and then Ilmendin when he returned with his horse. Unlike the majority of the residents of Valinor, Thranduil had insisted upon bringing his own horses to the Undying Lands, and had enough to continue breeding them. All of them had the blood of the horses of Rohan in their veins, and two even boasted themselves to be children of Shadowfax. Ilmendin's horse was one of these, and the snowy white mare cantered over, a little proud, but also a little playful, as she nipped at Elrohir's shoulder when he patted the side of her neck.

As the twins and Ilmendin unloaded the barrels from the back of Mirromage, Thranduil marched Ithir to the large hole that had been dug in the sand. "It is much too big, Elrond," he commented, sliding gracefully from his horse.

"It isn't very deep, though." Celeborn jumped down, showing that the walls of the hole only came up to the middle of his chest and that he could climb out easily.

"It is still deeper than I anticipated and larger than I thought it would be." Thranduil glanced at the four barrels that had been brought along and shook his head. "We do not have enough."

"Last time you said you only used two barrels," Elrond told him, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, yet slightly worried.

Thranduil nodded. "And last time, we used an indoor bathing tub."

"Celeborn!" scolded Elrond. "You neglected to mention that part to me."

"It was a very humiliating episode in my long life," replied his father-in-law. "I've tried to block out as many of the details as possible."

Elrond looked down into the hole. "We could fill part of it in again," he suggested.

By now, the majority of the elves on the beach, and the dwarf, were gathering around the hole, looking down into it. "What we could do is mix it with water. That would help fill the whole hole," suggested Legolas.

"Won't work. It wouldn't mix well, and most of it will sink to the bottom. That would defeat the entire purpose." Thranduil looked around the area. "You don't have many trees or I would say you could line the bottom with leaves."

"What if we had something heavier on the bottom? We could add enough water to get a sort of quicksand down there on the bottom," said Orophin.

"That would mean we would have to carry the water over, and get the hole damp enough so that the water did not seep out. We do not have the time for it." Thranduil looked around the group in alarm. "Where is our victim?"

Legolas raced back to his horse in haste, pulling Haldir's body down from it.

"Did you think you would just leave him there?" asked Ilmendin incredulously as he helped his brother carry Haldir toward the group.

"I brought him here, I thought someone else might think to do with him whatever they intended."

"Not over here!" commanded their father, and the brothers stopped both in movement and argument. "Put him next to the tree. Bind his hands, behind his back, just in case."

"Ooo... I'll do that!" volunteered Glorcheniel, a bit more eagerly than she had planned to have sounded as she bounded over to the birch tree.

"Celeborn!" The voice came from the direction of the house, and everyone turned to see Galadriel standing on the porch of the third story of the house. "You're not getting that tunic torn up, are you? I hardly have the time to mend the clothes you wear out, I do not have the patience to fix what you intentionally destroy." Her voice was commanding, yet not very loud. In her arms she held the elfling, and was continuing to feed her throughout her lecture. "Take it off right now, I will not have you snagging it up or getting the hem filled with sand."

"Mae govannen, Galadriel, Lady of Light!" called out Thranduil as he bowed.

"Don't mae govannen me, you rogue!" she called back. "I blame all of this on you for making up that silly rhyme!"

Thranduil grabbed at his heart as if shot by an arrow. "Tis always the messenger who takes the blame."

"And it isn't even a good poem!" she went on, ignoring his comment.

Celeborn held up the tunic above his head. "Are we satisfied, then, my glittering maiden?"

Galadriel stepped forward to the edge of the rail, holding one hand over it while the other cradled the elfling. Celeborn trudged over until he was beneath it, and then threw the garment into the air. Galadriel caught the collar of it. "I'm putting her to bed soon. Be aware that if I am awakened in the early morning hours, either by elfling or by noisy, reckless mob, you shall be the one I come after, dear one."

"I think truly you should give Haldir that honor, for it is his birthday."

Galadriel failed in attempting not to smile. "Go easy on him."

"This is Elrond's present, not mine."

"Elrond?"

Elrond jogged over to where Thranduil was standing. "Yes, Sa'Nana?"

"Play nice with your brother," she insisted. "But... make sure I don't miss it." There was a bit of something mischievous in her eye as she turned to go back into the house.

"We've figured it out," announced Celebdreth. "We're going to put rocks around the edges, so it'll still be deep in the middle, but then we don't have to fill in the hole at all."

"What rocks? These rocks?" asked Thranduil, pointing at the small stones and pebbles along the beach with his toe.

Elrohir shook his head. "No, no. Bigger ones. More like…uhm…" Elrohir looked around the beach. "We don't really have any big rocks here, do we?"

"What do we have?" mused Elladan, sitting down on a log that had washed up on the beach years ago.

"Apparently, not much," confessed his brother, sitting down next to him.

"Seaweed," remarked Gimli. "You have enough to choke a horse. Three or four, by the looks of things. It's easy to carry and you can put it in the hole on the bottom."

"Brilliant," said Thranduil. "You should have brought a few more dwarves with you, Legolas, I forget often how crafty they are."

"They'd have to be, Ada, to have been able to escape our dungeons," added Legolas.

Ilmendin looked a little skeptical as he began to gather seaweed. "I will give credit to the dwarf for coming up with the solution," he said, "but I fail to remember a time when we were able to detain anything in our dungeons for very long."

- - -

When Haldir regained his senses, the first thing he noted was the evening breeze. The crisp fall air sharpened his mind quickly, and he felt the tingle in his arms, the smooth bark upon his back. Only his leggings were still on, but he thanked the Valar for them all the same. If Legolas was a party to this, then likely there were a few more elves here as well.

Instead of working upon the ropes binding his hands, he tried first to remove the blindfold from his eyes. His work made more noise than he had hoped for, and moments later a call from Rumil made all aware of Haldir's alertness.

"Traitors," he hissed as he recognized the familiar sounds of Orophin and Rumil approaching.

"We were blackmailed. No choice in the matter," said Orophin, holding tightly to Haldir's arms as Rumil untied the rope.

"I can believe that for Rumil, but as for you, there is no secret you have ever wanted to keep hidden about yourself," retorted the eldest brother.

"It is for Valarda's sake I am here, brother." Haldir found himself hoisted up as Orophin continued. "Although, I rather think she planned to help anyhow."

"She is here?" Haldir tried to stall them from leaving the tree, but was nearly dragged forward. Rather than be hauled out like a rabid dog, Haldir walked forward with them, head held high.

Orophin grinned. "Many are here, brother. Shall I name them?"

"Do not dare."

Haldir tried to pick out the voices as they came nearer. Most assuredly, Elrond was there, and he was glad to be blindfolded so that he would not see the wide grin on the peredhel's face. This was not merely revenge for the flamingo incident, but for a number of other pranks. The more Haldir thought of things, he realized Elrond had never fallen victim, and had always bested him in the end. The extreme measure he was willing to take now made sense, then, for he was likely rather sore to have been finally caught unawares. When they stopped, Haldir attempted to get his bearings. They were obviously on the beach, from the sand under his feet, but not quite to the sea, the waves still in the distance. "Good evening, Lord Elrond and company of my impending doom," he said, taking the initiative to speak.

"This is going to be great fun," Elrond announced as he came up to Haldir. "As promised, you were duly warned of this."

"Aye," said Haldir ruefully. "And I would have gotten away from here, if it weren't for that meddling elf." Snickers followed this line, and a deep chuckle as well. "Oh, curse the ages, he brought the dwarf out here? That's just lovely. I am so pleased to know the dwarf has seen me in such a state."

"The dwarf isn't the only one!" called out a high-pitched giggling voice.

Haldir's jaw dropped. "Anovariel? Who else is here?" As laughter began to mount, Orophin cleared his throat.

"Only a few of your closest friends and dearest acquaintances. Some of the Galadhrim, some of your Greenwood subjects, a few others from Imladris. Let me put it this way," began Orophin again, "if ever anyone would have liked to have seen you become completely overcome with humiliation, this was the time for them to show up."

"Looks a little like half of Valinor came," added Rumil.

Haldir knew he was blushing furiously at this point. "Just throw me in and be done with it then, and let me swim back to Middle-earth with at least a little dignity left."

"By the morning light, I swear you shall have none," Elrond announced. "Now," he said, speaking so that he was addressing the entire crowd, "I suppose some of you might wonder just what exactly we are doing standing around a big hole in the ground and what precisely is in that hole." He pulled out a scroll from the pocket of his tunic. "I have in my hand eight lines of writing that explain just that. However, since it is Haldir's birthday, I thought he might wish to be the one to tell them to us."

"Must I?"

"You don't have to," said Elrond, "but your brothers have instructions that if you do not, they are to strip you of the rest of your dignity."

Haldir took a moment to let the words register. He felt Orophin's free hand tug on the side of his leggings, and knew the elf was grinning like mad. "Alright, fine!" he shouted, as the tugging got more insistent. Taking a deep breath, he cleared his throat and recited,


"If I should still be alive
At three thousand one hundred forty-five
When that day does arrive
Collect all the honey from the hive
Let me sleep, but when I revive
Into it I shall then dive
And this task I will survive
At three thousand one hundred forty-five."


"That was lovely."

"Brought a tear to my eye."

"Can we just get on with it?" insisted Haldir, struggling for the first time from the grip of his brothers.

Elrond silenced the crowd with a wave of his hand. "Of course. All you need to do is dive in." Orophin and Rumil released their hold on their brother, letting him stand free.

"Wait. You aren't throwing me in. I could just turn and walk away now."

"You could," agreed Elrond. "But... wouldn't that be retreating? Captain?"

Haldir reached up for the blindfold, but stopped himself. The last thing he wanted was to see all of the elves standing on the beach, watching him. And although the thought of jumping into a pit filled with honey was not high on his list of things to do while in Valinor, neither was become the laughing stock of the place. True, if he jumped in, he wasn't going to hear the end of it for the next few days. But if he refused to, he wouldn't hear the end of it for some time.

"Remember, Haldir," added Elrond, as if he was reading his thoughts, "I wore that stupid pink hat all day long."

Haldir stepped forward, testing the ground until he found the hole. "Is it deep?"

"Very."

He took a deep breath, covered his nose with his hand as he turned around, and let himself fall backward, tucking in his legs. The fall wasn't as bad as he had imagined, and there was something spongy that he landed on. He felt the sticky substance cover him, and cringed at the thought of trying to get it out of his hair later. He was able to stand after a moment, trying to wipe the goo from him. He heard the applause overhead, and couldn't stop himself from laughing.

Near the edge, Celeborn smirked, shaking his head. "I wasn't nearly as covered as that when they did it to me," he told Galadriel, who had made it away from the house for the moment, leaving the elfling in Celebrian's care.

Galadriel nodded, then turned Celeborn around and kissed him. He looked at her strangely, as if wondering for what reason she had done so. "I just want you to know ahead of time that I really love you," she said. Celeborn still looked confused, and recognized too late what she intended when Galadriel's hands pressed firmly on Celeborn's chest, pushing him backwards. Celeborn tried to regain his balance, but slipped over the edge, knocking Haldir back into the pit of honey and covering himself thoroughly. When Celeborn stood up, shaking himself off, but managing to get more of it back on in the process, Galadriel called out, "Happy belated birthday, Elrond."

"Thank you, Sa'Nana." Elrond walked slowly to the edge, hands behind his back.

Haldir felt his father carefully getting out of the mess in the hole, and then felt a hand reaching back down for him. Grasping it best he could, he scampered out of the pit with help from Celeborn.

"Now?" asked Orophin.

"No!" Celeborn was able to see it just before it happened, but Haldir, still blind, didn't know what hit him until he removed the blindfold. No one could have figured that he and Celeborn had been covered in honey, for now they were plastered with thousands of pink feathers.

"I knew from the minute I saw them littering the beach what to do with them," said Elrond proudly. "Happy birthday, Haldir. If you wish, I give you leave to use my beach to clean up," he said, waving toward the water.

"How thoughtful, my lord," said Haldir. "But I think first, I should really show my... appreciation to my family for this wonderful gift." He nudged his father, and nodded toward Orophin and Rumil, both of whom were holding now-empty pillowcases in their hands. "You can go hug Rumil, but Orophin is *mine*!" The brothers dropped their sacks and ran off, Haldir in pursuit. Haldir was quite relieved to see that there were actually far fewer elves upon the beach than he had thought – besides his own family, it appeared that only a dozen or so were also at the early morning party on the beach.

Celeborn strolled up to Galadriel, holding his feathered arms away from his body a bit. "You are very lucky, my dear, that I so love your beautiful hair, or I'd have you in the biggest bear hug right now."

"No you wouldn't. You know I'd kill you if you mangled this dress." She smiled politely. "Kinslayer," she reminded him. "I'm the kind of elleth your mother told you to watch out for."

"And I love you all the same," he replied. "Mark my words, turtledove, this isn't over yet."

"Of course not," she answered, and leaning as close as she dared, added, "You know where to find me when you've cleaned yourself up, my stallion."

Rumil ran past, looking over his shoulder, and wound his way around Celeborn with what sounded like an `eep'. Haldir was close behind and pointed across the beach with a wave of his arm. "Go hug Legolas for me, Ada, he's the one who drugged me. And Glorcheniel, too! She had a part in this!"

"There are so many reasons I am not doing any of the sort," laughed Celeborn, heading down to the water. On the way down, he met up with Orophin and Valarda, both of whom were soaking wet, and had apparently already been thanked for their part in the event.

The pair approached the hole, where now only Mirromage stood, lapping at the honey she could reach.

"All that honey, gone to waste," sighed Valarda, looking down into the hole.

"Actually," grinned Orophin, "we only used three of the barrels." Valarda quirked a brow, and Orophin grabbed hold of her hand, pulling her in the direction of the First Homely House.
Bilbo's Gift by Zhie
"Look what the north wind blew in," laughed Orophin as Haldir entered the kitchen. He nearly stuck his tongue out at his brother, until he realized that they had company and that he was not the one being referred to.

"Mithrandir!" Haldir grinned as the Istar smiled with a nod. "It has been long since you have visited, you must come by more often!"

"I do try, m'lad, but there are so many things going on in Valinor, and I cannot be in all places at once," chuckled the wizard.

"Or... can he?" Orophin gave a mischievous look about, causing Celebrian and even Elrond to laugh.

Gandalf shook his head. "Oh, now you've found me out, confound it all. It's always the ones you least expect who learn your secrets." He winked at Orophin.

"Halli, there's someone else in the parlor," smiled Celebrian. "He was asking where you were, something about returning a book to you."

Haldir stole an apple from the table and walked briskly to the parlor. He was slightly disappointed to see Bilbo Baggins where he assumed Samwise would have been. The youngest of the hobbitfolk who had come to spend their final time in Valinor had spent much time discussing various things with Haldir during his last visit to the First Homely House, simple Halfling life stories, and in return, Haldir offered to borrow a number of books that he had on Elven culture.

Bilbo was mid-sentence when Haldir entered, finding the room nearly full with the majority of the house sitting and listening. His mother was knitting while his father held the sleeping babe Tallasinde, and the rest were scattered about, lounging and paying close attention to what the adventuring hobbit had to say. Unfortunately, he had yet to entirely finish a story thus far, as his mind wandered from here to there as he went.

"...so when I saw the Arkenstone, I knew exactly what to do with it. If there is one thing an elf can't resist, it's a glimmering jewel, and one of that size was fit for a king, dare I say! And, my, was it a beauty, but I've no real care for such things. Besides, I had my own prize, that pretty little ring I'd found in the cave. Did I mention the cave and the riddles yet?" he asked.

"Yes, I think you may have, but not today," said Elladan. He and his brother were closest to the hobbit and the fire, sitting together on the floor and looking up at the Halfling on his chair. "What were the riddles again?"

"The riddles, yes. The Gollum-creature and I contested against one another in the Riddle Game. Age old tradition, that. I will admit, I did cheat, but wouldn't anyone in my place? I say, is there a bit of a draft in here?"

Haldir, being up at the time, went to the windows and drew the curtains closed to block any wisps of air that may be uninvited. Bilbo squinted, looking over his glasses. "Haldir-lad, is that you? Aye, it must be, I can tell by your height."

"Or lack of it," joked Rumil.

"Never you mind them, lad," said Bilbo, picking up a sack that was on the floor beside him. "These are from dear Sam, he said to 'Beggin' yer parden' for not returning them sooner."

Smiling, Haldir took the bag with the books. "He might have kept them longer if he liked."

"He said he has questions for you before he reads any more of them. Now, where was I..." wondered the old hobbit as Haldir slipped out the door and toward the kitchen again.

Rumil followed him out, taking his arm as they went. "Oh, his stories make me feel young again!" he said. "You missed his talk of the yule celebrations they would have in Hobbiton, and the decorated party tree, and rum cakes and mince pies, and- oh, let's have some breakfast then, shall we?" said Rumil when they entered the kitchen.

He was regarded with an amused look from his other brother at the table. "Rumil, we've already had breakfast."

"We've had one breakfast, yes. But what about second breakfast?" Amid the laughter, Rumil continued, trying to master the lazy accent of the Halflings. "Elvensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea?"

"Second breakfast, you can have, but you'll have to wait for the rest," replied Celebrian cheerfully.

"We should have a yule celebration," spoke Orophin after they were all enjoying another helping of breakfast.

There was agreement upon this, and Haldir added, "It's a winter thing, correct?" Orophin nodded. "If we started planning now, perhaps we would be ready for next year."

The room became deadly silent. Gandalf motioned for Haldir to lean a little closer and said, "If you plan to do this for Bilbo, then you should plan for this year. I didn't bring him here just to tell stories," the wizard said sadly. "I brought him here to say goodbye."

- - -

"Val! Do you still have that journal that old man gave you?" called out Orophin as his wife came to the door of their room. He was wading through the mess that littered the floor as his brothers stood a few feet from the doorway peering in.

"Journal?" questioned Haldir.

"Old man?" asked Rumil.

Valarda growled disdainfully, pushing her way past her in-laws. "He was not old."

"For a man, he was old."

"He was... distinguished."

"He was old."

"No, he was-"

"Val, they called him 'Gamling The Old'. It means, he was old!"

"You're just jealous," she huffed as she threw open the top of a chest and began to sort through it.

Orophin crossed his arms. "Well, you didn't have to kiss him!"

"This is one of those things we're better off not knowing, isn't it?" asked Rumil.

Haldir lowered his voice a bit. "Gamling was one of the men of Rohan who fought at Helm's Deep and went on to aid Gondor. I met him briefly just before the battle. When Valarda stayed to aid them, she was introduced to him. He was a little roguish, swore like she did in battle, which gave her someone to talk to. There was something at some point when they were all celebrating about her not being a lady. I don't know the context, but he was the one who said it, so she sauntered up to him, got real close, and kissed him."

"I'm so glad my wife doesn't do things like that," admitted Rumil. "And he gave her his journal?"

"No, it was sent years later after his death. He had no family, but the two of them wrote to each other. According to Orophin, some of the letters were somewhat scandalous," explained Haldir.

"Somewhat?" Orophin, who had moved to the doorway, snorted. "Try very scandalous and extremely descriptive!" he shouted towards Valarda.

"Oh, and have I ever said a thing about that wench in Bree?"

"Besides the fact you call her a wench and a hussy and a harlot, no, not a thing, darling."

"At least Gamling knew I was married," Valarda shot back, marching over with a small worn book that was barely hanging together. "That barwench thought you were single to the day she died!"

"She never asked!" Orophin took hold of the book and yanked Valarda back by the arm. "Honestly, can we really help it if we're so enticing to mortals? Really, we've done them a favor by being a part of their lives. Spiced it up a bit. How many can boast ongoing correspondence with an elf?"

Valarda pouted, but snuck a step closer. "Well, I suppose I can allow it. It's not as if we've ever done a thing ‘wrong', exactly."

"How true. We may have loose morals, but we still have morals." Orophin held out the book to Haldir and Rumil. "We'll join the two of you in the garden in just a minute-"

"Or two," said Valarda.

"Make it an hour," suggested Orophin, shoving the door closed after Rumil took possession of the book.

- - -

"I'm guessing," said Haldir as he and Rumil sat down on the bench after brushing the dusting of snow from it, "that there is something in here about yule celebrations. Although, I don't know if celebrations of men will be as close to those of hobbits."

"It's a start, though," said Rumil as he opened the book. The two sat beside each other, making out the scrawled writing on the pages.

- - -

December the Fourth

They've brought in a tree to the Great Hall. By the horse of Bema it must be a hundred feet if it's twenty. King Eomer had to have steps constructed to circle the tree so that it could be decorated. Guess who got to put the bloody baubles at the top?

"It's an honor, Gamling" is what he said. An honor to impale myself on a bloody star apparently. "You are a good friend and brave warrior" he said also. Then he handed me the damned thing to carry up around the rickety stairs and put on the top. I nearly fell. Next year I vacation to Mordor for yule.

- - -

December the Fifth

It has snowed.

- - -

December the Ninth

The menu is set for the feast. I am being made to attend. Not that I mind the feast. I mind that I will be made to mingle. Death would only be so kind to take me after the food but before the frolic.

Another letter has been sent from Valarda. I have become rather fond of reading them. Too bad her husband could slice me in two in my sleep or I'd have a thing or two to do with her. I rather think she fancies me. Elves are strange.

- - -

December the Tenth

Death could take me before the feast. I still do not know what I did to offend the fates but I am not to take part in the caroling before the feast. My explanation that I would be needed to oversee security did not fool the king. The Lady Eowyn his sister will attend with her husband of Gondor. She wishes to hear all of her good friends with their voiced raised in song according to her letter. Why am I suddenly everyone's good friend?

The cookies and cakes for the festivities were being baked today. The kitchen maids repeatedly shooed me from the hearths. I offered to taste the goods to be sure they were properly baked but was denied. Returning from patrol, I was pleased to find a plate of treats with a note to stay away from the kitchens until the harkening of the new year.

- - -

December the Twelfth

It has snowed.

- - -

December the Sixteenth

It has snowed again.

- - -

December the Seventeenth.

Grima is not yet forgotten. I was nearly hit by snowballs and found that the children have a game they play. They call it 'Grimy Grima'. They make an ugly sort of snowman and hit it with muddy snowballs from a distance. It's a rather fun game and I have found I excel at it. Even King Eomer was amused by it.

When I returned to my room I found a red velvet sack tied with green cord to the handle of my door. Inside were treats of all kinds from the distant land of Gondor and of the elf people of the valley. Lady Eowyn has arrived and gifted us with these surprises and her presence.

- - -

December the Eighteenth

It has snowed.

- - -

"Does nothing happen in Rohan when it snows?" Rumil finally blurted out.

Haldir flipped through the pages, finding a number of similar entries. "Apparently not."

Rumil nodded. "Well, it is a start. We need a tree. Cookies, gifts, decorations, a feast, and songs. That shouldn't be too difficult to do."

- - -

"To make it fair," said Haldir, "we have put all of the various duties into this sack. You will form your group of those who also pull that same duty to plan whatever you are assigned. If anyone does not wish to participate, now is the time to say so."

Not a word was said until Elrond spoke. "I think we are all in agreement that we would like to work together on this... gift for Bilbo." There was much head nodding, and Haldir passed the sack to Elrond first, who pulled a slip of rolled paper from it before passing it to the next elf. Around the room it went, each of them somewhat solemnly taking their secret assignment before handing it to the next.

The bag was returned to Haldir with one slip in it, but he didn't bother to open it and see what his task would be as he began to write down the list of what the others had been assigned to. "First off, who is on the Tree and Decorations committee?" Elrond, Valarda, and Elladan raised their hands. "Gifts and Invitations?" Celebdreth, Elrohir, and Celeborn raised theirs.

Haldir finished writing the names and then said in a worried voice, "I nearly hate to ask, but Cookies and Feast?" Orophin's hand shot in the air, and Haldir shook his head. "Better you're there than on the Singing and Games committee, lesser of two evils and all." He recorded Orophin's name along with Rumil's and Nenniach's. "That leaves... Nana... and Celebrian... and... who else is Singing and... oh, damn." Haldir reached into the bag and pulled out his slip of paper.
Snow Songs by Zhie
"Over valley, over brook In the dark of night
Almost everywhere that you look
There's a covering of white

Under mountain, under sky
Under shining star
Snowflakes fall down from high
And cover land afar"


"Stop right there," Orophin said, holding up his hands. "How many more verses are you going to sing about the snow?"

Haldir shuffled the pages he had in his hands. "Four." He scratched his right ear uneasily. "Not enough?"

"Not enough? What are you trying to do, put everyone asleep?" Orophin shook his head.

"You hate it, then," Haldir sighed, tossing the papers onto the kitchen table.

Picking them up to look them over, Orophin answered, "No, but I greatly dislike it."

"Same thing," mumbled Haldir. "I'm sorry, I'm not the world's best songwriter. And, on top of that, I am stuck with my mother and my pregnant sister, both of whom are a tad more busy than usual with things."

"Not my fault," Orophin said. "I told you, we should just let everyone choose what they wanted to do. But no, we'll pick things at random, sayeth you. Then deal with it!" Orophin dumped the sheets back onto the table. "I changed my mind. I do hate it!" he announced, and with that, left the room.

"I like it," spoke Rumil. Haldir gave him a small smile as he gathered up the discarded pages.

"But...?"

Rumil drummed his fingers on the table. "But it's too Elvish. It would be lovely for winter, just for us to sing at the fire, but what they sing for this Yule Celebration are faster, more upbeat things."

"Such as?"

Thinking back to the conversation he had had with Frodo Baggins earlier in the week, Rumil replied, "I was told that some of the favorites of Bilbo include 'A Hobbit Holiday', 'Snow Shoe Shuffle', and 'Hot Chocolate Memories'."

"No words or music for any of those, though, are there?" asked Haldir, and Rumil sadly shook his head.

"Frodo can't remember them, and Samwise was able to recall a verse here and there, but not the whole thing on any of them. Besides, like I told you, it's hobbit tradition for new songs to be written each year."

"What if we make a new Elven tradition that we just hum a little," suggested Haldir.

Rumil laughed and took the pages from Haldir. "Can't you rewrite this, make it a little more upbeat and personal?"

Haldir stared at him for a moment. "Personal?"

"Oh, you know. Like, recalling playing in the snow instead of just watching it. If it were me, I would sing about the time I built a snowelf and nearly froze my fingers off!"

"How did that happened?" Haldir asked with worry.

"I was just being silly, that was all. Let me think..." Rumil looked off at a distant point outside, focusing on the gentle waves of snow. "Something like...


"One wintry morn I went outside
To build the biggest ever snow elf
To my delight and great surprise
He turned out looking like myself

His face was cheerful with happy eyes
A chunk of carrot for his nose
Red maple leaves to make his grin wide
But sadly, he hadn't any clothes"


Rumil began to laugh in spite of himself. "Oh, was Nana ever sore with me!" he exclaimed. "By the time she made it down the stairs, I was nearly naked, in just my thin little leggings because they wouldn't fit on him!"

Grabbing a spare sheet of paper, Haldir reached for his quill. "Can you sing that again? And what's the rest of it?"

The laugher eased, and Rumil shrugged. "I don't know the rest of it, and you're supposed to write your own song."

"I can't! I tried!" Haldir put the quill down and rubbed his face with his hands. "I have nothing to sing about, apparently."

"Sure you do. What's your favorite winter memory?" asked Rumil. When Haldir blushed fiercely, Rumil rolled his eyes. "What's your favorite family oriented winter memory?"

"I don't think I have one," answered Haldir.

Snorting, Rumil rolled up his list of supplies he would need for cookie making. "I'm sure you do. Why don't you go and take a nap? You're probably just overstressing yourself." Rumil kissed the top of his brother's head before leaving the room.

- - -

Still finding his bed uncomfortable, Haldir opted to draw the shades in the parlor and nap on the couch. It was early evening when he awoke to the sounds of whispered secrets and giggles and the smell of fresh pine. When he opened his eyes, there was a bough not an inch from his face. "What the-" He swatted at the branch, causing laughter from Elrond and Elladan. Valarda lifted away the bough and winked.

"Rise and shine, Arabeleg," she teased him. "You're being evicted."

"What? When?" Haldir sat up, trying to clear his head.

"Right now," Elladan answered. "We have to move the furniture to the edges of the room and find a space for the tree."

"Why?" Haldir stood and moved away from the couch so that Elladan and Elrond could move it back against the sidewall.

Tossing the branch in a heap by the door, Valarda answered, "This room needs to have more space, to fit as many as possible. We still don't know how many we're expecting for this, and we won't know until Celebdreth and Celeborn return with the list." Celebdreth and his grandfather had decided on a trip into the cities, to visit relatives and invite those who might be interested to the celebration. Elrohir had been invited along, but did not wish to be separated from his brother, and so was elsewhere in the house planning the gift exchange.

Sleepily, Haldir meandered into the hallway, where a tree in a pot was awaiting its placement in the house. It only came up to Haldir's nose, but he suspected it was quite large for a hobbit tree. Why the tree needed to be indoors was beyond him, but Haldir accepted it, as it was nice to have a bit of nature within their home.

Lining the hallway were a few wooden crates, each with their own distinct item and scent. One of them contained holly with berries, another containing mint leaves and cinnamon sticks. The last of the boxes was small, and Haldir lifted off the cover of it, pulling out a clump of leaves with white berries, tied with deep purple ribbon. There was a bell hanging from it, and Haldir lifted it up to inspect it closer.

"If you want to make yourself useful, Arabeleg, you can-" Valarda stopped short as Haldir turned around in the hall as she approached. He was still holding onto the odd adornment as Valarda advanced and took hold of his wrist, raising it a little higher over his head. She ducked down and kissed him innocently on the lips. "Well, that was rather nice," she winked, and took the mistletoe from his hand. "Thanks for helping me test it out. Now, if you don't mind, you can carry those in here while Elrond and Elladan finish with the rugs and chairs." Valarda left a blushing Haldir to move the decorations into the parlor.

"For the next two weeks," announced Elrond as Haldir and Elladan situated the tree in the corner of the room closest to the windows, "this will be our base of operations. We will work out from this room, but do most of the preparing here. What we need to decide is-" Elrond paused. "Haldir, you're not in our group."

"Well, no," he answered, "but my group has been preoccupied with other things as of late."

Elrond nodded. "Then shouldn't you be taking care of the needs of your group instead of in here with us? We have three for decorating, that should suffice."

"Oh. Right." Haldir tried to be indifferent, but the truth was, he was rather enjoying himself. Giving the box of holly a longing look as he left, Haldir climbed the stairs to seek out the rest of his group.

- - -

"Nana?"

"Shh..." Galadriel stood up from her rocker and came to the door. "Your sister is asleep. What can I do for you?"

"Nothing much, I was only hoping we might discuss the songs we are going to sing," said Haldir.

Galadriel closed her eyes. "I'm very tired, Haldir, can it wait until tomorrow?"

"Of course, of course. I'll see if I can find Clebri."

"I think she's sleeping, too," warned Galadriel.

"Oh." Haldir nodded. "Well, we can all perhaps get together tomorrow, then."

Nodding, Galadriel smiled. "Tomorrow sounds like a good idea. Good night," she said before he had a chance to answer, and she shut the bedroom door.
Luck of the Draw by Zhie
"What's that?" asked Haldir as he crumbled up another sheet of paper.

"What's what? This?" Elrohir held up the scroll he had just rolled up. "This is the guest list."

Haldir held out a hand, and Elrohir, instead of giving it to him, unrolled it again and read in a rather impressive and regal sounding voice, "His Royal Highness, the former King of Mirkwood and present King of the Kastle Thranduil Oropherion. His most distinguished son, Prince Legolas. The Master of Bag End and Elf-friend, the noted adventurer Mister Bilbo Baggins. Ringbearer and honored Hobbit, Mister Frodo Baggins. The former Mayor of the Shire, the renowned Samwise Gamgee. The lovely and talented Glorcheniel of Western Valimar. Bard of the Court of Lord Elrond and Lady Celebrian, the Minstrel Lindir. Lord Gildor Inglorion, nephew to the Lady Galadriel. And then some old man who calls himself Gandalf, very strange sort of fellow, that one," winked Elrohir, rerolling his scroll.

Waiting patiently for a few moments, Haldir furrowed his brow. "That's it?"

"As far as I am aware. Is something wrong?" Elrohir asked as Haldir slumped over on the hallway desk with a sigh.

"No, nothing at all, I rather like to just sprawl across the top of desks, very comfortable, that," Haldir retorted. Elrohir hopped up on the edge of the desk and tapped gently on his uncle's head with one finger.

When Haldir looked up, Elrohir said, "From what I was told, they asked a lot of others to join us, but either they did not know Mr. Baggins, or they did not know what they would do at such a celebration. Some of them did not at all understand why we would want to celebrate a Hobbit holiday when we have perfectly good ones of our own."

"Easy for you to say," Haldir told his nephew. "You're not the one who has to sing. And in front of a minstrel." Haldir's head went back down to the desktop.

"What happened to Nana and Gran'nana?" questioned Elrohir.

Haldir shook his head. "It has been three days now of sleeping and resting and generally ignoring me. They do not plan to sing, but I know Bilbo will be disappointed not to hear any songs."

Pulling on Haldir's shoulder, Elrohir said, "I know of someone who will sing with you if you just go and ask him. He's really not having any fun with Celebdreth and I, not really." Haldir sat up and shrugged. "Fine, don't ask him, then. Here, as long as I have you here," he said, pulling a folded sheet out of his pocket, "pick a number from one to twenty-one."

"Thirteen."

"Mmm, that's already taken, pick again."

"Fourteen."

"Mmm, that's taken, too."

Haldir gave a little snort and said, "Well, just give me whichever one is closest."

"To what?" questioned Elrohir.

"To the ones I picked," Haldir said in an unamused voice.

"Yes, but that's either twelve or fifteen, so-"

"Twelve, I'll take twelve. Why am I taking twelve?" he asked.

"This is for the gift exchange," Elrohir explained, making a notation on the paper. "Congratulations. You picked my father."

"No..." Haldir once more was bowed over the desk. "What did I do to deserve this?"

Elrohir patted Haldir's head. "Sorry. I'm sure it won't be that bad," he offered before walking away in a most apologetic manner.

- - -

After about five minutes, Haldir decided that the desk was not the best place to fall asleep if he wanted to keep his neck from being as sore as his back. After another five minutes of attempting to rewrite the song, he growled in frustration and pounded his fist on the top of the desk before bowing his head to his hand. "This is impossible," he remarked as Orophin stepped into the hallway from the kitchen, carrying a plate of cookies.

"Are you still pondering over the song?" he asked.

"Why you would care-"

"Halli, look." Orophin put the plate down on the desk. "It was a lovely poem, but it doesn't fit. I would help if I could, but I couldn't write a song much less carry a decent tune. I thought I was trying to help, and it seemed like you were getting upset with me for it."

"I'm sorry," said Haldir. "I just see the rest of you having fun, and this has turned into such a chore for me."

Orophin crouched down and hugged Haldir. "I know. Here, have a cookie. We baked this batch for you." He pushed the plate closer to Haldir, who now took note of the bunny-shaped cookies with violet frosting and little candy eyes and noses smiling up at him with big pink frosting smiles.

He smiled back. "I can't eat these," he said, picking one up.

"They're strawberry flavored, and we can make more," assured Orophin.

"In that case-" Haldir bit off a cookie bunny ear as the large bell that hung at the door rang. "Who's that?" he asked as Orophin grinned widely.

"Just a friend or two," he said as he walked to the door. Opening it, he revealed that indeed there was a pair standing at the door, though Haldir had to look down a little bit to see that there were two standing there.

"How unexpected, I did not know anyone was going to arrive already," said Haldir as he stood up. Legolas brushed the snowflakes from his hair and smiled before stepping inside and embracing Haldir. "Pleasantly unexpected," he added.

"I promised to come as soon as I could to help with the baking," Legolas told Haldir. "And, to see you, of course," he added, hugging Haldir again.

"Legolas!" Rumil poked his head out of the kitchen doorway and motioned for Legolas to enter. "We're just getting to the chocolate cherry cordial cookies."

With a bright smile, Legolas gave a nod before turning his attention back to Haldir. "I hope you won't mind me assisting them. Someone has to be sure that all of the rum cake doesn't get eaten before the celebration."

"I look forward to spending time with you later," answered Haldir. Legolas was hastily whisked away to the kitchen after Orophin had closed the front door again, leaving Haldir with Gimli in the hallway.

"Ah don't suppose you've got ennathing at all for me to help with." It was more of a statement, but Haldir took it to be a question.

"I have to write a song. Some of us will be providing entertainment, singing songs, and we need at least one Yuletide carol. I'm not having much luck, though," Haldir admitted.

Gimli took a look around at the discarded papers that littered the floor and desk. "What sort of song are you trying to write, laddie?"

"A holiday song, I suppose."

"Fa-la-lally-la, and all of that nonsense?" asked Gimli. "Pah."

"A shared sentiment," Haldir assured his stout friend.

The Dwarf walked back to the door where Legolas had set a small pack of things and brought forth from it a wide bottle of spirits. "Thranduil sent a bottle of brandy along," he said very softly. "I think we should go to the porch and try it out."

"Getting drunk won't help me write the song," Haldir told him.

"No, but it'll help you forget that you have one to write."

Tempted as he was, Haldir declined. "But I may take you up on that later."

"Well, then." Gimli replaced the bottle and looked around. "It's no wonder yer havin' a hard time. This is the most dreary room in the entire house, if you can call it that. Come on, let's go to the parlor by the fire."

"No, I can't do that," Haldir said quickly. "The Decoration Committee does not want anyone in either of the sitting rooms until they day of the celebration. The kitchen is off limits for obvious reasons. I can't go to the third floor because that is where Celebrian is sleeping, nor the second, for Nana and the baby are there. So I am here." He spread out his hands toward the desk. "Unless you have a better idea."

Gimli looked around, puffing his cheeks as he thought. Finally, he said, "The stable."

"You think I should write songs in the barn? With the pigs and the goats?"

"Why not?" Gimli slid the bottle out of the sack again. "At least you'll be more comfortable. You'd be surprised at how cozy a barn can be."

- - -

"I'm just going to write about the goats," Haldir said lazily. He was on his belly, with his hands propping up his chin, on a stack of hay. "I'll name them all and sing songs about them. That one can be Prancer... and that one can be Bashful... I think I'll call her Winkie. Don't know why," he yawned.

Gimli took one good look at Haldir before removing the bottle from his grasp. "You know, master elf," he said, taking a swig from the bottle, "you have a very low tolerance."

Smiling, Haldir pulled a long shaft from a nearby bale and started to chew on the straw. "Thank you. I think I get that from my mother's side."

"I'm not sure about your goat idea, but what other animals are traditional for Yuletide?"

Haldir flipped over onto his back and stared up into the rafters, chewing on the hay. "Snowthings, Snow hobbits, snowmen, those are, and holly, and decorated trees." He titled his head to the side to see Gimli doubled over and almost laugh himself off of the bucket he was sitting on. "What's so funny?"

"Animals. What are the traditional animals?"

Staring blankly for a moment, Haldir scratched his head. "Animals. Right, animals." He went back to staring at the ceiling in silence. "I have to find a gift for Elrond," he finally said.

"Beg your pardon?"

"For Elrond. A gift. I pulled his name. There's always been tension between us, and I really, honestly, don't know him all that well."

"He's your brother-in-law, why not ask your sister for advice?" suggested Gimli.

This seemed to be a good idea, but Haldir shook his head sleepily. "No, I'm supposed to come up with something on my own. And I want to. I just wish sometimes that I knew him better," he said, closing his eyes and yawning again.

"I understand completely. I don't know the one whose name I picked very well, either." Gimli waited until he was sure that Haldir had fallen asleep before adding, "But, I think I'm getting to know you better than you know yourself."
Unfinished Business by Zhie
"Should we ask what you're doing?" Elrohir walked up to the big comfortable chair and crossed his arms. "Or is it better to just walk away?"

"Orophin suggested," began Haldir, "that if I stand on my head, perhaps all of the knowledge would filter down somehow and gather up there and I would end up being able to write something."

Peering up over his book, Orophin said, "I can't believe he actually did it."

"I'm running out of ideas," Haldir admitted. "I tried writing it on my own, with Gimli, with Legolas, out in the garden, on the porch- I just have nothing to sing about." He wiggled his toes, which were up at the top of the chair. "I think my feet have fallen asleep."

"How long have you been doing this?" asked Elladan. There was a wrapped package under his arm that Haldir suddenly noticed.

"Is that what I think it is?" Haldir sat up abruptly, then regretted that he did so. He leaned back on the chair, holding the side of his head. "For over an hour... Orophin, why do I listen to you?"

Closing his book and propping his chin upon his hand, he answered, "Because you're desperate and you love me."

"Perhaps this will cheer you," offered Elladan, handing the package to Haldir. "We did the best we could, considering the time that we had."

Orophin snorted. "You got them to make the gift you're giving for you?"

"Not exactly. I wanted to give something to someone else besides whose name I pulled, but it's not something I could make. The more I've been thinking of it, I'm practically useless. I can't make a thing, not really. I can do a thing here or there, but nothing to perfection. I can poke a needle through fabric, but I could never make anything like this," he said, regarding the package. "I've thrown a few awkward looking pots, but your father has made some of the most amazing vases. Even you, Orophin. I can fletch an arrow, but you take knife to wood and extraordinary things happen. Rumil and Adar are the artists, Nenniach is the writer, Nana can cook anything without a recipe. Celebrian, the seamstress, Celebdreth, the sculptor. What am I?"

"You are Haldir, and we love you just the way you are." It was Rumil who said this, entering during the rambling. He stepped behind the chair and kissed Haldir's head. When that did not eliminate the frown on his brother's face, Rumil bent back again and made noises akin to a chattering squirrel near to Haldir's shoulder.

"What was that?" laughed Elladan as Haldir smiled and reached an arm around to hug Rumil.

"That's my little orc. I called him that sometimes when he was annoying me, and he would then come and pretend to chew on me, because Adar told him to stay away from orcs because they ate little elves." Haldir thought about the memory fondly. "Thank you for that, Rumil, but I am still at a loss for this song. And the gift."

"You don't have a gift yet?" Rumil was still behind Haldir leaning over the chair, arms wrapped around his brother's shoulders. "I could help you make something or find something."

"I really want to do this on my own, but thank you. I suppose I had best find somewhere to work." He detangled himself from Rumil and left the room, taking the package up to his own suite. Giving the parcel a pat after setting it on the bed, he went to the desk and set it up for writing. For the next few minutes, he stared at the blank page. "Maybe this whole thing was a bad idea," he mumbled, tapping the quill against the desktop.

Giving up again, at least momentarily he left the room, taking his flute with him. It was to the familiar log that he went, seating himself to face the sea, and he began to play. The cold air coming off of the water blew his hair back behind him, waving like silvery tinsel on the breeze. He continued to play as the clouds began to billow above, harkening the oncoming snowstorms.

Among the clouds, a spec of peach and black came into view, quickly becoming more and more pink as it came closer. Haldir rested his flute as Mitzi landed in the water, skimming the surface before she came to a stop. She bathed, shivered a moment, and then came to the shore, shaking the water off like the family dog would.

