To Worship You by Zhie, Anieni
Summary: Glorfindel is a troubled elf, but he finds his peace within the Halls of Nienna. Written for the glorlovestorfqf.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Extras Characters: Elrond, Erestor, Glorfindel, Haldir
Awards: 2005 MPA Nomination, 2007 MPA Nomination, Second Place MPA
Challenge: None
Genre: Dramatic, Romantic, Spiritual
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 16689 Read: 20179 Published: August 01 2007 Updated: August 01 2007

1. My Father by Zhie

2. My Brother by Zhie

3. My Savior by Zhie

4. My Lover by Zhie

My Father by Zhie
It was in the beginning when there was only darkness that the Valar sensed a need in the hearts of the elves. Nienna wept after the destruction of the trees, her tears attempting to cleanse the filth, however, she also wept for the elves and what she could see in their future.

It was the vacuity in their hearts that was one of the causes for her grief and tears, a void she was unable to fill even for those who wandered Arda and found their fea mate. Many years she pondered her options as her tears fell endlessly, answers she sought, counsel and comfort she wanted to offer to the children, Eru, her father, had gifted with eternal life.

The dark elf wandered alone into the large building, his footsteps echoing in the immense hall with vaulted ceilings. Arched windows on each side allowed some of the late morning light to filter in, and the immense gray marble pillars were adorned with intricate carvings, but the walls were bare of any decoration. His own image was reflected on the polished floors. Not knowing where it was he had arrived he stood in the center of the hall, and a deep sense of peace and calm he had never experienced before overcame him.

At the end of the magnificent room he could see a set of steps leading to what he believed must be a door. When he got closer he distinguished a beautifully ornamented chair, and he blinked trying to focus. Where an instant before he was sure there had been an empty chair now sat a tall magnificent figure hooded with a gray cloak.

His heart bid him to get closer; his senses told him he had found the source of peace and comfort he had sought. Once he stood before her he instinctively fell to his knees and bowed his head, and without a sound she stood and walked to him, gently placing a hand on his shoulder as she spoke. “My child, do not hide your face from me, let me look into your eyes.”

As he lifted his head she pushed back the hood of her cloak. Before him stood a magnificent being, her beauty rivaled only by the kindness reflected in her steel gray eyes. When he saw tears fill those eyes and spill down her porcelain skin he felt the void in his heart disappear, his worries dissipate. His search had reached its end.

“I have waited for you long,” she whispered, “my messenger, my child, my priest.”

Erestor’s memories of his first time in Nienna’s halls were interrupted as the last of his parishioners left what was now a worship center. For thousands of years he had worked to share the solace, comfort, and guidance Nienna had provided him to anyone and everyone who needed it. Throughout the years the temple had become known and elves came from far and wide to worship and in search of answers.

He noticed a lone elf stood at the end of the now empty hall. Without even realizing it he nervously started twirling the large ring on his left hand - the large sapphire cabochon that Nienna had gifted him as a symbol of his high standing always brought him comfort. He knew it was time to talk to him, elevating a silent prayer he asked for the strength to do what he must, but he stepped back into the shadows as the elf slowly approached the altar.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sitting at his desk in Imladris, Glorfindel listlessly sorted through the various work orders and summons that had begun to pile upon it. He balled up an invitation he had forgotten to respond to and tossed it in the direction of the waste basket. It bounced and hit the floor.

Unamused, Glorfindel growled and stood from his seat, glaring at the offending paper. Approaching it while offering it a few choice phrases one would not repeat in the presence of their Naneth or Adar, he picked up the paper and threw it forcefully into the canister. For good measure, he kicked the bucket as he turned to return to his desk, but the garbage bin revolted and tipped over, spilling the remnants of this morning’s breakfast and various waste papers across the floor, along with the shells of the peanuts he had been eating the night before.

Cursing again, he bent down and began to pick up the waste, not wishing to call a maid and have to explain why the mess was made in the first place. A knock came upon the door as he was crouched before it, scooping up the shells into the basket. Though he did not ask, he assumed it was Lord Elrond, and he reached up to fumble for the handle of the door to let him in.

“You’re having a bad week,” the elf lord said after taking in the entirety of the room and Glorfindel’s scowl.

“I’m having a bad life,” he snapped back. After a moment contemplation, he bowed his head and said, “I’m sorry, my lord, I-“

Placing a hand on Glorfindel’s shoulder he shook his head. “Do not worry yourself.” Elrond motioned that Glorfindel should stand. “Come. There is something I think will help you.”

He led Glorfindel down the hall, stopping a maid along the way. “I accidentally tripped over the waste basket in Lord Glorfindel’s study,” he told her. “If you would be ever so kind?” The maid curtseyed and headed down the hallway.

“You didn’t have to do that,” mumbled Glorfindel as they continued out into the courtyard, alight with the late morning sun.

Elrond smiled. “It’s my house. I get to do whatever I want.” The rest of the journey was silent, taking them down a path that Glorfindel had seen others travel, yet he had never felt the need to take the road himself. As the trees parted, they came into a clearing, and standing amid beautiful gardens that rivaled the ones he knew in Gondolin was a building more perfectly constructed than the Last Homely House.

“What is this place?” questioned Glorfindel as they came to the marble steps that led to high wooden doors that framed ornamental glass images depicting the awakening of the Eldar. “Are we still in Rivendell?”

“We stand before the doors of Nienna’s home in Middle-earth,” explained Elrond. “This is a place of comfort, of quiet and reflection. The priest, her messenger, is a goodly elf. He can help you to find the calm within your soul.”

“Right...” Glorfindel said, more than a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Lord Elrond gave him a rueful smile. “I doubted his abilities at first, but she has gifted him with great powers to soothe the souls of those who enter.” He took hold of the wooden bar and pulled one of the doors open. “Will you enter and pray with me?”

Glorfindel gave Elrond an odd look, and then shifted his gaze to the inside. There was a pleasant smell that wafted out of the door, and at the very least, it would keep him away from his desk until lunch. “Why not?” he answered and entered the cathedral.

*~*~*

Glorfindel stood next to Elrond and observed him as he kneeled down and silently prayed to the cold stone statue. After a few minutes he, too, knelt down on the cold hard floor, but no words came to him, no prayers, no comfort. Saddened and confused, he waited for his friend in silence. His tension and discomfort was obvious to anyone who observed.

When Erestor quietly walked in through a side door it was Glorfindel’s demeanor that first caught his attention. In all his long years serving Nienna, never had he seen someone look so uncomfortable in her halls.

Glorfindel’s broad shoulders rippled as he fisted his hands. As a trained warrior he could be immobile for long periods of time. He could control his breathing to appear dead; he could spend hours perched up on a tree or on a rock outcropping waiting for the enemy. It infuriated him that he was having such a hard time remaining motionless in such a peaceful place. ‘Perhaps peace is not for me. War, fierce enemies, closeness to death, danger in its purest form is what I know.’ His own thoughts angered him and increased his frustration at not being able to find peace as Elrond apparently did in this place. The muscles of his clenched jaw twitched from the effort he was making.

The trained warrior sensed a presence and looked up to see a tall elf dressed in simple black robes walking towards them, his bare feet visible under the robes as he walked. His long unbound black hair hung below his waist, and the silky tresses swayed with every step he took. His piercing eyes met those of this new elf for a second.

When Glorfindel’s sapphire blue eyes looked at him, Erestor immediately reached for his ring. He had never seen this elf in his halls before but in the brief instant their eyes met he felt a surge of electricity travel down every nerve in his body.

Elrond concluded his prayer and looked up as well, smiling he rose to greet the high priest.

“Lord Elrond, a pleasure to see you. I hope you have found peace and comfort within our walls.”

“Erestor, Nienna’s halls and your counsel never fail to bring solace to the grieving heart and hope to the wounded soul.” Turning slightly, Elrond looked at the tall blond elf standing next to him. Glorfindel stood stock still, his eyes wandering from Erestor’s face to the ring on his left hand. “May I introduce Lord Glorfindel of the House of the Golden Flower, my seneschal and dear friend.”

“Mae Govannen, Lord Glorfindel,” Erestor said in a soft and richly textured voice. “I have heard many times about you, it is an honor to finally meet you.”

Slightly bowing his head and placing his right hand above his heart Glorfindel responded, “The pleasure is all mine.” There was an undercurrent to his words that was not lost to Elrond or Erestor, however, all three elves remain expressionless.

“I hope you shall find what you seek within our halls.”

“I will,” Glorfindel said. “I have,” he added after a pause.

*~*~*

The starts still shone bright in the early morning hour, and as he had done every day since his first visit to Nienna’s halls Glorfindel walked the silent path on time to watch the stars fade and the sky grow lighter as soft hues of pink, orange, and mauve announced the birth of a new day.

There were no other parishioners at such an early hour and he was used to seeing Erestor starting his day by cleaning the altar and lighting fresh candles and incense as he walked in.

The first few days he would kneel down and pray as he observed the priest go about his duties. Normally no words besides morning greetings were exchanged between them. After a few weeks, he hardly prayed and just observed. For a while that had been enough for him. Erestor did not appear to notice that Glorfindel’s gaze never left him and that his lone worshiper’s lips hardly ever murmured prayers anymore.

When more elves started arriving, Glorfindel would usually leave. His thoughts throughout the day were mostly dedicated to his late afternoon visit to the Cathedral. His job was performed efficiently, but his mind and heart were elsewhere.

It had not taken him more than a couple of days performing discreet surveillance to figure out the priest’s habits: There was nothing hidden in his life and he seemed content with a daily routine. One of his discoveries had been Erestor’s nightly walk through the gardens once his duties were performed. He would carry a cup of tea with him and after a stroll would sit on a secluded bench where he appeared to observe nature and relax.

