Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gildor leaves

“If we do not leave now, we will not make our destination in time to set up a proper winter camp and hunt for what we need,” apologized Gildor. He took hold of Glorfindel’s face in his hands and tilted it up so that they were looking at one another. “I cannot overstay our welcome.”

“You were only here a few weeks. Stay the winter,” suggested Glorfindel, but Gildor was already shaking his head and laughing.

“You sometimes forget that this is not your house,” Gildor reminded Glorfindel in a low voice. “Now, if this was your realm, I would not argue with you. In fact, I would consider making myself a permanent resident,” he said with a smile.

Glorfindel smiled back but did not say anything. No one seemed to realize that he did not want the stress and responsibility of his own realm, even though he easily could have founded an elven stronghold of his own long ago. Since his return, Gildor had repeatedly suggested the idea, but Glorfindel had managed to avoid it every time. Lifting his hands up, Glorfindel gently threaded his fingers through the woven ropes weathered silver-gold hair, tied back in tight braids for traveling, and came forward to kiss his lover. “Take care of yourself, love. Safe journey to you.”

“Be safe. I will see you again in a year or two, Findé. Maybe sooner.” Gildor reciprocated and kissed Glorfindel back. “Tell me something before I leave – are you very serious about this religious thing?”

“I have been thinking about it a lot,” admitted Glorfindel. “Why?”

“I am curious,” said Gildor. “If you had to choose today, what would you decide?”

“I...” Glorfindel shook his head. “I cannot answer that. I am sorry.”

“Good.” Gildor kissed his lover again, then dropped his hands to his sides. “Perhaps you might decide some day to dance with me around the fires before Tarnin Austa.”

“Perhaps,” answered Glorfindel, but in his heart he had doubts of this. “Perhaps you might decide some day to come with me to the river to sing and pray.”

Gildor hesitated longer before he finally said, “Perhaps.”

This made Glorfindel smile and he drew Gildor into his arms. “That would make me so happy if you did. I look forward to seeing you again.”

“I will miss you.” Gildor kissed Glorfindel one final time before mounting his speckled grey mare. “Lord Elrond,” he shouted across the lawn to the elf-lord who stood with his wife and children some ways away admiring one of the gaily painted wagons of the caravan and the jewels set within. Elrond stood straight and tilted his head to show he was listening. “My people and I thank you again for your generous hospitality! Until we meet again, may Elbereth bless your way. Namarie!”

“Namarie, good friend, until we meet again!” called Elrond back, picking up little Arwen so that she could be seen waving to the departing elves. Glorfindel took a deep breath and stepped away from the gypsy elves as they left the courtyard and proceeded down the path to the main way out of the valley.

Silent as a shadow, Erestor suddenly made his presence known. “You wish sometimes that you were going with them.”

“I...” Glorfindel waved and blew a kiss to Gildor as the elf-lord turned his mount around to check on the progress of those near the rear of the group. Gildor caught the movement out of the corner of his eye and gave Glorfindel a bit of a wave with his hand before attending to his followers once again. “I used to.” Glorfindel took in Erestor’s slightly surprised expression. “Each time they leave, I consider going to the stables and leaping on Asfaloth and riding out after them.”

“And yet you have not,” observed Erestor quietly.

Glorfindel watched as the caravan continued to retreat from the house. “Something I have come to realize,” said Glorfindel, “is that, although he and I may be lovers...” Glorfindel nodded in the direction of the wanders, not knowing quite where Gildor was in the pack now, “...you and Elrond and Celebrian and the children, Lin and Mel included, are my family. And this,” he said, turning around to look at the house, “is my home.”

Erestor had to turn away for a moment so that he could secretly wipe away a straying tear from the corner of his eye.