Erestory, or, The Orange Plot Bunnies by Zhie
Summary: With the aid of Erestor and Glorfindel, Orophin launches a campaign to 'Get Haldir Laid', and embarks on an adventure of his own.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Fourth Age Characters: Celebdreth, Celeborn, Celebrian, Elladan, Elodien, Elrohir, Elrond, Galadriel, Glorfindel, Haldir, Mitzi, Nenniach, Orophin, Rumil, Tallasinde, Valarda, Vilya
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic, Dramatic, Lyrical or Songfic, Romantic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 7061 Read: 9406 Published: January 23 2008 Updated: January 23 2008

1. Promises, Promises by Zhie

2. Temptation :: 58 by Zhie

Promises, Promises by Zhie
“If only there were a way to make the two of them talk to each other again.” Erestor gathered up the loose cards from the top of the table that sat on the patio behind the cottage on the cliff. House of the Silver Stars and Golden Flower was formally the name of their residence, but after some time, it had been simply referred to as ‘the cottage’. From where they sat, they could look down over most of Valinor, and especially they could keep an eye on the goings on at the First Homely House, the residence on the shore below, which sported a pink picket fence and a matching coat of pink paint in the places where the cream-colored brick did not dominate the structure.

Setting down his glass of lemonade the other occupant of the cottage said, “I could grab one, you grab the other, we force them into a room, and lock the door.”

Erestor glared at Glorfindel. “Wait, no,” amended the blond, “we get them drunk first, then we-“

“Fin. I’m serious.”

“No, you’re Erestor.”

Shuffling the deck of cards, Erestor looked over his shoulder at the orchard. “Winter is coming soon this year. Already, the leaves are dropping.”

“I know you’re worried about Haldir and Elodien and their tree, but that birch is sturdy. It would take a monumental storm to bring it down.” Glorfindel pulled the pile of cards he’d been dealt towards himself. “I was thinking we could ask if Aerlinniel wants to stay over at the pink house, and then Haldir and Elodien could have the extra room here.”

“No, I promised Cirdan his youngest daughter would stay here, where she’s safe from a house full of...” Erestor waved his free hand in the direction of the house below them that was set on the sea. “Besides, her sisters are staying at the pink house when Aerlinniel arrives here this spring. It would be too much of a distraction. Cut the deck, Fin.”

“Ah, I trust you.” Glorfindel flipped over the top card, setting it next to the pile. “The lady of love... and her son,” he said, placing the prince of hearts over the queen. “What if something does happen to the tree house?”

Erestor sighed and slapped a three of hearts onto the pile. “Then we hope they come to their senses, put this behind them, talk things out- but I promise you, that tree is not coming down.”

- - -

“Good morning.” Entering the bedroom, Glorfindel nudged the door closed again. In his hands, he carried a tray with a steaming plate of potato hash and pancakes smothered in warm peaches, topped with freshly whipped cream.

“Mmmhmph.” Erestor rolled over, eyes still closed, and tried to burrow back down into the nest of blankets he had been sleeping in. Glorfindel noted with an amused smile that the pillow he himself used was snuggled in Erestor’s arms.

Glorfindel set the tray down on the table, then wiped the flour from the back of his hand onto the plain green apron he was still wearing. “Made you breakfast.” He stuck his finger in the cream and sucked it off. “With peaches on top.”

“Uhnhnnthnnks.”

Drawing the curtains open, Glorfindel tied them back as Erestor pulled the blankets over his head. “Oh, look, the old maple fell last night.”

“Mhhh?”

“The one that is- was- next to the birch tree. Seems to have taken the flet on the birch with it.”

There was nothing for a moment, followed by, “What the f-“

“Fruit with that?” Glorfindel produced a pair of apples from the pocket of his tunic. “Just picked them myself.”

Erestor leaped from the bed and ran bleary-eyed to the window with one hand still holding Glorfindel’s pillow, which he used to bop his lover out of his way. “The birch tree- Haldir and Elodien-“

“-are downstairs in front of the fire, having breakfast. They want to speak to you...” Glorfindel watched Erestor toss the pillow onto the bed as he briskly left the room. As he listened to the dark elf’s bare feet hitting each of the steps, he smirked to himself and walked casually to the closet to pull out a robe, then he held out as he heard the footsteps suddenly halt and race back up again. Snatching the robe from Glorfindel, a red-faced dark-haired elf quickly put it on over his naked form. “... about talking to Elrond about everything. Haldir wants to move back into the house, Elodien just wants this to be over. They thought it would be best to come to you first,” finished Glorfindel.

