Rock Me Gently by Zhie
Summary: Immediately follows 'Choices'. Loosely based upon Erasure's song 'Rock Me Gently'. Elladan and Elrohir make their choice.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Fourth Age Characters: Elladan, Elrond, Erestor, Glorfindel
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Dramatic, Lyrical or Songfic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 908 Read: 2740 Published: December 26 2007 Updated: December 26 2007

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
Past five in the morning, feeling worse for the weather it seems
But what a feeling, what an endless night this has been


"Why not go and get some rest yourself?"

"I am not leaving him, not tonight," whispered Glorfindel sternly. Elladan let out a sigh.

"I will stay here with him until morning, Glorfindel. Please go and rest," begged Elrohir.

Glorfindel sat unblinking at the nearly still form, outlined in the light that streamed in from the moon. Only just slightly did the injured elf's chest rise and fall, and it took everything for Glorfindel to keep from screaming at the sight. "No. I am staying here."

And we can't stay here, 'cause we won't be forever young
We'll have to go down before innocence is lost


Elrohir nodded and began to leave. "I am sailing," spoke up Elladan. Elrohir paused and turned. "I am going West," his brother continued, "after Erestor recovers."

"As am I," Elrohir heard himself say, and he looked at the floor with some surprise before leaving down the hall.

Elladan placed a hand upon Glorfindel's shoulder. "Are you sure you do not want me to stay here?"

"Positive." Glorfindel placed a hand upon Elladan's without looking up. "Go. Elrohir needs you."

Sadly, Elladan nodded. "I know," he said. He stepped forward to the side of Erestor's bed and bowed his head to whisper a blessing before leaving the room, making his way hesitantly toward the rooms he shared with his twin brother.

And I dream you're with me
You hold me sweetly
And rock me gently to sleep
In your arms


Glorfindel rubbed his eyes and leaned forward in the large rocking chair he had pulled up to the bed as soon as he had gotten Erestor settled earlier that day. His vigil began shortly after returning and personally tending the burns on Erestor's body. He spent only a brief time speaking with the twins before returning to the healing room. Food had been brought, but Glorfindel refused to eat until Erestor could.

Once again he blinked his eyes to keep them open and stood up to stretch his limbs. His feet took him to the bed, and he looked down at the helpless form as his chin trembled. Kneeling beside the bed, his elbows propped up on the mattress, he folded his hands and leaned his forehead against them. "I should never have let you go alone," he finally said, despite the fact that Erestor could not hear him at the moment.

"You might hate me for it, but I am not letting you wander off anywhere without me ever again. Not here, not across the sea, and I will follow you to the Halls of Mandos if you insist on doing such dangerous things!" admonished Glorfindel. He paused to rub the tears from his eyes and rested his head upon his arms, frowning at the still elf who did not answer.

Expecting Erestor would not appreciate waking up to find someone half asleep and leaning against the bed, Glorfindel pulled the rocker closer to the bed so that his knees were inches from the mattress. He leaned forward and readjusted the sheet, carefully lifted Erestor's head and fluffed the pillow, and checked a decidedly horrible burn on the dark elf's cheek before leaning back in the chair to weep silently to himself.

And I dream you're with me
You hold me sweetly
And rock me gently to sleep
In your arms


"El?" Elladan closed the door to the bedroom and peered around the darkness. "El, where are you hiding?"

There was a glimmer of light coming from the porch, and Elladan was drawn to it, finding his brother on a bench with his face buried in his arms. He was asleep, and Elladan affectionately stroked his brother's hair once he had approached.

"You do not have to follow me, El. I will not hold you to this, if you want to stay. I will not be bitter like father was about his brother." Ignoring the tears that were falling from his eyes, Elladan added, "I will love you, whether you be elf or man."

Deciding the porch was a poor place to leave his brother to sleep, Elladan gathered up his brother and took him back inside.

And I dream you're with me
You hold me sweetly
And rock me gently to sleep
In your arms


Glorfindel looked up upon feeling a hand on his, and found Erestor studying him through worried half-closed eyes. "Are you alright?" questioned a soft voice.

It was all Glorfindel could do to keep from sobbing again as Erestor pushed the cover down without so much as a wince and scooted over to the seat of the rocker to join Glorfindel. "No, you are going to hurt yourself," insisted Glorfindel as he attempted to carefully move Erestor back to the bed, but the dark haired elf shushed him as he drew an arm slowly around the blond.

"You can sleep, Glorfindel, I am not plagued by nightmares. I dreamed you were with me, and all was well. Hush, now, do not cry." Erestor soothingly crooned as he held him sweetly, tipping the chair forward and back by pushing against the edge of the mattress with his foot. "It is all over now, Fin, I am home and nothing can hurt me here," he assured him as he rocked him gently to sleep.

In his arms.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=168