Once Bitten by Zhie
Summary: Ellonur tells Bainith how the merrevail came to be.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Third Age Characters: Bainith, Ellonur
Awards: None
Challenge: B2MEM 2012
Genre: Romantic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 778 Read: 1972 Published: March 02 2014 Updated: March 02 2014
Story Notes:
B2MeM Challenge:O72; N43
Weather: Thundersnow
Horror: Thuringwethil and other Vampires
Diners' Club: Cake

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
After an afternoon spent cleansing Angmar of some of the less than desirable creatures left both Ellonur and Bainith thankful for the small camp on the outskirts. They were greeted by the others there and introduced themselves, then offered to keep the first watch while they ate and tended to their horses and armor.

“So, what sort of thing were those screeching women in the caves?” asked Bainith. He was referring to the merrevail, the winged demons with clawed feet and hands.

Ellonur opened his pack and brought out a loaf of honey cake and a jar of jam, and set to fixing them a small meal of it. “Descendants of Thuringwethil and Sauron, according to my grandmother. In some histories, the vampire woman was listed only as his messenger, while in others she was said to be mated to him. The result, allegedly, were the merrevail.”

“It was impressive how you were able to bring both lightning and ice at the same time. I have enough trouble sometimes just controlling fire.”

“Ah, yes. I find thundersnow to be most effective against them. It keeps them from being able to leap about or attempt to fly, and if I am lucky, it might stun them, too. Your fire proved to be effective as well.” Ellonur held out a portion of the cake to Bainith.

Bainith took the slice of cake that was handed to him and pulled off morsels to nibble upon. After a little difficulty, he finally pulled off his heavy iron and leather gauntlets. Ellonur had insisted upon as much protection as possible. “You said to watch for their teeth. Not the claws?”

“Well, watch for the claws, too,” advised Ellonur as he at his own food. “I have seen them rip open the stomach of an ox with those talons.”

Bainith shuddered. “I can imagine.”

“You need to watch for the teeth because their bite is deadly,” Ellonur explained. “Have you never heard stories of vampires?”

“Not really,” admitted Bainith.

“Blood-sucking undead fiends who prey upon the innocent?”

Again, Bainith shook his head, but looked intrigued.

“In order to keep alive, they drink blood. They prefer the blood of people, but they will choose cattle or rodents or whatever they can get if they must.”

“But if they bit, could they not be subdued?”

Ellonur tilted his head. “They… they are said to be seductresses. By the time they bite you, it is too late – and being bitten means becoming one of them.”

Bainith’s eyes widened. “With claws and wings?”

“Uh.. well, no.. not exactly. But the bloodlust is there, the need to stay in darkness—“

“Wait… there was a woman…” Bainith bit his lip. “We had a kinsman once… she refused to leave in the daylight. She was cold all the time, and refused food, but always she was trying to get someone to stay alone with her in the kinhouse. I recall arriving there once and I began to pull back the curtains to let the sunlight in, and she practically attacked me. Made me draw the curtains again, and tried to get me to stay with her for the day – but she had upset me about the windows, so I left.”

It was Ellonur’s turn to look horrified. “Oh, sweetness! It is certainly good you never did, or else we would not be having this conversation.” He reached out and touched Bainith’s cheek. “It would be a shame to have you hide in shadow – you are such a child of sunlight.”

Bainith blushed slightly at the show of affection. “Well, y-yes, I think I would have missed the sunlight terribly. Not to mention, drinking blood seems like an unpleasant thing.”

“Ah, but the act is so sensual.. doubtful there is much time to dwell upon the taste.” Ellonur looked around to be sure the others were still asleep, then moved beside Bainith. “I told you… they seduce when they want fresh blood, they do not simply kill…” Ellonur leaned in closer, nuzzling Bainith’s neck, watching him swallow, seeing the indication of where the racing of his heart was causing just the slightest pulse at his throat.

He slid a finger down Bainith’s skin, tracing the hidden vein. Bainith groaned softly and closed his eyes. “And when they are ready to strike.. they do it without warning.” He lunged forward and bit at Bainith’s neck, his teeth firm, but not breaking the skin. With a shudder, Bainith grabbed for Ellonur’s arm, holding it tightly with a gasp. A moment later Ellonur licked the mark he had made. “I think I like my mark on you better.”
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=411