Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
With two new arrivals expected in the First Homely House, Elrond and Rumil had come to a decision about the plans for the new addition: they just weren’t going to work. Instead, Orophin had suggested another idea – the simple duplication of the house, attached via a walkway on the second floors, thereby doubling the size of the entire house. Rumil merely redrew the plans, in reverse, and once the area was staked off that would join the two buildings, the construction began. It wasn’t as difficult to rebuild the house as building it the first time had been, now that more than two elves were working on it. It seemed an even more enjoyable task for Elrond and Celebrian. Even though they had more or less spent what could be equated to a second honeymoon building the First Homely House, the additional family members made the construction even more special.

It was an odd experience for the Lorien brothers, who could have built a habitable flet in the matter of a few hours, and one with all the amenities of tree life in less than a week. The small tasks involved in building the large structure either amazed them, or frustrated them.

“If the clay has to dry anyway,” moaned Orophin in exasperation, “why don’t we just make a big frame the size of the building and let it dry in shape? Wouldn’t that take less time than making small ones and putting them all together later?”

Elrond proceeded to explain structural integrity.

“Instead of figuring out where the windows and doors are going to be now,” suggested Haldir, “can we not just cut the holes in the wood and brick later when we decide where they are needed?”

Elrond proceeded to emphasize structural integrity.

“Instead of building a whole new house,” Celebdreth said, “we should just build three more floors onto the old one.”

Elrond proceeded to take a nap.

The majority of the work on the new house only took place while Elrond was available to oversee the project. In the meantime, smaller tasks, such as painting walls and setting the patio could be done now that the majority of the work had been completed. Many of the elves had grouped themselves into twos and threes and set off doing what they most enjoyed of the necessary jobs. When not working with Elrond, Celebrian would find herself helping Haldir, after finding he usually opted to do things on his own.

Today found them painting a large room on the north part of the new building’s second story pale green, from floor to ceiling, with the ceiling staying white. They had worked from the top of the walls to the bottom, and were on opposite ends of the room, carefully finished the very bottom of the walls.

“Still not sure what I’m going to tell him when he realizes I’m not going to need the nursery,” Celebrian said, interrupting the calm silence they had been working in.

“Still not sure what I’m going to tell him when he realizes you’re not going to need the nursery.” Haldir dipped his brush into the paint pot, letting the excess run back down to the bottom of it. “I lied to him first, I can’t imagine him being thrilled about that.”

“I don’t want to keep lying to him. Honestly, Halli, do you see it or not? You keep telling me it is going to happen, but I just don’t feel it.”

Haldir carefully planned his answer, but didn’t have a chance to respond. Above them voices were rising rapidly, and not in song or merriment. “Now what?” Haldir growled, letting the brush drop into the paint can. Celebrian followed him out of the room and up the stairs, where they found Rumil, Nenniach, Orophin, and Valarda in the hallway. “Nana and Ada?” Four heads nodded. Haldir walked past and through the doorway into the room where Celeborn and Galadriel were.

Celeborn was standing near the center of the room, arms crossed, and looking rather upset. Galadriel had elbows propped on the open space where a window would eventually go, head in her hands, leaning slightly out, still murmuring something rather uncomplimentary about her husband. ‘At least I’m not walking into them yelling at each other like last time,’ thought Haldir as he strategically entered the room and placed himself between them, careful not to be closer to one or the other. Nothing was said for some time until he offered the congenial, “It is a lovely day out.”

“That is exactly what I was trying to tell her!” Celeborn thrust his arms in the direction of Galadriel, who turned to glare at Haldir. “It is a lovely day, and not one to be spent indoors. All I suggested is that we step out and have a picnic or something of that nature, even a simple walk along the beach.”

Haldir looked over to his mother cautiously, noting her fists were now balled up at her sides, and her glare was focused on Celeborn. “All I pointed out was that if he would help us with this house half as much of the time he spends drinking in town with Thranduil, I would have the time to have a picnic or a walk.” Her eyes narrowed. “Tell him what you said to that, darling.”

