Souvenir Worth Saving by Zhie, DarkDreamer
Summary: Glorfindel goes on vacation.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Extras Characters: Celebrian, Elrond, Erestor, Glorfindel, Melpomaen
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic, Dramatic, Romantic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 16314 Read: 83040 Published: December 28 2008 Updated: December 28 2008
Story Notes:
Dark told me about a dream she had… a dream that she and I wrote a story together while at Webbs. (I got to growl at the waitress, heh).

1. Chapter 1 (by DarkDreamer) by Zhie

2. Chapter 2 (by Zhie) by Zhie

3. Chapter 3 (by Zhie) by Zhie

4. Chapter 4 (by Zhie) by Zhie

5. Chapter 5 (by Zhie) by Zhie

6. Chapter 6 (by Zhie) by Zhie

7. Chapter 7 (by Zhie) by Zhie

8. Chapter 8 (by Zhie) by Zhie

9. Chapter 9 (by Zhie) by Zhie

10. Chapter 10 (by Zhie) by Zhie

Chapter 1 (by DarkDreamer) by Zhie
Elrond sat back and pinched the bridge of his nose when he heard a knock on his study door. Taking a deep breath, he called out, "Tul!"

When the door opened, he smiled and gestured to the chair before his desk. "Ahh, Glorfindel, saes, havo dad."

"What do you need, Elrond? I have work to do,” replied the slayer.

Narrowing his eyes, the Rivendell lord firmly pointed to the chair. "Havo!"

Once Glorfindel was sitting, Elrond got up and began to pace. "You are in need of time off, Findel. You work to much and...”

"Elrond, I..."

"Quiet, Findel. If you interrupt me again I will have you bound and gagged to that chair!"

Glorfindel sighed. "Aye, Elrond."

Resuming his pacing, Elrond clasped his hands behind his back. "As I was saying... you have often mentioned how you like to relax under the stars and such, so I am telling you now- you are hence forth released of duty. I want you to go and relax."

"But, Elrond..."

"Have a nice time,” added Elrond.

"Elrond, you..." protested Glorfindel again.

"If you find any interesting herbs while you are on your vacation, bring some back," said the Peredhel as he walked to the door.

"Tul now, Elrond, you can not be serious!"

Elrond arched his brow and opened the door to his study. "Out, and return less cranky... elves are not suppose to be cranky, Findel. Go and have some fun."

Once Glorfindel left the study, he mumbled as he made his way to his chamber. Grumbling to himself, he said in a low voice, “Me, cranky? Look in a mirror sometime, you Peredhil warg-humper." He continued to grumble as he walked.

"Who is humping wargs?"

Glorfindel spun around, then cleared his throat. "Oh, good morning, Melpomaen."

The young scribe smiled brightly. "And good morning to you, my lord. Where are you off to?"

Trying hard not to reach out and strangle the perpetually gleeful youth, Glorfindel sighed. "I am to take a vacation."

"Oh! How wonderful! Have a splendid time!" offered Melpomaen.

The seneschal slowly turned as he took a deep breath. "Hannon le," he said in return, and then resumed his way to his chamber.

Halfway there, he stopped and growled when he heard two excited voices.

"Glorfindel!" came the dual greeting.

"Elladan? Elrohir?"

The elder twin smiled and lightly smacked the slayers shoulder. "Adar says you are going on vacation!"

Elrohir then stepped forward. "Is it true?"

Glorfindel groaned to himself. "Aye, ‘tis true... he is forcing me to do so."

"Forcing? Why would you have to be forced!" laughed Elladan.

The younger twin nodded. "Aye, vacations are fun!"

Glorfindel narrowed his eyes. "For some. Now what do you two need?"

The twins exchanged a look, then smiled. "Bring something back for us! Something soft and warm, a blanket perhaps," they answered in one voice.

Not surprised, the seneschal shook his head. "I will see what I can do."

Resuming his path to his chamber, the blond warrior growled under his breath. "Bring back something soft and warm, ay? Humph... well, I am sure that Asfaloth will need to relieve himself at some point on the return home."

Finally reaching his chamber, Glorfindel stopped dead and dropped his jaw. His chamber door was bolted shut, several strips of wood were nailed to bar entry, and his satchel was sitting on the ground with a note attached. Grabbing the note, the blond warrior began to read:


---------
Glorfindel,
I said go on vacation! Now! Go on, get going, you stubborn old warrior!

~*//*~ Elrond ~*//*~
---------


The seneschal released a low growl. "You and your fancy flourishes when you sign your... argah! Fine!"

Once he reached the stables, he went straight for his friend’s stall. "Tul, Asfaloth, we are going to camp for a bit."

The great stallion blinked, and then looked at his full food trough and warm hay.

Grabbing his sword and sleep satchel, Glorfindel mounted and then clicked and gave a gentle nudge with his heals. Remaining in place, Asfaloth looked back over to his food.

Sighing, Glorfindel got down, shoved his friend’s food into a bag, then tied it to his bedroll. "Alright now, let us go."

Finally past the borders of Rivendell, Glorfindel slowed Asfaloth and scratched his friend’s neck. "Alright, we are now past the inner border. Let us find a nice stream and I will make a fire. We will not leave Imladris, if I am needed, we need to be easy to find."

As they made their way, Glorfindel suddenly sucked in his breath and tried to distract his friend’s gaze, but it was too late. There, right before them, was a fluffy, cuddly, tiny little kitten.

"Oh, no,” whispered Glorfindel, hoping Asfaloth did not notice.

"Mew."

Holding on for dear life, Glorfindel yelled only minutes later, "Slow down, Asfaloth! The kitten is gone now! We are more then a mile away from it! Daro! Daro, Daro, Daro!"

Asfaloth suddenly skidded to a halt, causing Glorfindel to fly over his head and into the tree before them.

Slowly getting up, the seneschal growled "How can you be so frightened of a tiny kitten! You have been through many battles with wargs, trolls, orcs, and the like... yet a small kitten sends you into panic? Help me understand this, my friend."

Asfaloth shook his head, and then walked over to the nearby stream.

Glorfindel looked around, then placed his hands on his hips. "You have taken us to the hidden glade, could we be anywhere more remote?!" With a sigh, Glorfindel said, "Well, at least there is a stream, and trees."

Grabbing his satchel, Glorfindel set it up close to the stream in preparation of fishing, then returned to his friend and grabbed the rough canvas and spread it out to air before he set up. He then grumbled when he realized that he had grabbed a small tent. "Wonderful... oh wonderful, my lord, have a splendid time... vacations are fun, Glorfindel! Blah blah blah..."

Asfaloth looked at his friend. Sensing how his mood was getting worse, the stallion began to think about the stables... his warm dry, hay, plenty of food... the new mare that was placed in the stall next to his…

Glorfindel spun around when he heard his friend take off and yelled, "Asfaloth! Come back here, you still have my weapons!!"

Realizing that his friend was not coming back, Glorfindel took stock of what he had. "A tent that is too small, my fishing gear, an extra set of clothes, a bundle of lembas... and No weapons."
Chapter 2 (by Zhie) by Zhie
Everything, save Glorfindel’s fishing gear, was stowed in the tiny tent once he managed to construct it. Determined to at least make it through one night before going back to the Homely House, Glorfindel positioned himself at a curve in the river. Once settled on the bank, he prodded under a few rocks before finding a decent sized nightcrawler for his hook.

He cast the line into the water, and leaned back a little, lazily enjoying the warmth of the sun. Perhaps things weren’t quite so bad, he reflected. He wouldn’t be bound to Asfaloth’s whims, and he really didn’t need weapons and great comforts as long as he stayed within a day of Rivendell. All in all, things were possibly not quite so bad.

The fish were as hungry as he was, and after tossing back two tiny, greedy bottom feeders, Glorfindel felt a goodly tug on his pole. He gave the fishing line a yank and then drew it up and out of the water, smiling to see a healthy trout wriggling on the end of the line.

By the time he was done, his catch consisted of two trout and a salmon, minus all of the smaller ones he had thrown back. He wound the line so it would not tangle, taking care with the hook. As he turned to go back to his tent not far away, he paused.

Did the tent just move?

Shaking his head and fairly certain it was just his imagination, Glorfindel strolled closer, fishing pole in one hand and bucket of fish in the other. He narrowed his eyes as he saw something make the side of the tent bulge and retract. Setting down the pole and the bucket, he quickened his pace back to the tent. He slowed down, becoming more cautious as he approached, realizing once more he had no weapons.

Bending down, he picked up a medium sized rock from the grass. Aiming it for the spot where the tent had bucked, he threw the object. Upon impact, a furry masked head popped up over the other side of the tent. “You little rascal! Get out of there!” shouted Glorfindel, running now at full speed.

The critter ducked back down, and Glorfindel growled as he slid to a stop by the entrance of the tent. He cried out when he lifted back the flap to look inside, and found he was looking outside. The entire side panel which he had not seen was ripped to shreds, and a fat family of raccoons were now nestled in his spare clothing, helping themselves to his lembas. “Shoo! Get out of here!” he scolded, picking up the tent and shaking it.

Three of the raccoons scattered, spreading broken chunks of lembas in their wakes. A fourth raccoon burrowed into Glorfindel’s trousers and carried them off as he ran, while the fifth and sixth fancied his shirt and undergarments, which were carried off before he could catch them. “You rotten little thieves!” he called out. “Tomorrow night, I’m having raccoon stew!” he threatened, which was of course a lie, for he knew quite well that raccoon tasted simply vile. However, a raccoon hat, or several of them, was sounding like an excellent souvenir for the twins.

Smiling grimly as all of the ways to seek revenge upon a raccoon came to his mind, Glorfindel assessed the situation again. He was down to a ripped up tent, his fishing pole, and his dinner. Thankfully, the pack that he used to keep his fishing gear in had been spared from the attack. He carried it to the spot where he had left the pole and fish after a good swift kick to the nearest tent pole, which did more damage to his toes than to the ruined tent.

