Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"What are the two of you doing down here so early?" questioned Elrond as he stepped into the kitchen.

"Eating," replied Haldir, holding up the bowl and spoon he had currently been concentrating on, while Elodien lifted her mug of coffee and said, "Breakfast."

"At this early hour?" Elrond frowned with disapproval. "It is much too early to be out of bed."

Elodien set her cup back down. "It's never too early if you're hungry." Haldir nodded his endorsement of this, but Elrond continued to disagree.

"The floors are cold and there is no fire in the hearth," he explained, drawing his night robe around himself tightly. "What you should do," he suggested, "is go back up to your room, snuggle under the blankets, and I will bring your meal up on a tray, as well as the meal for noonday, for the weather seems not to bode well-"

"For August?" Haldir nearly shouted, and Elrond looked quite taken aback.

"I am merely concerned for your well-being," he said, sitting down at the table between them.

"I'm not having another child," Elodien said pointedly.

Elrond sighed and looked as if he had been wounded. "Not at the moment, but-"

"And then am I to have another with Legolas, to make things fair?" wondered Elodien, biting her lip when Elrond's face fell. "I am sorry, Grandfather, I did not mean to upset you."

Elrond nodded, and saying nothing more, left the room. Haldir watched him go, and began to clear his food when the door finally swung shut.

"Something wrong?"

"I'm just not hungry," he mumbled, depositing his bowl in the washbasin.

Elodien sighed and placed her fork onto her plate, pushing it away. "I told you, I am not entirely adverse to the idea."

"I know, and neither am I, I just… I just miss them so much. I miss Legolas as well, but he shall return, at least," smiled Haldir sadly.

"I miss him, too," Elodien reminded him, swishing the coffee back and forth in her mug. "Even so, we can visit him. It is a tight squeeze, but we can manage," she smiled. She glanced over at him when she ceased to hear him moving about, and joined him at the counter. Her hand moved to his back and she rubbed it soothingly, whispering calming words to him as he leaned on the counter and sobbed.

- - -

Gimli's death had been hard on everyone, and Legolas had borne the brunt of the grief. Cursing himself outright for not spending more time with his fellowship companion while in Valinor, Legolas sought out the last of the nine walkers who had yet to face his mortality.

When Legolas showed up on the doorstep of Master Samwise's hobbit hole, the aged Halfling could scarcely believe his eyes. Legolas had every intention of moving in and staying with Sam until the end of the hobbit's days in an act to make up for his time lost with Gimli. Everyone, including Gandalf, had made an attempt to convince Legolas it was a bad idea, but as for Samwise, he invited Legolas into his home without question, and it seemed to bring back some of the Halfling's youthfulness to sit up late with the elf and talk of quests and adventures over tea, hot bread, and jam.

Elodien and Haldir found themselves quite alone in a house too big for their needs after Legolas made his temporary departure. Belegar and Lasiavis had both taken their leave, each of them finding a love they had lost, for such is the good fortune of those who are reborn. On the one hand, Haldir had been proud to have been such an important part of Eru's great plan, but he had twice in his life been awakened by cries of terror in the night, and could hardly again bear holding another young elf while they recalled in fear their gruesome death at the hands of orcs.

The house, it was decided, was a home meant for a family, and not two elves with very little need for great spaces. Haldir, Legolas, their brothers, and fathers, had spent a summer building the two-story home hidden just within the forest behind the King's Kastle after deciding an inn was not the best of places to raise two young, impressionable elflings. Unwilling to abandon it, the residence was offered to Lasiavis, who had a desire to raise a large family but turned it down in lieu of living in Oropher's palace with her husband Gwindor. Belegar gladly accepted the keys to the house after his wife, the daughter of Gil-Galad, threatened to make him sleep out in the rain if they did not move in, for it was an ideal place in her mind for their elflings to live.

