Early Morning Routine by Zhie
Summary: Haldir gets stuck tending to Lasiavis when he'd rather be...
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Fourth Age Characters: Finduilas, Haldir, Legolas
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic
Special Collection: Elfling Chronicles
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 802 Read: 2737 Published: October 20 2008 Updated: October 20 2008

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
"Nana?" called a voice from the nursery.

Haldir opened his left eye and noted that Elodien was still asleep, head upon one arm, while the other was draped across his chest.

"Ada?" called the voice again.

Turning the other way, Haldir found Legolas in reverie, staring up at the ceiling blankly. He closed his own eyes as he heard the plea of last resort.

"Adar?"

Somehow, Haldir had been stuck with the more formal name from both his son and Legolas' daughter, which was just as much his daughter, even if he had nothing to do with the actual creation of the elfling. Carefully dislodging himself from between his spouses, he opted to crawl over Legolas instead of Elodien, and headed to the door.

"What is it, Las?" he asked quietly from the doorway.

"I'm hungry."

"Go back to sleep, penneth, there's barely an hour until morning, and we shall all eat together."

"I'm hungry now," Lasiavis whined.

Haldir glanced around to see if either of the others had been awakened, but they were both as he had left them. Knowing Gimli was too heavy a sleeper to be awakened, and that no one else was near enough to have heard her calls, Haldir went to the nursery.

"How hungry are you?" he asked, sitting down on the edge of Lasiavis' bed.

"Just a little hungry right now," she said.

Haldir nodded. "Should I get you a honey biscuit?"

Lasiavis nodded back and licked her lips as Haldir stood and left the room. He came back and handed her a square cookie, but she frowned. "I can't eat in bed," she complained. "I'll get crumbs in it."

"You can sit in the chair and eat," said Haldir, pointing to the rocking chair in the corner of the room.

"Can I sit in the play spot?" she asked.

Haldir nodded, standing up to leave. "You can eat it where you like, but then, you need to sleep a little more before morning."

"You're not leaving, are you, Adar?" Lasiavis looked up at him with huge blue eye. "I'll share my honey biscuit with you," she offered.

Haldir felt the corners of his mouth tug up into a smile. "No, if you want me to stay, I'll stay. And I'll even let you keep all of your biscuit," he told her.

Lasiavis set her cookie down on the pillow and threw herself into Haldir's arms, and he hugged her back until she deemed it time for them to go to the play area. Finding a comfortable spot, Haldir knelt down. Lasiavis wandered through the area, holding her biscuit in one hand while she began to gather stuffed friends with the other.

"Here, let me hold that for you," Haldir offered, taking the biscuit from her hand. "What do you need all of those for? By the time you finish, it will be time for breakfast," he said.

"Just the bunny and the snake and the bear and the mouse, then." Lasiavis repositioned the stuffed animals of her choosing around them. "There. Now we can eat."

Haldir leaned back on his palms a little as Lasiavis found a good spot to lean against him. It was becoming a ritual for him to be awakened early by this little one, wanting a snack or a glass of water, sometimes a story or a song, and even just an extra hug on occasion. As a parent, Haldir was rather indulgent, allowing for behavior that both Legolas and Elodien frowned upon, stressing the idea that elflings were only young once.

Picking up the bunny that had been placed nearby, Haldir smiled and held it for Lasiavis to see. "You know, this was mine once. I used to sleep every night with this bunny," he recalled affectionately.

"When you were young?" asked Lasiavis, munching on her treat.

"When I was…younger than I am now," he said, settling the rabbit next to him.

"Oh!"

"What's wrong?" asked Haldir at the sudden outburst.

"I forgot Mr. Chipmunk! Grandfather gave me Mr. Chipmunk, where is he?" she asked in panic. "I haven't seen him!"

Haldir scanned the area. "Here he is," he said, reaching for the stuffed toy. He stopped, seeing Legolas at the door. Narrowing his eyebrows, he asked, "How long have you been awake?"

"Longer than I'd like to have been, not so long that I do not wish to return to bed," winked Legolas. "Which is where I am going now. Breakfast shall be delayed, unless you are of a mind to prepare it."

"Delayed breakfast? Why is there…" Haldir glared at Legolas at his realization, and Legolas grinned back. "That isn't very nice for you not to include me."

"You appear…occupied…" Legolas grinned. "See you at breakfast," he added, stepping back from the doorway.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=278