Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Erestor has something for Glorfindel

“For you.”

Glorfindel took the wrapped package and blushed slightly. “You did not have to get me anything.”

“It really is not much,” said Erestor, rolling a stone back and forth beneath the toe of his shoe. “I think you will like it, though,” he added as Glorfindel untied the white ribbon adorned with a cluster of blue and white violets from the scrap of linen the item was wrapped in.

When the fabric fell away into his hand, Glorfindel let out a surprised, yet awestruck gasp. “Oh, Erestor, you cannot give this to me. This is your book.”

“No, this is your book. I have already read it so many times I have it memorized. I want you to have it now,” said the librarian. “I know you travel light for your tour on the border, but I thought you might have room in one of your saddlebags for it.”

Opening the book, the warrior found an inscription inside the front cover. “From the eagle to the dove,” he read softly, and smiled.

“At least for the next five hundred years or so.” Glancing toward the house to be sure no one was wandering about on that crisp autumn morning, Erestor pushed the side of his leggings down just a bit, enough for Glorfindel to see patches of black, brown, and white, and a golden beak.

Absently, Glorfindel’s fingers did touch the inked skin this time, and he pulled back when Erestor shivered. “You redid it.”

“Touched it up a bit – my, it is chilly out here,” the dark elf said as he covered his hip and then rubbed his hands against his arms.

“Thank you.” Glorfindel closed the book and caressed the cover, then held it to his chest. “I wish I had something to give to you.”

“The fact you are happy with my gift is enough,” said Erestor, smiling brightly.

“Still...” Glorfindel thought for a moment, and then boldly leaned closer and kissed Erestor’s cheek.

Laughing, Erestor reached out and pushed on Glorfindel’s shoulder. “Alright, that is quite enough.” Blushing furiously, he did a double take to be sure the courtyard was empty, and then made a shooing motion. “Go on, now. Time for you to go guard the borders.”

With a wide grin, Glorfindel circled around Asfaloth and put the book into one of his saddlebags, then mounted his steed. “Take care and have a good winter, Erestor,” said Glorfindel. “I will see you in the springtime.”

“And no doubt disturb my reading and tickle me again,” said the counselor wryly. Glorfindel stuck out his tongue. “Stay safe, Fin. Take care of yourself.”

Nodding, Glorfindel nudged Asfaloth forward, into a slow trot to the gate.

Erestor looked again one way and then the other, biting his lip as horse and rider left him further and further behind. As the blond was about to pass through the gate, Erestor suddenly shouted, “Fin!”

Glorfindel pulled back on the reins and turned Asfaloth sideways. Glancing at Erestor, the warrior gave him a look of concern. Then he saw Erestor look around nervously again, and when he was satisfied that there was no one else up at the early hour that Glorfindel always chose to leave, he lifted his hand to his lips and blew a kiss at the warrior – which Glorfindel of course caught before grinning giddily to himself and riding out through the gate.

- - -

Up in her bed, a little girl looked down out of her window and cocked her head to one side. “Nana?” she shouted, “Why is Uncle Ressor blowing kisses to Uncle Finny?”

Celebrian sighed and got out of bed, walking out of her own bedroom and into her daughter’s. Checking outside the window that Arwen was now standing at, Celebrian shook her head at the empty courtyard and tucked the child back in.

Elrond was sitting up in bed when Celebrian returned. “Something wrong?”

“No, nothing. Arwen was just having another strange dream,” commented Celebrian before snuggling in next to her husband.