Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Any worries that may have initially been had about having a dwarf in Valinor were quickly dispelled after two hours among the elves in Oropher's palace. Gimli met nearly everyone at the reception, and found that the emotion faced most often was curiosity. He was glad to learn that Bilbo and Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee were happy and living well, as was Gandalf. He was glad finally to sit when Elrond offered him a place at the table he, his wife, and mother and father-in-law were at. Gimli sat down at Galadriel's left, and Elrond sat in the seat left of Gimli.

"Gimli, son of Gloin, you already know Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn, but I have never had the pleasure of introducing you to my wife and their daughter, Lady Celebrian." Elrond made a motion with his hand from Gimli to Celebrian. His wife held out her hand across the table, but instead of facing it palm down, it was extended in a manner meant to shake Gimli's hand. "Mae govannen, Gimli. My husband and brothers have told me much about you."

"A pleasure to meet you, fair lady." Gimli reached out and shook Celebrian's hand, but was able to fluidly lean forward and place a kiss upon the back of it before releasing her hand and settling back into his seat. "Only your husband and brothers have spoken of me, then?" Gimli glanced briefly to his right before looking once more to Celebrian.

"Well, I suppose the hobbits speak of you quite a lot, and Mithrandir, but I do not often see them," she admitted, folding her hands upon the table. "Fear not, all of the words have been good ones."

Gimli rubbed his chin with a smile. "Even the words from the short elf?"

"Oh, Haldir?" Celebrian shrugged. "I do not know what he says of you. Orophin and Rumil hold you in high regard, however, Lord Gimli."

"Oh, no, please, Gimli is enough, lassie. No need to use that preposterous prefix."

"Gimli is quite a close family friend," Galadriel reminded Celebrian.

"As his father also was," Elrond added.

"Oh, well... well, ah... " Gimli blushed slightly, though his whiskers covered this fact quite well. "And what has the fair lady of the woods done with her time spent here in these lands?"

Galadriel smiled and tucked a few stray hairs behind her ear. "I've taken time to reacquaint myself with the hills and forests. This is my native land, the place I was born and grew from a tiny elfling. Soon, one of my own elflings will be born here as well," she said, placing a hand upon her stomach fondly.

"Oh, my!" Gimli first now noticed the swell of Galadriel's belly and chuckled. "You've been busy then, my lady."

"Yes, we have been. Quite busy," Celeborn said curtly, and he not so discreetly placed his arm around his wife. Galadriel ignored the reaction from her husband.

"And does the wee one have a name yet?" inquired Gimli.

Galadriel nodded and looked to Celeborn with great affection. "We have decided upon Tallasinde." Celeborn smiled back and slid his arm away, paying attention once more to his drink.

"That is a grand name for an elf. However, if it should happen the name doesn't fit, I can suggest a few fine Dwarven names for the child," offered Gimli. If Celeborn did not have the extreme control he possessed, he would have sprayed the other inhabitants at the table with a mouthful of Lorien Sunrise.

It was Elrond who took note of the incident, and swiftly stood. "If you shall excuse us, I see that King Thranduil is free at the moment, and I would very much like to speak with him and thank him for his hospitality. Come, Celeborn."

"I spoke with him already," Celeborn answered, glaring at Elrond. He was not about to leave his wife alone with this Dwarf.

"Go along, Ada," insisted Celebrian, "we will not be offended. He is a good friend of yours, and you have no choice in seeing the rest of us every day," she laughed.

Celeborn glanced at Elrond, who was wearing his 'don't make me drag you there' look, which hadn't been used in years, but Elrond had had enough practice using it while the twins and Arwen were young. Reluctantly the elf lord rose from his chair and followed Elrond across the room.

- - -

"...but we didn't know there was a Mumak living in the woods. You can imagine the surprise of all of us when we were having supper and it decided to join us!" Legolas laughed to himself about the incident, but Haldir did little more than smile politely. The elf of Mirkwood tried to think of another tale of Ithilian to tell the Lorien elf, but it seemed Haldir was willing himself not to have a good time. "Perhaps we should call one of the bartenders over to refill our drinks," suggested Legolas, but Haldir shook his head.

"It was one drink and ten minutes, and that was two hours ago."

Legolas frowned. "It could not be that long already," he said, but he knew the time was indeed long past even two hours. "What about a walk outside? I do know you enjoy fresh air before you retire for the evening."

"Nay, for you will keep me an hour more if we wander outside," Haldir told him.

Legolas heaved an overly exaggerated sigh. "Well, if you must leave, then I suppose you must."

The bartender appeared in front of them suddenly, smiling politely as she refilled their glasses without asking, and then slipped away.

Haldir stared at the drink before him. "I suppose I should not let it go to waste."

Legolas grinned. "Then once, when Gimli came to visit, well, we didn't have any ladders built for the flets yet-"

- - -

Celeborn chewed at his lip, looking down his glass and across the room at the table they had been sitting at. His focus was mainly on his wife and the dwarf. "Damn the musicians for retiring," he cursed, running a finger around the rim of his glass. Elrond looked on with amusement.