Giving a curt nod as he fastened the robe, Erestor said, “I suppose one last time in service to Elrond as advisor won’t hurt.”

- - -

In a house, on the very eastern shore of Valinor, lived a large family of elves. They called the house the First Homely House, for it was the very first house one would come to from the sea to the east, and the very last when traveling back from the western edge of the island. It was a strong house, with a large room with a fire that was good for telling stories or singing songs, and other rooms for eating and drinking, or just living in general. It was home to Elrond, his wife and their family, and her extended family- her very extended family – and their pet pink flamingo, Mitzi, from which the House of Elrond earned its name. Despite all who lived here, there was, as there would always be, one master of the house.

Elrond sat at his desk with his hands folded serenely in front of him. Haldir’s poise was calm and relaxed, though he stood solidly with his chin up and his arms behind his back.

Erestor had a pad of paper on the arm of his chair, one hand resting over it. After speaking to Haldir and Elodien about their concerns, Erestor had come down from the cliff to talk to Elrond about the events that had transpired. It hadn’t taken very long to get Elrond to agree to the late afternoon meeting, but it wasn’t going the way Erestor had anticipated. The assumption was that a few apologies followed by the customary hugs would end the tension. Erestor had not expected it to take so long just for the two of them to decide who would speak first. He cleared his throat, which seemed to jog Elrond’s memory enough to begin.

“The storm last night appears to have left you temporarily homeless, and of course, I open my home to you just as it has been open. As for your... recent living arrangements... it has been brought to my attention that I can do nothing to stop the inevitable,” said Elrond. “That does not mean I am simply about to allow you complete freedom in this situation. There are rules I expect to have followed and proper measures which shall be taken.”

Haldir said nothing, merely nodding at all of the appropriate times.

“If you are serious, I expect a formal betrothal ceremony to take place, here at the house, before any further…intimacies…occur.”

“I would make that vow tonight,” Haldir said in earnest.

“No, the ceremony shall be planned properly. I believe that a month from now is a fair estimate of the time it shall take. Secondly, I know you have not actually bonded yet. And you will not until she is come of age.”

“She has come of age!” argued Haldir.

Elrond stood, daring Haldir to continue. “She is eighty-four. You will not…claim her…until she has reached one-hundred.” He sat down once more. “She is peredhel, not eldar. She may be past her ‘elf-majority’, but she has yet to mature. Or can you not wait sixteen years? Or have you already done something which I should know about?”

Haldir snorted. “No, we have not physically bonded yet. Have you so little faith in me? I am an honorable ellon. I would wait forever for her.”

“Good. It will not be so difficult for you, then,” Elrond said as he once more sat down.

Haldir glanced to Erestor, who had a look of sympathy for Haldir but said nothing. “It isn’t fair, my lord. You know as well as I do that you were bonded before you married. Even before your betrothal, you and Celebrian-“

“This isn’t about Celebrian and I!” Elrond stood again, his hands pressed to the top of the desk. He leaned over, staring into Haldir’s eyes. “Elodien is a child and I will have her sure of her choice before she makes it.”

Haldir placed his own hands on the top of the desk and leaned closer. “This isn’t about Elodien, is it? This is about Arwen.”

“No, Haldir, this is about you,” Elrond told him in complete honesty. “Your emotions have overtaken you this past year, and I do not wish to see my granddaughter hurt.”

“Fine,” spat Haldir. “Sixteen years. That I can easily wait. But we shall be engaged when we decide, and if that means tonight, so be it.”

“YOU will decide nothing.”

“If I may,” spoke Erestor. “Haldir, you know, there are others you will want here for your ceremony. A month is not very long. At the same time, Elrond, they have lived four months together and have been honorable to one another. I think you may need to think of what is best for Elodien and Haldir, and not what is best for you. Perhaps you think waiting nearly two decades is a good thing, but on the other hand, did you?” Erestor was given perhaps the nastiest look Elrond had ever directed towards him.

“Fine. We can write up a more acceptable contract later.” Elrond frowned at the small concession he was making. Pointing a finger at Haldir, he said, “I expect you to continue to respect Elodien while the two of you are here. Do not prove Erestor wrong, Haldir.”

“I would never dream of such a thing,” Haldir said.

Elrond nodded. “Your rooms are as you left them, I believe. I assume you will wish to rest after your ordeal last night. Your mother was fixing Elodien’s rooms for her, and-“

“Separate rooms?!” boomed Haldir.

“Yes, separate rooms.” Elrond glared at Haldir. “It is still proper for unmarried couples to sleep in separate rooms, is it not?”

