Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"Look what the north wind blew in," laughed Orophin as Haldir entered the kitchen. He nearly stuck his tongue out at his brother, until he realized that they had company and that he was not the one being referred to.

"Mithrandir!" Haldir grinned as the Istar smiled with a nod. "It has been long since you have visited, you must come by more often!"

"I do try, m'lad, but there are so many things going on in Valinor, and I cannot be in all places at once," chuckled the wizard.

"Or... can he?" Orophin gave a mischievous look about, causing Celebrian and even Elrond to laugh.

Gandalf shook his head. "Oh, now you've found me out, confound it all. It's always the ones you least expect who learn your secrets." He winked at Orophin.

"Halli, there's someone else in the parlor," smiled Celebrian. "He was asking where you were, something about returning a book to you."

Haldir stole an apple from the table and walked briskly to the parlor. He was slightly disappointed to see Bilbo Baggins where he assumed Samwise would have been. The youngest of the hobbitfolk who had come to spend their final time in Valinor had spent much time discussing various things with Haldir during his last visit to the First Homely House, simple Halfling life stories, and in return, Haldir offered to borrow a number of books that he had on Elven culture.

Bilbo was mid-sentence when Haldir entered, finding the room nearly full with the majority of the house sitting and listening. His mother was knitting while his father held the sleeping babe Tallasinde, and the rest were scattered about, lounging and paying close attention to what the adventuring hobbit had to say. Unfortunately, he had yet to entirely finish a story thus far, as his mind wandered from here to there as he went.

"...so when I saw the Arkenstone, I knew exactly what to do with it. If there is one thing an elf can't resist, it's a glimmering jewel, and one of that size was fit for a king, dare I say! And, my, was it a beauty, but I've no real care for such things. Besides, I had my own prize, that pretty little ring I'd found in the cave. Did I mention the cave and the riddles yet?" he asked.

"Yes, I think you may have, but not today," said Elladan. He and his brother were closest to the hobbit and the fire, sitting together on the floor and looking up at the Halfling on his chair. "What were the riddles again?"

"The riddles, yes. The Gollum-creature and I contested against one another in the Riddle Game. Age old tradition, that. I will admit, I did cheat, but wouldn't anyone in my place? I say, is there a bit of a draft in here?"

Haldir, being up at the time, went to the windows and drew the curtains closed to block any wisps of air that may be uninvited. Bilbo squinted, looking over his glasses. "Haldir-lad, is that you? Aye, it must be, I can tell by your height."

"Or lack of it," joked Rumil.

"Never you mind them, lad," said Bilbo, picking up a sack that was on the floor beside him. "These are from dear Sam, he said to 'Beggin' yer parden' for not returning them sooner."

Smiling, Haldir took the bag with the books. "He might have kept them longer if he liked."

"He said he has questions for you before he reads any more of them. Now, where was I..." wondered the old hobbit as Haldir slipped out the door and toward the kitchen again.

Rumil followed him out, taking his arm as they went. "Oh, his stories make me feel young again!" he said. "You missed his talk of the yule celebrations they would have in Hobbiton, and the decorated party tree, and rum cakes and mince pies, and- oh, let's have some breakfast then, shall we?" said Rumil when they entered the kitchen.

He was regarded with an amused look from his other brother at the table. "Rumil, we've already had breakfast."

"We've had one breakfast, yes. But what about second breakfast?" Amid the laughter, Rumil continued, trying to master the lazy accent of the Halflings. "Elvensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea?"

"Second breakfast, you can have, but you'll have to wait for the rest," replied Celebrian cheerfully.

"We should have a yule celebration," spoke Orophin after they were all enjoying another helping of breakfast.

There was agreement upon this, and Haldir added, "It's a winter thing, correct?" Orophin nodded. "If we started planning now, perhaps we would be ready for next year."

The room became deadly silent. Gandalf motioned for Haldir to lean a little closer and said, "If you plan to do this for Bilbo, then you should plan for this year. I didn't bring him here just to tell stories," the wizard said sadly. "I brought him here to say goodbye."

- - -

"Val! Do you still have that journal that old man gave you?" called out Orophin as his wife came to the door of their room. He was wading through the mess that littered the floor as his brothers stood a few feet from the doorway peering in.

"Journal?" questioned Haldir.

"Old man?" asked Rumil.

Valarda growled disdainfully, pushing her way past her in-laws. "He was not old."

"For a man, he was old."

"He was... distinguished."

"He was old."

"No, he was-"

"Val, they called him 'Gamling The Old'. It means, he was old!"

"You're just jealous," she huffed as she threw open the top of a chest and began to sort through it.

Orophin crossed his arms. "Well, you didn't have to kiss him!"

"This is one of those things we're better off not knowing, isn't it?" asked Rumil.

Haldir lowered his voice a bit. "Gamling was one of the men of Rohan who fought at Helm's Deep and went on to aid Gondor. I met him briefly just before the battle. When Valarda stayed to aid them, she was introduced to him. He was a little roguish, swore like she did in battle, which gave her someone to talk to. There was something at some point when they were all celebrating about her not being a lady. I don't know the context, but he was the one who said it, so she sauntered up to him, got real close, and kissed him."

"I'm so glad my wife doesn't do things like that," admitted Rumil. "And he gave her his journal?"

"No, it was sent years later after his death. He had no family, but the two of them wrote to each other. According to Orophin, some of the letters were somewhat scandalous," explained Haldir.

