Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Written for the Erudite Exchange Bingo Challenge – write five prompts from the sheet. Prompts must be in a line/form ‘bingo’ on the sheet. Maximum of 500 words per prompt.
Ever since Glorfindel’s return, he had one thought on his mind: Companionship. Actually, the thought was slightly simpler, but one so refined as himself strived to find the most elegant phrasing for all occasions – even such things that made him toss and turn and sweat in the darkness. When the Valar had seen in their infinite wisdom to return him they had sternly laid out his course of action, which included protection of some of Turgon’s descendants and keeping a watchful eye on the enemy. Glorfindel had every intention of fulfilling these duties, but first he needed a little... companionship.

Thousands of years of solitude in a void will do that to an elf.

It was a happy circumstance that in his lone meanderings to reacclimate himself he encountered a small traveling party having difficulty with a pack of wolves. The beasts were no match for mighty Glorfindel, who had dealt with this vicious type of creature ages ago. Upon killing the leader and dispatching the rest of the pack, he sauntered up to the delicate elf-maiden and her companion at the center of the group. He glanced at the hands of the ellon beside her, noting no ring of marriage or betrothal. Her hands were covered by gloves, but surely from her body language the elf beside her was her brother or chaperone or some such thing. No matter; he looked unproblematic. This was going to be easy.

“On behalf of myself and my escorts, I thank you,” she said with a slight bow of her head. “I am Lady Celebrian, and these are my guides. To whom do we owe our thanks?”

“My name was Glorfindel when last I was here; I assume I shall keep that name now.” And he explained as quickly as possible the story of his return after taking gentle hold of her hand and chastely kissing the back of it whilst giving her one of his seductive looks. He could scarcely believe that after so long searching, he had hit the jackpot and found a noble instead of a peasant (which he was getting very close to settling for). Although the lady seemed not to notice and took more interest in his origins, the elf beside her narrowed his eyes and keep a careful watch on him, which admittedly gave Glorfindel goose bumps.

Celebrian smiled at the end of his tale and withdrew her hand politely. “My husband will be ever so thankful that you came when you did, Lord Glorfindel.”

Damn. Not an elf-maiden. “Your husband?” Glorfindel looked immediately to the lady’s right where the stoic elf stood.

This caused Celebrian to let out a twitter of laughter. “My husband, Lord Elrond, is home in Rivendell. This is his chief advisor, Lord Erestor.”

“We travel to Lothlorien, to see Lady Galadriel,” explained the advisor carefully. “You are welcome to join us. As always, safety in numbers.”

“Of course.” Glorfindel inwardly sighed and wondered if Galadriel was still as attractive as he remembered...