Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Deep notes happily danced through the air to frolic against the splash of the waves, while above them a high-pitched mournful tune drew itself out across the bass. It did not attempt to overpower the happiness, but the sadness of the high melody suffocated the harmony until at last Legolas threw his clarinet into the sand. Haldir abruptly stopped playing and withdrew the flute from his lips. “What?”

“I thought you invited me out here to play music,” huffed Legolas angrily.

“Isn’t that what we were doing?”

“It is what I was doing.” Legolas quickly picked up the instrument and inspected it in the fading light of the sunset as he brushed the stray grains of sand from it. “But you are weeping my friend, and I cannot concentrate.”

“Weeping, Legolas? My eyes are dry,” countered Haldir, sliding his fingers along the ancient wooden flute, tracing the elvish characters down the side.

Legolas scooted to the edge of the log he was on to join Haldir on the sandy ground. “You do not think you can be honest with them.” He nodded his head in the direction of the First Homely House of Valinor in the distance, far enough away so that those resting in the house did not hear the duet. “Not completely. You fear that they would judge you, that they would not understand. I know what you tell them, and I know what you don’t tell them. Has it not always been this way with us?”

Haldir turned his flute in his hands, saying nothing. His eyes stung, and as he blinked, a stray drop fell and hit the sand, seeping into the ground and marking it.

Legolas placed his arm around Haldir’s shoulder and slipped the flute from the other elf, setting it onto the log. “I truly doubt any of them would think less of you, but confide in me, for I will never tell a soul what thoughts trouble your heart.”

Everything he swore he would never quite say was said, all the dark secrets that had been kept hidden for centuries. The love he had for Arwen, the constant hope he had that she would come to him. Grief, when he found her heart would never be his. Hope once more, that she might come to the west instead of fade. Helplessness, finding he had no power over such things. There were other things Haldir admitted in the darkness, his head bowed first in sorrow, then resting on the shoulder of his friend as he cried.

“There will come a time when this burden you carry is lifted, and your heart is at peace,” Legolas assured him.

“You can’t know that,” Haldir sighed, leaning against the other elf.

Legolas placed his cheek on the top of Haldir’s head and closed his eyes. “No, I can’t, but I feel it will happen. I do not think such a child of the Valar was ever meant to suffer as you have. There is someone who loves you, of that I am sure. I can only hope one day you will love them in return.”

“How can my heart ever again feel whole?” he wondered. “So long I pushed my thoughts aside, until it became too late for them. And now I grieve."

“Why do you grieve?” asked Legolas in confusion.

“Because, Legolas,” whispered Haldir, “Arwen is dead.” He swallowed hard, shaking at this admission. “She is dead,” he repeated, as if he was trying to convince himself.

“Nay, Haldir, she is not dead. She is just sleeping until the time when Eru will call us together for the next verse of his song. One day, Haldir, one day you will see her again,” Legolas assured him.

“She will never be mine,” Haldir whispered.

“No,” agreed Legolas softly. “But was she ever meant to be?” Sighing, Legolas looked across the sea as a pale moon was rising, and then leaned forward to look again.

Sitting up, Haldir tried to find what Legolas had suddenly become interested in. “What can you see on the horizon?” questioned Haldir, looking more intently over the water.

“A light on the water...” he said, and then nearly jumping up, shouted, “A ship! A grey ship passes!” He ran toward the surf, and even through the surge of water continued to run toward the swiftly moving vessel. “It is the ship that carries Lord Glorfindel and Master Erestor! At last, they have come into the west!” he shouted.

Clearing the remaining thoughts of sorrow from his head for now, Haldir smiled and picked up their instruments. “I shall alert the household,” he called as he jogged in the direction of the house.

- - -

It was still over an hour before the ship was close enough to shore so that the anchor could be dropped. Although initially everyone came outside when Haldir alerted them, most returned in from the cold night air to wait until the ship came closer. Only Haldir, Legolas, and Celebdreth remained, watching in silence as the ship inched closer and closer. The vessel moved slowly and was low in the water – likely, as had been predicted, Erestor had brought nearly every last book in Imladris with them. He was standing now at an opening at the bow of the ship, sliding a long plank out the front that would be used to create a makeshift dock of sorts. Ropes were thrown to shore and the ship was secured before the few who were on the vessel stepped onto the beach.

“Where is everyone?” questioned Celebdreth.

“I was about to ask the same,” Erestor said, embracing his grandson. “How bad is Valinor?”

Celebdreth grinned. “I’m glad now that I came. I know I was hesitant, but you were right. I have things to tell you, many wonderful things. Everything is just fine here, and everyone came as you said they would.”

Hugging him once again, he said apologetically, “Not everyone, pen-neth. Forgive me, but there are some who are destined to stay.”