It had not been hard for Glorfindel to time his visits so he would arrive as the priest concluded his daily duties. After a few nights when Glorfindel left the Cathedral at the same time as Erestor walked out with his cup of tea, he was invited to accompany him on his nightly stroll. A few more nights, and the priest started appearing with two cups of steaming tea. Soon both were used to the companionship and it became part of Erestor’s routine.

Conversations about philosophy, history, art, and the goings of Arda were the subject of their discussions at first. Erestor was happy to have someone of equal intelligence and knowledge to spend some time with. There were other times when neither of them spoke, but it was never an uncomfortable silence.

For too long had Erestor kept himself emotionally distant from his followers. He was there for them, but had never expected anyone to be there for him. Spending time with someone when he was not being a priest was welcomed change. At least, that was what he thought, until that night.

Glorfindel had carefully thought this out. He was certain what brought him here was not his devotion to Nienna or the comfort others found. He was also certain the feelings were mutual, or at least that Erestor was not completely averse to him since he had readily accepted his company.

Once they were both comfortably seated on the wooden bench Glorfindel carefully placed his porcelain cup on the bench next to him, and then he took Erestor’s cup and placed it next to his. A strange and seemingly amused look from Erestor was his only response.

“Erestor, my life has changed since we met. I want to thank you for this,” he said looking into Erestor’s black eyes.

“There is nothing to thank me for my friend, I am also grateful that you have found the peace you searched for. My lady’s generosity knows no limits.”

Taking Erestor’s hands into his, Glorfindel explained. “It isn’t just that, it is your friendship, your company, that bring solace to my soul.”

Standing up and taking a step away from the bench, Erestor commented, “Friendships are to be treasured.”

Glorfindel nodded. “Erestor, I would like to be more than just your friend.”

“And you are,” Erestor said quickly, but averting his eyes.

Standing up and taking a step closer to him Glorfindel asked, “What am I?”

Erestor looked up and met his eyes. “You are someone who seeks comfort and love, a purpose in life, understanding of things.”

“I meant what am I to you?” Glorfindel asked sincerely.

“You said it yourself, you are a friend, and you have my love.” Making a pause Erestor looked into those beautiful sapphire blue eyes. “As do all who come here to seek peace and comfort.”

Shaking his head, Glorfindel turned around. After a minute in silence he asked, “What is it that you seek? Do you not need to feel loved in return, do you not seek comfort and understanding as well?”

“I am loved in return, I have been given comfort and understanding by my lady.”

“Yes,” Glorfindel said sadly, “you are loved in return, in more ways than you might know. However, the comfort and understanding I speak of is not one your lady can give, it is not hers to give. Apparently, it isn’t mine to give either,” he said with a tone of finality.

“You misunderstand,” Erestor said.

“Then explain to me!”

“I have duties to fulfill, all that was gifted to me also came with a price, you must know there is nothing in this world that comes without strings attached.”

“Erestor, my friend, you are being cryptic. I also have duties to fulfill. I have also paid a price for everything I have, that I can understand. Why do you refuse me?”

“I do not,” Erestor said sadly. “As I said I treasure your friendship, my halls are open to you, as is my heart.”

Once more Glorfindel tried to approach him but Erestor took a step back. Looking into his eyes Glorfindel nodded. “I understand,” he said, turning around and walking down the dark path.

Erestor sat on the bench and held the now cold cup of tea that had been Glorfindel’s, placing his lips where his had been before silent tears slid down his cheeks.

Once he was back in his room Glorfindel worked on sharpening his sword. He had much to ponder and spent most of the night pacing his room. Erestor’s words confused him, but his heart told him he was right, and he finally decided to return to the cathedral the next morning. The Balrog Slayer would not give up this easily, and if he could not have his love he would at least have his friendship; his company or the mere sight of him were a hundred times better than the void his life had been before.

*~*~*

There was a knock upon the door to Glorfindel’s office. “I didn’t see you at breakfast, so this may be short notice, but there is going to be a gathering of sorts in the Hall of Fire tonight.”

“Thank you, I shall have to excuse myself,” apologized Glorfindel.

“Oh?” Lord Elrond looked his seneschal over, slightly concerned. “Not that this is necessarily my place, but your social calendar used to be booked, and now it seems all you do is work, sleep, and occasionally eat.”

“And pray,” added Glorfindel. “I regretfully will not be attending the gathering here, for I have found something... not to insult the entertainment of the halls, but my nightly activities are much more... spiritual now.”

“Oh!” Elrond’s look changed to one of surprised pleasure. “I was not aware that you had returned after our first visit.”

“Every night,” admitted Glorfindel after a pause. He neglected to add “Every morning” as well.

Suspicion narrowed Elrond’s eyes. “Glorfindel, he is a servant of the Valar. I took you there to heal your soul and dispel your grief, not so that you could bed the priest.”

“I haven’t,” replied Glorfindel much more calmly than he would have at a previous time. Again, he held back his thoughts, this time the addition being, “Yet.”

Lord Elrond nodded. “I truly hope your intentions are pure. That you are entering the temple of Nienna without lustful thoughts.”

For a moment, Glorfindel fought not to slam his fist down upon the desktop. Instead, he smiled and said, “Yes, Ada,” as he looked up at Elrond.

Smiling back, Elrond shook his head. “I’m sorry. I just feel very protective of him, in some ways. No one really knows where he came from, why he does this, just that he does. He has helped me through much grief, and others rely upon him. For some who despair, his skills at listening and healing souls are what keep them from fading away.”

“I understand,” Glorfindel said, solemn once more. “I would never do anything to harm that relationship.”

Elrond took a step into the room and closed the door. “Glorfindel, I’m not sure you understand. He has taken vows, chastity among them. It would be very wrong of you to pursue him.”

Glorfindel blinked up at Elrond, dumbstruck. “That can’t be.”

“There are others, not just that. Poverty, humility, and reverence to the Valar – I am sure there are some even I do not know.” Elrond smiled sadly and said, “I am happy that you are at peace, that you have found your calm. But he is not meant for anyone, not even one as brave and noble as you.”

Once Elrond had gone, Glorfindel left his work abruptly and headed to the door. He left the house swiftly, and as soon as he was far enough away that he no longer saw the glimmer of candles in the windows, he began to run down the path that took him to Nienna’s hall.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As his destination came into sight, Glorfindel could see the parishioners leaving from the nightly services that were held. He did not often attend these group sessions, for he did not want others to become wise to his reason for coming. As the few remaining elves trickled out, he went to the doors, greeting those who greeted him cordially.

The cathedral was silent as Glorfindel entered, the sound of the door closing behind him the only interruption. In one corner, many candles were lit and their light flickered against the dark walls. He walked down the main aisle, past the wooden benches to the front altar.

There was a divide here, a fence had been erected so that those who came to the front of the hall to pray as he and Elrond had the very first time they had come were still separated from the statue of Nienna and the pulpit that he had many times now watched and listened to Erestor speak from. When the priest was in the halls, Glorfindel’s heart was lightened, and his fears and doubts vanquished. Each time he left, no matter what he did between visits, it was simply time spent waiting until the next time he came.

What had he hoped to find here? He hadn’t hoped for anything, but indeed, he had found something. He had found hope. Elrond’s words had crushed that hope, sent him running in anger and despair to a cold stone building that did not give him the comfort he sought.

Glorfindel fell to his knees and wept, his hands clutching the rail that was built around the altar, that separated him from Erestor, that separated his world from the world of the one his heart ached for. He did not feel the cold, stone ground, nor the chill of the night air that blew through the room. It was not until he felt a hand upon his head that he came to know that someone had heard his sobbing.

Erestor stood on the other side of the barrier. “Good child of Eru,” he asked, stroking back the hair from Glorfindel’s face, “why do you weep the bitter tears of my mistress when your soul should be singing?”

It was the first time Glorfindel had been touched so informally by the priest, and he did not answer at first for he was shocked that he felt neither joy nor lust at the action, but calm. A great calm that washed over him, that slowed his breath and stopped his tears. “I am... I think I love you,” he admitted.

“Many love me,” answered Erestor. “I am a bringer of comfort, and a warrior against pain and grief.”

“No,” Glorfindel said, shaking his head. “I long for you. To be near you. To be with you. That is why I have come here, every night, and many days. I fear I have become ecclesiolatry for the wrong reasons.”

This seemed to either amuse or intrigue the priest, or perhaps both. “I have seen your devotion to Nienna and have listened to your prayers. Are you so certain your faith is false?”

Again, Glorfindel had no immediate answer. Finally, he said, “My initial intention was to see you, not to give thanks to a Vala.”

“And now?” questioned Erestor. “What do you feel now?” He let Glorfindel think on this before saying, “Perhaps I was only a means to an end, and to a beginning. Consider this, blessed child of Eru. Is it not possible that I was used as bait, to lure you to this temple, to show you the life of worship, so that you might choose this path?” Taking his hand from Glorfindel’s head, Erestor continued. “You have tempered your anger. You have found peace within yourself. Help me to find peace for others.”

“How?” asked Glorfindel.

“Join me,” Erestor said simply. “You say you wish to be with me, to be near me. Terrible times are upon us, and my work is too great for only one elf. Join me, child of Eru, and fulfill your own destiny.” Erestor reached down to the small gate that separated the altar from where the many elves would come to prayer and pulled the cord loose. The door swung open, out toward Glorfindel, very slowly. Then, Erestor turned and walked to the main altar, to the great statue of Nienna that was knelt, head bowed and hands to her face in perpetual mourning. He knelt down, and leaned forward to touch his head to the ground before rising once more and reciting a prayer, and then disappearing into the shadows once again.
My Brother by Zhie
Glorfindel looked at the bare walls, small cot, and tiny windows of the room Erestor had called his quarters.

