Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“You are rightly proud of them, Galadriel,” smiled Elrond as he dismounted. “They are most respectful – more so than other elflings I have been acquainted with.”

Galadriel smiled, thankful that neither of the adolescent Brothers Lórien had corrected the fact that they did not believe themselves to be elflings any longer. Both smiled cordially and bowed to Lord Elrond as he stood before them.

“Let me see, now. It has been some time since I have seen the elder, but have heard much of you both during the past decades from Glorfindel in his letters. You,” he began, stepping in front of the taller elf, “must be Haldir.”

“Nay, Lord Elrond, I am called Orophin, and I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Many tales have I read of you, and yet I am still in awe to meet you in person.” The tall elf clasped his brother on the back. “This is my older, yet not bigger, brother Haldir.”

Haldir suppressed the urge to push his brother into a bush in jest, merely bowing his head once again to Elrond. “We are both most pleased and honored to have you as our guest here in the Golden Woods. It has been long since we last spoke, and I but a lad when we did. I hope that your stay here is a memorable one.” His words were unhurried and practiced, though they surprised all present except Glorfindel.

Elrond blinked, then grinned with amusement. “You spoke that in perfect Westron. Are you fluent?” Elrond asked in the same language.

“Not yet. I am learning.” Haldir glanced over his shoulder to Glorfindel, who rewarded his pupil with a nod. Haldir turned back to their guest, and added slowly, “Glorfindel is a good teacher.”

“I wish he was as good a communicator as you claim, for he should have told me to bring a few volumes in Westron for you to read. Perhaps you might stop in Rivendell and borrow a few books with which to practice the skills you are learning.” Switching back to a more common tongue for those present, Elrond said. “I came to see what it was that kept Glorfindel from returning after such time, and find much importance in the task which detains him.”

“Will you not stay for some time here, Lord Elrond, for we would much enjoy your company,” Galadriel offered.

“Perhaps I might stay for short time, though I have come to speak with Glorfindel of things which could not be conveyed in letters. A few days at most, if it would not inconvenience you.”

Galadriel smiled warmly. “Not at all, Lord Elrond.” Her eyes caught his gaze for a long moment before she arched a brow. “Perhaps we will speak before the evening meal.”

“I should like to speak with you before then,” Elrond said. “I have heard there are many enchanting gardens here in Lothlórien, perhaps one might be suitable for such a meeting.”

Galadriel did not reply. Instead, she directed various elves to help with the horses and baggage Elrond and his party had with them. Glorfindel assumed the responsibility of the Lord himself, offering an extensive tour of the city.

When the majority of the elves had cleared from the area, Haldir pulled Orophin down a hall and out of earshot of those remaining. “Well? What do you think?”

Orophin narrowed his eyes mischievously. “Honey in the saddlebags, sawdust in the sheets, and a frog in his dinner wine.”

Haldir shook his head. “He will smell the honey and sawdust, and it would be cruel to do such a thing to a frog – the wine would kill it. Besides, I like him.” Haldir glanced around, then said, “Tree sap in the saddlebags, sand in the sheets, and leeches in his water goblet. We will have to be sure nana uses the brass ones so he can not see what is in the glass.” Orophin nodded before Haldir continued. “I shall collect the leeches and sand, if you can get the sap from one of the older mallorn – the older, the stickier. Be mindful not to touch it!” Orophin nodded again before bounding away.

Haldir wasted little time in completing the second task. He was well aware of which room Elrond would be staying in, and there would be little time between now and dinner for the elf lord to both take a nap and speak to Galadriel. His second job would be more difficult, as it would require he catch the leeches, smuggle them back to Caras Galadhon, and get them into one water goblet in particular.

He was perched on the shore of the Nimrodel when Celebrian approached. “Have you seen where the Lord Elrond has gone to?” she asked. Just barely an adult, she still seemed to hold onto her childhood by threads of innocence or immaturity, depending. Haldir shrugged his shoulders as she continued. “If you by chance come across him before the evening meal, would you be sure to tell me?”

“Shall I not just inform him you are looking for him?” Haldir questioned.

“No!” Celebrian blurted out. Haldir turned around, forgetting his current task as he looked up at the elleth, a hand covered upon her mouth at her outburst.

“You do not…It can not be…” mused Haldir. “You have a crush on the Lord Elrond!” he accused.

“Hush, you cave troll!” she scolded, eyes fierce.

Haldir recoiled, in part disgust and part amusement. “He is old!”

“What does that matter?” pouted Celebrian. “He is quite intelligent. And brave. And handsome.”

“And old!” laughed Haldir. “He is probably thousands – no, millions – of years older!”

“He is not,” sniffed Celebrian. “His conception date was-“

“Tell me you do not have it memorized!” Haldir was now doing nothing to contain his delight in the newfound knowledge.

Celebrian huffed, turning away down the path. “Laugh now, for I want it out of your system by the wedding! You shall not see such humor in it when he is my husband,” she said with determination.

Haldir fell backward, hysterical now, and was unable to say another word on the matter until Celebrian was well away from him.





“And this stairway leads down to-“ Glorfindel glanced around to be sure there was no one around, “Galadriel’s Garden,” he whispered, to which Elrond rolled his eyes.

“Really, Glorfindel, it’s on the official map of Lothlórien, of which there are at least six known copies,” Elrond reminded him. “I hardly think you must place such mystique about it.”

