Discovery by Zhie
Summary: Haldir discovers something about himself, and things about those around him.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Third Age Characters: Arwen, Asfaloth, Celebdreth, Celeborn, Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond, Erestor, Galadriel, Gamling, Gimli, Glorfindel, Haldir, Ilmendin, Legolas, Lindir, Nenniach, Orophin, Palentil, Rumil, Torech, Valarda
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic, Dramatic, Romantic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2639 Read: 9569 Published: February 19 2008 Updated: February 19 2008

1. Prologue by Zhie

2. Chapter 1 by Zhie

Prologue by Zhie
"Lord Elrond, please do not be overly harsh with me, it is my nature to think of others above myself, and surely Haldir's grave injures could not have been treated by mere scribes and seamstresses." Erestor paused, and began again. "My Lord, it was never my intention to disobey you so grievously, for I have only ever been a humble servant in your house…" he trailed off and looked into his lap, wringing his hands.

"Are you going to do that all through breakfast?" asked Haldir, who had finally been able to make it to an actual table for breakfast. There were a number of cushions between him and the back of the chair, but it was a vast improvement from his ground accommodations. Nenniach munched on her toast, but managed a look at Erestor that either meant, 'I can't stomach much more of this' or 'Please stop'.

"I need someone to listen to me. I don't want to sound like a fool when he arrives," said Erestor.

"Why don't you give him a chance to speak first?" suggested Nenniach. "You said you wrote him numerous letters already."

"Over a dozen," nodded Haldir.

"A dozen and a half," corrected Erestor, his hands fidgeting and playing with the rings on his fingers.

Haldir frowned, pouring himself more tea. "I thought you had told me seventeen."

"I sent another that next day."

"Honestly, Erestor!" laughed Haldir. "He's likely still trying to read them all!"

"Ada finished all of them," came a voice from the stairway into the garden. "I do not think he is angry with you, Master Erestor. At least, he is not upset anymore."

"Lady Arwen," Erestor stood, and Nenniach a moment after, while Haldir struggled to maneuver himself out of the chair with the aid of his walking stick. Arwen pouted slightly as she decended the stairway.

"There will be enough time for that later, I would wager," she teased, "and you had better begin to practice, for it shall be Queen Arwen soon."

"My apologies, my Lady," Erestor said as he bowed his head. He looked back up and noted that there were two others at the top of the stairs making their way into to the garden. He swallowed audibly and gripped the back of his chair for support.

Elrond and Glorfindel slowly walked down the stairs, for Glorfindel was hesitant the few times he had ever come into the garden, and still was even now. He made up for his nervousness by jesting with Elrond as they came into better view.

"I didn't know Galadriel's Garden doubled as a breakfast nook," said Glorfindel as his foot touched the grass at the bottom of the last step. "Is the lady still serving, or have I missed my opportunity to eat until noon?"

"There is food aplenty, Lord Glorfindel," said Nenniach, offering him a seat as she bowed her head to him and her former employer. "Lord Elrond, it is most definitely a pleasure to see you."

Nodding, Elrond said, "Likewise, Nenniach. It is good to see you well. How does your family fare?"

"We are well, and I thank you for asking. My son is somewhat quiet since returning from war, perhaps when he has a chance to see his cousins once more, it will cheer him," she answered.

"I look forward to seeing Elladan and Elrohir as well," admitted Elrond. "Long years did they sometimes stray from Imladris, but it has been in these last weeks I have missed them the most."

Off to the side, Erestor stood, gripping each hand so tightly in the other that Haldir feared he would faint from lack of circulation. "It must also be quite a fine thing to find your chief counselor in such good health, even after putting up with me for so long a time," spoke up Haldir, leaning heavily upon the walking stick.

"Hardly did I forget that, or the task I have ahead of me. We will not make swift passage to Gondor if you cannot ride. Have you finished your meal?" asked Elrond of Haldir.

Haldir picked up his cup of tea with one hand and drained it. "Now I am," he said, setting down the cup upon the saucer with slight difficulty.

"With me, then," instructed Elrond, leading Haldir back to the area that he had been sleeping in. "I am determined to have you on a horse by sunset."

"I wish you luck in that," chuckled Haldir.

"It is good you are in high spirits, for I regret to inform you, this will not be the most gentle of medicine," apologized Elrond.

