Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Hal?”

Orophin waited a moment to make sure he still heard Rumil’s even breathing, then tried again.

“Hal?”

Orophin blinked up at the ceiling, arms stretched behind his head. He really didn’t want to move from the comfort of this position, but if need be, he would creep to the other side of the room to wake Haldir. Normally he would have, but after six years of sleeping in a bed that was not his own, he didn’t really want to.

“Hallidear?”

There was a rustle of sheets, a pause, and then a growl. “What?”

“You said you would not have me run off to Imladris for an elleth.”

“That I did.” Haldir recalled the conversation from lunch. “But it matters not for you have already said that your mysterious love lives here, and so you will not stray from the Golden Woods.” Thinking the conversation at an end, Haldir drew up his sheet and closed his eyes.

“Hal?”

This pause was much longer. “What?”

“You would not let me run off to Imladris for an elleth, but...” Orophin sat up in his bed. “You are letting Celebrian run off to Imladris for an elf. I don’t mean to insult you or anything, but are you not being biased in some fashion?”

“Orophin...” Haldir sat up in his own bed so that he could face his roommate. “You are my brother. We share a closer bond, and though Celebrian is close to us as well, she has always had a path separate from ours, or so it seems. I have always thought that we shall do great things, the three of us.” He nodded in the direction of Rumil’s bed. “Elrond told me today that I show a strong devotion to my siblings. But, I think with you and Rumil, it’s more than that. I depend on both of you, just as the two of you depend on me.” Haldir left his bed and went to the pile of cushions in the corner of the room, lounging against them as he sat down on the floor. “I might be the one to protect and watch over you, but you are the ones who make me laugh and enjoy life. I may have to bandage your scrapes and heal your wounds when you take a tumble, but you are the ones who return my caring and concern with a greater love. I would miss you terribly if either of you decided to leave.” Haldir brushed a tear from his cheek. “Celebrian, well, there’s an elleth that can take care of herself,” he said with a laugh.

Orophin had by now crawled out of his bed and onto the floor next to Haldir. He’d waited this long to sleep in his bed, another night wouldn’t kill him, he decided, as he snuggled next to his older brother. Haldir draped an arm around him, pulling him closer. Within moments, his other side was occupied as well, Rumil having woken and silently joined them on the floor. Haldir sighed, content, as he placed his other arm around Rumil, kissing each brother on the top of his head.

“So, who is she?” Haldir asked sleepily when Rumil had drifted back into reverie.

Orophin smiled. “Her name is Valarda,” he answered before he, too, slipped back into a restful state.

Haldir considered the name, eyelids drooping as he relaxed back into the cushions. “Valarda, hmm?” he whispered, before Orophin was asleep again. “Sounds like the adventurous type. Suppose we’ll need an elleth in our little group once Celebrian leaves for Imladris, for I certainly don’t have the time to braid flowers in your hair.” And the three brothers of Lorien slept peacefully to the morning.