Upon reaching his destination, Glorfindel gave long sigh. “I have no hunting knife,” he concluded to himself, “so I have no way to clean the fish. Brilliant.” Grumbling to himself the entire time, he carried everything which was still salvageable to a sandy patch near the tent to start a fire. Eating the uncleaned fish would prove quite messy, he knew, but he was tired and hungry and was still determined to salvage something of the day. “Go on a bloody vacation, Findel, it will be good for you. Bring us back a souvenir, Findel, from your fun time away. Fun, bah!” Glorfindel stabbed each fish with a long, sharp stick, then set them up to cook above the fire.
Chapter 3 (by Zhie) by Zhie
Just when he believed his vacation could get no worse, a few straying drops hit Glorfindel's head. Looking into the heavens, another fell squarely in his right eye. Blinking and grabbing for a clean cloth from his sack to wrap up his meal before it was ruined, he cursed skyward, hoping someone was amused.

A crackle of thunder sounded to Glorfindel like the laughter of Manwe and Ulmo. Shoving his dinner into his pack, Glorfindel regarded the ripped and ruined tent. Kicking free one of the poles from the debris as the rain fell faster, he picked it up to use as a walking stick and headed into the forest.

He grumbled about the stupid tent, looking over his shoulder into the clearing at the shreds that remained, utterly neglected, taunting him. He would come back for them when the storm passed, but now he needed shelter of some sort.

A tree would do nicely in a pinch, but his personal preference was a cave if he could find one. Even a den left vacant by a bear or something of the sort. The rain pattered on the leaves of the trees above, but their thick summer branches kept him dry for now, save for an errant drop of rain here and there.

Racing up the incline, he neglected to note the drop on the other side. Moments after tumbling down the other side and into a valley, he lifted his head and groaned. 'At least I am not on fire this time,' he thought to himself. The climb back up was not one he looked forward to, and so, he continued along his haphazard path.

Luckily, he spied something better than he could have hoped for – the mouth of a cave that jutted up atop a small hill. Even if the rains brought flooding, he would remain safe. It seemed much too easy, too good to be true, and dropping to one knee, Glorfindel examined the ground for signs of creatures that might live within. There were tracks of deer and smaller animals on the ground, but none that entered the cave directly. No remnants of recent meals, no territorial markings. Cautiously, Glorfindel ducked down and ended, moving slowly into the cavern.

"Suilad?" Venturing further still, he made sure to scuff his feet in the dust on the ground in case there was anything in the cave, so that he would not spook it. It seemed he was alone, but he felt he was not. He began to whistle a tune to himself as he continued to look around. Finally deciding it must be his mind playing tricks on him, he rested the tent pole against the wall of the cave and left briefly to collect firewood in the case he might need it.

Upon returning, he removed his damp shirt, and then lodged the tent pole between two stalactites and hung the garment over it. By now, his dinner was no doubt cold, so he set to positioning some larger rocks he found around the wood he had collected.

The longer he knelt by the entrance, preparing the fish to be recooked and moving things around to make himself comfortable for the evening, the more he knew he was being watched. Turning around, he was startled when he saw a pair of dark, wary eyes staring at him.

His first thought on the creature in the shadows was that it was another damned raccoon, like the ones that had wrecked his tent and stolen his supplies. He shifted his gaze, for the eyes were too large, not proportioned quite right, and now, they were narrowing. "Aiya!" exclaimed Glorfindel. "Man le? Man le carel sí?"

A low sound echoed in the cave. At first, Glorfindel thought it to be the thunder outside, but he realized it was coming from the one crouched down in the back of the cave, glaring at him. He was being growled at - him, Glorfindel, slayer of balrogs.. well, one at least unless he was drunken while retelling the tale.. was being growled at by what appeared to be a young, scrappy elf half his size. He did what anyone in his position would do.

He laughed.

"Heniach nin? Pedich i lam edhellen?" Glorfindel bit his lip as the lithe, dark creature snarled and bared his teeth. His hand instinctively went for his blade, which had been on Asfaloth he now remembered, and at first cursed the name of his fickle beast. Then, his luck seemed to change as he reflected upon this, and he held up his hands slowly, peacefully. "Avo 'osto. Avo 'osto." He quietly repeated these words as soothingly as he knew, until it was a sort of lullaby to tame the wild heart within the wily ellon who snorted and bowed his head, but who was at least no longer growling at him.

Rumbling in Glorfindel's stomach alerted him to the fact that he had yet to eat since the early morning hours when he had left the homely house. Reaching slowly to the sack, he tugged it towards himself, but another growl alerted him just in time as the ellon pounced forward in a fury, on all fours like some kind of wild animal, stealing away the bag and scampering back to his former position with it.

With a sigh, Glorfindel just closed his eyes and shook his head. It was going to be a day to remember, but for all the wrong reasons. Picking up two of the drier sticks, he began to kindle the fire. Perhaps, if he tried really hard to ignore the raggedy elf, he would just disappear. Glancing out the mouth of the cave, Glorfindel heaved another sigh as the rain fell harder, drenching the ground all around.

Suddenly, the hairs on the back of his neck prickled. His ears twitched, and looking around, he stumbled back against the wall when he found himself face to face with the wild one. Speaking was of no use; he seemed not to know the language, nor did it seem he knew any language. The story behind this poor ellon intrigued Glorfindel, but right now, his mind was concentrated on the fact that he was being sniffed and snuffled. Glorfindel was in a precarious position, half propped against the wall of the cave as the ellon nuzzled his nose against his heaving chest, down to the dip of his navel, and back up into his golden locks, causing Glorfindel to laugh momentarily when the crook of his neck was smelled.

Then, the wild one bent down. Why had Glorfindel not noticed that this poor thing was naked until now? Rubbing his nose against the trousers of the blond elf, the wild one dwelled at one placed in particular.

Gently, Glorfindel touched the wild ellon with hesitation, thinking the actions quite improper and becoming more so. The ellon looked up harshly, looking as if he might lunge. A crash of thunder outside sent the elf scurrying back to the recesses of the cave.

Using the opportunity to retrieve his sack, Glorfindel approached very slowly, opting to travel as the other did, crawling on his hands and knees. The wild ellon tilted his head, blinking, as if unsure of what to think of this change in Glorfindel's behavior. Deciding that the neutrality was better than the growling, Glorfindel untied the bag and pulled from it the dinner he had cooked earlier. The fish had to be eaten soon before they went bad, and he unwrapped the cloth from them, placing them upon it.

"Tolo, mado go nin." Glorfindel knew he could not be understood, but hoped his voice was somewhat calming. It seemed, though, that the elf was not paying him attention. Licking his lips hungrily, the slighter elf sniffed at the air, picking up the scent of the fish. With big eyes and a doeful look, he waited for some further sign from Glorfindel.

Picking up one of the fish, Glorfindel slid the other two on their cloth closer to the ellon. He again only saw now what he had not noticed before- a good wind would surely blow this elf away. Finishing only half of his fish, Glorfindel slowly and carefully offered the rest of his to the ellon when he saw the wild one nibbling on the heads and tails once the bones were stripped.

The sun was no where in sight now, and Glorfindel pulled his shirt from where it had dried. He was about to put it back on, but out of the corner of his eye, he noticed the wild one shiver. Without a second thought, Glorfindel held the shirt out to him.

Sniffling at the garment, the wild ellon backed away. Glorfindel frowned, then pulled the shirt over his head. He spread out his arms to show his new friend what to do, then removed the shirt and handed it forward again.

Gingerly, the wild one took hold of the shirt, tugging it at once from Glorfindel's grip. He gave it another good sniff, then pulled it over his own head, getting a bit stuck with the arm holes. Without thinking, Glorfindel sat forward a bit more and to help the darkling with his predicament, but the wild ellon shied away, struggling until he found his own solution, then proudly lifted his arms to either side as Glorfindel had, and for the first time since their meeting, he smiled.

It was only a small smile, something a little shy, but it made Glorfindel grin. "Gerich faer vara," he said in what he hoped was a complimentary manner. The wild one looked sad, perhaps wanting to know what the words that were spoken meant, or perhaps for some other reason. Lightning sliced through the air again, and thunder followed, but instead of running away, ellon cowered beside Glorfindel, snuggling against him.

"Avo 'osto. Nad dithen," said Glorfindel, waving his hand dismissively at the mouth of the cave, in the direction of the streak of lightning. The next crash did not seem to spook the wild one as much.

Finding himself tired, Glorfindel stretched slowly, not wishing to disturb his companion, and tried to figure out which patch of rocky ground was the most comfortable for sleeping. A tug on his shoulder turned his head, and the big eyes were back. The ellon moved away, but unafraid, looking behind after a few steps, waiting for Glorfindel to follow.

He did follow, down into the darkness of the cave, which curved to the right and into a small chamber of sorts. Here, Glorfindel could barely see a thing, but what he could feel was soft moss on the ground. It was moist, but warm, and as he continued to feel his way with his palms on the ground, he felt something softer, a pelt of some animal stretched on the ground. His hands touched something warm, the leg of the wild elf, he assumed, and he slowly drew back, hoping not to alarm him.

Though his sight was useless, it was warm and comfortable, and Glorfindel's eyelids were already drooping as he settled onto his back to take rest. "Le hannon," he mumbled quietly. As he drifted to sleep, he felt the slighter elf snuggle beside him for the night, but Glorfindel was too weary to care.

- - -
Suilad? - Greetings? (Basically, more of an 'Anybody here? Fair
warning to forest creatures: big elf entering cave now.')
Man le? - Who are you?
Man le carel sí? - What are you doing here?
Heniach nin? - Do you understand me?
Pedich i lam edhellen? - Do you speak Elvish?
Avo 'osto. - Do not worry.
Tolo, mado go nin. - Come and eat with me.
Gerich faer vara. - You have a firey spirit.
Nad dithen - Just a little thing
Le hannon - I thank you
Chapter 4 (by Zhie) by Zhie
When Glorfindel awoke, he found himself alone in the darkness. At least, he assumed he was alone. After feeling around with his hands, he found nothing but the soft moss and warm fur, with no sign of his newfound friend. Stretching was not an option in the small confines of the cave, so he ventured out into the sunshine, immediately feeling better under the rays of the sun.