‘Not good,’ thought Haldir, ‘definitely not good.’ He tossed a look over his back, noting that everyone else had stayed in the hall. Celeborn mumbled something, and Haldir turned his attention back to the conversation at hand. “Beg your pardon?”

“I told her it... I told her that we wouldn’t-“

Celeborn was cut off by snort of disdain from Galadriel. “Go ahead, you were elf enough to say it to me, go ahead and say it to him.”

Celeborn cleared his throat and started again. “I told her we wouldn’t be stuck putting such a large addition on this house if she hadn’t decided to have another child. And that she and I have a perfectly good house that never gets used just up the road and just once in the next year I’d like to see if we might actually make it back to our own bed for more than a week’s time.” There were a number of gasps from the hallway as Celeborn finished, and Galadriel turned back to the window.

“Well, that...” Haldir glanced over his shoulder again, expecting backup but finding none. “That was very rude. And mean. It’s not like she could just go and get pregnant all by herself, Ada!” Haldir stopped himself momentarily, surprised at the tone of his own voice. “And there isn’t very much you can do about it now, either.”

“Tell him what you told me we should do about it.”

Celeborn rolled his eyes. “I wasn’t serious.”

“Tell him,” snapped Galadriel, but she didn’t allow him the chance to speak. “He suggested that we pray to the Valar to send it back.”

“Send it back? I don’t think you have that option.” Haldir now found himself the recipient of an icy stare from Celeborn.

“Celeborn the Wise…you really don’t sound very wise making comments like that,” Galadriel added.

“Nana!” Haldir’s eyes were wide with disbelief. “I can’t say I agree with Adar’s behavior, but I can understand now why he acts as he does! This is ridiculous. You spent thousands of years together, the two elves that I never thought I'd live to see raise voice against one another, the two elves that I thought loved each other more than any others. Truly, you are both insane.” Both parents tried to protest, but Haldir raised a hand in either direction. “I’ve heard enough. This is stupid, and silly, and I’m not going to be a party to it. I’m going to go guard the Northern Fences.”

“There are no Northern Fences. In Valinor,” Celeborn said dryly.

Haldir’s jaw twitched. He took a moment, not wanting to participate in the yelling portion of the discussion. “Then I shall find some.” He walked from the room with as much grace as he could muster, considering the circumstances. He continued to walk down the hallway and around his siblings and in-laws that had been listening to the conversation.

“Where are you going to go, Haldir?” asked Orophin, placing a hand on his brother’s arm as he walked to the stairs.

“To the Northern Fences,” he said, as if it was as plain as anything.

“I shall accompany you,” decided Rumil, following along. The others began to fall in line behind Haldir as they made their descent to the first floor, finding the twins and Celebdreth sanding the banister.

“Where is everyone going?” Celebdreth asked his father.

“Northern Fences,” Rumil replied. Celebdreth exchanged confused looks with his cousins.

“Why?" he finally ventured as his mother passed.

“I did not hear it all, but your Grandfather is under the impression that the Valar can just ‘send back’ an elfling,” Nenniach told him. Her son and nephews took up the rear of the procession.

- - -

“Explain to me again why I’m here and not in my bed.” Elrond had wrapped his cloak around himself tightly, and was quite upset that he didn’t have any hot tea or cider to drink. At the very least, brandy would do, but it seemed no one had the foresight to bring even that.

“Guarding the Northern Fences.” Elladan looked once more at the tree they had found near the northernmost part of the shore.

Looked down once more at the tree.

From where he was sitting.

“Couldn’t you have found something more substantial? Maybe a rock or, I don’t know, an actual fence?” Elrohir drew up his knees, huddling closer to Elladan. “They call our house silly, and they don’t even have a real fence to guard.”

“How long are we staying out here, Captain?” questioned Elrond. “For although you seem to be content to feel the chill of the evening breeze, my sons and I are not.”

“I believe he is trying to make a point to them.” Celebrian placed an arm around Elrond and he sighed, tilting his head to rest against her shoulder. “You do have some sort of reason for all this, don’t you?”

