Sugar & Spice by Zhie
Summary: Wedding day jitters and long past memories.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Fourth Age Characters: Elrond, Haldir, Vilya
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Dramatic
Special Collection: Elfling Chronicles
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 744 Read: 2579 Published: May 11 2009 Updated: May 11 2009

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
The knock on the door caused Haldir to practically jump off of the stool he was sitting on. The elfling looked up at him with amusement.

"Oh, my," he said to her, coming down from his perch to look at his niece. "Why, I think you might be the most beautiful elleth at the wedding."

"Do not let my niece hear you say that," Vilya said with a wink. She had definitely inherited her mother's wit, and behind Haldir, Vilya's father chuckled.

"I am going to have to agree with your Uncle," Elrond said with a smile, approaching his daughter. He patted her on the back of her head, mindful of the ribbon in her hair. "I see your Nana has had her way again and fixed your hair with a bow."

"I do not much mind it, Papa, I am not going to snag it on a tree or have it come loose today," she said, readjusting the oversized bow carefully with a gloved hand. She set her basket of flowers by the door and put her hands on her hips, appraising Haldir. "You look beautiful today, too. Are you nervous?"

"Did you mother tell you to come in here and say those words?" grinned Haldir, crouching down in front of her.

Vilya shook her head. "But it does sound like her." The elfling sighed. "I am beginning to sound like my mother."

"Ah, but she is well liked and loved, and you should have no fears, for you shall never be mistaken for her, Ithilim."

"So, are you nervous?" pressed the elfling.

"Knots in my stomach and weak in the knees," admitted Haldir.

Vilya gave him a pat on the cheek. "You will do fine." She turned to her father and said, "Nana has sent me to ask if you will be sitting with her after the ceremony or if you plan to be at the head table."

"Tell her we have added chairs at the front both for herself and for your Grandfather so that they can sit with the rest of us, if they do not mind."

Vilya nodded. She was about to pick up the basket again when she paused. "Papa?" She looked up and reached to take hold of his fingertips with her hand. "You look sad."

Elrond blinked his eyes and stooped down, one knee on the floor so that his daughter could sit on the other. "You are just very, very pretty today and you remind me a lot of your sister," he said with some difficulty, embracing her tightly when she sat down. "It is a silly thought, but I fear I might lose you, too. I know, that is not a happy thing to say before a wedding, but it is the truth."

Vilya let her father hold her for some time, finally asking, "Am I really that pretty?"

"You really are," Elrond managed, pulling back and stroking her hair.

Biting her tongue in the manner she did when she was thinking very, very seriously about something, Vilya asked, "Can you tell me about her?" The subject had been taboo in the First Homely House, though Vilya never quite understood why.

Unable to respond, Elrond swallowed a number of times and took a deep hitched breath. The answer came from Haldir, who had gone back to his stool, and had his back to them.

"Your sister, Arwen Undomiel, was one of the most beautiful ellyth to live, with a heart and soul to match. She was kind, and loyal, and yet utterly charming with a wicked wit. The grace of a swan and the voice of a dove." There was a pause, and Haldir added, "I will tell you more later, if you like."

"Yes, please, Nantor Haldir." Vilya hugged her father once more, deciding to pull back from the awkward situation. "I shall inform Nana and Grandfather of the change in arrangements. Good luck, Nantor!" she called happily after retrieving her basket and leaving the room.

Elrond straightened his robes as he stood and walked back to Haldir, putting his hand on the young elf's shoulder as he pulled a clean cloth from the top of the desk and handed it to him. Haldir took the cloth and lifted it to his face, wiping the corners of his eyes. "Why is it always assumed it is the ellyth that cry at weddings?" he joked as he placed the cloth back onto the desk.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=300