Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
The remainder of the time in the market was spent sitting on a bench near the tailor awaiting the final package. Fingon moped, and Maedhros tried to cheer him up with a bag of toasted pumpkin seeds and a visit from a mime who tried his best to get Fingon to smile. After sending the street performer on his way with a few coins, Maedhros settled back down on the seat next to his cousin. “Did I ever tell you the story of how we told Celegorm where he came from?”

Fingon sighed heavily. He appreciated the attempts that Maedhros was making to cheer him up, but the impending doom of having been enlisted without his actual consent still upset him. “No, you did not.”

“You are going to like this one. So, one day, Celegorm asks Maglor and I where babies come from. Well, we wanted to have a little fun with him, so we made up this whole story on how babies come from their parents loving each other so much and then they go out to the river and wait for a lily pad with a baby to come floating by, and they take it home with them. So, Celegorm wanted to know if we still had his lily pad, so we took him out to the pond behind the house. There were two huge lily pads there, and just a few little tiny ones. He asks, ‘which one is mine?’...”

***

“This one is mine,” said Maglor. He crouched down next to the pond and reached over to touch the light green leaf floating in the water. His eyes took it in fondly, as if he was recalling it from memory long past. “It is like a second home to me.”

Maedhros fought back his laughter as he pointed to the lily pad further out. “That one was mine,” he said as little Celegorm looked around frantically. There was a frog on it now, and it croaked at the elves on the shore.

“Where is mine, Maedhros? Where is it?” Celegorm ran around the side of the pond and tugged on Maglor’s hand. “I want to see mine, too!”

“Wait... Maglor...” Maedhros waited until he had the attention of both brothers. “Did... did you remember... oh...” Maedhros became very quiet and looked down at the ground.

“What? What is it?” Celegorm ran back to the oldest brother. “Where is mine? Is it gone?”

“Well... I just remembered... but we should maybe go back to the house,” suggested Maedhros. As he turned, he felt Celegorm grab around his leg.

“Tell me!” shouted Celegorm. “Tell me, where is mine?!”

“You do not have one,” said Maedhros. “You... you were not found in the river.”

“Where was I found?” asked Celegorm, his eyes wide and questioning.

Maedhros pointed toward the shed. “You were found in an ugly wooden box, next to the garbage heap. I think someone dumped you there because they did not want you. Of course, nana and ada felt bad, and you cried very loudly, so they brought you inside. Now, you have been here so long, I guess they are just going to keep you.”

Celegorm narrowed his eyes and pouted. “That is not true,” he argued. He looked to Maglor, who simply nodded at the unseen prodding from Maedhros. “Well... where is this box, then?”

“Come. I think father kept it.” Maedhros walked swiftly to the shed, which meant that Celegorm had to run to keep up. Maglor checked around to be sure that their parents were not around before he followed.

The shed was dark, for many things were piled up along the walls and up to the windows. Celegorm tried to look past Maedhros, but could not see around the stacks of crates and piles of wood. “Ah, here it is... are you sure you want to see it, Celegorm?”

“Of course I do!” Celegorm backed up a little so that Maedhros could turn around, and looked skeptically at the box presented to him. It was filled with cobwebs and crusty leaves from a year or two ago. There was a crack down one side and a chunk missing from the corner. Celegorm reached out his hand and touched the side of the box. “This could be any old box,” he said. “How do you know this one is my box? How do I know you are even telling the truth?”

Maedhros looked down at the box. “It is just big enough for you to fit inside.”

Celegorm looked again and made a face. “That proves nothing.”

“Hmm. I guess you are right. Maybe this is not the right one.” Maedhros started to inspect the box, turning it to one side, and then rotating it again. As he did so, the writing on the opposite side became visible to Celegorm, who saw his name written on it.

“It is my box,” he said, his eyes filling with tears.

The box was turned back and Maedhros looked at the writing in surprise as if he had not been the one to hastily scribble it on with a piece of coal just a few moments ago. He set the box down on the floor of the shed and carefully stepped around his youngest brother. “See? We were telling the truth.”

