Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"Haldir!"

The captain began to open his eyes, but squeezed them shut again. Sunlight was streaming directly where he was on the ground. It was odd, that in the evening he had no desire to sleep, but when day came, he wanted nothing more than to remain slumbering.

"Good, you're awake. Here, drink this," insisted Nenniach, helping to prop Haldir up slightly. Over the last few days, Haldir's back had healed enough so that he could lay upon many comfortable quilts and blankets that had been piled up into a sort of nest next to the stone wall. This greatly helped to increase his range of motion, and also, on an even brighter note, had allowed him to insist he at least be given a pair of pants. Without thinking, he began to drain the contents of the cup, but suddenly spat out the bitter liquid.

"Erestor said not to!" he hissed.

"Erestor does not hear your painful moans in the darkness of the night," whispered the elleth back, trying to tilt the cup back to Haldir's lips. "There is not much, just enough for the worst of the pain."

In no mood to fight, Haldir finished the rest of the drink. Nenniach set the cup to the side and gathered up a corner of her apron, wiping away what little had dribbled down from the corner of the elf's mouth.

"You've been making lembas," commented Haldir as he leaned back into his nest.

"Someone has to keep this place running," answered Nenniach, brushing away the stray flour that was on her arms. "Rest now, Erestor said he will come to check on you shortly. He said you're improving well, perhaps you might even move up into the trees in a day or two." She tucked the cup away into her apron, and Haldir knew he must not have been the only one to hear the approach of another elf.

Haldir smiled weakly at his brother's wife, unable to tell her there was no possibility of him climbing stairs or rope, but he nodded all the same. He knew how dreadfully worried she had to be, and was upset that what he had attempted to prevent had still come to pass.

Nenniach turned at once, and behind her, Haldir could see a tall and dark figure. "My child, there is an issue in the Great Mallorn. Something regarding the wine cellar and the reserve of ice," said a low voice. Nenniach nodded and swiftly left.

Settling down on the grass near Haldir once Nenniach had gone, Erestor set a small pile of letters and scrolls aside. "How is your foot?"

Haldir smiled. Erestor had somehow developed some sort of an odd game, and instead of asking him how his back felt - for it was on the third time the question was posed that Haldir answered using a string of colorful Dwarven phrases - that he began to ask about the rest of him. "My foot is fine," he answered, wiggling his toes.

"What about the other one?" questioned Erestor.

Haldir wiggled the toes on his other foot. "Appears to be in working order."

"Ears?"

"Haven't fallen off yet."

"A good sign. Elbow?"

Haldir bent his arm, feeling a slight pressure from his back as he did so. He winced, but replied, "It's doing well."

"Tongue?"

Haldir stuck his tongue out and tried to waggle it and blow spit at the councilor, but the breeze just happened to catch at the moment, and Haldir was next wiping his own drool off of his chin.

"Your recovery is coming along well. Already, I see your sense of humor is at full strength. We'll have you out of here in no time," said Erestor, pulling a handkerchief from his pocket and handing it to Haldir, who silently thanked him with a nod. "I hope you are hungry, I am having something sent down for us."

"I have no appetite," Haldir said, shifting a little.

Erestor clicked his tongue. "Not that I worry that you might waste away, penneth, but you must eat. Will you try at least? Just a bit."

"I shall take the suggestion under consideration."

"Silly stubborn elf," murmured Erestor as he began to shift through the correspondence he had brought with him. "Just like his mother," he said with a sigh, sorting the letters. Haldir knew with certainty what the elf searched for - a letter from Elrond, a response to the apology that had been sent. Whether it contained forgiveness or banishment, he had overheard Erestor tell Nenniach that he just wanted closure to the matter. Erestor dumped the stack back to the ground, and Haldir assumed what he wanted had not been found.

"Thank you." Haldir paused, uncertain of whether Erestor quite understood his words, and added, "Thank you for coming, Erestor." Erestor waved a hand dismissively, but Haldir did not stop. "I know the trouble you may face for this."

"If Lord Elrond cannot manage a month or two without my services, he may as well leave for the West now and leave Imladris to ruin," answered Erestor. His voice held little conviction, though, and Haldir decided not to press the matter. Instead, he noted that once again, the councilor wore no shoes, nor boots, his toes bare and hiding in the grass. What was unhidden was the mark Haldir had noted when Erestor had first come.

Catching where Haldir's gaze had wandered to, Erestor reached down to tug the leg of his pants over the design, but stopped. "You're curious, aren't you?" Haldir couldn't stop himself from nodding. Out of the corner of his eye, he noted Nenniach coming down the stairs with a tray of food. "I'll tell you about it over lunch," offered Erestor. "As long as you keep eating, I'll keep talking."

"You're a wicked one sometimes, Erestor," smiled Haldir, "but I shall agree to your terms."

"To agree that quickly, you must truly be curious," laughed Erestor, moving to Haldir to help him into a more suitable position for eating.

Halfway through lunch, Erestor casually rolled up the leg of his pants and slid his foot closer to Haldir.