Reflections by Zhie
Summary: There's this bridge in Rivendell that REALLY needs to be repaired...
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Third Age Characters: Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond, Estel
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 795 Read: 4053 Published: December 26 2007 Updated: December 26 2007

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
"Now, Estel, this might very well be the most important lesson you ever learn," Elladan said solemnly as they walked swiftly to the water.

"Not to mention," added Elrohir, "this will call upon all of your former training in stealth, speed, and silence."

The half-elf -- for at the time he thought he was a peredhel -- nodded as he was given instructions from his older brothers and soon they were in position. He did not have to wait long for the lesson to begin.

"Oh, thank you Lady Cristhrasaras," sighed Elrohir. A short time passed before Elladan made his compliments.

"Tinnueth, Tinnueth, you enchanting beauty, I do not know where you are running to, but how I wish you would have slowed your pace."

And so the quiet comments continued as the time wore on, with no response returned from those who were being complimented. It was quite late in the afternoon when Lord Elrond happened outside in time to hear the voice of his eldest say:

"I am in your debt, Faervelui, for your dalliance this day!"

He also heard what he thought was the snicker of his other son and his young charge. What puzzled him was that he saw no one, save a maiden crossing the bridge that arched over a large pond in the gardens. The elleth stopped near the center of the bridge and placed her hands on the railing, peering down into the waters below. A light breeze caught her skirts and Elrond narrowed his eyes as he finally noted movement just beneath one side of the bridge in the tall grassed that grew wild. The elleth smoothed her dress out modestly and continued on her way.

"Haradien… if only you would have bent over a little further, and yet, I thank you for the view…"

Lord Elrond glared in the direction of the voices as he approached, but before he could call out to those under the bridge, he noted another lady of the court coming up the path. Not wishing to make a scene, he continued to weave closer to his sons, but did so noiselessly.

"I heard a rumor in the barracks that Gūrauthiel wears no undergarments," whispered Elrohir to Elladan, the words only just loud enough for their father to hear. The lady in question now approached and crossed the bridge, curtseyed to Elrond as she passed, and went on her way after he nodded his head to her.

"A Elbereth, Gil-tho-ni-el!" Elladan gave a low whistle. "How does such gossip come to your ears?"

Elrond, having heard quite enough, and quite a lot more than he ever wished to know about Lady Gūrauthiel, waited until said lady was most assuredly out of range before swooping down on his twin sons, grabbing hold of each by an ear. "What in the name of Manwe is going on here?" he demanded sternly.

"And as you can see, Estel, the way that the salmon swim upstream makes them ideal for spearing this time of year!" Elladan managed to say between cries of pain, pulling at the grass with his fingers.

Lord Elrond did not let go - instead, he tightened his grip and twisted his fingers, and from the yelp Elrohir gave, Estel was more than happy he had been a peredhel born without tips on his ears. "Down - there - the - reflections!" Elrohir was able to manage, thrusting his hand forward.

Elrond let go of his sons' ears, glancing across the pond. He could see the shimmer on the surface, and a mirror image of the underside of the bridge above in the water below. He was answered fully as Faervelui, a kitchen maid, crossed the bridge with a basket of apples against her hip, completely oblivious of the peredhil beneath the bridge as she whistled to herself.

With his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide, Lord Elrond stood and watched Faervelui pass beyond them and continue to the house.

"You seem to have seen what we were looking at," smirked Elladan to his father.

"I did no such thing," answered Elrond sharply. "There was a glare on the pond and I didn't see a thing!" He held his head high, glaring down at his sons. "I shall have to see to it that the grass beneath the bridge is trimmed and the slope made steeper. The gaps between the slats in the bridge need to be mended as well. I shall have to speak with the carpenters right away." Elrond turned quickly and left for the house, lest his sons see the blush spreading across his cheeks.

Rubbing his sore ear as his father swiftly departed, Elrohir gave his brothers a sly look and said, "He was staring."
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=166