“We’ve been sharing a bed for the entire summer, and never, NEVER, has anything shameful happened!” Haldir argued.

“Nor will it, if you are in separate rooms,” said Elrond, folding his hands before him. Erestor began to open his mouth, but he was unable to say anything before Haldir did.

“But I love her!”

“Then, we understand each other well, for I love her as well. That is why I do as I must,” replied Elrond.

- -

There was as much friction on the porch as there was in the study.

“Gramma, please!” Elodien grasped Celebrian’s arm. “Please, please, tell him not to do this- he will listen to you!” The window to Elrond’s study was open, and everything being said could be heard on the porch below, where Celebrian and Glorfindel sat, and Elodien nervously fretted.

“Elodien, he and I have spoken about this at great lengths, and this is something we have decided upon together,” said Celebrian. Elodien closed her eyes and let out a muffled little whine. “Hush- if he hears you, you will sound like a child to him. Hush, Elodien.” Celebrian shook her head when Elodien stomped off. “This is exactly why he is right to require this of the two of you.”

Beside her, she missed Glorfindel rolling his eyes. “Hopefully, Erestor will talk some sense into Elrond over all of this. He is being absolutely unreasonable.”

- -

The problem with open windows and elves is that sometimes, you can hear both ways.

Elrond’s eyes nearly set the curtains that waved aflame, and moments later he set his eyes upon Erestor. “I think perhaps it is time you and your... husband,” he said, grinding the word out, “returned home. There appears to be a storm on the horizon, and I would hate for you to be caught in it.”

Pretending he had heard none of the conversation from below, Erestor said, “Elrond, until we are finished here-“

“We are finished.”

“Ah... shall I return tomorrow to aid with drafting the contract?” asked Erestor as he gathered up the papers he had.

“I do not think I shall need your services any longer. You are dismissed.”

One hand gripped the arm of the chair he had been standing beside, as if he had been hit physically. “Elrond, I-“

“Please, have Celebrian show you out if you do not know the way. Oh, and Erestor,” called Elrond as the ex-counselor walked numbly to the doorway. Erestor turned his head slowly, and obviously hurt look upon his face. “I would appreciate it if you and Glorfindel would let us know before you decide to simply drop by. Usually, it’s the least guests can do before they just show up.”

- - -

“This isn’t right at all.” Glorfindel paced up and down the beach as the tide washed over his feet. “What I should be doing right now is explaining to that little brat just what we sacrificed to make sure his ancestors made it out of Gondolin so he could huff and puff around. I swear, Ress, I’m going to go up there and punch him in the nose.”

“Please... don’t,” said Erestor, blowing his nose into his handkerchief. “It’s not worth the fight.”

“What if I just punch him in the mouth? Wait, no, he should make apology to you, then I’ll punch him in the mouth,” plotted Glorfindel, hitting his fist into his open hand.

“No, no punching him at all,” scolded Erestor, which didn’t sound very convincing as he sniffled and blew his nose again. “I’m trying to put myself in his place. I know he is just trying to protect Elodien, and in some way, I believe he thinks he is protecting Haldir from another potential heartbreak as well.”

Glorfindel peered around the cliff that concealed them from the occupants of the First Homely House. They had not left for their cottage, but instead Glorfindel followed Erestor as he wandered down the beach much like a lost dog that has been turned out by its master, looking back at the house now and again. They had ended up on the shore, and when the waves began to rise, took shelter in the safety of the alcove. As twilight came, it appeared that Erestor had no intention of going back to their home that night. “What if I just box his ears or stomp on his feet?”

“Fin, no.”

“Honestly, you take all of the fun out of it.” Glorfindel sat down beside Erestor and asked, “What if I go to the stables and get a bucket of muck and dump it over his head?”

“Yes.”

“Yes?” Glorfindel perked up, quite hopeful.

For a moment, Erestor stared at him with teary eyes. “No. Don’t do that, either.” Clearing his throat, Erestor coughed and then leaned against Glorfindel. “You can take something so serious and always manage to make it funny.”

“I’m sorry,” said Glorfindel quickly.

“No... thank you, darling. I needed a little cheering up,” he said, and chuckled to himself to think of Glorfindel dumping a bucket of brown goop over Elrond’s head.

“So... do I get to toss muck on Elrond?”

“No.”

Glorfindel wrapped his arms around Erestor. “Fair enough, but you’ll tell me if that changes, right?”

“You’ll be the first to know,” Erestor assured him before dozing off. Glorfindel maneuvered the slumbering elf into a better position before gazing out over the water to watch the moon rise.