"And again, you've returned, Mitzi-girl. I wonder where it is you go sometimes," mused Haldir as the sea bird hopped up onto his lap. He smoothed back the feathers that had ruffled in the sharp wind. "You probably have a fascinating life somewhere else. Maybe a family just as odd as we are, or completely the opposite. Or a nest, I wouldn't be surprised if you were the mother to an entire flock of flamingos and kept coming here to keep your sanity. Perhaps someday you will tell us," he said, but he didn't appear all too convinced such a thing would happen.

That is why Mitzi took it upon herself to hop from his lap and tug on the sleeve of his shirt.

"I am not going to swim with you," said Haldir. "It is much, much too cold."

Making a grumbling noise, Mitzi took flight, but only briefly, before turning back to see if Haldir was watching. She landed and grumbled again, to walk back and tug on his sleeve.

"You want to show me something?" More tugging. "You don't want to go swimming." Squawking and hissing. "Is it far?" A very sharp tug. Haldir looked around to be sure no one was around to hear the conversation he seemed to be having with himself. "Let me get the horse," he answered, leaving Mitzi to preen while he went to the barn.

"I can't believe I'm talking to a flamingo," he muttered as he tossed the blanket hastily over the back of the only horse they actually owned. Fool of a Took was his name, given to them by Gandalf, and it was well-earned for all of his wandering. He was an odd sort of horse, but he did the plowing for the extra carrots he would get. Anything else was done strictly for bribes, and Haldir was glad to find some sugar candies in his pocket.

"It's not as if she even knows what I'm saying. I'm probably hallucinating, but I don't particularly care. I have a song to write and a gift to find, so I'm not very sure why it is that I'm following her." He held out a piece of the hard crystalline candy to Fool, who was giving him a look as if to say, 'Sure, but now you're talking to a horse.'

It was to the cottage that his parents had built when they were reunited in Valinor that he was taken, he riding Fool while following Mitzi's path as she flew. It had not been used in over a year now, but it seemed as if things were in good order. There had been no damage from weather or from animals, save the few cobwebs he found when he and Mitzi entered. The flamingo took a moment to preen again before leading Haldir up the stairs, stretching her long legs to reach each consecutive step.

She took him into the master bedroom, a cozy place with a comfortable looking bed and windowed doors that led to a porch. Giving a peck at the glass, she looked up to Haldir for assistance.

"Well, I don't know what you're going to show me all the way up here, but-" Haldir froze as he stepped out onto the porch. It was small, but it faced West, South, and North. They were high above most everything, being that the cottage was built on a cliff. In fact, they were high above most things in Valinor.

"That's why they built up here," he realized, looking around in the stillness of the late day. From here he saw many of the residences that were on the way to the greater cities, and the forests of the Valar and their halls. He took note of a smaller forest, and an ornate structure that was built by it. "There's Thranduil's Kastle... and over there, Oropher's Palace," he noted in the distance. "And... what's that?"

His gaze settled upon a tall white tower that loomed in the distance. He was so struck to see such beauty that he had to hold the railing for support. "Is that what you brought me to see?" he asked. Haldir looked at Mitzi. The bird was perched on the rail, and made no sound nor noise. Her eyes were set on the tower, staring at it with great longing. "That's your home, isn't it? Why don't you go there? You are able to go there, aren't you?" he asked with sudden worry. Mitzi blinked and looked up at him suddenly before nuzzling her head against his hand reassuringly. "Why aren't you there, then? Why stay here?"

Mitzi looked back to the white tower. It was brilliant in the night, rising up, trying to touch the sky. The clouds separated it from the heavens, and Haldir wondered if one could stand atop it and touch the stars. Something suddenly came to him, recognition from a book he once read, but before he could say anything more, something happened.

Out of the window of the tower, a large, glimmering bird flew, her white wings beating the air slowly but with little effort. She climbed up, higher and higher, before she disappeared up above the clouds.

- - -

Haldir was now in the main room of cottage, which was a very open sort of house. The sitting room contained a fireplace and chairs with throws, many furs covering the floor. After starting a fire, Haldir had gone to the kitchen, which was joined to the hallway between it and the sitting room, with no real walls in between. There he scavenged for anything that might have been left behind that was still edible. Nuts and dried fruit he found in the cupboard and tea also. Outside he collected snow in a kettle to be boiled, and brought Fool into the house. Inconvenient as it may have seemed, the wind was picking up and Haldir needed to wait for Mitzi to return.

"I still don't have a song," complained Haldir as he sipped his tea and watched the fire. A few things had been pushed aside so that Fool could sit with him in the room, and the horse gave him a look in which he tried to convey, 'Look, I'm a horse who just found out that there's something I can sleep on instead of nasty hay or dirt, don't look at me for song help, I'm going to take a nap'.

As the wind continued to rattle the panes, Haldir left Fool to sleep as he explored the rest of the cottage. The rooms seemed to have been put back into order before his parents' departure from them, and all but the barest necessities had been cleared out. The bedrooms contained just the furniture, and meager coverings on the beds. In the closets, there was a quiet emptiness, little more than rooms with shelves. The only place that looked untouched was the attic, which had been turned into a sort of study.

There was a glorious desk that looked as if it had been barely used, and numerous shelves lining the walls. There were some books, and small trinkets placed about. A painting on one wall was of Gondolin he was sure, even in this light, and Rivendell upon the opposite. Only one thing seemed out of place - a note on the desk which read:


E -

I know this does not make up for the pain and grief I caused you, but happiness is yours and was not mine to give. Know that I still do love you, and will forever. Your friend and admirer,

- A


Haldir set the note back down on the desk, unsure of what it meant or who it was for, but it was not a mystery he had time to dwell upon. He assumed that, given the state of the room, he would find parchment somewhere, and he did in the drawers of the desk. Many colors and textures were available and fine pens for writing and drawing as well. Carefully, he selected what appeared to be a very plain sort of implement and a few sheets of average looking parchment.

Then, the void he had been in came upon him once more. His head could not conjure anything that sounded remotely like a carol suitable for singing, let alone one that could be sung in public while sober. Haldir began to look through the books on the shelves, trying once more to clear his mind, when he happened upon something that looked as if it should have been brought along when he parents moved out.

"The Days and Lives of the Kin of Feanor, a publication of the House of the Silver Stars," Haldir read to himself, opening the book. He gasped when he made out the notations at the inside margins. It was not only an original copy, it had been left unfinished, stopping barely twenty years before the Kinslaying at Alqualonde. "You've made it quite a long way in time, little book," he said, setting it reverently back onto the shelf.

There were others, histories and books of poetry, all in the same hand, meticulously neat. There were sketches in many of them as well, and sometimes notes that were folded and placed between certain pages that listed revisions. And there was a box.

It seemed like an ordinary box, but Haldir felt compelled to open the little thing. Inside were scraps of paper, but not written in the hand of the author who had penned but not completed the books here. It was also newer than the books, the paper was crisper, and was not the Valinorin parchment. It was mixed, of Lorien, or Lindon, some from the Havens, Mirkwood, Gondor, Rohan, and so much of it from Imladris.

That was what was written on the first card. Imladris. Or more accurately, the word Karningul was written and scratched out, and beneath it Imladris was scribbled. Each subsequent card had a date, a title, and an event. On the back, if there were any little details, they were written down. Some were important, some not so much, and a few were just plain silly. For example, the card from the second age that declared 'Hired new boarder guard' had the message 'Glorfindel- N/V. Claims was from Gondolin, killed, reborn. Killed balrog(s)? Peculiar, always seems happy. Only here four days, annoying already. Possible transfer to Lothlorien. Walks noisily.'

There was a card for each person that he met, and for every major thing that occurred. Haldir laughed when he discovered one for his mother (She looks at me as if she knows what I am thinking before I think it. Must avoid trips to Lothlorien.), stuck his tongue out when he found his own (Impudent does not begin to describe this one. I swear he is my bane. At least he has a keen intellect.), and cried when he found it, that one, the one he knew was there somewhere, with the stains of tears and time (I have never hated anything, and once I pitied them, but now I hate them and Melkor for their creation. If tracking down every last one and splitting them open to rip out their blackened souls would bring her back to me, this I would do with my own two hands.)

Haldir began to note the ones that related to family members, the happier ones and the funny ones. Elrond's marriage to Celebrian. Elladan and Elrohir coming of age. Arwen's birth. There was a card, the last of them in the box. There was no date, and no event, only a name. Eldarion. On the back was this:

'Arwen asked today what I would name her child. I am leaving in a month's time and will not see the babe born. She knows it is a boy, an heir to Estel. My heart is torn between two that I love, but I cannot delay and she knows this. At least I was able to say a proper farewell to my unborn grandson, little Eldarion.'

There was a stack of clean, blank books on the desktop, and after drying his eyes, Haldir opened one and began to work. Between copying the notes into the book, he would shift back to the loose sheets he had pulled earlier, writing down the bits and pieces of something that he wasn't sure of yet.

Morning came, and with it, tapping on the tiny attic window. Haldir crouched down to open it and let Mitzi in. Mitzi shook herself off away from the books and looked up apologetically. Haldir's shoulders slumped and he nodded. "Well, you tried, and I thank you for that."

Squawking, Mitzi offered one look leg up. There was something tied to it, a white cloth that was wrapped around something. Haldir loosened the ribbons, and the cloth fell open. He smiled at what it revealed. "Perhaps the Yule Celebration wasn't such a bad idea after all."
To Give and To Receive by Zhie
“Come here. Closer. Just a little closer. Closer. Yes, good.” Orophin was silent for a moment before suddenly whacking Haldir on the head with something small but solid. “Don’t do that again or I’ll kill you!”

“Ow, dammit, give me that.” Haldir grabbed a few times at his flute before successfully pulling it away from Orophin.

Orophin fumed, crossing his arms over his chest. “We worried that you were washed out to sea or something. Do you know how nerve-wracking that was? You dolt! Why didn’t you tell anyone you were leaving? It wasn’t until Adar noticed the horse was gone that we realized you must have been alright, but really, Haldir!”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know where I was going,” he apologized, leading Fool of a Took into the stable. The horse snorted distastefully as he was shut back in his stall, kicking at the straw there.

“You still could have said you were going somewhere. Rumil’s in there thinking you ran away, you’d better go and let him know you’re fine. Everyone else is in there as well,” added Orophin. “That’s how we knew you couldn’t have gone far, because they’d not seen you on the road last night when they came in.”

Haldir stopped short of the door to the outside. “Why were you out here?”

Shifting his weight and leaning on the side of the stall, he shrugged. “Because I love you, you dolt, and I would have been terribly upset had anything happened to you. Now give me a hug and then go inside so everyone can see that you are alive and well and just a moron sometimes.”

With a smile, Haldir spread his arms open and Orophin jumped over and nearly knocked him to the ground. “No more stupid things, right? At least no more for today.”

“What a noble compromise. Unfortunately, I still have to sing this evening, don’t I?” Haldir held up a black sack he had found at the cottage as they began to walk to the house. “I have a song, I have a gift, I am ready. Where is the celebration?”

Orophin opened the door to the house, and the noise, light, smells, and warmth drew them both in. On the stairs was Lindir, playing his lute, and he gave a nod to them as they entered. Gildor was sitting on the top of the hallway desk speaking rather cheerfully with Samwise, who was on a bench in the hall smoking his pipe. They waved as Haldir made his way down the hall to the closet, depositing the red cloak trimmed with white fur that he had luckily found at the cottage. The sack he kept with him, and found his father and Thranduil speaking in the kitchen while Nenniach tended to something that smelled good in a large pot.

“Haldir, there you are! Thranduil was asking for you.” Nenniach waved a towel in the direction of the pair speaking at the window seat.

Haldir bowed in greeting to the seated elves, and then said, “Excuse me, but I have a favor to ask of you, Adar.”

“How appropriate,” said Celeborn. “Thranduil has a favor to ask of you.”

- - -

“Alright, quiet down everyone, Mr. Baggins is going to explain how this works,” announced Elrond. “He will choose the first person who will give their gift, and they will do so, and then that person gives their gift, and so on.”

Bilbo chuckled from the seat that had been fixed for him near to the fire. “I think you just explained it rather well, Elrond.”

“Will you be wanting some fresh coffee to help keep you from resting yer eyes, Mr. Bilbo?” asked Samwise, sitting attentively to Bilbo’s left. The old hobbit smiled and shook his head.

“I’ve been promised good, old-fashioned Hobbiton cheer in the form of a song, and I’m looking forward to it.” After a moment, he added, “But I’ll take a mug of coffee for the taste. As for a leader to start,” Bilbo said, peering around over his glasses, “I think I shall choose my old friend Thranduil.”

The feasting had been long over, and now there was only the presents before the merriment could take place. Everyone had been instructed to bring a gift for Bilbo, being the guest of honor, and the rest had their packages near to them for whomever they had chosen. Thranduil stood up and took the wrapped bundle from the floor, surveying the room as if he didn’t quite know where he was going to, but after the second time looking around, his smile betrayed him, and he held out the package to Galadriel.

Cautiously, she handed Tallasinde to Rumil who was sitting beside her and unwrapped the hand-dyed paper from it carefully. Within she found a large cloth bag, and within, two more packages. The bag was dark blue, but on the outside, there were prints from two little hands and two little feet in some sort of thick paint that had been soaked into the bag. Tallasinde’s name was beneath it.

“When did you do this?” she asked, tracing her fingers around the tiny impressions.

“Your husband was a great help to me with that. I sent him with the cloth and he managed to get it back to me after he stamped the images,” explained Thranduil as Galadriel pulled the wrapping from the smaller item inside. She held it up and observed it from a number of angles. “This is... a, ah, very nice...”

“That’s from Avisiel, and I’ll be damned if I know what to call is, either,” he laughed. “It’s obviously for the baby, when she starts crawling, you just put her into it and fasten the back of it, and then she won’t be able to get anything on her hands and feet to stick into her mouth. We had one for Legolas,” he added of the armless and legless garment. “That elfling tried to get into everything and once stuck both feet in his mouth at once.”

“Adar,” came a rather dry and embarrassed voice, “I’m right here.”

“Well, good that you should be reminded of it, it’s likely a family trait you’ll pass on to your children,” he answered as the third package was opened and a cascade of wooden blocks tumbled to the floor. “Sorry, I should have warned you,” he apologized, gathering up the blocks. “I just... you probably don’t remember, but-“

“This was our favorite toy, you and I and Thel,” she smiled, thinking back. “You used to knock down everything I built.”

“Only when you didn’t first,” he reminded her. He coughed and then said in a low voice, “Turn the bag over.” Galadriel gasped when she did and tears came to her eyes. “I know this little one is going to be taking up a lot of your time,” he said, stacking the blocks next to her chair, “but I wanted you to have a way to remember your other four babies.”

Swallowing back her emotion and wiping her eyes with one hand, she held up the bag. There were four other handprints on it, each of them with a name beneath and in a different color. “You were all set on getting your mother to cry, weren’t you?” she said, and gave a little laugh when everyone smiled. “Oh, you were all in on this, you wonderful, naughty children.” She looked up at Thranduil and took hold of his hand, giving it a squeeze. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He bent down to hug her and said, “We can go back to hating each other tomorrow, alright?” She nodded against his shoulder with a smile before she gave him a chaste kiss. Thranduil patted her hand and then went back to his seat beside his still brooding son.

Galadriel placed the bag beside her chair along with the other presents and then picked up a package and walked with it to the doorway. She looked up at the cluster of leaves and berries above, positioning herself just so before looking back into the room at the group. “Gimli?”

“Yes, m’lady?” When he saw that she didn’t move, but instead only smiled, he blushed and stood up out of his seat and walked to the doorway. “Aye.”

Leaning gracefully over, she held out the gift as she kissed the dwarf softly on the lips. “Happy Yuletide,” she said as she stood back up.

Gimli flushed furiously, and it was a few moments before he remembered the package and opened it. Inside was a knitted blanket, with Dwarven runes proclaiming some sort of verse along one side.

“I had hoped to make it bigger, but I ran out of time,” Galadriel said.

“Ah, but it’s a fine size for me, m’lady,” he assured her. “I cannot thank you enough for such a wonderful gift. I shall treasure it always,” he promised. He stood admiring his present for a minute more, until he realized that Galadriel had gone back to her seat and that he was being waited on. “Well, I should set about continuing, then, shouldn’t I,” he mumbled to himself, and walked back to pick up a small wooden box.

He took a deep breath and walked to Haldir. “I won’t ask you to stand where I just was,” he assured the elf, causing everyone to laugh. “I hope it’s not something you already have, but I never saw you with one, and I know your brothers had them.”

Haldir took the box and untied the ribbon wrapped around it. Orophin and Rumil were both peering over with great interest, while Celebrian seemed to know what was within, and sat back with a smug smile. He lifted the cover, and the firelight shined off of what was in the box. “You know why I never had one, don’t you?” he asked, lifting the item with great care from the box.

“Some silly thing about you giving up your rights to the title in Lothlorien,” Gimli said. “But when I asked your sister for ideas, she told me about your hero, and when I saw a picture, I got to work.”

“What is it?” questioned Celebdreth, trying to see it from across the room.

Taking a deep breath, Haldir lifted it from the box. “It’s a crown like Gil-Galad’s.” He looked with caution to Elrond, who nodded upon seeing it held up.

“I found the pattern for it. I was honestly surprised that it was still around all these years later.”

“You should put it on,” insisted Legolas, who stood up and went to Haldir, taking the crown from his hands. Legolas slid it on over the back of Haldir’s head, resting on his ears. “Perfect fit,” he said, perching on the arm of Haldir’s chair.

“Fit for a king,” remarked Thranduil with a smirk.

Haldir smiled. “Thank you, Gimli,” he said. Out from under his chair he pulled the sack. “I regret that my wrapping was done a bit hastily.” The song was no longer in it, given to Lindir so that he might think of musical accompaniment for it, and the sack was handed to Elrond. “Happy Yuletide.”

Elrond was more than thrilled with the book, going so far as to stand up to hug Haldir after he had paged through it. The rest of the gifts were all just as lovely, and Bilbo unexpectedly stayed away for the entire exchange. As another log was put on the fire, Haldir looked over to his father and Lindir hesitantly, and received nods from them as he stood up.

“Family... friends... Mitzi...” he said, regarding the pink flamingo resting on the back of the couch, “A song for your enjoyment this evening, before, I am told, Master Samwise will lead us in carols of old.”

“I shall try,” spoke Sam.

Haldir and Celeborn stood at the fire with Lindir who waited for their cue to start. Haldir took a deep breath and gave a nod. He had only given his father the introduction and chorus lyrics, and hoped he did not think the song silly.

While in the cottage, he had the time to clear his thoughts, and think back to a time far in the past when he was young and when they had the time to do things as a family. The memories he had reminded him of the Yuletide they had planned now, and he did his best to incorporate his memories into a song. Together, as Lindir strummed his chords lightly, the pair sang:


The bells on the sleigh bring me back to the days
When life was so simple and so fair
Everyone on the street greeted everyone they would meet
Children played in the snow without care

Oh, how I long for those days
I hold on for those days
I belong to those days of old

In my mind it all stays
You will find it all stays
Left behind it all stays in tales told


And now, after a short interlude by Lindir, it was Haldir who sang alone. His voice was nervous at first, but somehow the fact that he was surrounded by friends and family, and that they were all listening intently with smiles on their faces brought him relief as he continued:


I was a lad, just an itty bitty boy
When I sat upon my father’s knee
And he told me tales until dark
About life, and love, and history

That very same year with my mother
As I stood upon a kitchen chair
We made cookies, told secrets and laughed
At jokes – I got frosting in my hair

Up the stairs was older sis
Wrapping gifts and tying each with a bow
She was dreaming like me about winter fun
But her dreams included mistletoe


There was laughter and many of the couples were snuggling against each other as they listened to the heartwarming song. Galadriel was shaking her head, reminiscing on just how one removes frosting from an energetic four-year-old elflings curls, and Celeborn was no longer looking at the crowded room, but at his son as they sang the chorus:


Oh, how I long, how I long for those days
I belong to those days of old

In my mind, oh, in my mind it all stays
Left behind it all stays in stories told


Haldir wandered over to Orophin as Lindir played. Orophin gave him his signature 'can I.. help you?' look as Haldir sat down on the arm of the couch and put his arm around his younger brother, and sang:


That next year my little brother came along
I waited patiently for him to grow
So I could build a giant fort with him
And teach him all the wonders of snow

We would chase each other until we fell
Then spread our arms like wings
Stay outside until half past dark
Listening to the wind whistle as it sings

Nana brought us in for warm apple cider
Dad would take us out on the sled
He’d pull us through the trees 'til we fell asleep
Then he’d carry us up the stairs to bed


"You're going to make me cry, you idiot," whispered Orophin, but it was loud enough for everyone to hear. "And then, I'll have to hit you with that flute again."

Haldir simply smiled and kissed Orophin's head before joining his father at the fire again for the chorus. Then, he went to the youngest brother, leaning over the other sofa to sing to him:


Once a year, we’d all bundle up
Mittens, coats, scarves, boots, and gloves
Dad would help us into the four-horse sleigh
And it’s something I know he still loves

But that year, another blessing came along
It was out little brother number three
Ma was tired, so Pa took the baby
And then he handed the reigns to me

The biggest thrill I ever did get
Was getting to drive that sleigh
Even now when I hear those ringing bells
My mind wanders back,

All the way back,

Back to those wonderful winter days


"That was lovely, Haldir," spoke Galadriel after Lindir ended the song. Celeborn walked over to Haldir and put an arm around his shoulder.

"It is very well-written, ion-nin."

Haldir smiled at the compliment and embraced his father, and then went to his mother and hugged her, and looking down at Tallasinde said, "Some day, I shall have another verse about you, as well." Then he went to Celebrian. "Sorry, I would have started by you, but I was.. practically scared to death!" The whole room burst into laughter and clapping, and at the front of the room Bilbo laughed the loudest.

"Oh, Gandalf, you ask me why I like them all so much, compared to all the other elves," he said to the wizard who was in the corner, a half-smirk on his face. "Well, I know for a fact now why it is. All of them look like elves, and move like them, but I'd wager there's a hobbit soul trapped in every single one of them!"

"Well, Eru bless us all for that!" exclaimed Celebdreth, and the laughter rose up once more.

As Celebrian sat back down, Haldir leaned over to Elrond and said, "There is something else I have for you. May I have a moment with you in the hall?"

Elrond gave a nod and followed Haldir into the hallway, near to the front door, leaving the others far off in the parlor. After looking to be sure they weren't followed, Haldir pulled a folded piece of bright white cloth from his tunic. "This isn't really from me," he said. "It's from... someone, well, two someones who love you very much. I wanted to have them here for you, but Mitzi- do you know where Mitzi comes from?" he asked. Elrond, looking confused, shook his head. "Well, I wanted to have them here for you, but all she was able to bring back was this." He handed the cloth to Elrond.

Carefully, Elrond unfolded the thick cloth. "What is this? This isn't any fabric I am familiar with."

"It's a piece of sail," Haldir informed him.

"From what?" Elrond wondered, finding a white feather at the center.

Hesitating for a moment, when Elrond's eyes met his, Haldir replied, "From the Vingelot."

"Oh my." Elrond looked down and lifted the feather in one shaky hand, tears in his eyes quickly forming and hanging on the edge of spilling over. "And this? This is..."

"They wanted to be here, I am certain of it. But..." Haldir hung his head. "I am sorry. This might sound strange, but I almost know what it is like to, well, to have parents but not have them. It's not the same now, but, I understand how painful it is."

Wrapping the feather back in the white cloth, Elrond clutched the gift to his breast with one hand and with the other embraced Haldir. "I know you do. Thank you."

"I didn't do the hard part, that was poor Mitzi, flying back and forth over the storm last night. I just spent the evening with a spoiled horse," admitted Haldir ruefully.

Elrond laughed as he pulled away, both hands on the sail wrapped feather. "My thanks to you regardless. I should put this somewhere safe," he said suddenly, "for to me it is dearer than the three rings, the silmarils, and all of the palantiri combined." He turned and walked up the stairs swiftly. Haldir smiled as Elrond disappeared out of sight.

"You know," came a gruff voice, "I think sometimes that the two of you just disagree for the sake of it, and not because you really want to. In fact," continued Gimli as he came closer to where Haldir stood, "I might even wager that you don't think he's half bad."

"Eh." Haldir tried to look indifferent, but he was still smiling. "He's my brother, what else can I do but tolerate him?" He continued to watch the stairs for a few seconds before something dawned on him. "Oh! Wait right here," he directed, and headed up the steps.

In his room, right where he had left it, was the package that the twins had presented him with, and Haldir raced back down to the first floor, finding Gimli right where he had left him. "I didn't make it," he explained. "Elladan and Elrohir did, but you can be sore with me if you don't like it, because the idea was all mine."

Gimli held the package for a short while, first feeling it, and then shaking it for a clue to what it contained. Finally, he tore just a little corner open, and then a little more, and a bit more, until-

"Rocks!" shouted the Dwarf as Rumil came from the parlor.

"Haldir! Did you give him coal? That is just not nice," scolded the elf.

Gimli chuckled and lifted up the stuffed reindeer by the back of his neck. "I'll have to tell you the story," he said when Rumil looked from the plush toy, to Gimli, and back to the toy, scratching his head. To Haldir, he said, "Thank you, your highness." Haldir nodded and adjusted the crown that was still on his head. "Now, I will admit, kissing your mother was the highlight of my evening, but this certainly will be a gift to treasure." Gimli went back to the parlor to show off the stuffed toy to Legolas and anyone else who would look, and to thank the twins for their work, while Rumil and Haldir tried not to shudder at the images that began to creep into their minds.

From nowhere, Orophin suddenly showed up, leaning over them from behind, and he said, "Samwise knows some excellent songs, some of them are interchangeable with other words, such as 'I saw momma kissing Yuletide Da' - which, is this strange character that they believe in who fills the socks of good little halflings with candy and toys- can easily be changed to 'I saw Nana kissing Gim-mi-li, underneath the mistletoe tonight'." When Orophin found that he was getting the desired reaction, he continued, " 'I know it might sound weird, but I think she likes his beard, It's fairly nearly everything that Ada always feared!' "

Cringing, Haldir looked to Rumil. "Fresh snow."

"Outside," nodded Rumil.

"Two to one." Haldir nodded. "Good odds."

"Oh, damn." Orophin took one step toward the stairs before he was tackled by Rumil as Haldir opened the door, and the three of them tumbled out into the chilly air, laughing and frolicking, and making future Yuletide memories.
Happy...? by Zhie
“Good morning to all of you,” greeted the elf standing in the doorway. Orophin gave a bit of a wave to him, and Rumil smiled, being that he had his hands full cradling his baby sister. Haldir scowled at him over a mug of cocoa.

“When do you plan to learn to knock?”

“Lord Elrond said I am welcome here always.” Legolas grinned as Celebrian motioned to an empty seat at the breakfast table. The five siblings had begun to have breakfast together on a regular basis, once a week to catch up on events, and their pseudo-sibling often showed up for the gathering. Even living in the same house, one could not know all of the events that occurred. They had chosen the day past midweek, for it was usually the least eventful and was Rumil’s day with Tallasinde. Haldir and Orophin had yet to master being able to feed Tallasinde and themselves at the same time, and Celebrian tended to defer her days now to Haldir as her due date approached.

“But when do you plan to learn to knock?” pressed Haldir, passing the plate of sausage Legolas was pointing to.

“You mean to tell me that the ears of the great Captain of the Galadhrim are not able to pick up the sound of my footsteps from a mile in the distance?” grinned Legolas, helping himself to bread and jam as well.

Haldir raised a brow. “I heard you well enough. Still, there is a knocker upon the door. And a bell to ring, as well,” he said, referring to the large brass bell attached to a cord that could be pulled if no one answered the summons of the knocking.

Celebrian shook her head. “You know full well he comes for breakfast with us.” She effectively shushed her brother from further comment with a wave of her hand. Defeated, Haldir rested back into his chair and sipped from his mug.

“We missed you yesterday, Legolas.” Rumil shifted the now-sleeping bundle in his arms.

Legolas looked up too suddenly, and a bit of fearfulness flashed in his eyes. “Yesterday?”

“Yes, yesterday.” Rumil reached for his orange juice, his focus still on Tallasinde. “One of the goats gave birth. Bad time for it,” added Rumil. “Too snowy for the poor kid to roam much, but, he seems a sturdy fellow. It was great fun, though, once he was on his legs, he romped about in the barn, silly thing.”

“Oh,” Legolas said quietly, and his expression loosened a bit as he bowed his head slightly to regard his plate. Although some of the siblings at the table missed the look Legolas had, most had not.

“Clebri, I planned to spend time with the goats this morning. Does Elrond have plans that you know of, for I would like for him to join me,” said Rumil.

“None that I am aware of,” Celebrian told him. “It would give Elrond something to do while I am occupied, for I promised Nana that I would help her with baking a cake.”

“What for?” The same worried look was in Legolas’ eyes once more.

Celebrian shrugged, apparently unaware of the odd behavior being exhibited by their guest. “It is a new recipe, and she likes to have a second opinion on things.”

Legolas nodded. “No special occasion, then.”

“She did not say there was one.” Celebrian looked over to Rumil. “Perhaps the new goat?”

“Could very well be,” said Rumil, tucking the blanket around Tallasinde.

“Ah.” Legolas once more looked down at his plate.

Haldir set his mug down and poured maple syrup over his eggs before starting to eat them. “I wonder if the invitations have arrived yet.”

Legolas nearly choked on his meal, and received a pat on the back and a worried look from Celebrian. Still coughing, Legolas looked up at Haldir in askance.

“We are hosting the Merende Earende. Festival of the Sea. It’s been such a long time since there was one.” Haldir drizzled more syrup onto his plate, adding, “It shall not take place for well over a year, but time must be given for the performances to be prepared.”

Legolas nodded, taking a long drink of the water Celebrian had offered him.

Orophin, who had remained silent for the entire time with the exception of his eating finally burst when he looked up to see the small group assembled at the kitchen door. “Alright, Legolas, how old are you this year?”

Legolas dropped his fork, his eyes wide.

“Surprise!” Legolas jumped around from his seat to find many of the house’s inhabitants along with a few others, including his parents and brother, in the doorway.

“You have to tell us!” begged Orophin. “Do you know how difficult it was planning this without knowing your age?”

“You should see the invitations, laddie.” A familiar voice said, and Gimli stepped forward, holding out a folded paper to Legolas. On the front was an advertisement for the King’s Kastle, meant to disguise what was inside – an invitation that began ‘Join us in surprising Legolas on his ?th Birthday.’

“Invitations?” Legolas glanced at Haldir.

“We ARE hosting the Merende Earende, but, yes, those are the invitations of which I spoke.”

“Cake?” His eyes moved to look at Celebrian.

“Baked yesterday,” she admitted. “We knew we could never lure you here on your actual birthday, but just in case, it was finished yesterday in the afternoon.”

“Goat?”

Rumil smirked. “Didn't you always want a goat?” He laughed as Legolas narrowed his eyes at him. “There is no goat. I must say, it was amusing watching your reactions.”

Legolas narrowed his eyes further. “Glad to be of service. You do understand, elves do not usually celebrate their birthdays once they reach fifty,” Legolas informed the elves sitting at the table grinning at him.

“This is a new age, full of new traditions.” Elrond walked into the room, holding a party hat covered in pink fluffy feathers. “Here you are. Your birthday crown,” he said, presenting it with flourish, poofing up the feathers. “Glad I saved it.”

“I am to wear…THAT?” Legolas pointed at the hat and wrinkled his nose.

“It could be worse,” Elrond told him, settling the hat onto Legolas’ head. “You could have awoken to find a flamingo in your room.”

“Or, we could have blindfolded you, tied you to a tree, and later pushed you into a pit filled with honey,” explained Haldir.

“I am ever so disappointed,” Legolas said rather unconvincingly. “But I suppose when an elf gets to be- gets to a certain age,” he stopped himself in time, “it is expected that they act in a certain manner and do not do such things as an elfling would.”

“Worry not, for Haldir came up with a few excellent games for this evening,” Orophin said with a grin.

“You.” Legolas pointed across the table, adjusting the hat so that it would not tumble off. “You set this up, didn’t you?” Haldir’s grinning spoke volumes. “You, of all elves.”

“Perhaps you forget, but you were supposed to aid me in my escape from my own birthday festivities, and I ended up unconscious on the floor of the King’s Kastle.”

“One good turn deserves another, then?” sighed Legolas.

“Aye,” Haldir smiled. “Happy Birthday, Legolas. Whichever one it might be.”
Me Gusta Southron by Zhie
"Quit it already," demanded Celebdreth, tossing a pillow toward the twins, not quite caring which it hit.

"Sorry, but the days of wine and roses are over," apologized Elrohir.

Catching the pillow, Elladan added, "And ribbons and games and cavorting in the caves. We have come to the conclusion that if neither of us can agree upon whom should properly court Glorcheniel, then neither of us shall do it and we shall do it together."

"This is madness!" complained Celebdreth. He walked across the room and sat between them, crossing his arms in a huff. "You are like brothers to me, and yet you are my best friends, cousins. I have no other friends, not truly. What am I to do when you run off and marry your beloved? How came you to this sudden decision without my consent?"

"Your consent!" laughed Elladan. "Ai, you remind me of our father, not our brother!" He affectionately kissed the younger elf on the top of his head as Elrohir smirked. "May we seek your permission now?"

"No! Never," he pouted, wriggling away from the arm Elrohir placed around him halfheartedly. "I still can't believe this. I shall wave goodbye to you and be left alone in the house, living sad and alone for the rest of my days."

"Oh, will you listen to him, El?" Elladan shook his head. "Celebdreth, we've not even formally asked permission. You're the first to be told."

"Thank you," he mumbled unappreciatively.

Elrohir ruffled his cousin's mane playfully. "Celebdreth," he said, "do you think we are going to run off and steal her away somewhere? Nay, we are honorable. We plan to show the greatest respect. First, we are going to wait a few weeks until she returns from visiting her family. Then, we shall go to everyone individually and explain ourselves – this isn't something to rush into. We will not likely be married for a few years."

"That gives us plenty of time to find a nice girl for you," teased Elladan.

"I can find my own girls," he defended.

"Celebdreth, that is precisely your problem," scolded Elrohir. "Why must you always acquire them in pairs?"

"What?" Celebdreth stood up and paced the room. "You're a fine one to talk, both of you! How is it okay for Glorcheniel to get both of you, while I can only have one elleth?"

Elladan sighed and stood up, walking to Celebdreth to slow down his pacing. When he could not, he fell in step beside him. "You've gained status as a very loose sort of elf," he said.

"Loose? Loose!"

"Yes, loose, now stop shouting, you're hurting my head," complained Elladan. "You walk around with more than one beauty on your arm, you kiss them all, you touch them in a publicly indecent manner – but `tis alright here in the Kastle," he said quickly as Celebdreth's fists balled up. "When you have one elleth, it is a good balance. When you have two, they both want to be more dominant, and that always causes problems. Look what happened with Caliel and Isilwen."

Celebdreth finally halted. "That still doesn't explain you and Elrohir."

"With males, `tis different," spoke up Elrohir. "An elleth already feels that on some level she is submitting to the elf – she joins his house, she lives in his home and so forth. Often we are referred to as Elrond's sons, but never as Celebrian's, and quite honestly, she had a lot more to do with our birth than he did! From the elleth's point of view, she wouldn't want to have another elleth around that might be more dominant than she is. Perhaps it can work between us and Glorcheniel because we do not have that view. True, one of us is more dominant than the other, that I will not deny, but we can accept that, and we are not jealous of one another, and it simply feels as if it is the thing for us to do."

"Ah." Celebdreth still did not quite look convinced. "You know I am happy for you, and I will be happy for you, but..."

"You still don't think it will work," both of his cousins responded.

"I told you to quit that!" said Celebdreth, retrieving his boots from under the couch.

Elrohir stood up with alarm. "We're sorry, Celebdreth. Please, don't run off, it's late. Just get some sleep and we can talk more tomorrow."

"I need a drink," he mumbled, walking out of the suite they were using. Since Legolas' return, they had been able to curry many favors out of the now part-owner of the inn and dancehall. Trudging down the steps, Celebdreth found no one in the hallway or in the lobby as he entered the dancehall and approached the bar.

Celebdreth found that nearly everyone had left, though there were not many elves to be found during the winter. The passes were not ideal for the horses to cross, and so most elves who lived near the shore went into the cities after the harvest and stayed with family until the spring. The inhabitants of the First Homely House stayed right where they were, and the few elves who remained in the eastern valley stayed at the King's Kastle, making for more subdued entertainment than usual.

Consequently, the caves were not open, and the musicians had gone to bed at a decent hour. Haldir was sitting at the bar conversing with Legolas, who was tending it, and there was an elleth at the opposite end hunched over a large book and holding a drink in her left hand, just off to the side of the book.

"You're up late," remarked Legolas. "Anything I can get you?"

"I could say the same," answered Celebdreth as he sat down next to Haldir. "Coffee, please, if there is any." He watched both Haldir and Legolas lift their mugs before Legolas walked to the small hearth behind the counter to get another mug of it. "I wasn't sure that the bar would still be open."

"Well," answered his uncle, lowering his voice, "we would have retired, but he doesn't want to be rude and ask her to leave, and I don't think it is my place. So I offered to stay here and keep him awake until she left, but that was nearly four hours ago." Haldir smirked across the bar as he watched Legolas and added, "I'm about ready to leave and risk getting kicked out of bed when he finally comes to our room."

"Perhaps I could persuade her to leave," offered Celebdreth, a wicked glint in his eye.

Haldir shook his head. "You don't want to offend her. She's staying another few months or perhaps Legolas would have said something."

Frowning, Celebdreth shrugged as Legolas returned with a fresh mug of hot coffee for him. "I wasn't going to toss her over my shoulder and carry her upstairs or anything like that," he snapped back. Haldir and Legolas exchanged glances, unsure of what to make of Celebdreth's behavior as he sipped his coffee. "Is there any sugar?" he asked, looking around.

"I think I have some..." Legolas looked around, and then his eyes fell to the end where the elleth was sitting. "Oh, it's down there, she asked for it earlier."

Celebdreth looked down where the elleth sat and was surprised to see her eyes shift toward him momentarily before she went back to her book. Picking up his mug from the counter, Celebdreth walked toward her. "Greetings," he said as he approached.

"Good evening," replied the elleth without looking up.

"Good morning," responded Celebdreth, somewhat pointedly. He checked himself, and then asked, "I was wondering, if you would be so kind, as to pass the sugar?"

The elleth looked up from her book, but not at Celebdreth. Instead, she raised her head with her eyes straight forward, and then looked to her right where the sugar bowl was. "Why do you not simply walk around behind me and retrieve it yourself?" she asked.

"Because it would be ever such a delight to have you pass it to me instead," he answered suavely, and added, "I had just but a glimpse of your beautiful brown eyes the first time you looked up at me."

The elleth said nothing, merely picking up the bowl with her free hand and moving it over her books to the other side of the counter. She then looked back down at her book.

Sadly, Celebdreth spooned sugar into his mug, and then gave a little nod of his head. "Thank you ever so, m'lady," he said as he turned to walk back to where Haldir and Legolas were pretending not to watch.

"De nada," she replied. Celebdreth froze and turned around.

"Al contrario fue un placer," answered Celebdreth with a smirk. The elleth suddenly looked up. She was so shocked, her glass fell from her hand, but Celebdreth stepped forward, caught it, placed it on the counter, and then turned and went back without a drop of either drink spilling to the floor.

"What was that all about?" asked Legolas as Celebdreth sat down rather smugly on the stool.

"She speaks Southron," Celebdreth answered. "As do I." The second sentence was said very haughtily, and in a manner that made Legolas wonder if it was Haldir's child and not Rumil's that he was talking to.

"Oh, not that foul language again," complained Haldir, shaking his head. "There are some things that should not have been brought to Valinor," he said, looking at Legolas.

"If this is going to get us into another conversation about Gimli-" he warned, waving a bar rag at Haldir's nose.

Celebdreth felt a light touch on his shoulder and turned to see the elleth had silently walked over. She was looking past him at Legolas, and particularly at Haldir with a bit of distaste, but smiled when Celebdreth did. "¿Disculpe, podria hablar con usted?" said the elleth

"No hay nada de que disculparse," answered Celebdreth, taking her hand in his. He lifted her fingers to his lips and gently kissed the back of her hand. "Tus ojos son mas hermosos que la primera vez que los vi, pero tu primera mirada estara por siempre atesorada en mi Corazon."

"I truly hate that language," Haldir mumbled in Westron.

"Because you don't like the sound of it, or because you can't understand it?" wondered Legolas.

"Southron is a difficult tongue to learn, and you need not fault yourself for not being able to master it," spoke the elleth in absolutely perfect Westron, no hint of an accent whatsoever. "It takes a certain amount of intelligence to be so gifted to learn a language such as Southron."

Haldir slowly turned his head to look at Legolas. "I think she just insulted me," he said in Noldorin. To his dismay, he was answered in Noldorin, but not by Legolas.

"While you ponder whether I did or not, would you kindly allow us a bit of privacy?" The elleth then made a shooing motion with her hand and sat down next to Celebdreth's right side, paying no further attention to Haldir or Legolas.

Chuckling at the turn of events, Legolas put out the fire in the hearth by shutting the small iron doors and then motioned that he was leaving. Haldir gave the elleth a final contemptuous look before leaving, but she was already deep in discussion with Celebdreth and did not notice.

"Oh, thank you. I thought they'd never leave!" she exclaimed when the hall was finally emptied of everyone but Celebdreth and the elleth. "Beineilian," she said, offering her hand again, which Celebdreth once more kissed. She smiled and asked, "Do you always do that?"

"No, not always," he replied, not letting go of her hand. "Actually, not usually," he admitted sheepishly. "I don't usually spend much time with ladies," he said, and then said quickly, "Not that I spend any time with ellin! I mean, it isn't that I'm interested in them – well, not as... oh, this is coming out all wrong," he sighed mournfully. "What I mean is, you're quite... sophisticated, compared to the ellith I tend to, um..."

"Kiss?" she asked.

"Yes. Well, no! Well..."

Beineilian smiled seductively. "How exactly do you kiss the unsophisticated ellith you spend time with?"

"Oh... it's hard to describe," he said. He paused and gave her a sideways look. "I'd probably have to show you." The elleth's expression was one that begged him to continue, and without further warning, Celebdreth slid his hand up along her face, capturing her cheek to pull her closer as he leaned in to kiss her quite soundly. "It's a bit like that, darling," he said, winking at her as his usual sly self resurfaced.

"Mmm. What did you say your name was?"

"I didn't. It's Celebdreth."

Beineilian looked Celebdreth over and said, "How long have you spoken Southron?"

"I don't recall. Lord Elrond taught me a bit, and I picked up the rest independently," he replied.

"Mmm." The elleth's eyes traveled over his form once again. "I dreamed about you last night."

"You- wait, what?" Celebdreth's heart beat in his chest, and he looked around to see if the room was truly empty. "You dreamed about me?"

"Well, I dreamed about a tall elf with cinnamon hair," she began.

"Yes?"

Her eyes traveled down past his chest and then back up again. "Handsome and charming, and just a little arrogant."

Celebdreth blushed. "Yes," he admitted.

"And he spoke to me in Southron..." she continued.

"Si," he said with a grin.

"...as we made love in the early morning hours."