“My Lord, I am shocked that you would not hold such a place sacred as I!” scolded Glorfindel. As he stood, astonished at the admission by Elrond, Orophin ran past them, down the stairs, and then back up again.

“Excuse me, but have you seen my brother come this way?” When both shook their heads, Orophin bowed and ran off on his way.

“Shall we then?” asked Elrond, advancing into the garden.

“Nay, my Lord, I dare not enter unless invited.”

Elrond resisted the urge to pull Glorfindel down the steps with him. “Will you attend dinner this evening with the Lord and Lady? I should very much like to speak with you further about your accomplishments while here.”

“Of course, Lord Elrond.” Glorfindel turned then and was gone.

Shaking his head at the folly Glorfindel sometimes showed, Elrond entered the garden. He was little surprised to see Galadriel there already, holding in her hands an ornate pitcher. “Good evening, Lady Galadriel.”

“Lord Elrond. Then I have assumed correct, that it is the mirror that you seek?” When Elrond nodded, Galadriel poured the water into the mirror. “The mirror shows many things. It may show things that have come to pass, things that are to come, and other things which may not occur. Will you look into the mirror?”

Elrond thought to tell her that her introductory warning could use a bit of fine tuning, but decided he might make mention of it later. “If you would but let me.” Elrond walked to the mirror, drawing in his breath and strength before looking into the clear water. At first, the mirror showed him events familiar to him – battles he had fought, the happenings of Rivendell, friends and acquaintances he knew. The scene began to change, and Elrond noted the setting was Lothlórien. An elven maid sat by the side of a stream, pulling petals from the stems of flowers. Her eyes focused upon him, and he gasped. He looked to Galadriel with worry, then back to the mirror. The elleth was in Rivendell now, but no longer a maiden, for she cradled a tiny babe in her arms. As Elrond continued to watch, he watched as his own figure entered the image, carrying an identical child. His mirror self walked to the elleth, gently meeting her for a kiss as he sat down beside her.

“Galadriel…you must know, I have never had thoughts about her…not in this manner at all…I have not seen her since she was quite young…” Elrond tried to explain, but Galadriel raised a hand to still his voice.

“I have known long for this to be your fate. You were drawn to the mirror, as you would not have trusted yourself to choose this path with her. She is only just beginning to have feelings such as those you have seen in the mirror. And those feelings which you have, you have hidden from all including yourself,” said Galadriel.

“But…” Elrond paused. “I’m so old! Compared to her, the difference in age is great.”

“I shall remind you that I surpass your age and do not appreciate the thought of being old,” Galadriel informed him.

Deciding it would be rather unfortunate to upset a possible future mother-in-law by pressing the topic, Elrond folded his hands in front of him. “What would you have me do, my Lady?”

“That is not my decision to make,” Galadriel admitted. “But I have known you always to be honorable and respectful. Celebrian is yet young, but she is maturing. If there comes a time you both feel you must be with one another, I could not imagine another who would be a better husband to my daughter. Fate can not be disrupted, Elrond. If this is your fate, to fight it would be folly.”

Elrond nodded. “I must thank you for your generosity in allowing me to view the mirror.”

Galadriel smiled, peering into the basin. Her expression quickly changed, eyes widening and smile replaced by frown. Elrond glanced back into the bowl.

“What are those two…” Elrond and Galadriel watched as Haldir dumped sand between the sheets of the freshly made bed in Elrond’s room and Orophin poured a jar of mallorn sap into the saddlebags on Elrond’s horse.

“Oh, dear,” sighed Galadriel. “I had indeed hoped that they would have been done with such tricks, especially after what happened to poor Thranduil.”

Elrond looked up, intrigued. “What exactly did happen to poor Thranduil?”

Galadriel waved off the comment, clicking her tongue at the images she was watching. “I must catch them before dinner. I really wish they would not be so offensive to guests. They didn’t used to be this …crafty.”

“I remember being a bit like that in my adolescent years,” defended Elrond. He continued to watch as the pair found the chair that Elrond was to sit at for dinner. Orophin carefully slid a pair of leeches into the goblet in front of Elrond’s plate while Haldir kept watch at the entrance. “Well, that is most certainly uncalled for!”

Galadriel shook her head and emptied the mirror. “If you would excuse me, I must find them before they cause any further trouble.”

Elrond was about to allow her leave, but spoke instead. “Why not allow me to take care of the problem? I believe I might be able to break them of this habit, if you would allow.”

For a moment she thought, and then Galadriel nodded. “Be careful, Elrond. They are quite clever, I am afraid to admit.”

“As am I,” he said with a wink before heading up the steps.





Dinner was to be served in the private eating chambers of the Lord and Lady. Used only for breakfast and on other rare occasions, it was not a place the younger members of the family were used to being in. The entire room was a thing of beauty, but the centerpiece of it all was the table – a magnificent tree branch that had knotted and curled in such a way that it would have been a shame to remove when the talan was built, and so everything was built around it. It was not perfectly round, nor perfectly square, but it was perfectly flat. No more than ten chairs would have fit round it, and tonight only eight were arranged at the place settings.

There were really no ends to the table, as it curved to and fro of its own accord, so Celeborn sat in the seat closest to the eastern side, while Elrond sat on the western, the only two seats that nearly faced each other. Galadriel was to Celeborn’s right, with Glorfindel next, and Celebrian. To Celeborn’s left sat Orophin, Haldir, and a member of Elrond’s travel party that hadn’t been introduced before to the Lórien brothers.

