Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
While the surroundings should have put Bainith at ease, sitting in the small yet cozy office that his mentor had here in the Last Homely House was making him edgy, and feeling like a caged animal when another Elf entered and closed the door. A second chair had been brought beside the one that Zhie sat in, and the newcomer took the seat beside her. "I suppose we should make this brief, if you are planning to assist in escorting Mrs. Brandybuck back to the Shire," said Erestor as he adjusted his robes. Bainith said nothing and only nodded a little, and both he and Erestor looked to Zhie.

"I am just going to say it without going into great detail. Bainith, I can no longer mentor you."

His mouth opened to issue protest, but naught came out but a thin sound that was masked by her continued words.

"As it is, you are a rune keeper, not a loremaster. You are not even a scholar. There were many questions going into this. Now, however, there is yet another change -- one I had not expected considering your age."

"What do you mean?" he finally asked, fretting his gloved hands.

"Perhaps I can speak to that." Erestor cleared his throat and unlike Zhie who had kept her eyes on an indefinite point on the wall, Erestor looked directly at Bainith. "I often stand watch at the Haven of Orlandion not only because it is a beautiful place, but because it gives me a view of everything happening outside of this house." He waited for the dawning realization to drain Bainith's face of color and added, "That was a nice spot the two of you chose. Very serene, and hardly anyone knows of that island."

Bainith dropped his hand into his lap and covered it with the other, as if concerned that they could see through the leather of his gloves. He considered denial, and then anger, but stuck with disbelief. "So I am being punished now, is that it? Rune keepers are expected to stay solitary, or fall in line with the rest of the population when they choose a mate?"

Erestor rubbed his temples while Zhie rolled her eyes. "This is where it becomes very difficult -- delicate," she amended. "Obviously, you are keeping this somewhat secret or else you would have told me or Yucca or at least you would not be wearing gloves indoors in the middle of spring." Bainith frowned. "The extent of my training has always been as a governess. I am mistress to those I mentor, yes, but I am in a matronly position as well. There were boundaries that I explained when you first began training. A betrothal nullifies our agreement. I may say something or give you direction that your future spouse disagrees with, and we cannot have that conflict."

"So I have been dismissed, then." His voice sounded defeated, and he stared down at the floor.

"I am presenting options. I have spoken at length with a pair of brothers who are rune keepers. Dwarvenfolk, and very knowledgeable when it comes to the powers and channeling of the stones. They are more than eager to take you on as an apprentice."

"What are the other options?" questioned Bainith.

"Give up your training and go home to the Shire or stay here and live in Rivendell."

Bainith could feel his hands getting warm, the fiery heat rising within him. "None of those alternatives are acceptable," he stated, removing his gloves to keep them from burning. "I have a year before I will be married," he lied, certain they could not tell that for all intents and purposes he was already. "Keep me on until then while I seek out a new mentor."

"This is not something to be negotiated."

"I disagree. This is my life we are talking about," he argued as small flames began to lick the floor surrounding the two older Elves.

Zhie and Bainith continued to debate the situation, but Erestor leaned over his chair and watched the fire dance around them and swirl up from the ground. Just as the fire threatened to burst at them, Erestor broke Bainith's concentration with a question. "How old are you again?"

The fire seemed to sweep away as Bainith looked away from Zhie. "I turned forty-nine last week."

Erestor rubbed his chin and looked to Zhie as if seeking guidance. She shrugged, and he asked, "Is he worth my time?"

"He has potential. But... I think that minstrel of his will kill you if something happens to him."

"Nothing has ever happened to any of my apprentices," said Erestor calmly as Zhie muttered, "Except Celegorm," under his breath. Erestor sighed and found interest in a chip of wood missing from the desk. "Celegorm would not listen. He was apprenticed in name only."

Erestor took a deep breath and then leaned across the desk slightly, his full attention on Bainith. "I will give you one year. Train with me -- it will be harsh; accelerated, but in the end you will gain the knowledge you seek. In exchange, prove yourself to me. I have not taken on an apprentice in four hundred years. You will have to dedicate yourself to this."

"Yes, sir."

"Not so fast," waned Erestor. "I have watched you here and there when you have been in Imladris. As you have likely heard multiple times, the Elves are not destined to stay here much longer. A day will come when you are yet young and will sail -- perhaps from feeling the sea-calling yourself, or perhaps because your mate will. Right now, you have no problems interacting because you can speak to hobbits and men on a daily basis, and you have been immersed in their cultures. You need to know your own heritage."

Bainith nodded. "Someone is teaching me the language already, and I am learning the style of clothing and how to cook Elven foods," he explained.

"A good start. But you need to learn of the rest of the culture -- history, you have been learning from Zhie, but there are other items I expect you to be trained in. Etiquette, dancing, singing, playing an instrument, poetry--"

"I write poetry," Bainith interrupted. "But... I cannot dance and I do not sing well and--"

"At the moment, but you will." Erestor's stern look kept Bainith from saying more on the topic, though he fidgeted in his seat a bit. "Think over my offer. I do not want an answer now. Go now and assist your friend in returning home; then, if you decide to accept this apprenticeship, go to Esteldin. I shall meet you there." He made a motion with his hand and said, "Dismissed."

Before Bainith left, he bowed to Zhie. "Thank you for what you were able to teach me." She nodded back as he left the office, then she looked at Erestor when they were the only ones remaining.

"Is there ANYTHING I need to know about him?" pressed Erestor once he was certain that Bainith could not hear them.

Zhie thought carefully on her answer. "He hates spiders and he fears heights. He seems to have developed a dislike of Dwarves, but I do not know when that came about. If he knows them, he is fine, but Dwarves in general put him on edge. He was not like that in the beginning, so I am sure that something happened."

"Dourhands, perhaps?" wondered Erestor.

"Perhaps," agreed Zhie. "He has an unpredictable temper."

"He is young and plays with fire. I half expect it. He favors fire, I assume," Erestor added.

Zhie gave a nod. "He also worries a lot."

Erestor smirked. "We all do."