Back at the table, Glorfindel had taken to helping Haldir, and the rest of the occupants, in finishing the morning meal. Nenniach sat down and began to resume eating as well, and Arwen took the place Haldir had been in. Only Erestor remained standing, staring at the pair that had walked away, and it was not until Glorfindel tugged on his sleeve that he sat back down. "Should I go over there, do you think?" he asked quietly, and rather timidly.

Glorfindel shook his head. "I don't think you'd have much of a stomach for lunch if you decided to watch," he said, pulling a hearty amount of fruit from the platter into an empty bowl.

"He said nothing to me - he didn't even look at me." Erestor glanced at Glorfindel. "What does it mean?"

"It means he's more concerned about Haldir's wellbeing right now than anything else." Glorfindel poured himself a glass of apple juice and said, "He has been up the last few nights pacing the floors and hoping he has not been too late."

"Too late for what?"

"He was worried that Haldir might not walk again, with the way you explained things in your letters," whispered Glorfindel. "Could you have been any more graphic in describing the gash in his back?"

"Yes, Fin. Yes, I could have," countered Erestor, and the table fell silent. The counselor began to rearrange items on the table while the other three elves ate. When Elrond approached again, Erestor bowed his head and dropped his hands into his lap.

Taking off his tunic and placing it across the bench, Elrond rolled up his sleeves and looked to Erestor. "Would you mind bringing a pitcher of water over for me? Haldir's back seems fine, but there appears to be an infection in the wound at his side."

His head snapped back up and Erestor answered with, "My Lord, I was quite diligent in changing the bandages of-"

"Erestor," said Elrond, stopping his speech with a raised hand, "this is something that could have happened even if I had tended to him." He picked up two clean linen napkins from the table and walked back to Haldir.

Glancing nervously around the table, Erestor finally stood and went about his task. He found Haldir on his back, staring up as if he were just gazing at clouds and not about to slap Elrond for poking him in the side again. Elrond was knelt on the grass, poking and prodding and apparently thoroughly into his work. Setting the pitcher on the grass beside his lord, Erestor turned to leave.

"Erestor?"

Turning back, he found Elrond looking over his shoulder. "Yes, my lord?"

"The next time you feel you need a holiday, try not to take it in the middle of a war," he suggested.

Stunned, it took Erestor a few moments to nod. "Yes. Of course, my lord," he said before making a hasty retreat back to the table.

"So?" asked Nenniach as Erestor returned. "Did he scold you? We couldn't tell, you were both speaking rather softly."

"He told me not to take another holiday. During a war." Erestor looked quizzically at Glorfindel. "That's not the kind of thing I expected him to say."

"As well you shouldn't," answered Glorfindel, "but that's because he asked my opinion on what to tell you," grinned the elf.

Erestor blinked. "You told him to say that?"

"Understand Erestor, his first reaction was to send a party to retrieve you, but I convinced him that was folly. His next was to have you thrown from Imladris, but again, I knew he did not truly wish to do that. It took some time, but I think I finally managed to convince him that you were right, or at least, that you were not entirely wrong in your actions." Glorfindel shrugged. "Besides, I am busy enough with my own duties; I cannot be his chief advisor as well."

Placing his hand on Glorfindel's arm, Erestor simply said, "Thank you."

Shrugging again, Glorfindel said, "You'd have done the same for me." Sipping his juice, Glorfindel then suddenly caught Erestor offguard and gave him an apply kiss on the cheek.

"Fin!" Erestor indignantly whipped out a handkerchief and wiped his cheek as the balrog slayer grinned and winked at the laughing audience.

"Nenniach, I have a bold question to ask you," said Arwen, turning to the other lady and putting a hand on hers. "The wedding is being planned so quickly, and much of it without me. I would like to choose my own ladies-in-waiting for the ceremony, and would very much like for you to be one of those to have that honor."

"Lady Arwen, that is more than kind of you to ask," said Nenniach. "I would be most honored to be of any assistance to you that I could."

Smiling radiantly, Arwen replied, "I am glad to hear that."

"So am I," said Glorfindel. "I told her if you didn't agree, I was willing to put on a dress and stand in your place, but I wasn't really looking forward to it."

The laughter at the table was interrupted by a loud yelp from across the garden.

"Dammit, Elrond, that hurt!"

"If you hadn't jerked, it wouldn't have hurt so much!"

"I tend to jerk when others gouge me in the side with a knife!"

"I didn't gouge you, you cantankerous elf! The incision I made is only this big."

"Only this big? Here, give me the knife, allow me to demonstrate what an incision only this big feels like."