“We will get a bed for you,” Erestor said quickly, “and you can place your belongings here,” he said, pointing to a simple chest that was the only piece of furniture in the room besides the cot. “Although, you won’t need much. Perhaps it is better if you leave your belongings at the Last Homely House.”

Glorfindel simply nodded and followed him out of the room. To him everything still seemed unreal, it had happened so fast.

After Erestor had asked him to join him in serving Nienna, Glorfindel had returned to speak with Lord Elrond. Although he knew his long time friend doubted his motives for becoming a priest, Elrond was supportive of him and made the necessary arrangements to have someone take over his duties as soon as possible. In less than a week he had taken care of all his unfinished business and packed all of his possessions.

Taking one last look at the rooms where he had spent so much time and fearing a last minute change of mind, he closed the door behind him. He would not risk his only opportunity to spend his life with Erestor.

Gone were the elaborately embroidered tunics, his boots and the sword he had wielded in more battles than he cared to remember. The dark robes he now wore contrasted sharply with his golden hair, his bare feet made no sound as he walked the pebbled path that would lead him to his new home.

As he approached the large building at dawn he could see two tall figures waiting by the door. He immediately recognized the high priest in dark robes, but he was sure he had never seen the tall one in the gray cloak.

“Welcome, my brother,” Erestor said as Glorfindel stopped in front of them.

When the cloaked figure uncovered her face Glorfindel immediately fell to his knees. “My Lady,” he whispered as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Allow me to look into your eyes,” Nienna said.

Rising to his feet Glorfindel looked at her. He could feel as if her gaze pierced his very soul. There were no secrets hidden from this powerful being.

“I see your motivations,” Nienna said coldly. Glorfindel held her gaze levelly. “I can also see your determination and strength.” With a sigh she turned to look at Erestor. “Tell me, has Erestor explained to you what you are giving up? What your vows mean?”

“Chastity, humility, obedience. To aid and protect those in need,” Glorfindel said in a monotone.

“Do you understand what this means?” Nienna asked.

“It isn’t much different from the life of a warrior, my Lady.” His reply had been terse, his words polite and his tone of voice humble. It was the undercurrent to his words that upset Nienna, for she knew this was a proud being: One used to achieving success. One who would fight to his death for those he loved, and fiercely loyal, that he had proven.

“Very well, then. We shall proceed with the ceremony.”

Silent tears slid down her porcelain cheeks as they walked down the aisle of the large cathedral following her high priest. ‘He would die for me, he would die for his kinsmen. Will his love for Erestor be their redemption or their death?’ Nienna wondered, knowing she could very well loose them both if she denied Erestor’s request.

The ceremony was a simple one; much like a betrothal except standing next to Glorfindel was not his beloved, but a Vala, a powerful being to whom he was now bound for life. He was given a similar ring to the one Erestor had. The simple gold band with the fiery ruby on his hand left hand weighed heavily on his heart; unknowingly he found himself twirling it around much like Erestor as he remembered the day’s events and helped Erestor move the small bed into the sparsely furnished room that he would now call home.

~*~*~*~*~

“I still don’t know why they made me come,” shouted the irate elf, pointing accusingly at a very worried Lady Galadriel and a stoic Lord Celeborn. “Don’t they know that I hope to fade? That I want to die?”

“Is it truly what you want?” asked Erestor, trying to place a hand soothingly on the young elf’s shoulder.

“Yes!” he spat back, shoving the priest backwards. He thrust a hand towards the weeping statue and cried out, “She has no compassion! No concern! None of them do!”

Off to the side, Glorfindel was polishing the smooth wooden benches and cleaning the wax from the floor beneath the candles, two of his early morning duties before parishioners arrived. This morning, Lord Elrond had entered, followed by the keepers of the realm of Lothlorien, practically dragging with them a very distraught elf who was cursing in ways even Glorfindel had never thought to do prior to his joining the priesthood. No one had told him why the elf was here, but he knew – he knew from the anger, from the tears, from the fury in which he fought back, that something grave had happened to someone this elf loved deeply, and now he wanted nothing more than to be swept away by the sea or blown by the winds. Not to think, not to feel, not to live.

His bonded was dead.

“Haldir!” Lord Celeborn said reproachfully, “Is this what she would have wanted you to do? To leave your young daughter an orphan, to cause your family even more suffering? Renien’s death was-“

Haldir shrieked and covered his ears, falling to his knees. “Don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it,” he pleaded in a soft voice. “Don’t say her name, don’t say it.” He drowned himself out with sobs and piteous wails, and even Erestor looked at a loss for what to do.

Setting down the box of fresh candles, Glorfindel silently approached the group and after looking to Erestor for guidance and receiving a nod, knelt down next to the elf. “Haldir?” Glorfindel waited again until the young elf began to run out of tears to cry and sniffled against the sleeve of his tunic. “Haldir, my name is Glorfindel, and I’d like to help you in this difficult time.”

Haldir snorted. “You can’t help me, nobody can.”

“If you refuse help, then you are correct. We cannot help you. But I’d like to try.” Glorfindel sat back on his feet and said, “You probably think none of us knows your pain. But I do.” Again, Haldir made a noise of discontent, his hair obscuring his face and head bowed to the floor. “I wasn’t always a priest, I used to be the Captain of Imladris, so I truly know what it’s like. To be a fighter. To be a warrior, charged with the safety of others, to come to realize you have no control over the lives of those you love. So you do what you can, you compromise, and you try not to have regrets. Do you have regrets?”

Haldir looked up at Glorfindel, the shield of hair falling back and revealing his confusion. “No,” he finally said, shaking his head. “No, I loved her, but I love the forest and it was my duty to protect it. I don’t regret a single moment, how can I? I just… I feel so empty... how am I to live without her?”

“Comfort yourself in knowing she has a chance at rebirth, that Lord Namo is keeping her safe, and that Lady Nienna soothes her soul. She does in Valinor what we try to do here. I cannot make the pain go away, but I can perhaps lighten your burden a little. Will you pray with me?” Glorfindel asked, holding his hand out to Haldir.

Again the young elf looked confused, but something made him nod, and he was helped from the floor and led to the gate that encircled the altar. Here Glorfindel bowed his head and knelt upon the stone. After staring at the weeping statue for a few seconds, Haldir let out a deep sigh and dropped down to one knee, bending his other to rest his folded hands upon and looked around the altar, obviously ill at ease.

“Lady Nienna,” Glorfindel spoke softly, not often voicing his prayers aloud, but feeling the situation called for it, “help us to comfort this child of Eru in his time of grief, to guide him, and to care for him, and for his daughter. Keep safe his beloved wife within the halls of your brother, and let her find neither pain nor sorrow there. Help him see the happiness and joy in his life and with his family, and give him the hope of the future to come. Namar.”

“Namar,” repeated the rest of the elves in the cathedral, including Haldir, who was still staring at the great statue.

“You have a daughter,” said Glorfindel as he turned to face the calmed elf, who was more composed, but looked a bit stunned. Haldir nodded. “You should go to her, be with her at this difficult time. You may find that you can aid one another.”

Haldir considered this and then nodded, standing up as Glorfindel did. “Thank you,” he said, looking down at his hands.

Glorfindel gave a nod, and then after weighing the possibilities, stepped forward and gave Haldir a hug. The young elf was caught off guard, but relaxed as Glorfindel stood back again. “Have you expressed your grief in front of your child?”

Haldir shook his head. “No. I did not want her to see me like this.”

“Have you expressed your grief before today?”

There was another negative gesture, and Haldir admitted, “I haven’t really at all, not before today. I distanced myself from everyone, friends and family, hoping I would just forget. But the memories gnawed at me, and I could no longer...” Haldir sighed. “Four years. I thought I could make myself forget, but when the pain caught up to me, I just didn’t want to go on.”

“But you have so much to live for. And your daughter, that’s why you have held on, is it not?” asked Glorfindel. Haldir nodded. “Then go to her, and let her know your feelings. If you’ve kept this inside, perhaps she has kept her feelings to herself as well.”

A dawning came into Haldir’s eyes. “I can’t believe I’ve been such a terrible father,” he suddenly said.

Glorfindel shook his head. “You were being a very good husband. I am sure you are a wonderful father.”

Not knowing how to respond to the compliments, Haldir looked to those who had brought him. “I must return to Lothlorien,” he said with urgency to Lord Celeborn. “I must return now.”

Celeborn nodded and he and Haldir swiftly made their way from the cathedral as the first rays of sunlight began to touch the windows. Galadriel stayed a few moments longer, observing the hall one last time before thanking the priests and Lord Elrond and following her husband and the marchwarden out the door.

“Remarkable,” said Elrond after the door shut.

Glorfindel slowly looked to him and tilted his head. “What is?”

“Had I not seen it with my own eyes...” Elrond smiled. “My dear friend, there is something you can heal that I cannot. I am, as I always am when I come here,” he said, glancing to Erestor, “most humbly impressed.” Lord Elrond bowed to them and left the cathedral.

~*~*~*~*~


‘A minute. How long is a minute? Eternity gazing into the eyes of the one you love can seem too short, but a minute in a sleepless night can seem eternal.’ Careful not to make noise Glorfindel turned once more, with his back to the wall and facing Erestor’s bed he tried to relax and find rest.

The days were not a problem, between parishioners and his obligations he kept himself busy. Concentrating on others helped, physical labor helped too. Talking to Erestor did not. Watching him sleep peacefully only made matters worse. To Glorfindel it seemed the high priest’s head barely touched the pillow every night when he was already sleeping. ‘How I wish I could sleep like that,’ he thought as he turned again.

His eyes were fixed on the mortar that kept the large stones forming the wall in place. In the past few nights he had not only found patterns in the way the stones had been lain, but also in the small grains of sand that protruded from the mortar filling. Still his mind always wandered back to the elf not three yards from him.

