Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Autumn was fast approaching, and while the last month had been spent as a continuation of previous work, it was also evident that preparations would need to be made for those intending to spend the winter. At this point, there were over fifty people working on the project, and these were split into several groups. Orophin handled the outdoor carpenters, while another team led by Eledu set to constructing shelving for the library and the workbenches and desks that the crafters and scholars would need. Mahtan found himself in charge of the rest of the construction operations, and Amarie organized the tailors and other artisans. Finrod and Erestor coordinated the gathering of books and scrolls, and the constant attempts to attract a balanced group of professors.

There were a few whose tasks were somewhat unaccounted for. Glorfindel had been managing the assets from the beginning, but now it seemed that was all he really did for the project. The rest of his time was spent in the main room, smoking his pipe, reading or writing, or talking to Greyson. Haldir was almost entirely unaccounted for; he would be gone now for days at a time, and no one, save Orophin, Glorfindel, and Greyson, seemed to take notice. Finally, there was Beleg, who had always seemed on the outside of it all from the beginning.

Beleg admitted privately to Glorfindel on the night of the return from Rumil’s inn that he had never formally attended a school, could barely write, and only understood pieces of what he read. This had forged a bond between them, with Glorfindel able to recount to Beleg how Erestor spent time teaching him how to read and write when they were in Gondolin. This revelation seemed to put Beleg a little more at ease, but whenever the opportunity arose for him to venture beyond the estate, he took it. Such was the case when it was discovered that the weeds had so overtaken he property that there were no healing herbs of any sort left growing there. Beleg immediately accepted the task of scouting the hills alone in order to gather components, should there be need of them later. It was expected to take the better part of two weeks, but it was more difficult than expected, and took Beleg three weeks before he made it back.

The first person Beleg encountered when he returned from his scouting of the grounds was Glorfindel. He entered the room, waved at the blond, and then sunk down in one of the upholstered chairs which were now in the room and looked about to take a nap. He closed his eyes, and then opened one eye to peek at Glorfindel. “Well, that is certainly interesting. I had no idea you were able to grow a beard.”

Glorfindel was reading one book and making notes in another. He yawned as he nodded. “I had one for all of two weeks once, but Erestor did not like it.”

“Huh. Changed his mind?”

“He cut his hair. I am rebelling against him.” Glorfindel looked up and added, “Though, I find I sort of like it.”

“His hair, or your beard?”

Glorfindel checked over his shoulder to be sure they were alone before he answered. “Both, actually. He is gorgeous with long hair, but when he is not hiding behind it, he acts differently. Looks different, in a good way. As for the beard.. I feel older. Again, in a good way.”

“It looks good on you. Then again, I might be a bit biased,” Beleg said as he stroked the goatee on his own chin. “Are you just going to let it grow, or did you have a style in mind?”

“I have no idea right now. I suspect it needs to grow a little before I can make a decision about that.” Glorfindel set his work aside and asked, “Did you always have yours trimmed that way, or is that how Fingon likes it?”

Beleg looked taken aback from the question. “Why would he have an opinion about it?”

Now Glorfindel looked unsure. “I.. just thought..”

“Oh.” Beleg shook his head. “No..” He tapped his left index finger on the arm of the chair. “I mean, we are companions, I suppose I would consider any advice he would have, but.. you thought we were lovers?”

“I.. well, yes,” admitted Glorfindel.

Beleg smiled. “We fill a void for each other, but he does not have the desires that most have. I have accepted that; I have no desire to force change in him.”

“Oh.” Glorfindel thought a moment and then asked, “Are you both sleeping in the same bed in the room, though?”

“Ah.. that. No.” Beleg looked embarrassed. “We were not sure what to do about that in the beginning. He and I have been trading off on sleeping on the floor.”

“We could move another bed into the room,” offered Glorfindel.

Beleg shook his head. “I prefer not to be a bother.” There was a knock on the door, and Glorfindel folded his spectacles and tucked them away before he went to answer it. Beleg took the opportunity to move a stool, which he used to prop his feet up.

Glorfindel returned with a stack of letters and a few packages. “The weekly post just arrived. I hope you do not mind if I distribute these.”

Beleg’s answer came in the form of light snoring.

With a smile, Glorfindel left what had become the main house and traveled about the estate, poking into buildings here and there to find the recipients. He saved the items addressed to Erestor and Finrod for the last, and reached the library to find the pair working silently yet diligently on labeling the shelving that had already been installed. “Break time,” Glorfindel announced as he separated the items and handed them out.

Finrod walked over to accept the letter from his son and the package of sweets from his sister. He held out the box once he opened it, but Glorfindel declined the offer as he held up his own box and showed Finrod that one had been delivered for Erestor as well. “I feel as if Artanis has been here with us in spirit if nothing else. I am actually very surprised that she did not join us here.”

With a little coaxing, Erestor finally joined the others to open his gift and flip through the letters he received. “I asked if she had interest in teaching, and she declined. I think she and Celeborn are very settled at the farm.” Erestor set aside two envelopes with requests for admission to the school and another from a prospective instructor. There was a letter addressed to both himself and Glorfindel that had come from Tintilien, and another from Elrond. There was also one from Cirdan, and Erestor set everything else aside to tear this one open. “Oh, damn.”

“Something wrong?” asked Finrod as he licked sugar from a piece of marzipan off of his fingers.

“I forgot about Tol Eressea.” Erestor frowned guiltily at the letter. “They are requesting the nature of the lecture I will be giving in three weeks.. and this is dated from..” He flipped the page back to the front. “I need to be there in four days. I am going to have to leave tomorrow. Tonight, maybe.”

“You can make it if you leave tomorrow,” said Glorfindel as Finrod picked up his letters and walked back across the room to give the couple a little privacy.

“I do not want to abandon everything here.”

“You are not abandoning things,” Glorfindel assured him. “Everyone will understand that you had this commitment before you came here.”

Erestor fidgeted with the sheet in his hands. “What if something goes wrong while I am away?”

“I can always farspeak to you.”

“You are not coming with me?” Erestor looked a bit concerned.

“Do you want me to?” Glorfindel smiled. “I never have before.”

“But.. well, before was always just.. you were only in Alqualonde,” said Erestor, lowering his voice, though Finrod could still hear his words. “I am going to miss you terribly,” he admitted.

“Good,” whispered Glorfindel back. “Come on. We need to get you packed if you are going to set out in the morning.”