Haldir was at the front of the group, leaning on his bow, which was stuck straight up in the sand. The other elves sat around the tree, the moon’s glow and reflection on the waters providing enough illumination for them. The First Homely House was still in sight, and Haldir had his eyes focused upon it. “That we are not going to stand for their arguments any longer. That we will not be chased out of the house by their bickering.”

“Haldir, not to burst your bubble, but we were chased out of the house by their bickering,” Valarda informed him.

Haldir digested this information, but said nothing in return. A pair of elves emerged from the First Homely House, and those guarding the ‘Northern Fences’ now began to stand.

As Celeborn and Galadriel approached, arm and arm, one would have mistaken this for the Golden Woods, by the regal way in which they walked across the sand, as if they had themselves summoned those by the tree and were coming now to greet them. They slowed as they approached, and Galadriel nodded to Celeborn, motioning that he should speak first if he desired. The elf lord opened his mouth to speak.

“Daro!” Haldir lifted his bow from out of the ground, and took a few steps in their direction. “You are forbidden to enter these woods.”

Celeborn closed his mouth, looking to the left, then to the right. Galadriel nudged him, and nodded toward the seedling.

“Wait just a moment!” Orophin pushed forward, shoving Haldir behind him. “You left the forest and went to Greenwood. You forfeited your title as Captain of the Golden Woods. I get to call the shots on the Northern Fences.”

Valarda tapped her husband on the shoulder. “I think you forget your rank, Warden.”

Orophin blushed slightly. “Oh. Right then. You’re the Captain, love.” He motioned her forward, and Valarda wretched Haldir’s bow from his hands, stepping in front of the tree. She eyes up the lord and lady, looked down at the tree behind her, and began to laugh. “It’s a twig. A bloody twig, I’m guarding a twig.” She walked past Orophin and Haldir, handing the bow to Rumil. “You’re next in command, you go be Captain of the Golden Stick.”

Rumil tried to pass the bow back. “I am content to be a house elf, if you please. No more guarding trees for me.”

“Oh, honestly.” Celebrian marched forward, taking the bow as she went past. “Daro!”

“No, no, dear, it’s Darr-Oh, not dah-Roh,” corrected Valarda.

“Daro,” tried Celebrian again, quieter and to the group.

“More Darr-oh, less Dare-oh,” Rumil suggested. “Daro. Daro,” he repeated, and Celebrian nodded.

“I say Daro ‘dah-Roh’, too,” Nenniach defended. “She had it right the first time, it’s just the Imladrish accent.”

“Imladrish accent.” Haldir crossed his arms in disbelief. “There is no such thing.”

“No me gusta Imladris,” added Orophin, grinning as he slung an arm around Haldir’s shoulder and leaned onto his brother. “You shouldn’t talk, Haldir, you’ve developed a Mirkwood tinge to your speech.”

“Absurd,” countered the shorter elf, “you must be mistaken.”

“Say Daro,” insisted Orophin.

Haldir looked around the crowd, noticing they were all listening. “Daro.”

“By the Valar, Oro, I think you’re right,” nodded Rumil.

“I rest my case.”

Celebrian cleared her throat and shoved the bow into the sand. “Daro!” she proclaimed.

“Very nice!”

“Excellent!”

“Good job.”

Everyone assembled, with the exception of Celeborn and Galadriel, were clapping politely. Celebrian gave nods and smiles in the general direction of the crowd.

“They’ve all gone mad,” whispered Celeborn to his wife.

“Daro!” repeated Celebrian. “You are forbidden to enter these woods!” She spread her free arm around, motioning to the tree behind her.

Staring down at the seedling, Celeborn finally said, “We don’t want to enter these woods. We just wanted to let you know we’ve come to an agreement. And that we are not fighting anymore.”

“Not fighting anymore, or not fighting anymore until tomorrow?” Orophin was silenced by a slap on the arm by Valarda.

“We are not fighting. Anymore.” Galadriel pulled herself closer to Celeborn. “We would like to make apology to everyone for the distress that the situation had caused.”

Celeborn nodded. “We will live with all of you in the house, if you would still have us. And Galadriel will have the elfling. Of course,” he added hastily.

