Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Look at all of the elflings in their costumes,” Orophin remarks to Haldir. “I think that young elleth over there who is dressed as a lamb is just darling.”

“And that scarecrow, look at him,” Rumil nearly squeals. “Look at his hat, and the way the straw is sticking out of his tunic, isn’t it darling?”

Haldir blinks and turns to Rumil. “Rumil, that’s your son.”

“Yes, and he’s just such a cutie.”

“Rumil,” Orophin says after a long pause, “he’s over three thousand years old!”

“And it’s so nice of him to make the day extra special for the elflings by wearing a costume, too. Look, he’s even got a little sack for treats.” Rumil nudges Haldir and said, “Remember when you used to lead the elflings around? You were a corsair once, with that sword and that hooked hand, and then another time you were a nazgul.”

“That was a little creepy,” nods Orophin as he recalls it.

“I did enjoy that,” says Haldir. “Maybe next year I shall volunteer to help led them around.”

Rumil grins. “Too bad I never got to see you in a costume as an elfling. I bet you were a cute little whatever you were.”

“Cute? No,” argues Haldir. “I always favored scary over cute.”

“Always?”

The three brothers turn to see a blonde leaned against a tree, a few tendrils of hair wet from bobbing for apples. He shines his prize on his sleeve before biting into the crisp fruit. “I recall that one year-“

“-I got so many treats I made myself sick and so I never dressed up as anything cuddly again,” Haldir says rather quickly, cheeks beginning to flush.

Legolas grins. “Oh, is that your version? I remember a much different story.”

“That you’re going to share,” prompts Rumil.

“With us,” adds Orophin, stepping up to lead Legolas between them so that they can hear the tale. Haldir grumbles and stomps off. “Hey, where are you going?” calls Orophin.

“To drown myself in the barrel that the apples are in!” he shouts back.

Orophin waves his hand in a shooing motion. “Oh, go on then, Legolas, what was he?”

Legolas grins and recalls the tale…



“I don’wanna go.”

“Oh, you look so cute, though. Doesn’t he look cute, Celebrian?” Galadriel glanced over at her daughter, who was biting her sleeve to keep from laughing. “Oh, nevermind.” Turning back to the little elfling, she said, “Now, come on, there are treats and tricks waiting for you. Come on, Haldir, get up off the floor.”

“Not going,” said the future marchwarden, putting his foot down.

Galadriel sighed. “You are simply adorable. You must go, this is to be your first time through the forest. It’s fun.”

“If it’s so fun,” complained Haldir, tugging on the ears that were tied to his head, “you can go ‘stead of me.”

Hanging her head, and then turning to give a wary look at her giggling daughter, Galadriel was tapped on the shoulder. “Haldir,” said Celeborn as he moved past his wife to where Haldir was on the floor, arms crossed, frown in place, “would you like to walk with me to the different homes tonight?”

Looking up, Haldir did not see his father, but a giant skunk over six feet tall looking down at him. Glancing over the elder elf, Haldir finally conceded, and gave a nod as he thrust his hand up for Celeborn to take. Celeborn pulled him up to his feet, dusted off the bunny suit the elfling was wearing, and led him toward the door.

“Wait, you’ve forgotten the tail!” insisted Galadriel. She took the puffy fluffy bit of fur and tied it with some yarn around Haldir’s waist. He looked as if he were about to object, but then Celeborn waggled his backside, causing his black and white tail to wiggle. Haldir laughed, and he and Celeborn left the flet in search of tricks and treats.