When Haldir showed up on the doorstep of Master Elrond's house, he was first given a stern lecture on why one should not expect to simply be welcomed back into a house after being gone for centuries - and secondly, was thoroughly hugged by everyone in the house, including Elrond.

His former rooms on the third floor had in fact already been prepared for his arrival, and what was more, a few minor changes had been made. There was another room annexed from those that had been shared by Celebdreth and the twins, and most unusual of all, the nursery which had been connected to Elrond and Celebrían's chambers was now accessible through Haldir's study.

The occupants of the house had diminished somewhat through the years. Elrond was still master, and Celebrían did well to keep him in check regardless, with Galadriel and Celeborn happily in the house. Rúmil and Nenniach never had any thought of living anywhere else, while Orophin and Valarda had departed some years earlier to live in a more populated area. Currently they resided with Lhúnerin and Galadhon, the parents of Celeborn, and were a well-suited group, in humor and craft.

Tallasinde and Vilya did not live far away, but they were no longer in the house, for they had first chosen to reside in the hidden cottage that Celeborn and Galadriel had first lived in, a place now considered the House of the Golden Flowers and Silver Stars, before finding husbands and leaving the shore to live with them. Elrohir and Glorcheniel had rooms in the house, but they, with Celebdreth and his wife, Beineilien, spent much of their time at the King's Kastle, and when returned for brief visits, the group opted to stay in the birch tree. Elladan's days were spent in the Woods of Orome, where he and his wife, a maia, followed the dancing Vala Nessa and her worshippers. Erestor and Glorfindel remained in their cottage, close, but a safe distance from the house and those in it.

Of the original bustling household, only six remained. During his tour to reacquaint himself with the house, Haldir paused in the nursery the longest of all of the rooms, and finally realized he was being watched. Across the empty crib, he looked into the eyes of an elf who had within his heart many regrets, and his hand reached out to take Elrond's, not having to be told of his request.

"Give me time," was Haldir's answer.

Elrond gave him almost a week before the pestering began. First, it was minor things, the kind of things that perhaps the others would not have discovered had the house still been as busy as before. At breakfast, Elrond commented that the number of goats kept was too high, except that elflings did drink quite a lot of milk, and if ever one should happen to visit, the extra goats would be well worth having around.

Haldir kicked Elrond under the table. Elrond merely smiled at him.

While bringing down a few boxes of things from the attic one day, Elrond began to open chests that contained tiny blankets and clothing and toys, and sighed that the items had to be stored, for they were ever so colorful. When no one said anything, he announced loudly that he would be putting them away in the nursery - just in case.

As he left the room, someone bounced a stuffed duckie off his posterior. Elrond merely turned his head and winked at Haldir.

Haldir later found the chests stacked atop his desk.

Many evenings, the rest of the family would all unexpectedly retire early, leaving Haldir and Elodien alone at the fire. A few minutes later, Elrond would silently walk back into the room with a bottle of fey wine, a bowl of berries and cream, and a sly grin. After placing the items before them as if making an offering to some unknown fertility god, Elrond even went so far as to lead Elodien from where she sat one night, only to deposit her in Haldir's lap before quickly leaving the room, lest he be assaulted for his deed.

Now, before the break of day, Haldir allowed himself to be led up the many stairs and to their rooms. As the door was opened, there, on the middle of the bed, two large eyes stared up at him. His mouth opened, but no words came as he approached and picked up the small soft creature and held it to his breast.

"That's not Nibbles, is it?" asked Elodien, and Haldir closed his eyes and nodded. "A little faded, isn't she?"

Haldir looked down once again, dragging his thumb along a barely pink nose and light violet fur. Indeed, in all the many years, the rabbit was now nearly snow white, but softer than ever it had been. Holding it close, Haldir pressed a kiss atop the bunny's head and whispered, "Do you recall, in the nursery back home, how they both used to play with this?"

Elodien nodded. "I think they chewed on it more than play, but somehow, every messy substance known to elfling would wash right out of that poor, abused rabbit's fur. It's a shame it faded so."