“Are you sure you don’t want to discuss it further?” prodded Haldir. “Wait until it gets here, and then if you don’t like it, we could maybe see if the Valar would let us put it back?”

“Uncle,” frowned Elrohir, “that was most uncalled for.”

“If we’re done here,” Elrond announced, cloak tightly wrapped around him, “I am going back to the house. My house,” he said, pointing to himself for emphasis. “And in my house, there will be hot chocolate and cider for those who wish to join me in my parlor. Good evening to those who would rather stand here and freeze.” He rounded up his sons and nephew and took a step in the direction of the First Homely House.

And stepped on the forest.

“Ai! The Northern Fences!” Orophin threw himself to the ground next to the seedling. “You broke it!”

“Someone call the healer!” Valarda called out, and then dramatically added, “Wait, don’t call the healer!”

Rumil stooped down, examining the tree. “I don’t think it’s quite dead yet. We could prop it up or something.”

“I don’t think so,” disagreed Valarda. “It lacks structural integrity.”

“Strucsawhat?”

Elrond stopped in his tracks, trudged back to the tree, and yanked it out of the ground. Nearly everyone gasped in shock or jumped back in mild surprise. “There. That is that. The Northern Fences are dead, long live the Northern Fences. Refreshments in the parlor. Ten minutes.” With that, he tossed the tree onto the ground and continued to walk to the First Homely House.

Celebrian nudged the tree with her toe. “Well, no sense in guarding it now.” She handed the bow back to Haldir and followed after Elrond.

Orophin studied the tree. “We could-“

“No,” said Haldir.

“But if we-“

“No,” Haldir repeated, pulling Orophin up from the ground with Valarda’s help.

“It hardly had a chance!” Orophin wailed, then straightened up and took the lead. “He did say there was going to be hot chocolate, did he not?”

Rumil glanced at the ground, then at his parents, and then at his wife. “Shall we?” he asked, offering his arm to her. They left Celeborn and Galadriel standing on the shore in front of the seedling.

“I think that went rather well,” remarked Celeborn.

“Hmm. Hot chocolate.” Galadriel laid a hand on her belly, tilting her head as she looked down. “No? You want cider? And cookies. I think we might find some cookies.” Pulling herself away from Celeborn, she began to wander back to the house.

Celeborn bent over and picked up the remains of the tree. “Perhaps we might talk about what to name the elfling later. I’ve never been able to name any of our children, you know,” he added with a hint of sadness.

“She already has a name. I told you weeks ago that Haldir has named her.” Galadriel continued along, whispering downwards, “Honestly, one would wonder if your father were going senile.”

“Senile!” snorted Celeborn. “You’re years older than I am, by the time I go senile-“ Celeborn bit his lip as Galadriel turned, eyes narrowed. “Well, what I mean, it is that, actually- Oh, bugger.” Celeborn hung his head, shoulders drooped as Galadriel approached.

Galadriel reached out and took Celeborn’s face in her hands. “I love it when you stick your foot in your mouth, because you only do it around me.” She moved forward, her lips close to his, brushing against them as she spoke. “I love that we are having this elfling together, because you are a wonderful father and it would truly be a shame not to raise another child.” Celeborn’s arms wrapped around his wife as she continued. “More than anything else, Celeborn, I love you.”

“Love you too, Galadriel.”

“Mmm.” She closed her eyes. “I love it when you say my name.”

“See? I’m not that bad at naming elves.”

They kissed for some time, moonlight making them visible to anyone who might have come down to the beach. Galadriel slid the tree slowly out of Celeborn’s grasp, and broke away as soon as she had hold of it. Celeborn raised his brows in confusion, until he was smacked three or four times with the tree. “I am not old. Never say that again,” she warned, waving the remains of the Northern Fences at him.

“I never said you were old,” countered Celeborn. “I said you were-” Celeborn took a step back as the tree was raised. “-lovely, and caring, and passionate, and didn’t you want cookies? Galadriel?” Celeborn pulled her arms down to her sides and kissed her on the nose. “Galadriel? Cookies?”

Galadriel tossed the tree aside. “Love some.” She took hold of his arm and they walked toward the First Homely House.