Here and there, puddles were scattered about, a sign of the rains the night before. With the ground damp, there was a trace of tracks left by the wild one, and Glorfindel followed, more out of curiosity than anything else.

Although he was now without a horse and without a tent, he was determined to see his vacation to its end, whatever that might be. He was also quite hoping he would be able to convince the wild elf to come with him. Obviously, reasoned Glorfindel, the Valar had placed him in such a situation so that he would indeed run into this creature, so that someone could bring him back into civilization.

The trail took him back to the spot where he had set up his camp; what was left of the tent was mangled nearly beyond recognition. His shirt was draped over a tree branch, and his friend was standing beneath a very small waterfall, with his arms stretched out. Glorfindel laughed, and waved to the ellon when he suddenly crouched down in a defensive position.

“Avo 'osto,” said Glorfindel, putting up both hands in a submissive gesture. The last thing he wanted was to be growled at again. The slighter elf grinned to see him, and scampered out of the water and onto shore. Here he shook himself off, and then approached Glorfindel, rather damp and completely naked. “We have to do something about your weight,” mumbled Glorfindel to himself, smiling back, but sad that he could so easily see the ellon’s bones beneath his skin. “I suppose you’ve had your breakfast, but I am positively-“ Glorfindel looked over his friend, feeling that ‘starving’ wasn’t the word that best fit his situation. “-hungry. I wonder if I could find a rabbit or two for us, or should I get my fishing pole...”

As he debated, the wild one shrugged at the ‘nonsense’ he was hearing and walked to a large tree just on the border of the forest. Placing his hand on the trunk, he took up a stance with his legs spread and started to relieve himself against the base of the tree.

Glorfindel shifted his legs, the combination of the rushing water of the falls and what his friend was doing causing him to find he needed to alleviate his own issues. “Good a spot as any,” he said as he walked to where the wild ellon had just finished. Loosening his pants, he dropped them enough to do his business, spraying over the spot that the other elf had just covered. As he gathered things up and tied up his pants again, Glorfindel noticed the serious look that had come over the ellon’s face. “Something wrong?”

No words came, but actions speak louder. He was nearly knocked over as he was nuzzled against and purred into. “Yes, yes, I like pissing on the tree, too,” he muttered, fighting to keep himself standing. Once he managed a good grip on the shoulders of the wild one, he led them back to the shirt that had been left forgotten. “Here, put this on. There’s a chill this morning,” he advised. Clothed and still purring, the ellon ran off into the forest. “Well... “ Glorfindel threw his hand into the air. “Fine. I suppose I am on my own for breakfast, then.”

An hour later, Glorfindel was cooking his latest batch of freshly caught fish when he was pounced upon. His initial alarm was pushed aside as he looked up at the wild ellon who had knocked him over. “Good morning again, my feisty friend. I knew you would be back, so I caught more fish this- good heavens, what is that?”

Glorfindel grimaced. Dangling from the wild one’s mouth from its tail was a lifeless squirrel. A moment later, it was dumped onto Glorfindel’s chest. “I... uhm, that’s... very nice...”

The wild one purred proudly and nuzzled Glorfindel with his head beneath the blond warrior’s chin. Clearing his throat and sitting them up, Glorfindel picked up the squirrel where it had tumbled to the ground. “Thank you, but I have fish for us. Look, fish.” Glorfindel pointed to the fish, and his wild companion crawled over to the small fire.

With a sigh, Glorfindel picked up a large, flat rock and quickly dug a shallow grave, tossing the squirrel in. As soon as it hit the bottom, the wild one was beside him, frowning. “We have fish for breakfast. Fish. You like fish, remember?” Glorfindel had no desire to know whether fish was liked better than squirrel or not.

Patting the tiny mound of dirt, Glorfindel went back to check on the fish. Turning them, he was suddenly presented once again with the squirrel, dangling from the ellon’s mouth. “Oh, spit that out, it’s dirty!” Glorfindel complained, reaching up to take the deceased rodent away. The wild elf scooted back, seemingly knowing what Glorfindel’s reaction would be. Taking the squirrel in both hands, the ellon ripped into it with his teeth, sitting back with a mouthful of whatever was inside of a squirrel.

“Oh, that’s just... not... right...” murmured Glorfindel as he watched the elf take another bite. He looked away so as not to have to watch, but once again, he was offered the squirrel. “Oh, no, you seem to really enjoy it, I couldn’t possibly-“

~Grrrraaaahhhhhhrrrrr...~

“Then again, I hear raw meat is a delicacy in some places.” Swallowing hard, Glorfindel took the tiny creature in his hands, trying to decide what was what and what he should avoid. Considering that the longer he looked, the more possible it was for him to know what he was looking at, he closed his eyes, cursed Elrond for sending him on vacation, and bit into the dead animal. “Thank you,” he managed after swallowing without chewing and passing the carcass back.

The ellon looked overjoyed now, and the purring began anew. Glorfindel sighed, and hastened the cooking of the fish to get the taste of the squirrel out of his mouth.

Once they were happily fed, Glorfindel and his companion laid in the lush, green grass, watching clouds float by lazily overhead. “I wish I knew how to talk to you,” said Glorfindel. “It would be so much easier if you knew what I was saying.”

He received no response, but he expected none. They continued to watch the sky. Suddenly, Glorfindel realized that the wild one had been inching closer and closer to him, but not until he was being snuggled against. “We are going to need to break you of this habit before you come to Rivendell,” Glorfindel said, but his voice did not sound altogether full of conviction on that charge.

Warmth from the sun and the soft grass was making Glorfindel’s eyelids droop. The calming purr against his chest put him at ease as he began to drift into reverie. He stayed just on the edge, for the nuzzles he was the recipient of kept him awake. Louder and louder became the purring, and caught off-guard, Glorfindel felt a pinch at his neck. It was only after he abruptly sat up that he realized he had been bitten.

“Aiya, what was that for?!” he demanded, rubbing his hand against his skin. The ellon, whose purring had diminished, yet not stopped, blinked in confusion. “If you are still hungry, just say so.” Realizing how foolish this sentence was, Glorfindel shook his head and said, “Just... no more biting,” he scolded lightly. Standing up, the blond walked to the edge of the river and began to look for bait.

Unlike so many times before, the wild one made no attempt to be silent as he approached. Grass shifted and stray leaves rustled on the ground. Glorfindel, who was sitting on a rock and about to cast his line, was suddenly snuggled, purred upon, licked, and finally, presented with a firm, rounded backside as the ellon dropped onto his hands and knees before him.

“Oh, sweet Elbereth, what did I do or say.” Glorfindel set the fishing pole aside and scooted forward. “Ah, erm, here, sit down.” The purring was replaced with a whimper of confusion once he managed to get the wild elf sitting down beside him again. “Obviously, you are either confused, or anyone who has been kind to you in the past has shown you some sort of disrespect. I wish I could... just...” Unable to know what to do to make his friend comprehend him, Glorfindel let out a sigh.

The ellon scratched at the dirt between the blades of grass. His sound of frustration came out sounding more like Asfaloth did when he was fairly perturbed. Glorfindel could not help but smile. “How do I make you understand? If only I knew an easy way.”

Slowly, the dark one crawled to the fishing pole, bringing it back to Glorfindel and handing it to him. Smiling, Glorfindel thanked him as he was snuggled against, but the more amorous reactions seemed subdued now. This was a sign of trust and friendship, decided Glorfindel, as he cast the line into the water. The rest of it, well, he would deal with the rest of it if it ever happened again.
Chapter 5 (by Zhie) by Zhie
Glorfindel smoked extra fish that afternoon, not wishing to have need for fishing again later and not wanting a repeat performance of his wild companion’s hunting skills. As they ventured back to the cave, the wild one would romp ahead from time to time, call out for him using some sort of cat-like noise, and then bound back to where Glorfindel was on the path. Nuzzle, purr, and repeat. In some ways, it reminded Glorfindel of one of his hunting dogs, though this thought saddened him. ‘How am I ever going to be able to introduce him into civilization?’ wondered the golden warrior.

Inside the cave they went, Glorfindel depositing his sack of fishing gear and wrapped fish near their resting place. The furs and moss had been odd the night before; now they were feeling extremely comfortable. Nesting himself down into the softness, Glorfindel became very aware of the closeness of his companion. “Yes, I like you, too,” he mumbled, rolling onto his side. The constant nuzzling was cute, to a point. He doubted he would get much sleep if it continued.

The wild one let out a series of disgruntled snorts, then climbed over Glorfindel, and slithered himself against Glorfindel, pressing very close. Glorfindel sat up at once. “No, keep this on,” he insisted, groping about in the dark for the shirt the ellon had been wearing. There was a growl, and Glorfindel felt his arm being pulled back, and with a lot of force. “Fine, no shirt, suit yourself,” he muttered, repositioning himself so that he was cuddled against the wall of the cave.

A piercing whine filled his ears, and when Glorfindel covered them to be rid of it, the wild one pounced. Never had the blond expected such power from this creature, and now he was being held down in the moss by a pair of hands so small they barely fit around his wrists. He found that struggling was not the best idea, for it seemed exactly what the wild elf wanted. The growls turned to purring, which gave way to moans as the ellon rubbed his naked body against Glorfindel in any place he was able. Feeling himself become aroused, Glorfindel used all his might to knock the slighter elf from him, and then tried to escape from the cave.

A hiss of displeasure rooted Glorfindel in his spot. “Look, I really don’t want to hurt you, my friend, but I cannot give you what you seek.” Another hiss followed, as if the wily elf understood the words, and Glorfindel found himself backed into a corner of the cave. “Fine, you must rest sometime, no use in fighting you. I’ll just sneak out when you fall into reverie, and then back to the Homely House for me, and no more vacations, thank you very much, Elrond!” Glorfindel put his back to the corner, sitting cross legged, with his arms crossed over his chest.