Celebdreth blinked, glad that his mug was firmly on the top of the counter, or he knew it would have fallen from his hand. Beineilian stood up and drew a chain up from around her neck, on which hung a key not unlike the one he had to the suite he shared with the twins. "Ven, vamos a hablar Sureño," she said seductively in his ear as she dangled the key over his shoulder before letting it drop into his lap. Her tongue darted out and traced the edge of his ear to the very point before she added, "Room forty-seven. Ten minutes. Bring my books," and walked out of the hall.

After a few minutes of just breathing, Celebdreth picked up the key, and then walked around the counter to retrieve a bottle of cool wine from the small cellar, hoping Legolas would understand the need for it. He shook his head as he walked toward the stairs. "They lied to me, both of them," he mumbled to himself. "I am certainly NOT going to be the dominant one..."

-- TRANSLATIONS --

De nada – There is nothing to thank me for.

Al contrario fue un placer - On the contrary it was my pleasure

¿Disculpe podria hablar con usted? - pardon me could we talk

No hay nada de que disculparse – Please, there is nothing to excuse

Tus ojos son mas hermosos que la primera vez que los vi, pero tu primera mirada estara por siempre atesorada en mi Corazon - Your eyes are more beautiful than the first time I saw them, but your first glance will always be dear to my heart.

Ven, vamos a hablar Sureño – Come, let us speak Southron
Denial by Zhie
"... and some eggs... and a few strips of bacon... maybe a sweet roll. Hmm, maybe two," decided Celebdreth as he filled up his plate at the buffet that was set every morning for breakfast. Elladan's head turned to regard the heaping helpings of food on his cousin's platter. He poked his brother, and Elrohir tilted his head as he looked over the vast amount of food the normally picky elf was taking.

"Ay, Celeb, did you ever return last night?"

"Hmmm? Oh! Pancakes, must have those..."

"To the room," pressed Elladan. "Did you stay up somewhere all night? We never heard you return."

"Oh, no, I didn't," replied Celebdreth, pouring syrup over his pancakes. "I met an elleth and bonded with her."

Elrohir's plate crashed to the ground as Elladan's eyes widened to the size of two huge saucers. "Seriously," he said, and without having to turn or look, reached over and closed Elrohir's gaping mouth.

Grinning, Celebdreth pulled a bunch of grapes from the bowl and plopped them onto his plate.

"Honestly, Celeb!" Elladan set his plate down on the nearest table and crossed his arms. "This isn't funny. Quit it."

"You're right, it isn't," he agreed. "It's a very special moment for me, and you're the first to be told."

"Thank you ever so," said Elladan, but he did not budge. "Really, Celebdreth, bonded? So soon? To whom?"

"To my wife, now that I think of it." Celebdreth's grin grew wider. "For all intents and purposes, in the eyes of the Valar, she is my wife. I'm married," he said happily, adding a banana to the overfilled plate.

"Did you think to consult with us?" blurted out Elrohir.

Celebdreth shook his head "No. You never really asked me about Glorcheniel."

"Yes, but you know her at least!" Elladan threw his hands in the air. "We don't even know her name!"

A lithe figure swerved around Celebdreth and held out a hand to Elladan. "Beineilian, and now you know me," she said.

Elrohir collapsed to the ground.

With a great sigh, Elladan rolled his eyes. "Elladan, charming to meet you. Celebdreth, can you help me a moment?" he asked, tapping Elrohir's limp arm with the toe of his boot.

"Darling, I'll be just a moment," Celebdreth said. "Shall I meet you in your-" He smiled. "In our rooms, sweetheart?"

Beineilian leaned over and kissed Celebdreth's cheek. "I'll be waiting for you," she said. She set her plate on a tray, took Celebdreth's from him, and after a short, shared kiss, smiled and took the tray out of the hall.

"Celebdreth!" Elrohir was still on the ground, face covered. "Your father is going to kill us! He's going to kill you, and then he's going to kill us!"

"Really, El," Celebdreth said distastefully, "I have no time for your childish scenes."

"But- you- what- El!" Elrohir appealed to Elladan, who was still looking fairly upset.

"Celebdreth, why? Why now, and why so suddenly?"

"She speaks Southron," he said simply. "And she had a dream about me."

Elladan snorted. "I was in a bar in Rohan once where not one, but two women claimed to have dreamed about me. I don't know if they spoke Southron, but even if they did, I wasn't going to bond with them with that knowledge alone!"

"Does your entourage know?" questioned Elrohir, still on the floor, but sitting now.

"No. It wasn't as if I sent out invitations to the event," Celebdreth shot back.

"Your father is going to kill us," Elrohir said again, hanging his head.

"Oh, you're exaggerating," Celebdreth said. "Ada is very relaxed in these matters."

Elladan gave him a look he had no doubt learned from his Ada. "Is that why you never tell him about any of the ellith you fancy?"

"Ah, ah, that's all in the past now. I'm a married elf now," he said proudly. "Besides, the only reason I never brought the others home is, well, quite frankly they would have run away." Both of the twins nodded in agreement on this. "Beineilian is different, though."

"Obviously. She's your wife." Elrohir threw his arms into the air. "Your father is going to-"

"Stop it! If he gets upset with anyone, it will be Uncle Haldir. He's the one who left me alone with her last night."

The twins looked at one another, hope in their eyes. "Excellent. We shall blame it on Uncle Haldir."

"Works for me," replied Elrohir, standing up.

- - -

Celebdreth took a deep breath. He had asked everyone to assemble in the parlor so that he could make an announcement to them, but now he wasn't so sure this was the best idea. For over a month, he had kept the secret, staying at the King's Kastle with his cousins and uncle. The twins harassed him on a daily basis, but Haldir wasn't aware of the true nature of the relationship that Celebdreth and Beineilian had.

His wife had work elsewhere - she was a priestess of Ulmo, a water keeper, and had returned to her home when Celebdreth returned to his. Both, somehow, had been content with that, that they would share the winters together and tend to their tasks the rest of the year, save for a few visits now and then. Although they farspoke to one another daily, the distance made them lonely for one another, and he had little choice but to tell the family now, or else he would have to try to explain things in a few hours when she arrived to see him.

Mustering his courage, Celebdreth entered the suddenly quiet room. All eyes focused on him as he tried to recall the practiced speech, but nothing seemed to come to him at the moment. Clearing his throat, he asked, "I suppose you all wonder why you're here, don't you?"

The was an uncomfortable silence until Orophin said, "Because you told all of us to gather here. So, we don't wonder why we're here, just why you called us here." The older elf missed the glare shot at him from his mother, who followed Orophin's words with, "Celebdreth, whatever it is you wish to tell us, we will accept, child. Tell us, for we will not love you any less if that is what troubles you."

"I, uhm..." Glancing at the floor briefly before looking up again, he sought out the eyes of his parents as he announced, "I've bonded. I have a wife."

"Yes!" exclaimed Celeborn softly, nodding victoriously. Galadriel's glare turned on her husband, who tried to regain his composure and added, "Well, that's very nice, Celebdreth, congratulations." Galadriel her fingers to her temples, bowing her head.

"Someone tell me he didn't," she pleaded.

Celebdreth began to open his mouth in apology, but Celebrian said, "He did. But it was two days after you told him not to, so for that you should be thankful."

"I couldn't help it, after the ridiculous things everyone else was coming up with- Elrond thought the secret was that he didn't like ellith," replied Celeborn.

"Do we really need to divulge what everyone was speculating," mumbled Elrond as his face turned slightly pink. "Besides, it's Haldir's fault for-"

Pointing at Orophin, Haldir said, "He was the one who started it. All I said was 'I think Celebdreth's hiding something'."

Rumil looked from one brother to the other and burst out laughing, silencing everyone in the room. "I get it now. This is all one big joke. You two did the set up, Ada played along with Elrond, and now, here's the big finale where I get shocked and then we all have a good laugh at my expense. Very nice. Very nice," he said, clapping his hands together. Feeling a hand on his shoulder, he turned to look at Nenniach.

"Darling, I don't think this was a joke," she said to him, a very serious look on her face.

"Oh, you, too? Well, you're not going to fool me," Rumil said, still laughing as he stood up. "I'm sorry to spoil your fun, but I'm not sold on the act." Patting his son on the shoulder as he walked to the door, he said, "Why don't you bring your wife by for dinner tonight, hmm?" He snickered, shaking his head to himself as he left the room.

"Oh, crap," was all Celebdreth was able to say after his father had exited.

Nenniach stood up and approached her son. "How long?"

"A month," he said. "I'm sorry, Nana, I meant to say something sooner, but-"

"Shh, do you know how many of us in this room kept secret our bonding? I did, for over a year," she said comfortingly. "Your father and I did not even marry properly for two more."

"I think all of us bonded before marriage without- Oro, put your hand down, we know full well the two of you made it known of your bonding to one and all," scolded Celebrian. "Your father is simply in denial, because I think that is his way of coping with this."

"What is there to cope with? Honestly?"

"Age. Perhaps we do not feel it," spoke Galadriel, "but the first time one of your children comes to you to tell you they are not your child anymore, but someone's lover, someone's spouse, things change. It is the beginning of something new, a new family. To that point, a parent is part of everything in the life of their child, and though they may be a part of that new family in some way, it is something that they must disassociate from. And, it's hard," she admitted, her voice cracking slightly.

"And getting through it once doesn't make it any easier each time it happens," said Celeborn, sliding an arm around his wife's shoulder and pulling her closer.

"Maybe it would be best if, if we might be introduced to her?" questioned Nenniach. There was something hopeful in her voice.

"Of course! Actually, I was going to add, she's coming to meet everyone tonight," said Celebdreth.

- - -

"This is marvelous," said Rumil whispered to Celebdreth during dinner. "You even found an elleth to come over and pretend. That takes a LOT of planning. So, is she an actress? She's playing along so well." Across the table, Beineilian was chatting happily with Celebrian and Elrond, passing loving glances now and then to Celebdreth.

"Adar, she's my wife," he replied in a hushed voice. "It isn't an act."

"Listen to him," Rumil said with a chuckle, turning to address Nenniach. "His wife! He's good at this, better than Orophin."

Nenniach sighed, and looked around the table, trying to figure out who or what would convince her husband of the truth. Seeing the equally distraught-looking twins, she kept her focus on them until she had the attention of both. Picking up her spoon discretely, she waved it near her wine glass, and then tossed her head slightly in the direction of Beineilian. Nodding, Elladan and Elrohir rose up, glasses and spoons in hand.

"Attention! Attention, please!" Elladan tapped the side of his glass, mimicking Elrohir's movements as he spoke. "Our dear cousin, our favorite cousin-"

"Your only cousin," pointed out Orophin with a grin.

"As we said, our cousin dearest to our hearts, Celebdreth, has finally found his match. Eru help the poor girl," added Elladan, sparking a light laughter. "May your new lives together be happy, healthy, and most important of all, delightfully silly." He clinked his glass to his brother's. "To Celebdreth and Beineilian!"

The sentiment was echoed around the table, and even Rumil, somewhat warily, picked up his glass after prodded by his wife and drank from it as his son stood up and motioned for Beineilian to as well.

"Thank you, dear cousins of mine, and thank you, everyone, for being so accepting of my beautiful wife, and yes, we will have a more formal ceremony in the future. For now, we have our reasons for remaining where we are, I here and she in the valley, but I hope when the time comes, that you will all join us when we properly wed one another. I promise, we shall have a translator for those of you who do not speak Southron," he said with a smile.

"No me gusta Southron!" shouted Orophin as he raised his glass up. "Me gusta Celebdreth and Beineilian!" He tapped his glass with his own spoon, the rest of the family following suit, except for Rumil, who watched carefully as his son drew Beineilian into his arms and the two of them gently kissed.

"This is all real, isn't it?" whispered Rumil to Nenniach. Slowly, his wife nodded. "Our baby's all grown up," he murmured beneath the din of the clinking glasses, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye as he stood. "Everyone, please, if I might have a moment to speak." The group silenced as Rumil lifted his glass. "I'm not much one for giving advice, at least not regarding the affairs of the heart, for I have never myself had any troubles with that," he said, smiling as he turned his head to regard Nenniach. "I will offer you one thing that was said to me by a very wise elf." He looked over in the direction of Celeborn before he said, "Take care of each other, and everything else will work out." There were tears glistening in Rumil's eyes as Celebdreth took long strides to reach his father and embrace him.

"We will," he promised. "Thank you, Ada."
Remember Me by Zhie
"There is a letter."

- - -

One large gloved hand held onto a much smaller hand in a mitten, no matter how much she wiggled about, trying to see everything in the valley and how it changed since the snowfall. Branches dusted white amazed her, and more than once she regarded the frost-covered leaves with awe. "Can we bring some to Nana?" she asked when they found a group of late blooming flowers, their petals stretched out in a white canvas of crystals.

"No, they would not make it to the house," Elrond explained. "We must enjoy these out here."

"But they will melt in the sun," said Arwen, looking up to the sky with worry.

"Not all beauty is meant to last." Elrond bent down and picked her up when she did not step with him away from the flowers. "There are many wonderful things that we must enjoy while we have the time, else they will be lost from us."

Arwen nodded and placed her head upon his shoulder. "I wish I could keep those things forever."

"As do I," he said softly.

- - -

"She gave it to Celeborn, only, he had not broken the seal."

- - -

"Open your eyes."

"Must I?"

"You'll hurt the little lady's feelings if you don't."

With a muffled sigh, Erestor blinked his eyes open to the sunlight. He knew that he had been escorted outside, but not quite where Glorfindel had led him. To the left, the blonde was smiling. To the right, Elrond and Elrohir. Elrohir had a most wicked smirk, and it was to him that Erestor looked. "Where are your siblings?" he questioned.

"Uncle Erestor! Over here!" called out Elladan. Erestor looked out over the field before glancing back at Elrohir.

"That's my horse."

"One of them," smiled Elrohir.

Elladan walked the huge dark horse up to the waiting group of elves, with Arwen dancing alongside. "Before you say a thing," began Elladan, "this is not a prank. This was Arwen's idea."

"And the two are not connected?" Erestor muttered under his breath so that only the elf lords on either side of him heard. He stepped forward to the proud horse and looked him up and down. "Morir, you're looking quite... floral today," he said. The horse threw back his head and high stepped his way around the entire group, showing off of the blooms that were woven through his mane and tail.

"My, Erestor, what a queer horse you have," joked Glorfindel with a wink.

With a snort and so only the adults could hear, Erestor replied, "You would know." Glorfindel smirked and blew him a kiss.

"If that means pretty, then yes, he's a very queer horse," Arwen said, complimenting her own work.

"I suppose he's going to make the rest of my horses jealous, isn't he, now?" asked Erestor, patting his lead horse's neck once he stopped prancing about.

Arwen shook her head, tugging on her 'uncle's' fingers when she wasn't sure he had seen her. "No, no, he won't, not at all! I fixed all of them like this!" Erestor gave Elrond a worried look, but the tugging on his hand again made him look back to Arwen. "The carriage, too, it's all decorated."

"Oh. That's... very nice of you," he said, "but I have a race this afternoon."

"I know! That's why I did it!" she said gleefully. "All the rest of the horses are always pretty and braided and yours never are. That always makes me sad, and I think it makes you sad, too."

"I don't have the time to make them pretty," Erestor said apologetically.

"But I do!" Arwen shouted with glee. "At the start of every race," she recalled, "each rider has a pretty lady who puts flower wreaths on his horses and hands him a flower and gives him a kiss. I think I can do all of that if El'n'El help lift me up sometimes. You are going to have the prettiest horses in the whole wide world." She tugged on his hand again. "Uncle Erestor, there's something else!" She motioned impatiently to Elrohir, who grinned and stepped around his father, presenting a package to Erestor. "You have to open it," she explained to him, rocking back and forth on her feet.

Erestor carefully unwrapped the package and pulled from the plain paper a beautifully embroidered jerkin like those of the other horsemasters who raced across the lands. The crest of his house was displayed on the left breast of the garment and shone in the sunlight, the three silver stars prominent above the blue waters. "Shall I ask the occasion?" he questioned softly.

Arwen cued her brothers, father, and Uncle Finny in with a wave of her hand. "Happy Begetting Day, Erestor!" shouted the group, and Erestor blushed when some of the other residents of the house looked up from their daily chores at the little group on the lawn.

"Thank you, but as I have said before, I do not know when that is."

"That's why we decided for you!" Arwen beamed, brimming over with enthusiasm. "Nana said that any day after she finished this, we could do it. She said you liked late spring best, too. It was very hard for us to wait, Uncle Erestor!"

"Listen to you!" laughed Elladan. "It was so difficult for you to wait, not us! We have acquired patience in our old age," he teased.

"Well, so will I," she answered, still fidgeting around. "You should try it on to make sure it fits for the race today," she insisted. "I helped to draw the designs with Papa, and El'n'El dyed the cloth, and Nana sewed it."

Now smiling, Erestor looked at Glorfindel. "And what was your part in all this?"

"They let me pick the day," he answered. "For the most part, it was all little Lady Arwen's idea."

"My lady, I thank you," said Erestor as lowered himself to one knee. "This may be my 'first' begetting day, but 'tis truly the best," he said, kissing her hand as she giggled.

- - -

"Celebrian and I read it this morning."

- - -

"What's wrong with him?" asked Arwen, her arms wrapped around her mother's neck as her father approached them. In the distance, she could see her uncles and brothers standing over a very large creature on the ground. Her mother tried to hush her as they stood watching from the porch. Celebrian placed her hand on the back of Arwen's head to keep her from looking at the scene.

Arwen wiggled towards her father as he approached. "Papa, what's wrong with Morir?" she whined, struggling to be let down. Elrond held out his arms and took his youngest child in his arms.

"There's nothing, exactly wrong," he said carefully. "He has come to the end of his life."

Arwen took in these words with a puzzled look before sneaking a look back around at the horse on the ground in the distance. "That's why he fell down?"

Swallowing hard, Elrond nodded. "Yes, my little love, that's why he fell down. He is old."

"Older than you?"

Elrond gave her a little smile. "No, sweets, he isn't older than I am. But he is very old."

"How old?"

"Thirty-eight years," recounted Elrond.

Arwen gripped her father's arm. "Papa! I'm nearly thirty!"

"Oh, darling child, no, no, don't worry," he said, holding her close. "He was old for a horse. Not for an elf."

"When does an elf get to the end of their life?" asked Arwen.

Elrond held his breath. "Elves do not. If they... die... they are reborn. Glorfindel died once."

"Oh. When will Uncle Elros be reborn? I want to meet him."

Closing his eyes, Elrond said, "He won't be reborn. He chose a mortal life to the life of the Eldar."

"Did you get to choose?"

"Yes." Elrond's voice was barely audible. "I chose to be among elves, he chose the race of men. You and your brothers, you have that same choice."

Arwen looked out across the yard again, seeing that everyone except Erestor had stepped back from Morir, and that the tall elf she called uncle was gently stroking the gigantic horse's neck. She watched the slightest rise and fall from the horse's side, until finally it slowed and stopped. "Is he gone?"

"Yes," answered Elrond simply. "The part that made him Morir is gone. All that is left is an empty shell, of what he looked like to us, but his spirit is gone."

"Where?"

Elrond shook his head. "That I do not know. It is a mystery that only those who choose mortality and death will ever know."

"I don't think I want to know," Arwen said uneasily. "When do I have to decide?"

"Not for a long time, my love," he said soothingly.

"Thank you, Papa," she said, snuggling closer to him.

- - -

"I will read it to all of you now."

- - -

"Can you try something for me?" asked Arwen cautiously. Glorfindel nodded and walked from the table in the private family kitchen to the counter where Arwen had been working for nearly an hour. "Taste this and let me know what you think."

Glorfindel looked down at the plate and picked up a large disk of light brown. He bit into it, chewed the crunchy object as Arwen cringed, and swallowed. "They're a little bland," he said honestly. "What kind of cookies are they supposed to be?"

"They're pancakes," she sighed. "I wanted to make breakfast for everyone. Just like..." Her voice wavered and tears came to her eyes. "Just like Nana used to. But she... she never taught me how."

Glorfindel put down the pancake, which cracked as it hit the plate, and drew her into his arms. "Dear, sweet child, have you heard of the expression, 'it is the thought that counts'?"

"Yes, but I want to cheer up Ada and El'n'el. They are so sad, and Elladan talks more and more of hunting down all the orc in all the land, I fear he and Elrohir will really ride off and do it. And Ada... I know nothing I can do will make him truly happy again, but I want to cheer him up, if only a little," sobbed Arwen.

She cried for a good long time, with Glorfindel simply listening to her thoughts as she spoke them. When she finally began to dry her eyes, he said, "If you'd like, I can teach you to make pancakes."

"You can make pancakes?" she asked. "I thought boys don't cook."

"What do you think we do when we're out on our own in the woods? We'd starve, or all end up eating raw fish. Blech." He led her to the table and sat her down on a chair. "I can cook all kinds of things, and pancakes are one of my favorites. Give me ten minutes and a smile, and I shall be ready to show you how to make them." The corners of Arwen's mouth turned up, and Glorfindel smiled back before he began to pull the ingredients off of the shelves to line them along the table.

- - -

"As we remember her."

- - -

"You've never kissed anyone before? No one?"

His questioned lingered as Arwen traced her fingers along the ivy that grew up the side of the tree. They were sitting on the railing of the highest of the flets, overlooking the vast forest of Lothlorien. She shook her head finally. "Nothing romantic, at least. I've kissed my brothers, and parents, family, and of course Erestor and Glorfindel and Lindir, they are like family. Especially Erestor. I know Glorfindel is the favorite for Elladan and Elrohir, but for me, I like Erestor. And I feel bad for him."

"Why is that?" questioned her companion.

She shrugged. "There is a sadness in him, and he has been hurt."

"He told you this?"

"No, he didn't have to. It's in his eyes, I can tell."

"Do you usually see those sorts of things in the eyes of others?" asked the elf.

"Sometimes I see things, sometimes not."

"Does your father know? Or your grandmother?" he pressed.

Arwen shook her head. "I don't really talk about that sort of thing, not with them."

"But you just told me."

"You're different. You're special, my best friend. I can tell you anything, I think." Arwen played with the ivy leaves again. "Just as you can tell me anything, right?"

"Right," he said without pause, but whether this was true or not, she still did not know.

"Right." Arwen twined her finger around an ivy stem. "Have you ever kissed anyone before?"

"Me? Well, yes," he admitted. "A few times. I thought it was romantic, but now I don't quite know if that was true."

"Why not?"

"Well... I have always heard that it is... special. Magical. Lifts you off of your feet, as if you're not quite on the ground."

"And you never felt that way when you kissed anyone?"

He shook his head. "Not yet at least."

"I wonder what it's like," she said slyly. She turned her head a little so that she was looking at him in a rather demure manner. "I would certainly not mind if someone who knew what he was doing kissed me. Just once," she said, but it was more of a plea.

"Only once?" His hand cupped her cheek and he licked his lips. "Alright."

Arwen's toes curled in her boots and her grip on the rail tightened as a softness pressed against her lips, covering hers and stealing away her breath. It drew back only slightly and the lips upon hers parted. She did the same, relaxing as a gentle haze and tingle came over her. Her heart raced, and her head felt light when he drew back with a lazy smile.

"How was that?"

"Like flying," she answered with a broad grin.

"Arwen!" called out a voice from with in the talan. "Arwen, we are packed, it is time to return to Imladris!" This was accented by a call from the ground of "Halli? Halli, the delegation is leaving! Where are you?"

She scrambled back over the railing. "Haldir, I must go!"

"I know, but you will return? Soon?" he asked hopefully as he placed his feet on the side that faced out toward the ground.

Arwen nodded. "I will only be gone for a short time. You could come with me, as an escort," she suddenly suggested.

"You could postpone your journey and stay here with me a little longer," he quickly said. Arwen bit her lip considering this as the call for her came again. Haldir suddenly took her hand and gave it a squeeze. "No, you had best go, you've been gone from your father, what, twenty years now? I will be here when you return." He kissed her hand and smiled. "Don't forget me," he teased as she ran to the door leading into the talan.

She turned and grinned at him. "Never," she said, blowing him a kiss as she went in.

- - -

"And, that is the end of it." Elrond folded the simple sheet containing barely two paragraphs of text and placed it back into the envelope. Celebrian reached out and placed a comforting hand upon his, and his eyes, red from crying the entire morning, welled up again. "I'm sorry, I must excuse myself," he choked, leaving the parlor quickly.

Celebrian followed, and in twos and threes, the others left as well. It was finally Haldir who remained, staring into the dying fire. A hand fell upon his shoulder, and he looked up at his father. "Well." Haldir looked back to the fire. "That's that."

"She gave me another letter, but I didn't want the others to know. It seemed from the way she spoke that it was something private for you." Pulling a yellowed envelope from his robe, Celeborn handed it to Haldir before quietly leaving.

For some time, Haldir held the envelope in his hands, feeling the corners and the edged of it, running them along the smooth surface. When he finally convinced himself that nothing that she had written could make him cry, he carefully broke the seal and pulled a small slip of paper from it. On it were two words, and a slight indentation. He actually missed it the first time, but upon examination, he realized what it was, and gently pressed his lips to where she had kissed the paper. "Always," he replied as his tears began to fall.

The fire slowly burned out, hissing into oblivion, into some place unknown.

The light of the Evenstar had flickered, faded, and was gone.
Valle Escondido de los Delfines [Small Valley of the Dolphins] by Zhie
"You're still my friend."

"Yes, always."

"But... not my lover..."

"Haldir, were we ever truly lovers? Or was I simply a means of forgetting what you really wanted?" Legolas turned and looked into the sad eyes that had meandered down the shoreline as they walked. "We love each other, yes. Like brothers, we are close, but I do not think this is what was meant to be."

"Then I am to be alone," sighed Haldir, a weight visibly upon his shoulders.

Legolas pushed Haldir's chin back up. "No, never alone. You have your family, all of us. Having a lover isn't the end all to everything. That, I can attest to," he said, his eyes sparkling with a slight playfulness. "Can we not still be brothers, in spirit if not by blood?"

With a nod, Haldir agreed. Legolas smiled, but it was a sad sort of smile, as he leaned in and kissed his cheek just as Orophin and Rumil so often did to Haldir.

- - -

"I need to find a way to cheer my brother up," mused Legolas to Rumil as they sat in the kitchen of the First Homely House, drinking hot chocolate as a light snow fell outside.

Orophin came to sit down with them. "What's wrong with Ilmendin?"

"He doesn't mean Ilmendin, he means Haldir," corrected Rumil. "I really hate it when you jump in mid-conversation, Oro."

"Fine. I'll have my own conversation."

"All by yourself?" questioned Rumil.

Picking up his plate, Orophin said, "Lovely day today, isn't it, Toast? Say, do you think we might find Egg somewhere - oh, there he is, he's just sleeping, poor little thing." Orophin picked up the hard boiled egg in one hand and petted it with the other. "Rise and shine, l'il guy."

Legolas and Rumil simply ignored Orophin's eccentric attempt to annoy them. "What sort of thing did you have in mind?" questioned Rumil.

"Nothing, really," answered Legolas. "Nearly everything I thought of to cheer him up involved things I told him we weren't going to do anymore."

"Good day to you, Mr. Porridge! I've not seen you and Madame Apricot out so late in the season before. Have you met my friend Toast?"

Swirling his spoon in his hot chocolate, Rumil said, "What about a trip to the King's Kastle? Wait, no, scratch that," he added suddenly. "Last time all of you went up there, you brought back my son, married, with no wife." He tried to glare at Legolas, but it was a half-hearted attempt.

"How was I to know he was going to do that?"

"Because impulsiveness and silliness run in this family," Rumil reminded him.

"Toast, I would like you to meet my special friend, Syrup. Syrup has a cousin named Maple Butter, but she's a little shy. I think she's in town, though, and I'm sure the two of you will hit it off right away. Let me see if she's available," Orophin said, winking to his plate before going to the pantry.

Legolas scratched his head. "It's always so cold here on the beach, or I'd think of doing something out here."

"We have the whole house, it isn't as if we need to go outside," Rumil reminded him.

"True, but Haldir, left to himself, is a true 'wood elf' as the expression goes. He would live in a tree- not on a flet, but in a tree. He delights more in nature than in sitting in a house, no matter how cozy."

Orophin returned to the table, an egg still in his hand and the butter tub in the other. "Here we are. Toast, may I introduce Maple Butter, Maple Butter, Toast. Ah, Mr. Porridge, cooling down a bit, I see." Orophin buttered his toast and then set to devouring his porridge.

"So, both the beach and house are out, which means we will be traveling." Rumil drummed his fingers on the table.

"We?" asked Legolas.

"He was my brother first!" joked Rumil. "Besides, I think this might be good for everyone, to travel just a little bit. Not too far away, though, Celebrian can't go too far, and neither can Nana and the baby. A place we can walk to without much hassle."

Legolas nodded. "You know, your daughter-in-law has some land not very far from here. We could even walk if we wanted, though horse and carriage is best all things considered."

"Oh, my! Toast, you saucy thing, you! Maple Butter has just melted for you, but I was sure she would! I suppose you'd like me to leave the two of you alone for a while, wouldn't you? Well, that's quite alright, I was just about to take Egg out for a stroll around the block and a picnic. Egg's such a good boy, isn't he? Isn't he a good boy?" Orophin rubbed the back of the egg he had picked up again.

"Orophin, that's a wonderful idea," agreed Rumil. "A picnic for a lazy afternoon, we can bring a few amusements to pass the time-"

"Have a campfire- oh, we could even camp there! If Beineilien allows us to," Legolas said with excitement.

"Let's not tell Haldir, let's just make it for everyone," Rumil said. "I'm sure he's not the only one who could use cheering up."

Legolas nodded as the pair left the room.

"Why, Maple Butter, I do declare, you are simply sinful, spreading yourself out on Toast like that. My, my, what a possessive-" Orophin looked up as the door to the kitchen closed. "Ai, where did everyone go?"

- - -

In the end, it was a small party that traveled inland to a strip of land that was between the mountains. The river ran through the middle of it, emptying into the ocean, but the waters here were crisp and clean, and smelled fresh compared to the bite of the salty air on the shore. Though there was a chill, it was warmer than on the beach, so that coats and mittens that the peredhil bundled themselves in were discarded into saddlebags when they approached their destination.

Celebdreth was at the lead, smiling broadly and engaging anyone who asked in conversation about his beloved who lived here. The closer they came, the happier he became, coaxing his horse to go just a bit faster when he could. Rumil, Orophin, Haldir, and Legolas were all in the group, as well as Valarda and Nenniach, Elladan and Elrohir, and Elrond. The rest, for varying reasons, had stayed behind, and although Elrond nearly did not come, it was Celebrian who convinced him this was his last chance to go anywhere before he would be an Ada to an elfling again.

When they came to the Valle Escondido de los Delfines, they were warmly greeted by their hostess, Celebdreth's wife Beineilien. Her preference was to live closer inland, and not on the sea, and so they would spend time together here and again, but neither wished to move, and both were content with this arrangement. She embraced him joyfully after he dismounted, and then toured the others before they set out their lunch on a large blanket near the river's edge.

- - -

"I have had such fun today, haven't you, Halli?" questioned Orophin, leaning back on the cool grass. "I can hardly think of anything to make it any better."

"Should we fill our water skins before we go?" asked Rumil, holding up the empty one that was on the ground beside him. "Beineilien, is the water safe for drinking?" he called to where the ellith had grouped themselves away from the male population after the picnic and the games. The sky was darkening, and inevitably, they would all return, with the exception of perhaps Celebdreth, who had hinted that he might send his horse with the group and walk back in the morning.

"Si, Sa'Adar," she called to him. Rumil waved that he understood and then turned to the rest of the elves. "Listen to that, I have a daughter-in-law!" he said, unable to contain his excitement.

"A daughter-in-law who speaks Southron, but, aye, you do," Haldir answered as Rumil gathered the skins and took them to the edge of the river, along with a pitcher they had been using to fill their cups. He filled the skins quickly, but as he leaned closer to fill the pitcher, he felt he was suddenly being watched. As he turned his head a little to see behind him, he felt a gentle brush against the top of his head a bit like the wind. When he looked back to the water, he nearly shrieked.

"Halli! Oro! There's something in the water!" he shouted, taking a step back. "It's a monster fish and it tried to bite my head!"

A great laughter rose up from the ladies, and most of the group came down to the shore as a great blue-grey creature the size of an elf but shaped as a fish rose up out of the water to stare eye to eye with Rumil. Rumil took a cautious step forward, and made to reach out and retrieve his hat, which had been knocked from his head by the odd water dweller and was now hanging off of its long nose.

"Why do you think I call this Valle Escondido de los Delfines?" Beineilien smirked as she reached the water with the others. Elrond stood a little distance back, eyeing the creature warily.

"Because it's a pretty name?" guessed Rumil, still trying to reach his hat without falling into the water.

"You may not want to get too close, they're very-" Elrond was cut short as the creature suddenly flopped to his side, spraying the crowd with water, and positively soaking Rumil. "-playful," he finished.

"What is it?" demanded Rumil, making another attempt to get his hat, which was now floating on the surface.

Beineilien was removing her shoes as she replied, "It is a delfin, Dolphin in the common."

"And in Sindarin?" prompted Rumil.

"There is no name," replied Beineilien. "They did not exist, and then they did. They are talkers, as we are, not as the other birds and beasts are. They have community, society, but they live in the water. Some have said they are the only thing more beautiful than our own kind, and stories are told of how they are the spirits of the Teleri who were cast from their ships, as none from that bitter battle have been known to walk the halls of Mandos or to have been reborn."

"Really? I have never heard that legend before," said Haldir, wringing out the ends of his sleeves where the most water had hit him.

Beineilien smiled mysteriously. "Some of us do not believe it is a legend," she told him as she approached the edge of the water. "T'iranist," she called out in a musical voice, "please give Rumil his hat back."

A laughing chatter came from the dolphin, and Beineilien smiled. "I'm sorry to tell you, T'iranist rather likes your hat."

"As do I," huffed Rumil.

Beinieilien grinned. "He said you can have it back if you can get it."

Rumil narrowed his eyes at the dolphin. "If I can get it back? I assure you, I most certainly can," he said. "It's just a big dumb fish," he mumbled to himself as he began to wade into the water.

He completely missed the second big dumb fish that came around behind his legs and slapped his tail, knocking Rumil over onto his backside and drenching him completely. "That's it!" Rumil dived down in an attempt to follow the one who had knocked him over, and his brothers were not far behind, but only so that they could get a good view of things.

T'iranist swam back and forth, edging his way closer to the shore. "T'iranist, be nice, they are guests," warned Beineilien. T'iranist swished back and forth in the water, looking a little forlorn at the command.

"Aw, he's so cute," cooed Nenniach. "Too bad we don't have these on the beach at home."

"Look at those big eyes," added Orophin. The dolphin blinked twice at the trio, which included Valarda, before popping up out of the water, propelling himself up and twisting so that his tail faced them. When he hit the water, it sent a spray over all of them.

The twins were laughing hysterically with Legolas at this point, but only until the second dolphin resurfaced, having confused Rumil into coming up for air some fifty feet away from shore. "Watch out!" shouted Elrond in warning, but the twins were too close to the water, and after a moment were hit with a stream spit at them by the playful water nymph.

"Hey!"

"Not fair!"

Legolas continued to laugh, but was cut short as Elladan grabbed one of his arms, Elrohir the other. Seconds later, he was sitting up, sputtering in the shallow part of the river. "Oh, that's it. This is war! Haldir!"

Haldir, who had been making an attempt to stay dry, looked up with a bit of fear. "No, not today," he called out, but that was before Valarda and Nenniach exchanged wicked glances and quite literally pounced their brother-in-law, dragging him into the water.

"Oh, Ivenil!" Beinie shouted to the second dolphin who was dancing up and down in a circle, "Look what you started!"

Ivenil ducked down under the water before jumping in an arc over it. "Everyone!" called out Rumil as he swam closer to shore, "There are others! Under the water! I was swimming with them!" Taking a deep breath, he plunged under again, and it took no further convincing for the rest to join him, save Elrond, who watched the water frolic with amusement as the light in the sky faded and darkness fell over the land.

When the group returned, completely soaked, Elrond laughed at them heartily, especially his sons, who seemed to have tangled themselves in more seaweed than was even in the small river. "No horse in their right mind would let you sit on them now," scolded Elrond. "Best to go in and dry off for the night and start home in the morning."

"But we're expected," said Elladan. "Everyone will worry that we aren't back."

Elrond weighed this. "That is true. I shall ride back tonight then, being quite dry- Orophin, do not even think it," he warned as he caught the young elf trying to sneak up on him. Orophin frowned and slunk away, peeling off his wet tunic as his went. "The rest of you can return in the morning," he suggested.

Tired and too happy to argue, the others filed into the house, laughing and chatting about the adventure they had. Elrond waited until he had bid his sons good night to ready his horse. When the door to the cheerful house Beineilien lived in closed, Elrond mounted without a moment's thought and galloped off under the cover of night, swiftly to the west.
A Father's Love by Zhie
"Where is Elrond?"

No one said a word as the group on the porch glanced around at each other. "He was supposed to come back here," Haldir finally answered.

Galadriel turned to her husband, who had posed the question. "He has not," Celeborn replied simply. "We have tried to reach him with our thoughts, but he blocks them. It is important, for Celebrian is soon to have her child."

"Isn't it too early?" Rumil asked.

"Too early, too late, have we even kept track of time here?" Celeborn shook his head. "This is serious, I do not understand why he hasn't returned, and why he does not want to communicate with us."

Elrohir shifted uneasily, catching the attention of one and all. "He... he said something to me the other day... about going to see Arwen... he said it as if it would be nice to do, but you don't suppose..."

"Haldir, fetch the horses from the wagons. We'll ride to the King's Kastle and get fresh horses there, and then on to the halls." Celeborn looked around as Haldir ran to the carriages to unhitch the four steeds there. "Elladan, Elrohir, you should ride with us."

"We're not leaving our mother," Elladan said firmly, but Elrohir was already bounding off to help Haldir. "I'm not leaving," Elladan said then, the words difficult for him as he watched his brother mount one of the horses. Before protests could be made, he entered the house.

Celebdreth stepped forward. "I will ride with you, if you will allow me. I feel in part responsible, for us having been so close to the halls from where the valley is."

The four rode in haste to the Kastle, where they exchanged their horses and gained a rider. Legolas was ready at the gate with the fresh mounts, sitting atop his own, so that they merely jumped from their tired steeds to those that were waiting for them.

- - -

Elrond, riding an ornery and angry Fool of a Took, the family horse, through the rocky terrain, was not making very good time. In fact, the horse was pausing now and again to snack on grasses that poked up between the stones. "Fine, be stubborn," Elrond finally muttered to the horse. Dismounting, he tied him to a tree and covered the rest of the distance on foot until he reached the mouth of a cave.

The entrance of the tunnel was shadowed by the trees growing around it whose branches hung down from overhead. Within, there was not darkness, nor light, there was nothing. A vast nothingness that was, and was not. Elrond approached it and reached forward with one hand. It appeared open, but his palm felt something of a barrier in the way, even though none could be seen.

"You should not be here. This door is closed to you."

Elrond turned when he heard the voice rumble nearby. His knees nearly gave out as he looked upon a figure, beautiful but dark, with such a serious look in his eyes. Other than that, he was emotionless, and his features gave away nothing of what he was thinking. Shrouded in earthy tones, rich blacks and browns of the soil, and dark greens, there was a crown upon his head, dark as well, like some sort of metal that had been burned.

"My daughter is in there. I know she is, I know you're keeping her from being reborn. Give her another chance, a chance here in Valinor!" pleaded Elrond.

"She is not meant to live here, and even if she were, she would have to will it." Namo looked into the distance where a group of riders approached, unseen and unheard by Elrond. "She does not."

"That is untrue!" Falling to his knees, Elrond reached his hands out towards the Vala. "You cannot know what she does and does not wish! I do! I know what she would want!"

"You are not the first father to tell me that." Again, Namo looked behind Elrond to see the riders closing in, but he did not move. "Go home, Elrond, son of the stars. Your little star has faded. Her path is not yours."

"No!" Elrond cried out in anguish, bowing his head. "Please, take me, I will go in her stead, do not take her! Give her this chance!"

"Elrond!"

The voice the Peredhel heard was not that of Namo, but of Celeborn, who had jumped from his horse and was running to his kneeling son-in-law. Behind him, the others were closing in, Elrohir dropping to the ground beside his father and throwing his arms around him.

"Elrond, you must come home. Celebrian is delivering your child. You should be there," insisted Celeborn, pulling Elrond from the ground with Elrohir's assistance.

As they managed to get Elrond to his feet, Namo began to turn to leave. "Wait!" shouted Elrond. "I've come this far, let us speak with her. Just once. Let her tell me this is what she truly wants!" Namo turned back. "Please. I beg you." Softly, Elrond added, "As a father to a father."

Something caused the Lord of the Halls of Mandos to change his mind then, and bowing his head, he moved his hand, beckoning them back to the entrance. "You may speak to her, but you must trust me that I will tell you truthfully how she answers, for you will not hear her words, Elrond."

Placing his hands up to where the barrier had been, Elrond was surprised to find that there was nothing blocking his way any longer. "Do not enter!" boomed the voice of Namo as Elrond began to move forward. "Speak with her, but do not enter my halls."

"Arwen?" questioned Elrond softly, peering down the long tunnel of nothingness. "My little love, can you hear me? It's... it's Adar, it's your Papa... I miss you. We all miss you," he added. He reached around, grabbing the closest elf. "Your cousin is here, he misses you, too," he said, pulling Celebdreth forward. Celebdreth nodded and Elrond prodded him. "I don't know if she can see you, Celebdreth... tell her about Valinor, tell her how it is here."

"Uhm... it's very... you'd like it, Arwen. It's very nice."

In an exasperated move, Elrond pushed Celebdreth aside gently and yanked Haldir forward by the shoulder. "Tell her," he hissed in Haldir's ear.

"What?" questioned the younger elf, looking around.

"Tell her!" insisted Elrond, moving Haldir in front of him.

"I... " Haldir looked over his shoulder, seeing Legolas standing the furthest away. Something seemed so very wrong with what he was doing, but turning back to address the void, Haldir said, "I love you, Arwen. Please, don't go."

"Cousin, we will miss you so much if you do!" called out Celebdreth, perhaps suddenly realizing just what they were trying to accomplish. "I forgive you for tripping me in the snow, and washing my face in it even though I said I never ever would, and, and I'm sorry for saying you were ugly, because you never were, and switching your lip paint with red ink, and well, for the rest of it, because I never meant it, not any of it, not at all." Taking a deep breath, he added, "Really, honestly, Arwen, I miss you."

Elrond held his breath as what seemed like the faintest bit of light began moving to the entry. A muffled sound behind him caught his attention and he looked to see Celeborn, standing not five fee away, covering his face with one hand as he cried. "What are you doing?" Elrond whispered, stepping before Celeborn and grasping his shoulders. "She's moving toward us, she's reconsidering, I can feel it! You're going to ruin it! You'll ruin everything, everything we're trying to accomplish!" he scolded, shaking the elder's shoulders. Letting go, he looked to Legolas. "Legolas, tell her- Legolas?"

Legolas was inches from the mouth of the cave. He hung his head down shamefully. "Forgive me if you can, Arwen," he said to the confusion of all before walking away.

