Unruly Silliness by Zhie
Summary: Hark! Could that be the sound of wedding bells? Or is it only the laughter of silly elves...
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Third Age Characters: Gloril, Haldir, Nenniach, Orophin, Rumil
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic, Romantic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2150 Read: 2770 Published: November 27 2007 Updated: November 27 2007

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
"Captain, I know you and I have not seen eye to eye on most things, and that you really don't like me very much, but I happen to like your daughter – very much – and I was wondering if I, that is, I would like to marry her, with your permission. Oh, bother, that sounded terrible. Hold on, let me try again."

Orophin turned around, took a deep breath, and turned back once again, exhaling. "Captain, my highest regards to you this day. I have come to inquire to you regarding your daughter and her future and…hablablahabla…" Orophin's shoulders slumped and he shot Haldir a contemptuous look. "You're not helping me any!"

Sitting in the parlor of Rúmil and Nenniach's talan, Haldir shook his head from his spot in a comfortable overstuffed chair. "I do not envy you, brother, but if you go to the Captain with any of those speeches, you are doomed."

"Thank you so much for the vote of confidence, Commander," Orophin said pointedly, and Haldir narrowed his eyes. "It has been noted." Orophin looked back to Rúmil, who was playing the part of Valarda's father for all intents and purposes. "Thoughts?"

"I agree with Haldir. You stink," said the newly appointed Lieutenant. "But I have no sympathy for you."

"Why is that?" questioned Orophin.

"All you have to do is ask the Captain. We've known him, what, all our lives? I, on the other hand, had to speak with Erestor."

Orophin frowned. "I thought you liked Erestor."

"True, but I don't think Erestor likes me," countered Rúmil. "In fact, I hardly think he likes anyone."

"Not true," spoke up Nenniach, poking her head into the parlor from her study. "He's quite fond of Haldir. And me, of course."

"Alright, that's two. You're his daughter, though – and Haldir, well, that has to be a mistake. Probably had his collar buttoned too high, cut off circulation to his head," reasoned Orophin.

Nenniach crossed her arms and came out in a challenging fashion. Adopted by Erestor after years of being unwanted by any close kin, she could be quite defensive of the horse master of Imladris. Between her husband and brother-in-law, this happened more often than she would have liked. "He's very private, he just doesn't appreciate the type of elves that would yip and yap all over the place like a pair of hobbity housewives."

"A who's a what?" asked Orophin. He looked to his older and more traveled brother for an explanation, but Haldir only sat laughing at the thought of his brothers as hobbits. "Oh, a fine help you are. Why don't you go…shoot an orc, Commander?" huffed Orophin, plopping down on the couch.

"Captain, Orophin. It's Captain now, dammitall," Haldir snarled, but quickly apologized to Nenniach. "I'm sorry for the vulgarity," he said, much subdued. Nenniach nodded and said nothing in regards to it.

"You don't have to do this," Rúmil said as he sat down next to Orophin. "Look, he plans to sail fairly soon, as soon as Haldir is comfortable with his command. When he does that, you can marry Valarda without having to ask his permission."

"No, he can't do that," scolded Nenniach. "Shame on you, husband!" Nenniach marched over and pulled Rúmil up, replacing him on the couch. "You must do this, Orophin. If not for self-respect, do it for her. She would want her father at her wedding."

"No, Rúmil's right…I don't have to…I'll only make a fool of myself anyway…" Orophin was silenced as a boot flew across the room and hit him square in the chest. "Ooof!"

"Orophin Celebornion, I will personally drag you to her father's talan by the tips of your ears if you don't go over there tonight and make your intentions known!" Haldir's eyes were blazing with anger, but he looked a little odd, wearing only one boot.

Nenniach snorted with disdain, and this time, no amount of apologizing allowed her to forgive Haldir's behavior. She grabbed the boot and made her way over to the march warden, who looked slightly unsure of his actions now. Unruly silliness from the two brothers she could deal with, but Haldir's temper drove her mad. She silently prayed for the poor elleth that would someday wind up with this elf as she yanked him from his seat by the ear. "Haldir Celebornion, I have something very important to tell you about in the kitchen. Now."

"Owowowow…yes, fine, leggoleggoleggo…Nenniach, please, I'm… owowow…sorry…I…yeow!" was all he managed as he was pulled down the corridor into the far end of the house.

Orophin waited until Haldir and Nenniach were far enough away before standing up once again. "I don't know what to say, Rúmil." He cleared his throat and thrust a hand forward. "Good evening, sir. As you may have guessed, I'm humping your daughter, and call me old-fashioned, but I just don't think that's right unless we get hitched."

"For some reason, I think even with the sense of humor the Captain has, he would have difficulty hearing that," admitted Rúmil.

"Hello, Captain. Beautiful night, is it not? Lovely weather and all. By the way, was thinking of marrying your daughter, if it's all right with you. And if it's not…well, it's a little late, we only bonded centuries ago."

Rúmil shook his head quickly without even a trace of mirth on his face. "Orophin, you only get to do this once."

"Yes, I know, I know." Orophin sighed. "I need to get drunk. That's what I'll do."

"No, no, don't do that. Bad idea."

"Why's that?" questioned Orophin.

"Because Adar told me he was drunk when he went to ask about Nana."

"Oh." Orophin began to ring his hands nervously. "And he, um, he acted a fool then, did he?"

