Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Bundled in a worn green and white checkered quilt was a warm, sleeping elfling, hugged close to Glorfindel's chest. The elfling had been found earlier on the front porch of the seaside cottage in Valinor shared by Glorfindel and Erestor. "We don't know who put him there. I do know it's too cold for an elfling to survive for long, and they couldn't have known anyone would find him. There was no note, no one knocked on the door, nothing. I don't know who they are, but when we find them-"

"We won't," Erestor said softly, turning as the baby began to stir. Reaching down, he lifted back part of the blanket, tilting his head sadly. "I wish they would have waited to abandon him until he was a little stronger."

Galadriel nodded. "He needs to be fed, he's too thin," she noted, feeling the blanketed babe. Her frown deepened as she felt his little legs through the blanket. "He isn't fussing much," she said.

"He can't. He doesn't have the strength to." Taking the elfling away from Glorfindel, who was reluctant to let him go, Erestor revealed the thin, weak legs and Galadriel clutched her stomach as she took in the little one's marred face.

Turning away, Galadriel said, "Perhaps we can get him to Haldir's house. There is a chance Elodien could nurse him."

"We don't have that sort of time," concluded Erestor as he rewrapped the quilt and relinquished the baby back to Glorfindel. "I think the cow's milk would be too strong, so we came here to try the goats," he explained as Glorfindel tucked the baby back under his chin.

Giving a nod, Galadriel plucked a candle from the ones sitting in the hallway. "Let me get dressed and find a pail."

"I’ll go," said Erestor. "Just a wide bowl is fine for me, if there's one in the kitchen, and would you mind if we stayed, just until morning?"

"Yes, you know where they are. Here, I'll help you get one," she said as she followed Erestor down the dimly lit corridor.

"Erestor. However good your intentions, he may not survive," she hissed as she found the bowl. "I'm not going to say that in front of Glorfindel, but you must know from looking at that poor little thing-"

"He is NOT a thing," Erestor said as he cut her off. "He is my son." His eyes held a fire she had not seen before, but it died away as she handed him the bowl and bowed her head away. "Artanis, I'm sorry, I know what you meant. I just... how could anyone think to abandon their child?" His shoulders shook and the bowl dropped to the floor and shattered, but he made no move to pick up the pieces. Sagging as he leaned against the wall, he said through his tears, "I know him, Artanis, I know him."

"Stay here. I'll be right back." Galadriel retrieved another bowl and left the kitchen, passing Glorfindel on her way to the door. "Go up to the third floor, you can use Haldir's old rooms. Everything you need should be there, and I'll see if we still have a cradle when I return." She waited until he had started up the stairs before leaving the house for the barn.

"Thank you." Erestor took hold of the bowl when Galadriel returned. The floor had been swept, and Erestor was sitting at the table. He was standing up now, and moving to the door. "Where are they?"

"Third floor," she said. "Erestor?" He turned and looked at her. "If you need help, don't hesitate. If his parents- if the ones who left him on your stoop come by, what do you want me to tell them?"

Shaking his head, Erestor said, "They won't." He carried the bowl up two flights of steps and walked down the hall to the white and golden room. Glorfindel had managed to light a number of candles and had turned the desk chair around. He was rocking his body back and forth, whispering to the elfling as Erestor kicked the door shut with his foot.

Setting the bowl down on the desktop, Erestor placed a hand to Glorfindel's cheek. "I'm sorry," he said softly, as not to disturb Glorfindel's humming too much. "I know we should have discussed it, but... I don't think it was random he ended up on our porch. I think Eru's watching out for him."

"Well, Eru can't do it all on his own," Glorfindel said softly. Dipping his fingers into the bowl, he offered them to the elfling, but was met by a pouting and unhappy little face and had to use the corner of the quilt to dab at the drops that fell. "Any ideas?" asked Glorfindel as he stuck his pinky back into the bowl and tried again with less luck. He rubbed his finger on the baby's lips, which only served to make the elfling cry.

Moving to sit on the edge of the bed, Erestor lowered himself down, looking helpless as Glorfindel tried every finger on both hands, even trying to spoon it with his fingers together. Both the towel and his tunic were damp now, from the milk and from the sweat as Glorfindel's frustration with the situation grew. "Here, can you hold our son while I get this off?" asked Glorfindel, handing the baby to Erestor.

"I love you so much," answered Erestor, cradling the elfling as Glorfindel tossed the damp tunic and his shirt into a pile near the door. It wasn't until Glorfindel had taken possession of the child once again that Erestor burst into tears, fists clenched to his bowed face as he tried to sort out all of the emotions and thoughts he was having.

He looked up again when he realized that the sounds of a whimpering baby had been replaced by a slurping noise. "What are you- oh, it's dripping all over the floor," Erestor said, hastily retrieving a towel before returning to sop up mess from the rugs.

"Ah, but he's eating, and that's what matters," Glorfindel pointed out. Glorfindel had the little one cradled in his left arm. He dribbled the goats’ milk from his right hand down his own collarbone where most of it was sliding down his chest like a little white river. One tiny hand was waving lazily in the air as the other pressed to Glorfindel's skin. The elfling's mouth was latched on to Glorfindel, lazy-eyed but looking happier as he managed to suck much of the milk that trickled down to him.

"I suppose I'm wasting it this way," frowned Glorfindel as Erestor wiped the excess milk from his side and the chair

"I can get more," assured Erestor. "It's not a waste. I'll be back."

As Erestor moved out into the hallway, he ran into Elrond, who had just dressed and was leaving his room. Obviously, Galadriel was wasting little time in waking the household, or at least particular members. There was a grin on the peredhel's face as Erestor approached him. "Congratulations are in order, but first, did I overhear a need to milk the goats again?"

