Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Celebrian packs a picnic

“How busy are you?”

Elrond contemplated the question, looking up at his wife. Little Arwen was balanced on one of her hips while Celebrian’s other hand was occupied with a picnic basket. He smiled, but frowned once he looked across the desk at Erestor. “We have quite a lot to get done yet today,” he apologized.

Celebrian was about to give an understanding comment, but Arwen had a different idea. Her frown, her little pout, and the batting of her dark lashes made the corners of Erestor’s mouth turn up in a smile. “It can wait,” said the dark haired advisor, and immediately, Arwen smiled brightly.

“Ada, put your quill down, silly,” she called out, being one of only two residents in the valley allowed to grace upon the lord of Imladris such a title.

“Here, silly, you can carry the picnic basket,” offered Celebrian, holding it out and giving her husband a wink.

Elrond gave a passing glance at Erestor, who was shuffling the papers on the desk, as he walked to the door. He shed his formal robe to reveal much more comfortable attire- leggings and tunic. “What about-“ he began to whisper, but Celebrian had already figured that one out.

“You, too, Erestor. Come along, do not make me drag you out.”

His smirk was concealed as he was still faced away. “I suppose I could be persuaded.”

“The day is lovely,” she said, although there really was no argument. “Come, the tulips are in bloom. I packed seed cakes.”

As if he could be bribed in no other fashion, Erestor shoved the chair back and stood with a flourish. “Only if I might be allowed to escort the lovely lady Arwen to the picnic,” he said with a bow. He kept his robes on as he held out his hand, and the peredhel child nearly leaped to the floor from her mother’s arms, placing her tiny hand into Erestor’s palm. Everyone in the valley knew how much Erestor loved children; even the children.

“Someday, one of your own, perhaps?” teased Elrond with a nudge as they headed out of the door.

“I definitely hope so,” answered Erestor as the group began to walk down the hallway. Celebrian was on Elrond’s arm as he hummed a playful tune. Arwen insisted on swinging Erestor’s arm back and forth as they walked.

An impatient tapping of a foot greeted them at the door. A grin came from the other one. “And where do the four of you think you are going?” insisted the elder, while the younger continued with the foot tapping.

“Are you coming, then?” Elrond obviously saw no reason to explain himself, and he kept walking past his sons.

“Did Nana pack enough?” Elrohir always worried that there would not be enough to go around, even though there was always more than needed. Despite this, he managed to sneak a peek under the cloth covering the top of the basket, and licked his lips in anticipation.

Celebrian nodded in the direction of the stables. “Should we ask Glorfindel to join us?”

The twins raced ahead, eager to have their favorite teacher along. They found him in the stables, as expected, but Lindir and Melpomaen were with him. Impatiently, Elladan rocked back and forth on his feet as Glorfindel finished an explanation regarding a particular type of saddle as Lindir and Melpomaen nodded.

Again, Elrohir raised his concerns, but instead of speaking, he gave Elladan a sideways look. Elladan, ever the leader, took the matter into his own hands. “We need to take a run up to the house quick for something, but everyone else is heading down to the Bruinen for a picnic.” Then, he ran off again, his brother tagging along after a shout of, “You better hurry up or you may not catch them!”

When the twins returned with a second basket of goodies, they found that their sister had discovered that two elves were better than one - especially if you can get them to lift you up now and again and swing you back and forth. Glorfindel, as everyone knew, liked children, too.

Melpomaen had taken control of the picnic basket, while Elrond had begun the task of storytelling. The tale was one familiar to his sons, but they listened to him anyhow while Celebrian pointed out the perfect picnic spot. Lindir fluttered a few notes on a flute that had been sticking out of his back pocket. The ‘First Family of the Last Homely House’ as many had taken to calling this group, sat down in the grass to enjoy the day.