"I want another one, El."

"Mmm, I think the twins would make you one. This one, as I said, doesn't much count as a purple bunny anymore."

"No, the rabbit is just fine," he said softly, reaching forward for her. Elodien stepped closer, and he took hold of her hand and pulled her to him. She stopped only when they were so close that their feet were touching, he sitting on the bed with the bunny while she stood over him. Bringing their joined hands to her belly, he said in a voice barely audible, "I want another one, another baby. I want one more little one to look up and call me Adar and drool on my shoulder and pull on my hair and wake me in the middle of the night and crawl into bed with us on stormy nights, even if only for a hundred years, even if only half that time, I want one more child to tuck into bed with Nibbles and rock in the moonlight and-" His voice cracked and he swallowed hard before he said, "I want one to be mine, to really be mine. And I want to name them."

This point had never sat well with him, and both Elodien and Legolas knew it well. When their son was born, Elodien had chosen a name easily, deciding to use an Elven tradition with a bit of a twist. Instead of using the prefix of Haldir's name, she chose to reuse the pet name Haldir's brothers and in-laws had used for him, and Arabeleg became Belegar. It was only later that is was realized that Haldir had not fathered Elodien's firstborn. Legolas was overjoyed when his daughter was born, and as the birth had left Elodien weak and mostly in the care of Haldir while Legolas managed the elflings, he called the baby Lasiavis, after his mother, Avisiel.

Elodien did not hesitate, and nodded in agreement. "You will have a difficult time naming our child if we do not have the child first," she smirked down at him. Haldir smiled, and placed the bunny aside.

In the hallway, two elves crept away from the door and down the stairs. Once on the final landing, Elrond embraced his wife tightly. "You are truly a genius, Ria."

"I know," Celebrían answered modestly. "Had you only asked me sooner, you'd not have so many bruises on your shins."

- - -

"Well?"

"Well, what?" asked Haldir, not looking up.

"Have you been drooled on and had your hair pulled yet?"

"No, but you can cross rocking him in the moonlight from the list." Haldir looked over his shoulder and smiled at Elodien, happy to see her mobile again. Much as she had expressed a desire to get out of the house and outside where there was more of a breeze, she had kept in the house and mostly in bed the last three days and nights. Weary as she still looked now, Haldir had learned from the last two times that trying to assist his wife would only result in him being slapped. Shifting a little, Haldir scooted to the right of the swinging porch bench, while Legolas slid to the left, allowing for Elodien to ease herself between them before Legolas kicked them off of the ground again.

"I came to see you earlier," said Legolas, drawing his arms around Elodien, "but you were asleep, so I dared not wake you."

"A wise decision, Las," she said, leaning sleepily against him. "It has been good to see you these past few days. Return to us soon, love," she said, and though it was not a plea, it sounded so for her weariness.

He held her close and said to her, "It will please you then to know I am returning, for Lord Elrond has offered Master Samwise room in the house, and he has agreed to living here. My visit with him has invigorated him, as has the news of an elfling, and he has suddenly drafted a new list of things to do."

The famed list of Master Samwise was now in its fiftieth or sixtieth revision, and many said it was this that kept the hobbit alive and well, for his vow was that he would not pass away from the land until he had fulfilled every last item on his list. When he had arrived, it was a page, and now, the entire thing could have done to rival Mr. Bilbo's original draft of his hobbit tale.

As if he had been cued, Samwise came out from the house, and no walking stick was needed for this Halfling, who refused to recount his age to anyone. In his hand was a mug of ale, and a pipe he smoked as he walked hung from his lips. "'Ello there, Mr. Haldir. May I offer to you my congratulations on the newest member of your family?"

"I kindy accept your regards, Master Samwise. Tell me, how many times did my poor husband knock his head on the ceiling of your home, for no letters did I receive from him this past year, and I must conclude he has suffered concussions too numerous to recall how to write."