***

“And you left him out there with it?” questioned Fingon in horror.

Maedhros was still laughing as he nodded and stamped his foot on the ground. “The look on his face was priceless! He was out there all night sitting in the shed next to the box crying about it. It was too funny – you should have been there.”

“That is sick,” replied Fingon. “It disturbs me – did Maglor think that was funny, too?”

“Of course.” Maedhros stopped laughing. His mouth twisted into a half-frown. “Did you never do such things to Aredhel with Turgon? Or to Turgon?”

“No, and I would never dream to.” Fingon saw the door of the shop open, and he walked over to retrieve the package from the tailor. “I think it is time for us to go,” he said, and Maedhros nodded in agreement.

The trip to Finwe’s house was quiet and slightly uncomfortable, but nothing more was said regarding their final discussion at the market. The leaves were just beginning to turn color, and they enjoyed the view silently as they walked. Fingon hoped that they would hold to the trees until he had made the transition to his home near the Red Fern team gymnasium, wherever that was. The different trees in the west varied in color from the ones on the coast, and autumn was Fingon’s favorite season.

As the pair approached the house of their grandfather, the servants working in the garden stopped to wave or greet them. Maedhros nodded and shouted back to them; Fingon smiled or waved shyly. He had not spent as much time growing up on the estate, while Maedhros had lived in the house during the summers of his childhood. When they reached the steps leading up into the house, they found that they were somewhat anticipated: Their grandfather stood at the door, and beside him, Indis.

Fingon climbed the steps first, giving each of his grandparents a warm hug. “I hope you do not mind us coming a little early,” he said. “We thought we could help.”

“You are always welcome here,” Finwe reminded them. They were words he often said. It was known to all of his children and grandchildren that they were expected to pay a visit whenever they wished. He enjoyed seeing his progeny and talking to them about their travels and adventures. It was his wont to stay and oversee the estate and the plentiful acres of crops that spread out around his land.

Indis held out her hand to Maedhros as he joined them on the porch. He bowed his head and leaned forward to kiss her cheek. “Good afternoon, grandmother. I am glad to see you are well.”

“It is good to see you as well, Maedhros.” Indis gave him a hug, and an extra little squeeze. It was not a title that Maedhros had to give her, and it was a name he reserved for those times when his father and brothers were not around, though Maglor secretly did the same. Having never met their real grandmother, they both welcomed Indis into this position; their father, however, was far from accepting Indis into the family.

Finwe patted Maedhros on the back and clasped his arm. “We are both very appreciative of your assistance. Your father let me know that you were coming.”

“Oh... he did, did he?” Maedhros and Fingon exchanged a quick look. “Did he say anything else?”

“Not really,” replied Finwe. “Is there anything I should know?”

Fingon bit his lip and shrugged while Maedhros shook his head.

“Well, if you think of something, let me know.” Finwe opened the door and led his grandsons into the house. “I think you know where the guest rooms are, but I shall have someone take your things up for you.” He needed only make a motion, and someone appeared at his side. “The green room in the east wing,” he said, and the packages and sacks were gathered up and whisked away. Finwe turned back to the two young ellyn standing before him and said, “Your father told me that you would prefer to share a room until the festival. I hope you are both amiable to that.”

“Are you alright with that?” asked Maedhros as Fingon tried to hide his flushed face behind his cousin.

Finwe gave them both an odd look. “What is wrong with two cousins spending a few evenings together in the same room?” He waited for an answer, and when neither said anything, excused himself. “Rest, relax, and this evening we shall draw up a plan as to how you can help.”

Maedhros nodded for both of them and waited until their grandfather left the room to ask, “Do you think he knows?”

“He knows,” replied Indis behind them. “However, there are two beds in the room. No need to scandalize your father,” she said as she placed her hands on Fingon’s shoulders.

“At this rate,” sighed Fingon, “everyone is going to know before my father does.”

“Is that such a bad thing?” mused Maedhros.