Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Haldir watched the field. He was supposed to be hunting, hoping to catch sight of a wild boar or a buck that would feed the growing population of renovators, who had spent nearly a month now working on the estate.

Actually, he was hunting, but not for supper. There was a woman there, and she was dancing. She was also fiddling, and it was a show unlike anything he had ever seen before.

Her steps were light as the music, and hastened with the notes. She tiptoed through the tall grass with every pizzicato note, and leapt like a deer when her bow slid quickly over the strings. Her dress was gauzy and of various earthen tones, and her hair was woven with branches so that it appeared she had some sort of antleresque headdress. It was a concert that she played for herself. Off she went to the forest, and Haldir followed.

As she jumped over fallen branches and logs, so, too, did he have to, quickening his pace in order to follow after her without losing sight of the wood nymph. He caught sight of her feet when he came close enough, and noted that they were bare. The bottom of her dress was ragged, not because she was unkempt, but because it snagged on the brush as she danced along. She looked at him over her shoulder a few times, so he stopped trying to hide himself. A smile played on her lips and she weaved around trees in a place very familiar to her. Her fingers never faltered, and she rushed to and fro, her laughter now mingling with her violin.

There was a cottage ahead, and Haldir sensed that she was headed for it. When she was but a few steps from the door, he called out to her. “Wait!” She turned her head, still playing the violin. Her feet daintily tiptoed back around so that she was facing him. “Do not go. Not yet.” She tilted her head, still playing. “Uh…” He bit his lip, and then recalled words from years ago and modified them. “Break my calm, my reverie. Stay outside and dance with me.”

She smiled and slowly swayed in his direction—and then, she was off again, dancing into the woods once more. Haldir fumbled in his pocket, and found it—the small flute that Erestor had given him long ago. He danced after the mysterious woman and joined in the song, and as he followed, he felt his heart sing out, his soul rejoice, and whenever he caught her gaze, he felt like this was where he belonged.

***

“Where were you?” asked Orophin when Haldir returned. It was nearly midnight, and Haldir was no longer wearing his shoes.

“Out,” he replied casually as he approached the fire and sat down beside Glorfindel. They stayed indoors now, for the main building was suitable enough and kept the mosquitos away. Haldir felt a little guilty when he noticed that the remains of the stew at the fire were something containing only vegetables, but pushed it out of his mind quickly. Orophin crossed his arms and tapped his foot after closing the door.

“Where?” prodded Orophin.

“Are you my mother?” asked Haldir.

Orophin stuck his tongue out at Haldir. “There was a time when you would tell me where you had been all night,” he pouted as he sat down next to Haldir.

“Out,” he repeated. When Orophin stopped sighing, he added, “With a lady.”

“Oh?” Orophin sat up straight. “Someone we know?”

“Doubtful,” answered Haldir. He had gained attention from both Erestor and Enedrion now.

“Nearby?” asked Erestor. Haldir nodded. “Someone who came to visit?” Haldir shook his head. “Odd; I did not realize anyone else was living in this area.”

“She lives in the woods,” explained Haldir.

“All alone?” queried Enedrion. Haldir nodded. “Interesting…”

“Who is she?” asked Erestor. Haldir shrugged. “Did she tell you her name?” He shook his head. “Did you tell her yours?” Haldir had to pause to think, but shook his head again. “Have you seen her before?” Haldir gestured in the negative again.

“Alright, leave him alone,” spoke up Glorfindel. “Sometimes, people prefer to keep things to themselves, Erestor.”

There was something of a growl to Glorfindel’s voice and everyone in the room exchanged looks but said nothing more. Mahtan decided now was a good time to retire for the night, Enedrion excused himself for a walk, and the rest stayed in their semi-circle around the fire. Erestor quietly retrieved his violin, and chose to sit back down near Orophin. Erestor played through several songs, and as Orophin felt that the tension was beginning to ebb away, he turned to Erestor. “So, this might be a bad question to ask, but—“

“Then do not ask it,” suggested Erestor.

Orophin pouted, but let it go. Haldir stirred the stew, but did not take any. Glorfindel just stared into the flames. None of them made the move to be the next to retire for the night, and so Erestor continued to play on.

It was fairly late when a knock was heard on the door. Erestor lowered his violin and looked at Orophin who shrugged. “No one else told me that they were going to come here yet,” he said. He in turn looked at Haldir. “Perhaps it is your mysterious friend.”

Glorfindel walked to the door and opened it without a moment’s hesitation. On the other side was a bearded ellon. “Good evening,” he said with a bow of his head. “Am I to assume that this is the base of operations for the school which is set to reopen?”

“Indeed. Please come in,” offered Glorfindel, but the ellon held a hand up.

“In a moment. I must inform my companion that this is the correct address,” he said. He disappeared again, and Erestor set down his violin and scrambled over.

“Fin! Do you know who that is?”

