Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
On the appointed morning, Erestor, Glorfindel, and Estel had an early breakfast before walking briskly to the main corridor that split off into the six districts or to the main tunnels and royal chambers. It was down the central area that they traveled, following a few other early risers as they continued downward through passages lit by fiery torches and entered into high vaulted halls where the few horses of Mirkwood were stabled. They made a left turn, stopping momentarily to see to Asfaloth, ErestorHorse, and EstelPony, before finally reaching their destination.

A short lined had formed before a black velvet curtain. Two guards stood, one on either side, while an elleth patiently checked a long list for the name of each person waiting to enter. They shuffled along, with Estel wiping at his eyes and yawning frequently, so that eventually Erestor picked the lad up so that he could rest as they waited.

“I have to admit, I have been curious since this all began,” said Glorfindel once there were enough people chatting to cover up their discussion. “Why would a kingdom have a vote for anything?”

“Why not? Thranduil is King and can do as he pleases,” answered Erestor.

“But.. voting?” Glorfindel still appeared puzzled.

“Just like a council when there is a council vote,” Erestor reminded him. “This is no different from that.”

“Still, that is a council. It is different. We never poll the entire valley to make decisions.”

“We also live in a small region,” argued Erestor. “Besides, Thranduil prefers this method. Think of it as if all of his subjects are on his council.”

“But that—that still seems really odd,” Glorfindel declared.

“If we want to talk about odd, let us discuss Elves who put bells on their horses before they ride into battle,” suggested Erestor as he hoisted Estel up again. Sleepy children were always heavier than ones who are awake.

Glorfindel frowned and looked around in an attempt to find a suitable change in topic. “What is that over there?” asked Glorfindel of a large sheet of paper that hung upon the wall beside the curtain.

“A copy of the official ballot,” explained Erestor. “If someone wishes to see ahead of time who or what is on the ballot, they can view it here. Each person is only allowed one ballot, so it is important to know how you plan to vote.”

Glorfindel squinted to see what was written on the sheet. “Are there many things to vote for? I thought you were only choosing the district leaders.”

“There are always a few referendums and laws that are on the ballot,” Erestor said. “I will probably need a little while to read through them all.” He presently reached the elleth, and stated his name in full. “Erestor Tataion. District one.”

“Erestor... Erestor...” The elleth slid the long scroll back near the top. “There we are. Your ballot number is twenty-seven.” She handed a ticket to him, and then looked at Glorfindel. “Your name, sir?”

“Oh, no, not me. I am just his friend. I hail from Rivendell,” Glorfindel explained as Estel was transferred to him so that Erestor could duck behind the curtain to vote.

The elleth looked miffed, and someone behind Glorfindel grumbled. “Then why are you standing in my line?”

“I... well, I really do not know. I suppose I thought I was just going to follow along.”

“I certainly cannot allow you in!” scolded the elleth. “Why, how could we have a secret vote if you were to look over his shoulder the entire time?”

“I would not be a bother,” insisted Glorfindel. “Most likely, he will just tell me all about it after he exits.”

“Then that is his choice. For now, kindly move aside. There is a long line of people wishing to vote who are able to vote, and you, sir, are keeping them from their duty as citizens of the Great realm of Greenwood!” There was some applause that came from behind Glorfindel, and he slid away from the doorway so as not to block anyone else.

This put him directly in front of one of the guards, who cautiously eyed him up. “Perhaps you should return to your guest quarters to wait for your friend.”

“I would, but I keep getting lost. Too many caves and tunnels and things. I nearly walked off a ledge into a river or something the other day.” Glorfindel walked over to the wall where the ballot was posted and shifted Estel to his other side. There were six boxes, each with a list of names within, and boxes to check off the name that the voter chose for each district. The first district was the strangest, for there was an empty box and no names listed.

Beneath these were a list of numbered referendums and laws, each with a set of boxes. Some were yes and no, and others were different numbers, and two had names of people listed, while the final referendum specified that only members of the first district were allowed to vote, and it contained a lengthy passage that seemed to abolish the district altogether. “This looks really complicated. What is this one about?” Glorfindel looked over at the guard for an answer.

“You do not need to know,” said the guard warily. “We keep our governing to ourselves.”

“I was just curious.” Glorfindel rocked impatiently back and forth on his feet. “Are you sure I cannot see what is going on back there?” he asked.

“Unless you are a citizen of Greenwood, you are not allowed beyond this barrier,” confirmed the guard.

Glorfindel stared at the curtain as another citizen swept it aside just enough to pass behind into the voting room. “Could you lift the drapery and let me see what is going on back there? Just for a moment?”