"Haldir, say something," demanded Elrond, but Haldir's concentration was on Legolas as he walked away.

Rushing back to Celeborn, Elrond grasped his arm. "Celeborn, you fool, help me!" he pleaded. In a low voice, he added, "I did everything to save your daughter, help me save mine!"

Squeezing his eyes shut, Celeborn took a step to the cave entrance. "Arwen, you must follow your own thoughts, follow your heart. You must do what you feel is right."

"Damn you, Celeborn!" Elrond looked frantically around. "Elrohir?"

His son, left unnoticed by the group, had been moving slowly, one step at a time, until he had made it to the arching stone of the tunnel. "My dear, brave sister," he said, and though the rest saw nothing, Elrohir smiled as he embraced something, or someone, in the air. "Yes, I know," he said softly, then paused, listening. "I wanted to. There was..." Elrohir blushed and said, "Yes, she was very pretty. No, of course not as pretty as you."

There was another pause and Elrohir smiled, recalling something from days long past. "Like lightening." Another pause followed, and he answered, "Because I didn't want you telling Elladan." Pause. "Yes, you would have." Long pause. "What do I think?" Pause. "I think you're lucky. He loves you." Pause. "I will, don't worry," he said, glancing back at Elrond. "Yes, I will. I promise. Just a moment." Motioning with his hand to his father, he moved over a little as Elrond approached.

"How?" asked Elrond of Elrohir.

"They share the same blood," answered Namo for them. "She can speak with her brothers, but with no one else."

"She says she loves you, and not to worry. She will be fine. She must go now, and rest before her journey, but there is someone who wishes to speak with you," explained Elrohir.

Elrond looked around the emptiness in question until something appeared to him in the void. If someone would have asked, he would have sworn it was a mirror that he was looking into as he reached out to touch the soul that approached him. "Brother," he whispered. His eyes closed as he listened to the words spoken to him. "Yes, he does look like you. Elladan takes after me, but Elrohir- we named him after you- he has your eyes, one can easily see that."

For some time, Elrond stood at the mouth of the cave, answering questions, asking questions, and touching something no other could see, until the stars lit the sky and finally Elrond turned from the cave, looking to be at peace.

"She wants to be with Estel," Elrond said softly, giving Haldir's shoulder an apologetic squeeze. "She is happy. And, she is in good company. I know Elros will take care of her until she makes her final journey."

- - -

"I should kick all of your asses for this," scolded Orophin. "I'm going to start with yours," he said to Elrond, "and then move to you," he added, waving a finger at his father, "and then all the rest of you all at once, just because I know you deserve it!"

"What now, Oro?" asked Haldir, looking very tired and not in the mood for his brother's banter.

"Sure. Leave me here with Rumil 'I'm afraid of things that are bleeding' Celebornion and Elladan 'I don't birth babies' Elrondion and a group of ellith who can do not much more than curse the fact that the healer and father are not here. That's right, just go off and leave me here to deliver the baby. Thank you ever so. Now line up, I want to get this over with so I can take my boots off," he said, rolling up his bloodied sleeves.

Leaping off of his horse, Elrond grabbed the stunned Orophin by the shoulders. "What is it? What is it?"

"It's an elfling! What were you expecting? Kittens?"

"No! Boy or girl?" demanded Elrond as Valarda came to join them on the porch.

"It's a girl. A girl, and she'd like a name, Ada Elrond," said the elleth.

"It's a girl!" Elrond hugged Orophin tightly, knocking the wind out of him. "It's a girl," he announced again as he let go of Orophin and ran up the stairs into the house.

Sliding less gracefully than usual off of his mount, Haldir put an arm around Orophin's shoulder. "For someone upset about having to deliver a baby, you look awfully pleased with yourself."

"None of the rest of them could get over the fact she was their mother, sister, in-law, daughter," he said, ticking each of these off of his fingers. "I just told her, 'you push it out, I'll catch it'." After being punched in the shoulder, Orophin said, "Honestly, it was beautiful and marvelous and absolutely disgusting. I'm never having elflings. Make a note of that."

"Noted," said Haldir. "Though, I think physically, it's impossible."

"True," said Orophin. "I have very narrow hips. Have to think of my figure, you know." Beside him, Valarda was tapping her foot. "Oh, and our current living situation," he added as Valarda narrowed her eyes. "Not to mention, the smell... and the mess... " Before he could continue, Valarda pulled her husband back inside by the ear.

"I already have one elfling," they could hear her say, "I don't need another."
On the Horizon by Zhie
Deep notes happily danced through the air to frolic against the splash of the waves, while above them a high-pitched mournful tune drew itself out across the bass. It did not attempt to overpower the happiness, but the sadness of the high melody suffocated the harmony until at last Legolas threw his clarinet into the sand. Haldir abruptly stopped playing and withdrew the flute from his lips. “What?”

“I thought you invited me out here to play music,” huffed Legolas angrily.

“Isn’t that what we were doing?”

“It is what I was doing.” Legolas quickly picked up the instrument and inspected it in the fading light of the sunset as he brushed the stray grains of sand from it. “But you are weeping my friend, and I cannot concentrate.”

“Weeping, Legolas? My eyes are dry,” countered Haldir, sliding his fingers along the ancient wooden flute, tracing the elvish characters down the side.

Legolas scooted to the edge of the log he was on to join Haldir on the sandy ground. “You do not think you can be honest with them.” He nodded his head in the direction of the First Homely House of Valinor in the distance, far enough away so that those resting in the house did not hear the duet. “Not completely. You fear that they would judge you, that they would not understand. I know what you tell them, and I know what you don’t tell them. Has it not always been this way with us?”

Haldir turned his flute in his hands, saying nothing. His eyes stung, and as he blinked, a stray drop fell and hit the sand, seeping into the ground and marking it.

Legolas placed his arm around Haldir’s shoulder and slipped the flute from the other elf, setting it onto the log. “I truly doubt any of them would think less of you, but confide in me, for I will never tell a soul what thoughts trouble your heart.”

Everything he swore he would never quite say was said, all the dark secrets that had been kept hidden for centuries. The love he had for Arwen, the constant hope he had that she would come to him. Grief, when he found her heart would never be his. Hope once more, that she might come to the west instead of fade. Helplessness, finding he had no power over such things. There were other things Haldir admitted in the darkness, his head bowed first in sorrow, then resting on the shoulder of his friend as he cried.

“There will come a time when this burden you carry is lifted, and your heart is at peace,” Legolas assured him.

“You can’t know that,” Haldir sighed, leaning against the other elf.

Legolas placed his cheek on the top of Haldir’s head and closed his eyes. “No, I can’t, but I feel it will happen. I do not think such a child of the Valar was ever meant to suffer as you have. There is someone who loves you, of that I am sure. I can only hope one day you will love them in return.”

“How can my heart ever again feel whole?” he wondered. “So long I pushed my thoughts aside, until it became too late for them. And now I grieve."

“Why do you grieve?” asked Legolas in confusion.

“Because, Legolas,” whispered Haldir, “Arwen is dead.” He swallowed hard, shaking at this admission. “She is dead,” he repeated, as if he was trying to convince himself.

“Nay, Haldir, she is not dead. She is just sleeping until the time when Eru will call us together for the next verse of his song. One day, Haldir, one day you will see her again,” Legolas assured him.

“She will never be mine,” Haldir whispered.

“No,” agreed Legolas softly. “But was she ever meant to be?” Sighing, Legolas looked across the sea as a pale moon was rising, and then leaned forward to look again.

Sitting up, Haldir tried to find what Legolas had suddenly become interested in. “What can you see on the horizon?” questioned Haldir, looking more intently over the water.

“A light on the water...” he said, and then nearly jumping up, shouted, “A ship! A grey ship passes!” He ran toward the surf, and even through the surge of water continued to run toward the swiftly moving vessel. “It is the ship that carries Lord Glorfindel and Master Erestor! At last, they have come into the west!” he shouted.

Clearing the remaining thoughts of sorrow from his head for now, Haldir smiled and picked up their instruments. “I shall alert the household,” he called as he jogged in the direction of the house.

- - -

It was still over an hour before the ship was close enough to shore so that the anchor could be dropped. Although initially everyone came outside when Haldir alerted them, most returned in from the cold night air to wait until the ship came closer. Only Haldir, Legolas, and Celebdreth remained, watching in silence as the ship inched closer and closer. The vessel moved slowly and was low in the water – likely, as had been predicted, Erestor had brought nearly every last book in Imladris with them. He was standing now at an opening at the bow of the ship, sliding a long plank out the front that would be used to create a makeshift dock of sorts. Ropes were thrown to shore and the ship was secured before the few who were on the vessel stepped onto the beach.

“Where is everyone?” questioned Celebdreth.

“I was about to ask the same,” Erestor said, embracing his grandson. “How bad is Valinor?”

Celebdreth grinned. “I’m glad now that I came. I know I was hesitant, but you were right. I have things to tell you, many wonderful things. Everything is just fine here, and everyone came as you said they would.”

Hugging him once again, he said apologetically, “Not everyone, pen-neth. Forgive me, but there are some who are destined to stay.”

“Not Glorfindel!” Celebdreth looked as if he might burst into tears, and it was lucky that the golden-haired warrior chose that moment to step down the makeshift dock.

“Not Glorfindel!” shouted Glorfindel himself. “The last time I was here, they would not even allow me a day! I plan never to leave these shores again!” Behind him, carefully minding his way, was Asfaloth.

“Glorfindel!” Celebdreth looked upon the white horse and asked, “That isn’t the same one you’ve had all this time, is it?”

“Aye,” responded Glorfindel as Asfaloth gently stepped onto the sand. He rubbed the horse’s neck affectionately and said in a soft voice, “See, now, I brought you home. Back to your master, I’m sure he’s here somewhere.” He removed the blanket from the horse’s back and smiled sadly. “You’ve been a good companion, Nahar.” Nahar brushed his head against Glorfindel’s shoulder. “Go on, before I cry. Shoo, go on, I’m sure he’s expecting you.”

Instead of leaving, Nahar followed Glorfindel as others slowly trickled out of the doors of the house. When Celebrian approached, holding a tiny golden-haired elfling in her arms, the babe was taken by Glorfindel and passed to Celebdreth before the warrior took hold of Celebrian by her waist and spun her around and around until she complained she was dizzy though she laughed and kissed Glorfindel’s cheek once she was on solid ground again. “It is so very good to see you again, my lady,” replied Glorfindel as he bowed to her with tears in his aqua eyes.

“Likewise, Glorfindel. You have been missed by all.” She then went to Erestor and threw her arms around his neck. “And, you, Erestor. We hoped we might see you both walk one day upon these shores.”

“Today is that day!” he said happily. “You’re all stuck with me now,” he merrily laughed as none had heard him before. Nenniach stepped toward them, carrying a small elfling with dark hair. “Lady Nenniach!” Glorfindel embraced her best he could without jostling her small charge. “A little sister for Celebdreth?”

“Nay, a little sister for the twins,” she said, handing the bundle to Celebrian.

“My lady,” Glorfindel said, grinning widely, so joyful at the reunions and new meetings he looked as if he might burst. “Celebrian, dear lady, she is a beautiful one.” He snapped his fingers as if suddenly remembering something. “I have someone to introduce to you,” he said, looking back at the ship. At the end of the dock stood an elf with dark hair, and behind him, an elleth with strands of silver in her dark mane.

“Melpomaen,” called out Celebrian to the elf she knew.

“Aye, it is me,” replied the small hesitant voice. “I am here.”

“Well, come here, then,” giggled Celebrian, extending one hand toward him and holding the elfling with the other arm. “What a wonderful surprise to see you here, to have you finally home,” she said, putting an arm around him and giving him a bit of a hug.

“Yes, thank you,” he replied meekly, looking around with a slightly terrified look.

“Lady Celebrian,” announced Glorfindel, leading the elleth over, “May I present to you the Lady Elodien, your youngest granddaughter.”

“Elodien. I’ve heard your name before.” Celebrian handed the sleeping elfling to a wide-eyed Melpomaen before taking hold of her granddaughter’s hands. “You have made the choice to come and live with us here, in the undying lands. That takes great courage.”

“I’m very excited to be here,” answered Elodien.

“Elodien?”

Turning to look around Glorfindel, the elleth spied a familiar looking elf. “Haldir! My word, how wonderful to see you again! Last time, I had to be no higher than your knee,” she said, giving her grandmother’s hands a squeeze before moving to the elf. “I recall the lessons you gave to my brother and sisters and I, the fun we had on picnics during the spring.”

“And now you’re all grown,” commented Haldir. “All grown up into a beautiful young elleth.”

Rolling her eyes, she said, “Young. I’m old and grey is what I am,” she said, tucking the silver that streaked her dark hairs on either side of her head behind her ears.

“Old and grey?” Haldir laughed. “Listen to her, Legolas. Old and grey, and she’s barely a hundred, if my count is right,” he said. When he was given no response, he looked to see that Legolas had walked off toward the house. “Legolas?”

“He’s probably retrieving the others,” said Erestor. “I’ll see if I can’t help him rouse the rest of the household.” Erestor followed Legolas, nearly catching up to him as the door of house opened and a tall figure stepped out. Erestor stopped in his tracks, Celebrian smiled and gave a wave, and Melpomaen shrank back behind Glorfindel as Legolas dodged through the door. The lord of the house stepped out into the starlight and took a long look around.

Elrond flew from the porch faster than anyone had seen him run in quite a long time. Stopping before Erestor, he paused for a moment, perhaps deciding if he was standing before a mirage, and then pulled him into a close embrace that Erestor gladly accepted. When Elrond released him, he took hold of Erestor’s arm and said, “I apologize for leaving the burden of Imladris in your hands.”

“It was no burden,” Erestor assured him. “It was... enjoyable. Quite enjoyable. It is still standing, last of the Elven Realms, save Ithilien. You will forgive my not staying longer to see which of the two would outlast the other.”

Elrond smiled. “It would be a shame not to have a mystery or two to think about.”

“Ithilien remains in the capable hands of the few elves of Greenwood and East Lorien who have chosen to stay and dwell there. Elrond, you will be pleased to know that Lord Saelbeth keeps your house and realm guarded; it serves as a final sanctuary for our kin, and is now hidden far better than Gondolin and Doriath could ever have hoped to be.”

“Thank you for taking care of it for me,” said Elrond. “I am glad you have finally come to Valinor. Is it not paradise?”

Erestor took hold of Elrond’s hands in his and squeezed them. “Aye, it is,” he said as Orophin came out of the house, waving and bounding over to his old tutor. Valarda laughed as she followed, shaking her head as she approached as well.

Something caught Elrond’s eye and he looked down at Erestor’s hands. Missing were the jeweled rings he wore while in service to Rivendell, even the faux Vilya that he had once worn if ever the need came for him to pretend to have been the Lord of Imladris. Replacing all these was a simple golden band, and Elrond looked up once more at Erestor. “You’re married?”

Erestor glanced behind him and smiled as the others he had shared the ship with talked with Haldir and Rumil. “As I said, remaining in Imladris was no burden.”

“Why, Erestor!” Orophin waggled his brows. “You sly dog, you,” he teased. “Keeping her hidden away – clever, but now I’m going to tell her all about you,” he said gleefully. Valarda smacked his shoulder and shook her head, but was grinning as well.

Elrond smiled slyly and patted Erestor’s shoulder as the recently arrived elf bit his lip and turned around completely. Elrond glared at Orophin, and then put his arm around Erestor. “I can understand how your time would have been quite enjoyable. ‘Tis about time the Valar blessed you with someone. Tell me, who is she?” he asked, nodding toward the elleth with the silver and ebon hair.

Behind them, Legolas had emerged, but now began to edge backwards toward the house once more.

“To answer your question,” Erestor said slowly, “she is your granddaughter. Her name is Elodien,” he added, and to the look Elrond gave him, he said, “However, she’s not my wife.”

“But who then? She did come, did she not?” Elrond looked back to the small party in confusion. “You said there were only four on this vessel – is there another ship?”

“No, my lord.”

Orophin tilted his head as he looked at the other passengers. “Don’t tell me you married the horse,” he said, watching Asfaloth/Nahar paw at the sand impatiently. He was glared at by both elflords and his wife. “I mean, I know you like horses, but-“

At that moment, the fairest of the elves who had stepped from the boat looked in the direction of the few up further on the beach and grinned at Erestor before accepting the small dark-haired bundle that Celebrian handed him. Erestor smiled softly in turn at Glorfindel. Elrond’s eyes widened, Valarda’s jaw dropped, and Orophin nearly passed out.

“No! It cannot be!” His mouth was gaping and he pointed from one to the other in disbelief. Suddenly he straightened and folded his arms before himself. “It’s a trick. It’s all a game,” he reasoned. “Never happen. It’s foolish.” Orophin didn’t seem as convinced as he sounded, though, and Elrond had yet to say anything as Galadriel and Celeborn came from the house. Celebdreth approached and placed the golden-curled elfling into Galadriel’s arms before running back to speak once more to Melpomaen, who continuously stole glances at Elrond.

“Oh...” Erestor gently touched the cheek of the tiny baby and smiled softly when her eyes fluttered open. “She’s gorgeous. Obviously takes after her mother,” he complimented.

“Would you like to hold her?” offered Galadriel. Knowing the answer, she placed the child in Erestor’s arms. “Celeborn named her Tallasinde.”

“Beautiful. Born in the autumn, then?” asked Erestor, cradling her against his chest.

Galadriel nodded as Celeborn put his arm around her and pulled her close. “Haldir had another name for her, but it was terribly long and we feared none of us would remember it.”

Erestor chuckled as he slowly rocked the elfling when she looked as if she might cry, shifting his weight to either foot to simulate the movement of a cradle. “It’s remarkable to find all of you here in the same place, and yet, just the one house, unless I am mistaken.”

“The First Homely House of Valinor,” Orophin said proudly, patting Elrond – who still hadn’t said a thing or even moved – on the back. “The inland is heavily populated, and for those of us who have spent so long surrounded by so many others, this cozy home suits us well. Elrond anticipated your arrival, in fact, and had rooms built for you, and for Glorfindel.”

“We wouldn’t want to be a burden,” Erestor said, looking at Elrond worriedly.

“Nonsense,” replied Galadriel. “It would be wonderful having you here. We’ve missed you. ‘Tis good to have you home.”

Erestor did not make eye contact with Galadriel as he handed Tallasinde back to her. “I perhaps do not think it would be a good idea. We have plenty of room on the ship. Our plan had been to find a suitable place to dock it and live aboard the vessel. In all honesty, we discussed going to Tol Eressea and living there.”

“Tol Eressea is uninhabited,” Celeborn said with a frown. “How would you get food or supplies? No ships travel there anymore.”

“It sounds perfect, then,” Erestor said decidedly. “As for our needs, I might be out of practice, but I’d wager I’m still a decent farmer.”

“Ah, then you’ll be competition,” winked Celeborn.

Erestor smirked. “How’s that?”

“Oh, haven’t you guessed, then? That’s what we do here. There’s corn mostly, among other things, and we supply maple syrup late in the year.”

“Do you?” Erestor shifted his gaze to Galadriel, who was now concentrating on looking down at the baby. “What is it you do, if I might inquire?”

After a lengthy pause, she looked up and answered, “I suppose I’m just the farmer’s wife.”

“Ah. A noble role,” Erestor said as he felt a hand upon his shoulder. His eyes held hers for a brief moment, then he smiled as he turned and was handed a different bundled elfling.

“You won’t believe what they’ve named her, Ress, it’s so darling,” exclaimed Glorfindel. “She’s Vilya, but not for the ring exactly. In honor of Ereinion is why. Is she not sweet?”

“Aye, she is,” smiled Erestor, stroking the cooing elfling’s cheek.

Glorfindel grinned and ticked the baby’s chin with his fingers. “I’m being forced into the house against my will to see something. I shall return when I am able, or you might think to join me,” he said, kissing Erestor on the cheek before looking at the elfling once more. “Elrond, she has your eyes!” he added, but received no response before following the twins into the house.

Quite a lengthy awkward silence followed as pairs and small groups wandered back to the house, with promises of cocoa in the parlor, and baked apples and jam. It was when Erestor and Elrond remained on the beach, with Haldir near his log staring out across the sea that the lord of the house finally spoke.

“You should... stay here for the night at least,” he said. “It’s bitterly cold, and everyone will want to see you anyway.”

Erestor hesitated as Glorfindel came back outside. “Ress, you have to come and see the inside! They have a flamingo! I always wanted a flamingo!” To this, Erestor and Elrond could not help but chuckle.

“I should see to having the beds turned down and the linens refreshed, as we were not expecting you quite at this time,” apologized Elrond. “I look forward to speaking to you both in a short while,” he said, walking to the house. As he reached Glorfindel, he smiled warmly and embraced him. “Welcome home.”

“Thank you, Elrond,” he replied. “It is so very good to see you all again.”

The Peredhel nodded and walked up the stairs and into the house, leaving the door ajar just a crack. Glorfindel slipped his arm around Erestor’s waist when he finally stood next to him. “That didn’t go so terribly bad, did it?”

Erestor shook his head. “No. Yes, and no. But a little, yes, but... no one ran off screaming, that has to be a good sign,” he said hopefully. He weaved his arm around Glorfindel’s back and began to walk toward the sea where Haldir stood. “I promised a good friend of mine that I would introduce you to him when I reached these shores,” he said when he and Glorfindel were close enough for Haldir to hear them.

Turning, Haldir had a playful smile on his lips. “Living for thousands of years in the same house with someone, knowing them for millennia, and suddenly finding out one day that you’ve been bonded without knowledge or consent since the beginning of the Third Age. I should have guessed who it was.”

“Oh, but then this wouldn’t be necessary,” Erestor said nervously. Clearing his throat, he stood up straight and said, “Haldir, I’d like you to meet my husband, Lord Glorfindel of the House of the Golden Flower.”

“The stranger part of this is,” said Haldir as he and Glorfindel mockingly shook the hand of the other, “is that Glorfindel is cousin by birth and blood to me, while you, Erestor, are related only through having adopted my sister-in-law. It should be Glorfindel who is introducing you.”

“Well, now, in that case,” Glorfindel said, letting go of Haldir’s hand, “allow me to present, dear Cousin Haldir, my most beloved and beautiful husband, chief of the House of the Silver Stars, Lord Erestor.” He kissed the burning cheek of his husband.

“Stop that,” admonished Erestor, trying to hide his flushed face. “Come, we should go inside before they send a search party to find us.”

“Excellent idea. Haldir, it was nice meeting you,” joked Glorfindel as they walked to the house.

“Likewise,” called out Haldir as he watched the pair walk to the door and the lighted windows along the porch. Glorfindel leaned a few times over to say something in confidence to Erestor, who returned the comments with smiles or playful punches. Haldir gazed out over the sea. “Erestor and Glorfindel,” he said to himself, trying to decide exactly what he thought of it. “Perhaps there is hope for me yet.”
Flute & Fiddle by Zhie
"I can't tell you how refreshing it is to have a kindred spirit here in the house with me," said Valarda. She was lounging back on the bed in Elodien's new rooms, staring at the ceiling. Elodien was propped up on the other end, flipping through a book of illustrations Rumil had loaned her, and she smiled to the red-head just as Nenniach entered the room from the hall.

"Which would you like in your closet?" she asked, holding up three different colored satchels of dried flowers and spices.

"Um, whichever," replied Elodien. The netted bags were brought forward under her nose.

"No, you have to smell them first!" insisted Nenniach. Behind her, Valarda lifted her head and rolled her eyes for only Elodien to see as the Peredhel began to test each of the scents.

"Vanilla is fine," she replied after trying them all, and twice, as Nenniach insisted. The elleth nodded and went off to continue her work, making the room 'fit for a lady', as she had informed Elodien. Elodien had not the heart to tell her she would likely remove the bowls of potpourri later, after Nenniach had left.

Valarda seemed to have read these thoughts and started to giggle, covering her mouth and tilting her head back out of Nenniach's view when the elder elleth walked past again to fetch fresh curtains.

"So, what did you do in Middle-earth?" asked Elodien, having found a rather detailed picture of Valarda, dressed in black and grey, and brandishing a rather well-crafted blade. Her piercing green eyes drew one in to the drawing, and the care of the artist's hand kept one viewing it far longer.

"I was Captain of the Galadhrim in East Lorien and Commander when we lived in the Golden Woods while Haldir led us. Married his little brother, of course you know that, fought in a few wars before any of that happened, but again, it's history, and practically myth." She glanced up, seeing Elodien's confused look. "In the time Haldir lived in Gondor, he never mentioned his sister-in-law, jester, prankster, bane of his being?"

"No," admitted Elodien as she turned the page. "Haldir never much mentioned his family. What was it like working with him?"

Returning to her sprawling position, Valarda answered, "A challenge. He was very mature - I blame Elrond for that, and yet, I don't think he and his brothers quite 'grew up'. Or, they regressed when together. And it seemed like he always felt he had to impress everyone."

"Hmm. Reminds me of my brother Eldarion. He would always aim to break in the wildest horses, to hunt the biggest buck, to court the prettiest women. I think he felt he had to live up to what our father had accomplished, but he himself never thought he did enough. Something like that?"

"Yes, something like that. I don't think anyone's ever sat him down and said, 'Haldir, just do what you want to do.'" Valarda wagged her finger up toward the sky in a scolding manner as she spoke. "The only thing I can think of that he does for himself is play his flute."

"He plays flute? I never knew! I play, too! Well, not flute- I play fiddle." The young lady ran to the large cedar trunk and flung the top up on it. After rummaging through it, she pulled out a leather case, and from it produced a richly carved violin and bow, along with a hunk of rosin wrapped in cloth. Valarda had noiselessly joined her and was peering curiously at the instrument. "Isn't it lovely? Made in Rohan."

"It is lovely," whispered Valarda as Nenniach reentered the room. Creeping up behind them, the elder whistled appreciatively.

"My word," said Nenniach as she reached around Valarda. But as she lowered herself beside the pair, her hand found its way not to the fiddle, but to some golden garment in the chest.

Watching as Nenniach began to pull the item up, Elodien made a grab for it and tugged it away. "Oh, I didn't realize I still had that," she apologized.

"I want to see!" insisted Valarda.

"It's rather embarrassing," Elodien blushed, shoving it further down into the chest.

"Then I really want to see!" squealed Valarda, bouncing from where she was knelt. She tugged on Nenniach's arm to try to get her to bounce too, but instead the dark haired elleth tilted her chin down and pouted a little, widening her now sad-eyes.

Sighing in defeat, Elodien held up the outfit, which was a rather revealing one. A multitude of tiny beads made up much of it, hanging off in short strands from the sheer material that covered the arms. There were more beads that hung from the skirt, and from the shimmery fabric that only just adequately covered the wearer's breasts. As Elodien stood and held it up to herself, the skirt showed a slit up either side, and that quite a lot of skin would remain seen.

"Impressive," Valarda finally said, fingering the hem of the skirt. "Where did it come from? Surely not Rohan."

"Harad," replied Elodien, placing it back into the wooden box.

"Oh, do tell!" exclaimed Nenniach, settling on the floor in expectation of a story.

Elodien shook her head. "In Harad, they have a saying. What happens in Harad, stays in Harad."

"The less I hear about it, the more I want to know! Does everyone in Harad-"

"Oh, no," Elodien assured the waggling brows of Nenniach. "This is just for dancing."

"Pity. It's so beautiful. I'd wear it more than just for dancing," Valarda said wistfully. "I wonder how much time went into making it."

"If you think this one is pretty, you should see the costume Glorfindel has - and Erestor's! His is... I mean..." Elodien shut the trunk, ignoring the raised brows from the other two ladies. "What I mean is, Harad was quite nice." She locked the chest for good measure.

- - - -

"So, Erestor, I hear you learned to dance in Harad," remarked Orophin as their neighbors entered the kitchen.

Erestor's first reaction was to stop completely, then to blink, and then to blush. "Fin!" he protested, turning on his heal to look at his husband.

"What?" He slid an arm protectively around Erestor's waist and tucked him close to his side. There were curious looks as Erestor seemed to reflexively wrap his arms around his protector and place his head upon Glorfindel's shoulder. "Lies, all lies," spoke Glorfindel, patting Erestor's back. "He knew how to dance like that before we went to Harad." Glorfindel was rewarded with a slap across the upper arm and a loss of his companion, who retreated to a chair at the window, grumbling as he went.

"How to dance like what?" wondered Celebrian aloud as Erestor settled in his seat. She was so caught in her thoughts that she caused the coffee she was pouring to spill over the side of her cup for a moment.

Orophin shrugged. "I don't know, but now I want to!" He leaned toward his sister. "Valarda said that Elodien had this costume and-"

"Elodien, how exciting!" Celebrian said gleefully. "We should have a Harad Night. Elodien can play her fiddle, and we can have food, and drink, and- Orophin, what's wrong?"

Looking up from where he had buried his face into his arms, he whispered, "You missed you cue. You don't know about Harad or the fiddle yet."

Erestor rolled his eyes in exasperation as the siblings began again, while Glorfindel chuckled and slid into the seat next to him.

"Dear sister, I thought I would tell you, since we would never go around the house gossiping and plotting things, especially not behind the backs of others, that Valarda told me in passing of a beautiful costume that Elodien had obtained in Harad."

"What kind of costume, dear brother?" asked Celebrian as if most interested and completely unknowing of the answer.

"Why, a costume to dance in, and she knows how to use it! Also, there is talk that two other elves, being Erestor and Glorfindel, also have costumes similar, and that Elodien plays the fiddle," he said, enunciating each word to perfection.

Clasping her hands together in delight, Celebrian said, "How marvelous! We shall have a Harad Night! Elodien can play her fiddle, and we can have food, and drink, and music, and the three of you can dress for it," she said, looking at the less than enthusiastic Erestor, to the grinning Glorfindel besides him, and then to the mortified Elodien, who was standing near the door, having only just entered moments before.

"Can't," said Erestor. "I burned mine." As Glorfindel began to open his mouth, Erestor covered it firmly with his hand. "Tragic accident. Travesty, utter travesty. But, Glorfindel still has his, and he'd love to dance for everyone, isn't that right?"

Pulling Erestor's hand from his mouth, Glorfindel replied, "You actually don't need a costume, you can just-"

"See? He just can't wait!" said Erestor, using both hands this time.

Orophin's focus was on Glorfindel. "Whatever it is he needs, I will get it. Lots of it. Just tell me what it is!"

"Oh, leave him alone, he's shy," scolded Celebrian. "Besides, you promised to help me pull this off, Orophin." She managed to pull her brother out of his seat just as Elodien gained enough control to close her gaping mouth, and the siblings rushed out of the room, erupting into laughter once they were out of the door.

Elodien took a step back from the withering look Erestor shot at her. "At least I didn't say anything about what you did to your hair or about Glorfindel's tattoo," she said.

The kitchen door swung back open. "Glorfindel?" questioned Celebrian.

"Tattoo?" added Orophin, throwing a questioning glance at the golden haired elf before he and his sister ducked back out of the room. "Ladies and Ellon, place your bets, on where and what it could ever be," came his voice as it disappeared down the hallway.

"I'll... I think I'm going to just... bye," offered Elodien, exiting the room quickly.

- - - -

Haldir lowered his flute as the shadow of a tall elf fell over the log he sat upon. "It's good to have you here."

"It's good to be here," said Erestor, breathing deeply of the crisp sea air. "The last time I stood here... well... the company wasn't this pleasant," he finished, and left it at that. "It's good to find you're still playing."

"Ah, yes. I suppose. It keeps me busy," said Haldir as he fingered the slender wooden instrument.

"I was rather hoping you still enjoyed it." From behind his back, Erestor brought forth a long package tied with a blue ribbon. "I picked it up in Harad for you, I tried to bring a little something of, well, this is home, but Middle-earth is still home, too," he said as he handed the gift to Haldir.

Setting his flute upon his lap, Haldir untied the bow and let the paper fall from the object, an instrument not unlike his flute, but not simply straight, for it bulged here and again there and looked to be almost white as snow with a unique shine.

"They make them from the tusks of the Mumakils. You should see how they charm serpents into dancing with them, and the beautiful dances they perform."

"Erestor, this is beyond words. Thank you." Lifting the flute, Haldir experimented with a few notes, testing the sound. It was exotic, raspier and richer than the light and airy sounds his old worn flute made.

"You are a natural," complimented Erestor as Haldir began to play a slow yet exciting tune that sounded as if it would have come from a passing caravan in the east.

"You know," said Haldir as he took the flute and held it out to look at it again, tracing the carved images of the men who lived in their tents, of the camels and other beasts native to the arid land, "I traveled all over the world, but I never managed to make it to Harad. I wish I could have seen it."

- - - -

"And he told you that they were going to plan the entire thing?" asked Elrond, a look of slight disbelief on his face.

Celebrian nodded, peeking out of the curtain to see if the sun had gone down yet. "Glorfindel said they wanted to make it all a surprise, Elodien said that it was so that it would be authentic."

"And Erestor?"

Smiling wryly, Celebrian replied, "He said they'd better just do it so that we didn't mess it all up."

"That I believe," Elrond said. "If nothing else, at least Haldir has learned a few new songs this week. Much less dreary than his usual repertoire."

"Glorfindel is going to dance for us."

Elrond considered this bit of information and said to his wife, "I am having second thoughts."

"No time for that, it is sundown!" Celebrian ushered her husband toward the door, where the rest of the household was racing to exit as well. As they squeezed out of the doorway, they found that the beach did not look as familiar as it had the day before. Where once a vast open shore was spread before them, fires encircled by large stones had been lit and small tents dotted the sand. There was one rather large one directly in their path, and it was the only one with the flap drawn back.

As Elrond and Celebrian led the group to the tent, Celeborn said, "They could not have done this alone, the three of them." That was when a tall figure halted them by stepping suddenly in the dimly lit doorway.

"Lords and ladies from lands distant, friends, guests, family, kin, we welcome you to our humble homes." They were bowed to, and in turn, the entire group bowed back. "Please, enter now the tent of Prince Balaji, sultan of the east."

"We're not in Valinor anymore, Beinie," joked Celebdreth as he and his wife followed the procession into the tent.

Galadriel shook her head at the elf at the door as she passed by. "My, my, Thranduil, I didn't know you were such an actor."

"Please, my lady, I am Sagar, royal vizier to his majesty. Do I know you? Your face is familiar - did you spend time in his majesty's harem?" Thranduil hid his smirk as Galadriel blushed and was whisked inside by her husband.

Once assembled inside, they were introduced to Samudra (Cirdan) and his wife Anjali (Nenua), the dancer Anuradha (Elodien), and Kanak, whose long and loose golden main could not hide his identity. He sat on the ground, while the others were lounging around the edges of the tent upon cushions piled high, leaving the center open. Everyone was directed to spaces near the entryway, or along the opposite side, or in what must have been the back, but the front, save for Kanak, sitting upon the floor, eyes cast down submissively, was cleared.

Just as the tension of the silence within the tent threatened to cause one of the guests to speak, the flap of the tent was thrown back, and into the dim light of the candles that flickered walked a godlike vision of darkness that brought a shiver to even the boldest of the elves there. Like the other male 'Haradhrim', he wore no shirt, nothing resembling a tunic, but unlike Cirdan, Thranduil, and Glorfindel, he had on a richly embroidered vest, deep violet blue in color and stitched with threads of gold and copper, and pants of a deeper blue, a coppery colored sash tied around his waist. The loose ends, instead of being hidden away somewhere as was elven fashion, hung at his side.

"Prince Balaji," announced Sagar, and he bowed his head, touching the tips of his fingers to his forehead. Some of the others did the same, some merely stared. As Erestor made his way through the tent, saying nothing and looking at no one, Kanak rose up and went about some unnoticed task as the whispers shuffled through the tent.

"Did you see his eyes?" hissed Rumil to Nenniach. "They're, huge, with that dark paint around them."

"That's my father," she hissed back, slapping his knee, but her focus remained upon the mysterious looking 'sultan'.

"Bet you wish you hadn't given that up now," whispered Sagar to Galadriel as he sat back down next to her. Celeborn shot him a nasty look.

Orophin nudged Haldir's side. "That's not permanent, is it?" he wondered, nodding toward the intricate patterns on Erestor's skin. They were reddish brown, swirling around his arms, peeking around the sides of his neck, and who knew where else.

"I can't believe that's my chief counselor," muttered Elrond as Erestor came to rest upon the freshly fluffed pillows.

"His hair is gorgeous," answered Celebrian, and it was true. Left unbraided, it was adorned here and there in some incomprehensible pattern of beads that caught every flicker of light.

As soon as he was settled, the murmurs stopped, and the 'prince' took a look around the hushed room, meeting the eyes of every individual there until at last there was only one he had yet to look upon. Instead, he brought his hands up and clapped them together twice rather loudly, and Kanak appeared at his side not a second later. "The wine," he said in his low melodic voice, and everyone quickly found themselves in possession of a large goblet of dark red liquid. Erestor was the last to receive his, and only after Glorfindel himself tasted it and handed it to him, head still bowed.

"Anuradha." Erestor regarded the Peredhel as she stood and bowed her head. "Assemble your troop." She bowed her head again and left the tent swiftly. "Kanak, mind your instrument."

Glorfindel rose and produced a long stringed object with scrolling patterns on the wood. Setting it across his lap, he began to pull at the strings with one hand as the other danced over the frets, filling the air with music that reverberated off of itself. The sound was blurred and coarse, yet perfectly erotic, like the buzz of hummingbird wings slowly to a sensual tempo. Erestor settled back against his cushions, clapping his hands together briskly.

Into the tent danced Elodien, who was veiled now and adorned with many shimmering bracelets about her wrists and ankles, followed by three other young maidens dressed likewise. While it was Elodien who was the true artist, moving around the room in rhythm to the tune that Glorfindel played, the other three were just as mesmerizing. They twisted and shimmied and smiled with pretty but sly lips to any who dared meet their eyes, but to Erestor when they passed their heads were bowed in reverence. The three added to the music with smaller percussion instruments while Elodien used her hands as an extension of her dancing.

"Me gusta Harad," Orophin whispered to Valarda, whose reply after tearing her eyes from their host was "Me gusta Harad mucho."

"Si," nodded Orophin profusely as one of the ellith paused to dance directly before him for a short time.

Orophin and Valarda were not the only ones murmuring to one another, for most of the elves of the First Homely House were in awe, but whispered their thoughts to those around them. Silent from this was Haldir, watching, but distracted. Wrapped in cloth at his side was the flute Erestor had given him. He had practiced some short interludes that Glorfindel had scribbled down, and as the song continued, he found himself realizing new melodies to compliment the dancing. A few times he had tried to catch Glorfindel's eye to see if he could gain approval to play along, but the golden head remained bowed over his instrument.

Chewing on his lip in frustration, Haldir tried to enjoy the performance, but his hand wandered to the flute, touching the fabric that concealed it. His fingers slid under the fold, making contact with the ivory. A loud double clap made him jump, and he turned his head to see Erestor, staring at him. The music had ceased, the dancers poised just as they had been a moment ago, breathing deeply from the exertion of their movements. Shifting his eyes, Haldir saw that everyone was following Erestor's gaze to him, and he looked back to the dark and beautiful elf.

"It does no good on the ground," Erestor finally said, and Haldir scrambled to untangle the cloth and raise the flute to his lips. Fingering the holes nervously, he heard Glorfindel begin to play again, but the dancers remained still. It was only a few short notes, and then it stopped, and for the first time that night the barrier was broken and Glorfindel lifted his eyes up to meet Haldir's. Steadily, Haldir repeated the phrase in the higher register, and as he hit the last note, Glorfindel offered a second string of notes. This went on, five times back and forth, until finally the beat from the bells and tiny drums began again, and Glorfindel did not pause in his playing. Waiting until he could feel the right time to join them, Haldir began to imitate Glorfindel's music, responding to the notes he played, and eventually, creating his own song within theirs.

This continued for some time, but the silent signal from Erestor to Elodien was not missed by any of the performers. As the ellith all gathered at the center, shaking the percussion instruments in finality, Glorfindel and Haldir drew out their notes. Applause broke out for the dancers and Erestor stood up, holding out his arms before him with his palms facing up. "Peace and long life to you all, my friends, and welcome to our kingdom." Stepping forward, he smiled, more like himself and less like the part he was playing, and said, "I hope you have enjoyed our introduction to Harad. We will dine shortly, but first, my thanks to those who have helped Glorfindel, Elodien, and myself in preparing this little festival for all of you. Thranduil for having been able to provide many of our props and scenery for the occasion, Cirdan and Nenua for converting this ship sail into the tent we are in and for other things, and their lovely daughters for the dancing and the food."

"I had nothing to do with the food," spoke up the elleth with jet black hair. "Nana wouldn't let me into the kitchen."

Snorting at this, the red-head said, "Liar, you wandered off to play in the Kastle's caves with your friends at the first sign you might have to help."

"Don't get her started," mumbled the brunette, but whatever she might have added to this was cut off as she stumbled on a fold in the carpet that lined the bottom of the tent, tumbling down to land in Haldir's lap as he caught her. "Pardon me," she said, smiling widely as she took her time in standing up. Behind her, her sisters were sighing and rolling their eyes.

"She did that on purpose," whispered the first none-too-discretely.

"I'd have done the same if I'd have been close enough," answered the second.

"Girls, why don't you help me with the food," suggested their mother, rising from her seat. Reluctantly the ellith shuffled out of the tent.

"Wonderful harem you have," smirked Glorfindel from his spot on the floor as Erestor stood, head in his hand.

"Quiet, or you won't have to pretend to be a eunuch," warned Erestor.

Thranduil chuckled and leaned over to Cirdan. "I am so very thankful right now that I did not have any daughters."

"And I was just about to ask if you wanted to trade," answered the shipbuilder.

When the group returned, there was one more among them - taller than the rest, but obviously younger with black hair tied back neatly in braids unlike the other three girls who had curled their locks and enhanced them with jewels for their performance.

"Cirdan, tell me I am not losing my memory, but I recall Anwamanë and Sárailondë," spoke Celeborn, addressing first the red-headed elleth who had caught Orophin's attention, and then the lady who had tripped into his son's lap. "And... Náriel?" He was rewarded with a bright smile and an encouraging nod from the other jet haired elleth, her green eyes sparkling. "But... " Celeborn shook his head, unable to recall a fourth daughter.

"This is Aerlinniel, our youngest," Cirdan said proudly as bowls of dried and sugared fruits and small buns that steamed, filled with meat and roast vegetables were set around the room to be passed around. He motioned for the young one to come to him and he took her hand, drawing her down to sit where he and his wife were as his other three daughters found places near to Haldir. "Aerlinniel will be forty-eight next month. We're hoping to throw her quite the party in two year's time. Tell them what you plan to do when you come of age."

"Ada," blushed Aerlinniel, fidgeting with the hem of her black and ruby colored gown.

"She's going to be a scholar," blurted out Anwamanë happily.

Sárailondë nodded at this. "Erestor has said he will tutor her."

"Ada insisted upon it! He said nothing but the best," explained Náriel, and now it was Erestor who looked slightly shy. "Ada said, 'Now, Oropher is fine, but just you wait for Erestor to get here'."

"Now, now, everything I was taught when I first began to take up researching was from your father," he said, motioning to Cirdan, "and most of all from Oropher. He is a fine elf to study with."

