Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Someone wanders into the valley

“I have a thought,” announced Elrond as Glorfindel and Erestor arrived for the morning meeting. Neither had the chance to even sit down before their lord said, “What if we cancel the meeting today and skip the council session this afternoon?”

Erestor looked quite taken aback. “Shall we reschedule for tomorrow?” he asked, already turning to that page in his planner as he balanced his papers in his arm.

“No, I think we can hold off discussion until next week. Unless there is something vitally important on the agenda, but I saw nothing which cannot wait.” Elrond was himself engaged in another task, with his desk cleared except for a book and a few loose folios for a transcription he was personally attending to.

“I suppose we all have other tasks that we can fill the time with,” agreed Erestor.

Looking up, Elrond shook his head. “I am giving you both the day off. If you wish to spend it locked in your stuffy office, go ahead.” He looked back to his desktop and said, “I would not.”

Glorfindel shrugged and smiled. “Who is to argue with the lord of the valley?”

“A wise decision.” Elrond finished the line he was working on and looked to Glorfindel. “Especially considering the fact we have special guests in the house at this time.” Elrond gave him a wink.

“Oh?” Glorfindel glanced over at Erestor, completely puzzled. Erestor looked just as confused. “Who?”

“No one of importance,” lied Elrond. “He and his company only just wandered in late last night, and I said that when you were free I would send you to him to give him a proper greeting. I am sure my greeting was proper enough, but not nearly as welcome as yours will be.”

“Gildor.” The smile on Glorfindel’s face widened, but then faded once more as he turned his head and saw Erestor, looking out the window and avoiding his gaze. “I... suppose I should... see if he is well...” Glorfindel took a deep breath and made to leave. “Thank you, m’lord.” Elrond gave a nod as Glorfindel left the office.

Erestor let out a long-held breath and ran his fingers back through his hair. “Well. I have work to do.” He straightened his papers as Elrond set his quill aside.

“You do know,” said Elrond just as Erestor had reached the door, “you will either need to convert them both, or get Glorfindel to stop being so promiscuous.”

“Yes, thank you, I do know my own religion.” Erestor bit his lip and bowed his head. “I am sorry, that came out badly.”

Elrond ignored the short outburst. “This one is really important to you,” observed the elf-lord. “Not that it is any less important when you have brought your faith to others, but it means something personal to you to be able to show Glorfindel your way.”

“Yes. And, I know not why, either. He is no less, nor no more special to me than many others here in the valley, and yet I feel in my heart it is most important that I guide him,” explained Erestor.

“I do hope you succeed in your quest,” Elrond finally said.

Erestor nodded and said, “So do I.”

---

Elsewhere in the valley, a joyful reunion was taking place.

“So long... so good to see you again,” murmured Glorfindel as he and Gildor stood in the hallway where the guest rooms were located, holding each other tightly. Glorfindel kissed up the side of Gildor’s neck and nuzzled him.

Gildor sighed and took in Glorfindel’s familiar scent. “I missed you, too. I would invite you in, but this room is so... plain,” he settled on as they stood back, but only a little, still with their arms wrapped around one another.

“Come with me to my rooms then,” offered Glorfindel, leaning forward to steal a kiss from his lover. “You have been away from the valley for far too long, and I promised Elrond that I would give you a proper welcome.”

“Mmm.. I love the hospitality I find in this house,” purred Gildor.