Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“We’re nearly out of apples, Ada,” says Elrohir, holding up the last basket of shiny red fruits.

Elladan plucks one out of the basket. “That’s probably a good thing, most of the elflings are falling asleep, and everyone is getting ready for the party afterwards,” he remarks before biting into his apple.

Elrond closes his eyes and shakes his head, still unable to say anything to his sons.

“What?” grins Elladan, sitting down on the bench next to where his father has been overseeing the Bob for Apples booth. “Don’t tell me you and Uncle Elros never dressed alike for Trick or Treating.”

“No, we never did,” Elrond finally blurted out. “And honestly, never in... in... anything like that!” he says, waving his hand up and down and between his sons.

Elladan leans against his father as he eats his apple. “You should be proud of us, dressed up like healers. Just like you!”

“No, not just like me!” Elrond crosses his arms. “It’s a good thing your mother isn’t here to see this.”
Elrohir brushes a bit of dirt off of his skirt, which is cut much shorter than a female healer would typically wear such a garment. "You do know Nana sewed these for us, don't you?" he asked, taking off the apprentice cap and smoothing his hair back before placing it back on his head.


“As they say, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” Elladan takes another bite and continues to grin. “There must have been some point when you were an elfling when you put on a dress. I mean, you’re constantly wearing these robes, there must be a reason for it.”

Elrond, despite trying to remain calm, blushes. “It’s very boring, and a very long story, and-“

“Storytime!” Elrohir skids to a stop, nearly toppling over in his heels- completely inappropriate, but all part of the bet lost to Orophin and Rumil. He sits down on the other side of his father and waits to hear the tale.



“I’m going to play the Adar, and you get to play the Naneth,” Elros said sternly, handing a worn apron to Elrond.

“Why do you get to be the Adar? I don’t want to be the Naneth!” he complained, crossing his arms.

Elros crossed his arms as well. “Because I’m the taller one and you’re the prettier one,” he informed his twin before heading in the direction of the toy chest again.

“We’re exactly the same!” shouted Elrond with a pout. “That’s why they say we’re ‘identical’ twins!” He was given no response and Elros began to dig through the box, pulling out a wooden sword, which he soon discarded. “Get one of them to play the part of the Naneth!” Elrond added, pointing toward a group of three young ellith playing with a set of wooden blocks in a corner of the nursery.

Elros rolled his eyes and approached the group, clearing his throat. “Excuse me, ladies,” he said in a low gruffed voice like he heard some of the menfolk speak in, “but I’m looking for someone to pretend play my wife because my brother doesn’t want to.” Elrond, across the room, rolled an identical set of eyes as the ellith giggled to one another.

“We’re too young,” one of them finally said.

“Well, it’s only play,” Elros said in his normal voice. The ellith shook their heads and Elros shrugged, returning to Elrond. “See? They don’t want to.”

“And neither do I!” shouted Elrond. “Besides, I can’t. I don’t have a dress.”

With a gleam in his eye and to Elrond’s horror, Elros ran to the chest and yanked a dress from the box. It was positively ugly – red with orange bows and lacey frill. “No,” said Elrond sternly.

“Oh, girls,” Elros called out sweetly, causing the ellith to turn their heads. “Miss Elrond needs a makeover.”

Sadly, Elrond did not escape the stampede, and ten minutes later was pouting profusely. “I hate you,” he finally said to his brother as one of the ellith tied a pink ribbon in his hair.

The door to the nursery swung open suddenly. “Alright everyone, time to get dressed for- oh! Well, that’s nice that the girls helped you find a costume for tonight’s haunting, Elrond,” spoke the caretaker. She looked him over for a moment and then said, “I think I might have a pair of white gloves that my daughter can’t fit into anymore, I’ll find them for you. The rest of you, clear the mess away, I’ll be in to help find costumes for the rest of you in a moment. Lord Maglor is very excited about taking all of you around to the other houses tonight.” The door closed again and their was eerie silence.

“Have I mentioned yet that I hate you?” asked Elrond, glaring at Elros.

It wasn’t until much later that the tune changed.

“Oh, how darling, and what a brave one you are to wear such a costume!” giggled a maiden at the next door. She placed treats in all of the sacks the elflings held out, and added an extra handful to Elrond’s and then kissed his forehead. “You’re such a cutie!” she said before waving farewell to the group of young trick or treat seekers.

“Have I mentioned yet that I love you?” Elrond asked his brother, happily munching on an extra piece of fudge he had been given down the road.

“Yes, now quit it. And next year,” warned Elros, “I get to wear the dress!”