Master Samwise grinned, always hoping to hear one of Haldir's lengthy and sarcastic insults. "I reckon he hit 'is head a few times, now and again, but if he didn't much write, I should wonder if it didn't happen every day!"

This caused laughter from all, even Legolas, who was too happy to be reunited with his family to care that he was the brunt of the joke. In the doorway, another chuckled, and Elrond approached from the house. He eagerly looked upon the elfling, but contained himself as he pulled two chairs over and positioned them across from the swing.

Instead of asking to hold the elfling, which was what he really, really, really wanted to do, he queried, "Have you decided upon a name yet?"

"I always had a name in mind, but I did not want to use it until I had time to speak with Legolas," said Haldir. He looked around Elodien and asked again, "You are sure you do not mind it?"

"I think there is no better name for him," confirmed Legolas.

Haldir looked lovingly at the elfling in his arms. The warmth of the evening allowed for him to have dressed the newborn in naught but a cloth diaper and the elfling seemed quite content with this decision. "Do you wish to hold him, Elrond?"

The peredhel leaned forward immediately to receive the elfling in his outstretched arms. "But what shall I call your son, Haldir?"

"I have named him Gimlin," he said as he gently placed the calm elfling into Elrond's arms. "In fact, Master Samwise, I stole the idea from you, in a way," he admitted, having recalled Samwise's penchant for naming his children after good friends.

"Ah," nodded the hobbit. "Well, then, if you plan to steal any more of it, I think you're behind by a dozen or so," he grinned.

"And it will stay that way!" proclaimed Elodien. "I do not know how your Rosie did it, Master Samwise, but I bow to her patience and obvious fertility," she laughed.

"Ah, my Rosie. There was a fine gal, if ever there was one," said Samwise.

Sitting in his chair cuddling Gimlin, Elrond cooed to the elfling, "Do you want to hear about Rosie, Gimlin? I think Master Samwise should tell us about Rosie," he said as the elfling gurgled a bit and made a happy little chirping noise.

Samwise looked at Elrond was a great amount of envy, and directed his question to Elodien. "Beggin' your pardon, my lady-"

"If you can wrestle Gimlin away from Elrond, you may hold him long as you like," smiled Elodien.

Samwise grinned, and looked around for a place to put his pipe before Haldir reached over and offered to take it from him. Dusting his hands off on his breeches, Sam carefully took hold of Gimlin as Elrond lowered the babe into his arms. "Aw, would you look at that, Mister Haldir, he's got your very own eyes, he does." Samwise tickled beneath the baby's chin and received a squeak of delight. "An' if you don't mind'n me sayin' it, he's as pretty an elf as you are, my lady," he said, blushing slightly at his own comment.

"I don't mind you saying it at all, Master Samwise," Elodien told him.

"Aw, it's just Sam, your ladyship," he answered, further reddening at her words.

Elodien countered him, saying, "I think you're entitled to calling me Elodien, if you're going to be in the house."

"I'll see what I can do with that," promised Samwise, turning his attention to the little one. "But first, I've promised a story, and a tale I shall tell," he said.

- - -

On the porch above, Galadriel motioned for Celebrían to follow her back inside. Once the doors were shut, Celebrían sighed.

"Are you going to tell him, or did you tell me so that I could tell him?"

"Neither. But you should know, and tell Elrond. It is better Haldir realize on his own," Galadriel told her daughter.

Celebrían frowned. "I do not like that idea. It broke his heart in times past. To have a third child reborn-"

Galadriel took Celebrían's hands in her own. "It is not at all like that, my child. Gimlin will not leave as his siblings did. He is meant to be with us. I shall say no more, but ask you to believe me."

"I only want Haldir to be happy, Nana," said Celebrían.

"And he shall be," Galadriel said, pressing a kiss to Celebrían's forhead. "Believe me, he shall."