“Gildor Inglorion,” the golden haired Noldo introduced himself as everyone edged up closer to the table. “I had not the chance to visit Lothlórien for some time. Lord Elrond happened upon me as he journeyed here and was good enough to invite me along. I hope I am not an unwelcome disruption to planned events,” he apologized as wine was brought around the table by one of the servers.

“You are welcomed as a disruption, good friend and kin.” Galadriel smiled as she inclined her head to Gildor. He nodded back, matching her smile.

Celeborn grinned, taking up his now filled glass of wine. “If I might be so bold as to offer a toast then. To the kin of Finarfin. May those who made their decent from him continue to be as wise and always be as fair as he.”

Gildor smirked as he lifted his glass to his lips. “That sounded a compliment, but I know your husband well enough to believe there was a jest hidden in his words, Galadriel.”

“A jest that shall be dealt with in time,” promised Galadriel with a sideways glance to Celeborn. The Lord of Lórien slyly feigned innocence while the other adults laughed.

“So you two are related?” Haldir bluntly interrupted, wanting to be sure he understood correctly. The greater part of his focus was on Gildor, but his gaze shifted slightly to keep an eye on the water goblet near Elrond’s plate.

Galadriel clicked her tongue in warning to the younger elf for his interruption, then answered by saying, “All elves are related to one another, Haldir, for we are all firstborn and share a familiar bond in that we are all Children of Iluvatar.”

Haldir merely blinked at the answer. Orophin was more dramatic, throwing his face into his hands and moaning softly. “I hate it so when she talks in such riddles,” he complained.

His ears were greeted to soft laughter, after which Gildor spoke. “It is true we share common ancestors, yet my past is not greatly spoken of, for I was myself the product of an unbonded union. It could safely be assumed that we are cousins, and if this answer is to your satisfaction, let us speak no more of it.”

Orophin sighed peacefully, shuffling his utensils off of his napkin. “If we are not to speak of it, then shall we not call you cousin?”

“Nay, if you wish, you may call me cousin, Cousin Orophin,” Gildor replied, smoothing his own napkin over his lap.

“Then I shall, Cousin Gildor,” Orophin said, relieved that if this guest was indeed related, that efforts to cause mischief were concentrated upon Elrond and not on other members of the travel party.

“Galadriel tells me you are imparting upon these three a vast amount of knowledge,” Elrond said to Glorfindel once the meal had been set out upon the table. Elrond wrapped his hand around his water goblet, poising the glass just in front of his mouth as he waited for Glorfindel’s reply and the reaction of his pupils.

Glorfindel nodded enthusiastically. “We have spent nearly every day since my arrival in educational pursuits, have we not?” When the three youngest elves all nodded, Glorfindel smiled and turned back to his plate, thinking the discussion at a close.

“What types of educational pursuits have you studied? What do they know, say, of the sciences?” Elrond asked, hand still grasping his cup.

Glorfindel stilled his fork and folded his hands. “We have been diligent in our studies, and have covered every branch of science.”

“Have you? What of geology? Botany? Biology?”

Glorfindel snorted in contempt. “If you are going to question my methods of teaching, why not question my pupils instead?”

Elrond’s expression became thoughtful, and he turned to Haldir. “You are aware that there is sand along the shores of the Nimrodel.”

Haldir didn’t even blink as he answered. “Is that what they are calling it these days?” More than a few of the others smirked at the comment as Elrond asked his question.

“What is the composition of the sand along the shores of the Nimrodel?”

“It would depend upon which shore one was standing, for the composition varies, my Lord,” replied Haldir.

Elrond inclined his head. “You knew that question to be a trick, which is commendable. Would you be able to determine which bank the sand was from if you had a sample?” Elrond did not wait for the answer as he pulled from a pouch on his belt a small clear vial containing sand that had formerly been between his bed sheets. He passed it to Gildor, who handed it to Haldir.

“You had this planned, didn’t you? I can’t believe you doubt my skills as a teacher this much.” Glorfindel slouched a bit in his chair, then straightened to better catch the attention of the server to bring him more wine.

Haldir carefully inspected the contents as if he had never before seen the sand, then responded with, “It appears to be a mixture of quartz, shale, and granite. If this is true, then it has come from the northern side.”

Elrond considered the answer, then turned to Celebrian without confirming the answer given. “The mellryn are the prominent trees of the woods of Lothlórien.” Celebrian waited in silence for her question. “What are the exports that are created by or can be created from them?”

“Each tree produces either a sweet golden fruit or a large bland nut, both of which can be harvested alone, or used in the making of lembas. They can be tapped for sap, which is then converted either to a syrup to be eaten or a strong glue commonly used to bind books. Fallen branches can be carved into the bows and arrows of the Galadrim, and the stripped bark is then used to make a silver-grey dye,” Celebrian finished, having sounded as if she had recited the entire passage from a text.

“She forgot that we use them to live in,” piped up Orophin, who was hushed by a kick under the table from Haldir.

“Flets are not an export, Orophin, we cannot send an entire talan to Mirkwood on horseback,” scolded Haldir under his breath. Orophin blushed, doubly so when Elrond set his gaze on him.

“The creatures that live in the depths of the Silverlode are numerous.” Orophin gulped near audibly at Elrond’s comment. “Which of the creatures within the river hold medicinal value?”