"Somewhat?" Orophin, who had moved to the doorway, snorted. "Try very scandalous and extremely descriptive!" he shouted towards Valarda.

"Oh, and have I ever said a thing about that wench in Bree?"

"Besides the fact you call her a wench and a hussy and a harlot, no, not a thing, darling."

"At least Gamling knew I was married," Valarda shot back, marching over with a small worn book that was barely hanging together. "That barwench thought you were single to the day she died!"

"She never asked!" Orophin took hold of the book and yanked Valarda back by the arm. "Honestly, can we really help it if we're so enticing to mortals? Really, we've done them a favor by being a part of their lives. Spiced it up a bit. How many can boast ongoing correspondence with an elf?"

Valarda pouted, but snuck a step closer. "Well, I suppose I can allow it. It's not as if we've ever done a thing ‘wrong', exactly."

"How true. We may have loose morals, but we still have morals." Orophin held out the book to Haldir and Rumil. "We'll join the two of you in the garden in just a minute-"

"Or two," said Valarda.

"Make it an hour," suggested Orophin, shoving the door closed after Rumil took possession of the book.

- - -

"I'm guessing," said Haldir as he and Rumil sat down on the bench after brushing the dusting of snow from it, "that there is something in here about yule celebrations. Although, I don't know if celebrations of men will be as close to those of hobbits."

"It's a start, though," said Rumil as he opened the book. The two sat beside each other, making out the scrawled writing on the pages.

- - -

December the Fourth

They've brought in a tree to the Great Hall. By the horse of Bema it must be a hundred feet if it's twenty. King Eomer had to have steps constructed to circle the tree so that it could be decorated. Guess who got to put the bloody baubles at the top?

"It's an honor, Gamling" is what he said. An honor to impale myself on a bloody star apparently. "You are a good friend and brave warrior" he said also. Then he handed me the damned thing to carry up around the rickety stairs and put on the top. I nearly fell. Next year I vacation to Mordor for yule.

- - -

December the Fifth

It has snowed.

- - -

December the Ninth

The menu is set for the feast. I am being made to attend. Not that I mind the feast. I mind that I will be made to mingle. Death would only be so kind to take me after the food but before the frolic.

Another letter has been sent from Valarda. I have become rather fond of reading them. Too bad her husband could slice me in two in my sleep or I'd have a thing or two to do with her. I rather think she fancies me. Elves are strange.

- - -

December the Tenth

Death could take me before the feast. I still do not know what I did to offend the fates but I am not to take part in the caroling before the feast. My explanation that I would be needed to oversee security did not fool the king. The Lady Eowyn his sister will attend with her husband of Gondor. She wishes to hear all of her good friends with their voiced raised in song according to her letter. Why am I suddenly everyone's good friend?

The cookies and cakes for the festivities were being baked today. The kitchen maids repeatedly shooed me from the hearths. I offered to taste the goods to be sure they were properly baked but was denied. Returning from patrol, I was pleased to find a plate of treats with a note to stay away from the kitchens until the harkening of the new year.

- - -

December the Twelfth

It has snowed.

- - -

December the Sixteenth

It has snowed again.

- - -

December the Seventeenth.

Grima is not yet forgotten. I was nearly hit by snowballs and found that the children have a game they play. They call it 'Grimy Grima'. They make an ugly sort of snowman and hit it with muddy snowballs from a distance. It's a rather fun game and I have found I excel at it. Even King Eomer was amused by it.

When I returned to my room I found a red velvet sack tied with green cord to the handle of my door. Inside were treats of all kinds from the distant land of Gondor and of the elf people of the valley. Lady Eowyn has arrived and gifted us with these surprises and her presence.

- - -

December the Eighteenth

It has snowed.

- - -

"Does nothing happen in Rohan when it snows?" Rumil finally blurted out.

Haldir flipped through the pages, finding a number of similar entries. "Apparently not."

Rumil nodded. "Well, it is a start. We need a tree. Cookies, gifts, decorations, a feast, and songs. That shouldn't be too difficult to do."

- - -

"To make it fair," said Haldir, "we have put all of the various duties into this sack. You will form your group of those who also pull that same duty to plan whatever you are assigned. If anyone does not wish to participate, now is the time to say so."

Not a word was said until Elrond spoke. "I think we are all in agreement that we would like to work together on this... gift for Bilbo." There was much head nodding, and Haldir passed the sack to Elrond first, who pulled a slip of rolled paper from it before passing it to the next elf. Around the room it went, each of them somewhat solemnly taking their secret assignment before handing it to the next.

The bag was returned to Haldir with one slip in it, but he didn't bother to open it and see what his task would be as he began to write down the list of what the others had been assigned to. "First off, who is on the Tree and Decorations committee?" Elrond, Valarda, and Elladan raised their hands. "Gifts and Invitations?" Celebdreth, Elrohir, and Celeborn raised theirs.

Haldir finished writing the names and then said in a worried voice, "I nearly hate to ask, but Cookies and Feast?" Orophin's hand shot in the air, and Haldir shook his head. "Better you're there than on the Singing and Games committee, lesser of two evils and all." He recorded Orophin's name along with Rumil's and Nenniach's. "That leaves... Nana... and Celebrian... and... who else is Singing and... oh, damn." Haldir reached into the bag and pulled out his slip of paper.