Winter Wonderland by Zhie
Summary: Glorfindel takes Erestor on a sleigh ride. Part of Blind: Revisited.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Blind Characters: Erestor, Glorfindel
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Romantic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 994 Read: 2810 Published: December 25 2007 Updated: December 25 2007

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
“Listen.”

Glorfindel strained his ears, lopping his scarf around his neck again for good measure. Though elves could weather the elements better than the other races, save for ents, the blond had no desire to be chilled to the bone, any bone. He had one arm around his husband; half to keep him close so that they could together brave the frosty air, and half to keep him steady on the slippery patches, for his walking stick was nearly useless when they hit any ice.

In fact, this was Erestor’s first real winter outside since the ‘unfortunate event’, as he referred to the battle which caused his blindness. They had spent the earlier part of the day sledding with the twins to give Elrond and Celebrian a respite from their parental duties, and then came inside for hot cider and biscuits. Back out again they went, with Glorfindel building a snow fort for the two youths, and a second when they complained they each wanted one, and a third- so that he had a place to sneak briefly with Erestor during a snowball fight and kiss him in the darkness of their wintery snow cave.

After taking them in for supper and then tucking the boys into bed and leaving them in the care of the nanny, who was also very happy to have earned an unexpected day off, Glorfindel had suggested a late evening walk. No argument came from Erestor, and the pair had spent the better part of an hour crunching through the snows that covered the gardens and blanketed the world in white.

Eventually, it had started to snow again, and Glorfindel proposed a snowflake catching competition. His racing about in an attempt to catch more on his tongue than Erestor left him a little winded as the counselor laughed, having stood in the same place and still won their little bet. On their way back to the house, Erestor had stopped him, and there they stood, near to the door, with Glorfindel wondering what they were listening to.

“The snow. I can hear it falling,” said Erestor. “Close your eyes and just listen.”

Glorfindel did so, allowing himself into the world that Erestor lived in. With his sight gone, he relaxed and concentrated on the sounds around him. There it was- a patter, like rain, only softer. A gentle tapping as the flaks fell upon the piles already surrounding them. “Beautiful,” he murmured, for it was. A lovely symphony of nature, accompanied by the strained flow of the waterfall nearby.

“Do you hear that?” asked Erestor, squeezing Glorfindel’s bicep. The elven warrior listened again, and smiled. “Sleigh bells,” he sighed, in case Glorfindel did not place them. “I remember seeing the nobles in them back in Greenwood, when horses were scarce. I always wanted to sit in one of those grand, open carriages, riding through the woods on a winter night.”

“Did you never have a chance to?” asked Glorfindel as he waved to the elf at the reigns. The horses were turned away from the stable and urged in the direction of the house, to where the pair were standing. Erestor shook his head.

“My wife hated horses, so I could never get her to accompany me. What fun is a sleigh ride by yourself?” he wondered.

“Indeed,” agreed Glorfindel as the jangling of the bells came closer.

Giving Glorfindel another squeeze, Erestor began to protest. “Glorfindel, those horses are probably tired,” he began, but he was shushed with a kiss and by the questions Glorfindel began to ask the stable hand who had been driving the team.

“Do you need all eight to pull the sleigh?” shouted Glorfindel to the young elf as he approached.

“Nay, m’lord,” he was answered as the lad jumped down and helped those who had been passengers out. After the sleigh was cleared, he swept his hand toward the empty seats. “Care for a ride? They’re good for another trip through the forest. It’s a lovely, peaceful ride.”

Glorfindel walked to the horses and looked them over, noting they were not very tired. “How long have you been at work?” he questioned as he circled back around.

“My shift started before noon,” replied the elf.

“I won’t trouble you for your service then, except to remove six of these poor beasts and to leave the strongest two hitched,” said Glorfindel as he slipped coin to the elf, a more than fair sum to tip him for this task. Swiftly, the stable hand did as requested, and led the rest back to their stalls as Glorfindel slid his arms around Erestor’s waist. “A sleigh ride for just the two of us on a lazy winter’s eve. You’ll have to snuggle close, though, I think I spied a blanket we can keep across our laps and legs to stay warm.”

“You can share my cloak with me,” offered Erestor, leaning back against his lover as his shoulder was nuzzled. “I would let you.”

“How very considerate of you. Shall we?” offered Glorfindel, but instead of waiting for Erestor to take his arm and be led to the sleigh, he picked him up in his arms and carried him to the open carriage, setting him down gently upon the padded bench that made up the front seat before settling down next to him. “Comfy?” he asked as Erestor felt around and arranged the blanket and cloak to his liking.

“Mmmhmm,” Erestor assured him, leaning against Glorfindel’s shoulder. “Well? Are we going to just sit here all night?” he prodded as Glorfindel adjusted one arm around Erestor and the reigns in his other hand.

“Giddyup, let’s go!” shouted Glorfindel, and the horses took them down the lane where the snow glistened, riding in a wonderland of snow while the pair cuddled and held each other’s hand, listening to the music of the falling snow.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=154