Root of the Matter, The by Zhie
Summary: A dinner drinking game.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > Third Age Characters: Bainith, Eledu, Ellonur, Erestor, Glorfindel, Gwyndir
Awards: None
Challenge: B2MEM 2012
Genre: Comedic
Special Collection: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 490 Read: 1992 Published: March 02 2014 Updated: March 02 2014
Story Notes:
B2MeM Challenge:O72
Occupations: Cook
Games People Play: Drinking

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
“I have an amazing idea for this evening,” said Eledu as he walked around the table, playing host and filling wine glasses. “A bit of a drinking game.”

“Drinking game.. seems the advantage would go to you and Erestor,” remarked Glorfindel. His glass was filled with a crisp white vintage, while the others were poured an ample amount of a deep red wine with a sweet flavor.

Eledu shook his head. “Just a little fun with food.” He poured wine into the goblets at two empty places, then sat down himself at one of them. “When Gwyndir brings the food in.. drink once for rooted vegetable but twice for potatoes, and thrice if the dish has been questionably named.”

“Questionably named?” Ellonur smirked. “I can make anything sound questionable.” He winked at Eledu.

Eledu shushed them all as Gwyndir emerged from the kitchen. The cook blushed, but would had denied it and blamed it on the steam had anyone questioned it. He was terribly shy, even among friends. Eledu offered his husband a warm smile, and Gwyndir returned it, then set the large bowl down at the center of the table.

“Smells good,” said Glorfindel slowly. “Wonder what the ingredients are.”

“Oh, well, uh, I can get the recipe for you,” offered Gwyndir, but Eledu took hold of his wrist and pulled him to sit down. Bainith passed a basket of bread around to the others.

“You could just tell us, love,” said Eledu, his other hand reaching out to grab his glass of wine.

“Oh… well, uh, I used leeks,” said Gwyndir.

Ellonur took a sip of his wine, and Glorfindel shook his head. “Not a root.”

“Oh! Sorry,” grinned Ellonur, but he hardly looked it.

“What?” Gwyndir looked around in confusion.

Eledu slid his hand up Gwyndir’s arm and rubbed the back of his neck. “Go on. What else?”

“Uh… carrots?” Gwyndir flinched as everyone at the table lifted their glasses and simultaneously drank. “Oh! Uh..” Gwyndir blinked and picked up his goblet, sipping from it. “Oh, this is a good year, Ru,” he said to Eledu.

“Mmm, carrots. I just love carrots. This could only be made better if there were other root vegetables available.” Glorfindel grinned, and then softly yelped. Erestor smiled, smoothing out his robes and pretending not to have kicked Glorfindel.
“Well, I… I did put in some potatoes for the stock.” Gwyndir looked shocked to see the others all take two simultaneous drinks from their goblets.

Ellonur grinned. “We are all so thirsty to try your soup, we needed to sate our hunger!” Bainith giggled behind his hand, and Gwyndir just blinked. “Sorry… but honestly, it smells so good… what is it?”

Gwyndir’s cheeks flushed again with everyone watching him. “Uh… I… just the usual…”

“The usual what, darling?” prodded Eledu.

“…the usual Cock-a-Leekie soup?”

There was a slight pause, then all the others grinned and gulped down their remaining wine.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=415