The wild elf, who was panting heavily now, backed away to the entry into this part of the cave, to block Glorfindel’s path. He mimicked the position which Glorfindel took, pointing out his chin in imitation of the captured elf.

“You do that,” sighed Glorfindel. “You won’t-“ his sentence was pierced by a yawn. “You won’t last to morning,” he finished.

An hour later, Glorfindel was snoring softly while a lone figure watched him in the dimmest of light.

- - -

“Bloody hell.” Glorfindel rubbed his eyes once he gained his senses fully, and took note of the wild elf sitting in the passageway that led out. “I bet you waited until I fell asleep, then made sure you woke up before I did.”

Looking around, Glorfindel noticed that the sack containing yesterday’s catch was behind the wild one. His eyes were adjusting to the darkness now, and frankly, the thought scared Glorfindel a bit. “I have it now,” announced Glorfindel, uncaring of what words the wild one heard, knowing they were not understood. “I shall simply sleep again, and when I awaken, you will be the one sleeping, and then...” Glorfindel shook his head, realizing that in reality he was just talking to himself. “Nevermind,” he said, settling back against the wall.

- - -

Glorfindel looked one way, and then the other, trying to steady himself. The air was getting too thin, he realized, as he gasped for it. The darkness was blinding him, he convinced himself. The darkness, that was what it was.

He no longer had any concept of how long he had been held against his will in the cave. The dark cave, the cave of no light. Of no windows, of no air. The dank, dark cave. Glorfindel clawed at the wall, hoping it would crumble and show him a way out, but as it remained, it was hard and cold, and uncaring. Looking over his shoulder, he saw the pair of bright eyes, focused upon him. Watching him.

“You probably just... just want to make a meal out of me, don’t you?” spat Glorfindel, clawing again at the rock with no avail. Finally, he wrapped his arms around himself, shivering. Shivering against the cold, no, shivering against the darkness. “I want to go home,” he heard himself mumble as he began to sob.

Nothing was so dark as this, except perhaps the Halls. But in the Halls, Glorfindel could not feel. Not like this, not the churning in his stomach, not the aching in his heart. Not the need and want of light, of sunshine, of even the flicker of a small candle. But no, he was denied even this small hope, and again he looked to the only light, to the bright eyes that watched him. “What do you want of me?” demanded Glorfindel.

The bright eyes blinked, and the purring began. Glorfindel had not heard the purr in some days – in fact, after the hissing, he had heard nothing at all from the wild one. The blond sat against the wall, one knee bent and one leg out the side. As the purring grew louder, the wild ellon came closer, and Glorfindel grew warmer. He shook his head as the wild creature approached and rested a hand on his knee. “Please... let me... let me go,” sniffled Glorfindel.

He gave no protest this time as the wild one bent down and nuzzled his most intimate area. Strong hands tore the fabric away, and Glorfindel gasped as a gentle warmth spread up his body and down his legs. “If this is all you want, will you let me go if I give it to you?” he asked, not quite knowing the words he was saying.

The purring, the touches, and the warmth said it all. “Sweet Elbereth,” murmured Glorfindel, and he knew he was lost. He could feel the insistent tugs on his breeches to remove them, and a chill ran up his spine once they were finally removed. His hands were gripping the rocky wall behind him, so cold, so hard, so different from the warm, soft, body that pressed against him. “In the name of Manwe, what sort of spell do you have me under?” whispered Glorfindel, more to try to calm his own nerves than for the benefit of his companion.
Chapter 6 (by Zhie) by Zhie
Kitten licks grazed Glorfindel’s bare neck as the wild one rubbed his erection against Glorfindel’s rapidly rising member. Closing his eyes, Glorfindel leaned his head against the wall of the cave, trying to collect his thoughts or come to his senses or something of the sort.

“I suppose... you’ve... you probably have... uhhhmmmmmnn- oh!” Glorfindel whimpered slightly as his length was enveloped within the warm, moist cavern of the wild one’s mouth. “Oh... oh... oh, not so much, you’ll choke,” he managed to say before his head began to loll back and forth and his speech became incomprehensible. “Ai, Eru!”

Glorfindel’s body trembled as the wild one hollowed his cheeks and continued his ministrations, a hand upon each of the blond elf’s legs for balance. Though the proud warrior would not admit it to anyone, and often made up tales of amorous nights spent with others in his past life in Gondolin, the truth was, he was as untried as a maiden on her fiftieth begetting day. In both lives. The pace of his breathing increased more from nervousness and less from physical activity.

“You should stop... you should really stop,” advised Glorfindel, but his words were half-hearted at best. The fact that his legs had relaxed, the space between them widened, his body slipping down so that he was nearly on his back, all said different. As soon as Glorfindel’s head made contact with the ground, with the soft moss once again, the wild one looked up. “Now what?” asked Glorfindel after swallowing and catching his breath.

Another round of sniffing began, and Glorfindel closed his eyes once more. Perhaps that was all the creature wanted, just to... to taste him, odd as that sounded in Glorfindel’s mind. It was all the base senses that the wild one relied upon. Smelling and tasting, touching and listening. Glorfindel remained still as his companion’s nose gently probed about, lingering here and there, and of course THERE, and all over.

He was then climbed upon, or over as it may be. When Glorfindel dared open his eyes, he found he was staring into those of his wily friend. “Is that enough for now? Are we done? Shall we go outside now?” The last question was extremely hopeful, perhaps a little too hopeful.

Something took a firm grip at the base of Glorfindel’s length, and he cried out as he felt the head of his erection being pinched and squeezed. There was a pained yet determined look on the face of the elf above him, and Glorfindel shifted out of alignment. “No, no, you’ll hurt yourself!” he scolded, panting. “You’ll hurt me,” he added as he tried to move his companion from him and stand up.

A growl was issued forth, and Glorfindel let his limbs fall limp. “Alright. You,” he said, touching the ellon’s chest, “go there,” he said, pointing around the spot he had last seen the satchel with what gear he had left, “bring back,” he mimicked picking something up, and then tapped his own chest, “to me.”

In a flash, the wild one scampered over to the passageway, snatched up the sack, and returned with it to Glorfindel. There was no oil, for he had packed none, and the fish had seen better days. He breathed a sigh of relief to find the terrible stench he had suspected with not present. Ripping the skin from one of them, he slid his fingers through the greasy oil and sat up slowly. “Come here,” he said apprehensively, motioning to the ellon.

Licking his lips and taking a deep breath, Glorfindel rubbed his fingers along the crevice of the wild one’s backside, and was granted a loud, contented purred sigh. As soon as he tried to breach the puckered flesh, the purring was interrupted by a yelp and a yowl, and a nasty set of scratched across his chest. “Alright, obviously, I read something wrong!” apologized Glorfindel, scooting away.

Shifting his gaze, Glorfindel found he was now closer to the exit than his companion, and scrambling to his hands and knees, he began to make his way to the passage.

“Mrrrrhhhhhrrrrrrrrrr.”

Glorfindel turned around, his goal nearly in reach, his destination in sight. True, he would likely have to walk all the way back to Imladris bare assed and would hear about it from the twins, let alone half of the realm, for the next five hundred years. But at least, he would be home, home and safe.

“Hrrrrraaooooorrrwwww...”

Again, Glorfindel paused, looking behind him. Huddled in the moss was the wild one, his hair a tangle around him. He sat up on his haunches, crying out miserably. Glorfindel bit his lip, ashamed of the pain he must have caused. With a sigh, he sat down, watching his companion.

In the darkness, Glorfindel could see the jaw of his odd new friend twitch, the bright eyes glazed and cloudy. Bowing his head, the dark one let out a final mourning wail, then curled up in the moss and furs with his back to Glorfindel and began to cry pitifully.

“Ah, I can’t leave you here like this,” mumbled Glorfindel, crawling back to the lone elf. Snuggling beside the ellon in the mossy nest, Glorfindel gently gathered the wild elf into his arms, rocking him, offering kind words when they came to him. Eventually, the tears stopped and were wiped away. The sniffles subsided, and before he had realized what he was doing, Glorfindel was tenderly kissing the sweet, mysterious ellon who in such a short time had become so important to him.

“Strange, but I think I love you,” admitted Glorfindel as he nuzzled the ellon’s neck. “Probably because you’re the first one who hasn’t asked me within two days of meeting what it was like to fight the bloody balrog. You probably don’t even know what in the name of Morgoth a balrog is, do you?”

A purr was the only response Glorfindel received. The purr was followed by a reciprocating nip to his shoulder, causing Glorfindel to groan. Acts of love, as he imagined them, were always beautiful affairs, for no one had ever suggested anything so primal as this. These thoughts made Glorfindel wonder whether he was in love or not, and whether his companion had any inkling what-so-ever as to what they were doing. “Well you must,” Glorfindel finally reasoned as he was groped and bitten, all the while purred upon. “Obviously, something in your mind must tell you that you and I cannot procreate, so there must be love, or something like it.”

When the little wild elf turned so that his back was to Glorfindel’s front and began to rub his rear against the blond’s reaction, Glorfindel gently held him at bay. “How soon you forget how it went the last time.”

“Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...”

“Oh, I know,” chuckled Glorfindel as the wild one twisted and arched and attempted to make contact. “I won’t let you hurt yourself again, though.”

The ellon looked over his shoulder, and Glorfindel could clearly see what the slighter elf was feeling in those bright eyes. Rejection. Discontentment. Loneliness. Misery. Each emotion tore at Glorfindel’s heart and soul.

“No matter what I say, you just won’t understand.” Glorfindel stroked his hand along the wild one’s arm as he turned away and sniffled again. A strange thought came to Glorfindel’s mind. If he turned this elf away, he feared he may never see him again. If he took him as it seemed he wanted, he would be his forever. ‘I can live with that, but I can’t live with loosing him,’ thought the warrior. His decision was made.