- - -

“Uncle Oro, we have something for you.” Pulling a box out from beneath his cloak, Elrohir handed it to his uncle, who had been on his way to the kitchen for a late night snack. “It isn’t much, but-“

“-we knew how upset you would be,” explained Elladan.

“That tree was your home away from home,” added Elrohir.

Orophin held the box he had been given by his nephews. “Well, thank you.” Observing the medium-sized box made of pressed paper that had once held taffies delivered from the confectionary that Celeborn’s mother, Lhunerin, operated in Valimar, Orophin tried to reflect upon exactly what the occasion might be. Shaking the box gently, Orophin looked up at them and asked, “What tree?”

“Your tree- the one that was in the back, next to Haldir’s birch. You claimed the maple, don’t you recall?” asked Elladan.

Shifting his eyes to the side, Orophin sadly could not recall. But, that didn’t stop him from pretending that he did. “Oh... oh! Oh, not the maple!”

“It’s alright, uncle.” Elladan and Elrohir had sidled up next to Orophin on either side, and were patting him on the shoulder. “As we said, we know how much you loved that tree. So, we made this for you.” Elrohir lifted up the lid, and Elladan pulled out the gift that was inside.

“We hope you like him.”

- - -

“Something happen to my tree?”

“Our tree,” Valarda emphasized. She was lounging on the bed, reading a book. Her feet were up in the air, and perched upon them with its floppity ears hanging down, was an orange stuffed rabbit to match the one that Orophin held as he closed the door.

“Fine, our tree, then.” Orophin hopped the bunny over the air, making it sniff at the bunny on Valarda’s feet. “I gots a bunny, I gots a bunny.”

“Me, too. So, phhht!” She frowned to note that she had spat all over her book. “So, what did you name her?”

“Her? Mine’s a him,” Orophin said defiantly. “El and El said so.”

“Then where’s his parts?”

Orophin examined the rabbit. “They’re just... well, stuffed bunnies don’t have them. They’d scare small children and Haldir. Besides, everyone knows that boys get boy bunnies and girls get girl bunnies.”

“Haldir has a girl bunny.”

“Nibbles is a girl?” A grin spread across Orophin’s face. “I have mischief to manage, darling.” He leaned over and gave Valarda a peck on the cheek, then waded back through the mess on the floor to get to the door. “Oh, sweetcheeks, what happened to the tree?”

“I don’t know,” replied his wife. “But I wasn’t going to say no to a stuffed bunny.”

- - -

Yawning, Haldir stretched and blinked at the sunlight that streamed through the window. Rubbing his eyes, he felt empty waking up without Elodien beside him. Instead, there was a stuffed rabbit in his arms.

It took a few minutes before he realized that the rabbit was orange, and not purple.

Scrambling out of bed, Haldir grabbed the orange rabbit by the scruff of the neck and marched out of the room, glancing into open doorways as he went. When he made it to the first floor, he went directly to the parlor, somehow knowing that was where he would find his beloved Nibbles.

The room was empty, but he could hear a snickering coming from behind the large chair that Elrond favored. “Orophin, I know you’re there.”

Over the top of the chair, a fluffy stuffed bunny head popped up. “Hewwo, Halli! It’s me, Nibbows!” squeeked a falsetto voice.

“Orophin, I want my bunny back.”

“Wook, anotha bunny! Wet’s be fwiends!” Nibbles appeared to be quite happily bouncy about this, her ears flopping about.

“Give her back and I won’t have to hurt you.”

“That’s right! She’s a she-bunny!” Orophin flipped Nibbles around so that her fluffy white tail faced Haldir. “Hewwo, widdle owange bunny!” called out the high-pitched bunny voice. “Wet’s get to know each otha and make fwuffy bunny babies.”

Haldir grabbed hold of Nibbles and at the same moment tossed the orange stuffed rabbit over the back of the chair, bopping Orophin on the head with it. “Hey, that’s no way to treat Sir Ninnykins!” When no answer came, Orophin peeked out over the top of the chair. “Halli?” There was no one else in the room. With a sigh, Orophin tucked his rabbit under one arm and headed outside, thinking that Haldir may have gone to his log on the beach, to sit and brood.

There was no one on the beach either, not on first glance. As he came past the pink picket fence and moved along the shore, he saw a pair down near an alcove that was partially hidden. Waving to them, Orophin jogged along the shoreline until he reached Glorfindel and Erestor. “Little early for a morning walk, isn’t it?”