“Not Glorfindel!” Celebdreth looked as if he might burst into tears, and it was lucky that the golden-haired warrior chose that moment to step down the makeshift dock.

“Not Glorfindel!” shouted Glorfindel himself. “The last time I was here, they would not even allow me a day! I plan never to leave these shores again!” Behind him, carefully minding his way, was Asfaloth.

“Glorfindel!” Celebdreth looked upon the white horse and asked, “That isn’t the same one you’ve had all this time, is it?”

“Aye,” responded Glorfindel as Asfaloth gently stepped onto the sand. He rubbed the horse’s neck affectionately and said in a soft voice, “See, now, I brought you home. Back to your master, I’m sure he’s here somewhere.” He removed the blanket from the horse’s back and smiled sadly. “You’ve been a good companion, Nahar.” Nahar brushed his head against Glorfindel’s shoulder. “Go on, before I cry. Shoo, go on, I’m sure he’s expecting you.”

Instead of leaving, Nahar followed Glorfindel as others slowly trickled out of the doors of the house. When Celebrian approached, holding a tiny golden-haired elfling in her arms, the babe was taken by Glorfindel and passed to Celebdreth before the warrior took hold of Celebrian by her waist and spun her around and around until she complained she was dizzy though she laughed and kissed Glorfindel’s cheek once she was on solid ground again. “It is so very good to see you again, my lady,” replied Glorfindel as he bowed to her with tears in his aqua eyes.

“Likewise, Glorfindel. You have been missed by all.” She then went to Erestor and threw her arms around his neck. “And, you, Erestor. We hoped we might see you both walk one day upon these shores.”

“Today is that day!” he said happily. “You’re all stuck with me now,” he merrily laughed as none had heard him before. Nenniach stepped toward them, carrying a small elfling with dark hair. “Lady Nenniach!” Glorfindel embraced her best he could without jostling her small charge. “A little sister for Celebdreth?”

“Nay, a little sister for the twins,” she said, handing the bundle to Celebrian.

“My lady,” Glorfindel said, grinning widely, so joyful at the reunions and new meetings he looked as if he might burst. “Celebrian, dear lady, she is a beautiful one.” He snapped his fingers as if suddenly remembering something. “I have someone to introduce to you,” he said, looking back at the ship. At the end of the dock stood an elf with dark hair, and behind him, an elleth with strands of silver in her dark mane.

“Melpomaen,” called out Celebrian to the elf she knew.

“Aye, it is me,” replied the small hesitant voice. “I am here.”

“Well, come here, then,” giggled Celebrian, extending one hand toward him and holding the elfling with the other arm. “What a wonderful surprise to see you here, to have you finally home,” she said, putting an arm around him and giving him a bit of a hug.

“Yes, thank you,” he replied meekly, looking around with a slightly terrified look.

“Lady Celebrian,” announced Glorfindel, leading the elleth over, “May I present to you the Lady Elodien, your youngest granddaughter.”

“Elodien. I’ve heard your name before.” Celebrian handed the sleeping elfling to a wide-eyed Melpomaen before taking hold of her granddaughter’s hands. “You have made the choice to come and live with us here, in the undying lands. That takes great courage.”

“I’m very excited to be here,” answered Elodien.

“Elodien?”

Turning to look around Glorfindel, the elleth spied a familiar looking elf. “Haldir! My word, how wonderful to see you again! Last time, I had to be no higher than your knee,” she said, giving her grandmother’s hands a squeeze before moving to the elf. “I recall the lessons you gave to my brother and sisters and I, the fun we had on picnics during the spring.”

“And now you’re all grown,” commented Haldir. “All grown up into a beautiful young elleth.”

Rolling her eyes, she said, “Young. I’m old and grey is what I am,” she said, tucking the silver that streaked her dark hairs on either side of her head behind her ears.

“Old and grey?” Haldir laughed. “Listen to her, Legolas. Old and grey, and she’s barely a hundred, if my count is right,” he said. When he was given no response, he looked to see that Legolas had walked off toward the house. “Legolas?”

“He’s probably retrieving the others,” said Erestor. “I’ll see if I can’t help him rouse the rest of the household.” Erestor followed Legolas, nearly catching up to him as the door of house opened and a tall figure stepped out. Erestor stopped in his tracks, Celebrian smiled and gave a wave, and Melpomaen shrank back behind Glorfindel as Legolas dodged through the door. The lord of the house stepped out into the starlight and took a long look around.

Elrond flew from the porch faster than anyone had seen him run in quite a long time. Stopping before Erestor, he paused for a moment, perhaps deciding if he was standing before a mirage, and then pulled him into a close embrace that Erestor gladly accepted. When Elrond released him, he took hold of Erestor’s arm and said, “I apologize for leaving the burden of Imladris in your hands.”

