Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Everything looks wonderful,” commended Artanis as she and Aredhel strolled into the garden that Maedhros and Fingon had nearly finished adorning with ribbons and bows.

“Next year, I think we should come early to help, too,” Aredhel suggested as they took up residence upon a bench.

Maedhros waved his hand toward a pile of bows yet to be attached to the gates and around the trees. “There is yet still time to aid us! Quick, grab that ribbon and help!”

The young ladies giggled, and Aredhel shook her head. “Our mothers would have a royal fit if we came back with dirt on our dresses or with twigs in our hair. We practically had to promise to tiptoe over here so as not to get dirty.”

“Ah, well. It was worth a try,” said Maedhros to Fingon with a wink.

Fingon smiled as he wrapped ribbon around the trunk of an oak. “How is everyone doing, Aredhel?”

“The same as usual. Argon is still teething, Father still worries about everything, Mother still worries about him, and Turgon is as peaceful and pleasant as ever. Somehow, we managed to survive without you in the house – though, I daresay, having you back again will be a blessing,” she added.

“How so?” asked Fingon.

“Without you around, Turgon seemed to think he had to be my keeper. When Celegorm came by to invite me to hunt, he practically chased him away and scolded me for keeping company with a known troublemaker.”

Maedhros laughed loudly, and said, “That is the most accurate description of my brother I have heard in a long time.”

Aredhel frowned. “I rather like Celegorm’s... umm...”

“Waywardness,” supplied Artanis.

“No,” admonished Aredhel. “His...”

“Ability to disturb the peace?” Fingon suggested.

“Not you, too, Fin.” Aredhel let out an exasperated sigh. “He has a certain quality about him that separates him from everyone else.”

“Considering there are few jackasses wandering the city, I can see how that could be accomplished.” Maedhros shrugged at the dirty look Aredhel gave him. “Honesty, my dear, is one of my greatest qualities.”

Aredhel huffed her way out of the garden and shouted as she left, “Honesty and stupidity, I suppose!”

Now the other three were left alone, a child from each family of Finwe’s three eldest sons, and Artanis perched more on the edge of the bench and observed the winding down of the preparations. “I shall reach my majority at the end of this coming summer,” she informed them.

“Has it been that long already?” Maedhros paused to count the years, and slowly nodded. “Good. Last year we need to buy presents for you, then,” he told her.

Artanis resisted the urge to stick out her tongue at them, which she might have done the previous year. This year, her mother was more concerned than ever about making a proper lady of her and there were certain strict guidelines she was striving to follow. “I will not stand for your teasing, Maedhros. I am quite serious about my expectations as an adult.”

“Oh, really?” challenged Maedhros. “Just what expectations are those? You will likely continue to live in your father’s house, be waited upon by his servants, and live a luxurious life even I do not have the ability to afford.”

“No, I have no plans to continue to live in my father’s house,” she said adamantly. “My eldest brother already has a house of his own; if I do not marry within a year, I shall simply move to his residence so that I am more accessible to the available bachelors.”

“You? Married?” Maedhros shook his head. “No offense, but... well, I thought...”

“You thought what?” Artanis narrowed her eyes at both of them. “You thought I was like the two of you?”

Fingon blushed fiercely and turned around to inspect one of the attached bows. Maedhros tossed the remaining roll of ribbon into a bin that held their supplies and approached Artanis slowly. “I did, actually. You run around like an ellon all the time – hair up, skinned knees, bossing everyone around, throwing a punch when you have to – and you certainly lack friends of your own type, except for Aredhel, who, I daresay, is quite like a boy herself with the exception of the fact that she does have friends who are ellyth and quite often takes the extra effort to dress like one. In fact, she does not own a single pair of pants – and I know you do.”

“Just because I do not look like a lady does not mean...” Artanis stopped herself before her voice rose too high. Her hands were already balled up into fists. “There is no sense in arguing with you. The point is this: I do not intend to stay in my father’s house. I intend to find myself a husband.”

“How do you intend to do that? You can knock one unconscious and drag him to a house to live with you, but sooner or later, he will wake up.”

“Maedhros, you are horrible. Fingon, I shall never understand what you see in him.” Artanis left in the same direction Aredhel had gone, and in a much fouler mood.

Maedhros tapped Fingon on the shoulder. “Am I really that bad?”

“You get into a mood sometimes,” admitted Fingon. “As long as you never do it to me, or tease my family too harshly, who am I to begrudge you your fun?”

“Good... that makes Artanis fair game for the rest of today,” said Maedhros as he and Fingon gathered up the remaining supplies and tossed them into the bin.

The two emerged into the clearing to find the party in an uproar. Near their grandfather’s porch, Fingolfin was yelling at Celegorm, both of their faces red, while Feanor stood behind his son with hands upon his shoulder. It seemed Feanor was attempting to speak calmly, but was soon to be shouting as well. Most of the ellyth were looking under tablecloths and behind trees and chairs. Some of the ellyn stood and watched what was going on; others hurriedly gathered their arrows and bows.