“Shh. We don’t want Elrond to know we’re here,” whispered Erestor. He was sitting on the sand, while Glorfindel was leaning against the rock cliff of the alcove, fists balled up. The slayer looked as if he wanted to hit something, or perhaps someone. “He’s a bit sore with us.”

“Why? What’s up his rear-end now?” questioned Orophin. The events, as viewed by Erestor and Glorfindel, were told to Orophin. “What a ninny. So, what do we do about it?”

“Erestor doesn’t want to do anything,” Glorfindel said bluntly. “I’d like to-“

“We’ve been through that already,” Erestor said, reaching up to pull Glorfindel down beside him. “None of that.”

“Whatever Glorfindel was thinking, I’m in!” Orophin managed to squeeze himself between the pair. “When do we start?”

Erestor shook his head. “No. Nothing violent. We can’t jeopardize Elodien and Haldir’s relationship.”

“I won’t let him get away without apologizing to you for what he said,” Glorfindel vowed. “No one makes my Ress cry and gets away with it. Not even Elrond has that right.”

“Elrond made you cry?” questioned Orophin, but there was the same hint of anger in his voice that had been full force in Glorfindel’s. “That’s just wrong. I know he has issues, but he has to stop with the making grown elves cry thing.” Orophin plopped his new stuffed rabbit on his lap. “How is it that such a grump like Elrond had two wonderful, silly, caring sons like Elladan and Elrohir?”

“Because we raised them,” answered Glorfindel and Erestor in one voice. Orophin flopped his orange bunny back and forth, and Glorfindel nudged the little black nose. “Who is this?”

“Sir Ninnykins. At least, unless I think of something better. The twins made him for me. Like it?” questioned Orophin.

“Sounds like something Elrond would be referred to,” chuckled Glorfindel. “Lord Ninny, keeper of the PINK HOUSE!”

“Hush, Fin, keep your voice down,” Erestor scolded.

“What, you don’t want me to say that LORD NINNY lives in a PINK HOUSE?” Glorfindel grinned, Erestor groaned, and Orophin collapsed between them in laughter. “Fine, I won’t say that LORD NINNYPOOP is the lord of a PINK GIRLY HOUSE.”

“Hey, hey, I like pink,” scolded Orophin, sobering up. “Wait, that could work.”

“What?” asked Glorfindel.

“The Ninnykins thing. We can’t go shouting it- well, the two of you can’t. I can. And I will,” he said smirking to himself. “The two of you will need to find other ways.”

Giving Orophin an odd look, Erestor asked, “Why would we do this?”

“Because it will absolutely without a doubt infuriate him. Then, we promise to stop if he promises to not be an ass. And to apologize to you, too.” Orophin stuck his right hand, palm facing down, out in front of him. “I call this meeting of the order of the delegation of ourselves to order and such. Actually, let’s call ourselves... ”

“Let’s not call ourselves anything,” advised Erestor.

“But then we can’t have flags and banners and things made with our logo on them,” pouted Orophin. “We need a name.”

“What about ‘Elrond Sucks’,” suggested Glorfindel. This was shot down by a look from Erestor.

“How about this- we call it ‘Operation Ninnykins’ Because, it’s ON. Get it? It’s ON.” Orophin rolled his eyes at the blank looks. “I think it’s an expression from Rohan or Gondor or something. Means, it has started, it has begun, it’s time to kick some butt.”

“No, no butt kicking,” argued Erestor, to which Glorfindel mumbled, “I only wanted to punch him in the mouth.”

Orophin did a double take towards Glorfindel then grabbed hold of Erestor’s wrist with his left hand and Glorfindel’s with his right. “I make a motion to adopt the name ‘Operation Ninnykins’ for the mischief we shall cause. All those in favor, signify by raising your hand.” Orophin yanked their arms up in the air. “Unanimous! Operation Ninnykins it is!” He reached his hand out in front of him after letting go of Glorfindel and Erestor. “It’s ON.”

Erestor stared at Orophin’s hand for a moment, and then placed his atop of it. “It’s ON,” he agreed, just before Glorfindel added his hand and said the same.

“Excellent. Now... let us plot.”
Temptation :: 58 by Zhie
Author's Notes:
The King's Kastle is introduced to the music of the Harad, and Elrond finally comes to a decision.
“Erestor, I don’t know if you noticed, but Elrond and most of his house is here,” whispered Thranduil over the counter to the dark-haired elf who sat sipping a glass of wine as he scribbled lines of poetry on a pad of paper. Erestor did not bother looking up.

“I have no intention on going into his house uninvited,” replied the ellon calmly, “but if he wants to come to a public place he has to understand that there will sometimes be others there that he does not necessarily wish to have business with. Besides, I was here first.”

