Responsibility by Zhie
Summary: Some responsibilities are small, some are huge- and sometimes, we have the strength to take on burdens that we did not think were meant for us.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Third Age Characters: Celeborn, Celebrian, Dinendal (Gimlin), Elrond, Galadriel, Haldir, Lothinal, Lothir, Orophin, Valarda
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Dramatic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2709 Read: 2478 Published: December 26 2007 Updated: December 26 2007

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
"But Adar-"

"No." Lothinal stepped around his youngest son, looking disdainfully at the grey-green cloak and grey uniform. "That sword was made for your brother. I will not have you taking it from this house."

"Adar, he isn't going to need it," protested the elf.

"When it is realized that a mistake has been made and your brother is called to his rightful place as one of the Galadhrim, he will indeed need it."

At the bottom of the tree, Haldir shook his head, leaning against the trunk to hide in the shadows. Was this how most parents were? He knew his own had been scolded in private by Lord Elrond once for allowing their children to find their own paths - and once again when Haldir, after spending time in Imladris to train under Erestor as a scribe, librarian, and linguist, had enlisted as a march warden upon returning to Lothlorien. Haldir tilted his head, recalling now, there was a third time, when he made it known his heart was set on being the Captain of the Galadhrim.

- - -

"Are you not satisfied with being Commander of the Northern Fences?" questioned Lord Celeborn.

Haldir placed his fork down atop his napkin and folded his hands before him on the table. "No, my lord, that is not my meaning, and I apologize for not being clearer. What I mean is that I am interested in being Captain, as someone with knowledge of the borders. I have heard that our Captain is to leave shortly for Valinor. Pehaps I was mistaken."

The Lord and Lady exchanged looks with one another. Down the table, Lord Elrond raised a brow and gathered up a mouthful of corn on his fork. "Surely, Haldir, you do know that is most impossible," said his brother-in-law. His sister gave him apologetic look, but said nothing.

Haldir looked down to the table, pressing his lips together as he licked them. "You've found a more suitable replacement, then?" He was careful not to look across at his brother's wife, still in her uniform despite the formal occasion.

"Nay, I had not considered replacement yet," admitted Celeborn. "I hear the gossip of the borders later than most. He looked at Valarda. "Is this true?"

Giving a curt nod, Valarda replied, "Adar wishes to sail West. He did not want you to feel pressured to find someone to replace him."

"I see." Celeborn glanced around the table at his children and their spouses before returning to eating. "I will take your request under consideration, Commander."

"If it were me," began Elrond rather boldly, "I would not allow such a request even to be considered." He held his cup up to the server who passed with the wine, adding, "Elrohir has a flare for politics, while Elladan could lead my army into battle with great success. However, when the time comes for Erestor or Glorfindel to depart over the sea, I would not entertain thoughts of my sons taking up their positions."

When Elrond did not clarify his meaning, Celebrian wiped her mouth and said, somewhat timidly, "It would be too dangerous for them."

"Danger has little to do with it," said Elrond, turning to his wife. "I do not understand fully why Erestor and Glorfindel stoop to such stations, though I am grateful they do."

"What are you saying?" asked Haldir, narrowing his eyes.

"Elladan and Elrohir - and for that matter, Arwen - will be no less than what they were born to be. You are crown prince of Lorien - an elf of noble Sindarin and Noldorin blood. Captain of the Galadhrim is beneath you." Elrond's eyes were on Haldir, who straightened in his seat, smirking slightly.

"That shouldn't be a problem, then, my lord, for I renounced my future throne years ago."

Celeborn sputtered, choking on his wine. Galadriel patted her husband's back, grateful she hadn't been drinking. Around the table, many of the others began to exchange horrified looks, but Celeborn, after wiping his mouth, glared down one side, and then the other. "How many of you knew?"

Horror turned rather quickly to sheepishness, and a number of hands rose into the air, including Celebrian's. Elrond looked at his wife with the slightest amount of curiosity, but did not look very shocked. Galadriel also seemed interested at who knew the secret, but did not allow her surprise to show.

Celeborn frowned, and addressed his eldest son. "Why, Haldir? For what purpose?"

"I only wish to earn my place," he answered, the smirk gone now. When his father's frown deepened, Haldir continued. "It is Orophin who is the diplomat. He is at your side when you need council, not I. He will make an excellent Lord of Lorien one day," finished Haldir quietly.

"Foolish elf," Elrond said, shaking his head. He glanced at Orophin and made a noise of discontent. "I seem to have mistaken wisdom at this table for folly," he added more to himself than the rest.