“Uh.. no,” admitted Glorfindel. “You tend to know people better than I do. Being, you know, old and all that,” he added when Erestor gave him a disappointed look. He was rewarded with a scowl.

“That is--“

“Beleg Cuthalion,” answered Orophin in awe. He grabbed Haldir’s arm. “Beleg Cuthalion was just standing in the doorway!” He bounced on the bench. “Halli… Halli… Beleg Cuthalion was just here!” he squeaked.

“Yes. Yes, I gathered as much,” answered Haldir as he pried his brother’s fingers from his arm. “Maybe you should go and introduce yourself,” suggested Haldir.

Orophin, for once, was suddenly shy. “Oh… no, no, no… that is *Beleg*. The best bowman ever. Ever ever. Forever. The end.”

This amused Glorfindel and Haldir. Erestor ignored them and stepped outside of the house—to find another unexpected visitor. “Your majesty,” he said, bowing at the doorway. It made the others curious, and they joined Erestor at the door.

“Whoa.” Orophin looked stunned. “How did they know to come all the way out here?”

To the side of Beleg stood a tall, slender ellon. His hair was braided with threads of gold, and his eyes keenly took in everything. “It is not ‘your majesty’, Erestor, you know that,” he corrected.

“How can I not give you the respect you are due,” replied Erestor.

The elf shrugged. “Just call me Fin.” He closed his eyes a moment and smiled. “Ah, right, I forgot.. that could be tricky.”

“It would be even trickier if I was a Fin, too, but I happen to be a Phin,” noted Orophin. When Beleg gave the young ellon a confused look, Orophin quickly apologized. “Just a joke. Sorry! Orophin – I am such a big fin of yours. I mean, fan.. big fan. Huge.” He cleared his throat. “I will just be hiding inside,” he declared as he ducked back into the house again.

“That was Orophin,” explained Haldir. “He is my younger brother; he really does happen to be rather fond of you, Beleg. Well met,” he added with a bow. “I am.. Haldir Erestorion,” he said, and Erestor smiled dotingly upon his son.

Beleg bowed back. “I am pleased to meet you. Erestor; it is good to see you again. I.. did not catch your name,” he said apologetically as he looked to the blond ellon near Erestor.

“Glorfindel,” came the answer. “The other Fin.”

“Ah! Certainly a pleasure,” declared Beleg. “My Fin is fond of your Fin,” he said to Erestor with a smirk.

Haldir caught it first. “So..” He smiled as he noticed Fingon bite his tongue and gaze sideways.

Beleg turned his head and noticed that Fingon was a good pace behind him. He beckoned the other elf nearer. “I hope it is alright that we came unannounced. As soon as Fingon heard about it, we were packed. We considered waiting, but, we were packed.” Beleg shrugged and looked at Fingon for further explanation.

“I never had the opportunity to attend the school,” Fingon said. “I was busy with gymnastic competition. The very last class through the school would have been the very first one I was eligible for. Even if I had wanted to, I would have been too old following my eligibility for competition. When Enedrion told me what was going on, I thought this might be my chance to be a part of it.”

“Any help is appreciated,” said Erestor. “I regret to say that Enedrion stepped out for a walk and has yet to return.”

“Oh, I assumed as much,” said Fingon quickly as he looked up at the sky. “I expect we will see him tomorrow in the afternoon.”

Glorfindel looked concerned. “He did not say he would be gone that long.”

“He will be,” said Fingon firmly. “Do not worry. He does this often. He was the one who wrote to us, you know.”

“Shall we go in?” offered Haldir. He held the door open as the others filtered in. Fingon nodded in the direction of the horses, and without further explanation went to tend to them himself. “Would you like any help?” Haldir asked when the others entered the house. Fingon looked over his shoulder and shook his head. Haldir followed the rest inside and shut the door to keep the wind out.

Inside, they found that Orophin had put a kettle on for tea and set out bowls of dried fruit and nuts as well as some sliced cheese. “I did not know if anyone would be hungry, so I fixed something. I can make more of a meal if you like,” he offered nervously.

“How thoughtful. Thank you; I think we will be fine.” Beleg waited until Orophin was seated, and then he took the seat beside him. “I take it you are a fellow archer?”

Orophin seemed to have forgotten how to speak for a moment. “Wh—ah.. uhm… yes. Yes, I arch. I mean, I shoot. I… yes. Archer. Me.” He groaned. “Excuse me. Me, idiot.” Orophin stumbled over the bench as he stood up and nodded quickly to everyone before he left the room to go to the level that they used for sleeping.

“He seems very.. skittish,” noted Beleg after Orophin closed the door behind him.

“Not usually,” said Haldir. “It is an honor to meet you, sir. I think he will be a bit better tomorrow when he grasps the fact that you are really here and that he can talk to you just as he talks to every—“ Haldir cut himself off. “On second thought, perhaps it is best for you that he remain this way.”