Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“I will be back in less than two weeks,” promised Erestor as he petted the top of Greyson’s head. The wolf whimpered and wagged his tail. “I know. I guess you just have to settle with everyone else spoiling you while I am away.” He held out a lamb bone that had been leftover from the previous night and offered it to the wolf, who had yet been able to hunt on his own. Greyson greedily chomped down on it with wide eyes and limped off to enjoy it in the corner.

Erestor said his farewells to the rest of the group, left Finrod in charge on Glorfindel’s suggestion, and was presented a large basket of baked goods, dried meat, and brightly wrapped candies by Salgant. “These are for your trip,” he informed Erestor as the carriage was being loaded. “I had to promise Duilin I would not eat anything before I gave it to you.”

“Thank you.. I doubt I will need all of this food for such a short journey,” said Erestor as he explored what was in the basket. “Are you certain that you do not want to leave some of this here for the others?”

“I promised Duilin I would give it to you,” answered Salgant, but he was already in the process of gathering up some of the treats. “Now, remind me, Erestor, are you a vegetarian or a vegan?”

“Vegetarian. You can leave a couple of those,” he said when he noticed Salgant managed to stack up all of the sweetrolls in one hand. One of them was placed back into the basket, and Salgant scooped up all of the jerked beef. “Here.” Erestor reached out to take an apple pastry from the top of Salgant’s stack and then held the basket back out. “Keep it for your stash. If Duilin asks when I return, I will deny everything.”

“Ah-ha! Thank you, Erestor, you are a true friend!” Salgant dumped the food into the basket and reached out to pat Erestor’s back. He realized his fingers were coated in sugary frosting, and he drew them back to lick the sweetness off. Erestor took the opportunity to climb up onto the carriage. “Safe travels to you!” called out Salgant as Erestor picked up the reins in the hand not holding his pastry.

“I will only be gone for a few days,” Erestor assured Salgant. “You better go hide that before Duilin catches you.” He watched Salgant sneak away with the basket and shook his head as he bit into the pastry.

Glorfindel held out a hand. He had been perched on the carriage after loading it, and was waiting for Erestor. The plan was for him to travel with Erestor for an hour or so to allow them to talk in private for the first time in months that seemed like years, and then to rehitch the carriage with one horse so that he could ride the other back to the school. “Would you like me to take the reins?” he asked.

Erestor took a second bite of the pastry and then handed this to Glorfindel instead. “How can he eat so much of that? I like sweets as much as the next person, but that is positively saturated with sugar.”

Glorfindel tried the treat as Erestor got them underway. “I see what you mean. I barely taste the apple. Do you want the rest of this?”

“Not really.”

Glorfindel looked over his shoulder and waited until they were out sight of the hilltop, and then flung the remaining part of the pastry off onto the grass. “I just made some bear cub’s day,” he said as he wiped the stickiness from his fingers. “Have you decided on the topics of your lectures?”

“I know one of them is going to be about Tengwar’s evolution from Sarati. Wonder where I got that from,” he said as he smirked at Glorfindel. “Not sure on the others.”

“Have you ever given a talk about Gondolin?” Glorfindel wondered.

“No. I refuse to discuss Gondolin. I have a few ‘off limits’ topics that the institute there is aware of.” Erestor tied off the reins and leaned back when it was obvious the horses knew where they were going. “I do talk about you when I discuss Imladris.”

“I did not mean it like that.”

Erestor put an arm loosely around Glorfindel and nodded. “I was just teasing you.”

“Perhaps I should have planned to come with you.”

Erestor sat back up. “You still could if you wanted to,” he offered.

Glorfindel shrugged. “I think I should stay here. I.. get the feeling you need some time alone.”

Erestor scratched his brow and sighed. “A lot has happened very fast. You are probably right that I need some time to think, but I would not mind spending the time with you.”

“You will be back with me soon enough,” said Glorfindel.

“With you and fifty or sixty of our closest friends,” remarked Erestor. “I may not make it back in time for the workers that are coming from Valimar. Considering the reaction some Vanyar have to Noldor, I appreciate your decision to stay and play host in my absence. However, if you want to change your mind, I am positive that Finrod and Amarie would manage the situation.”

“I am certain they could as well,” confirmed Glorfindel. “All the same, as much as I want to be with you, I can tell you need time to think.”

“On one hand, I wish you would just come with me,” admitted Erestor. “On the other hand, you know exactly what needs to be done and what I intend to have happen. I would hate to return to disarray and disagreement.”

“In that case, perhaps this is where we should say our farewells.” Glorfindel reached for the reins and gave a gently tug to lead the horses off the path. It only took a few minutes for he and Erestor to unhitch the carriage and rework everything. Fool of a Took was hitched up again and Glorfindel mounted Thay. “Take the time you need,” said Glorfindel in parting. “If you want to stay away for a few days and think about things, I understand. I would rather you return with a clear mind than befuddled thoughts.” He leaned down to kiss Erestor. “Love you.”

“I love you, too. I still plan to return soon.” Erestor climbed back onto the carriage, but did not make any additional progress until Glorfindel directed Thay to gallop down another path. As he watched Glorfindel race away, Erestor knew he was not the only one with a clouded mind.