With a quiet sigh he turned once more, and lying on his back stared at the ceiling. Only the stars above provided some pale light that filtered through the window. Erestor’s kind eyes, his hands, the light reflecting on his raven black hair, the kindness he showed to all around him, his velvety voice. All those details had been memorized; however, that was not what kept him awake night after night.

No pleasantries were provided for Nienna’s priests, no tub filled with warm water for bathing, nor scented oils. Instead their day started with a quick bath in the cold stream that ran behind the cathedral. Every morning before dawn they walked together and cleansed themselves in the semi privacy of a secluded pond.

Those images were the ones in Glorfindel’s mind as time slowly trickled by. The first time he had seen Erestor naked and his trim but well defined body showered in moonlight would forever be etched in his memory.

That first morning it had taken him several minutes to be able to join Erestor in the water. His body’s response to the sight had been immediate and sometimes he feared not even the bone chilling water and semidarkness would be enough to keep him in check. If Erestor had noticed anything, he was too kind and polite to mention it and Glorfindel was forever grateful.

‘Love is not a sin, it can not be!’ he finally thought before allowing himself to indulge in his fantasy. Closing his eyes he lifted the blanket and caressed himself. In his mind it was Erestor who was touching him, murmuring loving words in his ear as his hands slowly slid down his chest, further down to where his body ached for release. Clamping his mouth and burying his face on the pillow to muffle any sound his body arched as waves of pleasure washed through him.

Even if his lips did not utter a sound, his mind yelled Erestor’s name. ‘Am I a sinner?’ he wondered as he finally fell asleep.

Erestor’s eyes fluttered open once he was sure Glorfindel was deep in reverie. He knew exactly what had happened, and he was shocked by the shivers he was still experiencing, by his carnal reaction to Glorfindel’s sinful actions in the house of Nienna. He could understand Glorfindel was barely adjusting, still had not cut all ties with a previous life, with his physical desires, but him, a high priest, this was not a mere sin. One word slipped into his mind: Peccatiphilia.

So it was that Erestor’s turn to find patterns in the mortar walls started.



~*~*~*~*~

Time passed. Seasons changed. The two priests worked to comfort the suffering of their kin. Years flew by.

It was in the early morning hours so many years later when Glorfindel was roused from sleep by the sound of someone entering the cathedral. Though he was far from the entrance, back in the small, bare room he and Erestor shared, he was already pulling his robe on as he headed to the door before Erestor had opened his eyes. “Someone sneaking in, I think,” he whispered as he pulled the door open, shivering as the cold night air entered the room.

“All are welcome in the temple of Nienna,” yawned Erestor as he stretched his arms up over his head and began to push himself out of his own tiny bed.

Glorfindel smiled and nodded, but just in case, took his walking stick with him as he headed down the hall to the altar. On the other side stood Lord Elrond, panting heavily, and sweat on his brow. “Forgive me for intruding so late,” he said, bowing his head.

“You do not intrude,” assured Erestor from behind Glorfindel. The blonde turned and stepped away to allow Erestor in front of him. “What is it we may offer you?”

Elrond stood silently for a short time, glancing at Erestor, but looking mostly at Glorfindel. “I would not ask, but we are in a most desperate situation.”

Glorfindel shifted his gaze to Erestor, whose lips had drawn into a tight line and whose brow was now furled, and then to Elrond, palms up as if begging for forgiveness before asking, but then, hadn’t he already asked? “Surely, you have soldiers capable of... whatever it is that threatens Imladris,” suggested Glorfindel, though it was not his place to talk with Erestor there.

Elrond shook his head. “This is beyond Imladris, Glorfindel, we need you.”

Glorfindel started to apologize, but Erestor raised his hand. “Go,” he said.

“But my oath-“

“-is to bring peace and comfort, and if you can do that outside these walls, you will be welcomed back when you return.” Erestor turned to Glorfindel and took his hands into his. “Use your hands to defend,” he said softly, kissing the back of the right one, “when they are not folded in prayer,” he finished, kissing the left. He let go of Glorfindel’s hands and placed his own on Glorfindel’s shoulders. As Glorfindel bowed his head, Erestor kissed the top of his golden crown. “Remember your vows, remember your heart. Return to me when you are done, Brother Glorfindel,” he whispered, and then reached down to untie the gate.

As it swung open, Glorfindel looked at Erestor and nodded to him, and then looked to Elrond before walking down the aisle to the exit. He took one last look back to the altar, and at the door bent down upon his knees, bowing to the stone statue that wept, and then silently rose and left the halls.

Lord Elrond watched as Erestor solemnly retied the gate closed. “You said ‘return to me’.”

Erestor looked startled suddenly. “I meant ‘us’,” he said quietly.

“He loves you, you know,” Elrond said, reaching out to touch the priest’s hand, and then drawing back.

Erestor nodded. “I know.”

Elrond nodded back. “Thank you,” he said, and received no reply. He bowed his head reverently and walked back to the entrance. Just before exiting, he looked back and asked, “Are you ever going to let him know that the sentiment is returned?”

Erestor looked aghast. “I have taken vows of-“

“I didn’t say you had to make love to him,” admonished Elrond, “but you can love him.”

Erestor watched as Elrond left, blinking back the tears in his eyes. “I do love him,” he finally admitted to himself. “I do.”
My Savior by Zhie
Wasting little time when he finished writing the reports Elrond requested, Glorfindel did not even stop in his old room in the Last Homely House before going back to the cathedral that he truly felt was his home. His body and mind had not forgotten his sword or his technique, and he fought fiercely, but now, his desire was to return to the simple comforts of home - and of course, to Erestor.

He halted upon entering Nienna's Halls, wondering if he needed to ask her forgiveness for having left so abruptly. 'But then, I only did what was requested of me, not what I wanted to do.' Truth be told, he would have much preferred to have stayed shrouded in his dark robes and in the peaceful cathedral, rather than venture back out into the world he had left behind.

From the front of the room, kneeling at the altar, he saw Erestor with his head bowed in prayer. Glorfindel walked to him and knelt beside him. Bowing his head, he felt the comfort he had missed wash over him like a shower of tears from the lady herself. A light touch on his shoulder caused him to turn his head slightly while his hands remained clasped together and his thoughts contemplative in his silent meditation. "Welcome home," said Erestor. His usually solemn tones were replaced with something else - filled with relief, thought Glorfindel, but he accepted this as the relief of a friend.

"Thank you, Brother Erestor. It is good to be back," he answered before looking back to the statue and bowing his head once more.

“It is good to have you back. I missed you,” said Erestor before looking back to the great stone statue before them.

Glorfindel slid his gaze briefly to the side, and contemplated Erestor’s words. Surely, it was just the high priest’s usual concern, his nature to think such a thing. There could be no underlying meaning, Glorfindel scolded himself. He had been away too long and truly, it was his mind playing tricks. He cleared his thoughts once more and began to pray.


~*~*~*~*~


Dinner was normally a quiet affair, giving both priests time to reflect upon the day’s work. This evening was peculiar, as Glorfindel unexpectedly found that not only had Erestor already prepared the meal, but he had also chosen the things that Glorfindel often favored. Having never told Erestor what he liked and disliked, Glorfindel found this strange, but stranger yet was the request to be told about the events that had transpired during his absence. The blonde obliged, and carefully glanced up at his companion now and then, who spoke only to prompt further stories. Erestor barely touched his meal, his concentration seemingly upon Glorfindel.

“Is something the matter?” Glorfindel finally asked.

Erestor started, and blinked. “What? No. Nothing,” he replied as he quickly looked back to his plate.

“Are you sure?” questioned Glorfindel. “You seem on edge.”

“It’s... I’m just...” Erestor sighed and placed his utensils shakily down and looked at Glorfindel for what seemed a veritable eternity before taking a deep breath as one who was about to plunge into ice water would. Leaning across the small table where they had shared many meals over the many years before Glorfindel’s departure, Erestor placed one hand to Glorfindel's cheek, while the other was pressed flat against the table to balance himself. Dropping his fork in shock at what was about to happen, Glorfindel had no time to protest as Erestor's lips met his. For a few moments, all was forgotten. The halls, the vows, who they were and why they were here. All too soon did the kiss end, and Glorfindel swallowed hard and shook his head as Erestor let his other hand fall to the top of the table.

"No, you can't do this," Glorfindel said adamantly. "This is your life, and I see now it was so very wrong of me to come here under false pretenses. I'm so sorry," he apologized, standing up.

Erestor jumped to his feet. "No! Please don't leave," he begged, grabbing hold of Glorfindel's arm and sliding his fingers down to take hold of the other's hand. Glorfindel paused and turned in shock. "I knew why you came. I knew all along," admitted Erestor in a rush. He shivered a little to hear himself say the words, but pressed on, not wanting to lose what it had taken him so long for him to try to claim. "I was so lonely, and you came and made me feel whole. But I didn't want to break my vows, I felt I couldn't. Then, when you left- oh, Glorfindel," he sobbed. "if you would have asked me to then..."

Glorfindel studied Erestor for a moment, the dark haired priest covering his eyes with his free hand and crying more freely now. "You love everyone," he murmured softly, "and yet all you wanted was to be loved by someone. You thought she was the one." Glorfindel did not receive an answer, nor did he expect one. Erestor was still clutching his hand, and he pulled him closer and held him, whispering words of comfort, and words of love he had so long kept secret. "Come with me," he finally said as Erestor finished wiping his eyes.

"Where?" he asked fearfully.

"To talk to her," replied Glorfindel as they walked away from the rooms that they lived in and into the cathedral via the back passage that they used to get to the altar.

Erestor cowered against Glorfindel. "I don't think I want to right now. I have sinned, before I speak with her I should perform my penance."

"What?" Glorfindel stopped and placed his hands firmly on Erestor's shoulder's which only served to cause the other elf to cringe. "What did she do to you?"