"He is a busy elf, and you are far more patient, and spent far more time across the sea" spoke up Cirdan. "Besides, you give me too much credit."

Erestor smiled. "You give yourself far too little. You must be hiding some great intelligence, to have helped in the creation and rearing of four such charming ladies," he said, passing a basket of sugar dates he had been handed to Glorfindel, who sat now beside him on the stacks of cushions.

"Girls take after their mother, boys their father. I have no sailor or ship builder among them, but all excel at the arts of song and dance as their mother does."

"Excuse me! I do, too, sail!" corrected Náriel.

"You have a canoe," Anwamanë said bluntly.

"So? It floats."

"HAD a canoe," Sárailondë said. "Until it capsized."

"It was a rough storm," defended Náriel.

"You lost it off shore. In five feet of water." Anwamanë held out the basket of steaming rolls to her sister with a grin. "On a calm day."

Snatching a roll from the basket and biting into it, Náriel declared, "I put it there for safekeeping." Taking the basket and handing it to Haldir, she said to him, "They are both just lucky I love them."

"The three of you need to stop by more often," laughed Orophin.

"And you as well, Aerlinniel," said Celebrian warmly.

Putting down the food she had been nibbling on, Aerlinniel shook her head. "I do thank you, but I am going to be so very busy with my studies."

"We can't come without you!" argued Náriel.

Sárailondë spoke up in agreement to this. "The cottage isn't so far away. We do have horses."

"It would be easy for you to study and then join us," reasoned Anwamanë.

"Now girls," spoke Nenua, "the trip from one side of Valinor to the other is very long. Just yesterday, I heard 'are we there yet?' more times than I can count." The trio of sisters began to point at each other in blame of this. "When Aerlinniel apprentices with Erestor, she will be staying at the cottage for months at a time."

"Away from us?" pouted Anwamanë.

"They could stay with us during Aerlinniel's apprenticeship," Celebrian announced. "We have more than enough room." Elrond, who had his mouth full of food, shot a worried look at his wife, but as she pinched his leg unseen to the rest, he gave something of a nod and Cirdan looked at his wife.

"Wouldn't that be odd, to have an empty house again?" mused Cirdan. "But Elrond, I must insist, there must be something I can do in return for this hospitality. You don't need a ship for anything, do you?"

There was light laughter, and Elrond was about to reject the counteroffer, but Celebrian answered for him. "Oh, can you imagine that? A ship would be lovely, like the little swan boats we had in Lothlorien."

"Those swan boats came from the design of the swan ships, the great ones from days so long past." Cirdan smiled. "Well, that will be fine then. I've wanted to build another ship, and this will give me the time for it. It seems only right you should have a ship on the shore," he added, "living so close to the ruins of Aqualonde."

"Thank you, Cirdan, as always you are most kind," said Elrond.

"A week with my girls, you might not be saying that," joked Cirdan as his daughters made faces at him for his jest.

- - - -

After the meal and before the second part of the entertainment, some of the pairs had left the main tent to wander the beach, or to walk along the shore. Haldir had found himself surrounded by three inquisitive and lovely ellith, and decided it would have been rather impolite to have tried to stand - especially considering at any given moment, one of them tended to be sitting in his lap or overlapping him in some manner. When the conversation lulled, he reached for his flute, and began to look around frantically when he did not find it.

"Have any of you ladies seen a flute?"

"The one you were playing?" asked Sárailondë. "I think Erestor picked it up just a few minutes ago before he left.

Náriel nodded. "You know, Sárailondë is a musician, too. Anwamanë and I sing along with her playing."

"The two of you could play a duet," suggested Anwamanë.

"Perhaps later, I would be most delighted, but I should like to find my flute. Excuse me," he said suddenly, extracting himself from his adoring fans, and moving to the exit. He caught Cirdan's amused grin as he left and smiled back. As he walked down the beach looking for the host of the night's festivities, he continued to smile to himself. He had spent much time looking to the King's Kastle and other such places to find companionship, but it never quite seemed real. Perhaps he had been looking too far when the answer was under his nose. He had met Cirdan's daughters on a number of occasions, they had grown up in Valinor, all four of them, after their father's return to the shores of Aman. They were all pretty, and each of them with their own pleasant differences. And they were, deep down, sensible, raised well, but with a sense of humor, and a love of life. Any of them, he realized, would be a happy addition to the house, and quite easy to live with and love.

His thoughts continued on this path as he came to hear the sounds of a flute, the flute that Erestor had given him, coming from one of the smaller tents. Without thought to announce himself, he pulled back the flap of the tent.

Within the small tent upon a tall stack of cushions sat Aerlinniel, playing the ivory flute. There were only a few candles within the enclosed space, and they lit the elf who slithered seductively before her, his entire body set to dance like a snake under a charmer's spell. When he turned his head to the doorway to see Haldir gawking there, he said, "In or out, but close the door."

Haldir slid against the inside wall, dropping the flap. His jaw gaped open as his eyes stayed upon Erestor, his limbs graceful, his moves so entirely suggestive, and Aerlinniel, a blush creeping over her skin, yet she continued to play, and more boldly. It was as if she was testing Erestor - how far would he go, and he her - how long would she play. The contest of wills was broken by a questioning shout for Erestor outside of the tent. The music stopped, Erestor turned on his heel and listened a moment before sliding the flute from Aerlinniel's hands and taking it to Haldir.

"Tell everyone I'll be there in a moment," Erestor said, chest heaving, holding out the flute to Haldir. As the younger elf took hold of the instrument, he took note as Erestor placed one finger to his lips in a signal he should say nothing, then winked.

Ducking under the flap of the tent and hurrying back to the main area, he passed Glorfindel, who was walking in the direction he had just come from. "Uh, I, uhm..." Haldir paused as Glorfindel turned with a questioning look. "Erestor's... busy. He'll be out in a minute."

"Or ten," grinned Glorfindel before stepping to the small tent and disappearing behind the doorway curtain.

- - - -

Once everyone was reassembled, the charade resumed: All of the 'Haradhrim' were back in character. While everyone lazily lounged about from dinner, the harem girls refilled goblets of wine and came around offering candies and sweets from ornate plates dusted with sugar. Prince Balaji and his vizier took turns telling ancient tales of Harad and lands further still. Although it was their host who could recall the details perfectly to the stories, Sagar was able to capture the fascination of the entire room, even the prince, as he retold the stories with the flair of a loremaster.

Then it was time for dancing again, with the ladies being more bold as the night wore on. Haldir stole a look at Cirdan as Anwamanë flirted with Celeborn and Elrond during a break to the amusement of their wives, and was somewhat surprised that the shipbuilder was carrying on a pleasant conversation with Rumil and Nenniach. Though none of his daughters could have been very far past their majorities, it was only Aerlinniel whom he protectively kept at his side.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Orophin. Haldir turned to find his brother had flopped down beside him upon his stomach, elbows resting on the ground and head propped up by his hands.

"What do you think I'm thinking about?"

"Mmmm... Sairalonde or Náriel... Anwamanë's too bold for you, and Aerlinniel's too quiet." Orophin waggled his brows. Haldir ground his teeth for a moment, but his smirk could not be concealed. Orophin laughed. "Both, then? My, my..."

"Do you think Cirdan would be an easy man to get along with as a father-in-law?"

Orophin contemplated this. "As long as you're not pursuing Aerlinniel."

A question came to Haldir's mind and he patted Orophin's shoulder and then stood. Briskly, he walked unnoticed to the front of the tent. Erestor glanced up at him, and though Glorfindel looked over momentarily, his fingers kept moving along the strings of the buzzing instrument and his head remained bowed. "Your highness," Haldir said with a bow, "I was wondering if I might have a word with you."

Erestor rose from the ground in one fluid movement, and led Haldir around a flap that concealed a small chamber within the large tent. On the other side, the music and dancing continued. "Is something troubling you?"

"I was just wondering how it is that you managed to convince Cirdan and his entire family to cross the mountains and forests to come here on such short notice? The two of you must be quite close friends."

"Things are boring on the other side of the island, and he had the tents," answered Erestor.

"And the four beautiful daughters?"

"Four beautiful single daughters," corrected Erestor, "three of whom are not infatuated with me."

Haldir rolled his eyes with a sigh. "Did my mother put you up to this?"

"No."

"My father, then?"

"No. Give an old elf credit for having come up with something on his own."

"Thranduil."

Erestor did not answer right away. "He... may have had a little something to do with it..."

"Ai, Elbereth, Erestor! She's been gone only a few months now-"

"I thought we discussed this," Erestor said softly in reminder of Haldir to keep his voice low. "Haldir, I thought you let go."

"I'm trying. Just... let me do this in my own time. I know you mean well, Erestor, and I thank you."

Erestor nodded as Haldir slipped back into the main room. Taking up his spot again, Orophin gave his brother a look of concern. "I know that face, and I don't like it. What's wrong now?"

"It was Erestor and Thranduil's idea to have Cirdan's daughters here."

"Good for Erestor... Thranduil, I expect that sort of thing from," admitted Orophin. "Oh, stop with the long face or I'll tickle you right in front of everyone." Haldir smiled briefly, then frowned again. "Fine, have it your way." Orophin clapped his hands together, catching the attention of the dancers, and gaining a confused look from Erestor as he stepped back into the main room. "Ladies, your dancing is wonderful, but I would so appreciate it if you danced a little closer to my brother and I," he requested.

"Why don't you come over here by us," teased Anwamanë.

"Perhaps we will," answered Orophin with a leer, tugging on Haldir's sleeve.

"No, Oro," he hissed.

"But Halli-"

"I said-"

A loud clap sounded and everything stopped. Haldir closed his mouth immediately and looked around. Erestor motioned with his hand, and the ladies all dispersed among those around the room, with Náriel coming to sit with Haldir and Orophin. Glorfindel began to put away the instrument he had been playing while Erestor picked up a fiddle that somehow had made it's way to the cushions where he was sitting. "I would like to thank you all for joining us this night in Harad. When we have finished, I do wish to offer you shelter here in our community. There are many private tents along the beach, or you may choose to stay here in mine if you do not wish to make the long trek home."

"No long trek... I can't make the thirty paces to the front door," Orophin complained to Haldir, leaning against him.

Erestor lifted the fiddle and settled it to rest under his chin, the bow upon the strings. There was an audible buzz around the room - Erestor played the fiddle? And he did, smooth notes rolling off of the strings, dripping to the floor, and it was like it was in the Last Homely House with Lindir, and the song became tangible. It was Harad, as if they had been there, and they saw the camels as they lumbered over the sands, and the herds of mumakil. The brightly colored caravans traveled in long rows, and the riders of the milky white horses dressed in flowing fabrics, arms and faces painted with red.

Into the visions swirling around the center of the room walked Glorfindel, each step slow and pronounced, with bells around his ankles and at his wrists, and he brought movement to accompany the music. His steps imitated the great beasts of the desert, his hands and arms twisting and turning, telling the story of the land. His intensity was like fire, he flowed like water, and his energy rippled through the air.

Something was tapped against Haldir's shoulder, and he looked to see Orophin holding the flute. He was nudged with it until he took it into his hands, and nervously sat back, trying to decide when to begin. Closing his eyes, Haldir swayed with the rhythm before joining in on Erestor's song, hoping not to ruin it. When he opened his eyes again, Haldir saw Glorfindel pulling Celebrian up from the crowd, and he began to instruct her, but only a little, for Celebrian seemed very at easy in finding the beat and moving to the music. Each of the ladies who had been dancing earlier were rejoining Glorfindel, bringing someone with them. Náriel had brought Orophin to his feet and was leading him to dance with the others. At the onset of the next repetition of the song, others were brought to dance with the rest, until everyone was merrily stomping around to the music, whether they quite knew the steps that the experienced dancers did or not. Even Haldir had been brought to join them, still playing his flute, and Orophin and Valarda dancing around him as he played. Erestor had added words, foreign to them in the old language of the Haradhrim, but the chorus was so simple that it was being sung by all by the third time around.

- - - -

"It's a shame Celebdreth's already married. He is a good looking elf, don't you think, Sárie?" Náriel and her sisters were sprawled in one of the corners of the tent, readying things for the night, and planning to sleep in. Anwamanë was setting up her little area, while Aerlinniel was unbraiding her hair. Sárailondë was already snuggled into some of the pillows, and with one under her head, was watching the three ellin in the tent - Erestor and Glorfindel, but especially Haldir.

"Mmm... what?" The brunette turned her head slightly.

"Celebdreth. Cute. But taken," explained Anwamanë as she fluffed up some pillows into a little nest for herself.

Sárailondë nodded. "Yes, yes. Translation - waste of time." She looked back to the other side of the room, feigning rest with half-closed eyes as she continued to observe.

"She asleep?" asked Elodien as she reentered the tent and came to sit by her new friends, having gone into the house to change into a loose pair of leggings and a plain green shirt.

"No, she's dreaming," snickered Anwamanë. Sárailondë reached around and pinched Anwamanë's leg, causing her to snort and fall back. "We should just invite him over so that you don't have to strain your eyes."

"Brilliant. You do it," suggested Sárailondë.

"I'll do it," grinned Elodien.

"Oh, so it's like that, is it," giggled Anwamanë.

Elodien made a face. "No, he's my great uncle, it won't be obvious if I do it."

"Oh, smart girl! Have at it, then! My eyes are sore," Sárailondë said, sitting up.

Waving her arm to catch Haldir's attention, Elodien motioned that he should come over to the other side of the tent. Obligingly he strode over. "Good evening, ladies, how can I be of service?"

"We needed a big strong elf to protect us. It can be dangerous out here in Harad at night," Anwamanë said, batting her eyes. The other ladies laughed at her antics.

"You've been in Harad, that I know, Elodien, but the rest of you, how do you know of it?" wondered Haldir as he sat down among them.

Sárailondë sat herself on one side of him, and Elodien on the other. Náriel leaned back and said, "Adar collected lots of things, but most of them were from Harad, from the Corsairs. All kinds of things. Some from the inland, most from the pirates. He knew all of the stories, well, a lot of the stories. Nana's a dancer, so she learned the dancing, and she taught us. Well, most of us," she said, not looking at Aerlinniel, but the youngest glanced from her book upon hearing this.

"I can dance. I just don't like to make a public display of it," she replied quietly.

"That's our Linnie-fin, proper, not like the rest of us," said Anwamanë from her pillow nest as Aerlinniel turned the page. "Linnie-fin, where did you disappear to earlier?"

Aerlinniel looked up abruptly. "Disappear? When?"

"You left after dinner, and you snuck back in later."

"I wasn't sneaking," defended the young one.

"She was walking along the beach," spoke Haldir. Aerlinniel's surprised look went unnoticed by her sisters, for they were all looking to the Lorien elf. "I saw her there when I went to get my flute from Erestor."

"Oh," came Anwamanë's disappointed voice, seemingly hoping for something more scandalous. Aerlinniel closed her book and stood up, walking to another corner that was not being used. As further discussion went on about Harad, Haldir watched as Erestor left Glorfindel to rest, and sat down beside Aerlinniel, speaking with her about her book.

"Have you been to Harad?"

"Hmm, me?" Haldir shook his head in answer to Náriel's question. "I would have liked to have gone, but I never did. Only the closer places, such as Gondor and Rohan."

"Oh, you were in Rohan? With the horse lords?" Náriel practically bounced. "And the shield maidens?"

"Yes. I fought in Rohan, at the Hornberg, with the troops of King Theoden. I met King Eomer, and his sister Eowyn. Eowyn was a good friend of mine, we spent time talking and healing in Gondor."

"Don't you dare stop there," warned Anwamanë, "you've already got Náriel drooling at all the adventurous possibilities. Tell us more about the land of the horses."

- - - -

"... and that was when I was in my thirties, she was my first horse ever. I was very proud of her, pretty grey mare. Ada helped me breed her when... " Haldir yawned. "When I was older." He looked around, noting that all of Cirdan's daughters were at rest, including Aerlinniel, who had curled up near Erestor and Glorfindel across the room. Beside him, though, Elodien was still awake, sleepily blinking her eyes. "Well, time for bed, I suppose."

"Please don't stop. They've been asleep for a while, now, but I enjoy hearing your tales," said Elodien. "It's just like when I was a little girl in Gondor."

Haldir smiled. "You're tired, and I'm tired, and it's almost morning."

"One more story?"

"What if I say no?"

"I'll cry." Elodien stuck out her bottom lip.

"Don't do that, you're too cute to cry."

Smiling as she rubbed at her eyes, Elodien replied, "I don't know much about Rohan, I couldn't sleep if I wanted to, it's all so fascinating."

"I have books you can read about Rohan," Haldir said after another yawn. "What if I tell you one more story, and then you promise after that to go to sleep, and then tomorrow afternoon when we finally wake up, I will show you my-" Yawn. "-library and you can take what you like to read."

"Alright. Two more stories and I'll go to bed." Elodien leaned against Haldir's shoulder before he could protest their deal, but he was saved by the fact that she fell asleep.
Checkmate by Zhie
"Ooo... what's that?" Orophin asked, entering the parlor. He had an apple in one hand, which he bit into and chewed as his brothers looked over the new addition to the family's gathering room with glee.

"It is a new chess set," Rumil explained. "From Gondor. Erestor brought it over for us."

"Propaganda," added Haldir, picking up the white king and showing it to Orophin. "Tiny little versions of the king and his court. Sent as gifts to other kingdoms and bought by the upper class to show off to their friends."

"Who gets to be the pawns?" Orophin picked up one of eight identical pieces and chuckled. "Oh, we'd better not show this to Mr. Gamgee," he said as he replaced the piece.

Rumil picked up the white queen and handed it to Orophin. "Look, it's our niece!"

"Mmm. Doesn't look quite like her, I don't think." He turned the piece in his hand. "The face isn't quite right, and the hair isn't long enough-"

"I think it's just fine," Haldir said, taking the piece back from Orophin and placing it onto the board with the others.

Orophin shut himself up with his apple, looking over the pieces on Rumil's side of the game. "Ew, those are some ug-ly knights."

"I wasn't thrilled with playing the dark side," admitted Rumil, "but I did offer Haldir first choice. And besides, who can resist little Bishop Smeagol?" Rumil held up the tiny crouching figure near his face and mockingly blew it a kiss.

"Are we sure he wasn't adopted?" Orophin asked Haldir, pulling the rocker near to the table so that he could watch the game.

Haldir shrugged and positioned his pieces so they were all facing forward.

"Oh, don't start this, Halli. I'm sorry if you thought I was insulting her, but the piece doesn't quite look like Arwen."

Haldir said nothing and looked across at Rumil. "Since I chose sides, why don't you move first?"

Rumil put his bishop back into place and nodded. Orophin heaved a sigh and pushed back the chair from the table before getting up and leaving. Rumil moved a pawn forward and glanced across the board at Haldir. "You know he didn't mean anything by it."

Haldir looked down at his pieces. Instead of making a move, he flicked his king, sending the miniature King Elessar crashing to the ground before leaving the room.

"So... does that count as checkmate...?" wondered Rumil to himself as he reset the board.

- - -

"Halli? Oh, Halli, where are you hiding?" Orophin had been in all of the common rooms of the house, and each room of Haldir's suite. He thought to try the tree next, but heard his brother's voice coming from the rooms that the twins and Celebdreth had been sharing. Elrond had made the decision to evict his sons and nephew from the third floor just prior to the arrival of the ship his granddaughter Elodien was on, sending them to the first floor where he would hear them less often. She was offered the rooms and took them without question, not knowing Elrond's secret motive of having her directly across the hall from his own rooms. "It isn't that I don't trust them," Orophin recalled Elrond saying to Haldir, "but I don't trust them." Elrond had asked Haldir to keep an eye on the happenings in and around Elodien's room, and Haldir agreed. He had spent a time in Gondor briefly to educate the children of the king, and was the only other one in the house Elodien knew, with the exception of Legolas and Gimli. Elrond revealed to Haldir that he didn't trust either of them, either.

The doors to Elrond's rooms were shut at the moment, and Orophin closed in on the doorway to Elodien's suite, listening intently.

"Thank you for lending the books to me, Haldir."

"You have finished them already?"

"I stayed up last night until I had. I wish someone had been awake when I was done with this one. I have a number of questions I wanted to ask."

"As I have told you, my lady, you may come to me with questions at any time, day or night."

There was a bit of laughter, and then Elodien said, "That was when I was a child in Gondor that you said that to me. I would not expect you to keep such a promise here."

"I will honor my words, my lady."

"Haldir?"

"Yes, my lady."

"Please, you may call me Elodien."

"Yes, my lady."

Orophin decided now would be a good time to rescue, well, both of them from what could end up being an awkward situation. He stepped into view of the doorway. "Halli? Oh, Elodien, have you seen-" he spied Haldir, and walked over to him. "Halli! I've looked everywhere for you!" There was a stack of books in Haldir's arms and Elodien held one in her own hands. Orophin ignored Haldir's sudden blush, the close proximately between his brother and Elodien, and the two steps backward the elleth had taken. "Halli, I have something to show you – oh. Is... did I interrupt? I'm terribly sorry..."

Expecting a negative reply from one of them, Orophin was extremely shocked by Haldir's words. "As you should be." To Elodien, he said, "I am free after supper this evening to discuss the book with you."

"Shall we meet in the parlor?" asked Elodien.

"As you wish," Haldir said, walking from the room back to his own. Orophin followed after wishing Elodien a pleasant day, swinging a small sack back and forth at his side with one hand.

"She certainly is fair, that one," Orophin remarked once they were in Haldir's rooms with the door securely shut.

"She certainly is," agree Haldir, walking into the library to put away the books he had borrowed to Elodien.

"Takes after her mother, don't you think?"

"Better than taking after her father," Haldir said from the other room.

"Ai! I have an image of Estel in a dress now!"

Haldir shook his head as he came out of the library. "What is it with you and men wearing dresses?" he asked, sitting down on his bed. He moved Nibbles to his lap so that Orophin could settle down next to him.

"Funny, most of the time, it's `What is it with Oro', without specific incidents needing to be mentioned." Orophin looked over to see Haldir nodding and slapped him on the shoulder before concentrating on untying the sack he had brought.

"Is this what you wanted to show me?" asked Haldir as Orophin dug into the bag.

"No, I just brought it along as a decoy." Orophin pulled out a small figurine, his fingers closed over most of it, but Haldir could tell it was off-white in color. "I did my best to match it to the ones in the set."

"What set?"

"But I carve in wood, I don't make molds for clay, so it is not exact," continued Orophin.

"Orophin, just show me!"

"You are so impatient!" Orophin grabbed one of Haldir's hands with one of his free ones. "Here. I am sorry I said anything ill of your little Arwen." He dropped the wooden figure into Haldir's palm.

"Orophin, this is..." Haldir swallowed hard and held the miniature up to the light. "She is perfect."

"So you like it then?"

Haldir hugged Orophin tightly, then drew back to study the figure again. "How did you do it?"

"Honestly, I used Elodien as a model. She sat perfectly still the other night while she read by the fire, it was easy for me to carve it." Orophin reached into the sack again. "Now, I took some additional liberties, and..." Pulling out a second white figure, he grinned and handed it to Haldir. "...I hope you like it, your highness."

Haldir chuckled, looking over a much smaller version of himself. He frowned after a moment and touched a hand to his face. "My nose isn't really that big, is it?"

"What's wrong with it? It's not big, Halli, it's... a dominant feature," said Orophin.

This seemed to appease Haldir, and he looked to the bag in Orophin's lap. "It appears you have a few others."

Orophin grinned, biting on his tongue so he wouldn't laugh so loud. "These are for Rumil's side!" he said, pulling out one of the dark figures.

Haldir slapped his free hand over his mouth and fell back on the bed. He was sitting up once again after a moment and grabbed the queen from Orophin's hand. "I have a sudden urge to play chess."

- - -

"Hey!" Rumil pouted as he watched his second tiny gollum be swept from the board. "This isn't fair." He slumped his head onto his hands and glanced across the room at Orophin. "What did you do with my Haldir, Oro?"

"Whatever do you mean?" questioned Orophin.

Rumil retreated his queen. "He usually isn't this good."

Orophin grinned. "All hail the King of Greenwood, and his-"

The other two brothers looked up to see why Orophin had stopped, finding Elrond standing in the room. Rumil paled more than usual, and Haldir caught himself before he had knocked over his drink. "Are you looking for something, my lord?" asked Haldir.

Elrond nodded, moving closer. "I was told that Erestor and Glorfindel had come by. Have you seen either of them?"

"If you are still trying to convince them to move into the house, you are fighting a battle which cannot be won," advised Haldir. Although it was his turn to move, and he knew exactly what he wished to do, he dare not draw Elrond's attention to the board.

"No, I have given up on that," admitted Elrond. "You have not seen them, then?" All three shook their heads, and Elrond left the room.

"That was close," whispered Rumil, reaching to the windowsill to retrieve the dark queen that originally had come with the set. As he was about to replace it, Elrond came back into the room. Rumil dropped the queen to the floor, folding his hands in his lap, cursing to himself as the queen rolled toward the center of the room.

"If you see either of them, will you call for me?" Three heads nodded and once more Elrond disappeared.

"Whew." Rumil grabbed the errant piece from the ground and swapped the queens but just as he was about to put the piece into the sack, a commanding voice sounded from the doorway.

"Daro!" Elrond marched up to the table, and Orophin cringed in his chair, looking on helplessly as his brothers were confronted. "What is in your hand?" he demanded.

"What are you talking about?" Rumil asked, trying to sneak the figure up his sleeve. He cursed the tight cuffs of the shirt he had worn today.

Elrond reached forward and picked up the nazgul that stood as the queen of the dark forces. "Where is the piece that was here?"

Rumil sighed, casting his eyes down as he set the piece onto the board. Elrond took up the tiny reproduction and looked at it, narrowing his eyes. "This is meant to be amusing?" he asked, looking around the room as he held up a small version of himself.

Only Haldir had the courage, or stupidity, to smirk. "In a small way, yes."

Eyes further narrowed, Elrond snapped the figure in half with one hand and cast it to the ground. Elrond's eyes fell upon the white pieces, and Haldir's face fell as the king and queen were taken from the board. Elrond looked to Orophin for confirmation.

"It's Arwen and Haldir," Orophin said. "Please, don't break those. I took great care in making those for him."

Elrond raised his brow and gave an intimidating frown as the pieces were handed back to Haldir, who now dared not let go of them as he looked to the ground at the broken piece. "Orophin, I expect that you will not be making any more replications of my image for your chess game?" he asked rather dryly.

"Of course, not, my lord. I have far better things to do with my time."

Elrond said nothing to this and left the room to find his former advisors. There was a collective sigh of relief once the three brothers were sure he had gone up the stairs.

"It's a good thing I made enough of him ahead of time," Orophin said, approaching the board to look at the progress.

"So... how many more of him are there?" asked Haldir, replacing his king and queen before moving a rook.

"Enough to make him the pawn, and then some." Rumil tipped the bag onto the table, spilling the little Queen Elronds across the board. They knocked the majority of the other pieces, black and white, from their spots, and many off of the board. One Elrond in particular spun toward Haldir's royalty, and pushed over the king and queen. "Ooops. Guess that's check and mate, Halli!" winked Rumil.
Basic Math by Zhie
"Day number twenty-one thousand seven hundred and forty-seven. Bored of Valinor now. Think I might have to finally begin some mischief to make things interesting." Rumil dipped his quill into the ink and poised it over the paper before writing once more, saying the words as he wrote them. "Wonder if I could start my own elven realm within Valinor. Would call it-" Rumil paused, then grinned, "-Land of Rumil."

Haldir shook his head, pointing his spoon at his youngest brother. "It is a very good thing the Valar know you are jesting."

Rumil pouted, still writing. "Would set up a large palace for myself and select family members. Haldir will be confined to small shanty in the back near the latrines."

Haldir gave Rumil a look of great displeasure, but said nothing.

"What about me?" Orophin asked, peeling an orange. "Where do I get to stay?"

"In the palace."

"Ha! Hear that?" Orophin said, waving a chunk of orange peel at Haldir. "I get to live in the palace."

Shrugging, Haldir stirred his bowl of oatmeal. "I hear the palace is infested with rats."

"Is not," argued Rumil. "'Tis a lovely place. Warm and cozy, with furs on the floor of every room and a grand fireplace in the middle of the great hall. Tapestries of the heroic deeds of the Galadhrim upon the walls, and a good number of hunting dogs and cats living there, too."

"Hunting cats?" questioned Haldir.

"No, the dogs are for hunting, the cats are just cats. But it does not matter, for you are not allowed inside."

"Why is he not?" This was asked slowly by Elodien, who was standing in the doorway to the kitchen. The conversation immediately switched from Sindarin to Westron so that Elodien could better follow what was being said.

Haldir made to stand and pull a chair out for her, but Rumil, still sitting, dragged the chair next to him away from the table and motioned to it. "Because I say so. Because it is my palace."

"Your palace?" Elodien sat down next to Rumil, which happened to be the seat across from Haldir.

"Rumil is having delusions of grandeur," explained Haldir.

"You're just upset that you have to sleep in the shanty."

"Don't make me overthrow your kingdom, Rumil," threatened Haldir.

Rumil smiled wickedly. "It isn't a kingdom, it's a dictatorship."

"Can I be the dictator?" asked Orophin.

"No!" Rumil dipped his quill into the ink and scribbled on the page. "Keep an eye on Orophin. Possibly make him stay in the shanty, too."

"Well, that does it." Orophin separated his orange into individual slices on his plate. "Let me know when you plan to invade the Land of Rumil, dear Haldir, and I shall fight at your side."

Elodien laughed and pulled a banana from the bunch in the middle of the table. "This is all a game, then, I assume."

"Game!" Rumil stabbed his quill into the ink and began to write once more. "Elodien also not to be allowed into the palace. Does not take the Land of Rumil seriously."

Elodien glanced up at Haldir and then at Orophin, who both shook their heads. She began to peal her fruit after slipping a sideways look at Rumil. "Where do you intend to set up 'Land of Rumil'?"

"Oh, I don't know." Rumil tapped the side feather thoughtfully against the side of his cheek. "Perhaps in the woods near the King's Kastle?" Haldir choked on his oatmeal as Rumil continued to explain. "There's a lot of land just lying about over there."

"It's a forest!" exclaimed Haldir.

"So I shall borrow Gimli's axe," nodded Rumil, making a note of it.

"No, no axes. No cutting trees, no Land of Rumil, no- is something wrong?" Haldir's attention was drawn away from his conversation with Rumil as he noticed Elodien moving her chair away from the table to stand.

Smiling weakly, Elodien shook her head. "I just- it seems the discussion has me at a loss. I am going to the nursery to see if the little ones have awoken."

"We can speak of something else," offered Haldir, but Elodien shook her head.

"I expect I shall see you all this evening at dinner. Until then." Elodien took her leave, and Haldir focused a glare into his breakfast bowl as he went back to eating.

"Oh-oh. Someone's upset."

"Leave me alone, Rumil," growled Haldir.

"Fine. I'll let you have an indoor toilet in your shanty."

"I said, leave me be!" Haldir startled even himself with the force of his command, and the room fell silent.

Orophin tentatively raised his hand. "Can... can I still speak?" Haldir grumbled something too low for Orophin to make out. "Is that a yes, then?" Orophin soon found a towel was thrown over his head. "Apparently, not."

"What's the matter with you?" Rumil picked up his dishes and took them to the washbasin. "Every time Elodien comes around, you act so very strange. Growling at us, snapping out orders, demanding we be civil, it's truly a wonder we have any fun now..."

Orophin stopped listening to Rumil and pulled the towel off of his head to reveal a look of wonder and a rather large pair of eyes. Rumil continued to ramble on, but Orophin pointed at Haldir, thrust his thumb in the direction of the doorway, and jerked his brows straight up as far as they would go. Haldir's face turned a rather deep shade of pink.

"...just the other day, you became so defensive when all I did was ask if her father ever went back to that drowned rat look he was ever so fond of, and I really don't think it was necessary for you to kick me so hard in the shin. I was only curious..."

Orophin had been silently contemplating things, and finally nodded his approval. Resting his elbows on the top of the table, Orophin twisted the golden band on his finger for a few moments, raising one brow with a smirk on his face as he watched Haldir's reaction. Pink slowly darkened to red, and Orophin's smirk turned into a smile.

"...not to mention the fact that we once had breakfast together, all three of us, nearly every morning without interruption, and now, it is a rarity to eat a meal without her, not that I am against having company, but the morning meal was our time to spend together..."

Orophin settled his chin onto his hands, and silently sighed. Haldir bowed his own, suddenly extremely interested in his oatmeal.

"...I know she is Arwen's daughter, and of course, I think it is only right that we should take our grandniece under our wing, lest she be corrupt by whatever she would be told and taught by others of this house, but..."

"Ai! Our niece. She's our niece, Haldir!" Orophin clapped his hands over his mouth, watching as his brother slowly looked up, his face changing now from red to purple.

"You can't have me believe you only just made the connection now." Rumil shook his head at Orophin, but turned his attention to Haldir. "Halli, what's the matter? You aren't choking, are you?" Rumil scurried behind his eldest brother, intent on helping to dislodge anything that might be stuck with a good pat or two to his back, but Haldir stood, the color draining from his face slowly.

"No need. I am fine." Haldir left the room without another word, leaving his breakfast, and his brothers, in the kitchen.

Rumil looked to Orophin with panic and sadness. "Oh, no, Oro, I mentioned her name! I keep forgetting his is still in love with her... you do not think he will pine away because she did not come to Valinor, do you? I know he says he will not, but if I were he, I do not think I would tell the truth of it."

"If I tell you something, you have to keep it to yourself. It has to stay in this kitchen."

"A secret?" Rumil took up the spot Haldir had left. "Is it a secret, a good secret, or a really, really, really great secret?"

"It's a secret about our brother," said Orophin. "The kind you can't tell anyone else."

Rumil whimpered slightly. "You know I can't keep that kind of secret."

"Neither can I," shrugged Orophin. "Ah, well, he won't be able to keep it a secret for long, knowing him. Here are the facts, slightly exaggerated to make for better gossip."

"Only slightly?"

"Moderately, then. Haldir is quite smitten with someone who recently came from across the sea to live with us in Valinor." Orophin was grinning from ear to ear.

"If you tell me it is Glorfindel or Erestor, I shall stamp your foot," replied Rumil, but he was smirking, and his eyes sparkled mischievously even as Orophin punched him in the shoulder.

"No, you misbegotten orc, your early morning interloper is the object of Haldir's affections. Well, I think he is unsure of the situation thus far, but when I put forth the question of whether or not he wanted to marry her, he was adamant that he would stop at nothing to make her his bride," Orophin said.

Raising a brow, Rumil asked, "What percentage of that statement was amplification?"

"Please, Rumil, I only overestimate in modest moderation."

"But think of the grandparents of the girl - that surely will cause complication."

"If Elrond even suspects anything, I fear moderation. Finding his only granddaughter in love with his brother-in-law could cause quite an aggravation."

"If you haven't already realized, our family already suffers from obvious marital deviation. Cousins with cousins and nieces with uncles could be cause for some migration."

"You mean migraines."

"Migrati... er, wait." Rumil paused. "Migrate is...moving, and migraines is headaches." Orophin nodded his approval, but Rumil shook his head. "No, that doesn't sound right. Are you sure it isn't the other way around?"

"Yes... er, no... wait, why are we still speaking this silly language?" Orophin sighed, picking up the conversation in his native tongue. "The point is, Haldir loves her, and there's no reason not to let them be together. If she wants him. Frankly, I think whoever ends up with him is going to be deserving of a medal or a very lovely song in their honor or something."

"What about mitigation?" questioned Rumil.

"No."

"Multiplication?"

"Stop that now, you're just being silly." Orophin drummed his fingers on the table, and then said in Westron, "If they ever decide to procreate, that would result in multiplication."

"Would it?" questioned Rumil. "One times one is still only one."

"Sure. It works. One Haldir, one Elodien, one... little...whatsitsface..." Orophin shook his head. "No, mustn't plan ahead. First the wedding, then the elflings."

"Elflings? But if one times one only equals one, that would only make elfling," corrected Rumil.

"But they can multiply multiple times. That's the beauty of multiplication!" Orophin stopped abruptly. "Wow. I never realized Westron could be so much fun."

Rumil pulled his notes from earlier over to where he was sitting now, flipping to the next empty page. He retrieved the quill, dipped it into the ink, and wrote onto the page:

Valinor not quite so boring. Haldir is apparently in love. Plan to make things difficult for him, just as he did for me. Have been waiting nearly three thousand years to do so, planning on enjoying myself now.

"Whatever did I do that was so horrible and what do you plan to do in return?" Both Rumil and Orophin jumped upon hearing Haldir's voice. Neither had heard nor seen him enter, and he was standing just far enough away from them not to be directly seen, but close enough to read the words scribbled onto the page. He strolled around the table now, pulling out an empty chair, which he flipped around with ease and sat upon, so that he could rest his arms and chin on the top of the chair's back.

"Nothing...much..." Rumil turned to a new page in the book. "You warned Erestor I was coming to speak with him about Nenniach."

"I warned him so that he would not have heart failure, not because I was trying to do something awful to you," said Haldir, obviously hurt.

"You also told Elrond," added Rumil.

"For the same reason. He was about to lose one of his best scribes and an advisor of his court. He needed time to prepare." Haldir took a deep breath and sighed. "You sent word you were coming. I was already in Imladris at the time. That allowed not only for Elrond and Erestor to begin looking for someone to replace her, but gave enough time for plans to be made so that you were able to have a proper ceremony in Rivendell."

"Hurray for me, I just realized I'm the only one of us who was married in Lothlorien, and that includes our sister." Orophin nodded his approval to himself. "Although, she was engaged in Lothlorien, that doesn't quite count. Not really." He realized suddenly he was being stared at and meekly slumped down in his chair. "Sorry about that. Sudden moment of personal happiness. I'll try to be quiet."

Doodling on the page before him, Rumil shrugged. "I don't see why I shouldn't do the same for you, brother. I wouldn't warn Erestor, no need to, of course, I think he had something to do with all this. It certainly sounds as if he was the one who persuaded her to come, and I've noticed through the years that he's a hopeless romantic and matchmaker."

"No, really?" asked Haldir rhetorically. "I can't believe that, I mean, he only had you tutored by Nenniach, sent her out to Lothlorien periodically to research in what little we called a library, and arranged for the two of you to have adjoining rooms for your stays in Imladris. I just don't know what you could possibly be- "

"Fine, Haldir, enough!" begged Orophin. "You as well, Rumil. Rumil," Orophin took hold of Rumil's shoulder, continuing, "Rumil, you are not going to tell Elrond."

"Why not?" huffed Rumil, shaking Orophin off of him.

"Simple. Elrond would kill Haldir. And there's a one kinslaying limit for this family, so the quota has already been reached."

"He wouldn't kill him-"

"Yes, he would!" Haldir hissed. "Not before a good long lecture, but he would kill me."

"Elrond wouldn't hurt a mouse," argued Rumil.

"I am no mouse," laughed Haldir. "I am the elf who is going to court and marry his granddaughter."

"No fair! I made up that rumor first!" pouted Orophin. Haldir regarded him with a strange look, causing Orophin to say, "Shutting up now. Again."

"You're certain of it, then?" asked Rumil. "No more agony over the loss of the Evenstar?"

Haldir lowered his gaze, thoughtful for some time. Finally, he answered, "I will admit, I still grieve for Arwen Undomiel, but there is a brighter star that shines upon me."

"Ick, he's getting poetic..." mumbled Orophin. Haldir picked up the towel from the table and plopped it back onto Orophin's head.

Nodding, Rumil scratched at the paper with his quill. "You can't expect me to keep this to myself, Halli."

"You don't have to. Tell Orophin all about it. Discuss all the details with me - that's two elves you can talk to."

Pouting, Rumil looked up and batted his eyes. "That's going to be awfully difficult for me."

"You're no elfling, Rumil. I'll lock you in the stables if you don't cooperate," warned Haldir.

"That isn't nice, Halli. Besides, I am sure you could bribe me to keep quiet." Rumil let his lip protrude further and even tried to get a little teary-eyed.

Haldir glanced to Orophin, who had pulled the cloth from his head, then back to Rumil. "What will your silence cost me, brother?"

"Not much. Not much at all." Rumil tapped the feathered part of his pen onto Haldir's nose as he spoke the next words. "I want a lavender rabbit."

Frowning, Haldir pushed the feather away. "You want my bunny?" he asked defensively.

"No, not your bunny. I want one of my own," explained Rumil. "Not like yours, either." Dipping his quill into the ink, Rumil began to draw on the already doodle-filled page. "Here," he replied after just a moment, tearing out the sheet and handing it to Haldir. "This is what I want."

Haldir took the page and looked it over with Orophin peering closer to see. "Haldir, that isn't a-" Haldir silenced Orophin with his hand.

"I will need a week or more for this. You are to say nothing until that time, and nothing after, agreed?" Haldir folded up the paper as Rumil nodded profusely. "Swear it, Rumil, I am not taking this lightly."

"I swear not to talk to anyone - except you and Orophin - about...anything that was discussed here this morning."

"And if you do..." prodded Haldir.

"And if I do...?"

"You forfeit an entire day to Orophin, and will have to do whatever it is he wishes, no matter how embarrassing it might be," replied Haldir.

"Why Orophin?" asked Rumil as Haldir stood up and walked to the door.

"Because," said Haldir, "as was already previously established, if you tell anyone, there is a better than average chance I will be dead. I want to be sure that someone as creative as I would be able to come up with a worthy punishment. It shouldn't matter, though, for you are not going to tell anyone anything."

"Fine. If I talk, Orophin gets to make me do whatever he wants. One day only," added Rumil.

"I don't suppose you have any requests, do you, Orophin?" asked Haldir before leaving the room.

"Oh, no, none at all," said Orophin. "I'm quite happy to stand innocently by and watch nature take its course!" he said cheerfully.

---

"This isn't a rabbit."

"I know," said Haldir.

"This is for Rumil?"

"Yes," said Haldir.

There was a pause while the twins looked at one another, and then they both asked, "Why?"

"He...I..." Haldir sat down on the end of Elladan's bed heavily, and the twins rushed over, one on each side.

"He knows something, and he's blackmailing you," guessed Elrohir.

"You are in love again," added Elladan.

Elrohir tilted his head, as if he was farspeaking to someone, and Haldir realized the twins were sharing their thoughts on the matter. "In love with our niece - there was a time when I could say you were in love with our sister." Haldir blushed, though Elrohir's words were not meant to cause him to do so, and each of the twins placed an arm around the elf's back to comfort and calm him.

"I think I like niece more than sister, though I never would have had issue with being your brother-in-law. Really, it's all relative when you think about it." Elladan was the first to laugh, merely appreciating his own pun, but Haldir and Elrohir soon joined him.

"Will you make this for him?" asked Haldir after their laughter abated.

Two heads nodded. "And we will tell no one," added one voice, though Haldir knew it was a promise from them both.

---

"Day number twenty-one thousand seven hundred and fifty-nine. Still bored of Valinor. Planning on starting a new sport involving sand, parchment, and monkeys. Think I might have trouble finding monkeys this far from-" Rumil stopped his writing and chattering as a package was dumped before him on the table. He looked up to find Haldir, arms crossed and wearing a triumphant expression. "What's this?"

