Wake-up Call by Zhie
Summary: Sometimes, it's less trouble to let your brothers sleep in.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Third Age Characters: Haldir, Orophin, Rumil, Torech
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1555 Read: 3009 Published: December 26 2007 Updated: December 26 2007

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
Haldir tugged on the rope that dangled from the tree, pushing the eggs around the pan with a forked stick so that they would not burn. The previous day, a few of the wardens had come across a series of abandoned nests in a pond not far from the borders. Men had been through and took all of the ducks they were able to, leaving few behind to tend to their unborn young. The eggs were a fortunate find and a rare delicacy.

Haldir pulled the rope again as he looked up into the branches. Surely, his brothers could not still be sleeping, and yet, the possibility was ever present. Haldir stooped down, still holding the now cooling pan, and picked up a handful of mallorn nuts from the ground. He gave a final tug on the rope, then launched the nuts up and over the side of the talan with his free hand. A series of curses followed the tapping of the nuts across the floor of the flet. "Breakfast!" called Haldir up to the pair that looked over the edge with disdain.

"That was very un-Captain-like," complained Orophin when he and Rumil had reached the bottom. "Throwing heavy objects at us like that. You don't care about our well being."

Haldir frowned. "Good morning to you, too, brother." He arranged their plates on the ground in a small circle. The other wardens of this part of the Northern Fences were grouped in similar fashion around the small fire that had been built. "I forget how fragile you are, I shall find something lighter to pelt you with in the future."

Snorting, Orophin took the fork that was handed to him. "So, you admit that you would again throw things at me. For shame. And here I thought you, of all elves, would do anything he could for his little baby brothers." Orophin pouted and shamelessly pulled Rumil closer to him. Rumil did not resist, and rested his head upon Orophin's shoulder. "Instead, we are awakened by small pebbles hitting our wee heads."

"Nuts," Haldir corrected. "I threw nuts at you."

"Ai! He has no remorse! He truly does not care for us!" Orophin turned now to bend his head to Rumil, throwing his arms around the youngest, and pretended to sob into his brother's shoulder. The other wardens, used to such behavior by now, ignored the scene.

Haldir raised a brow, then shook his head. There was no winning the argument by force, so he would win it by guilt. "No, you're right Orophin, you're absolutely right." He began to portion out the eggs from the pan onto their plates, adding a chunk of bread and a handful of dried fruit for each of them. "I only get up earlier than I need to so that you can have at least one warm meal every day, smuggle extra food onto the borders for you when I can," he dumped the empty pan off to the side with such force the stick he had used jumped from it, "add small insects and forest vermin to it so that you get enough meat in this Valar-forsaken place-"

Rumil's eyes flashed a look of concern. "Bugs?"

"-keep bottles of ale on hand, just in case for whatever reason one might need some-"

"What kind of bugs?" continued Rumil, eyeing up the eggs suspiciously.

"Fireflies," whispered Orophin out of the side of his mouth.

"-check the water supply carefully before refilling the canteens-"

"I like fireflies," said Rumil, but he poked through his food to make sure none were hiding in it.

"Oh, right, the water supply." Orophin rolled his eyes. "As if we would use it all up. We only have a river running through the bloody place."

"Depending on where you go," lectured Haldir, "depends on how sanitary the water is." He lowered his voice considerably, pointing behind his back where other wardens sat. "Some of them piss in the same water they drink. They don't think about that when they refill their supply after relieving themselves. If one does not go to the proper place one will get sick - and yes, Rumil, elves *can* get sick - it does not happen often, but I have seen it."

Rumil looked suspiciously now at the tin cup of water from his canteen sitting before him and swallowed audibly. Orophin pulled on his younger brother's shoulder with a sigh. "He's just angry. No one has contaminated the water supply." Rumil still did not look convinced.

"That, Rumil, is the very good reason it takes me so long to get water when we need it." Haldir sat down upon the ground to his own breakfast of bread and fruit. "I will only get water where the current is swift and the water is clear and clean."