Giving a nod, Erestor allowed himself to fall victim to a lengthy speech in which he was imparted with every important piece of knowledge Elrond had ever wanted to tell a new father but had never been given the chance to do. The entire time milking the goats was filled with anecdotes from the childhood of the twins, Arwen, and Vilya as Elrond recalled everything from proud moments to be thrown up on, all of which was described in detail to Erestor as he sat silently on his stool and milked the goat.

As the pair came back inside and went up the stairs, Erestor said nervously, "Elrond, you might want to just... to not come in."

"Why not?" Stopping just short of the door, Elrond looked truly puzzled. "I'm right in the next room, Erestor, I heard everything going on," he admitted as he watched Erestor stare at the door uneasily. "I'm sorry, but I'm just right in the next room."

"That isn't why," whispered Erestor. "He... his face..."

"Erestor, is that you?" called out Glorfindel.

Hastily, Erestor reached for the handle of the door and entered, finding Glorfindel was not alone. Lined up on the bed were Galadriel, Nenniach, and Rumil, who was currently holding the baby. Erestor smiled when Rumil looked up and said, "I finally have a brother-in-law!"

"We've been helping to entertain," explained Galadriel. She was holding the damp towel, and walked with it to Erestor, handing it to him. "If you want, I offered to Glorfindel that I can try to-"

"Auntie," pouted Glorfindel, appealing to her in a way he rarely did but that tended to work, "if I'm going to be his Nana, then it's my task."

Feeling his throat tighten, Erestor swallowed down hard to keep himself from another breakdown. "Thank you, but I think we've managed to work something out."

"Alright, give them some space," directed Elrond, bringing in the second bucket and placing it next to the desk. He intercepted the baby before he reached Glorfindel and held the little elfling gently. "In the morning, bring him to me, I'll see what we can do for his legs," Elrond said, watching the baby follow the finger he moved back and forth, up and down in front of his eyes. "Well, then, here's your little peanut back," he laughed as Glorfindel impatiently tapped his foot.

Celeborn entered just as Elrond was leaving. "I can't find a crib or cradle to save my soul, but I can ride to get one tomorrow, or have Orophin build one. I'm sure he'd love to; you'll need one for here and one for your home. Everything went with Elodien when she was expecting."

"That's quite alright, it will take us at least until morning to see he is fed," said Glorfindel. "He can sleep in my arms after that. He likes it there, don't you, peanut?" he asked, trying out Elrond's nickname.

But Celeborn was musing to himself. "If I start now, though, make it there by noon... I'm going to leave now, in case anyone asks for me, I don't want to wake anyone back up."

"I don't think that they are all asleep again yet," said Erestor. "Really, it's not a problem, we can-"

"Glorfindel, may I borrow Asfaloth?" Elrond was back at the door, fastening his belt again, then looked at Celeborn's questioning expression. "I'll get provisions for us and we'll have breakfast on the way. No need for you to ride alone with two horses here. Glorfindel?"

"I have no reason to say no." Glorfindel was moving to the rocking chair that Rumil had brought up to the room as Celeborn and Elrond left. "Well, there we are. You worried they would smother us, but they're all being quite helpful."

Erestor moved a table beside the rocker and brought over a fresh bowl of milk. "Easy for you. Elrond lectured me already."

"Well, I got breastfeeding tips from your daughter," countered Glorfindel as he tucked a cloth under his arm to catch the runoff.

Pausing mid-step, Erestor turned. "Alright. You win." After turning down the bed with expectations that they would all need at least a little rest, Erestor then went to tend to the fireplace.

"Maybe this is odd to think or say," spoke Glorfindel as Erestor dragged the desk chair to the rocker, "but this is an incredible thing to be doing. I'm a little envious in that I... well, it's silly, but I wish for you that I was his real nana."

Recalling a conversation they had once had on the topic, Erestor gave Glorfindel a thankful smile and leaned forward to kiss his lips. "Whoever says you aren't will have his real ada to deal with."

Glorfindel relaxed with a sigh and looked back to the tiny elfling who continued to drink in earnest. "I do want to be sure he's weaned by the time he starts teething," said Glorfindel, causing Erestor to finally laugh for the first time since he had heard the tiny cries from the porch earlier that evening.

It was still dark when l'il peanut, for he had no real name yet, had been fed and burped and fed a little more and had fallen asleep against Glorfindel. It was Erestor who carried the little one to the bed as the baby's new nana went to clean himself up. Glorfindel crawled into the bed facing Erestor, the two of them creating a barrier on either side of the sleeping child. "How is he?"

"Doing better, not so pale. Thank you, Glorfindel. Oh, you're all red," he remarked as he reached forward, but Glorfindel pulled away and covered his hand over the marked flesh.

"Mmmmhhnn, don't touch. It's a little sensitive right now.” Resting on his back and leaving the sheet draped over body to his waist, he said, “Please tell me you aren’t thinking of finding his parents.”

“I thought you wanted to find out who they are.” Erestor tucked the blankets up around the little elfling.

Closing his eyes as he yawned, Glorfindel said, “I thought I did, but- he’s our son now, and I don’t want anyone to take him away. I’m very possessive as you may have noticed,” he winked as he turned his head.

“You? I had no idea,” Erestor countered, resting his head on his arms. “I won’t seek them out. I promise. Get some rest, I’ll stay awake.”

Barely managing to nod his head, Glorfindel drifted into reverie. Erestor spent the early morning hours deciding that the most suitable name for the elfling he knew to be reborn was the same name he had been given his first time in the world.