"Nothing," came the voice of the lady, and she was there, the hood of her grey cloak drawn back from her face. "What he did he did to himself."

Glorfindel looked spitefully at his mistress, and then reached for Erestor's sleeve, pushing it up slowly. He began to see angry red marks on the pale skin. "Thoughts... I had... forbidden..."

Pulling Erestor's sleeve back into place, Glorfindel glared at Nienna. "I never told him to do that," she said quietly.

"But you made him think he should, apparently," Glorfindel snapped back.

Nienna’s tears fell freely, however, for the first time Glorfindel felt no relief, nor pity. His anger consumed his senses, the blood boiled in his veins.

His mind was racing. Ideas trampled over one another. He would have loved to have taken it all out on Nienna. She had after all established the rules, the chastity vows, whatever other things she might have mentioned to Erestor that made him think he should punish himself for having emotions, For loving, for loving him! His shoulders sagged when he realized that was the most painful of all the things he could ever have conjured up, his worst nightmare come true.

Mustering all the self control he could he tried to find something to hold on to, something that allowed him to see the better side of things. ‘We have helped so many; Erestor’s love and dedication has healed so many wounded souls.’ How he wanted to heal Erestor wounds, both physical and emotional.

When he got a grip on his emotions he spoke again, and his icy tone chilled Nienna. “None of the rules you gave him, that you gave us, were needed. Love, compassion, and healing cannot, should not, be restricted. If what I feel, what I have done were truly sinful, Eru himself would have made sure I was punished. We are his children as much as you are. Perhaps we do not have the gift to create with music, but we can certainly create with love. We might not be able to wash filth with our tears, but our tears do cleanse our souls. If we weep for others it also helps cleanse theirs.” Pausing to collect his thoughts, Glorfindel looked at Nienna’s pained face, and knowledge downed on him. “You are as lonely as we are. You feared to loose him, that is why you never told him penance was not needed, why you never said loving was acceptable.”

Erestor’s head snapped up and he too looked at his lady. She held his gaze, and her beautiful features begged for forgiveness. “You could have simply asked, I would have stayed… forever,” he muttered softly.

“Would you have loved me?” Niennas’s voice asked back in barely a whisper.

“This is where all your wisdom, all your knowledge and power have failed you, my Lady,” was the sad response Glorfindel gave. “He has loved you, I have loved you, all those who come here to worship you wish to have your love, the love of a benevolent mother. More important than that we all wished for your acceptance.”

As Glorfindel took Erestor’s arm to guide him out of the cathedral Nienna asked one last question. “Will you return?”

“Love, my Lady, is not fickle. Wounds heal, problems can be solved, changes made; true love remains,” Glorfindel said to Nienna, but he was looking into Erestor’s eyes as they walked out into the starlight.

~*~*~*~*~


“No questions,” warned Glorfindel in a low voice. “None of those frowning, forlorn faces you make, either.”

Elrond nodded solemnly. “It would be better if you told me, but I will respect his wishes, and yours. Should I call to have someone ready a guest room?”

“I don’t think he should be alone, not right now. Don’t worry,” assured Glorfindel as he walked barefooted back to the door, “technically, neither of us has done great harm to our vows. Nothing that can’t be fixed, at least.”

Elrond nodded and followed Glorfindel into the rooms that had been the quarters to his captain before his entry into the priesthood. Inside, he found the high priest, but he did not recognize him at first, wearing only a pair of leggings and sitting backwards on a chair, resting his head on his arms over the back of it. That wasn’t it, either. It was the pattern of stripes across the priest’s back that made Elrond bite his tongue lest he let out a gasp. Glorfindel gave him a pleading look, and Elrond set his healer’s case upon the bed as he bent down to examine his patient.

He had seen worse, though never anything quite like this. Yet, from the angles and the damage that was done, he could tell it was self-inflicted. Keeping true to his word and his professionalism, Elrond spoke nothing of the fading scars and bruises that marked Erestor’s shoulders, arms, and back as he meticulously cleaned the few open wounds that remained and applied a healing salve. As he wrapped thin gauze around the injured areas, Elrond talked with his patient about upcoming trade negotiations and water purification – anything that had nothing to do with Erestor’s work and the cathedral in the woods.

When he was finished, he bid both of them a good night and slipped quietly out the door. Erestor began to examine the room, looking from one spot to the next, taking in the art that hung on the walls, the tapestries that hid the windows. Ornately carved chests and comfortable looking chairs offset the small tables and divan. Most predominant in the room was the four-poster bed, a sheer canopy of blue draping down the sides. Glorfindel drew back the curtains of it to reveal a plethora of fluffy white linens and a downy ochre quilt. Erestor thankfully sunk down into the downy softness after Glorfindel carried him without a word from the chair to the bed.

~*~*~*~*~

Nienna had watched them leave, and moonlight showered the hall for a brief instant as they exited, and then she found herself surrounded by darkness again as the door closed behind them. The eerie silence and emptiness of the large building surrounded her like a thick cloak as she sank down to her knees.

Wrecking sobs accompanied her flowing tears. ‘Our tears cleanse our souls.’ Those had been his words, but she felt no amount of tears could cleanse her soul nor wash away her pain. ‘I was selfish, I was wrong, so very wrong! I should have talked to him, I should have told him to stop, I should have just loved him.’

“But I never intended for this to happen!” Her pained cry echoed in the halls, her own aggrieved voice repeating itself for her alone.

She sank further down and pressed her fevered cheek to the cold marble of the floor. “I am sorry, I am so sorry.” She repeated those words over and over as she curled into a tight ball and hugged her knees.

It was many hours later when she sensed a presence near her. Strong, gentle arms gathered her and she instinctively buried her face on his chest. He sat on the steps leading to the altar and cradled her in his arms, whispering soothing words as he rocked back and forth.

When the sobs subsided and the tears stopped flowing she felt his hand gently brushing her hair away from her face.

“I am sorry,” she whispered, finally meeting his eyes.

“It is alright to make mistakes, we learn from them.”

“Will you forgive me? Will you still love me?”

“A father always forgives his child, regardless of what you do, what you have done, what you could ever do. I am your father and I love you. The question my child is: can you love yourself? Can you learn from your mistakes and forgive yourself?”

“Ada, my mistakes have hurt others. I have hurt the one I loved the most. How can I forgive myself?”

“Nienna, listen to me, listen with your heart. I will say things that might sound harsh, but understand I do it because I love you, because it is my duty, my responsibility.”

Once she nodded her consent he continued. “For years, since I can remember, you have wept. For others, for what has happened, you have even wept for things yet to come. This has hurt you more than it has hurt anyone else. Sometimes we must accept the good and the bad. It is all an opportunity to grow, to learn, to accomplish things. Had Peace reigned eternally there would be no heroes, no great warriors, no tales to be told.

“Had you, your brothers, and sisters chosen to weep instead of sing, there would be no beauty to enjoy. Had I not chosen to have children, you would not be here and who would I hold and comfort? Who would I share my very existence with?”

“Do you realize, child, that at this very instant, I would not rather be anywhere in the world but holding my child and proving her she is loved and her mistakes can be mended?” A small smile curved her perfect lips as she realized her father’s love for her was immeasurable.

“What do I do now?” she asked, sounding much like a small child and not a powerful Vala.

“Now you come home with me, and when you are ready you may return.”

“What will I do then?”

“Love them, accept them as they are. Allow yourself to be loved, and most importantly, smile.”

~*~*~*~*~

“I feel so sinful in this bed,” admitted Erestor. Glorfindel raised a brow, expecting a further explanation. “It’s just too comfortable,” Erestor went on, snuggling against the fluffed up pillows and into the soft blankets that covered the mattress. “Never has anything surrounded me that felt this good,” he purred as he wrapped one of the blankets around himself.

Glorfindel kept himself in check, discarding all of the possible jests he could have made about what Erestor had just said. “I should warn you about something before you nod off,” Glorfindel finally said, sitting down on the edge of the bed. Erestor sat up slightly, loathe to remove himself completely from the comfort of the downy coverlet. “I was never a very sound sleeper, and please don’t laugh though I know you won’t, I have been known to somnambulate through the halls on more than one occasion and recall nothing of it in the morning.”

“I never recall you doing that,” answered Erestor.

Smiling, Glorfindel shrugged and said, “I suppose I slept more peacefully with you there, or perhaps I was too spoiled with such a sinful bed that I was so well rested I had the energy to walk the halls.”

Erestor considered this thoughtfully as he played with the fringed tassel that hung off of a throw pillow. “Then I suppose I shall have to hold you tightly,” he decided while blushing, “so that you do not wander off in your sleep.” He yawned, in part to cover his sudden embarrassment at making such a bold comment, and settled back onto the bed.

“Not if I hold you first,” teased Glorfindel, tugging on Erestor’s foot when he received no response. He glanced up to see that his guest had drifted into a state of reverie, arms gripping the pillow beneath his head. It was an endearing picture of nocturnal bliss, and not one which Glorfindel wished to disturb, but he too was tired from the vast changes the night had brought, and he carefully came to rest next to Erestor on the bed, covers left in their place for he, too, was too tired to turn the bed down. For a little while longer, he watched Erestor slumber, and for once, the other elf honestly seemed to be at peace. Glorfindel moved slightly to kiss Erestor’s forehead before stretching his arms above his head and closing his eyes.

~*~*~*~*~

It was late morning when Erestor finally opened his eyes. How long ago had he allowed himself to stay in bed late he could not even remember. The first thing he noticed was that he was alone in the large bed. Only the lingering warmth next to him and the shape left by Glorfindel’s head on the pillow was evidence that he in fact had slept there, something Erestor found comforting and at the same time shocking.