“You do know, this isn’t the original King’s Kastle,” Thranduil told him, filling Erestor’s wine glass to the top.

“No? Pity.” Waving to an open area, Erestor said, “I thought that spot used to be bigger. I miss the curtains. They were wonderful for hiding behind and...” Now Erestor looked up, but at the elf beside him. “Yes, what?”

Glorfindel smirked. “Nothing. Just wondering what you were doing behind the curtains and with whom.”

“With whom? Who do you think?” Erestor’s gaze traveled across the room. At a small grouping of tables that were set up, Galadriel listened as Elrond spoke to her and other members of the household. “Don’t worry,” he said, patting Glorfindel on the cheek before returning to his poetry, “she’s much more high maintenance than you are, and her husband would probably beat me within an inch of my life if I were to suggest to her a bit of snogging in an alcove somewhere.”

“It’s her husband you’re worried about?” questioned Glorfindel with amusement. “Let me remind you,” he said, taking hold of Erestor’s wrist and lifting it up from the paper for a moment, “that you have your own husband. Protective, and possessive, husband.”

“So noted.” Erestor rubbed his nose against Glorfindel’s and then went back to his work.

“Dance with me?”

“What?” Erestor chuckled at the pout he was being given. “Dance with you. Dance with you here?” He closed his book and placed it aside on the counter. “Here, in front of everyone?”

Glorfindel nodded adamantly as Erestor shuffled his papers together and set them upon the book. “We never dance anymore.”

“We... have never danced before,” Erestor informed his lover as he stood up from his stool. “Not that I will object, but why now?”

Glorfindel tried to keep his eyes focused on Erestor’s, but a look flickered in Elrond and Galadriel’s general direction. A cheeky smirk appeared on Erestor’s lips. “How do we do this? Do you lead or do I?” questioned the blond.

“I am older, wiser, and taller. I lead.” Erestor laughed at Glorfindel’s pout as the younger ellon batted his sandy-colored eyelashes and mustered a soft puppyish whimper.

“But... but... I have never done anything but lead before,” muttered the golden elf.

“Worry not. I have taught numerous ellith how to dance.” The pout Glorfindel continued to give to Erestor only caused the darker elf’s smile to widen. “Hand here, hand here, and just lean into me and feel the music,” instructed Erestor after he had positioned his lover.

Thankfully, the song being played was a slow, easy tempo, so the first few times that Glorfindel made an attempt to take control, the pair avoided crashing into anyone else. After a few mintues, Glorfindel relinquished any power he might have been trying to obtain. They were honestly one of the most graceful couples dancing, and with the way Glorfindel looked up and beamed at his lover while he was looked upon affectionately, by far the cutest.

---

“That is just... wrong.” Elrond crossed his arms over his chest, forgetting his drink. “I liked it better when they fought.”

“That makes two of us.” Galadriel was no longer tending to her beverage, either. Instead, she systematically plucked breadstick after breadstick from the holder on the table and snapped them into halves and fourths before moving to the next.

Celeborn exchanged a glance with his daughter, and picked up his mug. “I rather think they look adorable.” He hid his smile as he drank his beer. Beneath the table, Celebrian flicked her finger against her father’s arm- her way of scolding him. In return, she was poked in the wrist- his way of daring her to do better.

“Adorable? Nay.” Celebrian swirled her wine about in its bowl. “I think they would be quite insulted by that observation. Charming, perhaps,” she decided.

“Adorable? Charming? Pah.” Elrond picked up one of the mutilated breadsticks and chomped on it. “I liked it best when they were still fighting,” he stated once again.

On the dance floor, Erestor held Glorfindel close, singing softly in his ear. The blond kept his eyes closed, looking overjoyed and yet almost on the verge of tears.

Valarda watched a bit longer, then nudged her husband with her elbow. “I want to know what he is saying to him,” she whispered to him, and they excused themselves from the table to join the others who were dancing. “Just get us nice and close to them,” she told Orophin.

“Really? I thought you wanted me to keep as far a distance as possible,” teased Orophin. As they closed in, they strained to listen, and it was Orophin who heard the last few words Erestor sang before the song ended:

Stay with me
I’ll be
Your fantasy
You’ll never be alone

Just
Stay with me
We’ll be
Harmony
Everything will be
Alright


Valarda sighed and tilted her head after the words were relayed to her. “How romantic. Why do you never do anything romantic?”

“What? I take you dancing, I buy you a beer- what more do you want? Roses?” Orophin danced them back to the table as the next song started.