"I believe they shall return after a break," Elrond assured him. He smiled and added, "I have never before seen you this aggravated."

"Perhaps if it was your wife being fondled by a dwarf you would be as aggravated as I," replied Celeborn.

Elrond blinked, glancing at the table Gimli and their wives sat at. "I do not think he was 'fondling' her, Sa'Adar. The elfling was probably kicking and he was just... " Elrond moved his hand in a circular motion, trying to think of a way to get Celeborn's mind off of the scene he was watching. "Why don't we take a walk outside? I have been told that the sky is cloudless and the stars are lovely."

"Do you know what she gave him?"

"Gave who?"

"The dwarf. When he was in Lothlorien, do you know what she gave him?"

"I have a feeling I am about to find out," sighed Elrond, rubbing his head with his fingertips.

"Three of her golden hairs. Three." He emphasized this point by holding up three fingers, but he still kept his eyes on the table where Gimli and Galadriel were sitting, laughing at some tale Celebrian was telling them. "Are the musicians not back from their break yet?"

Elrond looked at the platform, seeing it empty. "They are not."

"How long does it take for six elves to relieve themselves and get a drink?" grumbled Celeborn. "Where is my son? I wonder if he has that flute of his with him. Perhaps I can persuade him to play a tune."

"Or you could go back to the table and sit down next to her in the empty seat," suggested Elrond.

"Or I could go back to the table and dismiss the dwarf and sit down in his seat," said Celeborn into his glass.

"You're jealous of him," said Elrond, with a bit of a laugh. "I don't understand why it is, but indeed you are."

"Indeed I am," sulked Celeborn, narrowing his eyes as Galadriel leaned toward Gimli conspiratorially, placing one hand on his knee as she whispered something to him that made him chuckle. "Where are the musicians?" he questioned darkly.

Elrond was about to offer to find the ensemble, but then he got an idea. An evil idea. A deliciously evil idea. 'It is a good thing the dark lord was not able to get to me, for I would have made such an excellent conspirator,' he thought, and Celebrian looked up and over at him warily. He had become so excited about his sudden plan, he had not guarded his thoughts as he was usually quite careful to.

'You are terrible.'

'Oh, let me have my fun.'

'I should really warn Ada.'

'Ria, it is the perfect opportunity.'

'I hope you know, I will not be a party to your evil plot against Haldir.'

'I can accept that. I plan to enlist every other member of your family.'

'I am sure you will. I have complete faith in you.' Celebrian paused for a moment and added, 'You might want to say something. Your eyes are glazed over and Ada is looking at you with some concern.'

Elrond shook his head, breaking the link with his wife. Celeborn was looking at him oddly. "Hmm?"

"I asked if something was the matter," said Celeborn.

"Oh, no. Nothing. Nothing at all," answered Elrond. "I was just thinking... "

"Mmm." Celeborn resumed staring at his wife and the dwarf sitting next to her.

"Dwarves can be very... nurturing," continued Elrond. Celeborn lifted up his head and looked to Elrond warily without turning to him. "When Elrohir and Elladan were growing up, we had a good number of dwarves that came through the homely house. A few of them stayed with us many seasons, teaching them much."

Celeborn narrowed his eyes. "My grandsons were raised in part by dwarves."

"If I recall," mused Elrond, "your youngest son, as well. Rumil spent some time with Kiri and Boban. The three of them explored many a cave together."

Celeborn refused to let his jaw drop. "My son cavorted around Middle Earth in the care of dwarves."

Elrond nodded. "It did him much good, I think." Elrond nodded again. "I think I shall ask Gimli Gloinson to move into the First Homely House. It should do some good for the elflings when they are born."

Laughing uneasily, Celeborn lifted his drink. "That is a... fairly good jest, Elrond." When Elrond did not return the laughter, Celeborn set down his glass without drinking. "Surely, Elrond, you are joking." Still, the Lord of the House of the Pink Sea Birds said nothing. "Elrond! A dwarf in the house? What did I ever do to you? I have always been kind to you, I was much more lenient than most fathers are regarding their daughters - you of all elves should know that. I can't think of anything that would make you do such a horrible thing to me."

Looking Celeborn directly in the eye, Elrond said, "No me gusta-" but was cut off.

"Oh, bugger, Elrond, I can't believe you are still holding a grudge about that!" Celeborn sunk lower to the table, sulking. "You just aren't going to let that go, are you?"

"I might be persuaded to forget about the incident. For a price of course." Elrond waited until Celeborn finished drumming his fingers upon the table. "It will only cost you one day of your time."

"One day?" Celeborn sat up. "What's one day? Do-wait. Which day?"

"November the twelfth."

"Don-wait. It can't be this easy. What is November the twelfth?"