In a sudden impulse he picked up the pillow and pressed it to his face. Inhaling his scent made him feel less lonely. The door opened quietly, and when he released the pillow he found himself looking into the beautiful blue eyes he loved. A smile played on Glorfindel’s lips.

“Good morning.”

“Good morning,” the blond elf responded as he placed the breakfast tray on the night table. “Did you sleep well?”

“I feel rested, thank you,” Erestor said, looking at the food and blushing. In fact he had woken up several times throughout the night to make sure Glorfindel was still there and not wandering the halls in his sleep. Every time he found strong arms around him and Glorfindel’s sculpted chest under his cheek. His calm breathing had lulled him back to sleep and he did feel rested. Not only that, he felt safe and loved.

Earlier that morning Glorfindel had made the same discovery. He did not know nor did he care to find out how Erestor had ended up in his arms, he was content knowing he had. “I spent part of the morning with Lord Elrond,” he said as he waited for Erestor to sit up and helped him rearrange the pillows so he could have breakfast. “We have made arrangements for you to stay here for a while.”

“I can’t do that,” Erestor quickly said. “My parishioners need me, regardless of what has happened and what the Lady might think, I can not leave them alone.”

“I knew you would feel that way. That is why they have been informed you have taken ill and have been placed under quarantine.”

“Quarantine! But Glorfindel, elves rarely get sick, how could I be in quarantine?”

“If we told them you needed rest they would still come looking for you, and you must rest. You must heal before you can be the strength of others.”

“But I am not sick,” Erestor said ruefully.

Glorfindel shook his head. For a high priest, he still had lots to learn. “I will continue to help at the cathedral, you will stay here and decide what it is you wish to do. And before you even try to argue, let me say this is not optional.”

“I was not going to argue,” Erestor said, looking at his untouched food. “I was going to ask why you can’t stay here with me instead.”

"I am here," Glorfindel said, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I will always be here, with you."

"Why?" Erestor asked, still looking at his food.

"Because you are beautiful," Glorfindel said, observing his reaction. Erestor blushed and moved the food around his plate. "You are also kind and smart."

"I do not think I deserve those compliments," Erestor said, looking at him from the corner of his eye.

Gently removing the fork from his hand and lifting his chin, Glorfindel forced Erestor to look at him. "First of all you must understand I am here because I love you. I love you so much that it hurts here," he said, placing Erestor's hand above his heart. "Second, you must learn to accept a compliment. If I tell you ‘you are beautiful’ it is because I really believe it. I do not give empty compliments."

Erestor blinked twice. “I don’t know what to say.”

Glorfindel smiled. "Saying thank you is good enough."

"Thank you," Erestor whispered.

"You are welcome," Glorfindel said before kissing his lips softly. “Now, you need to eat to build your strength.” He picked up a slice of peach and held it up to Erestor’s mouth. “It will help you to recover from your ‘illness’ quickly,” he said with a wink.

“Not too quickly,” warned Erestor playfully before biting into the sweet fruit.

Grinning, Glorfindel popped the rest into his own mouth. “I think you’re finally starting to get it!” he chuckled. Erestor smiled shyly.

After eating a while longer, Glorfindel finally asked, “So... I didn’t... go walking around, did I?”

“What? Oh, in your sleep.” Erestor shook his head. “No. Not much.”

Glorfindel blinked. “Not much?”

“Just down the hallway...”

“Down the hallway?” Glorfindel paled.

“...around the corner...”

“Oh, no...”

“...into the kitchen...”

“Into the-“ Glorfindel gave Erestor an odd sort of look. “We’re not in the cathedral; here the kitchens are two floors down.”

Erestor smirked. “Well, that makes it even more spectacular.” He swiped another slice of peach from Glorfindel’s plate, having finished his own.
My Lover by Zhie
“Does she still sleep?”

“As she has for the past two weeks, no changes.”

“Ada, I worry about her.” Ulmo’s countenance spoke volumes, the words had hardly been needed.

“She will be all right, there is no need to worry ion nin. All she needs is to regain her strength, find the voice within her.”

Two more weeks would slowly trickle by before her gray eyes opened to the sunlight streaming in through the windows.

~*~*~*~

“He grows restless. Soon you will have to allow him back into the world. He needs to go back and face it.” Elrond’s voice had been grave; his back was still turned to Glorfindel as he looked out the window and into the green valley beyond.

“I realize,” Glorfindel said, looking at his friend and twirling the quill between his forefinger and thumb while sitting on a large chair with his feet propped on the desk, “once he decides he is ready to go back and face it all, we will leave.”

“Have you decided how you will handle your responsibilities to the parishioners? Will you renounce your position and start a new life with him?” Elrond asked, finally turning around to face him.

“’Tis not my decision to make.”

“Does he know what it is you wish?” Elrond asked, leaning on the desk and pushing Glorfindel’s feet to the side.

“To some extent,” Glorfindel replied after thinking for a few seconds.

Observing the battle hardened warrior and raising an eyebrow Elrond commented, “You surprise me, mellon, it is unlike you.”

Glorfindel laughed wholeheartedly. “Do you fear I am not being bold and audacious? Daring and brave?”

“In reality,” Elrond replied, looking into the steel blue eyes, “it might seem you are being overprotective of him and considerate. I however think you are shielding yourself from heartbreak.”

Getting up and setting the quill on the desk, Glorfindel pondered the words as he walked to the window. “Would he choose to return and keep his vows my heart would still belong to him.” His gaze was fixed on the distant waterfall. ‘Exactly as time, forever flowing and beyond our control.’ “All will work out, in due time,” he said out loud to Elrond as he turned to leave the room.

As he was about to open the door, Elrond asked one last question that stopped him dead in his tracks. “Has nothing really happened between the two of you?”

Glancing over his shoulder as he opened the door Glorfindel looked at him sadly. “He is still my brother.”

As the door closed with a soft click, Elrond wondered what he had meant.

~*~*~*~

Rubbing her eyes and stretching on the comfortable bed Nienna, smiled for the first time in too long. It took her a day to make all the arrangements and be ready to leave.

~*~*~*~

Erestor was strolling the garden in the early afternoon. He knew Glorfindel was with Lord Elrond and he had taken advantage of the opportunity to get some fresh air. He hoped that it would also help clear his mind, and or at least help make sense of the situation.

It had nearly been a month, an entire month in which he had rested, eaten, and in general been spoiled and pampered by Glorfindel. They shared his room at the Last Homely House, they shared his bed, and yet nothing beyond the comfort of his arms around him at night or a few kisses had taken place. It had been several days now when he found himself watching the tall blonde warrior as he slept.

He was restless. He was needy. He was in love.

Every time Glorfindel walked into the room, Erestor felt the sun had come out, and when he spoke it sounded like music to his ears. His lips tortured him and left him wanting for more, and there was an ache in a void in him he was sure only the other could fill. Alas, he was too timorous to make a bold move, and Glorfindel he knew was giving him time to make a decision.

‘If only I could tell him. If only I did not hesitate when I remember my responsibilities to those who need my care.’

He bent down to pick a small pebble that was on the path when he heard a melodious voice coming from around the bend on the road. For the first time he paid attention to his surroundings and noticed his wandering had led him back to the Cathedral. He was certain Glorfindel had said no one was there, yet the song persisted, melodious notes as he had never heard before reaching his ears.

As if in a trance he walked until he found himself standing before the large carved doors. They were wide open and he was certain whoever was singing was within the halls he knew so well. For an instant he hesitated before entering. A shiver ran down his back as the memories of his last day there returned in full force, yet he was unable to stop himself as if by their own volition his feet took the steps one at a time.

The sight before him was one he had never expected to see. The radiant being standing in he middle of the hall could not be who he knew it was. She was clad in white, a silver trimming adorning her gown, and her long black hair fell unbound in soft curls that almost reached the floor.
.
More shocking than her appearance was the song coming from her lips, the smile that graced her features as she saw him. With every note she sang, every word, the hall would turn brighter. It seemed the sun that was slowly hiding behind the distant hills was reemerging right there.

Erestor clasped his hands and bowed his head in prayer.


~*~*~*~


Glorfindel returned to his chamber. With a heavy sigh he opened the door and hid his feelings behind a smile, a smile that lasted just the second it took him to realize Erestor was not there. He frantically searched the bathing chamber and then raced to the library, the only other room the high priest had visited in the month he had been there.

Worry etched his handsome features as he left the building; he knew there was only one other place where Erestor would go. Strong legs ate the distance as his heart beat wildly in his chest. ‘I waited too long, I should have told him sooner, I should have loved him, made sure he knew how much I desired him.’

It was the music that made him stop. Gasping for breath he observed the bright golden light coming from the windows, bathing the steps that led to the entrance, making the vines that covered the walls seem a perfect and delicate golden ornament.

Willing his heart to slow down and with careful steps he reached the threshold. Nienna was standing at the bottom step of the altar and facing the entrance. Her eyes were closed, her features relaxed and more beautiful than ever, her singing ethereal.

To her right and a step below stood Erestor. Gone were the dark robes, for he now wore a beautiful white tunic with silver embroidery. A delicate circlet adorned his brow, and raven black leggings and knee high boots completed his outfit. He did not fail to notice how the colors favored him and how he had never seemed more beautiful.

Glorfindel stood transfixed as the changes in the temple happened before his very eyes. It was, however, as the final notes hung in the air that he understood the magnitude of the change.

Nienna opened her eyes just as Erestor turned to look at him, and both smiled. The Lady opened her arms in a welcoming gesture. Squaring his shoulders, Glorfindel walked down the aisle until he stood before her, and with a slight bow of his head he greeted her.

“My Lady.”

“I owe you an apology…” she started to say.

“No, you do not,” he said simply as he reached for her hand and kissed the back of it.

“Thank you,” she said sincerely. Then with a smile, Nienna turned to look at Erestor.

“Shall we proceed then?”