Haldir flinched and made to stand, but a hand on his shoulder stopped him. "Perhaps…you wish to be excused," advised Celeborn. Haldir nodded, and Celeborn returned the nod.

Standing, Haldir opened his mouth to say something, but instead turned and left. He could feel the tears burning his eyes, and was not about to give Elrond such satisfaction.

As he made his way down the stairs, he could hear the voice of the Lord of Imladris. He barely made it two flights before the words that drifted down in the night air hit him with such force that he slid to the ground, his back against the trunk. Drawing up his knees, he thanked the Valar his tears came silently as he wept.

- - -

"Adar, I need a sword. And I need a bow." Dinendal took a deep breath and sighed. "As soon as I am paid for my service, I shall have weapons of my own made and Lothir can have his back. I promise. I swear it."

Lothinal shook his head. "No. You will have to tell the Captain you are ill prepared for this position. Lothir," the elf said, addressing the elf standing in the doorway, "you should go with your brother, show the Captain you have weapons. He knows you're good, surely you will be allowed to join the Galadhrim when he dismisses your brother."

"Nay, I will not." Lothir crossed his arms, leaning against the doorway. "I wish to earn my own place in their ranks. There will be another time."

Dinendal swallowed and looked at his brother, thinking perhaps he finally had a chance. "Lothir, would you consider it? Allowing me to use your weapons until the time I could get my own?"

Lothir snorted, and then cocked his head to one side. "I might. If you begged me nicely."

"Please, Lothir?" Dinendal asked without hesitation. "Just for a short time, then I shall bring them back."

Lothir looked at his brother, unimpressed. "You don't sound like you really want them that badly."

"I don't know what you're looking for," Dinendal admitted.

"Try it again," suggested Lothir. "On your knees."

Below the flet, Haldir was looking up and shaking his head. 'Don't, Dinendal. Don't do it,' he pleaded, trying to reach out with his mind to the young elf. He feared he did not know him well enough to make a connection, and strained to hear what was said next.

Dinendal slowly crossed the room to where his brother stood at the exit. "Keep your bloody weapons, you son of an orc." When Lothir raised his hand to strike his brother, Lothinal was holding him back in a flash.

"Don't be stupid," hissed Lothinal, glaring at Dinendal, who stood proudly in the doorway. "You would be arrested for attacking a warden." Lothinal narrowed his eyes at the other elf and snarled, "Get out. Don't come back.""Don't be stupid," hissed Lothinal, glaring at Dinendal, who stood proudly in the doorway. "You would be arrested for attacking a warden." Lothinal narrowed his eyes at the other elf and snarled, "Get out. Don't come back."

"I had no intention of it," Dinendal answered calmly. Without giving a thought to stopping in his chambers to collect anything, he turned and grasped the rope, climbing down. He heard Lothir start after him, and the voice of his father once more.

"Come, my son - my ONLY son. Let him leave, he is no child of mine."

Dinendal looked up into the branches, in time to see the door slide shut to the talan he had once called home. His throat tightened, and he gripped the rope as his lower lip trembled. One hand began to reach forward to climb back up. Perhaps he was not too late that he could not ask forgiveness for his words and actions.

"Sergeant?"

Dinendal looked down, spotting the Captain not far away. He glanced to the talan briefly, and then climbed the rest of the way down.

Haldir had decided to move away from the tree and appear as if he had only been passing by. Clasping his hands behind his back, he waited for Dinendal to make it to the bottom before he spoke. "I had finished weapons inspection for the rest of the recruits and had not yet seen you today."

Dinendal stood at attention and spoke clearly. "I regret to inform you I am without weapons at this time."

"Perhaps if you hadn't forgotten them in my talan, you would not be in that position."

Dinendal blinked. "Your talan, sir?"

Haldir gave a short nod. "Let us retrieve them, I wish to have the full inspection done before nightfall, and the sunlight fades."

Dinendal kept up with the brisk pace the Captain set as they moved closer to the inner city and further from the talan he had lived in all his life. Many times he stole looks back in the distance, even after he could see the tree no longer.

Near the Great Mallorn was a tree some did call the Lesser Mallorn in jest. It was not as tall and not as wide, not as golden and not as silver, but just as proud, and perhaps even older than the great tree that marked the center of the city. Haldir had once shared the dwellings above with his brothers, but now lived in the tree by himself, and entertained few in it. Dinendal placed a foot on the rope ladder with great reverence, climbing up slowly and carefully behind the Captain.

"I believe you left them in here," said Haldir, pointing toward a room to the left once they had entered the main flet. Dinendal followed Haldir into a room that was cluttered, but neatly cluttered, with things stacked so that they could be easily moved and items wrapped in white cloths or placed in wooden boxes. Haldir picked up one such box and lifted the lid, pulling out a long sword, safely tucked in its scabbard. He handed it to Dinendal, who took it, trying not to let his jaw drop.