Rumil still did not look convinced.

"Fear not, Rumil. Your water is fine," Haldir assured him.

"I drank out of Torech's canteen the other day," blurted out Rumil, and he appeared to be on the verge of tears.

"Oh, by the Valar. Torech!" Orophin shouted, getting the attention of the elf that was nearest to them, tending the fire. The young elf looked up approached them, saluting to the Captain and Lieutenants, but Orophin waved off this gesture. "Haldir says you drink piss water!" he called while Torech was still a little ways off. "Not just you, all of you." Orophin made a circular motion with his hand to include the rest of the guards.

Torech stopped dead in his tracks. "Did he now?"

Haldir, whose back was to the young warden, closed his eyes and tried to control the blush in his cheeks. "Thank you ever so, Orophin." He began to stand up to address the young elf behind him, adding to his brother, "If I have a mutiny on my hands, I fully blame you for it."

"Please, brother," Orophin said, turning his attention to his breakfast, "he's one elf. You can handle one elf."

"Hey, boys, guess what the Captain just said about the rest of his wardens!" shouted Torech over his shoulder to the others eating.

"Now you're in trouble," decided Orophin, standing up to join Haldir. "Perhaps now might be a good time to pass your title on to one of your lieutenants. T'would be a shame to be without a Captain on the borders." Haldir glared in response to his brother.

"Over my dead body."

"It could come to that," agreed Orophin as the other Northern guardians approached, none of them looking all too happy. "Now, now, fellow Galadhrim," began Orophin, not allowing the wardens the chance to speak. "Let's not bicker and argue over who said what. Haldir is quite on edge from these orc attacks. He's not only responsible for his own safety, but for the safety of all of us, and of everyone in Caras Galadon. It's quite a job, quite a burden, you all have to agree." There were a few nods, and Orophin added, "Let's have a nice breakfast then."

Rumil was on his feet now, too, and barked out his orders in true officer style. "Everyone back to your groups! Eat now, shift change in an hour! Let's go!" He gave Haldir a pat on the shoulder before herding the guards back to their groups.

Orophin brushed his palms together, wiping the imaginary dust and dirt from them. "You owe me for that," he told Haldir, sitting down on the ground to resume eating.

"What?!" Haldir dropped back to the ground, staring at Orophin in disbelief. "I wouldn't have been in this mess if it weren't for you!"

Rumil circled back around and sat down by his plate of food. "I think you missed your calling, Oro. Should leave you home to play diplomat next time there's a delegation from Mirkwood." Orophin crinkled his nose in disgust over the idea.

For a bit, the three continued to eat, but after a while, Orophin's sad face became sadder and sadder until Haldir could no longer stand it. "What now, Orophin?" sighed Haldir.

Poking at his food, Orophin heaved a great sigh. "Well, Halli, dear, I am not finding *any* crunchy munchy little fireflies in my food this morning. I fear I shall not have the energy to work my full shift." Orophin couldn't hide the slight smirk that was plaguing his face, and in the end, did not try to.

Haldir picked up a mallorn nut and pitched it at Orophin's leg. "Shut up and eat your eggs, you orc."

"Warg."

"Balrog."

"Your mother."

Haldir smiled and suppressed a laugh as he lifted himself from the ground, gathering their empty canteens and pulling the straps over his arm. He walked around to Rumil, placing a hand upon his silent brother's shoulder and kissing him on the head. "I love you, and I've never put fireflies in your food." Rumil smiled and leaned toward him, hugging him around the legs with one arm. Haldir moved to Orophin, resting his hands on both of Oro's shoulders as he kissed the top of his head. "Love you, you orc." He disappeared in the direction of the river moments later.

Orophin smiled somewhat sadly as he watched his brother leave. "I know, Halli," he whispered, glancing at his brother's empty breakfast plate. "I know."
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=160