Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"Psst! Erestor!" Thranduil motioned that the ancient elf should come to the doorway he was hiding in. It was practically impossible to get the dark-haired scribe alone, for it seemed everyone sought his advice or services. Apologizing to Lhunerin, Erestor backtracked his steps gracefully to the doorway and gave Thranduil an inquiring look. "I have to show you something."

Nodding, Erestor followed Thranduil down the corridor until they reached one of the many passages that led outside. Thranduil glanced to the elf walking beside him a number of times before finally speaking. “I found something in the forest. Rather, someone.”

Erestor’s pace slowed but did not stop, and Thranduil adjusted his steps accordingly. “Who?”

“That is why I wanted you to come with me,” answered Thranduil. “In all honesty, I do not know.”

As Thranduil led Erestor further and further from the safety of the city, the elder elf appeared to grow more suspicious. “Have you been going beyond the girdle again, Thranduil?”

“What, only a little,” he replied with no hint of remorse or guilt. “Besides, I would not have found her if I had not.”

Erestor said no more as they walked through the trees, though Thranduil did take note that he looked back every now and then to judge the distance. When they came to a cluster of maples, Thranduil looked around very cautiously and listened. “Just a moment,” he said, moving to one of the larger trees. Thranduil untied a sack that was looped around his belt and opened it as he peered up into the branches. “I am back again,” he called up softly into the tree. “I have brought more food for you.”

Erestor watched from a distance of a few paces behind Thranduil as the leaves rustled just slightly. Very soon, a thin and somewhat neglected looking elleth came down the trunk and to the ground. She nearly knocked Thranduil over as she wrapped her arms around him. After holding her and speaking to her in a calm voice, the young elf managed to settle them both onto the ground and began to pull the food out of the bag.

“Remarkable,” said Erestor, still standing some distance from them. “I had heard rumors of wild tree elves, but I had not seen-“ He stopped as the elleth looked up at him abruptly. All color drained from her face and she trembled fiercely, clung to Thranduil, and screamed.

Pulling the elleth closer, Thranduil dropped the sack he had been holding and called out over the screams, “What happened? What did you do, Erestor?”

Shaking his head, Erestor began to back away. “I am not sure. I do not know.”

“Do not leave!” shouted Thranduil. “I want to get her into the city, and I do not know anyone who would have a better idea than you how to do that! She panics when I try to move her from the forest. She does not understand a word I say.”

“I am not leaving; I am just giving her some space. Show her I am backing down,” suggested Erestor. “How did she react to you the first time?”

“She hissed and she spat.”

“Maybe this is an improvement.”

Thranduil lifted a hand to touch the elleth’s cheek. For a moment she caught her breath and panted, a wild look in her eyes. Thranduil pointed toward the retreating elf and the elleth snarled and reared up in a manner fiercer than she had when first encountering Thranduil. “I do not think so,” called out the young elf.

“Right. Let us try something else.” Erestor lowered himself slowly onto the grass, sitting down with his legs out in front of him. “Bring her over here, show her I am not dangerous.”

Doing his best to calm the frantic elleth with whispered words and reassuring touches, Thranduil managed to coax her into standing up and walking halfway to where Erestor was before a low growl rose in her throat. “Erestor, push your hair back behind your ears.”

Erestor did as instructed, his movements fluid and non threatening. Resting on the grass again, he licked his lips and bit the bottom one in frustration when the noise continued to grow more enraged. “Is there anything else you did?” questioned the dark elf.

“Nothing I can think of,” Thranduil said regretfully. He stroked the back of the elleth’s neck, wishing he knew how to make her understand. There had to be some way of finding out why she had such a great fear of the calm elf that was now picking at a string that was loose on his boot. “What is wrong? Tell me what is wrong.” he said softly, hoping something of his question was understood.

Keeping an eye on Erestor, the elleth raised up her hands, palms facing Thranduil. He released her, and lifted his own hands, repeating the action, placing his palms against hers. Pulling away, she again showed him her palms, and then sat down on the ground and, still checking to make sure Erestor did not move, displayed her palms to him once more.

“Erestor, would you-“

“Yes, I understand quite clearly.” The elf sitting on the ground put up his hands, fingers spread and palms facing the elleth. From her spot on the ground, she relaxed a little, and then crawled forward until she was inches away from Erestor’s hands.

“Curious behavior,” remarked Thranduil as the elleth poked the center of Erestor’s right hand before taking it in her own, scrutinizing his palm.

“At least she is not hissing. Or biting,” reasoned Erestor as his other hand was taken to be examined, and then dropped to his lap to join his right. He was looked upon with a wary eye for a little longer, until the elleth scrambled back to Thranduil. Kneeling on the ground, Thranduil enfolded the elleth in his arms and she collapsed against him, shaking and sobbing.