"Well, if you cannot keep straight the birthdays of your very own children-"

Celeborn shook his head once he realized the significance of the day. "Elrond, I will not do something against Haldir. I think he has suffered enough; he is just beginning to be social again. I will not lose him again to a silly prank." Celeborn lifted his drink again. "Besides, I do not think you would really ask the dwarf to live in the house."

"No hablo Sindarin," replied Elrond.

Celeborn slammed his glass onto the top of the table, cracking but not shattering it. Elrond sighed and pulled his chair closer to his father-in-law. "What I am planning is a very harmless joke. I have already enlisted nearly everyone else in the house, so I really don't need you to assist with the plan."

"I still do not think you would let the dwarf live at the house." Celeborn looked across the room. Galadriel was laughing at some grand tale Gimli was telling with flourish. "But tell me of your plan, Elrond, and I will consider it."

Elrond leaned over and whispered to Celeborn, keeping watch in case anyone should approach. "I still don't like this for some reason," muttered Celeborn as he continued to watch his wife. "But if I agree to this, then we are even. No more pranks or jokes. I am too old for this sort of thing."

"No more pink birds," warned Elrond.

"No dwarves living in the First Homely House," countered Celeborn.

"Agreed," nodded Elrond.

"Done." Celeborn held out a hand, and the two gave a forceful shake on the deal. "Now, I am going to rescue my wife, if you do not mind."

Elrond decided not to mention that Galadriel looked to be far from needing rescue. He observed Celeborn's arrogant walk, head held high. Elrond knew he had seen this before, and wondered if it was something Celeborn had taught Haldir to do, or if the younger elf had picked it up on his own. His thoughts wandering once again, he heard gentle laughter in his head and shifted his gaze across the room.

'Ada learned it from Halli.'

'Somehow, Ria, that does not surprise me.'

Elrond watched as Celeborn said a few words to Galadriel and motioned to where other elves were dancing. She shook her head, and Celeborn furrowed his brow. Once more he made an appeal, but she held up her hand to silence him, patting his cheek before he heaved a great sigh and came back to the table Elrond was at. Immediately he began to survey the room.

"Let me guess. Feet too swollen to dance?" Elrond asked.

Celeborn let his eyes wander from table to table, most of them empty. "Shut up, Elrond, or I'll make you dance with me."

Elrond, wise beyond his years, shut up. He had an urge to ask what Celeborn was looking for, but heeded the words of his father-in-law.

"Are there no elleths here by themselves?" Celeborn wondered aloud.

"Why? Are you in the market now?" Elrond clapped his hand over his mouth just as he received a venomous stare from Celeborn.

"I hope one of the hobbits suddenly becomes infatuated with your wife. Then, you'll know." Celeborn suddenly became distracted by someone and smiled wickedly to himself. "Yes... she'll do," he said to himself as he moved in the direction of the stage.

Elrond gave a relieved sigh once Celeborn had gone. Infatuated hobbits was something he could deal with, but he doubted he would have recovered from the embarrassment had he been forced to dance with his father-in-law.

Celeborn approached the stage with the suave stagger of a young elf looking for a good time. The group of musicians regarded him carefully, murmuring to one another that the elf lord appeared to be drunk. When he made a motion with his hand for one of them to come forward, the elleth in question looked warily to the rest of the band before edging to the side of the stage Celeborn stood at. "Did you have a request for a song?" asked the bard, still strumming her lute.

"I am in need of a dance partner," Celeborn informed her.

"What of your wife, my lord?"

"She is otherwise occupied," said Celeborn, whose right hand had already snuck under the elleth's elbow.

"And your daughter?" asked the elleth, glancing around her shoulder. Apparently, the rest of the band was more interested in being amused than in giving a helping hand, for they watched with interest, yet made no move to assist her.

"Also occupied," Celeborn said, pulling her gently, but forcefully down the steps along the side of the stage. The bard was barely able to draw the strap of her instrument over her head and lean it against the wall before she was pulled to the dance floor.

The mood of the music changed by the time they began to move in time with it, and the bard shot a look of contempt over her shoulder at the rest of the musicians, who smiled around the reeds of their clarinets or smirked between trills on their flutes. None of them looked at all apologetic for the sultry piece they had begun to play, and the bard decided she would kill them all later.

Celeborn swept the elleth through the other dancing couples, coming to a perfect spot so that Galadriel had a full view of his activities. The poor elleth looked longingly at the stage, but this only fueled the fire and caused the musicians to ease into a more seductive tune. The elleth was absolutely, positively going to kill them all, and in the most painful way she could think of.

"You dance quite well," commended Celeborn, keeping watch of Galadriel from the corner of his eye. He knew that Galadriel was well aware of what he was doing, but she continued to focus her attention on Gimli and her daughter. "What is your name?" Celeborn asked the elleth.

"Bubastis Zagazig is what I am called, but surely you know that, my lord, you are in the King's Kastle often enough."

"That is the name you use, but what is your real name?" he questioned. "Surely, your parents did not name you using the Dwarvish tongue."