"Good to hear things are getting back to normal again," grinned Glorfindel before finishing his juice.
Chapter 1 by Zhie
"Haldir and I are going to go around to the back and sweep through the trees," announced Glorfindel after he sidled his horse next to Elrond's. The peredhel nodded, and motioned two of the guards to go along, but Glorfindel shook his head. "I see no need. I would feel safer if they were with you. I doubt we are being followed, but it would grieve me to find I was wrong." Again, Elrond gave his consent, and Glorfindel pulled away, motioning to Haldir that he should follow.

Cringing inwardly, Haldir tugged on the reigns of his mount and backtracked with Glorfindel. Why the seneschal could not have taken one of his brothers was beyond Haldir, but the pain of the extra riding was not. He winced as his horse took a misstep and caused him to be rocked more than he would have liked. Cursing as they headed deeper into the dying trees, he clutched the reigns even tighter. There had been a time when he would have ridden without stirrups or saddle or anything else, but it seemed those days were gone, at least for a time. He had not even been able to mount his horse without help.

"I heard nothing pass behind us," spoke Haldir rather loudly as they traveled what he deemed was a ridiculous length behind the rest of the party.

"Ha-shush," scolded Glorfindel. He surveyed the spot they had come to and dismounted, then came to Haldir's horse and offered his hand. "You need rest," he whispered.

Now understanding, Haldir swung one leg over the horse and immediately regretted it. Closing his eyes and swallowing his pride, he merely slid off of the horse and let Glorfindel be the one to manage how he would make it safely to the ground. "There, not so bad," the golden elf said, leading Haldir to a sturdy looking tree trunk. "I thought we might take a break, we're nearly to the city now," explained Glorfindel.

Haldir nodded his thanks as Glorfindel handed him a small flask. He knew without sniffing or tasting what it was, and sipped the sweet peachy-berry liqueur. "I should have stayed in Lothlorien," he said finally.

"Why? I think this will give you something to do other than think of the pain," said Glorfindel, finding a rock opposite Haldir to prop himself against. "When we returned from Dagorlad, my first thought was to lock myself in the barracks. But, Erestor made a valid point that it was not worth it to mourn death, and that we should instead celebrate life. So I came to Lothlorien, for the celebration held by your parents. I am glad I did – there were two elflings there much in need of a tutor, and thus it came to be that I stayed in Lorien for some time. Near two hundred years, I believe," he added.

"Erestor," repeated Haldir. "He has surprised me much these past weeks."

"Aye, he does tend to do that," chuckled Glorfindel. "He's a very special sort of elf."

Smiling, Haldir rubbed his eyes after setting down the flask. "No, the pain I am getting used to--"

"Liar," proclaimed Glorfindel, "but keep telling yourself that."

"Fine, I'm not getting used to it. I am, and yet I'm not." Haldir sighed. "That isn't why I don't want to be here. It's because of… her…"

"Mmm." Glorfindel scratched his back against the rock and said, "You've not told her, then. Ever, that is."

"Never. How could I do such a thing? With the history of our family such as it is?" Haldir shook his head. "My mother discouraged the speaking of Feanor's name not because she was embarrassed by it or the curse or the kinslaying or anything of the like. It was because of his unnatural lust for her, and I know that only from what my father has told me. I will never place Arwen in that position. I never wish her to feel discomfort in that way. Ever."

"But you, Haldir, what of your mind? Will you ever be at peace?" questioned Glorfindel. "There is still time – true, it may start a war between men and elves, but then again, Estel was always the understanding type, and he's likely to forgive you. After a time."

"No, Glorfindel, my mind is set," Haldir said. "Her happiness is my concern, it was the reason I went to Helm's Deep to fight. To be sure Estel was safe. If she is happy, I am happy."

"You say that now, but surely, Haldir, seeing them marry, watching them as the time passes, seeing their children, their grandchildren, surely, this will break your heart," said Glorfindel, his voice full of remorse.

"No, my heart will not be broken. She may stay with him here while he lives, but at the end of his life, she may still sail West. She does not need give up her immortality to love him."

"Aiya, Haldir, you poor soul," replied Glorfindel, his voice full of sorrow. "You are still so young and idealistic. Child, she will not sail. I fear I will break your heart with my words, but you must know."

"Know what?"

Glorfindel closed his eyes and bowed his head. "Know that my heart grieves for you. For both of you," he added.

"She…" a tear slid down Haldir's cheek. "Undomiel…"

"I am so very sorry, Haldir, but there is no longer any ship that can take her to Valinor, save the one she boards in death."
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=229