Moving down until he was able to see the wild one’s backside, Glorfindel gently eased his companion onto his stomach. Without explanation, for it really seemed not to matter, Glorfindel ran the tip of his tongue up the cleft, and the moan that came from the wild ellon caused Glorfindel to do the same. Gently, he probed, and by and by, Glorfindel managed to prepare his way using his mouth.

Purring was almost nonstop now, accompanied by groans and pleasured whines of impatience for more. Using oil from the fish again, but this time to slick his member, Glorfindel tried to slow his breathing and calm himself as he readied his entry. “Please, let me do it right this time,” he mumbled to no one in particular. Very gently, he eased into the wet passage, his own cries far exceeding his companion’s this time.

Having only known the touch of his own hand, Glorfindel found himself rapidly losing control over the situation. The wild one growled and arched back; Glorfindel thrust forward with great force. In those minutes as they were joined, Glorfindel lost himself to the moment, his actions and sounds mimicking those of the wild elf beneath him. Upon reaching climax, he sunk his teeth into the ellon’s shoulder, purring with satisfaction.

It was the purr that brought him back to reality. Not the purring of his companion, but a low, rusty sound from the back of his own throat. Glorfindel pulled away gently, disconnecting, letting go. Then he froze.

*good-more-over-sad-warm-good-sleepy*

They weren’t words, they were feelings. What scared him was that they were not his feelings. Glorfindel looked down at the dark elf. He was still panting, trying to gain back his calm. Telltale signs of their coupling were smeared on his belly and his more intimate places. But there was a look of absolute bewilderment upon his face. Glorfindel could only imagine what he was seeing or hearing in his mind.

“But... but this is impossible,” said Glorfindel to himself. “The only way for me to know your thoughts and for you to know mine is if we were to bind, and we cannot be bound. It isn’t possible. We have neither exchanged vows nor called upon-“ Glorfindel paled. “Called upon the names of... of Elbereth, Manwe and...”

Glorfindel watched the wild elf sympathetically. The ellon was shaking his head, obviously in an attempt to make the voices he heard in it ‘right’ again, as it were. “Dear Eru, what have I done?” muttered Glorfindel.
Chapter 7 (by Zhie) by Zhie
For Glorfindel, the sunlight was not something he wanted, but something he needed. Not wishing to risk confusing the wild one- his wild one, now- Glorfindel took the ellon by the hand and coaxed him out of the cave. Once outside, Glorfindel let out a relieved sigh as he basked in Anor’s glow. The nuzzling elf beside him was not forgotten; Glorfindel, for the first time, snuggled back as they sat in the grass and watched the squirrels scamper from tree to tree.

“There are so many that have tried to capture my heart, some for years, some even longer,” said Glorfindel, speaking of numerous elves, male and female, who had expressed their romantic interests in him. “A week has yet not passed since I first saw you, and somehow you managed to do what they had failed to.”

Arranging himself so that the wild one was situated between his legs, to lean back and purr against Glorfindel’s chest, the blond continued. “There were no extravagant gifts, no fancy dinners, no love notes left upon my desk. In fact, no words at all, and yet...” Glorfindel kissed the mess of sable hair, causing the dark one to look up at him. “I love you.”

Knowing now that his thoughts and feelings could be sensed by his mate, Glorfindel concentrated upon that final thought, on love, projecting it to the wild ellon. In return, Glorfindel felt the emotions, the basic thoughts, of his companion.

*mine-warm-mine-love*

Smiling down at the beautiful one he held, Glorfindel said, “At least we’re on the same page about something.

- - -

Dinner was once again fish, which Glorfindel was getting sick of. From the look on the wild ellon’s face, it was lacking appeal for him as well. “Sorry. If only I had my bow,” said Glorfindel wistfully, thinking of all of the items that he lacked.

The wild one must have sensed Glorfindel’s disappointment, for he disregarded his dinner to crawl over to Glorfindel, settle in the blond’s lap, and begin to purr. “Thanks,” smiled Glorfindel, setting his supper aside to embrace the other ellon. Again, he sensed the same possessiveness and contentment from his companion as he had earlier. “I absolutely adore you,” admitted the warrior as his arm was licked soothingly for a moment and then nuzzled. “You could care less if I killed a balrog or not, you have no idea what my position is, my status, the amount of my fortunes- none of that interests you. All you want is... me.” The last word came out almost choked, and Glorfindel bowed his head, looking deeply into the dark, wild eyes, which were calm now but filled with desire. “I have needed you for so long,” he whispered.

Stretching up, the dark one nipped twice at Glorfindel’s jaw, and purred. When he received no real response, he nipped again, harder this time. “We should finish eating,” muttered Glorfindel as he felt that warm, moist tongue stroking his throat. “You wicked thing,” he managed as the darkling crawled out of his lap and onto all fours, presenting himself with his back arched. There were mewls of need as the wild one edged back to rub against the blond warrior.

Wishing again for something more to use as preparation, Glorfindel settled for the oil from the fish and his own saliva. No longer in the comfort and safety of the cave, the blond refused to take his lover while on all fours on the ground where stones and sticks might make things uncomfortable. “We do this my way,” he growled, pulling his companion to his feet and taking him to a large rock that had been smoothed by rain and time. Glorfindel removed his leggings and tossed them on the ground, then kicked the shirt that his lover had thrown off towards the other article of clothing. Sitting down on his hastily made cushion, Glorfindel leaned against the hard surface with his knees bent up at either side for stability.

His hands wrapped around the dark ellon’s waist, turning him around to face away and after using his mouth to tease the entrance once more, Glorfindel pulled him gently down. He had every intention of lowering him slowly onto his hardened arousal, but at the first contact, the wild one growled and pushed back, impaling himself instantly. “Aiya.. ah.. too.. fast..” said Glorfindel, eyes closed as he let out a shuddering breath and held his mate firmly while he took a moment to gain his composure.

“Mmmmmrrrrrr!” Impatience was taking hold of the smaller elf, and when he found he could not move as he wished, he used his inner muscles to milk the length within him. Glorfindel loosened his restraining hold, crying out as the hidden wildness inside him took over and began to thrust his hips.

Tangling his arms with his wild companion’s, which gripped his legs for support and leverage, Glorfindel panted and gritted his teeth as raw pleasure rose up and took him over the edge. Though sated himself, Glorfindel continued making love to his partner until the evidence of his completion covered the ground.

“Not so fast,” mumbled Glorfindel as his companion tried to move away. Wrapping his arms around his lover, the warrior’s length, still buried inside the wild ellon, twitched with renewed desire. The darkling purred heavily as Glorfindel experimentally thrust his hips a few times, finding the passage slick yet still so tight around him. Once again, they repeated the act, with Glorfindel speaking less and less, replacing his words with the universal language of need and desire.

- - -

Glorfindel knew he was being watched as he cast the line back into the water. He had yet to have a fish tug the line that morning and was getting impatient. With a sigh, he pulled the line back in, and to his dismay found the hook empty. “Clever, sneaky, stupid fish,” he mumbled.

A worried mew made him glance over to the log his wild companion was sunning on. The dark elf had been keeping a close watch over the slayer, and tilted his head with worry. “No, no, not you, the fish.” Glorfindel waved his hand in the direction of the river before crouching down to find another maggot or worm.

The wild one scampered over, flipping over a rock. Beneath, Glorfindel found his choice of crawly things and smiled in thanks. Once the hook was baited, he had an idea. “Do you want to try?” Glorfindel held the pole out to his mate, who simply stared at it. “Watch; ‘tis easy.” Casting the line out, Glorfindel looked to his companion. “Would you like to try?” he asked again, drawing back the line. “Just swing the line in like this.” Glorfindel demonstrated again, brought the line back in, and offered the pole to the other ellon.

Cautiously, the smaller elf took hold of the pole and positioned his stance like the one Glorfindel had. He squinted his eyes, and with the tip of his tongue protruding from the corner of his mouth, the wild one cast the line.

Unfortunately, not knowing his strength and all of the principles behind it, he cast the pole into the water as well.

As the pole began to sink into the water in the middle of the river, Glorfindel started to laugh. It was a quiet, disbelieving chuckle that turned into tearful laughter as he added it to the list of misfortunes which had befallen him. “Who wants fish for breakfast anyway?” he asked as his laughter died down. He noticed his companion, still standing in the same position, watching the water intently. “I am afraid it isn’t coming back,” he told him ruefully, embracing him gently from behind. As the dark ellon purred and leaned back against him, Glorfindel idly bent his head to kiss his companion’s neck. “I should be going- we,” he corrected himself, “should be going home.”

But how was he going to explain it? How would he manage to get his wild little lover to follow? Sitting down, with his mate in his lap, Glorfindel picked up a stick and crudely drew an image of the cave in the wet sand and mud. “This is your home,” he said, as he began work on another drawing, this time of the homely house. “This is.. my home.”

Glorfindel pointed the stick at the cave, and then at the dark elf. He pointed the stick at the house, then to himself. The ellon looked down at the pictures instead of watching the stick, and Glorfindel repeated the action. As he began a third time, the stick was yanked from his hand, and it was pointed twice at the house, then from the house to Glorfindel and from the house to the wild one.

“Are you sure?” asked Glorfindel, looking into the dark, gentle eyes. With something of a bark of frustration, his companion slapped his free hand into the mud and ruined the drawing of the cave. Adamantly, the stick was pointed at the house.
Chapter 8 (by Zhie) by Zhie
"I still must wonder where you came from," spoke Glorfindel to himself as the wild one ran ahead in the direction they were going before scampering back to nuzzle him and repeat what he was doing once again. "Who are you, and is someone missing you right now?"



Glorfindel smiled as he was snuffled, a nip given to his neck, and then into the grass he was knocked down. The grinning face of the wild ellon hovered above his. His nose was licked and he felt the rumble of a deep purr through his skin. Just as his hands began to move to draw his mate closer, the wild elf hopped off of him, rolling to the side. He landed in a crouch, made a laughing sort of hissing noise, and dashed off again.