"No." Rúmil took a seat on the sofa once more and motioned for Orophin to join him. "Apparently, the asking went along just fine. Then he ran into Nana afterwards. Let us just say, she was able to easily confirm some of the major wedding plans in the state he was in. I just don't want to see you wearing pink flowers in your hair at your wedding," explained Rúmil.

"Adar had pink flowers in his hair for his wedding?" Orophin couldn't help but smile a bit.

Rúmil nodded. "Of course, he was a little drunk for the wedding as well, so he swears he does not remember all of the details. I think he's just forgetting them because he wants to. In any case, we are not drinking until after you have asked her father."

Orophin nodded. "What did you say to Erestor? Maybe I can use some of that."

"I doubt it," admitted Rúmil.

"Please, tell me. You have a wonderful way with words, I am sure you planned something lovely," Orophin told him.

"I did plan something lovely," remembered Rúmil. "And then I approached Erestor, and as soon as I opened my mouth, he knew exactly why I was there. Before I knew it, I was sitting in that very uncomfortable chair on the other side of his desk while he peered over at me. He had to have lectured for an hour, I'd wager. `Twas the longest hour of my long life."

"You don't think he'll do that to me, do you?" asked Orophin.

"No, I doubt Erestor would lecture you," answered Rúmil, pretending to be slightly puzzled. "Well, perhaps. If you ask him nicely."

Orophin laughed, "No, silly little one, you don't think the Captain is going to give me a lecture, do you?"

"Well, let's see." Rúmil began to tick things off on his fingers. "You and your bride-to-be moved into your own talan without consulting him, bonded without telling anyone, constantly make jokes regarding marriage and elflings…oh, and he greatly dislikes you because of your attitude, behavior, and work ethic, or, lack of one. No, no reason at all for him to lecture you."

Orophin whimpered slightly. "I just…Rúmil…" Orophin stood up and sadly walked to the large open window, leaning his arms on the sill. For some time he stood and looked out over the vastness of the city before speaking again. "I love her, Rúmil. I love everything about her. I really don't want to mess this up. I know I don't have a glowing past with the Captain, but so what? I've always treated Valarda well…or, as well as she wishes to be," he said, chuckling. "I remember once, there was a large puddle of mud, and I tried to carry her across it, and she had none of it. We both ended up covered, head to toe in muck, laughing our way home. I would have carried her over it, though, if only she'd have let me."

"That is because all she wants is an equal." Orophin was startled from his spot at the window. He turned to find the Captain standing in the doorway with a slightly winded Haldir close behind.

Turning two shades paler than usual, Orophin bowed and saluted simultaneously, nearly injuring himself. "Captain…" His voice failed him as his previous thoughts jumbled together. He swallowed. He took a deep breath. He tried again. "Captain. I wish to marry your daughter and would like to ask your permission to do so."

"Lieutenant. Permission granted."

Orophin stood, dumbfounded. "Wait, what? Really? I mean, yes, you, I, it's-"

"Yes. If she wishes it – and Valar knows you've kept house this long without killing one another – then I see no reason for you not to make it publicly official," nodded the Captain. "You love her?"

Orophin nodded emphatically.

"Good. I think she finds you tolerable," grinned the Captain. "Now, I was in the middle of dinner before Captain Haldir pulled me away to see to this most urgent matter, so I shall take my leave." He was about to go back to the kitchen, but Haldir made a motion to the front of the talan.

"The front door works quite well," offered Haldir. "You need not go the same way you came."

"Ah, yes. Thank you." The Captain nodded his farewells, receiving salutes from the three brothers. Just as he was about to leave, Orophin stopped him.

"Wait, don't you want to know how much I love her? Or what my plans for the future are? Or…or…anything?" stammered Orophin.

The Captain thought for a moment, and then shook his head. "No, I think your brother did a fine job covering everything on the way here." The Captain said his final farewells and made his exit.

Orophin looked at Haldir, who merely shrugged. "Explain yourself." Haldir waved his hand as if pushing the matter aside and sat down on the chair once more. "Explain, Halli."

"Peace, Orophin," Haldir said, raising a hand. "Nenniach asked me to bring him here, so I snuck out the back. I could not merely pull him over by his ear; I had to say something to him. All I did was tell him the truth. He does not care about anything except the happiness of his daughter. She is happy, and so is he."

Orophin smiled, ran over, and threw his arms around Haldir's neck. "You are the bestest biggest brother ever!" Orophin glanced over at Rúmil, who looked a little down, and ran to him. "And you are the bestest littlest brother ever!" He said, knocking Rúmil to the ground with the force of his hug.

"Although…" Haldir trailed until he had the attention of his brothers, "he did seem a little put off when I mentioned your affinity for blue hair."

"My what?"

"As long as you don't shear any of his horses, I think things will be just fine between the two of you," continued Haldir.

"Halli…" warned Orophin.

"But when I told him what you did with that poor squirrel," added Haldir mischievously, "I thought for sure he was going to turn and go back home."

"Halli, you didn't! Tell me you didn't tell him such lies!"

Haldir shook his head. "I truly was surprised when he still insisted on coming after I told him your true ambition was to be a bareback riding exotic dancer."

Haldir was unable to add to his outlandish list, for he quickly found himself pulled from his chair and pinned to the floor by both of his brothers, and was being tickled without remorse by one or both of them, but was laughing so hard, he could not see which was the case.

Nenniach poked her head out of the study to check on the commotion. Smiling, she went back to her desk. Unruly silliness from the three brothers she could deal with.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=136