Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
IDoS 2012. Inspired by the song: Somewhere by Within Temptation. Bainith created by me; Valanyonnen created by AeonDelirium.
On the top of a rock that served as an island in the middle of a pond in Rivendell, a lone elf sat hugging himself. He was speaking, but no one heard him, nor saw anyone else with him.

If they could hear him, they would have listened to his whispered promises to a love he slowly came to believe he had lost.

“I will find you somewhere,” he promised as he rocked himself to sleep some nights. “I will keep on trying, until my dying day.” He would worry the silver band on his finger, wrapped in a cloak of deep blue with silver embroidery, pulling the edge to his nose to inhale the familiar scent. “I just need to know,” he whispered. “I just need to know whatever has happened. The truth will free my soul.”

He would close his eyes, wrapping the cloak tighter, hoping to open them to find his beloved standing there. “I want to embrace you and never let you go,” he admitted to the darkness.

When weeks became months and his trails reached dead ends, he still came back to that spot and still spoke quietly into the night. “I almost hope you are in heaven so no one can hurt your soul,” he wept when he thought of all the terrible, awful things which could be done, all of the reasons why he was left unfound. “I am living in agony because I just do not know where you are.”

When the sobs silenced, the tears dried, and the morning chased away the darkness, he would rise and promise, “Wherever you are, I will not stop searching. Whatever it takes me to know.” He would catch a gleam of sunlight from the ring and sigh. “You are always in my heart, Valanyonnen.”