Glorfindel downed the rest of his glass of wine, only to have it instantly refilled by the server, then emptied it once again. “If I might be allowed to freely speak, my Lord, this is becoming ridiculous. You ask them questions even I do not know the answers to.”

“There are, um, those frogs that you can use to help a horse with a wounded foot. The slime on their backs soothes the pain. And the, um, and the, uh, the…”

“Turtles,” coughed Haldir under his breath.

“And the turtles,” began Orophin again, “the turtles with the red eyes. If you catch one, and you keep them for long enough that they shed their scales, the scales, they…they…uh, they…”

“Sleep,” hissed Haldir as he lifted his napkin to his mouth.

“They help you sleep. If you boil them in water. If you need to sleep so bad to drink turtle scale water.” Orophin couldn’t think of any other animals, and when Elrond did not prompt him to name another, he swallowed hard. His throat was dry, and he reached for his water goblet, draining the contents before setting it down.

It was a few moments before anyone said anything else, and then, it was Gildor who spoke. “I think you may have missed one.”

“Which one?” Orophin asked, cocking his head to the side.

Gildor licked his lip and bit it to keep from smirking before he answered, “The one attached to you face.”

Orophin’s eyes widened, and he swiped at his mouth with one hand, and then the other, finding not one, but two plump and slimy leeches had found themselves to be quite comfortable affixed to the young elf. As soon as he realized that he could not simply flick them off, he stood and stumbled backwards, knocking down his chair behind him. With no askance for excusal, Orophin rushed from the room, a slight whimper escaping his lips as he pulled at the animals on his face.

Some smiled, some gasped, and others, namely Glorfindel, merely drank another glass of wine. Haldir, not amused that his game had backfired, cleared his throat and attempted to excuse himself from the table. As he tried to leave his place, he found his back and rear to be affixed to the chair he sat upon more permanently than the leeches on Orophin’s face.

“Did you not say you wished to excuse yourself to see to your brother, Haldir?” Elrond asked, feigning concern, “Or has the mallorn glue already dried?” Elrond raised his goblet now and drank all of its contents at once.

Haldir sat with mouth slightly open in disbelief as the those remaining around the table did their best to hide their own amusement. His eyes circled the table, finally falling upon Celebrian. “You! You traitor!”

Laughter died down as the young she-elf was taken aback by the remark from the furious elf. “I know not of what you speak, Haldir.”

“It was you, it was you who told him!” he hissed. “You were the one by the lake, you knew what we had planned.”

“I swear, I did no such thing!” shouted Celebrian.

Haldir’s eyes narrowed. “I know it was you. Just because you have such immense infatuation for the Lord of Imladris is no reason to give away our plans to him.”

“What?!” Celeborn’s knife and fork slid from his hands, hitting the wooden floor with a thud, doing little to cover the sound of Glorfindel spraying his wine out of his mouth and across the table, bathing both Haldir and Gildor in a fine mist. Elrond became as red as Celebrian had become pale, and Galadriel, though not different in the color of her cheeks, had become furious.

“Haldir! That is enough!” snapped Galadriel. “You will go to your room this instant and not leave until I have summoned you.”

“I would have left by now, ere I had the chance,” he retorted.

Galadriel drummed her fingers for a moment, then pointed to one of the servers, then to Haldir, then thrust her thumb in the direction of the private sleeping quarters.

“You can not – leave me be!” demanded Haldir as the server tilted the chair backward and dragged it around the table and out of the room, taking with it a very disgruntled Haldir.

Celebrian silently placed her utensils and napkin on the table, slid off her chair, bowed slightly, then turned heel and ran from the room. Both Celeborn and Elrond stood in a planned attempt to chase after her, but once Elrond had caught Celeborn’s narrowed gaze, he immediately sat back down.

“I do not suppose any of you would be interested to know what has been planned for desert.” Galadriel waved one of the servers over that the meal might be cleared from the table, as all had stopped eating. All but Glorfindel, who was not eating, but merely partaking of the wine.

“I should think now would be a time best for us to excuse you of our presence,” Gildor said as he stood, walked to Glorfindel, and pulled up the former Lord of Gondolin from his chair.

Glorfindel nodded. “Yes, now would be the best time,” he said, purposely averting any glances from Elrond. “But, I think we will be taking with us the wine…”





Elrond and Galadriel sat in silence, muted by the most recent events. In time, Celeborn returned, but without his daughter. “She will not speak with me, she does nothing but weep into her pillows,” he sighed, resuming his place at the now cleared table. “I know not what to do with her, though I am fairly certain about the fate of her brothers.”

“Should we not together decide the fate of Haldir and Orophin?” suggested his wife, leaning toward him.

Celeborn nodded. “But I do not intend to be less than harsh with their punishment. Practically grown elves, such behavior is not tolerable.”

Galadriel nodded, then turned to Elrond. “Will you go to her and see about what troubles her?”

“I dare not, unless…” Elrond trailed off, looking to Celeborn.

Celeborn looked between the two other elves, realizing of whom they spoke. “Ah…Celebrian.” His eyes rested upon Elrond at first, who shifted uncomfortably, then to Galadriel. “You have foreseen it?” She nodded. “In your mirror?” Another nod. Celeborn looked again to Elrond. “She will not speak with me,” he repeated. “Perhaps she might find she can confide in you.” The elves of the golden wood departed to the rooms where Haldir and Orophin waited, while Elrond left in another direction.

