Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Singme, Resser, singme singme,” begged Legolas, his tiny fists gripping the delicate braids Avisiel had woven to keep Erestor’s hair from being unruly during his long journey. Holding the babe for one last time, Erestor managed to sing his favorite lullaby to him as the winds from the west began to pick up and blow at them with bitter cold.


Run with me through the greenest grass
Tumble into the depths of the bluest sea
Look up and see the silver stars
As golden flowers caress our feet
Past the purple mountains far
Over ginger fields that smell sweet
A land awaits you, little star
Found only in your sleep

“Againnow?” Legolas’ bottom lip trembled, for though so young, he must have known the answer.

“No againnow, little leaf.” Erestor swallowed hard and handed the tearful elfling back to his mother. He himself looked quite forlorn, and he hesitated as he gave the mouth of the caves one final look. Standing in the shadows of the entrance was Thingol, glaring at them. Thranduil took a closer look, and shook his head when he noted the long sword strapped to the king’s side, hand on the hilt.

One by one, Erestor said his final farewells to his family and friends, with very few words exchanged. He would write when he reached wherever he was going, wherever that ended up being. Avisiel placed Legolas down on the ground beside his brother to hug Erestor tightest of all of them. The old elf then bent down, kissing each of the elflings affectionately and saying some small blessing over each of them. Legolas whined when his attempts to be picked up again were thwarted when Erestor stepped away. “Well. Until we meet again,” he said at last, and walked backwards to the dogs that awaited him. He looked at the group again, then climbed into the small sled and pulled the hood of his cloak over his head to hide his profile. There was very little tied to the back of the sleigh, so when he cracked the whip, the dogs pulling it began to run at an incredible speed.

Nothing was said as he rode out of their sight, until he was far enough not to hear it. “I hope you are happy with what you have done,” shouted Oropher, loud enough for his words to reach Thingol. “You have just lost the most powerful ally you had in Doriath!”

Thingol gave him a look of disbelief, and then began to laugh. “Erestor? A powerful... ally? Surely, Oropher...” The king continued to laugh at what he seemed to believe a terribly funny joke.

Turning to look back down the road, Oropher quietly remarked, “I did not mean Erestor. Come, Thranduil, Thaladir, we have things to attend to.” Oropher clasped each of them upon a shoulder. “I have-“ His abrupt stop was prompted by the sight of his youngest grandchild, who had lifted himself up onto his feet, and was tottering uneasily in the direction of the sled tracks in the snow.

“Resser?” Legolas fell forward, catching himself from falling completely with his hands out in front of him. He righted himself and made it a few more steps before swaying on his tiny legs. “Resser?” he called a little louder.

No one seemed able to move. The ellith stood, clutching tearstained cloths, watching him as they both cried silently. The ellyn watched the elfling call in vain for his favorite lullaby singer and bedtime story teller. Not even Thingol budged from his spot. Finally, as Legolas’ shouts became punctuated with panicked sobs, it was Ilmendin who came forward.

The slightly older elfling wrapped his arms around his brother, halting him from any more clumsy steps. While captured in the bear hug, Legolas called out once more for his lost friend. “Erestor’s gone, Legolas. He went away.”

“Resser’s coming back,” Legolas stated with conviction, but Ilmendin shook his head.

“Erestor’s not coming back,” he whispered. When Legolas started to wail, Ilmendin hugged his brother with one arm and patted his head with his free hand.

Unnoticed by the others, Thingol had decided to approach. “Now, now, young one,” he said, walking past the adults and coming to stand before the elflings, “there is no need for you to cry over this. Erestor was not a trustworthy elf. He did things that were very bad.”

Thranduil’s fists began to ball up, but his wife took hold of one hand, threading her fingers with his, and gave him a pleading look. He shoved his fist in his pocket, and tried with great difficulty not to glare.

“I sent Erestor away to protect everyone here, just like your father keeps bad things away from you to keep you safe. Now, tell me, doesn’t that make you feel better?” asked Thingol.

Legolas was still sniffling, but through his tears he looked up to see Thingol and his false smile. Although not the most graceful move, nor the most polite, Thranduil long considered what happened next to be one of the proudest memories he had regarding his son.

“Aiya! Little beast! Get him off of me!” roared Thingol as Legolas now wrapped his legs around Thingol’s one and bit him again. In the commotion, Thaladir and Oropher knocked their heads together, Ilmendin began to cry, and Avisiel managed to wrestle her son off of Thingol before the king flung him off. “Disgraceful,” he growled at them, sneering at Legolas. He limped back to the caves, trying to retain some amount of dignity.