"Tease!" shouted Glorfindel as he sat up watching the retreating figure who kept looking over his shoulder. The ellon glanced back more and more, and when he saw that Glorfindel was sitting in the grass and not following him, he barked with worry and retraced his steps.



Flopping down beside Glorfindel, the wild one mewed impatiently. "Yes, yes, I know, do not worry," comforted Glorfindel, reaching his hand up to smooth the dark tangles of hair back as best he could. "We will be home soon – in less than an hour, I think. We are nearly to the guard posts. I do hope they will leave us to walk in peace," thought Glorfindel aloud.



Sensing his companion's unease, the dark one crawled upon Glorfindel's lap and snuggled against him. "You are such a sweet thing," remarked Glorfindel, holding his precious treasure tight. "I hope I am not doing you harm by bringing you here."



The elf edged away as Glorfindel loosened his hold. He was dressed with the best Glorfindel could come up with, wearing the warrior's shirt with the strap from his sack tied around the dark one's waist as a belt. He was nearly presentable- the shirt fell low enough to cover things that needed covering. Glorfindel was wearing only his leggings, but it was not altogether uncommon for him to venture out and return with his shirt stowed in his pack during a hot day.



He would have liked to have sat there in the sunshine with his dear little newfound lover, but when Glorfindel's stomach growled as the faint scent of fresh baked breads and pies set out to cool filled his nostrils, he stood up and pulled the dark one up as well. "Are you as hungry as I am?" he asked, sniffing the air.



The wild ellon began to smell the food as well, and whined hopefully. "Yes, time to get home," agreed Glorfindel, tucking his mate beside him. If he passed the guard posts with the little one close by, he suspected he would have less trouble entering without being questioned by the guards.



The dark one nuzzled him as they walked closer. A bit of chimney smoke was visible above the tops of the trees. As they stepped past the hidden flets in the trees, the dark one began to growl low in his throat, his eyes darting up to look dead on at the warriors who were unseen by the naked eye.



"Shhh." Glorfindel soothingly rubbed his companion's back, looking around in hopes that the soldiers would simply ignore them. He held his breath as he saw, high in the branches, an arrow pointing down at them. This was not unusual; it was normal practice to have someone just that ready to fire. As the arrow was retracted back into the branches, Glorfindel let out a relieved sigh.



"You are going to love the house," said Glorfindel as they continued to walk. "Everyone there is wonderful. Beware of Elrond, though," he remarked ruefully. "That one is a tricky sort of elf. One can only trust a peredhel as far as one can throw him – and believe me, no one can throw Elrond very far."



His dark companion was looking up at him with interest now, so Glorfindel continued despite the fact that none of his words would make any amount of sense. "You see, the thing about Peredhil is that they are like very tall Halflings. They may not look it, but most of them have a bit of pudge around their middles. It comes from indulging in too many sweets, and Elrond is one for indulging."



"At least he has a good tailor," Glorfindel decided as the house came into view. "The robes he wears cover his belly bulge quite well. However, I have seen him swimming in the river, and he could do to skip dessert a few times each week, or to take a few extra strolls in the gardens than he does. Come to think on it, his sons had best watch their own habits; they are both fit now, but who knows what might happen if they go down the path he has. Speaking of Elrond's tailor," added Glorfindel, "someone really should tell him that yellow does not look good on his person. Honestly, for the most part, Elrond has good taste in clothes, but I swear, it is only because his wife picks out his outfits. I know he had that gaudy yellow thing before she married him; and there is another one, ugly and blue with fur trimmings. You would think upon seeing him sometimes that he had never taken the time to look at himself in the mirror."



As they neared the house, Glorfindel lowered his voice. He knew he was saying things he would never voice out loud, but it helped ease his nervousness at coming to the house with his newfound lover. His wild one. "The funniest thing, though, is his hair. I have oft wonder if the weaver he uses is drunken daily. There are all sorts of loops and... things... and sometimes, adorned with very feminine hairpieces, like clips that look like butterflies. Truly, who in the all of Arda who is or was a warrior wears butterflies in their hair? Certainly NOT me." Glorfindel took a deep breath as they approached the steps of the house. "Well. We are home."
Chapter 9 (by Zhie) by Zhie
Getting the darkling into the house was not as difficult as Glorfindel had imagined. Although the steps were an interesting challenge at first, his wild companion soon mastered the stairs. It was when they came in contact with the first of the house's inhabitants that the trouble started.



"Glorfindel! I told you to take a nice, long-"



~Grrraaaahhhhlllnnn!~



Elrond took his hand from Glorfindel's shoulder and jumped back. "My goodness!" With eyes wide and a fearful look, the elf-lord asked, "Did he just try to bite me?"



In answer, the wild ellon snapped his jaw again, and continued to growl as he made a show of rubbing himself against Glorfindel. As one of the wily one's legs was bent up and curled around Glorfindel's waist, the blond remembered that there was nothing beneath the shirt to cover him, and gently pushed his lover's leg down. The whole time, the dark one kept his eyes trained on Elrond, snarling softly before turning his attention to Glorfindel.



"What... is that?" questioned Elrond, for although it seemed a very peculiar elf, there was always a possibility that Glorfindel had stumbled upon a hybrid of some sort, or perhaps a very tame and somewhat pretty looking orc.



"My souvenir," he said as Elrohir and Elladan came rushing around the corner, having heard the voice of their father's good friend from down the hallway. "Stay back," he warned them as they approached.



Elladan spoke first. "Is that an Avari?"



"No, children- well, perhaps," their father said. As soon as Elrond's voice quieted the others, the growling started once more.



"I do not think he likes you, Ada," snickered Elrohir.



"He is just nervous being around new people," Elrond assured his son. With a warm smile, the ellon tried to approach again. "Mae govannen," he began, holding out a hand. He withdrew it quickly. "Alright, that time, he did bite me!" shouted Elrond, holding his injured hand in the other. As he examined it and found it would merely be a bit bruised, he demanded, "Glorfindel, I repeat, what is that?"



Glorfindel paused in cooing to his companion and scolding him gently for nipping at the elf-lord. "An elf. What did you think he was?"



"Have you noticed he seems a little mad?" returned Elrond as Elladan reached a hand out, only to be sniffed and snuffled by the wild one. Elrond yanked his elder son's arm away, and the dark one snarled and tried to slap Elrond away from Elladan, but Glorfindel had a good grip on his lover and pulled him back.



"No, he is not mad, he is just wild. I found him in the forest; I had to bring him here."



With a sigh, Elrond shook his head. "I understand you think you are doing what is best for him, but some... things just cannot be tamed. You should probably take him back before he hurts someone. Then what am I to do?"



Knowing he would still win the battle, Glorfindel carefully chose his words. "Alright," he nodded. "Just let me retrieve a few of my things first."



"What things?"



"I need weapons, clothes, just a few essentials," said Glorfindel as Elrohir snuck around the pair in the middle of the hallway, observing the wild creature. "Is my door still nailed shut?"



"Glorfindel, why do you need those things?" insisted Elrond.



Shrugging, Glorfindel said, "Well, he will simply follow me if I try to come back to get them myself. Better to get my things now before I leave."



"You plan to leave with him," stated Elrond.



"I thought that was obvious," Glorfindel said calmly. Elrohir glanced over, noting that his father was busy with Glorfindel. The young peredhel held out his hand to be snuffled, the sugar from his breakfast licked from his fingers.



"So, he is wild and you are- Elrohir, get over here!" Elrond pointed at the space beside him as his son sheepishly gave an apologetic look at the wild ellon and stepped away. "And you are mad," Elrond finished.



"Mad, yes, I suppose I am," replied Glorfindel. "Mad in love. Now, will you help me-"



Elrond's eyes practically burst from their sockets. "Excuse me, what did you say?"



"What? When?" Glorfindel absently pressed a kiss to the top of the darkling's head. He received a nuzzle and a purr in return.



For a few moments, Elrond shifted his gaze from Glorfindel to the wild creature and back again. "You love him?"



"I certainly hope so. A little late to consider such a thing after one has been bound to another."



At a loss for words, Elrond simply stared. Elladan interrupted the silence by nudging his brother. "This is going to occupy his mind for weeks. There will never be a better time than now to tell Ada we ruined the rug in the sitting room."



"Ada," began Elrohir, "remember that jar of black ink you could not find yesterday?"



"Not.. not now, boys." Elrond placed his hand upon his forehead and rubbed at the headache that was coming on. "Glorfindel, you cannot really- did you really bond to him?"



"I have," Glorfindel confirmed with a nod. The sounds of someone else approaching from around the corner made Glorfindel draw his dark lover tightly to him.



"Is that Glorfindel I hear?" The voice and the footsteps belonged to Lady Celebrian, and in her arms was little Arwen. "It is! Look who came home from vacation! Can you welcome Glorfindel back, Arwen?"



The young one waved her hand wildly. "Welcome home, Unca Findel!" Arwen spied the wild ellon before her mother did. "Puppy!" she shouted, and clapped her hands.



"Nnnnno, not a puppy, Arwen," warned Elrond. He held up a hand. "Stay there, Bria," he directed his wife. "It is a W-I-L-D E-L-F," he explained.



Giving her husband a slightly annoyed look, Celebrian said, "Yes, I know. We had a few like this that would wander around the borders of Lothlorien. Very harmless, actually, once they trust you." Celebrian came closer, holding out her hand, allowing the darkling to snuffle her palm. Elrond looked on warily.



The wild one released the fierce hold he had on Glorfindel and nuzzled his nosed against the sleeve of Celebrian's dress. Just as Elrond was about to come forward to 'protect' his wife, Arwen gave a little squeal of delight. She squirmed and reached over, petting the dark one's head. "Puppy!" she shrieked again.



A few feet away, the twins began to snicker and chortle. "Yes, Arwen, 'tis a puppy!" managed Elladan before he and his brother began to laugh again.



"No, it is NOT a puppy," growled Elrond, who was in turn growled at by the wild creature. "Fine, call him a puppy, see if I care," muttered the elf-lord. Clearing his throat, he said, "If you have bound to him, he cannot be completely wild. He may stay if you take responsibility for him," Elrond finally decided.