"Go ahead and open it," insisted Haldir as he took a seat.

Rumil tore the paper quickly from the object he had been given and gasped. "Oh, Halli, he's perfect! Halli, Halli, I love him!" Rumil cuddled the soft toy. "Thank you, Halli."

"Thank Elladan and Elrohir when you see them next," said Haldir, pouring a glass of juice from the pitcher on the table. "Oh, and they know why they made it, so there are two more elves for you to speak with. Never let it be said I am not accommodating."

Not seeming to really hear, Rumil was squeezing his new toy as the sounds of someone walking down the hall while uttering comforting sweet talk drifted into the room. Haldir cleared his throat to get Rumil's attention and said, "I hope you do not mind, I asked someone to eat with us this morning. From the sounds of it, I believe she will also be bringing a guest." Haldir's assumption was confirmed when Elodien entered the room, carrying a small cooing bundle that was waving an open hand around in an attempt to catch her nose.

"Good morning, everyone. Orophin...Rumil...Haldir..." Elodien let her eyes linger on Haldir a little longer than upon the rest, and he smiled as he helped her settle into a seat at the table. "I planned to come alone, but this little one complained every time I put her back into the crib. Yes, you did," she said, addressing the bundle in softer tones. "Oh, yes, we peredhel have to stick together, don't we. Yes, we do. We sure do." This seemed to appease Vilya enough to stop waving her arm about, and Elodien let the little elfling latch onto a finger. "She's so darling. Can you imagine, this little one here is my aunt! How silly, really. Such wonderful silliness in this place."

"Wonderful silliness, indeed," agreed Orophin, flipping one of the ears of the stuffed toy Rumil was clutching.

Elodien looked up and laughed. "What is that you're holding, Rumil?"

"It's my lavender rabbit," he said proudly.

"Lavender, yes, but...rabbit?" Elodien looked from Orophin to Haldir and back to Rumil. "It looks like a dog."

"It's really a rabbit," said Rumil.

"If you say so. You have a very nice rabbit, then," Elodien told Rumil.

"Thank you," he said, and went back to cuddling it.

"Milk? Juice? Tea?" offered Haldir, catching Elodien's attention.

"Oh, I can get my own, thank you, if you can hold the baby," she said, and without giving him much of a choice, gently placed Vilya into Haldir's arms. "Huh."

"What?" questioned Haldir, looking up with concern.

"You did that...very naturally," said Elodien approvingly.

Haldir smiled and did his best not to blush. "I'd be some big brother if I'd have let my siblings fall on their heads," he answered.

"One times one," began Rumil.

"Equals one," finished Orophin, smiling behind his coffee at Haldir.

"What was that?" questioned Elodien from across the room.

"Nothing," mumbled Rumil from behind his rabbit. "Just basic math."
Best Intentions by Zhie
"Uncle?" Elrohir knocked on the door again. "Haldir?" Elladan pushed past his brother and tried the handle, giving a frustrated bang on the door when he found it locked.

"Come, now, open the door. What did he say to you?" Elladan pressed his ear against the door, but heard nothing. "We are not above climbing the trellis!" He pressed his ear against the door again and fell into the room as the door was opened. Elrohir stepped over him and embraced his uncle before he could move away.

"Tell us what he said." Elrohir refused to let go, and soon Elladan was on the other side of him.

Forcing a half smile, Haldir said, "Nothing, nothing at all."

"Haldir," whined Elladan, "tell us!"

"No!" He pulled the twins from him and set his face sternly. "It is of no real concern."

"We're not going until you tell us what it was he said!" Elrohir stomped his foot as if this would help to convince Haldir, but the light-haired elf returned the young elf's look with a blank gaze. "Please?"

"It does not matter."

"Yes it does!"

"It does not."

"It matters," argued Elladan, his arms crossed. "It matters that you were crying and loud enough for us to hear you. There's no shame in it, but there's no reason you should be, either. No good reason, really, no reason for what he said. I don't even know what he said or what he did, but you were just fine when we left you in the parlor not an hour ago. Now, you look like someone killed your horse or broke your heart."

Realization came to Elrohir's eyes as he turned his head to his brother and then to Haldir. "Elodien. Oh, Haldir, he didn't--"

"He didn't anything. He knows nothing." Haldir turned around. "I understand your intentions, but I am not in the mood to be cheered up. Go now, please."

"Haldir--" began Elladan as he reached out for Haldir's shoulder.

"Go!"

Both twins skittered backwards and out of the door, quickly closing it as they went. It was promptly locked behind them, and they saw Orophin and Rumil just down the hall.

"Well?"

"Well, it does have to do with her, and with Ada, I think," whispered Elrohir as the four of them walked down the stairs. "He's stopped crying for now, but for how long?"

Elladan slammed his fist against the wall of the hallway before angrily kicking the woodwork. "I know Ada is brilliant, but sometimes, his lack of intelligence mystifies me." Elrohir was silent, but Rumil could tell this could turn into a disagreeable conversation between the twins very soon. He put an arm around each of them and leaned their heads toward his.

"We can not know for sure what was said, nor if it was your father who said anything." Rumil hugged his nephews closer and looked to his brother. "Orophin? Your thoughts? I, too, dislike seeing or hearing him in such pain. I will not have him fade from us."

"Hmm." Orophin led the group to the second floor. "I think the time may have come for us to take this matter into our own hands," he said, pushing open the door to his rooms when they reached the hallway. "We will speak here, where we will not be interrupted."

"Is it safe?" questioned Elladan as Elrohir asked, "Will we not get lost?"

"Don't worry," said Rumil. "The clutter is low enough, I promise you will not sink, and nothing lives in it that will bite you."

Orophin ignored the comments about the state of his dwellings and waited until everyone was seated and the door was closed to speak. "I call this first meeting of the 'Haldir Needs to Get Laid Club' to order." Orophin looked around the room, which right now included only his brother and his twin nephews. "We're a little light on membership right now, but I'm positive that will change in the near future. First things first. Twelve hours ago, Haldir had his mind set on being a husband. Now, he's gone back to being a hermit. Possible causes?"

"Because he's Haldir and he's just like that," mumbled Rumil. The twins had a more practical explanation.

"It's Ada," they said in one voice, for they had continued their conversation, though not for their uncles to hear, and Elladan did not need long to convince Elrohir. It was even Elrohir who now continued to speak, adding, "I think he was in the parlor with him, and I do not know what was said, but obviously it has Haldir quite upset now. I only wish we had been down there when it happened."

"Hmm..." Orophin rubbed his chin as he paced the room. "Since we won't know what to do until we know what happened, we need to find out what was said. We won't get it from Haldir, and I am not going to ask Elrond. Do we know of anyone else who was in the parlor?"

The elves shook their head at him as the door to the room opened. Valarda cocked her head and looked oddly at the elves spread around the room where they had found places uncluttered enough to sit. Orophin ushered her quickly into the mess and shut the door behind her. Setting a tray with buttered toast and jam onto a semi-cleared off table, she looked around again at the group in the room. "You didn't tell me we were going to have an audience," she finally said.

"I even sold tickets," quipped Orophin back as his wife sat down on the bed.

"Really? You mean elves would pay to see us? Well, if I'd have known, we could have done this back in Lothlorien." She picked up a piece of toast and began to eat it.

"Where did you get that?" questioned Orophin.

Valarda studied her toast as she swallowed. "What, this? The kitchen of course."

"The kitchen! Excellent! Just as I suspected!" Orophin sat down excitedly on the opposite side of the bed, grinning madly at her. Valarda looked as if she were about to get up and leave the room. "Were you down there for a while?"

"I suppose I was," she replied, then took another look about at the elves. "What's all this about anyhow?"

"Did you hear what was going on in the parlor?" questioned Rumil.

Nodding, Valarda bit into her toast again. "Of course I did. You can hear everything going on in the parlor from the kitchen and the other way around." All four elves were suddenly crowded around her on the bed. "I suppose you want me to tell you what it was that I heard."

"I'll make it worth your while, sweetheart," urged Orophin, running a finger along her arm. Valarda narrowed her eyes. "I'll REALLY make it worth your while."

"Are they still going to be here to watch?" she questioned, settling back against the headboard as she continued to eat her snack.

"Only if you want them to be here."

"Hey!" Elrohir looked a little upset. "We paid for these seats!"

"Tonight's show requires audience participation," Valarda said without batting an eye.

Rumil scooted back a little. "I'm out," he said. "No offence, sis, but my wife would kill me."

"Guess I'll settle for a refund," Elrohir said ruefully, crossing his arms. "After you let us know what happened in the parlor, of course."

"I came downstairs," said Valarda as she remembered the evening, "and went to the parlor. Haldir was there playing chess."

"With whom?"

"No one. He was just playing chess. Against himself, I suppose. Anyhow, he was playing chess, and he seemed rather cheerful. I asked if he wanted to join me for a bite to eat in the kitchen, but he declined, and so I said goodnight. I left and obviously went into the kitchen to fix myself something and saw a stack of letters on the table from the city. I began to sort through them when I saw Elrond walk past the door. He noticed me and paused and gave a nod, which I returned. I think he must have intended to go in to get a book or something; he looked tired when he walked by, but he began a conversation with Haldir. I didn't much pay attention at first, they were talking about elflings."

"Please, Valarda, we don't care what they bantered about. Tell us, what did he say to him to upset him so?" questioned Orophin.

Elladan was more direct. "Did he mention Elodien?"

"I'm getting there!" Valarda sighed heavily and finished the rest of the current slice before starting on another, dipping it into the jam. "Well, Elrond made mention of 'all the elflings around the house', and Haldir said there were only two. That's when I really began to take an interest in what was said."

- - -

"Two? I count three under this roof," came the voice of Elrond.

Valarda's ears perked up, and she looked up from the letter she was reading from her father to the wall that separated her from the parlor and mouthed 'three' while trying to count the elflings she knew of, and came up with the same total as Haldir.

"Three." Haldir was obviously doing the same.

"Vilya, Tallasinde, and Elodien, of course."

Standing up quietly, Valarda padded softly to the wall and listened more carefully, hearing now the sounds of chess pieces moving on the board had ceased. "Well... of course..." she heard Haldir answer. "But Elodien... she's hardly an elfling. It's surprising she did not marry already." Valarda was focused on the conversation now. She could read Haldir's voice well, better than most and even better than his brothers at times, from the many long years of trust the two had built being in charge of the border guard in Lothlorien. He was using a tactic to extract information, and he was already unhappy with the answer he knew he would get but had not yet received.

"Her life as a ranger was good, but did not allow her time to learn of our culture and history. She is lost here, and it will take many years of guidance beneath this roof for her to grasp the concepts, language, mannerisms..." His list droned on, and Valarda suppressed a sigh. Apparently, Elrond did not notice his granddaughter was a grown woman who was obviously not a complete innocent. At least, not from what Valarda had seen and heard. Leave it to Elrond to want to keep her protected within the confines of the house.

As the conversation continued, Valarda realized Elrond was doing and saying what he was out of fear - he had left his daughter in Middle- earth, never to again see her. Now, he had a chance to keep a small part of her safe, and was going to do all within his power to do just that.

- - -

"Then what happened?" insisted Rumil.

Valarda shrugged. "Then Haldir left. I stayed in the kitchen and made my snack, and brought it up here after stopping in the parlor to bid Elrond a good evening."

"So Elrond doesn't think she's ready to marry," mused Orophin. He looked around at those sitting in the room. "We have a very important mission ahead of us. As is implied by the name of our organization, we are going to have to band together in order to get Haldir an elleth. Frankly, up until this point, I assumed he could do it on his own, but none of us anticipated Elrond the Balrog - no offense El and El - to be in our way. This is going to be a very, very difficult task. Our goal must be to get Haldir and Elodien together without getting Haldir killed and without Elrond realizing any of us helped, because in all honesty, he would then kill us, and I don't like that outcome very much."

"This coming from the elf who tried to get someone to kill him only last year so he could see what it was like to be in the Halls of Mandos," laughed Rumil.

Pointing a finger at his brother to shush him, Orophin said, "I was under the influence of vanilla pudding at the time, I cannot be held accountable for my actions!" To the rest of the group he said, "I will do whatever is in my power to accomplish this task. What say you all?" There was a resounding 'aye' from the group. "Excellent," said Orophin, rubbing his hands together. "We shall meet again in two days time. Everyone think of some ideas between now and then, and we shall work out a plan. Now, if you will excuse me, I promised to make this worth someone's while," he said with a grin. Rumil and Elrohir left almost immediately, but Elladan lingered. "Yes, what is it?"

"What sort of... participatory activities might the audience be privy to if they were to stay?" he asked as he gave Orophin a sly look.

Orophin thought for a moment and then said, "Well, for starters, this bed needs to be made. And then, the tables could use a dusting, and the floor obviously needs to be picked up, not to mention- Elladan, where are you going? I've not even told you about the lint you get to scrape out from between my toes!" He laughed as the door was slammed shut when the peredhel left the room with a chuckle.

Valarda gave Orophin a most unhappy look. "Lint between your toes?"

"I thought it truly impolite to tell him the lint was between your toes, dear."

"You know," Valarda called as her husband rolled off the bed and out of distance to be hit before escaping into another room, "it's not Elrond whom you need to fear death from!"
You Don't Have to Go Home, But You Can't Stay Here by Zhie
"You're both up. Early," remarked Haldir, slightly confused. He dropped down into a seat at the table and peered at the pair already there. "And you both appear... awake. Refreshed. Far from hung over."

"No need to rub it in," Elladan said darkly.

Haldir was unable to comment further as the door opened and his sister walked in. She stopped short of the table and looked in disbelief at her sons. "Since when did the two of you start having breakfast with everyone else?"

They continued to fume until Elrohir finally said, "Look, whatever we did, it couldn't have been our fault. I don't know what it was, but-"

"Did? What are you talking about?" asked Celebrian.

"Might as well tell her," sighed Elladan to Elrohir. "Something - and we don't know what - happened, and we were banned from coming back to the King's Kastle."

"Forever," said Elrohir with grand finality.

Nearly choking on his coffee, Haldir said, "Orophin runs around pretending to be people he isn't singing questionable songs, Valarda is some sort of high priestess wizard thing down in the caves, Celebdreth - well, he used to pick up every girl who walked through the door, and the two of you were the ones to be kicked out?"

"There has to be a reason for it," said Celebrian as she sat down next to Haldir. "Didn't Thranduil tell you the reason he banned you?"

"Well," said Elladan carefully, "he wasn't the one to tell us."

"Who banned you? Ilmendin? Legolas? It wasn't Glorcheniel, was it?" she asked with a frown.

Elrohir shook his head. "Actually, what it was, is that we were coming up the path, and Lindir was talking to some elleth, and telling her that he was at the doors in case the twins came again, because no matter what they told him, he was not to let them through the doors."

"Being the only twins who patronize the establishment, it was fairly clear what it meant," sulked Elladan.

"Would you like me to talk to Thranduil for you?" offered Celebrian, reaching across the table and placing a hand over Elrohir's. Elladan had his arms crossed, still wearing a pouty expression.

"Na-naaah, please!" whined Elladan. "We're adults. We can handle this." Haldir raised his cup to cover his snicker and met his sister's sideways glance.

"Alright," said Celebrian, folding her hands upon the table. "What do you plan to do?"

"We're going to start our own pub," Elrohir said decidedly. "Honestly, if he can do it, so can we."

"Besides, our father was an innkeeper, in a manner of speaking," Elladan said. "What was his father? A... a... what was Thranduil's father, exactly?"

"Uhm, a king?" guessed Haldir in a most obvious voice.

"Before that," sighed Elladan. "What did he do before then?"

"He was a philosopher," spoke their father from the doorway. Walking to the pantry with a bucket of milk, he asked, "Just where are you planning to set up your establishment? Certainly not in this house," he added as he entered the larder and went downstairs to the storage area. Elladan and Elrohir immediately gave their saddest looks to their mother, but even from downstairs they heard their father. "That isn't going to work!"

"Do you think Glorfindel and Erestor will let us use their cottage? I mean, they can't possibly have need for the entire thing," whispered Elladan.

Haldir leaned across the table. "Only if they've lost their minds. But, I think you should ask them. They'll probably get a good laugh out of it."

"Well, unless you have a better idea-"

"I'm not the only who was kicked out of the King's Kastle," smirked Haldir, leaning back in his chair.

Elladan pouted again. "You don't have to rub it in."

"What about the beach?" questioned Elrohir.

"What about it?" asked Elladan, but a moment later his eyes lit up. "That's right! The beach doesn't belong to Ada, just the house! We can do whatever we want on the beach!"

"It will be great! Think of the atmosphere - sand beneath your feet, sounds of the ocean-"

"Big pink fence of flamingos surrounding your neighbor's house," Haldir reminded them.

The twins leaned back simultaneously, obviously deep in thought and conversing with one another. When twin grins were flashed and the pair rose and left without a word, Celebrian chewed worriedly at the skin inside her mouth and looked at her brother, and her husband as he emerged to the pantry. "There is a lock on our liquor cabinet, is there not?"

- - -

"The Pink Sea Bird."

Elrohir nodded as he arranged the glasses on the shelves of the bar area Orophin had built for them. The bar itself was oval shaped, and at the center there was shelving for the bottles, glasses, and other small things needed. Elladan was positioning the stools around the outside of the bar and lighting the candles that were either on the counters or atop tall holders spiked in the sand. "We were going to call it The Pink Flamingo, but that seemed redundant."

Haldir nodded in agreement and took a seat at one of the meticulously arranged stools. "Well, if nothing else, this project kept Orophin out of trouble for the last month. What other ideas do you have that could keep him busy?"

"I wish he was here tonight," sighed Elrohir. "He said if it wasn't for having to put some time in at the Kastle, he would be." He set down his bar rag and waved at a pair approaching along the beach. "El, get over here! We have our first customers!"

Elladan scooted around the corner and joined Elrohir while Haldir crossed his arms and gave them an odd look. "And what am I?"

"You're family, you don't count," Elladan explained as he gave a wave and smiled widely as the first patrons came to the makeshift outdoor pub.

"We heard all about your entrepreneurial venture." Glorfindel sat down on one of the stools that lined the outdoor bar. Behind him, Erestor remained standing, looking a little out of his element.

"I'm so glad you could make it," Elladan said enthusiastically. "Please, Erestor, have a seat. Don't worry, they're quite sturdy," he said at the wary look the tall, dark elf gave the high stool.

"Actually," spoke Erestor, "I was going to go inside and speak with your father... while..." Pausing when he saw the forlorn looks on their faces, he said, "I suppose I have time for one drink."

Glorfindel looked through the selection list that hung on a wood burned plaque behind the bar. "You know, we've never been to that 'other place'," he grinned. "In fact, this is the first drink I'll have in Valinor. What do you suggest?"

"Well, everything on the list is unique to The Pink Sea Bird." Elrohir looked through the list quickly. "Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you like rum, right?" Glorfindel nodded. "Then I would suggest either a Nenya or a Mithlond Twist."

"I'll probably have more than one, so I think I'll try the second one," decided Glorfindel.

Elrohir nodded and began to mix the drink while Elladan turned to Erestor, who was thoughtfully rubbing his chin. "I just want something that isn't too intoxicating."

"What's the point?" joked Haldir from a few seats down.

Erestor smiled. "I have to make sure I can steer him home at the end of the night," he said, poking a thumb at Glorfindel. Glorfindel nodded as he was handed a tall glass with a light orange liquid in it. "How much alcohol's in that one?" he questioned. "Can you perhaps make it without the rum?"

"I suppose we could," frowned Elladan. "But it doesn't quite mix the juice so well with the liqueurs."

"Oh, so it would still have alcohol, then," mused Erestor. Glorfindel laughed. "What?" asked Erestor.

"You don't come to a bar to not drink," he pointed out. "You must forgive Erestor," apologized Glorfindel. "He has a very delicate palate."

"I do not," argued Erestor. He looked at the list again. "I'm just not sure what everything is. You don't have any ales hidden on there, do you?"

"No," Elrohir said sadly. "That's all pretty much at the Kastle. It would be difficult to have it brought down all this way, and we don't have the means to store it."

"That's quite alright," Erestor said quickly. "Tell me, what exactly is a Drunken Vala?"

Elladan chuckled. "Oh, some of the names are silly, aren't they? Orophin came up with a lot of them. There's a lot of things in it, but basically, it has a peachy flavor."

"Why does it have a peachy flavor?" Erestor asked quickly.

"Uhh, well... it just seemed to work well. You disagree?" The elder twin wrung his hands.

"No. Not at all. Just was curious." Erestor nodded. "I suppose I can't be sure unless I try it though."

"Coming right up!" grinned Elladan.

For the next two hours, the conversation was quite animated between Erestor, Glorfindel, and Haldir, but as time wore on, the expressions the twins wore became longer and longer. It wasn't until they noticed a pair of ellith walking down the path around the house that they brightened again. Elladan waved his arm up over his head, and Elrohir gave a worried look to Glorfindel, who was standing up. "Something wrong?"

"Well, you have more joining you, we don't want to intrude at all," said Glorfindel. "We'll stop back tomorrow, perhaps."

"Oh. Well, I just thought, uhm, well, Haldir wouldn't want to be left out here all alone with people he doesn't know," Elrohir said.

Haldir, who had been standing up to leave as well, sat slowly back down. "So, Glorfindel, you were telling me about the patio you're going to construct...?"

As the two young ladies approached the bar, they pointed to different things, nodding or talking in hushed voice to one another about the décor. "Orophin said you started your own bar. This is nice," said the taller elleth, young with dark curls hanging down her back. She sat down at a seat across the way from Glorfindel and just a few seats from Haldir. "Do you have a name for it?"

"Well, you're really supposed to enter under the sign," Elladan told her.

"Oh. Should we come back around then?" she asked, pointing over, but Elladan shook his head. Her companion, an equally young silver- haired elleth, sat down beside her and smiled around at the elves who were there, and when they all smiled cordially back, she set about whispering something to her friend, who glanced quickly at Erestor and then back down as she giggled. Elrohir went about getting drinks for them as Elladan refreshed the others.

"El, do you see anymore of the dried fruit mix over there?" Elladan asked.

Elrohir shook his head. "No, but I think there is some inside. In the house," he added. "I think we forgot some of the cordials in there, too."

"We'd best go and get them now, then," advised Elladan. "Uncle, can you watch the bar for us for a moment?"

"Well-"

"Thank you, Uncle!" shouted Elrohir as he and his twin ran up the beach.

The silence that followed was brief; the dark-haired elleth giggled again, and the silver one nudged her and blushed. "Are you new here?" asked the darker one, addressing the pair across from them.

"We arrived two months ago," said Glorfindel. "In that ship yonder," he said, motioning to the ship that was still docked near to shore.

"Really? You've been across the sea all this time?" she asked.

Glorfindel nodded. "We had an oath to fulfill to our lord. Well, to Elladan and Elrohir's father and grandfather, actually," he added.

"So, were you there long?" she asked.

"Since the first age," said Glorfindel, and then, "although, well actually, I was here in the Halls of Waiting for a bit, and then I was sent back again."

"Really?" She nodded. "There are a lot of reborn elves here. I think practically everyone I know has a family member who is reborn. Well, Urueth doesn't," she said in regards to her friend, who shrugged and looked down. "But her whole family stayed here since they came with Orome long ago."

"I'm part Vanya," said Glorfindel, "but it seems so silly. We all came from the same small group, how much difference is there between us?"

The dark-haired elleth nodded. "Exactly. That's always been my philosophy. For example, I'm half Noldo and half Teleri."

"And that's my other half, mostly. Noldor, that is. Now, Erestor, he's-" Glorfindel paused at the sudden look Erestor gave him. "He's basically Noldor," he said. Erestor relaxed.

"Oh. You're not-" She lowered her voice. "One of THEM, are you?"

"No, he's not. He's from Doriath," spoke Haldir. "Definitely not one of THOSE elves, but those living here have been pardoned."

"Oh, right." She nodded. "I was just curious. My name's Finiriel, by the way."

"Haldir," greeted the elf at the end of the bar with a nod. "Pleased to meet you, and I really didn't mean anything by that, just that Erestor isn't the sort of elf who would have been involved with... well, that's not really pleasant discussion, forgive me."

"Nothing by it, nothing from it," she answered. "I still don't have your name," she said to the golden-blonde.

"Oh, I'm just Glorfindel," he said with a laugh. "You may have heard of me from 'The Fall of Gondolin' or some other boring history book."

Erestor snorted, obviously already affected by the liquor. "Take that back. I wrote that book!"

"You're the one who killed the Balrog," spoke Urueth for the first time. She had a look of fright on her face.

Glorfindel nodded. "I admit, I am guilty of that charge. But, in all fairness, I think he killed me first."

"Here we are!" announced Elladan as he and his brother returned. He looked over in alarm as the ladies began to stand up. "Something wrong?"

"Well... it's getting late," Finiriel said quickly. "But, it was lovely. Nice to meet you all. Come on, Urueth," she said. Urueth smiled at everyone, especially at Erestor, and then followed Finiriel back toward the path.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Elladan looked incredulously at Glorfindel. "What did you say?"

"I only made pleasant conversation. Talked about our heritage, mentioned Gondolin-"

"Did you tell them about the Balrog?" asked Elrohir dryly.

"Not yet," he said.

"Probably best you don't, then," said Elladan. "Actually, we hate to keep you. Really. I know you were going to leave earlier, we shouldn't have forced you to stay."

"Oh. Well, I guess we'll go home then," Glorfindel said. He stood up and finished his drink. "Fancy a walk along the shore?" he asked Erestor. Erestor nodded and took hold of Glorfindel's extended arm. "Good luck with your bar," said Glorfindel as they left.

Elladan shook his head as soon as they had gone. "This isn't going to work! He's going to scare everyone away with that horrid story!"

"What are you going to do, ban him?" asked Haldir, swirling his wine in his glass.

"Maybe we should," whispered Elladan to Elrohir. Elrohir gave Elladan a nervous look.

"If you ban him," spoke Haldir, "I wonder if he'll go and start his own bar on the beach?"

Elladan turned around and narrowed his eyes and then snatched Haldir's glass from his hand. "The bar is closed. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

"Yes, I can!" said Haldir adamantly. "This IS my home."

"The bar is STILL closed," Elrohir said.

- - -

"So, this is their bar. I think it turned out nicely," said Orophin, taking a seat. Haldir sat down next to him. Already there were a half dozen others sitting on the stools. "Business, all things considered, seems good."

Elrohir noticed his uncles and walked over. "One week anniversary," he said proudly.

Haldir nodded as he looked at the drink list. "Yes, I know. Things have been steadily improving for you, too."

Wiping the counter, Elrohir sighed. "They have been, but I feel badly. Neither Glorfindel nor Erestor have returned since the first night."

"I don't think they heard the two of you talking, if that's what you worry about," answered Haldir. "They just aren't much for drinking."

Elrohir nodded, looking unconvinced as a large party approached, led by Finiriel and Urueth. "Where's Glorfindel?" asked Finiriel. Behind her stood a group of a dozen or so others, mostly young ellith. Elrohir gulped and looked to Elladan.

"Uh, well, he's probably at home," guessed Elladan as he strolled over. He nodded to the cliffs nearby. "You can sort of see a light up there, that's where he lives."

"Honestly?" Finiriel turned to the group. "Maybe we should just go up there."

"Excuse me, but why exactly would you do that?" questioned Elrohir.

Finiriel looked over her shoulder. "Don't you realize who he is? He's the Balrog Slayer! The one they sing songs about!" When she looked back to the group, Elladan and Elrohir glanced at each other and Haldir nearly laughed himself off of his stool. The group of new elves began to watch Haldir curiously.

"That's it, I'm cutting you off," announced Elladan, taking away Haldir's glass of wine. "Elrohir, why don't you ride up to the cottage and see if Glorfindel would mind coming here early?"

"So he is coming here tonight?" asked Urueth.

Elrohir nodded as he stepped out from around the bar and headed to the house. "Of course! He always comes to The Pink Sea Bird!"

Haldir snickered as Orophin shook his head in amusement. "Well," whispered Orophin to his brother, "it looks as if they might actually give Thranduil a run of it."

- - -

Elladan looked around nervously, trying to figure out why it was taking so long for Elrohir to return. Such a large crowd had gathered that he was running low on many things, but feared to return to the house. Finally, he could wait no longer and turned to Haldir. "Uncle, would you-"

"Go ahead," Haldir said with a wave of his hand as he joined Elladan behind the counter. Orophin stood up as Elladan walked swiftly to the house.

"You're not having all the fun," scolded Orophin. "I get to play, too!"

"Good. I really don't know how to mix any of these," admitted Haldir.

Orophin took hold of two brightly colored bottles. "It's simple." He spun one up into the air, pouring it as he caught it and spun the other. "Piece of cake. Like killing an orc," he said, sliding the drink down the counter to the waiting elf.

"You've seen orcs?" the elf asked as he caught the drink.

"Loads of them," Orophin replied. "I was a lieutenant for some time in Lothlorien, one of the Galadhrim. My brother here," he said, pulling Haldir over by the sleeve, "he was Captain of the Galadhrim longer than any elf ever."

A resounding round of oohs and aahs rose up from the group. And then, a voice piped up, "More amazing still, he led the army of the Galadhrim and the Imladris guard into the Battle of Helm's Deep during the War of the Ring, and was one of only three elves to survive it. Much better Captain than I was, I got myself killed by falling off a cliff." There was a pause, and then the voice added, "I did slay that Balrog, though."

"Glorfindel!" A goodly number of elleths swooned and squealed in delight as he stepped forward with his lute.

"How about a song to liven things up?" he asked, strumming a chord.

- - -

Elladan gathered up a few more things and dumped them into the box he had, turning to see the door open.

"El, what's wrong?" asked Elladan as Elrohir entered the house with a grimace on his face. He cringed as Thranduil followed him, along with Erestor. "Good evening, m'lords," he said with a half smile.

"Erestor has informed me that there has been some confusion going on as of late regarding your 'banishment' from my 'kingdom'," said Thranduil in an amused tone.

"El, we weren't the twins they were looking for." Elrohir grinned sheepishly. "Remember Fereveldir and Ferevellon?" Elladan nodded. "Well, they were reborn, about thirty or so years back, but they grew like trees. So, they snuck in and got really drunk a while back, and Lindir was watching for them so that he could take them back to their father."

"Oh. So, we can go back to the Kastle?" asked Elladan hopefully.

Thranduil took a few steps into the house, carefully avoiding the decidedly ugly planter in the hall. "It looks as if you're doing quite well out here," said Thranduil. "But I really hate competition."

"We will shut that place down in a heartbeat," promised Elladan. "Do you know how much work it is to run?"

Thranduil slowly smiled. "That's really too bad. I was hoping perhaps we could work together. A seaside annex of the King's Kastle."

"As nice as that sounds," said Elrohir, "I'm dead tired from just a week of this."

"Me, too," agreed Elladan. He glanced at Elrohir and then back to Thranduil. "I think it's about time my brother and I retired from the business." He looked at the box of supplies with a sad smile. "It was fun while it lasted, though," he said as he walked to the door, intent on making an announcement.

The bar was packed, and Glorfindel was standing in the center area atop a stool, leading the group in a drinking song about himself. Orophin was amusing the crowd with his bartending skills, and Haldir leaned nonchalantly across the bar, wiping it down as he flirted with a group of maidens.

"Maybe tomorrow we can retire," suggested Elrohir as he peered over Elladan's shoulder.

"Tomorrow's good for me," replied Elladan as they went back inside to retrieve the rest of the supplies.
Pounce! by Zhie
Valarda tipped her head back to the sky and looked up at the stars, as if in deep thought. "Erestor," she said finally.

"Erestor!" exclaimed her husband, but he did not look upset in the least. Orophin took hold of the pipe and sucked the smoke into his lungs before handing it to his brother and exhaling slowly. "I wonder, you don't think--"

"Never happen," she replied, still staring upwards. "Glorfindel, yes, if you worked on him long enough. Erestor... maybe you could get him to watch, but that's about it."

They sat on the beach, their backs to the remains of The Pink Sea Bird, the abandoned outdoor bar that the twins had decided to run for a brief time. After finishing the remaining alcohol, they had begun to work on something stronger, and the stench in the air combined with the uncontrolled laughter was enough to confirm it.

"You sure?" Orophin frowned. "I think Erestor has an edge to him, a sort of fiery side to him we just don't get to see. I think you could get him to join in."

"Well, go ask him, then," prodded Valarda. "Early birthday present?" The pipe came back around to her as Orophin shook his head. "Coward."

"No, it just does nothing for me. Now, perhaps if you'd have chosen Glorfindel." Everyone gave Orophin an odd look, and he said, "Well, he was such a good teacher, must be some things he knows that we don't. Oh! I have it! Glorfindel, and we get Erestor to watch."

Valarda contemplated this. "Alright." She looked at the third male sitting with them. He had his own pipe, which he was puffing thoughtfully, and probably had had more of the weed than the rest.

"Hmm... let me think..."

"We let you think for over an hour!" exclaimed Orophin. "It's simple. A simple, simple question."

"Glorcheniel," he admitted, and looked sheepishly at Celebrian. "Not that I'm at all displeased currently, nor will I ever be in the future, but if I had to choose someone-"

"Like sons, like father," Celebrian mused. "I think you'd best leave that fantasy forgotten," she suggested slyly, "though, I could always find a wig of darker hair," she told him.

Elrond shook his head. "I'm perfectly content with the way things are." He took a long drag on his pipe. "But our sons certainly have good taste."

None of the six had heard the approach of a seventh elf, who was standing behind them with a rather appalled look on his face. "Dare I ask?"

Rumil, who had possession of the communal pipe, held it up to Haldir, who closed his eyes and shook his head. "What?" pouted the youngest brother. "Elrond's smoking it!" he pointed out. Elrond shifted his eyes towards Haldir, continuing to puff away. "You smoke it all the time."

"In moderation. You can use it to clear the mind and ease yourself into a meditative state. Not to... never mind, it's quite clear what you're doing, and it is not the intended purpose," he said, turning to go.

"Halli!" Orophin wrapped his arms around Haldir's legs. "Don't go!" He added extra weight by wrapping his long legs around next, nearly toppling his brother over. "We've smoked the leaf, we've lost all inhibitions, and we're sharing our deepest, darkest sexual fantasies," proclaimed Orophin. "Come, join us!"

"No, thank you," declined Haldir, but Orophin did not let go.

"Oh, you don't need to share your fantasies with us," Orophin said. "It probably has something to do with Legolas doing some sort of twisty pretzel thing, and that's not much different from any other day for him, so it's not much of a fantasy." Orophin tightened his grip around Haldir's legs.

"You really have lost your inhibitions," Haldir said, looking around to the other three, who were laughing and snorting, and continuing to smoke. Ever the big brother, he untangled himself from Orophin and sat down between his brothers, at the center of the group. "What is this pretzel nonsense?"

"Twisty pretzel nonsense, and it's because Mirkwood Elves are so flexible, everyone knows that," Orophin said. "Oh!" he added, tapping Valarda's arm. "We could get Legolas, do the twisty pretzel thing! He could teach us, most likely you. I'm not quite as flexible as you are."

"He doesn't do a twisty anything," corrected Haldir, regretting he had for surely it could not make things better.

"Have you asked him?" questioned Orophin. "I for one believe he could come up with a twisty pretzel thing even if he does not know how to do one now."

Rumil cleared his throat, though he may just have been coughing on the smoke, and said, "Funny you should say that... something I've always wanted to do is draw... " he trailed off, a blush overtaking his pale face.

"Spit it out," demanded Nenniach. "I went first, don't you dare bow out."

"I'd like to draw him, but with you, and with... " his eyes wandered around to Valarda, after which he added, "Without any clothes. You know, naked and bare skinned and such."

Orophin snorted. "Well, I've no problem with it. I honestly don't think Legolas knows what to do with an elleth, so I think my wife is safe." Celebrian snickered and laughed, and ended up leaning against her husband with her shoulders shaking. "What? What did I say?"

Celebrian tried to explain, waving one arm around off to the side as she giggled and cackled and had to hang onto Elrond with her other arm so that she would not topple over. Finally Elrond tapped his pipe upside down to the ground and squashed the contents with the toe of his boot. "Say goodnight, Ria," he said, picking his wife up in his arms.

"Goodnight, Ria!" she managed to snort before her laughter rose up again. Smirking, Elrond nodded his head to the others as he walked to the house, swaying a bit here and again there as he went.

"Next time we get him to smoke AND drink," grinned Orophin once his sister and brother-in-law were inside the house.

Rumil tapped his wife's arm. "You, Valarda, and Legolas. I know I can get them to do it," he added.

"I suppose that sort of drawing would be nice," said Nenniach with a smile, "but I would want what I mentioned earlier, if I agree to your little art project."

The two youngest brothers chuckled glancing up at the eldest, and Haldir, looking most uncomfortable dared to ask, "What was mentioned earlier?"

"She said when it comes to looks, it is difficult to choose between the three of us, so she'd liked to have had the chance to, well, try us all out, as it were," said Rumil. Haldir's jaw dropped and his eyes bulged slightly, but Rumil merely shrugged it off. "Not like it would really happen."

"Damn right it won't!" answered Haldir.

"Halli! We're just goofing around. We're bonding as a group, growing stronger by knowing these little secrets," explained Rumil.

"And, it's a damn fine and entertaining way to pass the time. What fun are secrets if you've no one to share them with?" questioned Orophin. "Besides, Nenniach's said she'd settle for just a sketch of the three of us standing aroudn naked or something like that, we just need to find an artist. Come, Haldir, what do you dream of?"

Haldir looked around and began to stand. "I'm going to bed," he said, but was pulled back down by his brothers, one on each side.

"I think," said Orophin, looping his arms around one of Haldir's, "that you think some very naughty things. Things you think are very wrong to think about."

"I would like to go to bed," stated Haldir firmly. "Please, let go of me."

Rumil snaked his arms around his eldest brother. "We shared ours," he pouted. "We want to know what you dream about."

"No."

"Please?" Rumil continued to pout, putting his chin up on Haldir's shoulder. "Please, please, please, please, please, please-"

Haldir grabbed the pipe hanging loosely in Nenniach's hand before shoving his brothers off of him. "I'm going to bed. Good night." Turning sharply, he went back to the house.

"He's not much fun anymore," sighed Rumil, leaning against Orophin.

Orophin looked over his shoulder at the retreating figure. "I'll have to work on that."

- - -

To avoid the stench of the pipe weed as everyone came back into the house and dropped themselves off in the parlor to sleep off the effects, Haldir took up temporary residence that night on the other side of the house. In the morning, deciding that the smell was still too strong, he stayed in the southern half of the house mostly trying to make something to eat from what little he could find in the pristine kitchen.

"There you are!" Orophin strolled into the room, observing it really for the first time since the addition had been finished. "Nice. We'll have to eat over here on occasion."

"Are you sober this morning?" questioned Haldir, keeping an eye on the water he was boiling for coffee.

Orophin narrowed his eyes playfully and leaned against the doorway. "Oh, come off it. I wish you would relax and enjoy things. For a while you do, and then your high and mighty side takes over. Why couldn't you just admit what you want last night?"

"Admit what?" questioned Haldir.

"That you are smitten with someone in this house and think she is unattainable. If you would have said something last night-"

"-Elrond would have killed me."

The finger Orophin had been pointing emphatically at Haldir waved aimlessly for a moment, and then grew limp and curled back with the rest. "Not necessarily. He was under the influence."

"Then he would have laughed and killed me." Haldir held up a hand as he began to make his coffee. "It's worse than if it would have been Arwen. He has three children here in Valinor; he only has one grandchild. If he was protective of Arwen, he's ten times more so of Elodien."

Orophin stomped over to Haldir, looking down at him. Haldir stood a little straighter and glared right back. "If you don't tell him, I will," threatened the younger."

"No, you will not," answered Haldir. He turned away, trying to ignore his brother as he set to his task.

"Dammit, Halli," whined Orophin. He gave a tug on his sleeve to get his attention once more. "Halli, he has to understand she has to be with someone, why not you? You like her, she seems to be able to tolerate you, just go tell her. How is it that what he thinks matters?"

Stepping away, Haldir growled, "Orophin, you're like a mutt in heat when you do that. Go pester someone else, I'm tired of this."

Orophin sighed and hung his head. Then, a moment later, he was practically hanging off of Haldir's side. "Hal-li!"

"Aiya, Oro, damn you!" Haldir spilt the bowl of sugar over them both before shoving his brother away. "What in the name of all that is unholy possessed you to do that?" he demanded.

"I was trying to cheer you up!" Orophin defended himself.

"By humping my leg?!"

"Wasn't humping your leg," pouted Orophin. "That was a pouncing."

"Pounce my ass! You were humping my leg!" he shouted at him.

There was a sudden noise at the doorway. Elrond cleared his throat, with a look that could only be described as terrified amusement on his face. "I... didn't mean to interrupt," he apologized. "Just wanted to mention we have company." Swiftly, he retreated.

Haldir turned slowly to Orophin with a murderous look. "How about I go tell him now, hmm?" he asked, brushing the sugar off of his pants. "Do you think he'd react favorably?"

"Maybe if you get the sugar out of your hair, too," suggested Orophin. When he was glared at again, he merely grinned in return, and backed up toward the doorway before sliding out.

Looking in disgust at the ruined coffee, for most of the sugar had found its way into the cup, he began to clean up the mess as Orophin scurried back into the room, wearing a very serious look.

"What now, Oro?" But before the words could quite reach Orophin's ears, he hopped up onto Haldir again, arms around Haldir's shoulders and one leg wrapped up around his. "Oro!"

"Oh, my." At the door stood another elf, this one trying his best not to smile as Orophin jumped off of a mortified Haldir. "I had no idea you were... into that sort of thing, Orophin," said Glorfindel, stepping carefully into the room.

"That was a pounce," he said pointedly.

Haldir, a washrag in his hand, lashed it out at Orophin's shoulder. "Knock it off, or I'll have you gelded."

"Right, as if you could," shot back Orophin as he scooted over to the door. To Glorfindel, he said, "I pounced him!"

"Whatever you say," shrugged Glorfindel. "It looked to me as if you were humping his leg." Erestor chose this moment to enter the room, and entered it with a confused expression.

"Dare I ask, what appeared as if..." Deciding the word was just much too inappropriate to use, Erestor left it at that.

"This." Orophin launched himself at Erestor, who did not have the time to dodge out of the way, and was subject to the same treatment Haldir had been.

"Ai! Get it off, get it off!" he shoved at Orophin as Glorfindel grabbed hold of the young elf's collar and yanked him away.

"Get your own advisor, this one's already taken," Glorfindel said.

"I only pounced him!" Orophin stomped his foot and sighed as Glorfindel moved protectively in front of a wary Erestor. Haldir stood at the counter, watching him cautiously. Orophin shrugged. "Fine. I'll go pounce someone who will appreciate a good pouncing!" he announced as he left.

- - -

"Wait, you pounced Erestor!" Valarda picked up a pillow and began to pummel her husband. "You pounced him and I didn't get to see it? Oh, you-"

"Ah, ah. Call me names, and I won't tell you how it led to that."

Valarda rested back on her side of the couch again. "Fine. Tell me what happened."

Orophin grinned and began to recall the story. By the time he had finished, Valarda was propped up on her elbows, eying him slyly. "What?"