The elleth shook her head. "It was Astist once, and Castist before that, and Galade years before. But I traveled long with Dwarves and Gnomes and Men, and those names no longer seem to fit."

"But you are in Valinor now," smiled Celeborn. "And until last night, I could have told you that there are no Dwarves, Gnomes, or Men in Valinor. I do not think your name would be out of place now."

"One would not think," said Bubastis, "but I am also a peredhel. That complicates matters."

Celeborn frowned slightly. "It should not."

"But it does." She nodded in the direction of the twins, who were sitting at a table by themselves, sharing a gigantic (and very alcoholic) strawberry milkshake. "They have been alone most of the evening, but it is no fault of theirs. There is a great deal of prejudice here, unfortunately. I would have liked to have stayed at the King's Kastle, where such things do not matter," she confessed.

"Why did you not then?" Celeborn danced them slightly out of Galadriel's view. He found himself interested in this elleth, especially regarding her heritage. Half-elves were a rare breed, and they all tended to have fascinating origins and stories. He really didn't need his wife interjecting now that the conversation had become of interest.

"Thranduil insisted that we perform. It was all of us or none of us, and the rest were quite persistent about coming. It has been enjoyable, for the most part," she reflected.

They continued to talk as they danced, and luckily, the remaining musicians relented and went back to more traditional songs. Celeborn began to stifle yawns until he was unable to, and then stopped mid-song with a shake of his head. "I regret that I am not as young as I wish I were."

"I think you merely suffer from fatigue," said Bubastis. "And if you might permit me to say, it is only those guests too stubborn to admit that even the Firstborn need sleep who are still here in the hall."

"Oh, damn." Celeborn let his hands fall to his sides. "This is just not going the way I had hoped."

Bubastis gave a worried look. "If I have offended you, I offer my sincerest apologies."

"No, no... " Celeborn waved this off with his hand. "Do you see my wife over there?" he asked.

Bubastis gave a sigh. "How can anyone not? She must be the most radiant elleth in all of Valinor. Believe me when I tell you there are some who would gladly face Mandos if they could have her beauty for a day."

"Yet she sits with a Dwarf while her poor husband wishes nothing more than to bask in that radiance," sighed Celeborn. "I shall admit, it was rather rude of me, but I intended to use you as bait. To make her jealous by dancing with a lovely young elleth, and if that did not bring the desired results, to, well... to kiss the poor maid, for if there is one thing my wife doth detest, it is to see my lips upon those of another elleth."

"So... you've done this before," guessed Bubastis, crossing her arms.

"No, no... " Celeborn shook his head. "Once, maybe. Twice, or, eight times, at the most."

Bubastis couldn't help but laugh as the elf lord blushed, admitting to his past transgressions. "Might I be so bold as to ask if the lady has ever used the same technique?"

"Oh... " Celeborn looked back to the table, where Galadriel was smiling affectionately at Gimli. She held one of the Dwarf's hands, while the other was being used to help retell some fantastic feat. "...she has her own way of things."

Bubastis peered over Celeborn's shoulder to see what he was watching now. "Dash it all, me and my helpful ways... " she mumbled. "Turn this way," she instructed, pushing him so that Galadriel would have a view of them from the side. "If she kills me for this, promise you'll stop by Mandos for a visit." Without further notice, the elleth stretched up on her tiptoes, putting her hands on Celeborn's shoulders to gain enough height so that she could place a chaste kiss on his lips.

The kiss itself was quite innocent, really, and reminded Celeborn of kissing Celebrian or Arwen. But the elleth, quite the performer, bent one leg upwards so that her pose was more reminiscent of a ballerina, and winked coyly as she stepped back into place. Galadriel had not missed a moment of the performance, and within seconds had dismissed herself from the table and was taking strides as large as she was able to the dance floor.

Although she had heard of Galadriel's overwhelming presence, Bubastis was still in awe as the Noldo approached and then towered over her. Nothing was said, for all Galadriel need do was stare to instill fear into the poor peredhel. "Yes, well, I think that's the next set, I must get back to the stage. It was lovely... " Bubastis held out her hand to shake Celeborn's, but Galadriel had only to arch one brow for the elleth to pull back. "...er, right then. Ta." Bubastis swiftly turned and headed thankfully back to the stage.

Lowering her brow, Galadriel slowly turned her head to face Celeborn. "May I cut in?"

"Certainly." Although he was truly too tired to dance now, he was not about to give up the opportunity. They easily found the rhythm of the song and Celeborn had the distinct feeling that his wife was clinging to him rather than holding him.

"It angers you that Gimli is here." She was unsure, but it seemed that way.

"No, that is not it," Celeborn said soothingly.

"What then?" asked Galadriel.

"I am jealous of him."

"Jealous of him?" Galadriel laughed quietly. "Why ever should you be jealous?"

Celeborn shook his head, giving her a shrug. Her laughter quieted and her smile fell from her face.

"My gift to Gimli displeased you." She said this to him without anger, and without remorse, simply stating the thoughts he did not wish to speak.