Smiling, Glorfindel nodded. "Thank you, Elrond. And since you wished me to take an extended vacation, would it be alright for me to spend the rest of my time off here in the valley? I promise not to engage in work of any kind," said Glorfindel as he watched his wild lover snuggle his cheek against Arwen's hand before receiving another pat on the head.



"Yes, of course. And keep an eye on... him," Elrond insisted, waving his hand toward the darkling. "If he is going to stay here, you will need to find more suitable clothing for him. And a bath- he is going to need a bath."



"That is quite a tall order, my dear," said Celebrian, walking to her husband. Holding out Arwen, she said, "Would you mind terribly watching her for the rest of the afternoon so I might aid Glorfindel in cleaning up his mate and finding something for our newest resident to wear?"



Elrond gladly took Arwen into his arms, happy to have her safely with him and away from the wild creature in the hallway. "Shall I send a soldier or two just in case you need them?" he asked.



"Please, no," she answered. "I really will be alright, I promise. Besides, Glorfindel will be there- there is no better warrior in the valley, save you, dearest," Celebrian added, giving her husband a kiss. Their sons made the appropriate kissy noises to tease their parents. Ignoring their male offspring, Celebrian gave Arwen a kiss on the cheek and received one in return. "Besides, I would suggest you help Glorfindel, but I get the feeling his lover does not like you much."



"That was obvious to you as well?" sighed Elrond as he left around the corner, ushering the twins along with him.



"Well, then!" Celebrian smiled. "Shall we?"



Uneasily, Glorfindel nodded, while the ellon still clung to his arm, leaving small red marks where his fingers gripped too tightly. Best as he could, Glorfindel tried to explain, with thoughts and feelings, what exactly a bath was while Celebrian waved one of her handmaids over who happened down the hall. The wild one, wary as ever of all the newness, held tighter to Glorfindel as his breathing came quicker.



After whispering a few things to the maiden, Celebrian dismissed the young elleth, who hurried down the corridor. "I shall aid you," offered Celebrian gently, noting the look of terror in the wild ellon's eyes. "We can use the private bath Elrond and I have. Follow me."
Chapter 10 (by Zhie) by Zhie
The bath was perhaps one of the most interesting firsts that Glorfindel shared with his wild companion. Not because it was a romantic affair, or anything that would make him smile himself silly in the morning. It was Celebrian who gently suggested, once the immediate curiosity of Elladan, Elrohir, and others had worn off, that their newest resident would probably do well to be properly bathed.

Uneasily, Glorfindel nodded, while the ellon still clung to his arm, leaving small red marks where his fingers gripped too tightly. Best as he could, Glorfindel tried to explain, with thoughts and feelings, what exactly a bath was. The wild one, wary as ever of all the newness, held tighter to Glorfindel as his breathing came quicker.

"I shall aid you," offered Celebrian, noting the look of terror in the wild ellon's eyes. "We can use the private bath Elrond and I have. Follow me."

There was no room to dispute the lady, and with the best smile of reassurance Glorfindel could give him, he led his mate down the hallway behind Celebrian. Although he seemed to have no reaction to the ladies and children that they passed – he seemed as curious as the twins as they had been of him - every time another ellon came close, the wild elf reared back and snarled, sometimes growling and trying to bite them as he had with Elrond.

'At least he has not tried to strike them,' thought Glorfindel to himself as one of the junior guards backed himself against the wall as they passed by after the darkling snapped and bared his teeth at the ellon. "Sorry, I'm sorry," he vocalized in apology of his mate to the scared guard.

As Celebrian opened the door and stepped aside for Glorfindel and his partner to enter, the lady remarked, "I do declare. I believe he is quite possessive of you, Findel."

"Possessive? Why do you say that?" asked Glorfindel as he led the dark one to the tub at one end of the room.

"All of the hissing and growling. He sees the other ellyn as competition, I think." Celebrian shut the door and locked it to give them privacy and then retrieved soap and a cloth for washing. "There should be warm water in the tub already; I told my maid to ready the bath."

"Aye, there is," confirmed Glorfindel. He reached down and skimmed his hand through the water, finding it was indeed warm. "Bath time," he said to his companion, reaching for the belt around the dark elf's waist. "Time to clean you up."

Looking warily at Celebrian, the slighter ellon finally allowed Glorfindel to undress him. Getting him into the tub was another story.

"Please, just get into the tub," begged Glorfindel for the tenth time. He had first tried to ease his mate into the water, but his darkling would have none of it. He pulled and tugged and managed to get away, resulting in a chase around the bathing chamber and sometimes around poor Celebrian. Half of the items that had been on shelves were on the floor and the other half were tipped on their sides threatening to fall.

"May I offer a suggestion?" asked Celebrian as the dark elf leaped away from Glorfindel, knocking over a stool. Glorfindel gave Celebrian a pleading look. "Try getting into the tub and perhaps he will follow?"

With a sigh, Glorfindel quickly stripped off his clothing and dumped it into a pile. Climbing into the tub, he lowered himself down, watching the darkling the whole time. "Come on. Come over here," he coaxed, motioning with his hand. "Please? Look, it's fun!" he exclaimed, trying to act excited about being in the tub. Still, his mate did not believe him, and simply turned away and faced the wall. "Alright, that's it," he growled, standing up and dripping water onto the floor as he exited the tub.

Marching over to the dark one, he expected the fight he received. The entire time that he hoisted the wild one to his feet and practically dragged him to the tub, he was kicked and clawed at. Despite the squirming of the other ellon, Glorfindel managed to get them into the tub. He then sat them down, with his mate in his lap. Glorfindel's hands were firmly gripping the slighter elf's wrists, and he had his legs wrapped over the other's to keep him from flailing about. A good amount of water had managed to make it out of the tub anyhow. "Well. Finally."

"If you can keep him in the water," said Celebrian as she rolled up her sleeves, "I can at least wash his hair." Picking up one of the bottles that had been knocked to the ground, the lady mumbled to herself, "Here I used to complain what trouble the twins gave me – tis nothing compared to this."

The wild ellon continued to snarl and hiss as Celebrian lathered the dark snarled locks of hair, but he stopped fighting against Glorfindel's hold on him. "Better not push it too much tonight," she suggested, setting a bar of soap on the ledge of the tub. "Let me give you some room in case he thrashes again, but you should try to clean him up a little at least."

Glorfindel nodded and waited until Celebrian was across the room before letting go of one of the darkling's wrists to take hold of the soap. He managed to quickly scrub the dirt and dust of their journey from both of them, making the water turn a dingy grey. Setting the soap aside, Glorfindel helped his mate to stand up as Celebrian brought a pitcher of water over.

"Stand closer to him, I only have the one pitcher and there is an awful lot of area to rinse off," said Celebrian, stepping up onto the stool. Glorfindel did as instructed, holding onto the wild one's wrists again as the water was poured over their heads. There was no squirming and shuffling, and Glorfindel realized that this was probably much like the waterfalls that his darkling would use to clean himself.

Celebrian was ready with a fluffy towel, which she held out for Glorfindel. The minute he and his mate had stepped out of the tub, however, the darkling bowed his head, bending over to put his hands on his knees, and rapidly began to shake himself off, spraying water over everything in the entire room. Droplets slid off the window, the mirror, and even Celebrian. "Oh, dear," muttered Glorfindel as he patted off his face and then wrapped the towel around his hips to cover himself. Taking another towel from the pile, he shook it open and approached the wild elf before another round of shaking could occur.

"Use a towel. Towel." Glorfindel demonstrated, wiping the water from his arms as he came closer. He held the towel out to the other ellon, who sniffed it, then snatched it, and sloppily did as Glorfindel had shown him. "Celebrian, do you have a comb I can use? I just noticed his hair is even worse now than it was."

"Of course. Just a moment." The lady finished mopping herself up, and then searched the floor for the requested item. "Here we are," she said, handing Glorfindel the comb. She pulled the stool away from the tub and into the middle of the room. "Do you think he will sit on it for you?" she wondered. "It will make it easier."

"We shall soon find out." Glorfindel held his hand out to the darkling. He led him back to the middle of the room, and motioned to the stool, patting the seat. Cautiously, the wild one sat down. and Glorfindel breathed a sigh of relief. Walking around behind him, he grimaced, trying to decide where to begin.

"Start at the bottom," advised Celebrian, joining Glorfindel. She lifted up the long, matted hair so that Glorfindel would have both hands free. "Just work on it a little at a time."

Twenty minutes and a dozen scratches later, Glorfindel threw the comb to the ground. "This is impossible," he grumbled. "I do not think I even managed to untangle any of it."

"Well... hair grows back," Celebrian reminded him, letting go of the clump they had been working on. "Some of this is really bad," she assessed, examining some tightly knotted areas. "We could keep going, but it won't do any of us a bit of good in the long run. I have a pair of sewing shears in the other room."

"Can you get them without him noticing?" asked Glorfindel in a low voice, not wanting to see what the darkling's reaction would be to yet another foreign object. Celebrian nodded and quietly padded to the door and exited the room. Glorfindel pretended to continue doing what he had been until she returned.

"I cut the twin's hair all the time, grows like weeds with the two of them, so do not worry," Celebrian assured Glorfindel.

The darkling, no doubt having realized something was going on, happened to turn around. Upon seeing the sharp, pointed object in Celebrian's hands, he was on the other side of the room in a corner, snarling and snapping once more.

"Damn." Glorfindel sank down onto the stool. With his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands, he mumbled, "Why do you have to be so damn difficult? Why?"

- snick -

Glorfindel sat up suddenly in alarm as something soft grazed his back. "What are you doing?" he demanded, feeling slightly ill.

"Shh, look happy. At least look at ease. I'm showing your mate he has nothing to fear." Celebrian cut another golden lock from Glorfindel's mane.

"Yes, I concluded that, but that's my hair you're cutting, m'lady," he managed to say from behind clenched teeth. "The least you might have done was ask."

"You would have said no," she reasoned.

