Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Haldir walked into the house near the sea. That was not unusual. He was alone, except for a grey wolf that followed beside him. That was not unusual. He had been crying.

That was not usual.

He sniffled once as he sat down on an overstuffed chair. Elrond and Celeborn had been holding a discussion about whether or not they should cover Celebrian’s flowerbeds with straw, or if they could wait another week before the weather turned too cold. Both of them regarded Haldir with concern, but were kept from saying anything when Galadriel entered the room briskly. Whether the intuition of a mother or her power of foresight, she looked troubled and went straight to Haldir without a single word to her husband or son-in-law.

Haldir looked up and swallowed hard as his mother stooped down and took his hands into hers. “Can.. can I stay here tonight?” he asked. He looked up, past his mother, to Elrond.

“Of course. You are always welcome here,” said Elrond. He stood up, not sure what to make of the situation. “Let me.. I should tell your sister,” he said, and went to find Celebrian.

Celeborn also stood up. “What is wrong?”

“It is over,” was all Haldir would say. Celeborn gave a single nod. “Elrond was right.”

Galadriel drew her lips into a thin line as Haldir bowed his head and hid his face with his hands. “It will be alright. You came to the right place, Haldir. Your father and I will go tomorrow to collect your things so that you do not have to.”

“I do not want anything from that house,” he sobbed. “Just leave it. I took what I needed.” Greyson nuzzled his head against his master’s knee, and Haldir reached one hand down for a moment to pat the wolf. “I am sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing? Really, there is no need.” Galadriel motioned for Celebrian to join them when she saw her daughter enter the room with Elrond. “Celebrian, stay with your brother for a moment,” she requested. Celebrian immediately took her mother’s place, and Galadriel pulled a throw from one of the chairs to use as a shawl.

She left the room and soon after, was outside of the house and making her way to the stables. Her steps were light but swift, kicking up fallen leaves as she went. There was light and laughter coming from the stable, but that stopped abruptly when she entered. “Artanis, what is it?” asked Erestor as he leaned on the rake he was using to clean out one of the stalls. Glorfindel was sitting on a stool nearby, milking the goats. He, too, halted his task.

“Haldir. He came back. I think.. I think he intends to stay with us,” she guessed.

Erestor leaned the rake against the wall and made sure he had secured the stalls that the horses had been moved to. Glorfindel lifted the pail of milk outside of the pen and untied the rope around the neck of the goat he had been milking. “Is he in the house?” asked Glorfindel.

Galadriel picked up the pail of milk with one hand while she used the other to keep the wrap from falling off her shoulders. “He is in the parlor with the others. Greyson is with him.”

“I am not surprised. Legolas always had a fear of that wolf.” Erestor offered to take the pail of milk, but Galadriel shook her head. He waited until Galadriel and Glorfindel were out of the barn before he lifted the lantern from the hook it was on and followed after them.

They entered the house to find that Haldir was already being settled into the parlor. The couch was covered with sheets, and a blanket had been spread out for when he felt like sleeping. Celebrian fluffed pillows as she assured Haldir that he was not a bother to anyone. Elrond was mulling wine for anyone who was interested, and Celeborn was in the kitchen making a tray of food. Galadriel brought the milk to the kitchen and kissed her husband’s cheek. “I have a feeling this is going to be a long night,” he said as he sliced vegetables and placed them on the serving tray.

“Thank you.” Galadriel stole a slice of cucumber from the arrangement. “Do you think I should start water for coffee?”

“It would not hurt,” decided Celeborn.

Glorfindel decided that everything was in control in the kitchen, and continued on to the parlor, where Erestor was already. Haldir was still sniffling, still wiping his eyes now and then, but seemed more willing to speak of details. “We were growing apart for some years. They were together long before I was ever involved. There were just some things I never..” He shrugged, reaching for the fresh handkerchief that Elrond offered him. He paused to blow his nose, but still sounded congested as he spoke. “I think I jumped into it too fast. I was still mourning for Arwen. I never gave myself the time I needed for that. I wanted to fill that void. I think part of me always knew I was the outsider, and that it would never last forever.”