“It’s a start,” she answered thoughtfully.

Orophin plucked the flowers from a centerpiece of an unused table and handed them to her. “There. Roses.”

“These are carnations,” she told him pointedly.

“Damn, elleth, a florist I am not. Besides, roses have thorns,” he added.

“They are dripping,” she complained as water puddled at her feet.

Orophin stared at the drops falling from the ends of the stems, and then pulled them from his wife’s hands. Tossing them onto the table, he yanked a fistful of breadsticks up instead, and handed them to her. “Problem solved.”

“You are a dork.”

Bowing with a grin, Orophin replied with, “Thank you, m’lady.”

- - -

“What is he doing now?”

“Now... same as before. Eating the breadsticks she keeps massacring. Do you still want to keep dancing?” asked Erestor.

“Mmm... not sure.” Glorfindel made an attempt to stand on the tips of his toes to see over the crowd, but nearly stepped on Erestor’s foot instead. The taller elf paused before forcing them back into the rhythm. “Now what is he doing?”

“Same thing,” replied Erestor without looking.

Glorfindel stopped dancing with a sigh. “If I do something terribly childish-“

“As long as it is not illegal, you know my answer,” shrugged Erestor as he led Glorfindel from the dancing throng.

Once back at the bar, Erestor sat down upon one of the stools, pulling his notes back toward himself. “Try not to get arrested,” he advised after giving Glorfindel a quick kiss.

“Why should you have all the fun?” With a wink, Glorfindel walked to the stage at the front.

Erestor supposed he should be working on his proposal again, but he could not tear his eyes away from Glorfindel’s mischief. Glancing to the tables, he noted that Elrond had resorted to grumbling to the others now that there was nothing for him to watch and make commentary about. As soon as the music stopped, Erestor’s eyes snapped back to the stage.

What caught Erestor’s attention at first was that Glorfindel was nowhere in sight. Lindir was announcing to the crowd, but his voice did not carry past the clamor near the stage, and so he had to wait and begin again.

“Now, for something a little different. We have a bit of a break from the traditional tonight, everyone. Please, welcome to the stage, a performance native to the land of Harad in Middle-earth.” Lindir backed away from the front of the stage, clearing it to give Glorfindel extra room. A number of elves in the hall cheered as the blond walked across the stage, wearing only loose pants and bells on his ankles and wrists.

“That is amazing. How did he change so fast?” asked Glorcheniel on the other side of the bar.

Erestor did not hear her question. Instead, he had his hand over his mouth and was saying to himself in a low voice, “Not the temptation song... not the temptation song.”

It was Thranduil who realized Erestor was attempting to farspeak to Glorfindel and was reinforcing his thoughts verbally. “Whatever it is, it sounds like the sort of thing one would find here.”

Tossing a glare in Thranduil’s direction, Erestor hissed, “Do not encourage him.”

“Temptation song! Temptation song!” Glorcheniel was practically bouncing and mouthing this request to Glorfindel, in the chance he might look over their way. He did, and winked as the music began. Heavy, heady drumming and flutes, bells, and chimes began to play as the golden elf swayed his hips and danced provocatively across the stage.

Take a good look now, baby
Give me a sweet sensation
Much as you try to ignore me
You are my one temptation

Where do we go now, honey?
Let’s take the time to discover
Why can’t you decide baby
If you will be my lover?


As the music sped up in tempo, so did Glorfindel’s liquid movements. His motions were erotic and kept the eyes of everyone on him.

At the bar, Glorcheniel nudged Erestor without looking away from the dark elf’s lover. “Is this the temptation song? Is it? Yes?”

“Yes! Yes, yes, it is,” grumbled Erestor.

“Oooo... well, I like it!” she exclaimed, nearly dropping the glass she had been drying as she tried to set it onto the counter without checking to see where the counter was.

It was almost as if Glorfindel had been possessed by the music, as if the notes themselves were moving his body and limbs at their whim. His cobalt blue pants flowed with his muscled legs as he danced down the stairs into the crowd of the audience.

When we met you thought I was a fool
There was never hope for me and you
With our sharp words we constantly dueled
You kept straight and never broke the rules

All around there is love
Accept that you are with me honey can’t you see that
All around there is love
Accept that you are with me honey can’t you see that now?


He had managed to entice a number of the ladies to attempt the movements he was making, and a few of the ellyn as well. As the others moved to the edges of the room to allow for the dancers to move more freely, Glorfindel repeated the chorus.