"I have thought on it, and yes, I think it did displease me. I knew of Feanor's pleas to you and knew of your rejection of his request." Celeborn lifted a hand and drew his fingers lightly through a loose wavy tress of golden silk. "There were a few times when I thought to ask you for a lock of your golden treasure, but I never presumed such a wish would be granted."

"But Celeborn, you possess a far greater gift," she assured him. "You, and you alone, hold my heart." Galadriel placed her head upon his shoulder, and Celeborn drew her closer with a sigh.

"I am still jealous."

He felt Galadriel nod her head. "Think of this, dear husband. While you have eternity with me, Gimli shall live here with us for only a brief time. The window of opportunity to get to know him again is very small. You and I, we shall have forever... "

"I know." He drew his hand over her golden hair and pressed a kiss atop her head.

"A new daughter soon... "

"I know this, too," he said, smiling now at the thought.

"Four wonderful children already... "

"You mean it is too late to send them back?"

Galadriel lifted her head and playfully shoved at Celeborn's shoulder as they continued to dance, but she began laughing, as did he, and soon the pair had stopped dancing, foreheads pressed together as they shared a moment of mirth. "I think it may be a bit late for that," she said before they returned to dancing.

- - -

Elrohir and Elladan were happily watching the events as they unfolded, grateful that there were two of them so that they could follow everything and share later what had happened. Elrohir noticed Haldir and Legolas sitting at the bar nearby and took his eyes from his grandparents to watch them. His jaw dropped after a short time, and he pulled on Elladan's sleeve, nearly yanking it off.

"What is the matter?" asked Elladan with concern. He had been enjoying the view of his mother and father listening to Gimli rehash a grand adventure.

"El - look!" Elrohir pointed not to their uncle, but to the elf with him. "Look at that! Look at how he's eating!"

Elladan did look, indeed he studied the elf for a time before answering, "He is eating very slowly."

"No!" Elrohir said excitedly, and Elladan flinched, and then looked again. "No, El, it is something else!"

Elladan bit his lip and watched. "He's... taking small bites?"

"No."

"Chewing with caution?"

"No! One word. He's... " prompted Elrohir.

"He's... " Elladan shook his head, studying his brother, trying to determine the answer. "He's... snacking, he's... gnawing-no, not gnawing, he's... nibbling, he's-"

Elrohir bounced on his seat excitedly, tapping on his nose. "Nibbling, nibbling, he's nibbling!"

"Ohhhh-kaaaay... he's... nibbling." Elladan turned back to watching his parents and Gimli, but abruptly turned back. His eyes were wide and he was pointing at Legolas. "He's nibbling, El, he's nibbling! He's Nibbles!"

Elrohir shoved Elladan's hand down to his side, nodding with enthusiasm. "We should have made the bunny green."

- - -

Legolas licked each of the prongs of his fork separately, savoring the very last taste of the dessert. Haldir was propped on the counter, elbow on the top of it and his hand against his head, watching and waiting for Legolas to finish. "Shall we go for that walk now?" asked Haldir. He was trying hard to be indifferent at times, but he was truly happy not only that Legolas had finally come to the west, but also to know that Erestor and Glorfindel would soon arrive as well.

"I don't know," admitted Legolas, placing his fork on his empty plate. "I forgot how good Elvish food could be. Real, true Elvish food." Legolas glanced around, sniffing the air. "Did they bring out fresh pastries?" he asked, eyeing the dessert tables.

"We are going to be here forever if you continue to sample treats," groaned Haldir, but his voice was playful, and he also looked at the tables. "If you go up there, if they have-"

"Frosted apple pastry, and half a slice of blueberry." Legolas winked and swung his leg over the side of the stool. "I shall return," he promised as he gave the other elf a squeeze on the shoulder, and weaved his way back to the desserts."

- - -

Elrohir and Elladan stood, planning to make their way over to confront Haldir, but sat back down as Gimli rushed past them. "This should be fun." He said this not in elf common, not in Westron, but in their own special twintalk language they sometimes used.

"Quite."

"Did you see the wink?"

"And the squeeze."

"They are so in love."

"Oh, we have to make him a green rabbit."

"For his birthday?"

"If we can hold out that long!"

- - -

Gimli approached the bar where Haldir was sitting waiting for Legolas to return. The Dwarf tapped the empty stool next to Haldir. "I don't suppose this happens to be vacant."

Haldir looked upon the stool with indifference. "I do not see anyone currently occupying it."

Gimli gave a nod and made an attempt to heave himself up. After three more tries, he huffed and cursed under his breath. The stool was much higher than he had thought.

"I'm not lifting you up, dwarf," Haldir said quietly before sipping his drink.

"And ah did not ask you to. Elf," grumbled Gimli. He judged the distance between the top of the stool and the floor again, and began to wonder where he might find a box. Haldir cleared his throat, and Gimli turned to find that the elf had swung his legs around with his feet placed together, giving Gimli the option of a crude sort of step. Gimli quickly took the opportunity and after a moment was seated on one of the stools. "Thanks."