- - -





When Galadriel and Celeborn came upon the brothers, they found that Orophin had helped Haldir out of his very awkward position, though the leggings and tunic Haldir had been wearing were still attached to the chair. He now had on a new set of leggings, though he had yet to find a new tunic. At present, the two sat upon Haldir’s bed, grumbling about their misfortunes of the day.

“I expected to hear voices filled with remorse, not revengeful plottings. And most assuredly not against your sister.” Celeborn shook his head in shame as both brothers bowed theirs. “Both of you, nearing adulthood – most of all you, Haldir, for you are closer, and I had thought more mature. Is it not you who accompanies me on rides to the Galadhrim outposts?”

“Yes, my lord,” mumbled Haldir to the floor.

“And is it not you who even as a child insisted upon carrying with you a bow and arrows and learning how to use them, though they are not items of play for a youth?”

“Yes, my lord,” Haldir answered again in a meek voice.

“And both of you, have you not been allowed always to sit at our table when we have visitors such as this, though even most grown elves are not allowed such status?”

Haldir did not answer, continuing only to hang his head. Orophin, on the other hand, raised his eyes to meet Celeborn’s. The young elf had spilled tears, and they continued to flow down his cheeks, soaking into the fabric of his garments as they fell. “I am sorry, Ada,” he sobbed. “I did not mean to cause harm. It was just that Haldir-“

“Haldir is becoming too great an influence on you, that I can see. And perhaps,” added the elf lord, “Haldir is becoming too great an influence on himself.”

Haldir looked up in question, still showing no remorse for his actions or words. Celeborn continued. “Though I have always loved and praised you both, when times came to discipline either of you, or in most cases both of you, I did little but make idle threats. Perhaps it is time for me to make good on my promise that neither of you will ever be too old to bend over my knee.”

“You would not dare such a thing,” whispered Haldir.

“Galadriel,” said Celeborn, turning to his wife, “would you be so kind as to find me a tree branch? A thin one, but one that is sturdy.” Galadriel hesitated, then gave a quick nod and headed out of the room.

“I’m nearly as tall as you,” Haldir argued, rising to his feet. This motion brought his height close to that of Celeborn, yet one could tell he was not yet a fully grown elf. “I really am much too big for you to ‘bend over your knee’.”

Celeborn thought about that for a moment. “Quiet true, now that you mention it. I suppose you shall just have to bend and grip a chair then,” advised Celeborn. “Unless, of course, you would rather just stand.”

“But…but I’m a gift from the Valar!” Haldir shouted. Galadriel reappeared, and Haldir fled to a corner of the room, keeping his backside facing the wall.

“A gift, perhaps, but at the moment, you prove yourself to be no prize,” pointed out Celeborn as he pulled the chair from the dining room into an open space. “Haldir, I shall give you to the count of three, and if I find you are still in that corner, I shall call for Glorfindel’s assistance with you,” warned Celeborn. “One…Two…” Celeborn paused as he felt a hand upon his shoulder. “Ah, Galadriel, where is the branch?”

“I could not find one that suited your needs,” she explained. “It would seem you will have to postpone sentencing.”

“An entire forest, and there is not one stray branch to be found?” Galadriel nodded to Celeborn. “Odd, I was somehow still under the impression that I was the Lord of Lothlórien, but apparently that is not so.”

Galadriel calmly moved her hand from his shoulder to his cheek, speaking in Quenya so as to keep the brothers from knowing her words. “Your anger shall pass as it always does, and it would grieve you to know you hurt either of them later. Punishing them in such a manner will not allow them to give thought to their actions, rather, it would stay them from doing so again out of fear and not wisdom. Truly, do you wish them to fear you?”

“I wish them to stop this nonsense.”

“Perhaps you have already realized the answer to this problem.” Galadriel switched back to Sindarin. “Perhaps Haldir’s influence has been too great. Some time apart may allow both a better appreciation of one another so that when next they are together, their time will not be spent in such empty pursuits.”

“You would send one of us away?” questioned Haldir in surprise.

Galadriel looked to Celeborn. “It would be for the benefit of all,” he replied.

“Please, we have never been apart,” Orophin said. “We will not play such pranks any longer. Never again!”

“Do you think Elrond might take one of them with him to Rivendell when he departs?” asked Celeborn.

“If I were he, I should say not. Although, perhaps he might, if it be Orophin.” Galadriel paused. “There is always Thranduil.”

More than one elf in the room whimpered at the thought, and Galadriel could not be sure her husband was not one of them. “Elrond is here now, I shall speak with him first. Let us find him now,” decided Celeborn. “Do not leave this room,” he instructed the brothers, exiting with Galadriel.

“This is very, very not good,” concluded Haldir.

Orophin’s fear was more tangible. “I do not want to live in Thranduil’s caves. Or in the Last Homely House, for that matter. We have to convince Ada that we won’t play pranks anymore.”

“But you know we will,” shrugged Haldir.

“Then we need to convince Ada that we won’t play pranks anymore, and then find someone to blame when we do them,” reasoned Orophin.

“There is Celebrian,” Haldir suggested. “We could make others think she is to blame.”

“Nah, no one would believe it. She’s too pretty,” sighed Orophin. “And she’s a girl. What could she possibly do?”

“Nana is a girl,” reminded Haldir. “And Glorfindel told me she helped cause all kinds of trouble between Valinor and Arda.”

“Really? Wow,” Orophin sighed. “Then it definitely won’t work. There cannot be two troublemaking girls in one family.”