Take a good look now, baby
Give me a sweet sensation
Much as you try to ignore me
You are my one temptation

Where do we go now, honey?
Let’s take the time to discover
Why can’t you decide baby
If you will be my lover?


Now that he had captivated the audience that danced with him, he began to play the others who looked on. Weaving between the others standing around, and then to the tables, Glorfindel played up his part. His hands wandered here, a little there. His lips came close to the lips of others. His hips bumped into other elves, ellyth and ellyn alike.

At the bar, a tall, dark ellon fidgeted on his stool. He was tapped on the shoulder and turned around. “I take it this is why you were opposed to the song?” asked Thranduil.

“What do you think?” snapped Erestor back. A voice entered his mind and he froze.

‘Dance with me?’

‘Not again...’

‘This time, I shall lead.’

‘Fin, this is inappropriate.’

‘I know, you really are not dressed for it. But, no one will notice. You need to sing the next part, too.’

‘I am staying right here.’

‘Fine by me, I can dance by you.’

Indeed, before Erestor could move, Glorfindel was rubbing against him seductively, following the beat of the music. As he looked about ready to flee, he heard Thranduil speak behind him. “What happens here, pretty much stays here,” said the ex-king in a low voice.

Taking a deep breath, Erestor slid down from the stool and swallowed hard. Glorfindel grinned.

“Is Erestor going to dance?” Elrond sat up and craned his neck, suddenly interested in what was happening.

“Why do you care if Erestor dances?” questioned Celebrian.

Leaning forward on the table, Elrond looked his wife straight in the eyes and asked, “You are not even a little curious? I am very curious to see if he really can or not.”

“Of course, I am curious,” muttered Celebrian to herself. “But you should not be curious to see him or any other males dancing.”

Elrond rolled his eyes. “Because, it is Erestor. If it was someone else, I could care less- actually, I would highly appreciate not seeing Glorfindel do anymore of this,” he admitted. “But Erestor... is Erestor.”

And Erestor, indeed being Erestor, closed his eyes in order to fight his inhibitions, and felt Glorfindel’s hands lightly grasp his hips. It sent a shiver down his spine. “Dance with me... sing the next part of it,” insisted Glorfindel.

With a slight smile as his body was manipulated into moving with Glorfindel, the deep croon of Erestor’s voice was heard throughout the hall.

When we kiss, others stop and stare
When we touch even though it’s rare
Mesmerized by a lover so fair
Come with me tonight if you dare


Erestor continued to blindly allow himself to be led by Glorfindel as the blond sang the rest of the song.

All around there is love
Accept that you are with me honey can’t you see that
All around there is love
Accept that you are with me honey can’t you see that now?

Take a good look now, baby
Give me a sweet sensation
Much as you try to ignore me
You are my one temptation

Where do we go now, honey?
Let’s take the time to discover
Why can’t you decide baby
If you will be my lover?



“I was wrong,” decided Celeborn. “They are not adorable. They are sinfully sensual.”

“Celeborn!” admonished Galadriel, fanning her flushed face with her hand. “That is my nephew and my- my nephew’s... roommate you are talking about!”

Arching his brow, Elrond let out a slight cough of disbelief. “Well, even I can say they are lovers. It is the least you can do.”

“I...” And Galadriel shrugged and left it at that.

But Celebrian did not. “I think it is rather nice the two of them have each other.” She was met with silence and continued. “Everyone should have someone. No matter how odd the situation, it is in our nature to love and to be loved and-“

“Fine!” Elrond snapped a breadstick chunk, spraying the crumbs across the table. “I will give consent for your brother to marry Elodien.”

“-and... what?” Celebrian sat up straight in her chair. “By brother, you are defining you mean Haldir, correct?”

“Yes, yes. Elodien and Haldir may marry.” Elrond sighed. “We will discuss it more tomorrow, and obviously with the two of them. But, yes. Yes.” Elrond grabbed hold of the breadstick container, which only had two lone breadsticks left, and moved it out of Galadriel’s reach as she moved to take another.

Taking hold of his wife’s elbow, Celeborn helped her to stand. “Come, let us dance.”

“To this?” she asked of the thumping beat and foreign sounds.

“Worry not. I shall lead,” he promised.
---

“When did we stop dancing?” questioned Erestor quietly in a slightly fearful voice.

“Open your eyes.”

The dark elf did so, finding that Glorfindel had danced him out the back door and just inside the woods behind the Kastle. “I cannot believe you made me do that.”

“Next time, you should try to keep your eyes open,” suggested Glorfindel. “’Tis a shame to hide such a lovely attribute.”

“Sure... next time,” replied Erestor, shaking his head.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=195