The dark haired elf looked at her and nodded, then turned to look at the proud elf standing by his side. Glorfindel’s penetrating gaze made him blush, but he was determined to carry on. Reaching for Glorfindel’s left hand he removed the golden ring with the fiery ruby from his finger, then his own and handed them to Nienna.

“It was unjustified and unnecessary to demand of you what goes against the very nature of my father’s children. It is love that binds us all,” Nienna said solemnly, both rings still on her open hand.

“I can not claim to come here today to gift you with what you already have, for bonded souls you have always been, meant for one another. Instead if you will allow me, I will present you with a small gift.” Her left hand covered her right for a second, and when she held her hands out to them in each one there was a band of gold and mithril, the metals intertwined in a perfect circle.

“My greatest lesson came from you, my children, my priests,” Nienna said handing one ring to each of them. “I also bring my father’s blessing. Mine you do not need, for you have always had it and always will,” she whispered.

Erestor took a step forward. Taking Glorfindels’s right hand he placed the ring on his finger. Gently lifting his chin, Glorfindel looked into his eyes as his hand sought Erestor’s. Raising it to meet his lips, he placed a soft kiss on his open palm, and then slid the golden and silver band upon his finger.

As both of them turned to look at the lady to thank her, they noticed she had left. Behind the altar her statue stood proud, arms open in a welcoming embrace, a smile parting her lips, and she no longer wept.

~*~*~*~

A full moon was barely showing on the horizon as they stepped out of the Cathedral. Hand in hand they walked silently through the gardens as the silvery beams started bathing all with its magical light.

It wasn’t until they reached the secluded pond where they once bathed every morning that they stopped. Erestor stuck one bare toe into the chilly water, wiggling his foot a little. “I never knew until today that song carried so beautifully through the main chamber of the halls,” he said, watching the ripples in the water.

“There is a young minstrel in Elrond’s house. Perhaps we could ask him to play before or after the sermons,” suggested Glorfindel, his left hand still holding Erestor’s right. The other elf nodded. “Maybe he could even write a few songs for Nienna.”

“Maybe I could,” mused Erestor.

Glorfindel nodded. “I think that would be perfect. Have you written any songs before?” he asked, his own feet edging toward the water as Erestor nodded back. “Anything I would know?”

Shaking his head and turning away slightly, Erestor blushed. “No, nothing you would know,” he mumbled. Glorfindel gently pulled the darker elf back to him, embracing him loosely and kissing him tenderly on the lips.

“I would love to hear your voice raised in song,” he whispered in the still night, sincerity shining in his eyes. “Please, Erestor, sing for me.”

Unsure of whether Erestor would comply or not, Glorfindel smiled and relaxed as Erestor softly began to sing in deep, liquid tones:


“Where you go, I will follow;

Lead me down, the path you choose.

By your side, in all your glory;

I promise now and forever,

To worship you.”


It took Glorfindel a moment to catch his breath. “That was beautiful,” he finally said. “She is most worthy of such a fine song.”

For a moment, Erestor looked confused at Glorfindel’s words, and then a little panicked. Finally, he said, “It isn’t for her. I wrote it for you.”

No words came to Glorfindel as he listened to Erestor’s voice once more, singing now the second part of the song:


“You were my friend, You knew my soul,

My brother, how could I refuse?

But now I know, all of the story

I want us to be together,

To worship you.”


Glorfindel was speechless. He wanted to say so much, yet no words seemed appropriate to express the overwhelming emotions he felt. If it hadn’t been for his eyes, those beautiful blue eyes looking at him adoringly, Erestor would have worried he had not liked the song.

Both of them were completely caught in the moment. Mesmerized, nothing could enter their private world as their souls reached out to one another. Slowly lifting a hand Glorfindel grasped a stray strand of hair and brushed it away from Erestor’s face, burying his hand in the silky strands he pulled Erestor towards him.

“It was here I saw you undress for the first time. It was a sin then to feel what I felt,” he whispered against his companion’s lips.

Erestor lowered his eyes with a sigh. “It is a sin no more.”

“Will you allow me to watch you undress then?” Glorfindel asked, lifting his chin so their eyes could meet.

Blushing, Erestor took a step back and slowly, one at a time, undid the buttons on his tunic. He then let it slip off his shoulders and onto the soft grass. His undertunic soon followed. The pale skin seemed resplendent under the silvery moonlight. Glorfindel’s breath hitched as he watched Erestor unlace his leggings.

Erestor bent down to pull his legs out of the garment, his dark hair forming a curtain around him. Glorfindel’s heart beat faster with anticipation. He could feel his arousal straining to be freed even before Erestor stood up straight, tall and proud, his dark eyes fixed on him.

Taking a few steps so he was only inches from Glorfindel, he reached for the front of the warrior’s tunic. “Allow me,” he said in a husky voice before he started undoing the buttons.

His long beautiful fingers caressed Glorfindel while he removed his clothing. First his shoulders as he took care of the tunic, then lightly they traced a path from his collar bone to his leggings, sending shivers running down the Balrog Slayer’s body.

Deliberately taking his time he undid the lacings, Glorfindel held his breath when the cool breeze reached his fevered skin. For an instant Erestor paused to look at him, then slid the leggings down strong muscular legs, his finger pads caressing him. Kneeling down he looked up at the blond elf’s eyes for the first time since he had started undressing him, and a smile curved his lips. His head was inches from Glorfindel’s proud elfhood as he waited for him to lift his legs, finally tossing the last piece of clothing onto the pile next to him.

Glorfindel could take no more. When Erestor stood up he wrapped an arm around his waist and brought him closer to him. He could feel the heat radiating from his lover’s body. ‘My lover,’ he thought possessively as their lips met in a hungry kiss, their erections rubbing together.

“Come with me,” whispered Erestor as they gasped for air, fearing his courage would leave him if he gave any true thought to the situation. Everything in his life had been slow and planned, all things taken under careful consideration. Everything- up until now. He took a firm hold of Glorfindel’s arms just above the wrists and walked slowly and purposefully back into the water, ignoring the bite of the icy pond.

They came waist deep when Glorfindel froze, not allowing himself to be moved further. Once more he drew Erestor against his body, breathing deeply of his lover’s scent. What little wind there was provided a gentle rustle of leaves and only a trace of a ripple along the water’s surface and the night sky was clear, but neither saw nor heard anything but the other. Soon they were exploring with timid touches and restrained caresses, until Erestor’s eyes met Glorfindel’s and in his deep, melodic voice asked, “Will you make love to me this night?”

“If that is what you ask of me, I will, for it is what I desire,” answered the golden-haired elf. “To be bound with you, body and soul.”

“Then I ask it of you,” replied Erestor. “I implore it of you.”

“How could anyone deny such a request from one so beautiful and pure as you,” murmured Glorfindel, and words were no longer spoken as the pair renewed their exploration, more eager and less inhibited now, the sounds of their gasps and cries piercing the calm of the night.

Somehow one of them persuaded the other to move to shallower waters, and they fell to their knees, lust still guiding their hands and mouths, their bodies trying desperately to stay in contact as they continued. Less wanting and more needy were the sounds that came from their lips, the crystal water lapping more furiously against the nearby shore as they grunted and moaned, stroked and grabbed, nipped and teased and felt and loved.

“Not here,” gasped Glorfindel as he noted Erestor’s eyes seeking some spot for them to consummate their love for one another. He held onto Erestor’s arm as he ducked his body beneath the water, washing the sweat from his skin. Emerging, he shook his head and then wrung his hair as Erestor did the same, bobbing under the water momentarily before popping back up and smoothing his soaked hair back.

“Then where?” whispered Erestor. “Not the cathedral,” he warned in a panicked voice.

Glorfindel pulled him close and wrapped his arms around Erestor, embracing him tightly and kissing his neck and jaw. “Not there,” he promised softly into Erestor’s ear. “I wouldn’t do that, brother,” he said, and he felt his companion shiver at the words. “We shared a bed in friendship, in the house of Elrond. Share it with me again tonight,” he said, and smiled as Erestor nodded his head against him. “I will love you, Erestor, and cherish you for all the time that is to come, and my dearest, above all, I shall worship you as you have always deserved.”

The words played over again and again in both their minds as they left the water, dressed, and walked swiftly to the Last Homely House.

~*~*~*~

“I’m so very, very nervous,” admitted the elf that paced the study.

“Glorfindel, if he said it was alright, then why are you still here?” questioned Elrond.

Sighing, Glorfindel fidgeted with the new ring on his finger. “It just happened so fast. It happened just as I had hoped, but so, so fast,” he said, shaking a little. Sitting down on the window seat, he asked, “What if I do something wrong? What if I hurt him? I don’t want to see him hurt, not again, not ever again.”

“Glorfindel!” Elrond shook his head and sat down next to his friend. “Glorfindel, first, relax, or you won’t have to worry about him because you’ll have hurt yourself first. Second, why not allow him to lead?”

“Let him lead?” asked the blonde elf, breathing a little easier.

Elrond nodded. “He’s been the one leading so far, no need to stop now. You followed him around day after day, in friendship, through oaths, over many a year more than I can count! I’d go back before he begins to worry if you’ve changed your mind,” advised Elrond, handing Glorfindel the vial he had come to ask him for. “And breathe, Glorfindel!” he scolded. “The last thing he needs is for you to hyperventilate mid-coitus!”

The walk back to his room was short and uneventful, and gathering his courage, Glorfindel opened the door to his suite. He gasped softly at the change in the main room.

Candles had been lit, and the curtains of the canopy pulled back just along the side facing the door. Something that smelled of wild berries wafted through the air, a warm and inviting fragrance that he realized came from the candles. Their glow lit the room just enough for him to make out the nude figure that was lazily propped on his side, staring at him through half-lidded eyes. Erestor held out one hand and Glorfindel approached him immediately. Seizing Erestor’s arm, Glorfindel began to kiss along the pale skin, inching his way from wrist to shoulder, and back down again as he climbed upon the bed to join his lover.