He tried to blow his nose again. “They decided to move back into the palace. At first, it seemed like they just wanted some space, or they thought I needed space.” Haldir looked down. “It was yesterday. I was sitting on the porch reading, and I realized, they left me. I went straight to the palace to confront them about it. I just.. I wanted them to tell me I was being paranoid or stupid, and that it was something else.”

Elrond brought a cup of wine to Haldir, who took it but did not drink yet, as the steam was rising rapidly from the liquid. “Obviously, that was not the case. My worries were reality. I was not only informed by them that they were just avoiding what they believed was inevitable, because neither of them could decide how to bring it up. Instead, they were just avoiding it.” He pressed his lips together, not quite angry, not quite sad, but certainly not happy. “Elodien is with child again. I had no idea.”

“Are you sure that this separation is not something temporary?” asked Celeborn as he entered with Galadriel. They brought in the food they had prepared, setting it on the table at the center of the room. “Your mother and I, on more than one occasion, felt the need to spend time apart. Do you think that they might change their minds?”

“No. I will be honest.. I feel rejected. I feel terrible, but.. I am not feeling any longings over it,” he finally settled on. “It is not so much that I want to remain with them so much as it is that I do not want to be alone.”

Celebrian leaned over and hugged Haldir. “You will never be alone here,” she assured him. “It is good to have you back here, although I wish the circumstances were different.”

“As do I,” agreed Haldir. He blew over the top of the cup, rippling the dark red wine, before taking a tiny, soundless sip. “I suppose you will not need to nag me so much now about writing to you.”

“I would still appreciate a letter now and then,” said Celebrian.

Elrond changed the topic, sensing that Haldir had said all he intended to before a large audience. The entire household stayed up late, opting to discuss anything and everything that would keep Haldir in the discussion without bringing up either of his now ex-lovers. No one could miss how he twisted a ring that was on his finger around and around, and when most of the others decided it was time for bed, Haldir removed it and held it out to Elrond. “I believe this belongs to you.”

“You can keep it if you want,” offered Elrond hesitantly. “I would not have offered it if I did not want you to have it.”

Haldir looked at the blue jeweled ring in his hand and sucked on his bottom lip. He shrugged and set it aside on a table. “I suppose we can worry about it later.”

“If you need anything, feel free to call upon me,” insisted Celebrian as she bowed her head and kissed Haldir on the cheek. “Tomorrow, we will figure out which room you would like me to clear out so that you will not have to sleep here much longer.”

“Any of the rooms would be fine, except—“

“I know,” she said knowingly. “Not that one,” she agreed, knowing he meant the room that he, Elodien, and Legolas had once lived in. She hugged him twice before she followed her husband to the stairs. Celeborn and Galadriel stayed up a little later, but they, too, grew tired and finally said their goodnights and escorted each other from the room.

Glorfindel stretched his arms above his head. “I need to be up early,” he declared. He yawned, and then reached out to squeeze Erestor’s hand. “Come tuck me in and then you can come back,” he said.

“You can go to bed, Atadar,” said Haldir as he glanced at Erestor. “I will be fine. I promise not to drown in a pool of tears.”

“I would stay up late whether it was out here or in the bedroom,” said Erestor. “I will be right back.” He followed Glorfindel out of the room and to their room, which was located across from the kitchen. It was the only bedroom on the ground floor. “Will you be alright without me tonight?”

“Me?” Glorfindel pretended to think this over. “A night, spent alone… not sure. Have you any wayward sheep I can count?” he asked, but he only received a slap to his shoulder. It was Erestor who was the insomniac; Glorfindel could fall asleep the moment his head hit the pillow. “I should be fine. “ He lowered his voice. “I just want to make sure you do not take this personally.”

“What?” Erestor was changing into looser, more comfortable clothing, just in case he happened to fall asleep while in the parlor.

“Haldir and Elodien and Legolas. You helped orchestrate all of that; I do not want you walking around pouting about it. This happened, and not because of you.”

“Yes, sir.” Erestor saluted.

“Honestly, Ress…”

“Sorry.” Erestor sighed. “I just wish he could.. not have this always happen.”

Glorfindel drew back the covers and crawled into bed. “Waiting can be worth it,” he reminded his own mate.

“Yes. But who is he waiting for?” Erestor approached the bed and leaned over to kiss Glorfindel goodnight. “I do not want him to give up hope like I once did,” he said softly.