Finwe emerged from the house, and silenced both of his sons with one look. Only Celegorm continued, his voice loud enough for everyone to hear.

“I TOLD you, I WAS watching him. Then I was called inside to get something, and I started to explain that I was watching the baby, and I was told he would be fine for a few moments. So I went inside to get what was needed, but it was ‘just a minute, just a minute,’, and when I tried to go back out I was told to wait! I finally took what was needed outside, and when I turned around, he was not there! Someone must have seen him by himself and picked him up or something,” Celegorm attempted to reason, but considering the position he was in, it was difficult to even speak.

“You should never have left him alone. You should have found someone else to watch him,” barked Fingolfin. “For all we know, he could have wandered off and hurt himself or even be dead right now, and it is all your fault!”

“For all you know, he could be fine!” screamed Celegorm back at his uncle.

Feanor squeezed his son’s shoulders sharply to keep the tirade from continuing. “I think we all know how safe it is here. There was likely just a little mix-up.”

“A little mix-up?” mumbled Fingolfin as he continued to glare at Celegorm.

“Obviously, he is being searched for, and will be found,” Feanor assured his brother. “However, I do not appreciate you placing the fault upon my son, when it is really your responsibility to watch your own child.” Fingolfin stood, flabbergasted, while Feanor continued. “What Celegorm is at fault for is losing his temper and acting like a child. Be assured; he will be dealt with as soon as your son is found, Fingolfin.”

Celegorm snorted in anger, but said nothing.

The twins, who had been huddled together next to Maglor, now came forth. “Father,” interrupted Maglor, “the Ambarussas have something to tell you.”

Feanor sighed, privately hating the name his wife had given to both of their youngest children. He moved away from Celegorm and crouched down before the twins. “Do you know where Argon is?”

“No,” replied the younger of the two.

“But we did see him taken,” piped up the elder.

“Who did you see take the baby?”

“A tall person,” answered the elder.

“With a long, black cape, and a big hood drawn down over his face so that we could not see it,” added the other.

Feanor gave them a stern look. “It is not good to tell lies to your father, boys.”

“But we are telling the truth,” insisted the younger. The elder nodded his head.

Feanor smiled and patted each of them on the head. “But you did not see where this person went?”

“No, he was gone quick.”

“Right when we blinked.”

“And we blinked at the same time.”

“Is that all?” Feanor nodded when his sons did. “Thank you; now run along and help your mother search for little Argon. You may be the biggest help of all, being almost as short as he is.” The twins nodded and scurried away. “I apologize; they make up the oddest stories at their age,” he said as he stood.

“We must engage search parties,” decided Finwe when it was evident that the baby was not present in the glade. “Some will search the gardens, and some the house, and others the woods.”

“Fingon and I just came from the gardens,” piped up Maedhros. “We did not see him there.”

“Be that as it may, you cannot be sure that you did not miss him. I am sure you were tending to other things. Were either of you looking for a baby when you came back?” asked their grandfather.

“No, sir,” admitted Maedhros.

“Excuse me,” interrupted a smooth, deeply melodic voice. “I was enjoying a pleasant walk in the woods, and I could not help but hear the commotion. Is anything amiss?” Melkor stood in the clearing, halfway between the porch and the edge of the woods.

“Your Excellency,” greeted Finwe. He gave a slight tilt of his head as the Ainu approached. Both Feanor and Celegorm warily stood their ground, but Fingolfin did not show any negative reaction. Though known for his terrible deeds in ages past, the newly reformed Melkor often visited among the Noldor, bringing to them gifts of retribution in the form of knowledge and ideas. Only Feanor’s family showed skepticism at his appearance.

“Is there anything I might offer assistance with?” he asked when nothing further was said.

Fingolfin stepped forward and explained the situation. “We should break into search parties and begin looking for him – there are many horrible things in the woods.” As if on cue, a wolf howled some distance away, and Anaire began to weep.

“Indeed,” agreed Melkor. “I shall help in whatever way I can. Alas, that my brother had not dulled my powers, I might have simply known your son’s location. In my current state, I can only offer to help search.”

“Your offer is appreciated. We can use whatever help we can get,” assured Finwe. “Alright, everyone, you know who we are looking for. He is still young, so unless he found a way to mount a horse, he should not be very far away.”

“Unless the hooded person stole him!” piped up Ambarussa.

“Hooded person?” questioned Melkor.

Fingolfin waved off the comment. “A story they made up,” he whispered. “Imaginative minds of the young.”

“Indeed,” said Melkor again.

Groups of three were assembled, and Maedhros and Fingon snagged Turgon to join them. They headed back to the gardens to retrace their steps. Meanwhile, Celegorm had had a hard time convincing anyone but Aredhel to come with him, as some still thought he had been the one to hide the baby in the first place. “We should go to the forest and search,” said Celegorm when it appeared no one would join them. “You and I know those woods better than anyone.”

“An excellent choice. Would you care to lead, or should I?”

Both Celegorm and Aredhel looked up behind them to see Melkor standing there. “Umm...”

“Then I shall lead,” decided Melkor, and he ushered the pair into the woods.