Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Haldir entered the house, leaving the door ajar as he had found it. His jerkin was already over his shoulder, for he had taken it off in the carriage. Now he pulled at the lacing on the front of his shirt before rolling up his sleeves. In the carriage, he had the breeze to cool him, but the house itself was not so comfortable, even with all of the windows and doors open.

His destination was the parlor, and as he entered, those occupying the room looked up at him. "Who is for sleeping in the sea this evening?" he joked, but he did not hear laughter. In fact, there was no sound, but for the flapping of fans in the hands of those who had them. One such occupant was Glorfindel, whose fan was lowered as he gave a nod to Haldir. "If only I would have known you were here, Glorfindel, the carriage went on with Erestor and-"

"I left him a note at home," he said quietly. "He will find it."

Swallowing hard, Haldir felt his stomach tighten, and he looked around for answers. It was Elrond who gave them.

"It happened today, while you were away, obviously," sighed Elrond. "I sent Celebdreth to bring Glorfindel, but he will speak to no one until he has words with you. He is in your room," he added.

Nodding, Haldir looked to Elodien and Legolas, but the latter shook his head and the former motioned that Haldir should go.

The doors to all of the chambers were open, all except for the door at the end of the hall on the third floor of the First Homely House. Haldir pulled the door open, wiping his brow as he was met with the humidity from within.

Normally, he would have begun to open windows and try to circulate the air, but instead, he approached the young elf who sat at the foot of the bed, holding a stuffed plush rabbit on his lap. Sitting down next to him, he waited until Gimlin gave him the slightest acknowledgment before speaking.

"I am not about to pretend to know what to say," Haldir told him. "I suppose it might be better to ask if you have questions first."

Gimlin considered this as he played with the rabbit's ears. Slowly he shook his head. "No, I really have no questions."

Still at a loss, Haldir said, "I think everyone is worried about you."

Gimlin laughed, and Haldir felt relief, for it was full of mirth. "They are worried because I fell from the roof. Into the flower beds," he added when Haldir's eyes grew wide. "I am little more than bruised."

Haldir still gave his son a worried look. "You are sure you are not injured worse than you say?"

"You would know if I was in pain. Trust me." Gimlin smiled gleefully. "Now you have questions."

Smirking, Haldir nodded as he wiped the perspiration from his face. "You fell when you remembered?"

"After, more like it. I-" Gimlin stopped. "Maybe you should not hear this."

Haldir thought for a moment, and then snuck the bunny away from Gimlin and wrapped his arms around it. "Now you can tell me."

"I was on the roof with Elladan and Elrohir and Celebdreth," he explained.

"Wait a moment. Why were you on the roof in the first place?"

Gimlin grinned sheepishly. "Over the house kickball."

"Ai!" Haldir bowed and shook his head. "You will turn my hair grey as my Ada's yet!"

Grinning even more broadly, Gimlin continued. "The ball came at me, and I just had a strange feeling for a moment, and I just watched it. I should have dodged it or caught it, but I just watched it come toward me. It hit was such force; I stumbled off over the side. As I did-" Gimlin paused and took a breath. "As I did, it came back to me, falling from the wall in Rohan-"

Looking up suddenly when Haldir gripped his arm, Gimlin placed a hand over it. "It was very fast. There was no pain."

"Are you telling me truly?"

Gimlin nodded. "I would not lie to you, Papa." Haldir smiled at the term of endearment, for Gimlin had been fascinated always with the cultures of the other races that had lived in Middle Earth, and somewhere had picked up the idea - likely from Elrond, as so many of the unexplainable things came from Gran'papa - that 'Adar' and even 'Ada' were much too formal for his beloved parent. Rubbing Gimlin's arm, he dropped his hand and held the rabbit tight.

"I thought you were your brother," Haldir finally said. "I would not have taken you, had I known that it was you."

"I know," nodded Gimlin. "But I knew I was coming back. The lady - Gran'mums told me so." Gimlin laughed and giggled, realizing how silly the entire situation was now that Dínendal was resurfacing. "You know, I think I got back at Uncle Rúmil for everything he did to me when I was in the guard! He made me do sprints because I was a bit slow, but I threw up on him quite a number of times, did I not?"

Trying to look sternly at his youngest, Haldir's lips twitched up into a smile. "I am glad this amuses you so," he replied.

"Oh, but it does," smiled Gimlin. "Oh, and where is Glorfindel? Is he still here, I have questions for him!"

"Questions for him, but not for me?" Haldir looked hurt, but his smile betrayed him.

"Papa, I am sure I will have lots of questions for you, in time." Gimlin paused and looked at his father with uncertainty. "Can I still call you that?"

"What else would you call me?"

"Well, Haldir, I suppose…"

Haldir recalled an incident on the beach with his own father, and blinked back his tears, finally realizing the pain he must have caused Celeborn in not calling him father so many times. "I would prefer if you would continue to call me Papa. Or, Adar if you must, but please, not Haldir." He was nearly knocked from the bed as Gimlin flung his arms around him. He returned the hug with one arm, keeping Nibbles squished between them with the other.

As Gimlin sat back, Haldir sighed. "I suppose you shall want to move, to have a life of your own," Haldir said sadly, but Gimlin adamantly shook his head.

"That is not at all what I want," he said to his father. "I have everything I want within this house. I have a family who wants me. I have a place where I belong." Gimlin swing his legs, and looked at the floor, and then added, "Well, not entirely everything."

Gimlin did not make his request known, continuing to inspect the rug at his feet. Slowly, Haldir took his furry companion, kissed it behind the ears, and set it down on Gimlin's lap.

"Papa…"

"That would make it everything. Am I right?" He put his arms around his son and kissed his brow. "You took such good care of her when you were small, and I regret to admit that more mornings I find she has somehow managed to find her way to the foot of the bed or the floor."

"I promise to take care of her," said Gimlin, and Haldir nodded knowingly.

"I am confident that you will, Gimlin." Haldir thought for a moment, and then said, "Can I still call you that?"

"What else would you call me?" asked Gimlin, and it was Haldir's turn to fling his arms around his son.