Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Bainith crept slowly and soundlessly into the house, removing his cloak at the door. His gauntlets were the next to go, light leather with the strength of steel. They were less for protection against his foes, and more for protection against himself, stopping the constant burns he had suffered in the first weeks of his training. Now his self-inflicted wounds were little more than puffy blisters and calloused palms. He climbed the stairs, removing his hauberk in the darkness. Whether the shuffle of fabric awakened Valanyonnen, or whether he was awake already, Bainith did not know. He did hear a hum of approval as the discarding of the hauberk left him dressed only in form fitting trousers.

"Did you get the ingredients you needed? No broken eggs this time?"

It was the question asked, but it was not really the question. The real question was, 'Are you coming back to bed?' This was evident from the way that Valanyonnen held the sheet, elevated just enough for someone to slip under and join him. Someone who happened to be removing his loincloth with a chuckle. "And had time to make biscuits for breakfast before I came back." Bainith slid under the sheets as Valanyonnen reached out and pulled him closer.

There was a nuzzle against his shoulder, and Bainith shuddered as Valanyonnen breathed in deeply. "You went all the way to the Shire," he murmured in Bainith's ear, and the younger Elf shivered again. It was amazing that it took so little for Valanyonnen to just know things. After being around Hobbits, who had to snoop on each other, peek into windows while trimming hedges, and carefully open letters to find out secrets about others, Bainith found this change oddly refreshing, if not the slightest bit unnerving in a way. Anyone else, and he might have avoided the discussion.

"Only briefly. I came right back again." He bit his lip. "Yucca was going to go adventuring with a small group, and I was invited to go along."

"You could have gone with them," he heard Valanyonnen sleepily reply.

Bainith turned in his lover's arms, snuggling against Valanyonnen. "I would much rather spend the evening with you."