"What, what? What in Arda were you doing to make them think you were humping them?" Valarda asked.

"Well I-" Orophin grinned mischievously. "I could... should you, and you could give me your opinion."

Valarda returned the grin. "Please do."
Squysh by Zhie
"Ada!" Elladan burst into the kitchen and nearly pounced his father, hugging him fiercely. "Thank you so much! I never thought you'd let us get one, but I'm so glad you changed your mind!" He even kissed his father's cheek before rushing back out of the room. Elrohir entered shortly afterward.

"She's perfect! Cutest one I've ever seen! Thank you, Adar!" Elrohir hugged Elrond with such excitement he nearly choked him before leaving.

Across the table, Haldir raised a brow. "What did you do, rent an elleth for them?" Celebrian kicked her brother under the table as Celebdreth skidded into the room.

"I can't believe it!" he exclaimed. "Decades and decades, I didn't think it would happen. Thank you, Uncle!"

"Two elleths?" guessed Orophin as Celebdreth left. Celebrian glared and narrowed her eyes at her other brother, who was too far away to kick. "Well, whatever it is, I want one!" he announced, looking to Elrond.

"I have no idea what it is they have found," he said, wiping his mouth as he stood from the table. "I'm sure whatever it is, they are not supposed to have it."

Orophin nodded knowingly. "You're right. All of your presents are boring ones. With the way they were grinning, most definitely could not have been you." Ignoring the look of death he was being given by his brother-in-law, Orophin looked to his sister. "What did you get them?"

"Me? Nothing!" she defended. "It was probably you," she accused, pointing her finger. "Or you," she added, motioning to Haldir. He pointed to himself, giving her an innocent look. "Oh, don't do that, you sent them all the worst gifts – swords, bows –"

"Worst gifts? Every elf should have a sword! Even Nana... well, maybe she shouldn't have had one..." Haldir amended.

"They were nine!" shouted Celebrian as Elrond left the room.

"What? They were small swords-"

"They were huge!"

Elrond was only a pace from the parlor when Orophin touched his shoulder, nearly causing him to jump. "Are we spying on them?"

The Peredhel ground his teeth. "Only a little."

"And are we going to take their new toy away from them and make them all cry?" he asked, making a pouting face.

"Possibly," he replied after a few moments.

"Excellent." Orophin rubbed his hands together. "Soon as you do it, I'm getting them a half-dozen of whatever it is. Can't pass up a chance to assert my position as the favorite uncle."

Sighing and shaking his head, Elrond turned to enter the parlor again, but was stopped as a shoe was tossed through the open doorway. This was followed by shouts of encouragement, and then a large, furry dog racing out of the room, retrieving the shoe, and racing back, without paying any attention to Elrond or Orophin.

"Oh, this is too easy!" Orophin said delightfully. "You take away their dog, and then I'll go get them six or seven puppies!" Orophin grinned at Elrond's horrified look.

"No. Puppies," he nearly snarled at Orophin. "And no dogs, either." He marched back into the kitchen, pushing the door open with one hand, but so hard that it whacked into the wall around the corner. "Which of you did it?"

"Did what?" asked Haldir from over his mug of coffee.

"There is a dog in my house. My house," he emphasized. "There are only two elves I know of who would have the gall to put one here. Obviously you, because you know you're the only one I would never consider throwing out of the house," he said to an amused Celebrian, "and you, because you're the one who put the damned flamingos in here, and Valarda told me you put a goat in her talan or some such nonsense."

"First, the goat – I'm fairly sure that was Thandronen who got it up into her talan, and I think it was a dairy cow, not a goat," he added, trying hard not to smirk. "Second, if it had been me, I'd have gone with a bunch of puppies instead." To this, Orophin hit Elrond's shoulder with the back of his hand and gave him a `told you so' look. "Third, I was acting under orders with the flamingos. My father told me to put them into the house."

Crossing his arms, Elrond said, "And if your father told you to jump off a bridge-"

"And if your father told you to get rid of a dog," interrupted Celebrian, "after he had told you for years and years that you could not have one, would you do it?"

"Oh, that was good, Clebri!" commended Orophin. "What have you to say to that?" he asked in a taunting manner.

Closing his eyes, Elrond rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Well. I suppose a dog isn't too much trouble. Besides, it's not my slippers or my stuffed rabbit she'll be chewing on."

Haldir blinked once before standing up. "Perhaps I should speak with them." Orophin snickered and turned his back to them to try to hide some of his laughter. "Stuff it, Oro," he said as he passed by.

Rumil, however, entered the room. "Has anyone seen the dog that was on the beach last night?"

Elrond turned his attention to the youngest of the brothers. "Did you let it in here?"

"No," Rumil said quickly. Scratching his neck as he blushed slightly, he said, "I may have left the door open and put a plate of table scraps by the door and a warm blanket in a pile in a corner and called to her a few times last night before going to bed, but-"

"Ai, Elbereth!" Throwing his arms in the air, Elrond stepped again toward the door as Celeborn walked in.

Looking around, he ventured a wary, "Good morning," as he made he way to the table, weaving through those who were standing. He began to select fruit from the tray as he asked, "Has anyone seen that dog that was wandering around earlier?"

"Am I the last to know everything?" Elrond asked of Celebrian as she suppressed a laugh and moved next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"And we shall keep it that way!" decided Orophin.

Biting into an apple, Celeborn chewed and then said, "So, you were not the one to lure her in here?" His eyes fell to Orophin.

"Why me? Why always me?"

"Well..." Haldir shrugged. "I thought it was you. You just happen to have this reputation..."

"Has anyone ever noticed how few times it actually is me?" Orophin wondered aloud. "And never is it `Poor Orophin, we wrongfully blamed him yet AGAIN', no, never that."

"At least with the tags, perhaps we'll find out to whom she belongs," spoke Celeborn.

"I'm sorry, tags?" asked Elrond.

Celeborn nodded. "On her collar. Just her name, but it's unusual enough for us to have some chance of tracking down her owner."

"Her name, on a collar that her owner would have put on her," Elrond concluded with more than a little excitement. "Well, my spirits are certainly brightened," he decided with a smile. "I'm so happy I could practically kiss you, but, uhm, no," he said quickly. Instead, he kissed his wife's cheek, before happily leaving the room, whistling as he went.

"So little to keep him happy," joked Orophin as the door swung gently shut.

"Plus, an adventure for us," said Rumil. "To track down the owner of the mystery dog."

"Oh, I know whose dog it is," said Celeborn. "Best to just let him figure things out, it will give him something to do."

"And we doubt where Orophin gets it from for what reason...?" Rumil whispered to Haldir.

Haldir chuckled. "Well, there goes your adventure, Rumil."

"On the contrary," spoke up Orophin. "We have a new mission before us. To find a pack of puppies!" Smiling mischievously, he added, "If that's what one does, we have got to see what a dozen or so would do."
Hidden Heroes by Zhie
"Now, at first," explained Glorfindel, "Erestor hated the poem. At least, he said he hated it. But about thirty years later, he had written music for it, and then we had another version of it for Lindir that was more repetitive with less detail."

"I have heard many a lament of myself," answered the elf who sat on the couch beside Elrond, "but that seems one of the more accurate. Tell me, though, Glorfindel, why is it necessary to say that my sword was long? If it were not long, would it not be a knife?"

The back of Erestor's hand smacked Glorfindel's shoulder. "See? What did I tell you?"

Glorfindel was about to defend his work until he saw another elf at the doorway. "Rumil, good morning to you!"

Briefly, Rumil nodded back, glancing around the room for something. "Ah, good morning," he answered, and quickly walked to a table where his drawing pad and various other tools sat.

"You look as if you're on a mission this morning," remarked Erestor as Rumil hastily scooped everything up.

"Yes, well, Nenniach finally agreed to... something we discussed, as did Valarda, and Legolas just stopped by, so I must catch them all before they find something else to do today." With that, he hurried out of the room.

"He's not one of mine," Elrond said quickly, motioning toward the doorway that Rumil had disappeared through, having spent most of the morning proudly talking about his brood. "Although, he is my brother- in-law."

"He's my son-in-law," spoke up Erestor, "technically."

"Cousin," admitted Glorfindel.

The fourth elf nodded. "Yes, I can see that."

Elrond and Erestor chuckled while Glorfindel attempted to pout a bit, but they were interrupted as Orophin rushed in. "Where could it be..." he mumbled as he walked aimlessly through the room.

"Orophin, good day to you. Perhaps you'd like to join us for a moment," offered Glorfindel.

"No time. There are two naked elleths and a naked elf up in my room, and I need something heavy to drape over- ah, there it is," he said, yanking a heavy quilt off of the back of the rocker. "Perhaps this afternoon," he called over his shoulder as he left.

"Brother of the first," Elrond said carefully as the elf watched Orophin leave, raising a brow just slightly.

"Didn't you tell me your wife had three brothers?" asked the elf warily.

"Yes. The third, the eldest is the one who has been taking care of your dog," explained Elrond.

"Unlike the other two," spoke Erestor, "he is more disciplined. I like to blame it on the fact I did not have... help... during his secondary education." He turned his head to the left, giving Glorfindel an accusing look.

"Meh," he answered, conceding defeat.

Elrond stood up. "Would you like to see Squysh? I assure you, she has been well taken care of."

"Yes, I would like that very much," replied the elf, standing as well. "I truly need to find a new herder, though," he said. "A sheepdog who runs away isn't much help- especially one who does it once a week."

"She is outside in the gardens with Haldir and Elodien," Elrond said, leading the elf from the room.

"Provided she hasn't run off again," added the other.

They walked past the kitchen and the elf stepped inside for a moment. "Dearest, I'm going to be outside for a bit."

"Alright, love," replied a cheerful elleth who sat across from Celebrian and her infant elfling, Vilya. The elf stepped a little further in upon seeing the babe, and smiled down at her before leaving with Elrond. "He is going to spoil your daughter rotten," said the elleth, whose name was rather long and hard to pronounce, and thus everyone simply called her Sinaryn.

"She's spoiled enough as it is," said Celebrian. "She hardly spends time in her cradle, everyone is always holding her."

"Truly nothing wrong with that," Sinaryn told her. "She is well loved."

"And well spoiled!" Celebrian laughed.

Sinaryn grinned as she rose from the table. "I'm going to fetch myself another glass of milk. Would you like one?" she asked.

"Oh, no thank you," answered Celebrian with a crinkled nose. "Honestly, I hate it and avoid it."

"All of it?" questioned Sinaryn, pouring herself a glass from the pitcher on the counter. Although goat milk was the prominent drink of choice at the house, since Glorfindel and Erestor had taken up residence further down the beach, they had acquired a dairy cow. Glorfindel despised the taste of goat anything, and so every few days a surplus was brought by them to the First Homely House. Celebrian shook her head in the negative. "Well, sweetie, that isn't much good for the little one," she said carefully. "Not that I'm questioning your choice, but for her sake it might be a good idea."

"I tried, but I keep spitting it out. It tastes so vile to me," Celebrian said.

Sinaryn stood up again. "Do you have a little chocolate somewhere?"

Celebrian nodded. "Up in those cabinets. My Gran-nan Lhunerin is a confectioner, so she sends us treats on occasion."

Opening the cabinet, Sinaryn found a block wrapped in a cloth that smelled sweetly. She took it down and set it upon the counter, unfolding the cloth from it as she searched a drawer for a sharp knife.

"What are you going to do?" asked Celebrian.

"You'll see. Rather, you'll taste," giggled Sinaryn. A few minutes later, she brought over a tall glass of light brown liquid. "The best is if you can find a good, hollow cinnamon stick. Then, when you stick it in, you can blow bubbles into the chocolate milk to stir it up."

"Oh! We have some of those, right over in that jar," Celebrian said with delight as she tried a sip of the drink. "Sinaryn! This is heavenly! Can I adopt you?"

Sinaryn laughed as she handed the cinnamon to Celebrian, and took Vilya into her arms. "Now, blow gently with it, otherwise you'll get it all over."

Celebrian did, and laughed merrily after watching the bubbling foam float across the top of the glass. "Where do you come up with such ideas?"

"Married to someone who once ruled one of the largest realms in Arda and headed whole armies into dangerous battles, one needs to come up with a few things to break up the monotony of being a shepherd every now and then," she smiled.

- - -

"Did you ever have a dog when you were an elfling?" questioned Elodien as she threw another stick to Squysh. The dog bounded after it, her shaggy fur flopping around this way and that as she skidded around to where the stick had landed and snapped at the ground for it.

"Not until I was in the guard, and then I had hunting dogs here and there. I had a cat once, when I was four or five. I brought him in and tried to keep him secret, but Celebrian found him and told on me," Haldir said, recalling the memory. "I was allowed to keep him, but I had such a difficult time when he died, so I didn't have any other pets after that. Just horses, and hunting hounds, which really aren't pets."

He paused as Squysh returned the stick and took it from her, flinging it back out again. "I take that back," he said suddenly. "There was one other time, but I don't know if it counts. It wasn't for very long."

"Tell me about it," said Elodien. "Please?" she begged when he did not answer.

"It was in Gondor, right at the time of the marriage of your parents. We were there for the event, and as part of it, Arwen devised a game. It was a treasure hunt, something of the sorts her brothers would come up with for her when she was a child. Her idea was that everyone would mingle and get to know one another, the different races. Men and women put their names in a sack, and elves or hobbits or the dwarf as he just came to be known," Haldir said with a smirk about Gimli, "would choose a name. I wasn't going to play, but Orophin pushed me into doing it, and thus I spent two days scouring the city with Lady Eowyn."

"Oh! I knew her!" exclaimed Elodien joyfully. "I am not ashamed to admit that I had great respect for her, and that I very much wanted to be like her."

"I think you are," said Haldir, a little shyly. "She was a vibrant woman once the war ended and her duty to her country fulfilled by her standards. I would wager she was meant to be a queen; she would have ruled Rohan most fairly, though do not mistake me, her brother was noble as well. There was always a sadness about her, though. As if no matter how hard she tried, she always felt she was never quite given the due she was deserved, and yet, she was a proud warrior and never once spoke ill of it. Valarda knew her a little better, they became close. I think the only time I saw Valarda brought to tears in public was when Elrond gave her the news of Eowyn's passing."

"But," he continued, "we were discussing a puppy."

"Ah, yes," remembered Elodien. "I just love your stories so, I forget what my questions were." She edged a little closer on the bench to him as Squysh rolled in the grass. "So, you and Eowyn were on a treasure hunt."

"Yes. We were on a treasure hunt, and the last item on the list was 'Palantir'. Now, it was a joke, no one was actually expected to find one. Except, Eowyn would not relent. So we tried to come up with other possibilities of what to do as we roamed the streets, and turned the corner to find a small boy selling pups. He had two left and was trying to find someone who would buy them both. One of them was named Palantir. It was good enough for her, and she paid for them on the spot, handing me the one that was not Palantir and telling me it was a gift for putting up with listening to all of her troubles over the course of our search."

"But you didn't keep it?" questioned Elodien.

"I thought it better that both of them grow up together," Haldir lied. "But I had matching collars fashioned for them, and she seemed to delight in all of it. Lord Faramir took a liking to them as well, so it worked out for the best."

"Squysh!" a commanding voice called out from behind them. Haldir and Elodien turned, and the elf nearly fell off of his seat as the sheepdog romped over to her owner.

Elrond smirked as Haldir almost tripped over himself standing up and walking to them. "Haldir, I would like to introduce you to-"

"No introduction needed," he said in awe, and bowed low. "My lord, this is the greatest honor."

The elf blinked and turned to Elrond. "Are you sure he's related to those other two I met inside?" Elrond shrugged a little in a jesting way. "Haldir, there is no need for such formality."

"My granddaughter, Elodien," said Elrond, referring to the elleth who curtseyed.

"As Haldir has said, it is an honor." She bowed her head as she spoke, but the elf chuckled and took hold of her hand, kissing the back of it.

Not letting go of Elodien's hand, and then placing one around Haldir's shoulder, the elf led them back to the bench. "Please, I had enough bowing and reverence when I was alive the first time. A simple nod of the head does well for me these days, and I shall return it. I thank you for taking care of my dog, rascal that she is." Squysh flopped down on the grass, rolling onto her back with her legs in the air. Her owner shook his head at the sight.

"I apologize then, for any offense-"

"Haldir, please." The elf smiled. "Elrond has told me much about you, and the stories he would tell you about me. As long as I'm here because of my runaway, I thought I might indulge you in a bit of storytelling, if you have the time for it."

"Anytime," Haldir replied enthusiastically. Elodien grinned at Elrond, who smiled back, and motioned for her to come walk with him. When they were alone, Haldir said, "I can't believe I've finally met you."

Still smiling, the elf said, "I have a few hours before my wife and I journey back home. You are welcome to visit us, if there are other tales you wish to hear that I cannot tell you before noonday comes. For now, what is it that you would most like me to tell you about?"

"Everything," Haldir finally said, unable to unjumble his thoughts, and the elf chuckled heartily before starting as close to the beginning as he could remember.
This One's For the Girls by Zhie
"I love summer."

"I love summer more."

"I love summer most."

"I love--" Celebrían was halted from having to attempt something more than most. "Oh, that. That I love. Right there." Unconsciously she licked her lips as Elrond landed back on his feet after volleying the ball over the net. Orophin made a valiant attempt at hitting it as he jumped into the air, and Rúmil tried his best to save the game as he dove, sliding into the sand and unfortunately sending the ball bounding off toward the audience.

Ordinarily, Valarda would have participated in the sport, but when Elrond appeared that morning on the porch taking a mild interest in the activity on the beach, Celebrían rushed to where her brothers and Valarda were setting up the game net and begged the red head to sit out today. Elrond smiled and did not hesitate when Haldir waved him over as Valarda strolled off with Celebrían.

Picking up the ball as it rolled to her feet, Elodien glanced at her grandmother and said, "Odd as it sounds, I have to concur with you."

"Elodien!" hissed Valarda. "Eyes on the guys!"

Elodien quickly looked back to see Haldir taking a long drink from the wineskin that had been propped against the nearer pole of the net. A collective sigh resounded from all of the ladies. Moments later, Orophin tried to swipe the water from his brother, succeeding only in spilling some down the front of Haldir's shirt. His second attempt found them fighting over the wineskin, water splashing about.

"No, Rúmil! Bad!" Nenniach said as she watched her husband calm the two combatants. As soon as Rúmil's back was turned, Orophin, who had gained control of the wineskin, turned it upside down over his little brother's head. Clapping her hand over her mouth to keep her grin covered, eyes wide and feigning concern, she said, "Thank you, Orophin."

Valarda snorted and Celebrían bowed her head to laugh. Elodien nodded her approval to this, too. She looked at Haldir, who was standing and pointing at Rúmil, chuckling with Elrond as Orophin scuttled off grinning madly. Being the closest, Haldir was pounced by Rúmil and knocked to the ground.

"Oh, they're going to ruin their clothes if they keep this up," scolded Nenniach as she stood up.

"Excellent idea!" Valarda agreed slyly. "Naked elf watching. Tell my Orophin to take off his clothes while you're at it. He'll do it, too!"

Nenniach's jaw dropped, but she recovered quickly. "I am not asking for all of his clothes, only his tunic."

Standing Valarda said, "I bet I can get Orophin to take off more clothes with less words."

"I don't doubt it," laughed Nenniach as the pair walked off in the direction of the game. As they approached, the dark haired elleth put two fingers in her mouth and gave a shrill whistle, stopping the brawl that was about to begin had they not interrupted. As the elves scrambled to right themselves, Nenniach pointed at Rúmil's sand- stained tunic. "I'm here to take that before you ruin it."

Grumbling a bit, Rúmil pulled his tunic over his head and handed it to Nenniach as Valarda held out a hand to Orophin. "You, too," she said, adding, "And the pants."

"Why?" demanded Orophin, but he was already untying the string that held them up.

"Because I said so," Valarda kissed her husband after he had tossed his tunic and his pants over her arm.

Rúmil's brows were high above his eyes. "You wear red underwear?"

Orophin held up a hand. "Allow me to briefly explain myself." He struck a sensual pose and gave Valarda a pout, to which she smiled predatorily. "I look exceptional in red."

"Quite exceptional, you sexy thing," remarked Valarda.

Frowning, Rúmil pulled his leggings down and flung them in his own wife's direction. "I do well enough without fancy bright colors to lure my lady." He sauntered over to Nenniach, who hid her surprise well as he gripped her wrist and pulled her into his arms, crushing her against him as he sought out her lips with his.

"Oh, please, I can do much better." Orophin marched to Valarda, took hold of his clothes and threw them to the ground. She was in his embrace and then dipped low to the ground as he imitated a passionate kiss.

"Aiya, Elbereth!" Celebrían fanned herself with her hand as she watched her sister-in-law return. "I can so easily forget they are my brothers and just enjoy the view."

Elodien's mouth was gaping now, and Celebrían laughed. "He's disappointed, you know."

"Who?" asked Elodien casually, studying the fabric of her leggings.

"Who? Ha!" Celebrían shook her head. "The one you've been staring at."

"I'm not staring, I'm glancing," she defended.

"Ah, perhaps that is why he is disappointed."

"Is it? I mean-"

"He's been watching you, too. Wait, don't look!" But Celebrían's warning came too late, and Elodien caught Haldir's gaze for a moment before he looked away. "Mmm. Well, he probably assumes you know now."

"Know what?"

Celebrían slid off of the log onto the sand where Elodien sat. "He watches you. All of the time." Placing a hand on Elodien's head and stroking her hair, she said, "In the morning, in the afternoon. In the evening he watches you, follows your moves, tries to be near you. When you sleep, he listens for your nightmares, and calls me when you cry out."

"Why doesn't he come to me?" asked Elodien, her heart speeding. "His room is closer. When I was a child in Gondor when he lived there, he would sometimes come to comfort me at night."

"He does not think it proper, not now. He loved your mother very much, but he has confided in me that he believes he loves you now. It is a difficult transition for him. He does not dare make the initial move because he does not want you to think…" Celebrían sighed. "What do you think?"

"I think I might-I know I like him an awful lot. Just look at him, how can you not like him?"

Haldir was currently indulging his brothers in a game of keep away, which he was losing until Elrond stepped in and merely raised his arm to knock the ball down.

"Come on," insisted Celebrían. She stood up and took hold of Elodien's hands to help her up and then brushed the sand off of her granddaughter's tunic. They stepped in the direction of the elves, but stopped just as Nenniach and Valarda approached.

"Nine words," replied Nenniach, to which Valarda added, "We tied."

"We'll do better." Taking hold of Elodien's hand to keep her moving along, Celebrían shook her head as she came to Elrond and said, "Off with it, I'm not mending them later." With a smug smile she took hold of the fabric that tied his loosening shirt closed and pulled it slowly open. Sliding her hands up Elrond's chest through soft dark hair, she placed her hands on his shoulders and pushed his sweat soaked shirt down his back.

Quite blatantly, Celebrían forced her tongue between Elrond's lips and hooked her thumbs into the top of his leggings. Bending her knees as she pulled the pants down, she kissed a short path down Elrond's chest and then coaxed him to pull his feet out of his leggings. Completely aware of the game the wives were playing with their husbands, Elrond indulged his love and reached out to stroke her ears with a wicked smile. Slinging his pants and shirt over her shoulder she kept her eyes on Elrond and simply said, "Elodien?"

Dumbly, Elodien stepped up to Haldir and opened her mouth, but no words came out. She closed her mouth and swallowed and was about to try again, but her eyes darted to her grandparents who were kissing more passionately than she had even ever seen her parents kiss. Snickers from Orophin and Rúmil turned her head to look back again at Haldir, and she would have likely pardoned herself and gone back to the house or to where Nenniach and Valarda were sitting except that she suddenly felt something soft and warm pushed against her hand.

Blinking in surprise, her fingers closed around the shirt Haldir had just removed, and she held out her other hand to take the pants she was offered next. After she had arranged the clothing across one arm, her free hand was taken. Haldir lifted Elodien's hand to his lips and after softly placing a kiss on her palm, said, "Hannon le."

Able to do little more than nod, Elodien stumbled back a few steps before Celebrían came to her side and took her by the arm. The pair walked back to the other two ladies while the elves resumed their game on the beach.

"I can't believe it!" Valarda nudged Nenniach as the other two elleths approached. "Did Hirband Arabeleg just show a public display of affection? Intentionally?"

"Who?" Elodien cursed her lack of knowledge of the elvish languages. Life as a peredhel could be quite frustrating at times, and her inability to presently communicate with so many of the elves in Valinor was the most upsetting of all.

"Haldir. I call him Hirband Arabeleg, Orophin named him that," Valarda explained. "Hirband means he's the Captain, Arabeleg translates to something more of a Westron phrasing. Means 'high and mighty'."

"Oh." Elodien sat down with Haldir's clothes in her lap. "That's not meant in a nice way, is it?"

"Now it is. Sort of," said Valarda with a shrug. "I think he liked it. I think he still does, in all honesty. It's more accurate than his birth name."

"What does Haldir mean?" questioned Elodien as she began to fold the shirt in her lap.

"Tall watcher," said Valarda as Celebrían said, "Hidden hero."

"It's a matter of preference," Nenniach said with a laugh when Elodien did a double take between the others.

Neatly folding Haldir's pants and placing them atop his shirt, Elodien flipped the pile over and glanced up to see what was going on down the beach. The two teams had switched sides, and with Haldir and Elrond having their backs turned to the ladies as they concentrated on the game, Elodien boldly took hold of the sleeve from Haldir's shirt and lifted it slightly as she bent her head.

"Smells good, doesn't he?"

Elodien jumped slightly, having not noticed that Nenniach and Valarda had moved down from their log and were sitting on either side of her. "I don't… I wasn't…" Realizing she wasn't about to fool either of these ellith, she bowed her head and nodded it.

"He's unusually particular about being neat and clean. Comes from so many days spent in the muck and grime of the fences," said Valarda.

"I'm neat," responded Elodien, refolding the shirt on her lap.

"He's very emotional. Mood swings. He can change his entire outlook on something and his views of it. Like that." Nenniach snapped her fingers.

Elodien shrugged. "Mother said that father used to have a bit of a temper sometimes, but that he settled down once he married."

"Married…" mused Valarda, glancing around Elodien to Nenniach, and the peredhel cringed when she repeated what she had said in her head.

"I only meant-"

"If you are serious," Celebrían said as she placed a hand on Elodien's shoulder, "you must know now there are some who will fully support you, and there are some who absolutely will not."

Nenniach nodded solemnly. "It will be our jobs to convince that second group to join the first group."

"It will be your job to love him." Valarda paused. "And try to keep him out of trouble."

Blushing, Elodien said, "I think I might have the more enjoyable task."

"Debatable…" answered Valarda as she looked toward the beach, where whatever had happened was causing Haldir to run toward the surf with the ball under one arm while his brothers chased him. Elrond was making half an attempt to catch up to the group and assist Haldir, but gave up when he was fairly certain Rúmil was going to catch Haldir. Orophin, noticing he was no longer being chased, turned around and headed back around to get Elrond. The former elf lord's eyes were on Haldir and Rúmil, and he missed seeing Orophin until he was brought down into the surf.

"I keep meaning to ask," said Valarda, glancing around to Celebrían, "how far down does that hair on his chest go?" She nodded in Elrond's direction. "It's just a curiosity I've had. Does it just stop at his waist, or…?"

"It goes all the way down," grinned Celebrían. "It's very…" Her grin widened and she giggled. "It's another of those things I love."

"I see," nodded Valarda.

Waiting to see if anything more was to be said on that particular subject, Elodien asked, "The markings on Haldir's back… I recall seeing them a few times when I was a girl, but I did not know what they meant. I know it's a tree, but there's something else. It isn't something I have seen on any other elves."

"Ask Erestor if you can see his ankle," suggested Celebrían, "though his story, like Haldir's, is rather sad. From a distance, you think it to be a mallorn, but each of the leaves is the name of one of the soldiers he lost at the last battle he fought in. The lines of the trunk conceal the rest of the scars from his injury." Both Valarda and Nenniach had pained looks on their faces, so Celebrían stopped and said only, "I am sure he would tell you more if you asked."

Elodien was not so sure, not from the looks being exchanged by the other two ellith, and so returned to watching the elves on the beach.

Orophin stood up triumphantly, and smiled and winked in the direction of the ladies. Moments later, he was pulled back down as the elf below wrapped his arms around Orophin's legs and pulled him down. Meanwhile, Haldir came to the realization he was not going to outrun Rúmil, and so he held out the ball and kicked it away before Rúmil reached him. Wrapping his arms around Haldir's shoulders, Rúmil tipped him backwards into the waves.

The ellith watched the ball arch over the house, hit the roof, and bounce backwards into the gardens. "That's the end of that," Valarda said glumly as the elves in the water began to search for the ball.

"I'll go get it," said Elodien, setting the pile of clothes onto the log. She headed up the beach to go around the back of the house.

Out in the water, Haldir had been pushed back down into the tide again. This time, however, it was by his teammate. "Didn't you see which way you kicked it?"

"No!" Haldir crossed his arms where he sat and answered in a huff, "It might be back on its way to Middle earth, or it could be on the roof, or-"

"Let's ask my fan club." Orophin whistled and then shouted, "Val! Ball?"

Valarda waved her hand in the direction of the house, and then pantomimed the ball bouncing on the house and over it.

"There you are. Go get it," instructed Orophin, sitting down on the edge of the tide.

"Me?" Haldir stood and stomped out of the surf. "Sure, send me over to get it."

"You kicked it," Rúmil reminded him.

"You started it! You can't hit the ball more than once on your side without the other player hitting it in between!"

"Who cares, Halli?" Rúmil called to him as Haldir went off in search of the ball. "It's just a stupid game!"

"If it's just a stupid game, what am I wasting my time playing it for?" Haldir opted to go through the house to the side entrance to the garden despite the fact he was still dripping water here and there. He was fairly certain where he would find the ball, but he was not going to encircle the entire house to get to it. As he closed the side door behind him, he turned to find the ball was not quite where he expected it to be.

Elodien held the ball out to Haldir with both hands, nervously keeping it so close to herself that he had to step directly in front of her to retrieve it. When he did, Elodien quickly stepped up on her toes to kiss him. What was meant to be innocent was even more so as Haldir had unknowingly turned as he took the ball. He stopped his movement abruptly as he felt soft lips brush his cheek and turned back.

Feeling silly, stupid, and embarrassed, Elodien made to leave but Haldir took hold of her hand as the ball slipped from his. His opposite hand gently turned her face back to his. "You are very young to be doing that," he said.

Frowning slightly, Elodien wondered if perhaps her grandmother did not see what she thought she saw. "It was wrong of me to do such a thing. I am sorry."

"No, no, do not be sorry. That is not what I meant." Haldir bowed his head to collect his thoughts, finally looking at her once more. "You are kind and beautiful, but when I look at you, I see your mother in your eyes."

"Is that all that you see?" Elodien lifted the hand the held hers and kissed Haldir as he had her. "I see so much in your eyes. I see your pain and your suffering. I could be the one to alleviate your grief. I see you watch the little ones in their cribs and I know you wish you had one of your own. You give so much love, and take so little in return. I could be the one to hold you in the darkness. Let me be the one to love you." Again she kissed his hand and said, "Give me the chance to try. A chance to let you see more than the daughter of your lost love."

"I do see more. I see a beautiful and charming young elleth," said Haldir as he swept strands of brown and silver behind Elodien's ear. "I see my match in intelligence and wit, a fellow warrior and a peaceful soul." He took her face in both of his hands and said, "But there is more. I see curiosity, and I see caution. I see uncertainty and-" Haldir stopped and pulled back with his eyes wide and focused on her. Closing his mouth, he bent down quickly and picked up the ball and stood back up. He was biting his bottom lip and avoiding Elodien's eyes now. "Thank you for retrieving the ball for us." Hesitating slightly, he hurried away before Elodien could respond.

When Elodien finally came back to the front of the house, the elves were once again playing their game, however, Elrond and Haldir were now losing and both elves seemed frustrated. Celebrían looked up expectantly as Elodien sat down and straightened her tunic. "Well? How did it go back there?"

"How did what go?"

"How did what go? He couldn't have kicked the ball that far away," reasoned Valarda. "What happened? What was said?"

Nenniach laughed as Elodien blushed and looked skyward. "Forgive us, but life is slow here and this is greatly exciting."

"I… I don't really know what happened or what was…" Elodien paused and cringed as Haldir missed an easy shot at the ball. Elrond began to wave his arms at his teammate, but Haldir seemed to ignore him as he retrieved the ball. "Can we speak inside?" she asked Celebrían. "In private?" Celebrían nodded and led Elodien back to the house.

Shading her eyes, Valarda smirked as she watched Rúmil and Orophin do a little victory dance a few minutes later. "Ten to zero in favor of the team that never wins. I'd say whatever happened must have been very, very good."
Stargazing & Ginger Snaps by Zhie
"Here you are." Elrond crossed his arms and leaned against the doorway. "Still cooking."

"No, I'm baking," corrected Celebrian. She carefully moved to the counter with the steaming tray. "Remember how I used to bake all the time before I was pregnant?"

Elrond nodded slowly, and said, "But you've said you are tired more often than not and I should not complain if none of that happened for a while. Take note, I have not complained nor even brought up the subject."

"I've had a second wind," proclaimed Celebrian as she slid the cookies from the tray onto a cooling rack. "I suppose the fresh air and sunshine today did me more good than I could have imagined. I'm so glad Erestor wanted to take care of the little ones for the day. He's around here somewhere, but I've not the chance to thank him yet."

"Maybe we should take him up on his offer more often, Ria. You know how good he has always been with elflings, and he was stuck alone with none but Glorfindel all those years in Imladris. I would have gone mad, I do not know how Erestor kept from sending him to Mandos a second time."

"Oh, stop that. You loved Glorfindel being around."

"Everyone loves Glorfindel. In moderation."

Celebrian considered this and said, "I suppose you do have a point. Would you see if there is any milk left downstairs?"

Crossing the room, Elrond stopped to wrap one arm around Celebrian's waist while he pushed back the curtain of golden hair that hung down her back. He nuzzled the back of her neck, breathing in her sweet scent. "If having Erestor take the children away for the day allows me more days like this one, I shall seriously have to think of appointing him Official Elfling Watcher of the First Homely House of Valinor." He kissed her gently before letting her hair fall back into place and going down into the kitchen pantry.

"I'd watch out for that one, I think he's trying to seduce you," said a voice that was quite serious from the doorway.

"I'll keep that in mind," replied Celebrian to Orophin as he wandered over to the counter. She took a step toward the pantry and kicked the door shut before glancing at the door to the kitchen to make sure no one else was there. "I need you to do me a favor," she said quietly. Orophin nodded as he picked up one of the peanut butter cookies and bit into it. "I need you to get Haldir down here. Don't tell him to come into here exactly, just get him to walk past."

Orophin looked at the other side of the counter, where ginger snaps were piled up on a plate. "I see that you're part of the `Haldir Needs to Get Laid Club', too."

Slapping his shoulder, Celebrian handed him two more peanut butter cookies with her other hand. "Go! Elodien's gone to sit in the garden and watch the stars, but I do not know how long she'll be there."

"Consider it done!" Orophin bounded out of the room and up the stairs when he got to the hallway. Moments later, the door to the pantry was pushed open and Elrond emerged holding a large pitcher of milk.

Sniffing at it, he set it down on the table. "I think this is from yesterday, but it is very cold. I hope it isn't spoilt."

Taking two glasses from the cabinet, Celebrian placed one on the table and began to fill the other. Rumil flew past the door on his way to the parlor, and Celebrian was glad Elrond had his back to him so that he did not say anything about her brother running in the hall. As she filled the other glass, she heard a pair scamper into the parlor after him and glanced sideways to see if Elrond had noticed the twins. He had not, or chose to ignore them, for one hand was holding open a book he had left in the kitchen earlier that day, while the other held the cookie he had just bitten into.

There was noisy clomping on the steps and the sound of Orophin talking to someone in a rather loud voice. Celebrian bit her lip as Elrond looked up with a frown and a creased brow at the noise, but breathed a sigh of relief when he returned to his reading.

- - -

"…the twins and I were hoping to find another to join us in the game, it works best with four, and--" Orophin halted at the doorway to the parlor with Haldir and blinked as he noticed Rumil. "Rumil, I did not know you had come to play," he said in a surprised voice, as if he had not just sent his younger brother into the parlor just minutes ago.

"I thought you said we needed one more?" asked Elrohir instead. "You said four, we thought we needed another."

"Oh, that's fine, I can play another time," Rumil said, standing up to move away from the game board, but Haldir shook his head.

"Please, I do not wish to disturb your game."

Elladan made a sound of discontent and waved his hand. "We've not even begun. I'll sit and watch."

"Elladan, peace." Haldir slid his hands into the pocket of his pants, and shook his head once more. "Play your game, the four of you enjoy it more than I. Please," he said, drawing out one of his hands and motioning that Orophin should enter the room. Reluctantly, Orophin did so and Haldir turned to return upstairs.

Celebrian chose this moment to cross the room, and passing the door let an empty cookie tray she carried wave a bit of air out of the kitchen. Haldir walked by not more than a few seconds later and would have continued had the smell of ginger and sugar not wafted into the hallway. Poking his head into the kitchen, he asked, "Are you baking?"

"Oh, good. I had hoped someone might stop by. Elodien's been out stargazing, and I fear the poor dear has not had a thing to eat since supper. Here, take this out to the garden," she said, handing Haldir a tray with a plate of cookies on it. "Better take some milk out there as well, she's bound to be thirsty." Celebrian poured not one, but two glasses, carefully watching Elrond from the corner of her eye, but he paid no attention to his wife and brother-in- law. "Go on then, before the cookies cool and the milk gets warm."

Looking down at the tray, Haldir blinked a few times, slid a look at the unnoticing Elrond, and then turned to go to the side exit that led to the garden. Celebrian quickly loaded up another tray with cookies, placed the pitcher on it, and hastily retrieved four glasses from the cabinet. Elrond looked up and closed his book. "What are you doing now?" The sudden noise caused Celebrian to nearly drop the glasses. "Here, Ria, let me help you." Despite her protests, Elrond was soon out of his seat and holding the tray so that there was no fear it would fall over. "Is this to be taken to the parlor?"

"Well… yes, but I can take it," she said, trying to snatch the tray from him, but Elrond shook his head as if it were complete nonsense.

"I can take it to them. Sit, Ria, I will be right back. Relax, you've done enough today." As Elrond left the room, relaxing was the last thing on Celebrian's mind.

- - -

"I don't see him yet."

"Is that—no, just the wind."

"Oh, no! I think she's standing up!"

"Is that—no, wind again."

"Orophin, hush!"

Elrond silently entered the room, but began to speak almost immediately. "Freshly baked cookies and not quite so fresh milk, but it is cold. I--" He paused to see his sons along with Rumil and Orophin crowded at the window, though they had turned in fright and were looking at him now. "What are the four of you doing over there?"

An audible gulp from Elrohir caught Elrond's attention, but Orophin quickly covered. "Just look at the dust on this panel!" He swiped his finger across the glass and scowled at the imaginary grime on his finger. "Someone get me a rag, I'm going to clean it now!" Out of the corner of his eye, he caught movement in the garden, movement that was most definitely another elf approaching the one already there. "On second thought, I've changed my mind! Close the curtain, Elladan, I can stomach none of this at the present!" He waved at the elder of the twins in a manner that his order should be carried out immediately, and it was.

"Look, cookies!" Rumil was suddenly at Elrond's side, relieving him of the tray. "Thank you so much – please send our regards to my sister for the unexpected snack. Elrohir, have you set the board yet?"

Standing numbly by the window yet, Elrohir swallowed again, and scurried to the game board, keeping his eyes low. Elrond regarded those in the room a few seconds more before shaking his head and leaving. As soon as he was back in the kitchen, the quartet was back at the window.

- - -

"Your brothers are quite strange sometimes. You don't think that will negatively affect our sons, do you?" he whispered when he had come back into the kitchen. Celebrian was sitting at the table, her hands in her lap and hidden by the tablecloth so that Elrond could not see her wringing them.

"Whatever were they doing?" she asked as her husband sat.

Elrond rolled his eyes. "They were by the window, and I do not know why, but I do not think I wish to know. Obviously, something is going on. I cannot always tell with Elladan, but Elrohir is incapable of lying directly, and he said nothing. I'm sure whatever it is most likely is harmless, but perhaps you should stop in there after a minute or two."

"I think," said Celebrian as she stood, picking up a washrag from the counter, "I should go in right now and put a stop to it before it starts."

"Excellent idea," nodded Elrond.

Celebrian was able to march right up into the group at the window before they took notice of her, and then began smacking each of them with the damp towel that she carried along with her. "One of you should be watching the door!" she hissed quietly, furiously shaking her rag at them. "The rest of you, move your game to the window table so that you don't look so damned obvious!" Each of them was smacked at again, before Celebrian turned around. As an afterthought, she added, "I want details!" before leaving.

- - -

"All taken care of," announced Celebrian as she returned and sat down next to Elrond.

Nodding, Elrond asked, "What were they up to?"

Celebrian took a few moments before answering, "Well, they aren't doing it any more." Elrond stopped reading and considered her statement before looking up at her, one eyebrow rising while the other sunk lower. "Ginger snap?" she offered with a smile.

- - -

"Good… yes… sit down next to her, good idea," nodded Orophin as he watched the scene unfold outside.

"He should have taken her into the alcove," suggested Rumil. He was rewarded with a slap to the back of his head.

"If they were in the alcove, we would not be able to see them right now!"

"Oh."

"Sure we could. We'd just have to use that window over there."

"Mmm." Orophin paused, realizing the voice was not that of his brother or either of the twins. Swiftly he turned around, finding himself face to face with Glorfindel. "Elrohir!" he hissed, "You weren't supposed to let anyone else in here!"

"You said `Don't let the balrog in'! You didn't say a thing about the balrog slayer!"

Sighing heavily, Orophin stomped his foot. "Well, I hope you're happy. We have to tell him what's going on now, and if he's not agreeable to it, it'll be your job to tie him up and stuff him in the closet."

"Why me?" questioned Elrohir. "You had the easy job, just sitting by the window watching those two in the garden!"

"Hush!" Rumil bounded to the door and then shut it. Glorfindel was looking around with quite an amused look on his face. Rumil quietly explained the situation, causing the golden haired elf to nod a number of times. "Are you in?"

"Besides not wanting to be found tied up and stuffed into a closet, I think your goal a noble one. I shall join you on your quest," he said, bowing slightly as he grinned.

"Wonderful! Back to keeping an eye on things, then," said Orophin.

Elladan cringed, being the closest to the window and the first to look out of it again. "They've either turned invisible or they've walked off."

"They're gone?!" cried Orophin in disbelief, looking out of the window.

"I am afraid they are."

Just at that moment, the door opened. Elrond looked around, settling his eyes on Elrohir, deciding it was always best to go for the weakest link. "What's going on in here? Why was the door closed?"

"As you can see, the windows are just filthy!" Orophin said loudly, waving an arm up and down the length of the panel. Glorfindel nodded, each nod more enthusiastic than the previous.

"Obviously, something must be done. We cannot have it kept as such in this house. Think of the ellith and elflings! Now, Erestor uses some sort of a citrus soap – I can find out from him what the composition is and we can nip this problem in the bud before--" Glorfindel turned slightly to regard Elrond, as if he only just now realized the former elf lord had entered. "Ah, Elrond, good evening to you. We're just discussing the state of the windows. Care to join the conversation?"