Haldir acknowledged him with a brief nod before repositioning himself.

Neither said anything to one another for some time. Gimli finally broke the ice by asking, "So, the house on the beach. Who lives there, besides the flamingo?"

"Mitzi is mother's bird. The house is Elrond's."

"Do you live there as well?"

"And my siblings, their spouses, and children. We keep goats and chickens as well."

"Ah. And which of the rooms would be yours?"

Haldir glanced over in surprise. "Why would that concern you?"

"Well, it doesn't, actually, I just-"

"Were you in the house?" Haldir's eyes narrowed as he realized just how much information Gimli already possessed. "You had to have gone in, Mitzi was in there, you wouldn't have seen her otherwise."

"Uh... well... it was Legolas' idea!" stammered Gimli.

As if on cue, the elf returned, happily whistling as he approached Gimli and Haldir.

Haldir looked over his shoulder and blinked, momentarily forgetting his discussion with Gimli. "Did you leave any for anyone else?" asked Haldir as he surveyed the tray of deserts the grinning Prince carried back to their spot at the bar.

Legolas stuck his tongue out. "A month with nothing but lembas. Try it some time and you'd do the same." He pulled one plate off of the tray and handed it to Haldir along with a fork. "Gimli, can I interest you in anything?"

"Oh, no, I'm quite stuffed," said the dwarf.

"Suit yourself." Legolas set the tray down and perched himself upon the stool to Haldir's right. He licked his lips as he brought forward a large piece of iced chocolate cake drizzled with strawberry syrup.

"You are going to make yourself sick," Haldir told him, but Legolas simply smiled and scooped up a mouthful of cake. "Alright then, but I refuse to hold your head over a basin when it all comes back later."

"That goes double for me," added Gimli.

"Elves don't get sick," Legolas informed him between bites.

Haldir opened his mouth to relate the incident he had had earlier that year on the beach, but decided not to. He remembered he was supposed to be indifferent. He was supposed to be upset about the Greenwood incident. He was supposed to have left three hours ago. "Elves also don't usually go into other elves' homes without permission."

Legolas pushed the remaining cake across the plate with his fork. Obviously, Haldir had found out about the house on the beach. "Elves should lock the doors of places they don't want other elves to go into."

"So you explored the entire house then," assumed Haldir before finishing the liquid in his glass.

"Most of the rooms." Legolas paused, but not for long. "Who does the purple rabbit belong to?" he blurted out.

Choking on his drink, Haldir coughed and sputtered as he looked over to meet Legolas' gaze. He was angry, yes, but he also felt violated in some respect. Although the hour was late and few elves remained, he feared that someone had heard the question. Setting his jaw, he did not answer.

"We were somewhat wondering if it mightn't belong to you," added Gimli, unable to see the expression on Haldir's face. Haldir set his drink onto the counter, pushed the stool back, and walked away, finding a table far away from anyone to sit at.

"Nice job, Gimli," Legolas said, throwing his fork onto the plate.

"Me? Oh no, you already had him going."

Voices likely would have been raised at each other, except for an interruption from the opposite side of the bar. "The rabbit-" began Elladan.

"-is his," finished Elrohir. The pair had discreetly meandered over and were sitting along the other side of the U-shaped counter, nursing drinks of their own. Legolas slumped his shoulders and pushed his plate away from him, heaving a sigh. Gimli shook his head and carefully dismounted from his stool.

"I'll go talk to him," grumbled Gimli. Before Legolas could stop him, the dwarf was halfway to his destination. Gimli did not approach with caution. Instead, he boldly pulled out the chair opposite of the surprised elf and sat himself down. The two stared at each other for a few seconds before Gimli said, "I had a reindeer." He looked down at his hands, wondering if perhaps it had been a bad idea to come over to the table.

"Pardon?"

"When I was young, I had a stuffed reindeer. I named him Rocks. Used to go everywhere with me. In those days, we moved around a lot." Gimli looked up to find Haldir was paying careful attention to his tale. "I was about twenty-two when I put Rocks away in a box, and twenty-eight when I realized he wasn't with me anymore. I always wish I would have kept him somewhere safer." Gimli looked around and lowered his voice, adding, "If I still had Rocks, I'd have let him sleep on my bed, too."

Haldir blinked and looked down at the tabletop. Gimli sighed and reached into his pocket for his pipe. "You don't believe me."

Giving a slight smile, Haldir shook his head. "No, Gimli, I do believe you. I have no reason not to. You have no reason to make up such a story." Haldir straightened up. "I only just realized I have not been the most courteous to you in the past."

"Nor have I been the model of respect to you," added Gimli, lighting the pipe.

Haldir nodded in agreement. "I must admit I was taken aback when you first entered Lorien and said you should like to spit on my grave."

The pipe nearly fell from Gimli's lips. "You speak Dwarvish?"

