Snips and Sails by Zhie
Summary: Some little boys never grow up.
Categories: Stories of Arda > Bunniverse (PPB-AU) > First Age Characters: Cirdan, Earendil, Gil-Galad
Awards: None
Challenge: None
Genre: Comedic
Special Collection: Elfling Chronicles
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1096 Read: 3056 Published: September 08 2007 Updated: September 08 2007

1. Complete by Zhie

Complete by Zhie
Ever since Cirdan taught him how to make toy boats from driftwood, little Earendil had been much more interested in sailing his creations across the tide pools of the Balarin shores than keeping up with his studies. This meant that more than once a week Ereinion would go directly to the beach and scan for signs of the youngling until he managed to follow the small footprints to the best spot for sailing.

Earendil was a clever lad, and each time he was caught would pretend it had been the first. With Cirdan it took little more than a grin for him to be forgiven, for the sailor was delighted to share his love of the sea with the little one. Ereinion was not so easily convinced.

“Do you know where you are supposed to be right now, Earendil?”

The little boy pretended to be startled. “Good morning, your highness.” Ereinion was offered a big smile before another little boat was launched. The paper sails caught the wind and scooted across to the other side.

“Good morning, but that was not an answer to my question.” Ereinion stooped down to pick up the toy ship as it hit the sand on the other side and began to tip over. “You know you are supposed to sail your boats after you have completed the lessons for the day.”

“Master Cirdan says that there are a lot of practical things you learn from sailing. Weather, wind and water currents, geography, and mathematics, to name a few.”

“I know,” agreed Ereinion. “But you are forgetting something you must learn in the classroom before you can learn the rest of the things you wish. You reading lesson is soon to start and you should not miss it. One day behind soon turns into another, and before you know it the younger children will be reading and writing better than you. If you want to be the captain of your own ship some day, you need to apply yourself now.”

Earendil pouted as he halfheartedly pushed another boat out into the shallow water. “Sailing is more fun than writing.”

“Spell the word sailing for me.”

“Uhm...” Earendil looked across the pool where Ereinion pulled the second little boat from the water. He had only one left, and knew that as soon as it was launched, it would only be a few moments before Ereinion would have that one as well. “I forgot,” he admitted.

“And that is why you need to spend more time with your studies.”

“Maybe I can be a sailor without knowing how to read or write,” Earendil said hopefully.

“How will you sign your name if you do not know the letters you use to spell it? How will you read the maps if the words do not make sense? Even the compass has letters on it; you will have a difficult time finding your way if you cannot read them.”

With a heavy sigh, Earendil nodded, defeated, and placed the last boat on the surface of the water. A gentle burst of wind carried it straight across to the other side where Ereinion picked it up, shook it off, and added it to the collection.

Ereinion was not one for promises and oaths, having learned enough about their evils from the history of his own family, but he made this offer to Earendil: “If you work really hard today, and if you can tell me by the end of the day how to spell ‘sailing’ for me, I will find someone to carve a bigger toy boat for you with a string on the front that you can take into the sea and sail in the waves. Would you like that?”

“Would I? Would I ever!” Earendil, excited about the prospect of a new ship for his fleet, sprinted back toward the little houses nearby, heading for the school room he had been assigned to.

Once Earendil was lost amid the busy streets and buildings, Ereinion looked down at the toy boats in his arms. As usual, he would take them to Cirdan for safekeeping until Earendil’s lessons for the day were done. A brief glance around confirmed that no one was nearby, and Ereinion walked to the spot that Earendil had been.

“I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you.”

Ereinion flinched, having been startled by the voice behind him. “I- I came out here looking for Earendil this morning. He was playing with his ships, as usual.”

Cirdan looked about with a frown. “So late? Where is he?”

“In his class, I hope.” Ereinion shook off the ship that was still on his side of the tide pool, which had dried up significantly since he had discovered Earendil there earlier that morning.

With one eye on Ereinion and a smirk on his face, Cirdan retrieved the other two boats from the other side of the pool. “Am I to assume you have been out here the better part of the day sailing these ships?”

“Maybe.”

Cirdan chuckled. “I worried when I did not see you at lunch.” Ereinion scratched his chin and looked away, declining comment. “Alright, you have your own duties, lad. I will be sure these get back to Earendil.” He held out his hand for the one that Ereinion still held, which was sheepishly handed over. “You are as bad as he is,” teased the ship builder.

“Aye, but I already know how to spell ‘sailing’, so I believe I have earned the right for a few minutes of recreation.”

“You have had more than a few minutes, and last I checked, there were four or five counselors looking for you. If you go now, I will neglect to tell anyone that their king plays with toy boats.”

“Master Cirdan, you are much too kind,” answered Ereinion after laughing to himself. He took a few steps toward the palace before looking longingly back at the tide pool.

“If you go now and take care of your responsibilities, I might be persuaded to make one of these for you,” Cirdan offered.

Ereinion was about to object, but then again, why not? “I shall hold you to that, Master Cirdan!” The young king headed back to his duties, disappearing from Cirdan’s sight within minutes.

Cirdan gave it a few more before he looked down at the tide pool. Much too small, he determined, and after a quick look about, set off to find a bigger pool to use to sail the toy boats in for a few minutes.
This story archived at http://www.littlebalrog.com/zhie/phoenix/viewstory.php?sid=85