Elrond took one look at Glorfindel, shook his head, and left the room, closing the doors behind him.

"Still got it," Glorfindel said proudly as he crossed his arms.

- - -

They talked about Gondor, they talked about Lothlorien. They talked about men, and of elves; of history and of legend, and of war and love. At first, Haldir had politely offered his arm, and Elodien had taken it without hesitation, but somewhere along the way, he had felt her hand in his. They took one of the longer and less trodden paths, both hoping not to come across anyone as they strolled in the moonlight beneath glittering silver stars.

"Do you hear that?" Elodien asked, interrupting the conversation they had been having.

Haldir listened and then smiled. "Erestor." He lifted his free hand to his lips, motioning her to stay quiet. Silently, they crept around the nearby barn. Pointing to a high window just out of reach for them to see into, Haldir firmly grasped Elodien around the waist and with little difficulty lifted her into the air. She took hold of the bottom of the open window and peered into the barely lit enclosure.

Inside, a dark elf sat on an overturned bucket in the goat pen, surrounded not only by the animals kept in the barn, but also a few rabbits and a doe that had wandered into the place. He sang, but not in a language she had ever heard, and the animals listened, entranced. Elodien had no idea how it was that Erestor could run his fingers over the head of the doe as she nuzzled his shoulder and neck, nor could she explain it when one of the goats stopping feeding and came to put her head in his lap.

"Extraordinary," she finally whispered after being lifted down and taken away from the barn and back down the path. "How can he do that? I know gentle creatures seem to trust elves more than men, but I have seen no other elf with such a way with animals."

Haldir grinned. "He's had a special affinity with them. Perhaps because he sees them as equals and not as a source of food, they trust him in ways they do not trust the rest of us. Perhaps he knows things we do not, for he is older and I daresay wiser than any other of us living on the beach, and more so than most in all of Valinor. He lived here for a long time before he came to Middle-earth."

"I do not think I would have left, and I know I shall never leave now. This place is wonderful." Elodien looked around at the house in the distance, the stables, the gardens, and the sea, over which the moon continued to rise. "There is one thing here more wonderful than anything else."

"Oh? What is that?" queried Haldir. They had taken pause near a large maple, Haldir leaning against the trunk, with Elodien before him, and close to him as well. He had wrapped his arms around her waist without giving it the proper thought, and she now turned in those arms and pressed herself to him with unseemly familiarity.

"You." Elodien's hands curled around Haldir's hips and he gasped as if he had never felt such a thing before. His own hands moved up quickly, settling uncomfortably on Elodien's shoulders. "More than anything else here, it is you who have made me happy." Her hands began to roam, her boldness further surprising Haldir. "Let me make you happy."

Haldir's eyes widened as he realized what she meant, but he kept his composure best he could, letting his hands move down Elodien's arms, pulling her hands away from him and into his own. Bringing them to his chest, he simply held her hands, caressing them soothingly with his thumbs as he stared into her eyes. "I think…" He looked off in the distance to some faraway point. "I think I…"

Drawing her close to him, Haldir held her tight, memorizing how it felt, taking a deep breath of her scent, and holding her tighter. If he didn't do it now, he decided, he would never do it. His strength and will were waning, and he feared he would not have the courage to accept his fate if he waited much longer. Leaning his cheek against hers he said in a choked voice, "Remember me," then pulled away and walked to the house without looking back.
Hope by Zhie
The noise that came from the barn as Erestor abruptly stopped his song was like the moment after the shattering of glass. Sudden silence, and held breath. Aware of some disturbance nearby, he gently calmed the animals around him before leaving the barn and quickly following the path to a grove of large trees. Beneath one, Elodien had slumped to the ground and was staring at her feet, shaking her head. "My child, what is wrong?" questioned Erestor, stooping down before her. He used one hand to lift her chin, fearing Haldir had left her in tears, but the face that looked up at him was angry.

"What is wrong? Elves, that is what," she huffed. "All of the sane ones are taken, and what is left is a handful of confused war heroes that do not know whether to take what it is they are offered or run and hide!"

"Such is the nature of the beast," Erestor apologized. "Those are the elves who have done naught but follow orders all their days, and now in Valinor, do not know what they should do without being told by someone else."

"Oh, I was very forward today, my lord," Elodien assured him.

"You were forward, but were you direct?" questioned Erestor.

Elodien allowed herself the collection of her own thoughts and leaned against the tree. "I do not know. I just do not know anymore."

"What you need to do next time--"

"There is no next time. I am finished."

"What you need to do," began Erestor again, taking her chin in his hand once more and forcing her to look at him, "is tell him, in no uncertain terms, the things you wish. He may have been commanding troops for years, but there was always someone overseeing him and telling him what to do."

"What about Greenwood?" asked Elodien defiantly.

Erestor let his hands drop down to his sides and said, "I will tell you a secret about Greenwood." He paused, and looked around to be sure there was no one else in the area. "There was a very good reason I was called upon to be in Greenwood while he ruled. He is a good leader, but he still needs direction. Do you know what he did at the battle in Rohan?" Elodien shook her head. "When the Elves arrived, Haldir was asked to lead not only his army, but the rest of the army that was there. Instead, he turned his troops over to the command of your father."

"That doesn't make him a bad leader."

"It was an example."

"It is a bad example!"

"I-" Erestor took a deep breath and bit his lip, on the verge of anger himself. "I have found," he finally said, "that those in love often become confused-"

"What am I to do? Tell me, Lord Erestor, what have I done wrong?" When he did not answer, she said, "Truly, nothing."

"You're absolutely right," he answered. Sitting down beside her he said, "Haldir is a challenge." Elodien snorted and Erestor drew his arm around her. "But I think he is worth it, please, do not give up now. It has only been three months- for an elf his age, that's barely any time at all."

"I wish I would have stayed in Gondor," she said, hugging her knees to her chest. "I wish I would have stayed with Eldarion and my sisters, or even gone back to join the rangers again. Things are so hopeless here for me."

Erestor took hold of one of Elodien's slender hands. "My dear, your mother had a phrase she used often in the dark times before your birth. 'There is always hope.'"

"How can you believe that?" she sighed.

"Because I know things you do not." Erestor took another careful look around and said, "He loved deeply once before, even if he will not admit it. He loved your mother. It isn't that he doesn't want to love you, he merely wants to be sure he isn't doing it for some other reason." Smiling wryly, he added, "Your grandfather hasn't been the easiest on him, either."

"Yes, my grandmother explained all of that to me," she said quietly. "I'm just not quite sure."

"You will never know unless you take a chance." Reflecting on his own situation, he said, "Sometimes, it takes thousands of years, but even if it does, it is worth the wait."

"And the heartache?" she burst out. "No, such a thing is too cruel to me."

Erestor clasped his hands together, kneading them back and forth. "Allow me to speak with him tonight. Give me at least a day."

Elodien shook her head and closed her eyes. "Alright," she relented. "To be fair, a month."

Erestor nodded and after giving her a gentle hug began to walk back to the house. On his way there, he looked up to the stars. "Aiya, Arwen," he said, "your daughter is more stubborn than ever you were and twice as impatient as your husband was. However did you manage such a thing?" The stars twinkled back in amusement.

- - -

Erestor did not have to observe the open pack filled with clothing, books, and other small possessions for very long before coming to a conclusion. "Where are you going?"

"Away from here. Far away from here." Haldir pulled two more items from the closet and shoved them into the bag.

Clucking in annoyance, Erestor tipped the contents of the bag out onto the bed, spilling them onto the floor. "She will follow you. Do you love her?"

"Erestor, I have to leave." Haldir grabbed for the bag, but Erestor stepped back and held it fast under his arm.

"But do you love her?"

Growling in the back of his throat, Haldir yanked open a drawer to pull out a slightly more worn bag. "That's why I have to leave." He untied it and began to shove everything into this one. "She lost her father, her mother, her brother and sisters. She has a family here now. I won't make her give that up."

"But you'll give up what you have? Your parents, your family? Your sanity? Though, it's questionable that you still have that," Erestor scolded him, tossing the empty bag aside.

Narrowing his eyes, Haldir returned again to the closet to search for his bow. "For her, yes. For her, anything."

"Because of one elf?" Erestor took hold of the bag, not bothering to dump out the contents this time, but obvious not about to give it back as Haldir returned with his weapons. "Because of Elrond?"

"Erestor, I have no time for games," replied Haldir sternly.

"You are so very much like him," answered the tall elf. "I would dare say sometimes you two are exactly alike."

"If that were true, he wouldn't constantly hint at the fact I am unworthy to court her. Kindly return my bag." Haldir held out one hand to Erestor in a demanding manner.

"Damn you, Haldir!" hissed Erestor, and Haldir took a step back in surprise at the sudden rage he saw in Erestor's eyes. "Go after her!" Erestor insisted. "If you don't, you will never forgive yourself. You will regret it every day of your life. No matter how happy you are, no matter how blessed you feel, every morning you wake up and curse yourself for letting her leave."

"She's not going anywhere, Erestor. I'm the one leaving," Haldir reminded him.

Giving a nod after pausing to consider this, Erestor said softly, "You'll regret it all the same."

"I'll regret it if... I... do something I regret," countered Haldir. He sat down atop his desk, leaning his bow and sword against the chair. "You cannot know what it is like, to walk around this house, to see her everywhere, to hear her voice echo in the halls, to smell her scent in every room, to touch her hand in passing, but to be denied the taste of her lips and the warmth of her touch because it is not proper in the eyes of others."

Erestor was silent for a time, shaking slightly. Dropping the pack to the floor, he finally took hold of the footboard as he lowered himself to sit down on the bed. "I know exactly what it is like," he solemnly answered. "That is why I am not about to watch you walk away."

Haldir's shoulders slumped and he stared up at the ceiling. "If I stay here, I might make it a day, a week, perhaps a month even. I will not last much longer than that. I cannot deny what I want, and what she wants as well."

Looking up with a spark of hope in his eyes, Erestor said, "Don't. Tell Elrond."

"Don't tell Elrond? I can do that."

Erestor smiled in relief to hear Haldir make a joke. "No, penneth. Tell Elrond what your intentions are."

"He will kill me."

"You know he won't. I will come with you. We can go now," offered Erestor.

Haldir bit his lip. "I can't, not yet."

"And you are still intent on leaving?"

"I almost..." Haldir looked back to Erestor. "I almost said and did something tonight that I may have regretted."

"I see. So you seek to escape before you do. Where will you go?" wondered Erestor. "I heard about your birch tree."

"There's nothing wrong with living in a tree," Haldir said defensively.

"No. No there isn't," Erestor agreed. "Haldir, everything is happening so quickly. More has happened in the last two years than has happened in the hundred before that, I would wager. These are great turning points in our immeasurable lives, and we do not have foresight of the roads ahead. Tell me, what is it that you seek? What are your wants? Your goals?"

"I-" Haldir shook his head. "I'm not certain I know."

"Then do this for me," insisted Erestor. "Write a letter."

"What?"

"First, rest, actually, and then write a letter. To yourself. Tell yourself what your goals are."

"Can't I just make a list?" asked Haldir.

Erestor smiled. "Letters are much more personal. But get some sleep first. It has been a long day."

Nodding, Haldir slid off of the desk. "Thank you, Erestor." The dark elf nodded and headed to the door.

"Haldir?" The silver-blonde elf looked up at Erestor. "I do not think you will regret it when you tell her you love her." Again, Haldir nodded, his cheeks flushing slightly. "Good night, Haldir."

"Good night, Erestor. And thank you again," he said as Erestor shut the door.

- - -

"Go home. Rest." Erestor offered his hand to Elodien, who took it and was pulled up from the ground.

"You talked to him?" asked Elodien as they walked to the house, arm in arm.

Erestor nodded. "Give him just a little more time. He does love you. Believe me."

"I do, Erestor, I've always believed you." Elodien paused as they reached the pink gate. "Did he... did he mention me at all?" she asked hopefully.

"You were the only thing we talked about," Erestor smirked. "Time, child, time. Give him that, and he will give you so much in return. Please, believe me." He kissed her forehead and opened the gate for her.

"I believe you." Elodien gave his hand a squeeze. "Good night," she said, "and thank you."

Erestor nodded silently as she walked the short path and entered the house. From the porch, hidden in shadow, a familiar voice said, "Playing matchmaker of Valinor?"

He was not sure how to answer at first as Galadriel stood and walked to the fence. "Well," he said finally as she stood on the opposite side from him, "there should be someone doing that job here, don't you think so? I know we could have used one at their age." Holding her gaze, he grasped the top of the swinging gate door and pulled it shut.
Home by Zhie
There was a knock on the door. Haldir turned his attention away from his window where he had been staring out in the early morning hours at the birch tree he had once lived in. "Enter," he said, and slowly his sister came into the room. "Clebri?"

"Haldir. Elrond wants to see you. Well, all of us, really." Celebrian's long face only confirmed what Haldir already felt he knew.

"I will come, but... oh, Clebri, how I had hoped not to hear of such news." Haldir had been sitting, awake at his desk, but still in his sleeping clothes. He pulled on the furry purple slippers that had been under the desk and blew out the candle. He stalled, sighing sadly as his eyes fell upon the crown he had been gifted with during the yule celebration only a half year ago. "Is most everyone else downstairs already?"

Celebrian nodded, and Haldir tucked her arm into his when he reached the door, leading her down the hallway. "I thought when I left the mortal lands I would never again hear of death. Too much of this news, Haldir, too much of it these past few years."

"Aye, but do we not have now the elflings to lessen our grief? To say nothing of Elodien, whom none had ever expected to be with us." Haldir said no more, knowing he himself could bear little more of such news.

Mithrandir's presence in the parlor spoke volumes, and none needed say what had happened given his warning to them months before. Instead, the wizard held out an opened envelope to Elrond. "He has left specific instructions regarding his funeral. He wants a party, and I can not say I am surprised by the request."

"We shall do this for him," answered Elrond, taking the letter. Time was short, but with everyone in the house helping, the event was planned to commence five days later, though the burial occurred that same day.

- - -

"I have written for him a lament," announced Elrond, though his voice quivered slightly. He stood upon the stage, all of the musicians respectfully quiet as a few elves joined Elrond. The mood was oddly somber, yet joyous. Little had been said of the dearly departed, and his instruction had been quite specific in allowing only one bout of grief for all. `In song or poem,' he had written, `though riddles, being my favorite, are always welcome.'

"If all may permit us. It is not long, and it is not as sad as it might be expected to be." It was Elrond and Thranduil who traded lines of the verses, while the twins, Celeborn, Rumil, and Glorfindel sang the choruses. If Elrond grieved, Thranduil's efforts in this were doubled, and he did nothing to hide his reddened eyes, though his voice rang clear after Elrond began the song.

"Oh, where do you wander Fair hobbit and elf friend You leave us to ponder If your time here is come to end

Tra La La La Lalley, You brought joy to our valley. In June.

Though hobbits do not seek Adventures and dragons The one ring you did sneak Burglar Bilbo Baggins

Tra La La La Lilley Dear hobbit, you're silly But linger not long Yet, listen our song In June. We will miss your laughter Your songs and story We shall recall you hereafter In all of your glory

Trill Lil Lil Lil Lolly For you, we'll be jolly And dance and hark Until it is dark In June."

Elrond turned to look at the two hobbits still remaining in Valinor. Frodo nodded to him. "I think Bilbo would have approved of it, Lord Elrond. Even the adventuring part." Elrond loosed a heavy, relieved sigh.

"Let us not forget Mr. Bilbo's final request," Samwise spoke up. "This is a party, as he wanted it to be, and it should be a happy, joyful one at that." Sam packed a bit of weed into his pipe. "As for myself, I shall have a puff for good old poor Mr. Bilbo, and anyone wishin' to join me is more than welcome to it."

"I shall smoke to that, Samwise Gamgee," agreed Mithrandir, producing his own ornate pipe from his robe. Frodo retrieved his without saying a word.

"For those of us not partaking in the leaf, I believe a song and a dance are in order." Elrond bid the musicians to sing and play once more, and the open part of the field was filled again with pairs and groups of elves. The elflord smiled, satisfied that the event was going well and to Bilbo's specifications. He made his way to where the small group of pipe smokers had gone, planning to join them. The weed clouded his thoughts sometimes and made him oft forget what transpired when he smoked it, but he allowed himself this occasion to it, considering the circumstances.

He was therefore surprised to see another elf beneath the pines with the hobbits, wizard, and dwarf. "Haldir, I would have expected you to partake in the dancing, not the smoking," he said, settling on the grass as he pulled a small, yet ornate pipe from his robes.

"Neither did I expect you to be one to so readily enjoy such an activity. Your preparedness is... exemplary," Haldir remarked. He recalled the night his siblings and their spouses sat and smoked upon the beach, wondering if Elrond recalled much of what was said at the time.

Elrond laughed. "It is no crime to carry a pipe in one's pocket. If I might counter, is that pipe your own, or borrowed?"

"It is my own," said Haldir. "A gift from a good friend," he added, lighting the dried plant in the bowl.

"A good friend, I am now. Much an improvement from `the dwarf', I must admit, elf," grinned Gimli.

"Do not think I shall stop calling you dwarf... dwarf." Haldir added a bit of an extra sneer to his voice, and Gimli laughed.

"Playing `arrogant march warden' with me does nothing but amuse this old soul, Haldir." Gimli blew a thin stream of smoke up and out of the corner of his mouth. "Continue to entertain me, and I shall call you `dwarf-friend'."

"Yrch!" Haldir mockingly recoiled from the words, grinning at the hobbits, who seemed to be enjoying the exchange as well.

Mithrandir, not one to be outshone in efforts of entertainment, produced from his lips a school of small fish that wound this way and that through wisps of smoke from the others.

"Impressive," nodded Haldir as the fish darted over and under the pipe hanging from his mouth.

"Perhaps you might give it a try," suggested Mithrandir with a gleem in his eye.

Haldir shook his head. "I can barely conjure up things with a song, I would likely produce something so awful, it would further fuel the rumors that I am not an elf."

The rest snickered, and Elrond now pressed the issue. "You do well with a song, Haldir, humor us and try the smoke."

"Right." Haldir ran his tongue along his teeth, thinking. "For my first trick, I shall attempt a small, misshapen noonday cloud." Laughter greeted him as he puffed on his pipe, filling his mouth with the smoke from the weed. He slipped the pipe from his lips and gently blew the stream from his mouth. As he finished, he coughed a bit on the final part of his design, but nonetheless, it floated along the air impressively before dissolving.

"I don't believe Smaug's tail was quite so crooked, but nicely done otherwise, Haldir," complimented Mithrandir.

"Thank you." He replaced the pipe in his mouth, nudging Elrond. "Your turn."

Elrond was about to give it a try when he turned to look around, having been tapped upon the shoulder. "What might I do for you, dearest one?"

"I thought you might spin your poor wife across the field for a turn or two," Celebrian said, stooping down to pluck the pipe out of Elrond's grasp.

"But I am to take a turn at this smoke conjuring," insisted Elrond, taking the pipe back. "Haldir, dance with your sister for me, would you please?"

Celebrian shook her head. "How much has he smoked?"

"Not nearly enough."

Celebrian slapped her husband's shoulder for the comment, and he grinned, biting his lip. "Dear brother, how clouded is your mind?"

"Not so much that you need worry I would step upon your feet," promised Haldir, settling his pipe onto the ground in the center of the group. He held a hand out for Celebrian, leading her then to the field where many others were dancing already.

When at last Elrond cut in to relieve Haldir in the field, the elf approached the pines to find all had left, even Gimli, who had thought enough to rest Haldir's pipe in a low branch for him. Finding the leaf had burned entirely, he tapped the contents out and onto the ground, snuffing them with his toe to be safe. Tucking the pipe away, he strayed from the main party, encircling the festivities from the cover of the forest.

He was not very deep in the woods, and could easily have been picked out by sight. He had chosen dark pants, nearly black but slightly blue, with boots that were black, yet he no longer hid his true height. The shirt was not quite to his liking, but Celebrian had protested that it suited him, which it did. It was less plain than he normally would have chosen, with the excess of material hanging from the cuffs and upon the sleeves, but the creamy color complimented his hair, and truly, he did look much more like an elf in it than he did in most of his clothing.

Further his sister had insisted upon a jerkin of pale blue, much the color of an early morning sky. Although he would have appreciated more a loose fitting tunic, Celebrian had frowned upon this greatly. "You are an elf," she finally told him in exasperation. "Not some ranger in the forest, not some warden in the trees. Son of a lord and lady, and past king of a realm. You are an elf, and for once, I will have you look like an elf." He dared not protest, for at the time, it was her hands guiding the pins into the cloth she had fitted upon him. The belt he had borrowed from Glorfindel. It was white leather, and soft after so many ages of use. His cape, though not on his shoulders now, had been lent to him by Legolas. It was blue like no other shade of the color, brilliant and shimmering, and he had almost regretted having to take it off when they had arrived.

When Rumil offered to braid his hair, he did not protest- even when Celebrian suddenly joined their brother, bringing with her an overabundance of blue and white blooms, as well as leaves of ivy. In for a penny, in for a pound, and as he had looked into the mirror before they rode out to the party, he couldn't help but wonder where the elf he saw had been hiding for so many long-forgotten years. When they arrived, Celebrian had produced one final touch to the ensemble – a deep blue crystal of some sort, not very wide nor very long, but catching to the eye all the same, hung from the center of a silver-grey chain. Placing it around his neck, she kissed his brow, and he could not help but wonder if there might indeed have been something she knew of that he did not as she winked at him.

"My compliments to your tailor," came a voice familiar to him as he rounded the trees, lost in thought. Haldir stopped and looked up to find the youngest daughter of Arwen standing but a few paces in front of him. She wore violet, but he was of the opinion that any hue would have paled in comparison to her own radiance.

"Seamstress, actually. Your grandmother's work," he added, feeling foolish at giving such information. How could Elodien not know where his clothing had come from, it had been the talk of the house the better part of the week. Bilbo had specifically insisted that none come dressed entirely in black or grey or brown or anything somber, and Haldir took offense, even if the decree had not been on his behalf.

Elodien nodded, her almost loose hair fluttering a bit in the light breeze. She had done just enough to pull back her wavy black hair a bit at either side so it would not hinder her sight, bringing the pale silver-grey strands that normally hid above and behind her delicately pointed ears into greater view in such a way that further enchanted Haldir. Though he had grown accustomed to her normal attire of tunics and leggings hailing back to her days as a young ranger, the dress she wore did not seem as out of place as such a thing would have looked upon his sister-in-law, Valarda, the only other elleth he was used to seeing in the garb of an ellon.

It was only now that Haldir realized he was practically gawking at her, and his hands fidgeted with the loose material of his shirt sleeves. "You are also…you look lovely." Less is more, he decided, shelving thoughts to begin comparing her to the moon or stars. They did little justice to her in his eyes, this peredhel who was more beautiful to him than any other elleth ever had been. Before he could stop himself, he told her so, and she smiled softy in response. Impossible as it seemed to him, she became more beautiful now, and closed the short distance between them.

Haldir found himself but a breath away from her. "I have watched you dance this evening," admitted Elodien, unabashed. "You have the grace of deer, your movements fluid like the swift flowing stream."

"I thank you, dear lady."

"Think you to dance... with me?" Her voice was shy, but her actions bold as she touched the back of her hand to his cheek.

Haldir knew his gulp was audible. "I would not think to presume such a thing, Lady Elodien. I would ask you, if you would permit such asking."

"I do permit it," insisted Elodien.

"Then I ask you if you should like to dance with me." Haldir held out a hand to her, hoping it was not shaking as much as he knew it to be. He had avoided her touch since the night in the garden a mere week ago when he had nearly lost himself in her presence. Now, shielded by the trees from the rest of the party, he knew not what spell compelled him to make such bold movement.

Elodien placed her hand into his and he led her to a clear area, listening to the music to adapt the feel of the song. His heart beat faster and against the rhythm of the dance as he settled his other hand upon the small of Elodien's back. The elleth was much bolder, letting her hand slide back from his shoulder, where it grazed the back of his neck and caused him a slight intake of breath. Elodien pretended not to notice Haldir's sudden alertness to the situation as they danced through the trees, every step placed perfectly, neither thinking consciously upon the movement of their feet as they held the other's gaze.

Many an hour passed, night overtaking the sky, leaving the stars to light the festivities below. Among the trees they danced, pausing only between songs, and never completely letting go of each other. As the final waltz ended, the fiddles continued to play, switching to a faster melody, the other instruments joining once again in an old elvish tune, one not to be played in the day when elflings might be awake.

Elodien's eyes lit as she noticed Haldir's blush upon hearing the music. "Do you not know this dance?"

"I do know this dance, my lady, but I fear you may not wish to perform such a number here, out of doors, near the crowd." In truth, Haldir had only seen the steps performed, never thinking to partake in something so debaucherous.

"Come with me!" Elodien pulled Haldir by the hand. "Come, dance with me!"

"Right now? In front of everyone?" asked Haldir, halting her, drawing her back.

"Everyone." Her eyes gleamed in the moonlight. "I want them to know. All of them."

"To know. To know what?" his steps were hesitant as he followed her.

Elodien stopped trying to drag him from the spot he had hidden in beneath the pines. "You have to ask me that?" Her lips met his, and finally, Haldir surrendered. "Follow me!" she commanded, and he was lost. His feet moved without his permission, and soon they were once again amid the crowd of elves. He tried in desperation not to meet the gazes of his family and friends, but somewhere in the group, he could feel the triumphant grin of not only his siblings, but Erestor and Glorfindel as well.

Haldir hoped he was not blushing as much as he knew he was. It was not that this was the most difficult dance, nor that he knew it least well of all, but this was by far the most erotic one elves dared to perform in the presence of others. If anything, it was the most beautiful dance two elves could think to perform, the movements graceful, yet playful, and overall with a definite air of sensuality. This was not a dance he could rouse Celebrian for. Even the thought of his sister being there and watching made him redden once again.

"Your grandmother is going to kill me," whispered Haldir as he came close enough to tell Elodien so only she could hear. His hands were on either side of her waist for a moment, before a twist sent her a half spin from him.

"It is grandfather who looks as if he will tan your hide," she answered but a few seconds later.

"Is he watching?" hissed Haldir, not daring to look.

"Everyone is watching!" she grinned as her steps took her back into his arms.

"He isn't going to like the rest of this dance... " mused Haldir. "Then he'll like this even less." Elodien edged close enough to sneak a kiss before twirling back away, hand still held by Haldir.

- - -

Indeed, grandfather was not enjoying the dance.

"He has greatly overstepped his bounds," announced Elrond. He would have been at Haldir's throat that instant, but he was held back by Celeborn and Glorfindel. In front of him, Celebrian tried to speak to him with as much reason as she could muster.

"I do not buy your act at being surprised that you did not see this happen in your own house under your very nose, Elrond," scolded Celebrian. "T'was your decision they share the floor, that he be the one to tend to her. You kept her locked away from every other bachelor in Valinor. What else did you wish to have happen?"

"Not this," he hissed to his wife, yanking his left arm out of his father-in-law's grasp. "Either you shall drag your brother away from Elodien and send our granddaughter home to bed, or I will do it, but I promise you, my way will cause a much greater commotion than whatever method you choose."

Celebrian pointed a finger at Elrond's nose. "Listen here, husband of mine, this goes beyond my caring about their blood relation to one another. Look at your granddaughter and see her smile."

"That smile is not meant for him," he spat out, managing to twist enough away from Celeborn.

"I'll be damned if it isn't," she snapped back. "I let you deny him happiness once, my love, never again."

Elrond's face darkened. "I was not about to have him with our daughter. And I shall not allow for this."

"On the contrary, I say you shall." Both of them had remained virtually civil to one another for the entire conversation, and none would have suspected anything amiss, with the exception that Glorfindel still had an arm around Elrond's shoulder and upon examination, one could see he was physically holding him back. Elrond looked away from his wife to the dancers, eyes narrowed as he followed the path weaved by Haldir and Elodien. He was cut off by Celebrian before he could begin to speak again. "By the Valar," she said, "I give my consent to them freely and completely."

Elrond's eyes grew huge. "You can not do that!"

"I can and I have. She is my daughter's child, and I speak for her." Celebrian's voice was heavy with hidden warning, daring Elrond to make his next move as she expected he would.

"She is the child of my foster son, and it is I who shall speak for him."

"You have little to protest, then, my lord husband, for to admit a union between brother and sister, as you now have, seems in mind more an offense than one between uncle and grand-niece." Celebrian folded her arms, finished with her argument. "If you think any longer to do something childish, put it out of your head, for poor old Bilbo would not have wanted it done, and this is after all, his party."

Elrond said nothing, glaring at the dancers, trying to find Haldir and Elodien. "You are right, this is his party and he would not want such a thing to occur." After another moment, he shook off Glorfindel's arm, crossing his in a mimic of Celebrian's. He gave everyone a bit of time to relax once again, to refill drinks and begin to converse politely. Pretending to be listening to the music, he sidestepped to the stage, and was suddenly gone, striding across the lawn toward the dancers.

"Erestor!" hissed Celebrian in a panic, noting Elrond's absence. Erestor was at once turning his full attention to the crowd, scanning them. "There," he pointed, seeing the peredhel moving through the group. Of the four, Erestor had the best chance of catching Elrond, but even he was too far from him at the moment. Instead, he closed his eyes, focusing upon Haldir, sending him a short message and hoping he understood it. `RUN, PENNETH!'

Haldir pulled Elodien close to him in sudden surprise as he heard Erestor's message, looking around as he stopped their movements. It was plain to see he was being hunted, Elrond's gaze directed upon him. He met the eyes of his brother-in-law, and froze. He read everything clearly, in minute detail. `Get away from her. She should not be with you.'

"Not this time will I heed you," he murmured, and fiercely shook his head, drawing Elodien into a protective embrace. Elodien now noticed her grandfather, and regarded him with a look of confusion. Now a second time Erestor called out, more urgently. `Go! Run!' Haldir finally took Erestor's warnings seriously. Grasping hold of Elodien's hand he pulled her toward the protection of the forest, though he did not wish to retreat from Elrond's confrontation, this was really not the time nor place for such a thing. The pair dodged through the rest of the dancers, coming to the pines. With a last glance over his shoulder, Haldir saw Elrond had gained upon them a bit, but the woods were Haldir's element. One last time, he silently pleaded for the elflord to stop, shaking his head at him as he tightened his hold upon Elodien's hand and brought it to rest over his heart. Elrond only hastened his steps, and the pair disappeared into the trees.

Haldir led Elodien silently among the trees and bushes, purposely backtracking and crossing their path to mislead Elrond if he should be so lucky as to pick up upon their scent or trail. As luck would have it, a great pine sought to offer them shelter, and Haldir ducked beneath its branches, pulling Elodien close behind.

"We shall await here until your grandfather has passed." Haldir held his breath, listening to the sounds of nature. He could not hear Elrond, and although that likely meant he was not in the vicinity, it did not rule out the fact he might be hiding behind the next tree.

"What do you believe grandfather wanted? To speak with us? To separate us?" Elodien did not like either idea all too well, considering the look Elrond had been giving them.

"I should not care what it is your grandfather wants, but what it is you want." Haldir licked his lips, his voice still low like the rustle of autumn leaves. "What is it you want, Lady Elodien?"

"You ask what I want without consideration to yourself." Elodien stepped closer. "What is it you desire, Lord Haldir?"

"So many things, and none of which I dare ask for. But speak to me your wish, for I desire your happiness above my own."

"My happiness?" Elodien held her breath, afraid that if they had not lost Elrond, she may have spoken too loud. She lowered her voice. "So plain your words sometimes are, but then, you speak also in riddles, as you do now. I will say the words for both of us, then. Haldir." She cupped his face in her hands, speaking softly and clearly so that her words could not be misunderstood. "I want to be with you tonight."

"Only tonight? Dear lady... " Haldir trailed off, swallowing hard as he lost himself in her honey-colored eyes, barely visible in the darkness. "Tonight is not nearly enough, for I would have every night with you, if you would allow it." Across the way and down the hill, another dance had begun – a jig, lazy, but furiously paced, like the beating of his heart now. "Will you have me?"

"Ah, and now you finally speak the truth to me. How might such a thing work with your heart bound as it already is?" sighed Elodien, as if she did not trust his words.

Haldir took her hands into his. "I am asking much of you, Elodien, my love. I ask you to believe me, but I know neither what to say to cause you to do so nor if any words would matter if you did not already. In truth, aye, I loved your mother, but her love was for your father and never did her soul touch mine the way yours does now." He dropped to his knee before her, still fascinated with her eyes. "Know that you are a fair princess to me, even without crown or kingdom, and never shall I treat you less than a queen."

"And you are but a king without castle or throne," she reminded him, a smile gracing her lips.

"Nay, I am naught but your humble and obedient servant."

"And so his reign as King of Arrogance comes to a sweet and sudden end," whispered Orophin to Rumil from their hiding place in the pine. "We should have sold tickets, and then I would be a rich elf. I so love a happy ending, dear brother. I should hope you have had the sense to bring cloth for us to dry our eyes with, for if he kisses her, I intend to weep."

"You, Orophin?" hissed Rumil, though the pair under the tree heard nothing but the wind. "Such an unromantic as yourself, brought to tears?" The two had seen the escape of their brother and Elrond's chase. Using the skills of the Galadhrim, they had been able to lure Elrond from where Haldir and Elodien had hid themselves before doubling back to climb into the tree without being heard.

"Rumil, I shall cry like an elfling. Hand me your handkerchief, or I shall sob on the sleeve of your tunic."

Below, Haldir had pulled Elodien down to sit upon his knee that was not resting on the grass. "Your answer, my queen?"

"Humble and obedient, yet markedly impatient," observed Elodien playfully.

"I would wait a thousand years for your answer, if it was your will," offered Haldir honestly. "I could be silenced for the whole of eternity if only to await your refusal."

"You are much too harsh on yourself, Haldir." Elodien placed on hand on either side of Haldir's face, gazing into his eyes now, not the stormy grey that they usually showed, but soft and pale, not faded, but relaxed, and finally, perhaps, at peace. "However is it that you stayed free from all other ellyth until I came here?"

"A little luck and a lot of trips to the Northern Fences," he joked. "Even when I was a small child, we spent much time there. There was a tree fort, I know not what happened to it. Just a tiny thing, really- Adar built it for us to play in, but when darker times came we abandoned it as the posts of the Galadhrim moved closer and closer to the city. I know not what came of it."

"Ah, yes, the Northern Fences." Elodien's eyes glazed a bit, drifting from his dreamily as she let her hands drop down and slide across his shoulders. "I realize now, that is where I first fell in love with you before I even knew what or whom it was that infatuated me so."

Haldir's brow knit, and he blinked quizzically.

"We spent the last nights in Lothlorien in the tree, upon a small flet. This was as we were deciding what we would do after Nana had passed. It was there that I convinced Erestor and Glorfindel to take me with them." Elodien looked back into Haldir's eyes as she continued. "I explored every inch of that talan, small and bare as it was. Found messages scratched upon the trunk likely to be hundreds of years old. Scraps of paper with lines of poetry tried on them. A pinecone here, a dried flower there. To most they would mean nothing, but I gathered them and kept them all, it was all I had to connect myself with a past I had never known." Reaching a hand to his head to smooth back the stray hairs that fluttered in the wind, she smiled. "In the center, carved so finely and barely visible, it read `Celeb-Halla-Orod-Rui', and Erestor had to tell me what that meant, but still I did not understand. The puzzle of the flet of Silver Tall Mountain Hunt is now revealed. T'was the tree house of your days as an elfling beneath the trees, was it not?"

Smiling, Haldir nodded. "The pinecones were Rumil's. He loved for us to collect them for him. He called them his trophies, but of what I know not. He prized them, and it was all very endearing. A hunter he is, but not of game. His love of hunting came more in finding plants, and it pained me when time came of need for me to teach him to fight and kill with his hands when an artist and animist were his true callings."

"I guessed only that the flowers might have belonged to maidens, or have been gifts from them," said Elodien. "Now I conclude them to have been Celebrian's."

"Aye, for we three, even tiny Rumil, pretended upon occasion to woo her from the tree when we wished to use it without her there. A child's game that lasted fewer years than you might expect, it was not until just before she left for Imladris that we four became close as we are now."

"The messages on the tree, I take to have been Orophin's," Elodien guessed.

Haldir cringed. "Riddles and rhymes, he swore he did the tree no harm, and the tree had told me it barely did much but tickle when Orophin drew blade to it. I never understood that odd tree. Or Orophin."

"The tree spoke to you?"

"Many of them did. The trees here do."

"Did you speak to them back?"

"It would have been rude not to," laughed Haldir.

Elodien joined in, throwing her head back. Orophin and Rumil scampered higher into the tree, praying they had not been noticed. "And you are the poet," she said when they had calmed.

"Aye. But the poet of Lorien I am no more, for now I reside in fair Valinor."

Elodien closed her eyes. "It was your words, your thoughts, that drew me here. With each line I read, I felt more complete. My need to find the poet of Celeb-Halla-Orod-Rui grew as time passed, and I do not regret the decision I made to step upon these shores. It wasn't until I showed the bits of poems I had to grandmother that I understood I had found you. Haldir of Lorien, you have held my heart longer than you realize."

A single tear slid down Orophin's cheek, and he brushed it hastily away, blinking his eyes. "This is taking far too long," he decided, shimmying down the tree a bit.

"Oro, get back up here," hissed Rumil, following after his brother.

Orophin stopped ten feet above Haldir's head and gave a low whistle. Haldir's head snapped back, looking up into the boughs in moderate annoyance, though hardly disbelieving what he saw. Orophin ignored the second tear that had escaped as he tried to mouth instructions to Haldir before Elodien opened her eyes. `Kiss her!' said without a sound, exaggerating the movements. Haldir frowned and looked at Orophin in askance. `Kiss her, you fool, kiss her!' he tried again, but it only seemed to confuse Haldir further.

A pinecone hit the side of Haldir's leg, and he now took note of Rumil, slightly higher in the tree. Amusedly, he regarded his youngest brother, who simply pointed to Haldir, then to Elodien, making a kissy face. Haldir looked back down, and his brothers could see the tips of his ears turning a healthy shade of red.

Elodien opened her eyes; slightly in alarm over the fact Haldir had said nothing. Eyes locking, Haldir trembled as he took a deep breath and swallowed, so sure, and yet, so completely scared. This moment, just as it was now, was this as it was for Elrond when he saw Celebrian standing at her window? Was the tight feeling in his stomach the same his father had as he pulled Artanis to him and shouted to all whom would hear it `Galadriel'?

Haldir stroked Elodien's cheek, and she leaned into the touch. When Valarda had tackled Orophin beneath the cherry tree of the Last Homely House, Haldir wondered if the look his brother and sister-in- law shared was the same as the one he now shared with the elleth before him. And as Rumil's lips met those of the most trusted scribe in Imladris, did he and Nenniach shudder as Haldir did now, so taken by the warm feeling that invaded him at the moment he made contact with Elodien's soft mouth? Did the light shine so pure and free in the eyes of Arwen Undomiel as Estel held her upon the hill in fair Lothlorien, beneath the mellyrn, just as the light in her daughter's eyes shined now for him?

`Aye, they did, and it is love.' The voice was in his mind, but the words came neither from him nor from Elodien. Haldir made his silent promise to a niece he might have called nana as his tears began to fall freely, a promise to protect her daughter, to keep her from grief and harm, and so many other things would have been added had he but had the chance to tell them to her before he was interrupted. `Love her, Haldir, that is all, and the rest shall come in time.' Thus departed the Evenstar, freed finally from her time waiting in the Halls of Mandos, and free to continue her great and unknown journey.

Elodien gasped and wept with him, clinging to Haldir as they both released their anguish, for Elodien had heard the voice, too, and now would forever share in Haldir's thoughts as he would share in hers. Again to his mind came a thought, not his, but one which he echoed as it resounded in his head. `I love you.'

After some time, they dried each other's tears, holding and caressing one another tenderly, but Haldir would allow nothing further under the tree, and kept himself from looking up into the branches to see the faces of his brothers. "I do not think I can go back to the house tonight," he told her sadly. "I may never be allowed back in."

Elodien nodded. "I shall not enter it again unless you are with me."

Haldir embraced her, and for once, he was not troubled, not even by the thoughts of what Elrond might do if he were to catch them here or anywhere else. He began to wonder what exactly Elodien was to him. They had not formally bonded yet but it felt as if they were, nor was she yet his wife and he her husband, though this thought brought an unplanned smile to his lips. Her thoughts once more mingled with his, and he frowned now, drawing back. "That is too much for you to offer me, Elodien."

"And what are you to me, Haldir?"

"I am yours," he answered, the words feelings so strangely normal flowing from his lips, and he drew back to search her face regarding his answer. Her smile fueled his, and he continued. "Yours to command as you will, yours forever." Above him he could not see his brothers waving their arms in a frantic attempt to get him to stop, finally shaking their heads.

"He is so screwed," Rumil said quietly, defeated.

"Then do not reject what I offer to you. I belong to you, Haldir, just as you are mine, I am forever yours."

"Dammit, Rumil, this is getting too sappy for me," Orophin complained, still covering his voice with the wind, but Haldir heard the comment and quickly surveyed the area through the branches.

"We may not be able to go to the house, but there is a tree..." He felt foolish for making such an offer. Though the majority of his life had been spent living upon flets, the Great Mallorn varied greatly from the gangly birch on the shore. Her life, he realized, had been lived in the great palace of Minas Tirith. The one-room talan he was offering seemed now to be a poor substitute for her rooms in the First Homely House.

Elodien tucked her arm through his without hesitation. "Where you lead, I shall follow."

Haldir frowned, drawing her near to him. "Don't say that. I've been lost in Valinor before."

"Often?" Her brow quirked playfully.

"Plenty of times," he admitted as they ducked under the boughs.

"Come, Rumil!" Orophin landed upon the ground as soon as Haldir and Elodien had walked away again. "There is something we must do."

Rumil swung down from the branch he had been on. "What must we do?"

"Haldir can not go into the house. There is something he will want. We must complete this final mission of the 'Haldir Needs to get Laid Club'."

- - -

"I must admit to you, Haldir, never have I slept in a tree before." Elodien's smile was weaker than usual as she stepped upon the platform of the birch.

Haldir drew up the silver rope behind him, tossing it into the corner as he freed it from its place. It had not been long since he had last been in the birch, but he would not have known this to have once been his tree from the interior. It was cozier, overstuffed pillows tossed in heaps in the corners, down blankets hanging from one of the branches that cut through the room. The walls had been painted, and Haldir noted it was done in a style similar to Rumil's, depicting scenes of Lothlorien in the Third Age. No doubt Celebdreth had inherited some of his father's artistic ability. One object above all others surprised him, and he retrieved it from the corner, smirking. "I also must admit something to you, Elodien." He turned, handing it to her. "Never since moving into the house have I slept without her."

It took Elodien a moment, but she finally began to realize what it was that Haldir had kept hidden from her every time she had dared enter his rooms. Drawing the stuffed purple bunny into a tight embrace, she stepped forward and kissed Haldir upon his nose. "If I hadn't already done so, Haldir, I'd fall in love with you right now."
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=103