"Exactly!" Glorfindel continued to smile and kept himself glued to the stool, though he wished nothing more than to jump up and yank the scissors from Celebrian's hand.

Snip. Snip. Snick. "Sit up straight, Findel," said Celebrian, pausing for a moment. "I need to be sure this is straight." Glorfindel did as he was told, keeping his hands folded in his lap and willing himself not to wring them and not to whimper as a clump of golden waves fell to the ground within his sight. Looking to the darkling, who was looking on with curiosity now instead of fear, Glorfindel gave him a reassuring smile. "Nearly done?" he asked.

"Just another minute." Celebrian picked up the comb from the floor and made a few more cuts after combing back Glorfindel's hair. "There. Hopefully he won't have a fit now," she said.

"I would hope so as well," said Glorfindel as he glanced down at the curls of gold that were strewn across the floor. Looking at the wild elf, he stood up and patted the stool. "Your turn," he said, though it was in a rather unconvinced tone.

Coming slowly forward, the dark elf eased himself onto the stool, taking hold of Glorfindel's hand and refusing to relinquish it. "Go ahead," said Glorfindel to Celebrian as the darkling fixed his eyes forward.

Celebrian judged where the worst of the tangles were and took hold of the dark mass, cutting off three-quarters of the matted mane. What was left was still fairly tangled, but she tried again to comb out the dark hair that fell just past the wild one's shoulders.

As she hit the first unmanageable area, the ellon howled and reached back, taking hold of the comb and flinging it across the room, where it landed in the tub and sunk to the bottom. Letting go of Glorfindel's hand and scrambling to the floor, he retrieved the shears and forced them into Celebrian's hands, then sat back on the stool.

"I would just do what you have to do before he decides he is going to object," said Glorfindel, scratching his neck where the ends of his hair now tickled it. "It will make it a lot easier to clean and take care of until he really learns how to do things," the blond added.

By the time Celebrian was finished, the floor encircling the stool was covered with tangles of dark brown hair, with the occasional patch of gold peaking out. Both Celebrian and Glorfindel breathed a sigh of relief as the retrieved comb managed to pass through the short dark hair without a problem. "Thank the Valar," added Glorfindel as he picked up one of the two robes that had miraculously managed to escape the drying off episode earlier. After tying the belt at the waist, he brought the other to his mate. "You can not run naked through the hallway," he apologized, holding the robe up.

"What an adventure." Celebrian sat down on the stool,
exhausted. "Findel, if you need anything else, have one of the pages or the maids call for me. It appears you are going to have your hands full for a while."

"Aye. And thank you." Glorfindel led his lover to the door, the two of them walking down the corridor after leaving the Lady and Lord's chambers. It was late now, well past dinner, and the halls were mostly deserted. Those whom they did pass wisely gave them a wide path to avoid the glares and growls from the darkling. Upon reaching his room, Glorfindel found that a fire had been lit, and food had been left on the table inside the door. There was a note from Elrond as well, offering any aide that might be needed and wishing them a good night. Before he had finished reading the note, Glorfindel noticed that his wild mate was already feasting on the cold duck and chunks of bread which were on the tray.

Locking the door, Glorfindel stretched and yawned, then went to turn down the bed. Until now, he had not realized how tired he was. "You need to learn to slow down," he muttered as he came back to the table to find that the duck was half gone. Pulling out a chair, he sat down and placed a few chunks of fruit and a slice of meat onto an empty plate before lifting it to his place. He then picked up a fork from the tray and began to eat.

The darkling paused, his mouth open and food about to be shoved inside. Watching as Glorfindel very casually ate his meal, the dark one dropped the chunk of bread he had been chewing on onto the other plate. Clambering onto the opposite chair, he grabbed the plate as well as a fistful of fruit and another hunk of meat and dumped them onto the plate. Picking up the fork, the darkling held it in his hand tightly and stabbed it into the bread, lifting it up to gnaw on the crust.

Across the table, Glorfindel could not help but smirk. "It is a start," he said, continuing to eat. Although his plate contained less, he finished after his wild mate, who was sniffing at a bowl of water on the tray meant for washing one's hands. Before Glorfindel could stop him, the wild ellon had scooped up a handful of water and was drinking from the bowl. "Ah, well, at least you didn't go for the chamber pot," he reasoned, taking one of the goblet and the bottle of wine which had been provided. The pop of the cork gained the dark one's attention, but he soon went back to slurping water from the bowl.

Taking his goblet with him as he walked to the bed, Glorfindel announced, "Bedtime!," and sat down on the edge of the mattress. He was setting aside the wine on the table beside the bed when the dark one wandered over. "Aiya, you are a mess! And to think, you were just bathed. Here, back to the table with you," he scolded lightly, leading his mate back. Stripping the robe from him and tossing it onto the chair, Glorfindel then took a cloth from the table and wetted it, wiped off the ellon's face and hands. "There. Now, time for bed," he said, leaving the cloth atop the discarded robe. He brought his mate to the bed. "Time to sleep," he added, trying to think about sleeping, hoping that through the bond they now shared that he could make the darkling understand.

Eyeing up the fire, the wild ellon pulled away from Glorfindel and made for the fur pelt that was on the floor. Curling up on the fur, he started to purr and nuzzle against the warmth.

"No, no, not on the floor, in the bed. Sleep in the bed."
Glorfindel bent down beside the darkling and lifted him up, leading him to the bed. Again, his mate pulled away, spying now the dark area under the bed. "No! Not under the bed!" Glorfindel wrapped his arm around the darkling's legs before he could manage to crawl under the bed completely. "Sleep IN the bed. IN the bed." Glorfindel patted the mattress as soon as he had pulled his mate out from underneath it.

Once more, the ellon headed for the fire and the furs. Before he could reach them, Glorfindel had managed to reach the pelt. Lifting it up, he brought it to the bed and draped it over the foot of it. Immediately, the darkling leaped onto the bed and nestled against the furs. "Getting warmer," remarked Glorfindel, taking time to drink the wine in the goblet before refilling his glass. As he took another sip, a smile pulled at his lips. "I have an idea," he said to himself, sitting down on the fur beside his lover.

Again he sipped his wine, adding the appropriate `Mmmmm', as he did so. Sitting up slightly, the darkling sniffed in the direction of the goblet. "Oh, you don't want any of this," said Glorfindel, taking another sip. The wild elf rose up more, sniffing closer. "Alright, just a little taste," he said, keeping hold of the goblet as he lifted it to the darkling's lips.

Two glasses later, the darkling's eyelids were drooping and no sounds of protest came as he was moved from the furs to beneath the covers on the bed. "I hope it won't take too long to convince you this is better," said Glorfindel, setting the goblet on the side table. Glorfindel removed his own robes, tossing them onto the floor, before sliding in next to his mate.

"Damn. I forgot about the fire." Glorfindel laid his head back into the pillows, contemplating whether it was worse that the room would be lit by the firelight for the next hour or so while the embers burned out, or that he would need to go through the process of getting his mate into bed again for no doubt curiosity would lead his lover to leave the bed when Glorfindel did to put out the fire. As he wondered about this, Glorfindel turned his head to the side to find his mate on his stomach, examining the items that lined the double shelf of the carved headboard.

Glorfindel propped himself up with one arm, watching his dark lover touch volume after volume, mesmerized by the feel of the leather bindings, some coarse and worn and some smooth and new. Perhaps it was only because there were so many that his darkling was enthralled - Glorfindel's collection of books rivaled that of a small library. Not only did he own the shelves of tomes behind the bed, but he had many cases in the rooms of his quarters, as well as piles here and there which had no official place yet.

'Parma,' he thought to his companion, and the ellon immediately withdrew his hand. Glorfindel lifted himself up more and moved closer, reaching his arm around his mate to touch one of the books. "Parma," he said out loud, and he took hold of the ellon's hand and together they caressed one of the spines. "Parma." Glorfindel repeated the word as he moved their hands from book to book until the elf beside him relaxed once again.

Glorfindel brought his dark one's hand back and placed it over his own throat. "Parma," he said clearly, slowly. He continued with this exercise, moving his lover's hand to feel how the jaw moved with the word, how the mouth moved. By now they were facing one another, and the little darkling's lips were mirroring Glorfindel's movements.

"Parma."

"Phhh Mhhh."

It was faint, more just sounds of air being blown between one's lips, like the sound a flute player makes to warm up, but to Glorfindel, it was something joyful. He grinned and nodded with great encouragement. "Yes! Yes, you are doing it! Yes! Parma! Say it again - Parma."

"Pahh Mahh."

"Nearly there. Nearly. Parma. Try it again. Parma. Pah – Errrrr – Mah," said Glorfindel, stressing the R sound.

"Pahhhahrrrmmaahh." The darkling took a deep breath and
repeated, "Paharma. Pahrrm Mah. Parm- Parmah. Parma. Parma."

"Yes!" Glorfindel embraced his mate tightly, snuggling and kissing him. "You did it! You spoke! You're brilliant, you know that! That was excellent!"

"Parma!" offered the darkling, not knowing what else to say.

"Yes! Parma, yes, oh, you don't know how happy you made me!" Glorfindel calmed himself a little and then placed his hand on his chest. Not wanting to complicate things too greatly with his whole name, he said, "Findel. Fin – Dell."

"Ffff Dahhl."

"That's good, we can work on that," Glorfindel said with a yawn. As he began to slide down beneath the covers, he was stopped by hands that grabbed at him. "What? What's wrong?"

"Uggh!" The darkling slapped his hand against his own chest, giving Glorfindel an enquiring look.

Glorfindel shrugged. It was something he really should have considered early – his mate would need a name, and it seemed he either had none or had forgotten what it was.

An idea came to Glorfindel. Every elf was always given a name by their father and later one by their mother. Glorfindel had preferred his mother's name for him, and most had no recollection of what the name his father had given him had even been. It was a nice name, and someone should get some use out of it, decided Glorfindel. Gently, he placed his hand over the dark one's and whispered, "Erestor."
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=285