The young elf's eyes followed the Captain, watching him move to a corner where he pulled something long and wrapped in cloth out of a round wicker basket that stood waist-high. Pulling away the cloth, Haldir smiled as he unveiled the carefully carved bow, handing it to Dinendal.

"Your weapons seem more than suitable for practice," nodded Haldir, folding the cloth. "When you have reached the proper level of discipline with them, you will be given the weapons of the Galadhrim."

"But…" Dinendal looked up with confusion. "These aren't my weapons."

"Yes, they are," said Haldir quietly, placing the folded cloth in the box and closing it.

"But…" Dinendal paused. "You heard what my family said."

"Some of it," came the answer.

Dinendal lowered his head. "Thank you, Captain, but I can not accept your offer," he said sadly.

"Why not?" Haldir stood and approached the elf, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Do you no longer wish to be a march warden?"

"No, that is not my problem. I fear I have become too bold and have alienated myself from my family. Insulting both my brother and my father was not the wisest of things I have done," he said ruefully. "Not only do I have no weapons, but I now have nothing, including no place to sleep."

"Dinendal, answer me something. What is held in your hands?"

"Weapons," said Dinendal dumbly after a moment.

"Whose weapons?" prodded Haldir.

"Your-" Dinendal stopped as Haldir shook his head. "My weapons?" He received a nod.

"Yes, those are your weapons. I expect them to be used with pride, and with skill. You show promise as a soldier, but also as an elf."

Dinendal had a fleeting moment of joy before saying, "I have lost everything I have known."

"Think of this not as an end to what you knew, but as the beginning of a new adventure for you," suggested Haldir. "In eight weeks time, if all goes well, you will be a fully installed officer of the Galadhrim. As an officer, you are permitted your own private flet within the city. It won't be much, you'll share the tree with two or three other officers, but it will be yours. Until that time, I invite you into my home." Haldir walked through the doorway and into the main room, motioning to another door to the side. "I am often away, though when I am here, I do prefer peace. If you are agreeable to that-"

"I am quiet as a mouse," promised Dinendal, then he blushed, and added, "Most of the time. Sir."

"Yes, I know," smiled Haldir. He pulled back a curtain that separated the spare room from the main parlor and gave the occupant some privacy. "I have a friend in Mirkwood who does on occasion use these quarters, so you will forgive the inordinate amount of green," said Haldir.

"Oh, I very much like it," said Dinendal, not adding that after so many days of practice, anything was better than grey.

"I will let you settle in. I must report to the Lord and Lady," said Haldir. Dinendal bowed, walking into the room to explore it further. Haldir nearly pulled the curtain closed, but as an afterthought, said, "When I return, I shall be having a late supper sent to me. Have you eaten, or would you care to join me?"

"Well, I…" Dinendal started again. "I wouldn't wish to intrude."

"It isn't an intrusion," Haldir assured him. "You are my guest."

"Actually, I've not eaten all day," admitted Dinendal.

Haldir nodded, having suspected as much. "I shall have the server bring something up. If he should arrive before I return, tell him we shall eat in the reading room."

Dinendal nodded. "Thank you, Captain."

"Haldir."

"Thank you, Captain Haldir."

"Please, if we're not on duty, just Haldir."

"Yes, of course, Captain Haldir." Dinendal straightened when he received a frown. "Haldir. Just Haldir."

"We'll work on that." Haldir pulled the curtain closed and left in search of his parents.

Galadriel did not look up from the basin she was staring into. "Good evening, Captain."

"My lady."

"Haldir."

"Yes, my lady?"

Galadriel looked up, narrowing her eyes at the grinning elf on the other side of her mirror. "Haldir," she said again, rather flatly.

Leaning over the basin, Haldir kissed her cheek and stepped back into place. "Yes, Nana?"

"I see your troops have passed inspection."

Haldir nodded.

"You've taken on quite a responsibility."

Haldir shrugged. "We needed more soldiers," he said, but he looked into the mirror, seeing an image of Dinendal exploring the green room of the talan, smiling as he opened desk drawers and lifted the bedcovers. "I couldn't leave him there."

"What you did was noble." Galadriel looked up, her eyes meeting Haldir's. "Very noble." She leaned across, kissing him on the cheek now. "I'm proud of you."

"I wish it hadn't happened like this," admitted Haldir, stepping down from the mirror. "It should have been his father giving him his first sword."

"A father should always give his son his first sword," agreed Galadriel as Haldir left the garden.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=164