Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Edited on Oct 26, 2008.
"…and although Cirdan assured me the ship would suffice for everything we needed to bring aboard, I was not anticipating your library, so we may have to be selective about what else we take with us. The books will all be coming, of course, I have packed most of them and…" Erestor glanced upwards at the mirror without moving his head. "You have not heard a single word I have said to you."

"Hmm?" Glorfindel let the dark heavy curtain fall from his hands before moving his left back into the tresses. The back of his hand purposely brushed against the nape of Erestor's neck, effectively calming whatever storm would have come otherwise.

Sedately, Erestor expounded. "You are smirking."

"I am most certainly not," countered Glorfindel.

"There is a mirror in front of me! I can see everything
you are doing!"

"There are four mirrors, but clearly they are in need cleaning, for what you thought was a smirk was a smile." Leaning down, Glorfindel kissed the tip of the pointy ear that was invitingly poking up through the dark hair. "I just recalled the first time it was that I did this for you."

"In... Gondolin..." Erestor said carefully, knowing how the memories sometimes caused his lover great pain.

"Aye, it was in Gondolin..." nodded Glorfindel, as if he had forgotten this, for indeed he had. Keeping track of one life was task enough, but two was daunting. "Yes, it was in Gondolin. My mistake, then. I was thinking of Lothlorien."

Erestor merely nodded, hoping he had not caused any undue grief by bringing up the past. "In Lothlorien. I do not recall you brushing my hair at any time when we were there."

"Brushing it? Silly thing, I am not brushing it anymore, I am just playing with it now," Glorfindel said with a chuckle. "Those mirrors must be filthy! What else do you see in them?"

"An elf who apparently wants to sleep out in the snow," replied Erestor, but he was grinning all the same.

"Sleeping in the snow - marvelous idea," said Glorfindel, playing along. "I have an even better one, however." He continued to draw his fingers through the inky strands and said, "What if you let me weave flowers in your hair as you once allowed me to in Lorien?"

"With Legolas and Gimli, and all of Elrond's grandchildren due in tonight? I hardly think it appropriate for me to be in such a state. I cannot begin to guess where you would find anything green or growing in the winter, and besides, such things are better saved for ceremonies of engagement or marriage or..." In the mirror, Erestor clearly saw Glorfindel avert his eyes. "Glorfindel?"

Biting his lip and then reaching into his pocket, Glorfindel said, "I meant for this to be a surprise. I truly did."

"I hate surprises."

"Yes, I know," Glorfindel said, and this time, he was smirking. "But I was just trying to keep the tradition. I mean, the 'engagement' was no doubt a surprise to both of us - practically non-existent, really, as was the 'bonding' in some ways. I thought I should try for three out of three with you."

Jerking his arm back, Erestor elbowed Glorfindel only hard enough to send the blond stumbling back a step. "You were not going to tell me about my own wedding?"

"Pretty good one, eh?" grinned Glorfindel. He dodged a backwards sort of kick that would never have connected from the way Erestor was still sitting on the stool. The entire time, Glorfindel's hand had been fiddling with something in his pocket, which he now drew out, hidden in his fist. "Well, seeing as how you now know, there is no sense in hiding this." He stepped closer again and opened his palm enough so that something bright yet faded hung down from a silver chain that was still in his hand. "My mother should be the one giving this to you, but since that is not ever to happen, I hope you will accept this from me," he said softly. Being very mindful of the dark waves of hair, Glorfindel brought the jewel around so that it hung over Erestor's chest as he fastened it behind his neck. It looked at first to be a polished stone of some dark blue and violet, but to the eyes of an elf who had lived long in Valinor, it was clear what the sea had for so many years kept within its depths.

"Where did you find this?" Erestor was finally able to ask.

Glorfindel settled one hand on either of Erestor's shoulders. "When we were on the shores of Mithlond inspecting the boat. I just thought it was a very nice rock, so I picked it up and put it into my pocket."

"Ai! Is that not how it always how it begins?"

"Hmm?"

Shaking his head, Erestor said, "I will have to read you the tales of Mr. Bilbo Baggins one day."

Nodding, Glorfindel continued, "Later, when I realized exactly what it was, that it was not just any stone, how the colors complimented you so, I had it polished and set, and now…" his voice trailed off somewhat shyly as his hands dropped down and he bent his knees slightly, wrapping his arms around Erestor's waist and placing his cheek against Erestor's back, breathing in the scent of lavender that was infused in his lover's hair. "I do hope you like it."

"It is beyond words," Erestor said carefully, touching the jewel. Glorfindel, he realized, perhaps did not truly know what he had found. The light of the two trees could no longer be seen in it, for the sea had slowly drawn the light away. What was left was an echo of darkness inside a hollow shell. Glorfindel could not tell; No one needed to know, not yet at least, Erestor decided. There were more important things on his mind. "What time is the ceremony?" he found himself asking as he placed his arms around Glorfindel's.