“Hmm.” Haldir pulled a fresh tunic from his dresser. “I guess we are hopeless then, for everyone else I know of is too old to blame. We shall truly have to stop playing pranks.”

Orophin laid back on the bed. “What we need is someone new. Someone unsuspecting.” Orophin sat up abruptly. “I have it!”

“What now?” asked Haldir, pulling on the tunic.

“When you were lonely, you said you prayed to the Valar to send a brother, and so they sent me to you,” said Orophin.

Haldir smiled. “I think I know your plan, but I doubt the Valar would approve of it. I asked for you out of need, grief, and loneliness.”

“When we pray to them, we’ll just leave out the part about blaming him for our mischief.”

“They start out as elflings, you know,” reminded Haldir. “We would still need to wait for him to get older.”

Orophin crinkled his nose. “Elflings tend to smell and make lots of noise. Can’t we just pray for him to be bigger?”

Haldir was about to explain why wishing for a baby to be bigger did not always work to the liking of the wisher when voices were heard just outside the door. “Hush now, they’re coming. Do not mention our plan. Don’t even think about our plan – I fear sometimes that Nana can sense our thoughts,” he said in a low voice.

- - -





Gently knocking upon the frame of the doorway, Elrond entered the room that Glorfindel had directed him to when he had asked where he might find Celebrian. Room was such an odd term for these structures, thought the elf lord, for though some had doors or windows, few walls of the conventional type bordered them, and so much was left open. Approaching the bed, Elrond opted to pull a large wooden rocker to the bedside.

“Go away, just go away,” insisted the elleth, head buried into the down-filled pillows.

“Your pardon, I shall leave,” Elrond said, standing up, deliberately as slow as possible. As he stepped toward the door, a hand caught his wrist. He turned, finding the tear-streaked face of Celebrian looking up at him.

“I am sorry if I have caused you to think me ridiculously juvenile,” she apologized, releasing his wrist.

Elrond shook his head and sat in the chair. “I believe I may have fled as well.”

“But you did not,” accused Celebrian.

“It was not my brother who caused the embarrassment. It is not my family with whom I was eating. The circumstances are varied.” Elrond rocked back in the chair as Celebrian retreated to her window. He watched her as she leaned slightly against the support of the frame, golden hair brushed back from her face by the wind. Shyly, he turned away when she looked at him.

“Do you dislike me? If so, I shall not bother you during your stay here,” she offered.

Elrond shook his head. “Nay, there is nothing to dislike about you.”

“Do you think me a child? I would not be offended if such is true.”

“Nay, again. I see little use or need of the counting of years of an elf’s life, for I would rather calculate the age by the level of maturity,” Elrond said.

“Do you fear me, then?” Celebrian turned away after asking the question.

“I think I might fear your parents after this confession on both our parts, but I see no reason I would fear you,” assured Elrond.

Celebrian sighed into the night air. “You have made no confession.”

“Have I not done so by coming here?” Elrond stood and crossed the room to stand next to Celebrian by the window. It surprised him to find how tall she was now that he stood next to her. “You have a tremendous amount of beauty, hold an incredible amount of knowledge, and above all possess a kind heart. There is not an elf in all of Arda that would not be blessed to find love with such a elleth. Although I cannot say I am against the idea of being with you, I am…” He paused. “I am rather old. It might seem with so many elves younger than I, there may be one with which you would find more happiness.

“I see little use or need of the counting of years of an elf’s life,” Celebrian turned to face Elrond. “But I will not press further if you are uncomfortable with me.”

Elrond swallowed, finding his throat rather dry. “I feel no discomfort. But I would ask formally for your permission to court you, for I would not wish for you to feel uneasy with the thought.”

“I shall answer you thus.” Celebrian lifted a hand to Elrond’s cheek, pulling herself closer to the half-elf. Surprised at her boldness, Elrond swiftly wetted his lips and met Celebrian’s, his emotions in a jumble of relief, astonishment, and passion. It was short, and yet sweet, and full of much promise. Elrond felt a blush crawl to his ears. “I shall take my leave and call for you in the morning for breakfast.” He quickly turned to the door. Elrond left the room, feeling as if someone had stuffed his head completely full of cotton. Never before had he expected to know such emotions, and mixed as they were, pleasant they were also.

“Did you kiss her? Or did she kiss you? I couldn’t tell.” Glorfindel stepped out from the shadows with a near empty bottle of wine in his hand. “Thanks for bringing Gildor with you, by the way,” he said with a wink.

“How long have you been here?” questioned Elrond.

“I’ve stayed the entire time. The Lord and Lady were looking for you, but I told them I would relay the message. They wonder if you might take guardianship of one of their sons for a brief time, perhaps that the time apart would quell their need for such disobedience to their elders.” Glorfindel looped his arm into Elrond’s, leading him down the hallway. “I would have to advise that if you do, you choose Orophin. When he isn’t with Haldir, he is quite the more compliant of the two.”

“Have you taught him Westron?” asked Elrond.

Glorfindel shook his head, taking a drink from the bottle and offering it to Elrond. “That I have not. He didn’t take to it or show the interest in it that Haldir did.”

Elrond took the bottle, but did not drink. “Orophin will not easily adjust to the culture of Rivendell. Too many of our guests require us to speak Westron. He would be lost in the confusion. I will speak with the elder child.” Elrond stopped, and handed the bottle back to Glorfindel. “This is your stop, I presume?”