"I am a linguistic prodigy," Haldir said proudly. "At least, that is what Master Erestor told me, and I have done well not to forget it."

"I see," Gimli said, repositioning his pipe.

"Let us begin again," suggested Haldir. "We shall put the past behind us."

"At the very least, the bad parts."

"Wouldn't that not be all of it?" asked Haldir, but he was smirking, and Gimli chuckled.

"I must admit that Valinor is a far cry from what I expected." Gimli puffed on the pipe and turned his head around to see what Haldir had looked up at. Legolas stood near the table, a sad expression on his face and a plate of pastry in his hand. Gimli's voice had carried across the room to him, and not a word had been missed.

Legolas shuffled soundlessly to Haldir. "You forgot this," he said as he set the plate down.

"Thanks." Haldir waved an arm at one of the free seats and Legolas sat down next to him.

Placing a hand on Haldir's shoulder, he gave a sincere look of apology. "I am truly sorry, my friend, I did not mean offence."

Haldir nodded. "I am better now, but I think I shall begin warning the rest of the elves to lock their doors now that you are in Valinor." Legolas blushed slightly, and sat back in his chair as the twins approached.

Elrohir was carrying the desert tray Legolas had left at the counter and settled it in the center of the table. "You forgot this," he said, sliding into a seat. Elladan did the same, but was eyeing up a dish of banana pudding.

Frowning, Legolas sighed. "I no longer have the appetite I thought I did."

"Good thing we are here to help, then!" said Elladan, snatching the pudding before there was any further discussion. Elrohir nodded in agreement, and moments later, was licking the frosting off of a large and fluffy cupcake, careful not to get any of the sprinkles caught in his beard.

Legolas noted that his nearly empty plate of cake was among the ones on the tray and pulled it toward him. He made short work of the rest of it.

Gimli snorted as the next song began, yet another slow ballad that kept a few couples dancing. "This party could use a bit of livening up."

"By all rights, we should all have retired by now," grinned Elladan. "It was your arrival which extended the event. Soon, it shall be morning, in fact."

"Well, before the end of this gathering, I think there should be a good strong song to finish the evening, or begin the day, whatever the case may be." Gimli looked to Legolas. "What about one of those drinking songs the Hobbits were so fond of? Or a Dwarvish one - that would be a good end to this. A duet, perhaps?"

"I really don't know that much Dwarvish," said Legolas, trying to decide which of his desserts to tackle next.

"You needn't know the Dwarvish, laddie, we would sing it in Westron so that everyone could understand it," said Gimli.

"Well, I don't know Dwarvish songs, either." Legolas pulled a puffy pastry with raspberries and cream to the front of his hoard. "

Gimli frowned. "I've sang enough of them to you over the last century."

Legolas lifted a forkful of fruit and cream to his lips. "I didn't know there was going to be a quiz."

"Agggh. And I suppose you would have me sing an Elvish tune with you instead," complained Gimli.

"I shall sing with you." Even Haldir blinked in surprise at his own words. "I know a few Dwarvish songs, although I might suggest we sing them in Westron so that it does not seem we are insulting the rest of the guests."

The twins looked at each other with great interest and astonishment.

"Haldir?" questioned Elladan.

"Sing?" answered Elrohir.

The twins turned to look at their uncle, who merely shrugged and turned his attention back to Gimli. "Do you have a favorite?" asked the Dwarf, setting his pipe carefully on the table.

"Do you know 'The Gnome with the Curious Nature'?" Haldir asked, standing up.

"Aye, that I do!" Gimli stood and began to make his way to the stage. "My great-great-great-uncle Grundle actually traveled with that Gnome!"

"Then you would be interested to know that there is an elf living here who traveled with that fabled group, the very same bard who composed the Westron version of the song we are about to sing." Haldir made a motion to the lute player in the band and she came to the side of the stage, still strumming her instrument. "Gimli and I would like to sing a tune." For the first time that very trying evening, the bard's hand faltered and she hit a wrong chord.

"I am sorry, Lord Haldir, I thought I heard you say you wished to sing a song with Gimli Gloinson."

"We should like to sing 'Burglar Binky Buckletooth: The Gnome with the Curious Nature'," explained Haldir.

The elleth nodded. Apparently, everyone in Valinor had gone mad. "This was to be the last song, but I am sure we can stay for one final tune." She walked back to the other musicians and spoke to them in low tones. After a few moments then ended the current song, receiving applause from the few elves that were still left.

"We have one final song for you this evening, which will be presented with the assistance of Lord Haldir and Lord Gimli. Thank you for your attention this evening, and we bid you a good night." The elleth bowed, sweeping her feathered hat off of her head and back on once again before relinquishing the front of the stage to Haldir and Gimli.

The music began behind them and Gimli looked to Haldir, who nodded. Gimli's strong voice sang out the majority of the song, while Haldir accompanied him on the accented lines and the chorus.


