Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Most of the discussion on the journey back to the mainland had been about various bits and pieces of news and a continuation from the lectures. Haldir spent most of his time listening to Erestor and Rumil talk and keeping Greyson calm, since they were navigating the waters at night, and it put Greyson on edge.

As soon as they were able to tie the boat to the dock, Greyson jumped out of the boat and romped across the sand. Haldir went ahead to alert the rest of the household of their guest, while Erestor carefully removed the crate from the boat that contained his lecture notes. “How long did you intend to make me wait before you tell me what you came to tell me?” asked Erestor as he and Rumil began a leisurely stroll to the house.

“I thought we were having good conversation,” answered Rumil teasingly. “Alright, then. You remember when you attended Sarati?”

Erestor nodded slowly. “How could I forget? It was my first ‘formal’ education. Even if it had not been, I doubt anyone who ever attended Sarati could forget it. No school like it before or since.”

“I seem to recall someone telling me once that there were many, many flaws in the way the school was run.” Rumil stooped down to pick up a particularly interesting smoothed rock from the shore.

Erestor cringed a little and slowed his pace. “The arrogance of youth?” he countered.

“No, no… when you are young, you are bold enough to speak up. When you are old like me, you continue on and on the way it has always been.” Rumil flung the stone down the beach for the next wanderer to find. “Still feel youthful enough to put your plan into action?”

“Uh..” Erestor had to turn away, loose hair obscuring his face and sheepish grin. “Plan.. right. I probably did have a plan, what, fifteen thousand years ago..”

“Feel youthful enough to come up with a new plan?” tried Rumil.

Erestor turned back again. “Are you asking me to help you reopen Sarati School?”

“I am asking if you want to reopen Sarati School.”

They stood on the beach staring at each other for a few minutes. When it was evident that Rumil had nothing more to say, Erestor responded with, “Are you certain that you want me to do this?”

“You were the only one who ever seemed to want to change things.”

“So did Feanor,” Erestor reminded his old mentor and employer.

Rumil gave a shrug and a little smile. “Feanor liked to complain about everything. I doubt he had a plan or any specific ideas.”

“I suppose it could be an interesting project,” admitted Erestor.

“The ruins were unearthed about two years ago. It took until last month for those who found it to figure out what it was. They came to me about it immediately, but I have the bar, and I am honestly not as young and enthusiastic as I once was. And the first person I thought about was you,” explained Rumil.

“I think you calling me young and enthusiastic are the best compliments I have received in a long time.”

“Think about it. I have the maps and the keys with me. Most of it has been locked up since it was abandoned, though there will probably be a significant number of items to be tended to when you get there.”

Erestor slowed down again before they reached the porch. “What are you going to do if I say no?”

“Those who found it thought it was unused land. They were going to build a residential area on the plateau, with a market built into the sides of the hill on the path to reach the grounds.” Rumil patted Erestor’s shoulder. “I can tell you are uncertain about this. I am not going to be upset if you say no. The land will still be put to good use.”

“The structures would be torn down, though,” assumed Erestor. “It would be hard to convert those towers into residences.”

“That is true,” agreed Rumil. “It is not going to happen tomorrow, though,” he assured Erestor. “You have time to think it over. I can probably stay for a few days while you talk it over with your family.”

“I will probably have an answer for you shortly after dinner,” said Erestor as Haldir opened the front door and waved them in.

***

Following supper and much discussion of what had been unearthed and Rumil’s offer, several members of the household adjourned to the porch for a glass of wine. On one side, Rumil sat with Erestor, Glorfindel, and Haldir. “I think my biggest concern is whether or not I still have the energy to keep up with this sort of project,” said Erestor.

“I think it could be done,” said Glorfindel carefully. “My greater concern is that you do not spread yourself too thin. You have obligations in so many places, that I worry you will find no time for yourself.”

“I could help,” piped up Haldir eagerly. He had not said very much for most of the evening, but had listened to everything being discussed. “I know that I hardly understand exactly what the Sarati School was, though it sounds that it had less to do with the language and more to do with everything else. However, I used to teach now and then in a formal setting, and less formally, I taught the other wardens every day when I was in Lothlorien.”

Erestor watched Haldir continue to talk, and Glorfindel watched Erestor. The blond finally poured himself more wine, certain that a decision had already been reached. There was little that Erestor would deny his son, and at such a time, anything that would make Haldir happy again would be something that Erestor would do without much thought.

Glorfindel tapped his foot against Erestor’s heel to gain his spouse’s attention. No words were exchanged, simply looks and expressions, as Haldir and Rumil carried on, voice a little louder as they exchanged stories, easy laughter, and occasionally finishing each other’s sentence. Erestor shrugged, gave Glorfindel something of a pout, and smiled. Glorfindel shook his head, sighed, but smiled back and sipped his wine.

They were in possession of the keys and maps before the end of the night.