“Drapery?” One of the citizens stepped out of the line, a smith by trade from the heavy leather apron he wore and the way that his hair was tied back from his face. “That is no drapery, peasant! That is the cloak, the remnants of it at least, of our great former king, lost to us at the Last Alliance! Show some respect, youngling!”

Instead of looking horrified or cowering before the bulky man before him, Glorfindel was bemused. Estel was awake now, and Glorfindel set the boy down on his own feet before he stood up and crossed his arms over his chest. “The Last Alliance? Where have I heard of that before… Hmm… sounds familiar...”

“It was a great war, a war you could hardly imagine, I would wager,” said the smith haughtily. “My father fought in that war, as did my uncle. It was a brutal battle against all forces of evil, and you would do well to study it and—“

“Done.” Erestor came around the side of the curtain, with Estel now in his arms, for while everyone began to argue outside, the children decided to go and see what was so interesting behind the curtain. The boy helped to lift back the cloak as they emerged. “Are you ready to go, Glorfindel?”

Silence fell upon the crowd who was waiting, and the Elf who had confronted Glorfindel blinked as he heard the name. “Almost,” said Glorfindel as he stepped just a little closer to the one who had addressed him. “I just remembered what you were talking about. Last Alliance... big war in Mordor. Terrible thing. Happened... just about the time I returned from my death. Reminded me of the Nirneath in many ways. I fought in that battle, too. Killed a balrog once as well.. oh, but I doubt you have ever seen one of those. You would do well to study them, in case they should ever come about again.” He winked, and then stepped back. “Ready.”

“What was that all about?” wondered Erestor as they walked away from the voting line.

“Tell me what those referendums were about, and I will tell you all about it.”

“Oh. That.” Erestor waited until they were down an empty corridor. “Oh, a lot of the usual things that are voted upon every hundred years or so. I often just send a proxy, but this year we decided it was for the best to abolish the first district.”

“What is the first district?” asked Glorfindel.

“The King’s district. The royal family, close members of the court. It hardly made sense to have
an entire district made up of those few individuals.” Erestor motioned for them to take a different route, and the others followed. “That should condense the number of districts to five, and it should make Elrond happy.”

“Why would Elrond care?”

“Let me think, who could possibly have been the former district representative of a district made up of only the King’s family and councilors?” mused Erestor softly. “Now, if you do not mind, I would like to get the next part over with quickly.”

“Next part?” Glorfindel sped up, for he had fallen a pace behind. “What are you talking about?”

“I intend to withdraw my citizenship.” Erestor slowed down a little when he noticed that Estel was trying to keep up with them.

“Why?”

“I believe that is what Elrond wants.” Erestor shrugged. “I always thought it made good sense from a political standpoint to have some pull here, but if Elrond has concerns—“

“Who said that?” Glorfindel asked, wondering if Erestor actually knew why he was sent with an escort.

Erestor looked uncertain about his words, but Estel answered instead. “Adar did! He and Momi talk about it a lot! I told Master Erestor that Adar worries too much and this might stop him from worrying.”

With a shrug, Erestor answered, “Estel told me, as you have heard.” When Glorfindel looked down at the boy admonishingly, Erestor added, “At least someone was honest with me. He only mentioned it after we were here. If it was such a concern, I would have renounced it back when I first received the letter, but no one said a word about it then.”

“Oh, Erestor.. I am sorry. I doubted you—and you are right, I should have.. someone should have said something,” he said. “Can you forgive me?”

“Of course. And Elrond, of course, everyone, I hold no grudge over this.” Erestor moved to the side of the corridor so that others now returning from the vote could pass by. “I bring many of the doubts upon myself. You and Elrond only acted in the best interests of Imladris. I cannot say I would have done differently in your place,” he admitted.

“Can you forgive me, too?” asked Estel.

Erestor crouched down. “And what would I be forgiving you for?” he asked.

“I told Prince Legolas about everything and he said you are a silly Elf. I think he was going to go riding and spider hunting with His Majesty of Greenwood the King to keep you from de-… de-… “

“Denouncing,” offered Erestor with a smile.

“That,” confirmed Estel.

“Before anyone does anything drastic,” said Glorfindel. “Let us instead have breakfast, enjoy the rest of our time here, return to Imladris, and see what Lord Elrond would like for us to do.”

“I like the breakfast part the most. And seeing Adar again,” said Estel. “And Momi, too. And my brothers. Do you think my sister will be there when I get back?” wondered Estel.

“The only way to know that will be to return,” said Erestor. “Breakfast first.”