“It was no burden,” Erestor assured him. “It was... enjoyable. Quite enjoyable. It is still standing, last of the Elven Realms, save Ithilien. You will forgive my not staying longer to see which of the two would outlast the other.”

Elrond smiled. “It would be a shame not to have a mystery or two to think about.”

“Ithilien remains in the capable hands of the few elves of Greenwood and East Lorien who have chosen to stay and dwell there. Elrond, you will be pleased to know that Lord Saelbeth keeps your house and realm guarded; it serves as a final sanctuary for our kin, and is now hidden far better than Gondolin and Doriath could ever have hoped to be.”

“Thank you for taking care of it for me,” said Elrond. “I am glad you have finally come to Valinor. Is it not paradise?”

Erestor took hold of Elrond’s hands in his and squeezed them. “Aye, it is,” he said as Orophin came out of the house, waving and bounding over to his old tutor. Valarda laughed as she followed, shaking her head as she approached as well.

Something caught Elrond’s eye and he looked down at Erestor’s hands. Missing were the jeweled rings he wore while in service to Rivendell, even the faux Vilya that he had once worn if ever the need came for him to pretend to have been the Lord of Imladris. Replacing all these was a simple golden band, and Elrond looked up once more at Erestor. “You’re married?”

Erestor glanced behind him and smiled as the others he had shared the ship with talked with Haldir and Rumil. “As I said, remaining in Imladris was no burden.”

“Why, Erestor!” Orophin waggled his brows. “You sly dog, you,” he teased. “Keeping her hidden away – clever, but now I’m going to tell her all about you,” he said gleefully. Valarda smacked his shoulder and shook her head, but was grinning as well.

Elrond smiled slyly and patted Erestor’s shoulder as the recently arrived elf bit his lip and turned around completely. Elrond glared at Orophin, and then put his arm around Erestor. “I can understand how your time would have been quite enjoyable. ‘Tis about time the Valar blessed you with someone. Tell me, who is she?” he asked, nodding toward the elleth with the silver and ebon hair.

Behind them, Legolas had emerged, but now began to edge backwards toward the house once more.

“To answer your question,” Erestor said slowly, “she is your granddaughter. Her name is Elodien,” he added, and to the look Elrond gave him, he said, “However, she’s not my wife.”

“But who then? She did come, did she not?” Elrond looked back to the small party in confusion. “You said there were only four on this vessel – is there another ship?”

“No, my lord.”

Orophin tilted his head as he looked at the other passengers. “Don’t tell me you married the horse,” he said, watching Asfaloth/Nahar paw at the sand impatiently. He was glared at by both elflords and his wife. “I mean, I know you like horses, but-“

At that moment, the fairest of the elves who had stepped from the boat looked in the direction of the few up further on the beach and grinned at Erestor before accepting the small dark-haired bundle that Celebrian handed him. Erestor smiled softly in turn at Glorfindel. Elrond’s eyes widened, Valarda’s jaw dropped, and Orophin nearly passed out.

“No! It cannot be!” His mouth was gaping and he pointed from one to the other in disbelief. Suddenly he straightened and folded his arms before himself. “It’s a trick. It’s all a game,” he reasoned. “Never happen. It’s foolish.” Orophin didn’t seem as convinced as he sounded, though, and Elrond had yet to say anything as Galadriel and Celeborn came from the house. Celebdreth approached and placed the golden-curled elfling into Galadriel’s arms before running back to speak once more to Melpomaen, who continuously stole glances at Elrond.

“Oh...” Erestor gently touched the cheek of the tiny baby and smiled softly when her eyes fluttered open. “She’s gorgeous. Obviously takes after her mother,” he complimented.

“Would you like to hold her?” offered Galadriel. Knowing the answer, she placed the child in Erestor’s arms. “Celeborn named her Tallasinde.”

“Beautiful. Born in the autumn, then?” asked Erestor, cradling her against his chest.

Galadriel nodded as Celeborn put his arm around her and pulled her close. “Haldir had another name for her, but it was terribly long and we feared none of us would remember it.”

Erestor chuckled as he slowly rocked the elfling when she looked as if she might cry, shifting his weight to either foot to simulate the movement of a cradle. “It’s remarkable to find all of you here in the same place, and yet, just the one house, unless I am mistaken.”

“The First Homely House of Valinor,” Orophin said proudly, patting Elrond – who still hadn’t said a thing or even moved – on the back. “The inland is heavily populated, and for those of us who have spent so long surrounded by so many others, this cozy home suits us well. Elrond anticipated your arrival, in fact, and had rooms built for you, and for Glorfindel.”

“We wouldn’t want to be a burden,” Erestor said, looking at Elrond worriedly.

“Nonsense,” replied Galadriel. “It would be wonderful having you here. We’ve missed you. ‘Tis good to have you home.”