I knew a gnome far from his home
Around hill and dale he liked to roam
His nose is small, but don't tell him the truth
Let's all sing the song of Buckletooth

Binky Buckletooth is the name of this creature
He might be short and an oddly sort, but
Please excuse his curious nature
For he's a gnome far from his home
He has traveled far and wide
Binky Buckletooth, full of gnomish pride

He won't talk to trees, won't listen to bees
He'll only do whatever he please
But check a tunnel or look underground and
He'll talk to all the burrowin' animals around

Binky Buckletooth is the name of this creature
He might be short and an oddly sort, but
Please excuse his curious nature
For he's a gnome far from his home
He has traveled far and wide
Binky Buckletooth, full of gnomish pride

If he stays he'll try to appraise
Gems and jewels, if he can, for days
Truly a friend to the end and a marvelous fighter
But give him a chance and he'll make your purse lighter

Binky Buckletooth is the name of this creature
He might be short and an oddly sort, but
Please excuse his curious nature
For he's a gnome far from his home
He has traveled far and wide
Binky Buckletooth, full of gnomish pride


The song came to an end and Legolas stared, open-mouthed as he watched the pair bow modestly to the applause they received. "He can sing."

"He's an elf." Elladan shrugged, now concentrating his efforts on a bowl of lavender custard. "Of course he can sing."

"But you made it sound like he couldn't," said Legolas.

"We knew he could," corrected Elrohir, stabbing at the air with the fork from his lemon pie to make his point. "We just did not expect him to do so in public."

Gimli and Haldir found their seats at the table once more as nearly everyone began to find their way out of the hall. The lights from the candles were soon dimmed, but the beginning streaks of daylight came in through the high windows, helping to illuminate the room. Thranduil ordered the remaining deserts be left out for the quintet in the back of the hall before he, too, retired. Soon, all that remained was a table full of sweets, four very lively elves considering the amount of sugar they had ingested, and an amused Dwarf. They had brought chairs to the desert table for easier access.

Haldir swept his eyes across the great expanse. His chin rested on one hand while the other pointed to various things. Haldir's theory was that if he had only a single bite of whatever he wanted to taste, he would not be sick, but he was having a difficult time remembering now what he had and had not sampled. "Have I tried that?" he asked Gimli, pointing to a three-layer cake with blue and green frosting.

"Yes, just after the plum cobbler."

"And that?" he pointed now to a plate of long cookie tubes filled with mint cream.

Gimli nodded. "Right before the caramel brownies."

Haldir licked his lips. Too bad Elrohir had eaten all of the caramel brownies. "What about this?" He picked up a slice of fluffy white cake. It was quite plain, but smelled deliciously fresh.

"No. You haven't stuffed any of that into your belly yet," confirmed Gimli.

"Oh, good." Haldir sipped his water to clear his palate before biting off a considerable chunk of cake. "Mmm. I rather like this. I think I shall have all of this treat," he decided.

Legolas frowned and pouted a bit. He had taken to finishing the deserts Haldir had started. Looking down the table, he smiled at the twins, who were both feeling the effects of the large intake of sugar much more than the full-blooded elves were. Elladan bounced on his chair as he explained something to Elrohir, who laughed and giggled at what seemed to be the most inappropriate moments. Legolas turned his attention back to Haldir, who had finished off the cake and was looking for another desert.

"What are those down there?" Haldir asked, pointing down to the far end of the table closest to Legolas.

Legolas stretched forward, picking up a candied apple by the stick that was in it. "What, these?"

"You've had those already," Gimli informed him, puffing on his pipe.

Haldir shook his head. "No, further down."

"These?" Legolas held up a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.

"Yes, bring those here," Haldir commanded with a motion of his hand. Gimli chuckled as Legolas did as he was instructed, setting the plate down in front of the former Captain.

Elrohir and Elladan immediately had their attention drawn to the new tray of treats and scampered over, Elrohir standing behind Legolas and Elladan behind Haldir. "Ooooooo... strawberries dipped in chocolate... " Elladan's eyes got bigger with each word.

"Are they any good?" asked Gimli, reaching for one.

"Yes... er, no! Good for elves, not for dwarves," explained Elladan quickly.

Gimli narrowed his eyes. "And why would that be, laddie?"

"Adar calls them the food of Feanor," blurted out Elrohir before dissolving into a fit of giggles.

Elladan looked to the floor, where his twin had slid. "Yes, Ada says they are sinful... we had better eat them before they are found by anyone else," Elladan said solemnly, plucking one from the tray. "I suggest you leave this to us, Gimli. Ofiicial elf business, you understand." Elladan bit into his strawberry and closed his eyes. Indeed, they were sinful, he thought.

Gimli looked at Haldir and Legolas, hoping to find some amount of sanity, but they were both laughing at Elrohir laughing on the floor. "Elves," grumbled Gimli, shaking his head as he stood. He gave one final look at the four silly creatures before heading for the staircase that would lead outside. "Valinor is most assuredly a far cry from what I expected," he huffed as he left the room, but there was a definite smile on his face.