Brushing his cheek against Erestor’s neck, kissing his throat, Glorfindel then tugged on Erestor’s ear with his teeth. “I changed my mind,” he said in a low voice.

Drawing back, Erestor’s eyes were wide and a frown marred his face. Before he could ask why, he felt something being slipped into his palm. He looked down to see a small glass tube with a cork, and within a clear fluid. Understanding washed over him.

“If you wouldn’t mind... I’d enjoy it if you were the one who made love to me this night,” continued Glorfindel.

Smiling as he tucked the vial beneath the pillow, Erestor cupped Glorfindel’s chin in his hands. “With pleasure,” he answered, and brought their lips together.

Breaking the kiss, Erestor helped Glorfindel to remove his clothes; once they were skin to skin he ran his hand through the golden tresses as he kissed his lips once more. “Have I told you I love you?” he asked.

“No,” Glorfindel said as he gripped the sheets when Erestor kissed his neck.

“I love you,” Erestor said as he nipped Glorfindel’s skin. “Have I told you how much I desire you?” he asked, trailing kisses down his lover’s chest and stopping at his nipple.

“No,” came the husky reply.

Sucking on his nipple and then blowing softly Erestor said, “ I desire you.” Moving further down as he continued to kiss Glorfindel and caress him he asked again, “Have I told you what I want to do to you?”

“NO!” Glorfindel nearly yelled as Erestor’s lips caressed the engorged head of his elfhood.

“Then I will show you,” Erestor replied as he licked the moist tip. His tongue swirled around it; looking up at Glorfindel with passion-glazed eyes he licked his lips, enjoying the salty taste of his lover’s precum. His hand reached between Glorfindel’s legs and caressed the soft sac as he took him into his mouth. Loud moans came from the warrior that was now completely at his mercy. Glorfindel’s hands continued to grip the sheets as Erestor took him deeper and deeper into his throat.

He could also feel his own desire, the blood pounding at his temples as he concentrated on pleasing Glorfindel, his hardened shaft rubbing against the silky sheets.

“Saes!” Glorfindel said between moans, “I cannot take much more of this.”

Erestor’s mouth released him as he looked up, but his hand kept the pace he had set. With a wicked grin he looked at him. “Oh, but I want to see you come undone.”

His breath hitched, barely able to speak, Glorfindel whispered, “With you… I want to… ahhh….” He was unable to continue as Erestor increased the tempo and at the same time licked his fingers and then caressed himself. “….I want to… come undone…. with you.”

“Relax,” Erestor whispered in his ear as he reached for the small vial that was under the pillow.

Kneeling between the blonde elf’s legs he uncorked the vial with his mouth and poured a generous amount of the scented oil onto his hand. He allowed it to slowly drip down his shaft as Glorfindel sat up and observed.

“Allow me,” Glorfindel said, taking his lover’s erection in his hand and rubbing the oil on him. Erestor’s moans were music to his ears, and once he was coated in oil he kissed him passionately and turned around so that he was on his hands and knees in front of him.

Pouring the remaining oil on Glorfindel, Erestor caressed his opening, probing gently with one finger. When he heard him moan encouragingly he inserted another.

“Now,” Glorfindel said as he pushed back against him, “I want you now!”

It was a request Erestor would not deny, posing himself at the entrance he prayed he would not hurt him. Hesitating for a second proved to be too long as Glorfindel pushed back towards him, taking all of Erestor’s length within him. The dark elf felt the warmth envelop him, the tight muscles adjusting around him. Slowly at first and a bit awkwardly they found a rhythm that worked for both, and soon passionate cries filled the room. Their moist skin gleamed in the candlelight as they gasped for breath. Glorfindel started to contract around him, and this proved to be too much for Erestor. He released his seed into his lover just as Glorfindel cried his name and joined him.

It took several minutes for their heartbeats to return to normal as they lay in bed together. Glorfindel embraced Erestor and kissed his lips softly before they both slipped into peaceful sleep.

~*~*~*~

At the altar, Erestor held the pitcher into the air and said a blessing, to which everyone responded with the customary ‘Namar’. He carefully poured from the pitcher into the large goblet Glorfindel held in his hands. When the cup was near full, Glorfindel bowed his head, then walked to one side of the altar as Erestor emptied the remainder of the contents into a second goblet, completing the act of transubstantiation.

At one side of the altar, Glorfindel held out the cup as Elrond came to stand before him. Gone from the front was the fence and gate that separated the parishioners from the priests. Gone, also, were the somber robes, the dim lighting, and dark colors. The light streamed in through the windows and glazed the floor with a bright yellow gleam, and on the walls scenes of life in Valinor had been painted. Good scenes, happy scenes, scenes to be remembered. In a corner, the young minstrel, Lindir, strummed a harp in meditative tones as the two lines shuffled up to the front, for some things never change.

“May the tears of Nienna cleanse your soul,” spoke Glorfindel as the cup was passed to Elrond, who sipped from it before handing it back and moving silently back to his spot on one of the benches. Once the lines had dispersed back, the final song sung and the final prayer said, the congregation filtered out through the doors, followed by Lindir as the priests set about collecting the hymn books from the benches and tidying the altar. The new priest was arriving and Erestor wanted everything tidy. Not a replacement, they reminded themselves, but another to serve in Nienna’s halls.

With the Last Homely House so close, it was decided that the pair would live there most of the time. Though the small room was kept at the cathedral, it was more a place to relax and the two meager cots had been replaced with a more comfortable bed, though one that was used only for taking rest. Erestor had gained a seat on Elrond’s council, and a new title of ‘Chief Advisor’, though it was not uncommon for those in Imladris to continue to address him in the familiar ‘Adar Erestor’ that they had become used to when one would find him in at the altar rather than in the Rivendell Library.

Glorfindel served as security advisor, and took time to patrol now and again, yet never quite regained his former position. His new office of Seneschal gave him little time for such gallivanting on border patrols. It was also determined that his husband would not have been overly fond of such excursions, either.

In the evenings, on weekends, and any time they felt there was a need, the pair would hold prayer meetings, meet with parishioners at the cathedral, and held the customary worship gathering with the congregation once a week. Even so, there was a rising need for someone more permanent within the halls. The answer came from the past and from the South.

~*~*~*~

“My father thinks you spoil him with the accommodations,” Rendiriel said as she walked between the two priests in the garden. “For years upon years he has lived in the barest of flets, sleeping on a hard pallet and eating naught but lembas. Truly, I am thankful not to have to worry quite so much about his well-being!”

“He spoils us,” chuckled Glorfindel. “To devote eight months of the year is a tithe few would make.”

Rendiriel smiled. “He has been ever grateful to you, to both of you, and to Nienna. He feared the void, the darkness, the nightmares that haunted him. His visit brought peace, and often he speaks of it. There were often times he mused over this idea, I am glad that Lord Elrond spoke to Lady Galadriel and that she knew of Ada’s thoughts, however it is that she did.”

The trio approached the back entry of the cathedral where an elf sat in meditation on the stoop. His eyes were shut and his lips moved in prayer, and none of the three disturbed him until he audibly uttered ‘Namar’ and placed his hand to his heart. Standing and stretching his long limbs, Haldir smiled and looked skyward. “There is such comfort in this place, such peace in my heart,” he said. “I wish I did not need return to Lothlorien for the winters, but my oath to Lady Galadriel I took long ago, and my family still lives there and I would worry for them during that time.”

“Even one season spent here would be a great blessing for us,” spoke Erestor. “Our duties in Imladris are ever-growing. Still, we shall help you when we can, and we are just up the path in case you ever tire and need rest.”

Breathing deeply of the spring air, Haldir smiled. “I am invigorated by this place. I doubt I will have such need, though I thank you for your offer,” he replied.

“No doubt,” laughed his daughter. “I would think being free from that warden’s uniform would invigorate anyone!”

Haldir grinned as he adjusted the open green-grey sleeveless robe that he wore over loose tan pants and a simple white shirt. “I thought I would miss my boots, but I feel greater comfort thusly.”

“For that is how you were meant to be,” answered Erestor. “It is not in the nature of the elf to be restricted by hard-soled boots that keep his feet from the earth, nor by armor and shield that direct the rays of the sun that should shine upon him away.”

~*~*~*~

“Do you think he’ll be alright?”

Erestor chuckled and patted the empty side of the bed. “He will be fine,” he assured his lover. “He’s not afraid of the dark, he’s dealt with things that go bump in the night, the bed is infinitely better than a wooden pallet, and he doesn’t walk in his sleep,” winked the dark-haired elf.

Heaving a slightly playful sigh, Glorfindel dropped the curtain, shadowing the room in darkness. “Good thing you keep track of me so that I don’t wander the halls.”

“Well, I can’t be entirely sure,” replied Erestor. “Some nights I sleep so soundly, I really don’t know if you’ve roamed or not.” A wicked look crossed his face. “Maybe I should tie you down before bed to be sure I don’t lose you in the night.”

Grinning back, Glorfindel shook his head. “Who knew you had such thoughts, Erestor,” he admonished.

“Just you,” winked his lover.

“Oh, the scandal! I should make it public,” he announced as he crawled into bed.

“I should think not!” Erestor pouted, turning away from him with his arms crossed over his chest. Glorfindel laughed wholeheartedly and pulled Erestor back around to face him, their legs and arms entwining comfortably.

“Mmm, my love, I would do no such thing. You are dear to me and know it,” he added, kissing Erestor’s pouting lips into a smile. “Now, put out the candle, beautiful one, for I wish to hold you… to love you…” he murmured between kisses and caresses. “To worship you…”
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=41