Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Tugging on the reigns of his mount, Thranduil and Legolas waited patiently for the trio of brothers to join them on the edge of the forest. "It is wonderful to see you again," spoke Orophin, bowing to the King and the Prince as his brothers also did, all three upon their horses.

"Too long has it been since last we met," returned Thranduil, before coaxing his horse to step aside so that Orophin could easily reach Legolas. The pair were joyful to be reunited, and Legolas hastily reached for something in one of the saddlebags.

"While we are in Imladris, it seems only proper that you wear this," he said, producing a thin woven silver crown identical to his own. "If you don't mind," he added.

Orophin's horse sidestepped closer to Legolas'. With one hand, the Lorien elf took the crown, while the other reached out, winding around the back of Legolas' neck. He leaned forward, pulling his lover into a kiss before placing the crown over his brow. "It is an honor," he said with great reverence, and Legolas gave him a joyful smile.

"I have one for you, too, squirt," Legolas added after sharing another kiss with Orophin, and he brought forth a second crown, this one not so ornate, but beautiful nonetheless. "Though I am crown prince, my brothers would be thusly decorated. Would you mind? That I call you brother?" he asked Rumil.

"Mind? Nay, not at all," said Rumil, in awe as Legolas beckoned him forward. He bowed his head as the crown was placed upon him. "Thank you," he said, touching the delicate symbol of royalty. "Ah... what about..." He blushed, looking over at Haldir.

It was Thranduil who answered. "I regret that we do not have a crown of mithril for Haldir." Haldir looked as if he were about to say that there was no need to apologize, but did not have the chance, for it was the king who now retrieved something, wrapped carefully in a cloth. Skillfully braided into a wreath were clusters of leaves and berries on curving vines. "The custom of Greenwood, passed down from my father," explained Thranduil, whose own head was crowned by the green leaves and red spheres. He regarded the wreath again, looking almost shy. "I don't mean to presume, but we have had most favorable correspondence these past two centuries."

"I only wish it had been in something more intimate than the letters we wrote," whispered Haldir. He took the wreath and placed it upon his head. "Perhaps we might... renew our friendship in Imladris?"

Rumil, whose horse was between Orophin's and Legolas', said in a low voice, "I think they're going to kiss now."

"I think you're right," answered Thranduil. He grasped Haldir's arm and seized his lips hungrily with his own.

"Adar, this is a most joyful reunion, but if we do not leave now, we shall miss Elladan and Elrohir's ceremony," Legolas reminded him.

Leaning closer, Thranduil whispered into Haldir's ear, "You pretended to be Elrond's king, but know I would let you be mine in your own name."

"Then know that I would have you, my king, for in my dreams, it is you who rules me." The words were so very soft that only Thranduil heard, but the others seemed to know something of interest was being said, and so exchanged amused glances.

"The faster we get there," Legolas finally said to his father with a smirk. Thranduil imparted one final kiss and then reluctantly let go of Haldir's arm.

"Oh, I'm going to be so utterly alone," complained Rumil playfully as they began their journey. "You'll be off with him, the two of you will be off with each other, and I shall be off with myself."

"Perhaps you shall befriend the twins, they are near your age," suggested Legolas. "They share your same free spirit, too, Rumil."

"Do they? Well, perhaps, then. But they are only fifty, and just turned."

Thranduil smirked. "They're mature for their age. They are Lord Elrond's sons, after all. Besides, that's fifty each, between them, it's a hundred years."

Rumil laughed. "Well, when it's put that way, perhaps so!"

The party continued happily on to Imladris, where indeed Orophin did go off somewhere with Legolas, and Haldir and Thranduil together elsewhere. It should be mentioned that Rumil was, as he predicted, by himself, but only just briefly. But that, my friend, is the tale for another time. A Merry Christmas, a Joyous Holiday Season, and a Slashy New Year to you.