“Hmm?” Glorfindel looked at the door, recognizing it to be the guest room that Gildor was in. “Ah, yes. You will keep me appraised of the situations at hand?”

“If you do not overhear them first yourself, you old eavesdropping orc,” joked the Lord of Imladris, allowing himself a brief smile.

“That’s Mr. Old Eavesdropping Balrog-Slaying Orc, my lord,” smirked Glorfindel back as he knocked on the door.

Elrond patted the hero of Gondolin on the shoulder, then turned to find the room that the brothers shared.





It was not Celeborn who entered, nor Galadriel. Instead, both Haldir and Orophin straightened as Lord Elrond came through the doorway. He cleared his throat, and both of the brothers realized they were meant to stand upon his entrance. Cautiously, they slid off the bed to face him. He said nothing, and it was Haldir who spoke first.

“We are sorry for what we have done this day. You gave us no reason to act in such a manner, and yet we did. I more so than my brother. I apologize wholeheartedly for our actions.”

“Repeat that, please. In Westron,” directed Elrond.

Haldir slowly translated his words, careful not to forget any of them as he did. When he finished, Elrond said nothing for some time. He merely stroked his chin and made a pass around the room before returning to face them once again, answering in Westron. “You translate well, but your pronunciation is not well practiced. I am most impressed by the ability you do have to speak Westron. I would offer to you the opportunity to study in Imladris under the instruction of my chief advisor Erestor and myself, upon two conditions.”

“May I know those conditions?” asked Haldir, intrigued by the unexpected offer.

“First, you shall remember that during your stay in Imladris, though you may be a guest, you will also be there as an apprentice, and will be expected to heed all commands given by myself or any other of your elders. I should expect no outbursts of the likes seen this evening. Second,” continued Elrond, “you will need to come alone. Your brother still requires teaching, and Glorfindel is not yet returning to Rivendell. I require an answer by tomorrow at dinner, for proper planning for our return must be made.” Elrond turned and left without another word.

“You’re not going to go with him, are you?” Orophin asked.

Haldir sat down on the edge of the bed, glancing up at his brother. “The offer is tempting.”

Orophin looked down at the floor sadly. “You would abandon me?”

“Surely, no, it would not be abandonment. I will return, it will only be for a short time.” Haldir stood and hugged Orophin. “And, it would mean you would not have to live in Thranduil’s caves.”

Orophin smiled in spite of himself. “Perhaps there is better reason now for me to pray for a brother.”

“We need to find Celebrian and apologize for-“

“I did nothing to Celebrian,” Orophin interrupted. “I do not know what you said or did, but that is of your concern. I have never thought ill of her, though she never has taken a liking to me.”

Haldir sighed. “I need to find Celebrian and apologize for what I said.” He took a step toward the door, then turned back around. “In the morning.”

Orophin crossed his arms. “Will you at least tell me what you said to her?”

Haldir flopped onto the bed, turning his head away from the light. “In the morning.”

- - -





Celebrian tore another petal from the tiny flower she held. “He loves me…” Another petal was plucked and laid to rest upon the ground. “He doesn’t love me…” Yet another was taken from the stem. “He loves me…” She didn’t like the idea of ruining the entire flower, so she counted the remaining petals and smiled, laughing to herself. “He loves me!” she announced to the water roaring down the Nimrodel.

That morning had been spent first at breakfast with those from the night before – but not Haldir or Orophin, for which she was thankful. She would not have appreciated their silly looks and jabs to each other under the table when she asked for Lord Elrond to pass round the syrup, or when they two first arrived together and he was kind enough to pull her chair out for her.

Scattered around where she sat were countless petals and half-plucked flowers. Not a single untouched stem remained, and she sighed, thinking her game over. Looking over the river, she grinned, seeing a fresh batch of blossoms on the opposite side.

Standing, she prepared to hop across the stones that peaked out of the water to reach the other bank. “Celebrian! The current is too swift!” The elleth frowned and turned to see Haldir and Orophin approaching. Turning from them, Celebrian took the first step, placing her feet carefully from rock to rock. Behind, she heard their pace quicken. Nearing the other side, Celebrian smirked, and turned, preparing to say something defiant to Haldir. The slightest amount of inattentiveness was her undoing, as she slid from the wet stone and into the swift current.

Haldir leapt the rest of the distance to the water, diving in. Swimming with the current, it was only a few moments before he had caught up with Celebrian, who could do little more than attempt to float with the weight of her waterlogged dress. Haldir held firm to her waist with one arm, blocking debris and barriers with his free arm. Along the bank, Orophin ran, following their path until it brought them to a small pond that slowed the water’s flow.

The youngest crouched as close to the edge as he could without falling in, and grasped Haldir’s arm, then assisted in pulling both of the soaked elves out of the water.

“What were you trying to do?” asked Haldir after they had had the time to rest.

“Something silly,” said Celebrian, trying to shake the water off of herself.

“No doubt,” Haldir retorted. “You are the silliest sister anyone could have!” he sighed as he twisted his wet hair in his hands.

“And I suppose you wouldn’t mind being rid of a silly sister, would you?” pouted Celebrian.

“Nay, if that were true, I would not protect you so,” Haldir sighed. “For had that been the case, we would merely have waved as you floated down the Nimrodel.” He emphasized the point by waving an arm with exaggeration in the air. “See you later, Sis!”

