Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“I love it when it rains.” Erestor lounged on a sofa, staring across the room and out the window whose curtain allowed for a semi-obscured view of the scene outdoors. Branches swayed and leaves bowed repeatedly as if giving thanks to Manwe and Ulwe for their gift. “The night is so rhythmic, and everything seems at peace. The world becomes cleansed and washed away is the dust and dirt, leaving a purity come the morning.”

His companion had been quietly reading a book in his rocking chair near the fire, and looked up to regard the weather momentarily. Then, he returned to his reading.

“No opinion?” queried the advisor.

This time when Glorfindel looked up, he spoke. “I always have an opinion, and it is this. The rain brings mud and softens the ground. It brings my horse difficulty in travel, and chills me when my cloak becomes drenched. If I must spend the night away from home, it means a soggy tent and a campfire that remains unlit.”

“I suppose, in that case, that you hate the rain,” Erestor reasoned.

“On the contrary,” corrected Glorfindel. “When I am here, in Imladris, the rain brings me indoors. I find few tasks I can aid in doing, and thus I find myself here for the day,” he said, raising an arm in reference to the Hall of Fire they now sat in. “Eventually, your duties for the day are done, and you wander your way here, and take up residence upon that couch, and watch through the window with a childlike wonder. Though the rain itself is not so much an ally, it does serve a purpose for me. Without it, I would be granted few days of watching something so perfect.” Glorfindel smiled while Erestor blushed slightly. “I love it when it rains.”

Following the rather awkward evening the night before, Elrond had cancelled all meetings for the day. It allowed Glorfindel to convince Erestor at breakfast that they should share lunch, supper, and every teatime inbetween together in order to catch each other up on the happenings of the six months apart. With the chair incident fresh and no other pressing matters, Erestor was well aware that there was something more that troubled Glorfindel now, something he refused to talk about and had nothing to do with Gilraen. He could do nothing but agree to spend the day with Glorfindel. Less of the time was actually spent talking, for Glorfindel was quietly contemplative, and Erestor sensed he needed the peace and reflection more than he needed information on the latest trade agreements.

They continued to sit quietly now, the lone remaining occupants of the Hall of Fire. On a rainy day, it would not have been unusual for many others to have been in the room as well. Tonight, Lindir was performing in one of the other halls, and many of his fans were there. Only one fire was lit in the Hall of Fire, the main pit in the center. Glorfindel had moved his new chair far from the flames to keep it safe. “This is nice. I often think this room is much too loud.”

“That is the purpose of the hall, though,” Erestor reminded him.

“I know.” Glorfindel looked across the room at one of the extraordinarily large tapestries that hung across the back of the stage area at the front of the room. It was a map of Lindon, skillfully done, that had once hung in King Gil-Galad’s throne room. “Do you think Elrond is in over his head?”

“I think he is going to need to be cautious. I think he needs to be careful so as not to alienate Elladan. I think he is making a sacrifice in his own life in doing this. I think he is going to have to tread carefully around Artanis.” Erestor rolled onto his back to stare up at the ceiling. “I offered him a scandal to keep prying eyes away from him if he wished.” He glanced briefly to Glorfindel to catch his reaction.

There was a little smirk. “Did you? What sort of scandal?”

“Something scandalous.” Erestor watched a spider that was crawling around the top of one of the massive pillars in the room, weaving a web to lay her nest of eggs. “An affair of some sort.”

“Your affairs are hardly scandalous anymore. Everyone knows to lock their daughters – and their wives – away from you.”

“And sisters,” added Erestor mischievously.

“Aunts, grandmothers, maids, nannies, shieldmaidens, and nieces.” Glorfindel nodded in agreement. “You need to find something that will actually interest people. There is nothing exciting or different about you chasing after a spritely young maiden. Or a wrinkly old spinster, for that matter.”

“For me there is.”

The drumming of fingers upon the arm of a rocking chair began. “What I meant was that it would not be as exciting as Gilraen moving into Elrond’s rooms with him.”

“They are only doing this for the wellbeing of Ara—for Estel,” said Erestor, correcting himself. “It is in Estel’s best interest to have the love and support of two parents.”

“But they are sleeping in the same bed, are they not?” pressed Glorfindel. “At least, that was what I was led to believe was going to happen.”

“I have reached a fairly similar conclusion,” Erestor agreed. “I do not think that this is a romantic relationship, though.”

“Then why not have her sleep in Arwen’s room?”

“Maybe she is. He never said she was going to sleep in his bed, actually,” Erestor reminded Glorfindel. “Perhaps Arwen’s room remains Arwen’s room, and she will simply use it for the time being until things can be figured out. I suspected that it was Celebrian he was farspeaking with yesterday during the meeting, but now that I consider it I wonder if it was Arwen than he was talking to.”

They watched the fire again, and listened to the rain. Glorfindel lifted a leg and touched his big toe against Erestor’s knee. The brunet looked over and Glorfindel said, “So what about that scandal?”

“Elrond has insisted that I not. If circumstances change, I will be sure to take you up on your offer to assist me,” assured Erestor.

“If we wait for Elrond to decide, we may not have enough time to plan properly.”

Erestor winked at Glorfindel. “I think you just want to find a way to steal a kiss from me.”

Glorfindel grinned and blushed slightly. “Scandals are hardly begun with a single kiss. At least three or four are necessary.”

Erestor swung his legs over to the side and stood up. “I need to be up early. I appreciate your willingness to sully your name for Elrond’s benefit.” He leaned forward and kissed Glorfindel’s brow.

“Amateur – you aimed too high! Let me show you how to start a scandal properly,” insisted Glorfindel as he made to grab for Erestor’s arm but missed.

“I really need to go. Fear not – you are first on my list if a scandal needs starting!”

“I had best be the only one on that list,” said Glorfindel, a bit more sternly than planned.

Erestor smiled. “No one else would be interested in aiding me, so I suppose you need not worry.”