Erestor did not make eye contact with Galadriel as he handed Tallasinde back to her. “I perhaps do not think it would be a good idea. We have plenty of room on the ship. Our plan had been to find a suitable place to dock it and live aboard the vessel. In all honesty, we discussed going to Tol Eressea and living there.”

“Tol Eressea is uninhabited,” Celeborn said with a frown. “How would you get food or supplies? No ships travel there anymore.”

“It sounds perfect, then,” Erestor said decidedly. “As for our needs, I might be out of practice, but I’d wager I’m still a decent farmer.”

“Ah, then you’ll be competition,” winked Celeborn.

Erestor smirked. “How’s that?”

“Oh, haven’t you guessed, then? That’s what we do here. There’s corn mostly, among other things, and we supply maple syrup late in the year.”

“Do you?” Erestor shifted his gaze to Galadriel, who was now concentrating on looking down at the baby. “What is it you do, if I might inquire?”

After a lengthy pause, she looked up and answered, “I suppose I’m just the farmer’s wife.”

“Ah. A noble role,” Erestor said as he felt a hand upon his shoulder. His eyes held hers for a brief moment, then he smiled as he turned and was handed a different bundled elfling.

“You won’t believe what they’ve named her, Ress, it’s so darling,” exclaimed Glorfindel. “She’s Vilya, but not for the ring exactly. In honor of Ereinion is why. Is she not sweet?”

“Aye, she is,” smiled Erestor, stroking the cooing elfling’s cheek.

Glorfindel grinned and ticked the baby’s chin with his fingers. “I’m being forced into the house against my will to see something. I shall return when I am able, or you might think to join me,” he said, kissing Erestor on the cheek before looking at the elfling once more. “Elrond, she has your eyes!” he added, but received no response before following the twins into the house.

Quite a lengthy awkward silence followed as pairs and small groups wandered back to the house, with promises of cocoa in the parlor, and baked apples and jam. It was when Erestor and Elrond remained on the beach, with Haldir near his log staring out across the sea that the lord of the house finally spoke.

“You should... stay here for the night at least,” he said. “It’s bitterly cold, and everyone will want to see you anyway.”

Erestor hesitated as Glorfindel came back outside. “Ress, you have to come and see the inside! They have a flamingo! I always wanted a flamingo!” To this, Erestor and Elrond could not help but chuckle.

“I should see to having the beds turned down and the linens refreshed, as we were not expecting you quite at this time,” apologized Elrond. “I look forward to speaking to you both in a short while,” he said, walking to the house. As he reached Glorfindel, he smiled warmly and embraced him. “Welcome home.”

“Thank you, Elrond,” he replied. “It is so very good to see you all again.”

The Peredhel nodded and walked up the stairs and into the house, leaving the door ajar just a crack. Glorfindel slipped his arm around Erestor’s waist when he finally stood next to him. “That didn’t go so terribly bad, did it?”

Erestor shook his head. “No. Yes, and no. But a little, yes, but... no one ran off screaming, that has to be a good sign,” he said hopefully. He weaved his arm around Glorfindel’s back and began to walk toward the sea where Haldir stood. “I promised a good friend of mine that I would introduce you to him when I reached these shores,” he said when he and Glorfindel were close enough for Haldir to hear them.

Turning, Haldir had a playful smile on his lips. “Living for thousands of years in the same house with someone, knowing them for millennia, and suddenly finding out one day that you’ve been bonded without knowledge or consent since the beginning of the Third Age. I should have guessed who it was.”

“Oh, but then this wouldn’t be necessary,” Erestor said nervously. Clearing his throat, he stood up straight and said, “Haldir, I’d like you to meet my husband, Lord Glorfindel of the House of the Golden Flower.”

“The stranger part of this is,” said Haldir as he and Glorfindel mockingly shook the hand of the other, “is that Glorfindel is cousin by birth and blood to me, while you, Erestor, are related only through having adopted my sister-in-law. It should be Glorfindel who is introducing you.”

“Well, now, in that case,” Glorfindel said, letting go of Haldir’s hand, “allow me to present, dear Cousin Haldir, my most beloved and beautiful husband, chief of the House of the Silver Stars, Lord Erestor.” He kissed the burning cheek of his husband.

“Stop that,” admonished Erestor, trying to hide his flushed face. “Come, we should go inside before they send a search party to find us.”

“Excellent idea. Haldir, it was nice meeting you,” joked Glorfindel as they walked to the house.

“Likewise,” called out Haldir as he watched the pair walk to the door and the lighted windows along the porch. Glorfindel leaned a few times over to say something in confidence to Erestor, who returned the comments with smiles or playful punches. Haldir gazed out over the sea. “Erestor and Glorfindel,” he said to himself, trying to decide exactly what he thought of it. “Perhaps there is hope for me yet.”