Glorfindel lifted a hand to touch Erestor’s cheek. “I will say something about that, but I do not want you to take this personally or be upset by it.” He waited until Erestor nodded, and then said, “Haldir is stronger than you are, darling. In many ways.” He was not sure what sort of reaction to expect, but he sighed in relief when Erestor nodded and leaned in to kiss him again. “You can leave the lamp lit,” he said, though the reminder was unnecessary.

Erestor turned the screw on the lamp to darken the room a bit, but left the lamp on the counter at the window lit. He turned back around to see that Glorfindel had already escaped into reverie.

Back in the parlor, Haldir was standing at the open window, peering out in the distance. When Erestor joined him, he said, “I let Greyson out. I think he wanted to hunt.”

Erestor smiled. “He is a wolf.” He lifted up a bundle of clothing. “I thought you might want to change into something else to sleep in. If you want, Elrond’s den is unoccupied. You could change there.”

With a nod, Haldir took the clothing. “I assume these to be Glorfindel’s and not yours,” he said.

“If you want me to, I can get some of mine,” he offered.

“No, thank you,” chuckled Haldir, smiling for the first time Erestor could recall that evening. “I prefer not to have an extra foot of fabric flopping around past my ankles.”

“You could always roll them up,” suggested Erestor helpfully as Haldir left the parlor. He leaned out of the window in order to close it before drawing the curtains. While waiting for Haldir to return, he tidied up the room and took empty plates to the kitchen. Then he ladled out a cup of mulled wine for himself and another for Haldir just as his son returned.

Haldir took hold of the cup that was offered to him and said, “I feel bad for not feeling worse.”

“Ah.” Erestor nodded and moved to sit in the chair nearest to the couch.

“I suppose, since I already dealt with this once before.. with Legolas, at least.. it hurts less this time. It still hurts,” said Haldir. “I just.. I feel less attached or something. I think it would have been worse if it had come up before they began to remove themselves.”

“It does not sound as if you want to see if anything can be done to remedy the situation,” observed Erestor.

“The situation has been remedied. They moved on, and I moved out.” Haldir looked down into the cup and poured the contents back into the kettle. He moved around the room, remembering things about it, checking to see if the same books were there before he settled on the couch. “I think it is going to be a while before I really move on again. I do know that I do not want to be around them for a while. If there are family gatherings that they are invited to, I would prefer not to be there. I will not suggest others say anything to them or do things differently; there is no need for that. I just know that it is going to be a while before I can stand to see them again.”

“I understand,” said Erestor. “We can deal with that when it happens. I think right now, everyone under this roof cares primarily about you.”

“I appreciate that, but I do not want to cause a rift between anyone,” added Haldir.

Erestor scooped up a handful of carrot slices that were on one of the trays still in the parlor. As he ate them one by one, he appeared to be in thought over the most recent events. “Is there anything I can do, Haldir?” he finally asked.

“Not really. Not now, at least. I am sure I will seek your advice or at least your ear in the near future. If it is all the same to you, though, I think I just want to spend some time alone right now.”

“Of course.” Erestor popped the last carrot chunk into his mouth and picked up his wine. “You know where you can find me,” he said as he crossed the room to give Haldir a hug. “You can interrupt at any time.”

Haldir returned the hug. “Thank you. Sleep well.”

Erestor returned to the room he and Glorfindel shared, only to find Glorfindel sitting up in bed reading. “Everything alright?”

Glorfindel looked up. “I wanted to ask you the same thing.”

“Not ‘fine’, but, yes, you are correct. As usual,” he added as Glorfindel smirked. “He is stronger than I am.”

“Not just you. Stronger than most people.”

“I noticed you did not put yourself in that category,” said Erestor.

Glorfindel put the bookmark between the pages he was reading and set the book aside. “Few are stronger than I am.” He winked.

Erestor tilted his head. “Not with Haldir in the parlor,” he said.

“I never asked,” replied Glorfindel with an innocent shrug.

“You were thinking it,” scolded Erestor.

“Never,” Glorfindel disputed as Erestor turned the lamp down further. “I am the perfect example of a proper elf.”

“Sure you are,” Erestor replied.

Glorfindel laughed. “That sounded sarcastic, but I will take it anyhow.”