Celebrian narrowed her eyes, crossed her arms, and then began to laugh. Haldir couldn’t help but turn up the corners of his mouth, as did Orophin, and soon the three had dissolved into mad fits of giggles.

“We truly have been awful to one another,” Celebrian finally managed. “I so much more than you.”

Haldir shrugged. “I am sorry I was so…”

“Rude. Arrogant. Snobby. Asinine,” filled in Orophin, moving out of striking range.

“Pick one,” offered Haldir to Celebrian. "Or, all of the above," he added ruefully.

“I am sorry as well,” apologized Celebrian. “To you most of all, Orophin, for you showed me nothing but love, and I was ever so terrible to you.”

Orophin stood and approached Celebrian. “Does that mean you won’t refuse a hug now as you have in the past?” Celebrian held out her arms, but Orophin stepped back. “Not right now, you’re all wet! But I shall begin collecting on many years of overdue hugs in the near future!” he promised.

“I spoke truth all those years ago when I said I do not have a brother,” Celebrian told Haldir.

“Oh?” Haldir continued to wring out his hair, and did not appear surprised by the comment, but was at her second.

“I have two,” she said, smiling with sadness. “I only wish I had seen as much earlier.”

Haldir did not know what words to say, nor what reply should be made. Instead of using words, he used actions, and embraced Celebrian tightly. “And I have always had a sister,” he said as he released her, “though quite a brat as best,” he winked.

“At least that solves where you got it from,” Orophin said to Haldir with a grin. Haldir and Celebrian exchanged a look, then both of them pushed Orophin into the Nimrodel.

“We might be able to stay our idea after all!” Orophin shouted with glee as he surfaced. “Celebrian may certainly be as much fun as another brother would.”

“True,” Haldir contemplated, “but we would not be able to easily place blame for some things on her, nor would we want to.”

Celebrian looked between the brothers, confused. “What type of scheme do you plan now?”

Orophin bounded out of the water and cheerfully took hold of Celebrian’s hands. “We are going to pray to the Valar for another brother,” he announced, dancing around still grasping her hands. Celebrian laughed merrily before they stumbled to the ground. Haldir dropped down to the ground next to them making hushing sounds.

“Do not attract such attention! We are closer now to the city, and Ada and Nana may tell us to stop if they find out our plan,” warned Haldir.

“But then we should start now!” exclaimed Orophin, shaking the water out of his mane of hair.

“I can help you!” offered Celebrian. She paused. “If you would let me.”

“We would gladly accept your help in this matter,” Orophin answered. “Where should we go to?”

Celebrian looked around. “Perhaps there, by those rocks. They are tall, if we knelt behind them, we would not be seen.”

The trio scampered, less soggy now, behind the small boulders before giving the idea a second thought.





One of the Galadhrim had alerted Celeborn that his three children were kneeling near the Nimrodel praying. At first, Celeborn did not see the harm in such an action, but soon the memories of years past flooded back, and he quickly excused himself from his meeting with Elrond to attend to the situation.

It did not take long to find them, and at first he simply watched. “You’re not praying for a sister now, are you?” questioned Celeborn of the three knelt behind the rocks and brush.

“Nope,” replied Orophin. “Close, though.” Haldir flung one hand over his brother’s mouth, leaving the other in front of him as he continued his own prayers.

“A baby sister,” mused Celebrian. “That is not a bad idea.”

Haldir’s free hand clamped over Celebrian’s mouth.

Celeborn was about to tell them all to find something else to do, but stayed himself, deciding the Valar would not send a child a third time.

- - -





The three young elves had fallen into reverie near the bank of the Nimrodel, after an afternoon of praying and an evening of exchanging stories. The sun caused them to rise, and after a brief swim, the trio headed back into the city. Before reaching the Great Mallorn at the center, they were greeted by an amused Glorfindel. “Show of hands, how many of you were praying to the Valar last night?”

“All of us were,” confirmed Celebrian. “Ada saw us and asked us.”

Glorfindel retained his amusement. “Did he not stop you?”

“No,” stated Haldir.

Glorfindel grinned. “Well, then, let me introduce you to the newest member of your family.” The golden haired elf flew up the stairs, the others close to his heels as they went. Once on the main talan, Glorfindel led them to a spare bedroom, where among other elves, Celeborn, Galadriel, and Elrond were peering into a basinet.

“No more brothers, no more sisters,” announced Celeborn, not bothering to look up.

“Yes, Ada,” replied three voices near the door, to which Haldir added, “Another would be too many, anyhow. Only three can live comfortably in a single room talan.”

Galadriel looked toward Haldir with curiosity. “Why would that matter?”

“When we move out, of course,” he answered matter-of-factly. “One day, we will make ourselves useful in some respect, and we will need our space, and-” he was silenced by a look that told him now wasn’t the best time to reveal his grand plans. “So…can we see him?”

A few of the other elves moved away to make room and Celeborn beckoned the three closer. After peering into the cradle, Haldir stamped a boot against the floor. “This is your fault,” he said to Celeborn.

“Mine?” questioned the Lord with laughter. “Why is this my fault?”

“You put it into their heads to ask for a sister instead,” complained Haldir. “Rúmil is much too pretty for a brother.”

“Rúmil?” questioned Elrond.

“He names them before they are born,” whispered Galadriel.

“There will be no more born,” warned Celeborn.

“I could pray for him to be uglier,” offered Orophin as an afterthought.

“No more praying!” shouted Celeborn.